TIGER & BUNNY – 01 »« LEVEL E – 01

X-Men – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「Reassembly」 by 高橋哲也 (Takahashi Tetsuya)
Watch the OP!: Download, Streaming ▼

「The Return – 集結」 (Shuuketsu)

Marvel and Madhouse Studio’s third of four collaboration projects kicks off the start of the spring season and begins with a bang, showing when Jean Grey (Hino Yurika) was manipulated by Mastermind and went out of control as Dark Phoenix. As I described in the Spring 2011 Preview, the actual story takes place a year later, when Professor Xavier (Hori Katsunosuke) summons his inactive X-Men from all around the world to deal with a new problem arising in northern Japan — a group of supremacist mutant hunters called the U-Men.

Much like the opening theme and episode titles suggest, this first showing focused on the reassembly of the X-Men and getting their leader Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops (Morikawa Toshiyuki), out of the depressed state he’s in after losing his lover Jean. It also served as a bit of an introduction to the benevolent Professor X and his dream of seeing a peaceful coexistence between mutants and humans, while foreshadowing the twisted organ harvesting going on in Japan from young mutant Ichika Hisako’s (Tamura Yukari) point of view, who’s slated to become a junior member of the X-Men under the alias Armor.

For a premiere episode, it worked well as a lead-in to the plot taken from the X-Men: Legacy comics, and allowed me to get accustomed to the new character designs. Unlike the Wolverine anime that came before it, X-Men has a much more American style to it, most notably in the smaller eyes even for female characters like Storm (Hisakawa Aya), and the big burly stature of male characters, Beast (Tanaka Hideyuki) and Wolverine (Koyama Rikiya). Wolverine looks and behaves more like a beast, so it’s taking me a while to get used to it coming fresh off of the Wolverine anime. He’s much more like I’ve known him to be, though I still think they’re overdoing his temper a bit. I suspect it’s to help emphasize the love/hate relationship he has with Cyclops, some of which we saw this very episode. As for Professor X, the old wise man voice that Katsunoke portrays him with is the exact same one he used as the grandfather in the Mokke anime, so I can’t help but be reminded of the latter every time I hear him speak.

If not for the Japanese voices, this latest collaboration project can barely be perceived as anime, which may be intentional since the idea was to dub these shows and bring them stateside from the very beginning. Admittedly, I’m actually a bit torn over the change though. For canonical sake, it’s always nice to see something adhere to the original material, but part of the appeal of these projects (at least for me) was how they put a Japanese anime spin on American superheroes. However, given that I’ve already got a good taste of that from the Wolverine adaptation, I’m quite content with seeing how a much more faithful X-Men one turns out.

ED Sequence

ED: 「Fighting for Peace, Fighting for All」 by 高橋哲也 (Takahashi Tetsuya)
Watch the ED!: Download, Streaming ▼

April 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm
  • April 2, 2011 at 6:58 pmKarmafan

Looking forward to this. Iron Man was terrible and Wolverine was very good. Hope this series is like Wolverine and not like the snorefest Iron Man was.

• April 2, 2011 at 7:07 pmbertman4

I too have high hopes. I do like the character designs. I just hope that the personalities are true to the comic book source, although that can vary quite a bit with the era that you draw from. Personally I grew up with the Claremont era but I’m keeping an open mind.

• April 2, 2011 at 7:11 pmAyle

The art style is very reminiscent of Afro Samurai, is this done by I separate team? ?It doesn’t look like Wolverine and Iron Man…

• April 2, 2011 at 10:42 pmBROOKLYN otaku

WORD!!! i saw wolvie and i was like *in sam jackson voice* AFROOOOO!!!!!!!!!! but still, his ass needs to be shorter, looks like he’s wearing shoe insoles! btw- more afro samurai please!!!

• April 2, 2011 at 7:13 pmBossun

How much did you end up liking the Wolverine anime? Personally, I thought it was great; I really liked the ending. Much more emotional than I thought it would be

• April 2, 2011 at 7:22 pmDivine

I liked it except maybe the ending. I’ll have some more thoughts about it in the monthly post later this week.

