Double-J – 01 »« Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi – 01

Hidan no Aria   01   25 Hidan no Aria   01   26 Hidan no Aria   01   27
Hidan no Aria   01   28 Hidan no Aria   01   29 Hidan no Aria   01   30
Hidan no Aria   01   31 Hidan no Aria   01   32 Hidan no Aria   01   33
Hidan no Aria   01   34 Hidan no Aria   01   35 Hidan no Aria   01   36

「La Bambina」
“The Girl”

J.C. Staff is back with the Toradora duo of Majima Junji and Kugimiya Rie in their latest light novel/manga adaptation, except this time we have a bunch of armed detectives in training known as “Butei” (Busou + Tantei). As I described in the Spring 2011 Preview, the attention to detail with the Butei specializations and the weaponry they use is one of the highlights of this series. What I didn’t mention then was how the lowly rank E protagonist Tooyama Kinji is actually a rank S Butei in disguise due to his Hysteria Savant Syndrome, a.k.a. “Hysteria Mode”. Supposedly a genetic condition, when Kinji gets sexually aroused — even if it’s by rank S Kanzaki H. Aria’s unbelievably soft A-cup breasts in a push-up bra — he turns into a “mega playboy” with superhuman judgement and reflexes. The end result is an extremely suave change in personality, which comes off incredibly lame with Kinji cutting the cheese pretty thick on everything he says to girls, but extremely enjoyable to me as a longtime fan of DNA².

I suspect most readers will be too young to have read/watched Katsura Masakazu’s early 1990s series, but the similarities in the main protagonists are uncanny. In DNA², Momonari Junta is literally a “Mega Playboy” when he transforms, winning over every girl who basks in his good looks and chivalry, and causing a severe population problem in the future with his children, his children’s children, and so on. Much like Kinji’s Hysteria Mode, it’s completely absurd and activates involuntarily, but when you throw in a “DNA Operator” from the future and the fact that Junta has a condition where he throws up when he’s sexually aroused, you get one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time. (Puking anime yay.) In Hidan no Aria, the time-travelling DNA Operators and population problem are replaced by Butei and the criminals out to kill them before they graduate, but most of the same appeal remains intact.

While the production is fairly top-notch and there’s reason to believe this will turn out to be a relatively good series, I’m inclined to call it a guilty pleasure of mine since there’s very little it can do wrong in my eyes. I’m more than willing to overlook how Aria’s short skirt can defy gravity while she’s dangling upside-down just because it looked cool. Some of the best fan-service came from Kinji innocently slamming into what’s arguably the best airbag in the world, and winding up in the always precarious north-south position. The two female support characters introduced thus far, childhood friend/model student Hotogi Shirayuki (Takahashi Mikako) and “big-busted loli” otaku Mine Riko (Ise Mariya), served as great polar opposites in making Kinji’s desire to keep his Hysteria Mode under wraps even more difficult, be it wearing lacy black underwear or sharing wild sexual delusions with the entire class. You can never go wrong with Ise Mariya in these wacky breast-hugging roles either. I just love the goth frill accents Riko’s added to her own uniform too.

Story notwithstanding, the real question is how bearable Kugimiya Rie will be in another outspoken, lolita-type role. There’s definitely a heavy dose of all things Rie from Aria as she goes all out with her signature tsundere voice, but the difference from characters like Shana is that Kinji can sit her down and leave her humming and hawing as he takes care of business. Had it not been for his Hysteria Mode, there’s a good chance that this series would’ve gone down an all-too-similar path of an elite heroine dragging an unwilling male protagonist along for the ride. However, with Kinji’s god mode to balance out his unwillingness and most of all, to keep Aria’s haughty attitude in check, it’s a whole different “beast” of a high school romantic comedy. The gun-touting, knife-swinging armed detective premise simply serves as a distinguishing aspect to make all the quirky scenarios work. And work they do, if this first episode is any indication of things to come.

