« Yumekui Merry – 12

Yumekui Merry   13   22 Yumekui Merry   13   23 Yumekui Merry   13   24
Yumekui Merry   13   25 Yumekui Merry   13   26 Yumekui Merry   13   27
Yumekui Merry   13   28 Yumekui Merry   13   29 Yumekui Merry   13   30
Yumekui Merry   13   31 Yumekui Merry   13   32 Yumekui Merry   13   33

「夢ふたたび」 (Yume Futatabi)
“Dream Again”

Warning! This impression contains maximum rage! For the faint of heart, please do not read on! If you liked the anime and do not want to see it being torn apart, please do not read on! You have been warned.

JC Staff stopped trying. The animation was by far the biggest dip all season, and even the voice actors sounded off, namely Yui. Strength of will? What? Do you know what that really means? It means, “I can’t think of anything better, so I’m going to use an immeasurable cop-out to finish the story.” Yumekui Merry’s finale was absolutely terrible. The one thing resolved was that Merry now has some form of acknowledgement that she can send dream demons back. Too bad when it’s in the middle of senseless writing, it doesn’t mean much anymore.

This is how it went down in the writer’s room:
“Hey, let’s make Mistletainn really overpowered.”
“So Yumeji’s going to lose right away then, making the cliffhanger entirely pointless?”
“Yeah, that’s fine. Anyway, we need to figure out how to get rid of these filler characters in case we get a second season.”
“We’re going to get a second season?”
“C’mon FOCUS! Okay, how about we let Kawanami & Lestion sacrifice themselves, but as a twist, it didn’t really work!”
“Wait, but isn’t that pointless too?”
“It’s okay, we’ll make it all dramatic, it’ll be fine. Plus, it’ll do something later when Merry wins. Oh but first, let’s trap her with some power Mistletainn has and make it so it’s like a metaphor of her struggles over the entire season. Isn’t that brilliant? Damn, I must be a genius.”
“Uh, so what do we do about Yumeji?”
“Hmm, well, I can’t see much else, but he’s related to John Doe right? Let’s just give him his weapon, and he can summon it using the power of will. Then after some struggles, Merry will come out because of Yumeji’s promise that’s been their only bond, Yui will blow her air trumpet, cut multiple times to Kawanami to show how brain dead she is, Engi will miraculously heal, and then Merry will beat her up purely because Yumeji believes in her! Ah, it’s almost romantic.”
“Do you really think it’s reasonable enough to string together a bunch of random facts mixed with shit we pulled out of our ass without any concrete solution except, ‘it can, so it will’ and pretty much undermine the entire series we’ve been developing up until now?”
“You know, you’re starting to become a real downer. But don’t worry man, this is going to be the most epic finale ever. I just know it.”

Yumekui Merry   13   34 Yumekui Merry   13   35 Yumekui Merry   13   36
Yumekui Merry   13   37 Yumekui Merry   13   38 Yumekui Merry   13   39

Final Impressions:
It’s amazing how little we actually know about dream demons, other than that they’re some sort of mystical creatures from a land somehow connected to ours, and they now want to terrorize our world because they want to “dream.” However, I can recognize that this is not the fault of the anime nor the manga, but the fault of the person in charge that couldn’t see that an adaptation of this series would be so incredibly hollow of substance. I mean, here’s how many questions I have after watching up till now: Do the dream demons work for the humans and create their dreams? Is it a labor thing? Is it an unfair mechanism that would actually give reason to spur Elcres’ rebellion? Or are they just an entirety in itself, a world separate but only connected during a dream, where a demon might inhabit from time to time and return to their own respective worlds after that dream ends? Does the anime provide any of this basic information? That’s a huge resounding no.

The show ended up a deformed regurgitation of the same plot devices in different forms because the studio decided not to work with any material past a certain point. What is it J.C. Staff? Feeling a little egotistic? Think you’ll actually go on to make a sequel? You might as well pull all the stops and take as much development the manga has so far and mix it up with your original ending. And if the Gods will it, it might even be good.

But let’s see, plot holes, loose ends, animation issues, juvenile original material, lack of depth, and no satisfaction whatsoever. Impressive list. I’m sorry, I tried, I really did. I gave it a fair shot all the way until this last episode, hoping that it might just pull some stuff together, but nope, J.C. Staff will be J.C. Staff. Everything that I still felt was good about this show, such as the characters, was completely destroyed in the laughable finale. Good thing the manga keeps the characters intact, giving me the perfect reason to switch over. In conclusion, this half-assed Yumekui Merry should have never been made, and this will be the more awesome replacement.

seriously what the fuck

April 8, 2011 at 1:40 am
  • April 9, 2011 at 5:18 amSkins Thunderbomb

Glad I dropped it at episode one.

• April 9, 2011 at 7:56 amMegas

This is what happens when you put a whole bunch of BS in a bag, mix it up, & call it goulash – er anime. I can’t really think of another finale that was done so shitty – but the whole anime was shitty so the finale couldn’t be anything but. Oh yeah, I still have no idea what this shit is about, if it was about anything at all except a belly button.

• April 9, 2011 at 8:02 amcaramel_cod

You didn’t even mention how all the bloated buildup to Mistletainn’s deafeat amounted to a 2 second death sequence. I couldn’t believe how anticlimactic it was, especially since Ijima just disappeared.