• April 2, 2011 at 11:57 pmbake

Wolverine was fun to watch, but it was too drawn out and the premise didn’t hold water. I felt it was a weak series overall.

I simply don’t see how this series moved the Marvel franchise forward.

• April 2, 2011 at 7:25 pmthe_custard

storm was hot, but beast looks like a big puppy

• April 2, 2011 at 7:31 pmanna

X-MEN!!!!!!!! This looks very good. I’ll have to try and make time for this. Thanks for the post!

• April 2, 2011 at 7:32 pmCorn

I don’t know much about X-men and is wondering who the blonde girl in the white outfit is? Only watched the movies and x’men evolution

• April 2, 2011 at 7:50 pmSolarguardian

That’s Emma Frost. If you watch the movies, she’ll be featured in X-Men: First Class this summer.

• April 2, 2011 at 8:07 pmBossun

I don’t know if this is considered a spoiler, but I’ll mark it anyway. Her powers are Show Spoiler ▼

So she’s well-rounded in a battle

• April 3, 2011 at 4:07 pmStranger

She’s Emma Frost, an old character who has a long history with the X-Men. She was first introduced in the series as a badguy, being the White Queen of the Hellfire Club. Not sure how she’ll be played out in this adaptation, but in current canon she is reformed, part of the X-Men, and is in a relationship with Cyclops (guy with the visor).

• April 2, 2011 at 7:47 pmAllie

@Corn
    That’s Emma Frost

• April 2, 2011 at 7:50 pmArcad

Divine dude I thought you was taking this season off? Change of heart?

• April 2, 2011 at 7:56 pmfrubam

GOD Storm is so hot! So cute! Had a crush on her since the 1993 X-Men cartoon days =03. After seeing these screenies, I think I’ll be checking this one out myself. This has GOT to be better than X-Men Evolution =0\.

• April 2, 2011 at 8:13 pmNikki

Oh my, Storm is quite breathtaking in this animation. She’s my favorite character in the series so all is good. I have high expectations for this series, since X-Men is one of my main fandoms to begin with.

• April 2, 2011 at 8:19 pmImperialX

Woah, a post from Divine! Are you going to blog this season after all?

• April 2, 2011 at 8:48 pmDivine

I’m just helping out with first episodes. There are a lot of new shows that only I’m interested in and can cover raw to get a post out quicker.

• April 2, 2011 at 8:59 pmImperialX

Please find someone to do C and Steins;Gate. >.<

• April 2, 2011 at 9:05 pmDivine

There’s a good chance they’ll be covered, as the other writers are open to covering more shows in a more minimalistic manner. Exactly which shows get the lighter treatment can be shuffled around too. For example, I suggested that Prooof do so for Bleach while it’s in fillers.

• April 2, 2011 at 8:39 pmDjKu

They sure did sexy up Storm, but I think Wolverine’s anger is still spot on. He’s a very angry dude, he can’t even pose in a family picture normally.

• April 2, 2011 at 9:13 pmdsseraph

OMG, Wolverine actually looks like Wolverine,instead of some shitty bishounen with claws! This show is 1000 times better already!

• April 2, 2011 at 9:43 pmOtaku_Brawler

He wasn’t that bad in the other series but this representation of wolverine looks nice too. I just wish the trim down his hair a bit. It’s too wild

• April 3, 2011 at 1:13 amkarry

Well, kinda, except he’s too huge. In comics Wolverine is generally a shorty.

• April 2, 2011 at 9:57 pmtoonlink

less bloom in meh animu plz

• April 2, 2011 at 11:20 pmFlamingYu

My expression on this.

Wolverine looks like Beast, while Beast looks like some…dog?

• April 2, 2011 at 11:23 pmZeruFenrir

Wow, Storm looks amazing, probably the best I have seen her imo.