At the moment, I’m so sold on the character interactions and wanting to see more of the all-mighty Kugimiya Rie tsundere brought to her knees that the plot is completely secondary. I still want the progression to be somewhat sensible and have its climactic moments, but my tolerance level is pretty high for blunders along the way simply because I enjoyed this first showing even more than I thought I would. That’s coming from someone who was looking at Hidan no Aria to be the replacement for Infinite Stratos too, which as most people will know, was my favorite new show last season.

ED Sequence

Hidan no Aria   ED   01 Hidan no Aria   ED   02 Hidan no Aria   ED   03

ED: 「カメリアの瞳」 (Camellia no Hitomi) by 中野愛子 (Nakano Aiko)
Watch the ED!: Download, Streaming ▼

Eat your heart out SHAFT. J.C. Staff’s countering with some extremely tantalizing jailbait of their own this season. Fresh off of Yumekui Merry, they’re now masters of the midriff too.

Hidan no Aria   01   Preview 01 Hidan no Aria   01   Preview 02 Hidan no Aria   01   Preview 03
April 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm
  • April 15, 2011 at 7:24 pmP0NCH

I love the seeing the Toradora! duo back in action :)
    I’m not completely sold on the story, but will definitely check out the next few episodes!

• April 15, 2011 at 8:20 pmShirt

I’m sold because of the guns. They’re animated so well and I haven’t seen an anime with guns this detailed in a long time. Nichijou is an exception because weapons aren’t part of the story.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:26 pmAisu

Like the general story, so it’ll be a pretty good series I think. Not an amazing one, but a fun watch- almost like a better Dragon Crisis.
    Maybe it’s because when in comparison to Denpa Onna, Iroha, AnoHana, ect. it loses some of the impact for me.

I’ll stick it out though. Aria looks really cute in that white dress <3

• April 15, 2011 at 7:28 pmPandAEmic

Not sure how faithful this adaptations going to be but it’s worth the watch because it’s very deep.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:23 pmSoiyeruda

Just peeking at the manga, they basically covered the first 3 chapters and a little bit of the 4th in the first episode, minus a few scenes and the addition of new ones.

At that pace, they’ll either start taking material out of the original light novel, or just make their own material, though they might slow down their pace.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:29 amSerapita

Knowing JC Staff, they’ll probably making their own stories… and a sucky one. But I do hope they’ll stay true to the light novel. The stories are very deep and interesting, which I doubt JC will be able to do if they decide to make original content of their own.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:26 pmPandAEmic

Been excited for this one for a long time.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:30 pmMonica

Come on J.C. Staff, Surprise me.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:31 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Can’t judge too much on the first episode, but it’s something different for me to see, so that’s enough to keep me watching to see how it turns out.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:32 pmPeepQ

This shall be a nice high school romantic comedy, I do believe so.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:45 pmLordHuggington

Overall, an entertaining episode. I’m not really warming up to Aria, though, as she comes across as just another fiery half-pint fighter girl. Nonetheless, the show looks like a good mix of action and comedy.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:46 pmanishuma

First episode was pretty much faithful to the manga so far.I’ve been keeping up with the manga way before this anime was even announced.Can’t wait to see a little catch up.

• April 15, 2011 at 7:55 pmtutzi

ore..zombie su..ato..masou shoujo su… Oh wait, wrong show.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:12 pmfirecow

I just hope it doesn’t end up like Yumekui Merry and become rushed in the final episode since they only have 12 episodes to do. Oh wait 11 actually.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:13 pmBROOKLYN otaku

COME ON, seriously how many of yall also thought that that bubbling pressure screen meant he was about to pop a Boner..RIGHT?! RIGHT?!!!……………………..just me?

• April 16, 2011 at 3:56 am7

tbh I thought he jizzed his pants

• April 16, 2011 at 12:39 pmOmega

The bubbling pressure screen, it’s the representation of raging hormones.

• April 16, 2011 at 11:53 pmStranger

It’s basically that, really. His Badass Mode activates when he’s aroused. I just suppose that Badass Mode initiates before he actually gets an erection or something.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:17 pmShirt

School Uniforms now come equipped with para-shoots, guns, & double katanas?! Betcha ya won’t see that on J-List!