• April 9, 2011 at 12:16 pmRayshi

So glad I stopped when shit got slow.

• April 9, 2011 at 12:37 pmMonica

JCStaff they always fuck up adaptions from novels. but I’m hoping Hidan no aria

• April 9, 2011 at 12:43 pmVictor3y

Yeah, I was curious so I checked the manga after this terri-bad ending; the manga’s at least 51 times better

• April 9, 2011 at 12:49 pmAnon

At least, the ending wasn’t as bad as NGE.

While I agree that the ending sucked, I had already lost enough interest that it didn’t really matter to me. It is funny to see all this rage though. How about you people rage less and read the manga more.

• April 9, 2011 at 1:13 pmFiaki

D: I don’t know how bad this was ,since I dropped anime after episode 4 >_< Manga is better and takes less time XD

• April 9, 2011 at 3:16 pmShirt

POW! *pose* My name is Yumekui Merry and fight against plot and all that makes sense! Take that faggot anime lovers! >:O

Yui: “DAMEEEEEEEE!!” xD

Omg I was crying from laughter all the way through the bad camera angles and “fight scenes”. This show only had one, ONE!, redeeming quality and that was its soundtrack. Props to the team who composed the music because it was fantastic.

• April 9, 2011 at 6:33 pmMeowV6

This is what happens when you mix the Manga (which is good) with poor attempts at originality on something that wasn’t broken. They should have never done a series like this without the intent of sticking with the original plot line since this episode was just a last minute attempt to ram content into the anime with no room to explain it. Its even worse since Treesea is about the same as her manga alternate (plus easier to stand without the teacher lackey who just “vanishes”). Very disappointing.

• April 9, 2011 at 9:01 pmAnon

• April 11, 2011 at 11:23 amTari

Pretty curious about this, myself, actually.

And I think I’ll give the manga version of Yumekui a shot. Was not impressed with the anime at all, so I dropped it back in episode 4 or 5. I tend to be a bit more lenient on manga, though, seeing as how I can read it at my leisure.

• April 11, 2011 at 11:25 amTari

Go figure, I didn’t realize there was a whole ‘nother page of comments. Denpa Onna, eh? Was already planning to watch that. :)

• April 10, 2011 at 7:37 amFalmung

The manga is much better. I don’t know why they had to deviate from the plot.

• April 10, 2011 at 2:22 pmSnicket

Anyone notice this is becoming an accruing trend for JC staff? Any series they do; starts out strong, but starts to tip roughly at the midway point. And then falls flat on it’s face right at the end. It’s like there trying to piss people off.

Granted their are a few gems this studio had made, but there completely lost in the sea of other sh** they have produced.

This series is a prime example of this formula to a tee. Kiiragi pretty much summed my thoughts on this series. So i really nothing else to add.

-Though on a side note: Is it just me or has a lot of series this season ended with a wtf or meh ending?

• April 10, 2011 at 7:28 pmBaKaYaRou

Agree, Index also have ended with a meh!!! at the end… though it’s still better than this one alot.

There is still one series that I wanted to see the ending and I hope it wouldn’t dissapoint me and the other people who were watching that series… I mean the Madoka Magika series..

• April 11, 2011 at 5:06 amLysferd

Six episodes ago, I actually was trying hard to overlook the anime’s flaws, because the manga ruled. But now I hand it over to you, Kiiragi; you have accepted how fucking shitty that adaptation was, and all you said in this post sounded true to me.

Yumekui Merry anime fucking FAILED!

To all guys out there that can buy manga or read them online, get the manga, even if it’s just to fix the wounds that (stupid) anime made in our hearts. lol.

• April 11, 2011 at 9:15 ambleh

bleh…if there will be a second season(god help us all) i dont even want to watch it after this BS

• April 13, 2011 at 8:04 amahelo

Air trumpet/trombone sealed it. Bad ending.

• May 6, 2011 at 6:49 pmHachi-san

The series was actually pretty good, the art was amazing, characters were typical anime character, and the plot was interesting. It just wasn’t meant to be a seasonal anime. It should have carried on like Tegami Bachi, or death note. They just had too much plot for a season. It wasn’t bad, it just got cut off too soon

• May 7, 2011 at 12:20 pmnubc4kez

Err. Well, even I’m almost at a loss for words I guess. It’s not really THAT bad, I think. The trombone part was pointless..and the plot..man, the plot..-_-III I don’t know about what the original plot was like and I’m not about to compare them anyway, but the whole 思いの強さ thing is kinda lame and…loss for words. Looks like you feel a lot worse if you compare it with the manga, since I’m not actually enraged.

Can’t deny it’s been interesting, though..but interesting’s probably the nicest word you could use for this.

• May 7, 2011 at 12:27 pmnubc4kez

Forgot to mention that the theme this time round was “dreams/ambitions/heart/feelings” just in case anyone’s raged too much to look back upon this anime. Not a very good theme for starters..and it didn’t deliver well either.

• May 7, 2011 at 12:29 pmnubc4kez

Oh man! I was commenting before I reached the very end..I think I can let everything by with Merry’s nice blush and smile at the end.

• « Older Comments