Wasn’t that interested in the Iron Man or Wolverine anime, but the animation on this got my attention.

• April 2, 2011 at 11:37 pmyanipheonu

Man, Anime Storm looks hot XD gotta check this out even if it’s just for her.

• April 3, 2011 at 12:19 amsynkronized

Storm definitely looks great, nice to see her done some justice.

Hopefully, Cyclops doesn’t get boned like he did in the recent X men movies. I found it retarded that the 3rd movie offed him like a chump and propped up Wolverine to be the main character.

• April 3, 2011 at 3:51 amGermanguy

..and don’t forget. She is 2nd in Command, after Cyclops. Well, i like her more. Because She has the wide Elements Power. Cyclops only have his Beam

• April 3, 2011 at 10:04 amRogue

The third X-Men movie is a major major failure… the coming first X-Men First Class looks promising though

• April 3, 2011 at 1:29 amrhogan

Please continue to cover this series on the site. I’m looking forward to the remainder of the show myself (Sorry I’m an X-Men fan).

• April 3, 2011 at 4:14 amGermanguy

+1. Well at least the first 3 Episodes.Onegai shimasu

• April 3, 2011 at 3:38 amconyo985

Is it any like this? Shock! Cry for the Moon!

• April 3, 2011 at 3:48 amGermanguy

Progressing. I mean, the 1 st Episode catch me. If 2nd Episode is good, too. I think i can get Hooked with this.

Not just Action. They try to give them Soul. Thats why i like X-Men. Mutants, that have a Human Soul, and Dignity

• April 3, 2011 at 3:58 amGermanguy

I am Curious, how are the 2 New Members. Yes, i am an Old x-Men Fan. But i know only the “Base” X-Men. These White Lady and the Girl over Beast, are unknown to me. Lets see, how they are (No Spoiler pls)

• April 3, 2011 at 4:00 amGermanguy

• April 3, 2011 at 4:24 amGermanguy

Btw, if allowed. I give you Guys some Manga, that have the same Gist. Zettai Karen Children
        There you have your “Professor X” team, Magneto team and these “Criminals” team.

• April 3, 2011 at 11:24 ambabawaba

White lady is Ema Frost and the girl is Armor.
        Now, some light comic related spoilers about Ema Frost, it may or not be relevant to the anime but if you really want to know here it is:

• April 3, 2011 at 3:53 amTan-Tan

No, it’s certainly Japanese. Only they can make American carton this awesome in animation.

Of course, Avatar: The Last Airbender is an exemption.

• April 3, 2011 at 3:53 amTaiakun

Lol is it just me or is the part where Storm saved the people on the boat quite weird? I was under the impression that all mutants are generally hated by mankind. Seeing the people cheering for Storm when I expected them to cover in fear was quite strange. In saying that, I think Storm actually looks very good in the anime version ;)

Anyone apart from me thought that Beast looks more like a large sized blue coloured carebear? XD

• April 3, 2011 at 10:31 amSkribulous

In the comics, Storm was a celebrity in Africa, since she accepted the title of “rain goddess” and generally was a benevolent patron to the people.

And even in the Marvel universe, some exceptions to the rule exist. Mutants are pretty big in Japan, like celebrities.

• April 3, 2011 at 11:40 pmTaiakun

Lol I suppose this must be one of the exceptions, considering they didn’t really know who she was (apart from asking whether she was part of the X-men). I felt that the particular scene in there was just to show the X-men in a different light to the Japanese audience compared to the American audience.

• April 3, 2011 at 11:27 ambabawaba

From what I know, this is how the beast looks currently in the comics since he suffered more mutations from his old(90s cartoon) looks.

• April 3, 2011 at 11:36 pmTaiakun

Ah, that explains it lol. The X-men I know was from following the cartoon series in the 90′s. Haven’t followed it since XD

• April 3, 2011 at 4:11 amfoshizzel

Holy crap another awesome spring anime! Loved the animation for this truly amazing stuff. You can tell they might have learned their lessons from Ironman and Wolverine. That said I still wouldn’t hold my breath on anything to amazing.