After all the ludicrous obento we’ve seen from Haruna, there’s literally nothing that can surprise me in that department. What did surprise me was how cool Kinji was. Reminds me of Ayumu. I like him. And his gun. Speaking of which, I think it’s pretty cool how people are thinking of new ideas for “school codes”. I haven’t seen anything like this before.

Oh and if Ayumu doesn’t score with Haruna before the end of the show, I’m dropping this! >:1

• April 15, 2011 at 8:18 pmYs10

Isn’t her name Mine Riko? Probably just a typo though. I’m primarily watching for Shirayuki and Kinji. It will be a few eps until we get to meet Reki who I’m also looking forward to. Aria just doesn’t stand out enough for me.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:48 pmDivine

Fixed, thanks.

• April 16, 2011 at 1:46 amX

Same here! I am looking forward to Shirayuki X Kinji the most and Riko x Kinji a whole lot more than with Aria cuz she gets a bit annoying later on for me. While Shirayuki and Riko moments with Kinji are always a blast and always worth it to look forward too, the only reason why Aria gets a great appeal for me is when she gets caught up in the jokes with Shirayuki and Riko.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:20 pmBullrogg

Rie kugiyama Can’t go wrong. :D.

• April 16, 2011 at 8:02 pmKarmafan

I agree, my favorite voice actress.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:23 pmFlamingYu

Here hoping Kinji doesn’t turn into another “Touma”.
    I had fun watching Kinji(Hysteria) VS Aria.

Thanks for the post, Divine. Hope someone from the team will continue blogging this?
    Filed under First Impressions, Series Introduction.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:24 pmSoiyeruda

It’s also filed under Snapshots, so it’s unlikely.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:25 pmBossun

This has got to be like Kugimiya Rie’s 100th role at least. She’s become quite the popular seiyuu over the last 10 years

• April 15, 2011 at 8:28 pmShirt

Tell me about it. Everywhere I go and there happens to be anyone who knows anything about seiyuu, Kugimiya’s name pops up.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:47 pmLee

Definitely looking forward to the hero-heroine interactions, but based on light novel spoilers, there’s one part of the plot that sorta puts me off. Can someone tell me if this has been true for all the light novels so far:

• April 15, 2011 at 9:32 pmYs10

The first 3 and a half novels are translated so you can find out for yourself. I haven’t seen much of that but it might be in some of the untranslated stuff.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:39 pmLee

Well, I took your advice, and I have to say that I don’t know what to think now. The mystery is getting thicker and thicker, so I’m really hoping that this anime gets a continuation to eventually cover all of the light novels.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:50 pmjrj

toradora gun x sword version?! it is at least interesting to see the male protagonist actually do something in this type of show :) eagerly waiting for more.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:56 pmShojunichi

Nice (‐^▽^‐)

• April 15, 2011 at 9:04 pmAlec

For some reasons, I’m not itching to watch this anime. Its probably because of Kugimiya Rie

• April 15, 2011 at 9:10 pmRasone0104

without knowing who the v.a. was…..
    Why was I not surprised it was gonna be Kugimiya Rie.
    ~anyone else thinking the blood thing in the ep had something to do with his Show Spoiler ▼

• April 15, 2011 at 9:15 pmxcswmboy

That classroom scene had me imagining how Toradora would have been if Taiga had guns.

• April 15, 2011 at 9:41 pmNinja Penguin

So THIS is what happens if you mix Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, and guns. I like :D

• April 15, 2011 at 9:43 pmJustin

Ugh… Although the episode is good, can anybody tell me if this will become a harem series later on? Or are the three girls-one guy just for an ongoing gag for him trying to repress his hysteria mode?

• April 15, 2011 at 9:54 pmdeafvader

Didn’t really like the manga. Hopefully the anime would make me follow this series again.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:14 pmKnillinux

[x] Short
    [x] Tsundere
    [x] Flat chest
    [x] Making the male protagonist her dog/slave
    [x] Kugimiya Rie

Wait.. I’ve seen this before…

I’m a huge Kugimiya Rie fan, but I still can’t help being baffled at how closely this follows her previous characters. xD

• April 15, 2011 at 11:03 pmKumakaori

Typecast much? … Enh, if it ain’t broke, dont fix it ;P.

• April 16, 2011 at 11:33 amdxb_blackwolf

Also, there are two tsundere Rie lolis this season :D I’m amazed at how I can’t get bored of them.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:19 pmPockyG

Guns + Lolis = Sold. I love this pic btw.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:20 pmsealouse

Isn’t anyone going to mention the way Yumekui Merry ended? I would be wary of any J.C Staff shows after that.

• April 15, 2011 at 11:04 pmKumakaori

I, for one, will be boycotting J.C for a season, …. and if they’re doing one of the shows I’m already watching, crap.

The animation looks great, but I’m not sold on the premise :/. <-This, and the fact I'm trying not to watch 10 series again this season after watching about 10 last season @_@….. guhhhh need to find series to drop T__T.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:32 amSerapita

I’m going to keep my hope up about not-original-JC-sucky-ending… even though I know there’s 90% chance of them doing their sucky ending…

• April 16, 2011 at 7:21 amTiberium Wolf

If JC Staff pull another ending like Yumekui Merry I’ll stop watching their shows. I’ll only watch after last ep is aired and ppl confirm that they didn’t screw up.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:21 pmClick

Usually I can tolerate and often love this kind of stuff, but this episode gave me a migraine. It feels like I’ve seen this kind of stuff a million times ._. Each of the characters so far are total cliches and… I just don’t feel that there is anything special in this series. I read a few chapters of the manga and the first two chapters of light novel and I still disliked it :P I mean, the setting is a bit interesting, but I didn’t really get why a bunch of robots had to go outside the gate and retreat, then come back three minutes later >_>. Plus the characters seem really, really, static, though you can’t really know that for sure until you finish the series.

tl;dr SEGWAY GUN-BOTS RETREATING IS POINTLESS.

• April 15, 2011 at 10:57 pmBLAKWNGZ89

Man Rie should have the Chibi Crown she’s everywhere.

• April 15, 2011 at 11:18 pmKaiser

I spent two year waiting for this to be animated ever since I first read the light novel two years ago.
    I pray for this to be done right, especially with my favorite loli + tsundere + Rie Kugimiya combo inside.
    Oh, loli with big bust in Gothic Lolita style and Childhood friends/Mikos wearing black are fine too.

• April 15, 2011 at 11:56 pmMisaoFan

Do you covered it ? Because it’s a 12-episode series.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:03 amdh19440113

1911 is single action, how can it be fired without the hammer cocked back before first shot.

Uzi barrel and receiver is robust, I know because I have one. When a bullet pass throught the barrel it would act like squibb load, it will not blow up. If the uzi fired, the bullet would stack behind it one after another. It still won’t blow up.

Beretta M9/fs 92 uses 9mm parabellum 1911 use 45 (acp) browning auto pistol not interchangable.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:07 ambobbymarwan

It’s just like angel beats,,

• April 16, 2011 at 12:10 amdh19440113

Aria exercise very bad muzzle control, very bad example of how to own and use a firearm. blued 1911 is lighter than stainless and if you double weld a stainless and blued steel you will have different recoil action throwing off your shot. Basically you can’t hit nothing. Both stainless or steel, a pair of pistol must be balanced with same weight.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:14 amPw3age

Am I the only one who found the opening somewhat disappointing? I’m a fan of May’n, but I can’t help but feel this kind of techno music not suited to her strengths at all. You can’t hear her lovely vocals, like in Macross Frontier.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:36 ammegalith

Bracing for JC Staff fail….

Here’s hoping they break the streak.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:50 amrainstrife

Would this be the second time Majima, Junji and Kugimiya, Rie are the two main protagonist of an anime series?

• April 16, 2011 at 1:02 amRazgriz

Anyone thinks that J.C. Staff is running out of ideas? I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again: “They can’t make something that is not Toradora/Zero no Tsukaima/Shakugan no Shana-based.” However, I’ve been proven wrong like in Infinite Stratos one too many times so I’ll give this a shot. After all, I did say that I’ll be anticipating this one.