Everyone has a eight pack in this xD

Lol@ Wolverine’s hair damn!

• April 3, 2011 at 4:38 amconyo985

Beast character design is weird. With that snout and animal ears it’s just hard getting used to. I’ve seen the 90′s X-men and X-men evolution.

• April 3, 2011 at 7:04 amtcm-man

I also had watched the 90s X-men which was pretty good back in the days. To me Beast looks like a blue lion (instead of a dog as others said). The character design looks pretty good and retain the comic books look quite well in my opinion. Still has to watch the first episode, and actually don’t know what to expect from it. But I heard that one of my favorite voice-actress, Aya Hisakawa, (Moonlight from Heartcatch Precure, Youko from Twelve Kingdoms, Sailor Mercury) is Storm, so this is THE anime for me to check out!

• April 3, 2011 at 7:31 amUipt

For people who think beast looks weird, go wiki him up.
    If you follow the comics for the last 10 years or so, you will understand why he looks that way.

Emma Frost was also in the old 90s cartoon too.
    She was also in the Wolverine movie but I didn’t even notice it until I read a review about it cause her diamond movie form doesn’t look like her comics form.

I find it funny that they are in the op creds but doesn’t get their names published in English, both Armor and Frost.

• April 3, 2011 at 7:36 amKabayongtao

I can’t control it!

• April 3, 2011 at 8:42 amDragonite88

Why does Beast look like a dog and Logan look like a beast. lol The could made it just a bot better.
    Are we going to see more comics turn to show like this. We had Batman, Iron Man etc is there more to come.

• April 3, 2011 at 8:47 amRuu27

Wow. I really, really like how Storm looks in this adaptation.

• April 3, 2011 at 9:45 amSkiks

I’m kinda happy to see armor in this.

• April 3, 2011 at 10:00 amA BANG!

Wow… the first episode is really good! Very similar to Fox’s X-Men animated series which I followed religiously as a kid… Was going to sit out this season but I might just try to slip in X-Men and Nichijou http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28TV_series%29

Anyone knows who’s the villain that pops out in the ending after Juggernaut (before Mystique)?
    I’m also glad Magneto will be featured in this adaptation (at the very least a cameo?)…

• April 3, 2011 at 10:07 amSilentmanX

1) the guy who animated this is the same guy who did Afro Samurai

2) will you be blogging this?

• April 3, 2011 at 10:20 amUmaro

BESERKER BARRAGE

• April 3, 2011 at 9:27 pmomeganx

I will scream like a girl if he actually has that attack in here!
      THen again in the anime, the bad guy would just be pieces of meat by the time its over,

• April 3, 2011 at 11:29 ambabawaba

This is the first time I’ve found Storm to be attractive and in this particular case she is extremely hot

Damn those tities kept distracting me

• April 3, 2011 at 11:40 ampagan poor

Interesting mix of original and “newer” X-Men. Also interesting they start with the Dark Phoenix story. I haven’t really cared about the madhouse translations of the marvel characters, but I think I’ll give this a shot. Fan of the 90′s animated X-men, as well as the comics from before. Wonder how many more show up.

• April 3, 2011 at 9:25 pmomeganx

HAving a nerd/nostalgia/childhood erection right now!

• April 4, 2011 at 3:15 amAidenson

Watching and reading X-Men over the past 20 years, and watching anime for the same amount of time made me aware of why i stopped liking X-Men. the characters are great but the storylines has always been bleek to say the least. From enslavement to super extraterrestrial invaders to extinction, i have never read or watched a happy ending for any of the characters. Chalk it up to the american formula of never happily ending or evolving or developing a series to completion i.e. the simpsons. i am hopeful this X-Men anime is more lighthearted than its american counterpart and just tell a good story with excellent animation.

• April 4, 2011 at 3:22 amMartianMage

I watched this and I must say it’s pretty good episode.