• April 16, 2011 at 1:07 amahelo

So who’s the hotter jailbait, Denpa Onna or Rie voiced Tsundere # 45267? I have nothing against Rie but I’m still waiting for the fifth Tsundere Warrior. Will Aria be able to achieve this? Will her presence outshine Denpa Onna or not? Will this series be popular enough for another Rie warrior?

Will Aria join the ranks of Taiga, Shana, Louise and Nagi? I’m doubting it a bit but who knows?

It seems though that no one cares about the story. I mean talk about unoriginality. Well there is butei thing but I’m not liking this at all.

• April 16, 2011 at 1:43 amamado

il be glad if they make a decent ending of this one.
    the plot doesnt really interest me but im sticking to this one, just to see if J.C. staff gets it right.

• April 16, 2011 at 1:54 amprejsu

Weren’t you taking a break Divine? Or are you a workaholic and you just could not stand it:)

• April 16, 2011 at 2:05 amamado

old habits die hard…

well actually the reason is that he’ll just cover the 1st eps of the other animes. and maybe some OVAs.

• April 16, 2011 at 2:20 amSoiyeruda

He’s just helping out the other writers with First Impressions on first episodes, since 40 for 3 writers would’ve been too much. =x

• April 16, 2011 at 3:12 amewok40k

Girls – and guys – with guns 4 me! And yes I feel old for remembering watching DNA^2

• April 16, 2011 at 8:03 amfrubam

Lol, you’re not the only one =03. He was THE first ‘mega playboy’ I can remember, with lines so cheesy, you could have a heart attack. Glad to see I’m not the only one who instantly thought of DNA^2 when I watched this =03.

• April 16, 2011 at 9:11 amewok40k

great minds do think alike… and I love the whole reversal of the usual useless male lead into heroic one when the hormones do kick in :P

• April 16, 2011 at 3:43 amecho

the OP song is kinda nice but I’m afraid the sequences kinda ruin it.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:34 pmOmega

The only thing in the OP sequences that i don’t get it, is the cathedral in the beginning. The rest are fine.

• April 16, 2011 at 4:50 amMike

I read the manga and I have to say I hate the main character of this show, he is one of those spineless coward who act like the guy in kampfer that when ppl push him around, instead of beat or kick their ass his attitude is you can do whatever u want I am too lazy to bother. I hate that type of character the most if someone is forcing me to do something and I don’t want too, you can sure bet we be trading blows before u think I do what they want. Those that refuse to stand up for themselves are just plain pathetic especially when is a guy that let ppl walk all over him, he might look cool and all when he transfer but his normal personality need to grow some balls.

• April 16, 2011 at 7:41 amDusk

Are you calling him a spineless coward just because he wouldn’t stand up to Aria and refuse to be her slave? There’s a reason why he agreed, which you should know, if you really did read the manga.

If I’m mistaken, then I’m sorry, but I’m following the novels and the manga, and I don’t recall any occasion where he seems like a coward and refuses to fight when an opponent presented himself. Maybe if you can clarify a bit on which incident you’re referring to, then I might be able to understand where you’re coming from.

• April 16, 2011 at 2:31 pmMike

K this is a spoiler from the manga

• April 16, 2011 at 3:01 pmClick

Woah, hold on now bud. You should probably try to throw that shit in a spoiler tag >_>

• April 16, 2011 at 3:50 pmDusk

OK, I see what you mean…

So, keep watching if you’re willing to bear with it. It only gets better, in my opinion.

• April 16, 2011 at 5:14 amStrike

All Kinji needs is his gun to be a revolver instead of that Beretta and wear a balaclava. And then you know what next…

• April 16, 2011 at 5:33 amSleepyOtaku

Luckily Aria is a dual katana wielder… else.. She’ll be just like Shana.. lol

• April 16, 2011 at 12:08 pmOmega

Actually she’s Quadra.

• April 16, 2011 at 6:35 am7

The manga was kinda interesting. Hope they stick to the original material tho.

• April 16, 2011 at 7:29 amDusk

You actually noticed the goth frill on Riko’s uniform? I didn’t even noticed until it was mentioned by Kinji, which should be in the next episode. I must say, very observant, Divine. Are you a descendant of a certain British detective?

• April 16, 2011 at 7:51 amAndy

this show is so sick! guns and girls are awesome lol

• April 16, 2011 at 10:45 amMitsuba

• April 16, 2011 at 12:31 pmOmega

Awesome OP is awesome. Can’t wait for the OST to be release.

lol at Hysteria Mode, why can’t they call it chou ikemen mode? :p

So, there’s only 12 episodes?

Ah, DNA². How nostalgic, been 11 years since i watched it.

• April 16, 2011 at 3:29 pmTofu

I for one really liked this episode of Hidan no Aria, definitely continuing!

Tsundere characters = win!

I found it absolutely ridiculous how Kin-chan changes into a wannabe-BAMF through hormonal excitement. The fact that he walked out in the open while still talking to Aria was ridiculous as well! To top it off, he dodges bullets and shoots down the barrels….ugh. Guess that’s anime for you ey? :

Surprisingly I enjoyed the entrance Aria made by falling down with dual pistols! Now THAT was BAMF!

I’m also watching this show because Kin-chan has the same voice as Ayumu from Kore wa Zombie~!

The OP and ED were GREAT!

• April 16, 2011 at 3:36 pmMcTricky

I should make it aware that spoilers can be seen in the “Recent Comments” but on the sidebar, regardless if it’s in a spoiler tag.

• April 16, 2011 at 4:36 pmDivine

Yes they can, hence why the text is truncated. All HTML tags are stripped for the recent comments in the sidebar.

• April 16, 2011 at 4:34 pmSiege

A new character to add to the list of Kugimiya Rie tsuderes with Shana, Louise, Nagi, and Taiga.

• April 16, 2011 at 5:40 pmdh19440113

shoot down a gun barrel isn’t impossible, some very famous gun slinger is able to shoot down barrel and shoot holes in quaters. To do that you need have a custom pistol, custom 5 inch barrel, drilled compensator, tigger job of crisp 3 lbs and match bullets.

• April 16, 2011 at 6:16 pmSailor Enlil

Funniest blushing face I’ve ever seen yet (just look at her mouth)

• April 16, 2011 at 6:36 pmbiribiri

looking for some comedies for my aching heart and i found 1 actually 2 series to watch. thnx for the blog it helps me alot on picking some shows to watch. having kugimiya rie voicing the lead female that got me wanting to watch it cus i luv the character she portrays even though its about some loli type figures which i dont like, but interesting nontheless

• April 16, 2011 at 7:53 pmHiisuke

I nostalgia’d when i read the “mega playboy” rofl

• April 17, 2011 at 12:55 amanishuma

Dna2 lol, everyone knows Mega Playboy was hax.I don’t think Hysteria mode can hold a candle to it.

• April 17, 2011 at 2:48 amKip

If you look at JC Staff’s history, they were very much a hit and miss 2nd tier company until the latter half of the last decade. Kugimiya’s massively successful trifecta with them in recent years (Shana, Zero, Toradora) brought them a lot of success, income, and reputation. I can only assume that JC Staff invested those resources into production because their animation/art quality has improved perhaps more than anyone else in the last few years.

And good for them, because JC Staff has made some great shows and is in a very broad sense deserving of their success and reputation. But that shouldn’t mislead viewers to think that every thing JC Staff touches will turn to gold. I’ve only seen 1 show in recent years made by JC staff that didn’t star Kugimiya that I can say I really loved, and that was Kaichō wa Maid-sama!.

And that’s fine. JC staff is still one of my favorite companies, but that doesn’t mean I will like everything they make, the same way that I highly appreciate Christopher Nolan as a director but didn’t love every movie he made.

• April 17, 2011 at 3:02 amKip

As far as “Aria of the scarlet ammo” itself-

As said by others, it is kind of amazing how such stale and cliche concepts can still be fun when the production is good enough and the chemistry really is there. To me, the critical ingredient that keeps this show from becoming as base as its parts is the “007″ aspect to the main character. Maybe this changes later, but his hysteria mode didn’t turn him into a mack-daddy, just an amazingly suave badass with all the right moves.