• April 4, 2011 at 7:04 amMad_Dog

seriously if you blog anymore of this shit I’ll consider you a traitor to anime.

• April 4, 2011 at 12:38 pmYanDaMan

A troll on Random Curiosity, I’ve seen it all.

• April 4, 2011 at 7:27 pmomeganx

Crap, the only thing left now is RC covering hentai series….

• April 4, 2011 at 12:18 pmcain

Meh, don’t really like. Some of the “japanese maneurism” (-cough- Watch her actions during the little fight between wolvie and scott-o > . >) that Storm pulled out were just awkward for the type of character she is. Sure, she is beautiful (halle berry-prettyish this time around I guess), but I have always seen her as someone who always act professional. And sadly I also doubt scott would shoot logan in the face like that, never seen him as having any real chance in a fight against the latter if any of them were serious even.

Wolverine is always calm and reserved unless you want to pick a fight with him, so the whole acting beastly thing is just a little bit off. But at least, he looks the part. Unlike that ‘thing’ in the Wolverine anime.

I however like the new look of Beast, he is kinda cute-r now I guess.

• April 4, 2011 at 2:39 pmbabawaba

You dont really seem to know much about the xmen if you think beast is sporting a “new look”. Cyclops and wolverine were spot on, the only complain could be about wolverine’s stature.

• April 4, 2011 at 4:24 pmcain

how they look shouldn’t matter as much as how they act. And right now, it’s awful. I will probably be watching it side by side with Wolverine and X-Men, for the lulz.

• April 4, 2011 at 7:55 pmbabawaba

Again, you are wrong about the way they act. Thats exactly how they are in the comics, the only one thats a little off is Storm.

• April 4, 2011 at 3:50 pmo0vk0o

they’re really missing the whole prejudice/racism theme that was always involved with the x-men franchise. Still the first episode was enjoyable in its own way.

• April 4, 2011 at 7:57 pmZaku Fan

Cyclops optic beam looked weak,overall nothing really outstanding

• April 4, 2011 at 9:01 pmbabawaba

Cyclops can control the intensity of his optic beam and there wasnt any situation where he would need an extremely powerful beam in the entire ep. “Killing” Logan was as strong as it needed to be.

• April 4, 2011 at 10:23 pmHeatth

Just passing to fix a misconception: this anime is not based, at all, in the comic X-Men Legacy. X-Men Legacy was, at first, a comic made to explore Xavier and his past, while latter it mutated to show Rogue working as school counselor and taking care of some students.

For what I know, this seems to be more based on Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men and Morrison’s New X-Men.

• April 5, 2011 at 7:47 pmRzerox21xx

Hisako really does look like Hinata especially like this, about to fight Pein

• April 9, 2011 at 12:36 pmJeanie

Anyone loving the second episode?
    Wow… this must be the anime with one of the most impressive animation and best looking characters ever!

Madhouse has outdone themselves with this one
    Emma Frost in action next week… OMG :)))))

• April 21, 2011 at 3:46 amDisillusion201

This actually didn’t turn out so bad… so far. As a dedicated Marvel fan I steered clear of the Iron Man and Wolverine series. But this actually looked appealing. There were some things here and there like how Divine pointed out with Wolvie’s temper. I’ve never known Wolverine to be so much of a “brute” esp. to women. He’s actually quite the gentleman to them. I was also shocked at the fact that the people DID NOT freak out when Storm used her powers to save the other passengers on the boat. I mean saving lives or not mutants just aren’t praised unlike other superheroes like Captain America, Spider-Man, etc.

I’m also glad that there are people who know who Emma Frost is.

I just hope they keep up the good work because I actually have high hopes for this.

I was also surprised to find out that the girl, Hisako Ichiki is a canonical character

Furthermore, the U-Men are also canon as well…

That said, it’s good to know they’re not just making up things a bit too much, though I wouldn’t mind an original mutant character at the least like the upcoming X-Men: Destiny game will feature 3 new original mutant characters.