I don’t have to tell you that they have been making James Bond movies continuously for nearly 5 decades now. Its a formula that literally never gets old or grows tiresome. And like Divine, I’m VERY interested to see how this element plays out with a very typical (yet still awesome) Kugimiya tsundere.

In short, the story is going to have be really awful to get me to stop watching this, because in a show like this, plot is secondary to fun. And that’s much harder to pull off than it sounds.

• April 17, 2011 at 4:52 amMichael Chandra

*Watches the dramatic scene where he walks out on the Uzis*
    O_______O
    *fanboy drool*

• April 17, 2011 at 6:30 amKinny Riddle

I LOL’ed.

Upper left – Honnino Kibou (Personal Wish) Line – Line which Aria wishes her boobs would grow into

Lower left – Zankoku Genzitu (Cruel Reality) Line – Current size of Aria’s chest

Upper right – Petanko Heiman (Plain) – Pretty much speaks for itself

Bottom right – Happiness Graph – No further explanation needed

OK, hands up if you’re annoyed by these unnecessary black censorship thingies covering her bra. :)

• April 17, 2011 at 6:40 amKinny Riddle

Hysterical Savant Syndrome, more like Hysterical Badass Syndrome. lol

Though I’ve also seen that series long ago, the comparison with DNA^2 didn’t cross my mind. Rather, I was thinking of something more recent – Nurarihyon no Mago – where the protagonist also has an alternate badass personality that allows him to pwn everything in sight.

While Kugimiya Rie and Majima Junji reuniting since Toradora was a draw for me, if it wasn’t for Kinji’s badassery, I think I would’ve given this a miss.

After Ryuji in Toradora, Majima Junji has shown he is more than capable of “taming” a Kugimiya Rie girl just as much as Hino Satoshi (Shana and Zero) or Shiraishi Ryoko (Hayate no Gotoku). :D

• April 17, 2011 at 9:22 amjingoi

Why the censorship? It doesn’t look like she had no top on so why. Is it something to make dvd sales or is it ishihara’s damned law in effect?

• April 17, 2011 at 10:51 amn0216332

a gun & sword wielding A-cup, twintail, fang tooth, tsundere loli……………and a big boobed, deredere childhood friend (whom i suspect to be the person planted the bomb on the protagonist’s bike)… along with a split personality male lead……. cliché? kinda….. watching it? obviously.

p.s. i thought divine was taking a break?

• April 17, 2011 at 4:31 pmChaos

this looks to be interesting

• April 17, 2011 at 4:50 pmthenewhorde

to be honest, this was completely unexpected. i don’t feel it’s up to par with any of the other Kugimiya Rie roles previously, surprisingly it doesn’t have me sold.

• April 18, 2011 at 7:54 amSnicket

Guys lets not get to excited just yet, just remember what J.C staff did last season.

Anyway, with that in mind. It wasn’t a bad first episode. They more or less stayed with in the first few chapter of the manga, except they cut and add a few bits. Not really a big deal, Show Spoiler ▼

However, given J.C. Staff’s last series, i’m a bit reluctant to get into this one.

• April 18, 2011 at 8:10 amMad_Dog

I HATE Kugimiya Rie. She is the WORST VA ever and she should quite VAing before someone beats the shit outta her. Seriously I can’t stand her voice, and it nearly ruins every anime she’s in.

NOW with that out of the way this anime More than makes up for the short-comings from her VAing. I love this anime. The actions scenes in this episode, “God Mode”, plot, and other characters more than make up for it and i can happily say i will be sticking with this anime for the rest of the season. :-)

• April 18, 2011 at 2:02 pmKekeke

Dude, u mad?

If you think her voice is annoying to you, there a lot of seiyuu that are more annoying. The only difference is that Rie Kugimiya delivers her roles effectively, and it shows on her previous voice roles on big-time anime shows. That’s why she’s one of the notable seiyuus that are on top of the industry.

You are annoyed at her voice because she delivered her role so great that instead of hating the character she voiced in, you instead hating the person behind that voice. That’s what I like about her, pure effectiveness of her every role she got. And you got sucked in.

• April 18, 2011 at 10:51 amtezasroper

sigh. Why can’t we fans just enjoy the show instead of harping about “such n such characters are cliche and the premise is generic”. I mean who cares? really? this is why pretty soon anime going to be lost in the US because every single show out there has to be new and exciting for us american fans to like it, but different and original doesn’t equal better. Example school days that was suppose to be an “original” take on the harem genre and most people hate it myself included. sorry for ranting a little there

• April 18, 2011 at 12:58 pmKekeke

I’m liking what I’ve seen so far.

The Junji x Rie combi is a very welcome addition to the already great anime IMO. I like both of them for their respective roles in Toradora, and it still got the same vibe in Hidan no Aria. They carry their roles really well from beginning to end. Mikako Takahashi did well too as the voice of Shirayuki, as she used almost the same voice set she did on voicing Ayumu of Hayate no Gotoku. Mariya Ise did well on voicing Lucia on To Aru Majutsu no INDEX II, and more so on voicing Sena Akagi on OreImo, but I didn’t expect for her to have such a cute voice for her role as Riko Mine. It’s pretty much like Eri Kitamura in terms of versatility of her voice.

As I already read the manga, the main characters are very likable, and it shows on the first episode. Aria is so damn cute, and so is Shirayuki and Riko.

In terms of story progression and faithfulness to the source, I say JC Staff is being faithful to it. Everything seen of the first episode is from the manga. But there are some scenes from the manga not seen in this ep, notably on the 3rd chapter when Show Spoiler ▼

, but that’s just it. Although it would be great to have it animated, so I hope to see in in the next episode.

• April 20, 2011 at 8:26 amAlgester

things to expect everyone’s reaction here if Kinji’s bro shows up… and Shirayuki’s uhh… yandereness? yeah… pretty much that god damn it kinji what have you gotten yourself into

• April 21, 2011 at 5:17 amPerlaNemesis

So far much better than expected. I’m in love with Kinji’s “Hysteria mode”. Watching him leave Aria and go to fight alone made my day. :D Hopefully this won’t disappoint.

• April 24, 2011 at 9:10 amAkAtsUbAkI

Hey Devine are you going to keep bloging about this anime??

• April 24, 2011 at 9:48 amGiostz

No he will not be blogging it. If the anime isn’t on the current series list on the right, RC won’t be blogging it.

• April 25, 2011 at 3:20 amAkAtsUbAkI

oh thats disappointing lol i was like waiting for the review to pop up on the home page :P

• April 30, 2011 at 7:29 pmmeanie

It promotes violence and that is the hidden propaganda under the cutesy characters and settings. Kind of lame actually.

• May 1, 2011 at 1:56 pmdh19440113

In episode 3:
    The helicopter scene, the weapon used was ishmash dragonov svd chambered for 7.62×54 Rimmed. The scope used was a IOR PSO-1 scope 24mm.
    The problem of the scene is the fact that when you shoot from a helo, you lag your shot by first firing to estimate the minute of lag from crosshair, then you compensate the lag and aim for the target.
    Secondly, the target is on a bridge and there is no way the helo is within 100 meter of the target. Since PSO scope is not aligned with the barrel she would have to use the teardrop on the bottom left to compensate for the cosine relationship between scope and barrel.

For example, if the distance was 200 meters, then you aim for the bomb at the 2 teardrop position. If the bus is faster you lead by a few mm and if the helo is faster you lag the scope by a few mm.

• May 7, 2011 at 1:28 amCarVac

It’s called willing suspension of disbelief. Later on in the novels, Reki displays more impressive feats of shooting, such as Show Spoiler ▼

• May 7, 2011 at 12:46 amdh19440113

In episode 4:
    THe final fight scene is a misinterpretation of close quarter pistol fighting. When assailant is close you pistol whip, pull pistol close to your chest fire point blank, step back assume firing position chest, chest, head. Only an idiot would use a pistol as blunt weapon cause 1911 slide can be pulled by the attacker rendering the weapon disabled.

Don’t take my word for it, look at what DEVGRU six did in abbottabad to geronimo.