Deadman Wonderland – 03 »« Deadman Wonderland – 01

Deadman Wonderland – 02

OP Sequence

Deadman Wonderland   OP   01 Deadman Wonderland   OP   02 Deadman Wonderland   OP   03
Deadman Wonderland   OP   04 Deadman Wonderland   OP   05 Deadman Wonderland   OP   06
Deadman Wonderland   OP   07 Deadman Wonderland   OP   08 Deadman Wonderland   OP   09

OP: 「One Reason」 by DWB feat. fade
Watch the OP!: Download, Streaming ▼

Deadman Wonderland   02   01 Deadman Wonderland   02   02 Deadman Wonderland   02   03
Deadman Wonderland   02   04 Deadman Wonderland   02   05 Deadman Wonderland   02   06
Deadman Wonderland   02   07 Deadman Wonderland   02   08 Deadman Wonderland   02   09
Deadman Wonderland   02   10 Deadman Wonderland   02   11 Deadman Wonderland   02   12
Deadman Wonderland   02   13 Deadman Wonderland   02   14 Deadman Wonderland   02   15
Deadman Wonderland   02   16 Deadman Wonderland   02   17 Deadman Wonderland   02   18
Deadman Wonderland   02   19 Deadman Wonderland   02   20 Deadman Wonderland   02   21
Deadman Wonderland   02   22 Deadman Wonderland   02   23 Deadman Wonderland   02   24
Deadman Wonderland   02   25 Deadman Wonderland   02   26 Deadman Wonderland   02   27
Deadman Wonderland   02   28 Deadman Wonderland   02   29 Deadman Wonderland   02   30
Deadman Wonderland   02   31 Deadman Wonderland   02   32 Deadman Wonderland   02   33
Deadman Wonderland   02   34 Deadman Wonderland   02   35 Deadman Wonderland   02   36
Deadman Wonderland   02   37 Deadman Wonderland   02   38 Deadman Wonderland   02   39

「解毒剤(キャンディ)」 (Gedokuzai (Kyandi))
“Antidote (Candy)”

There’s a psychotic opening sequence included this week, showing a lot of red and featuring some of the other deadmen, plus a little fan-service for both guys and girls. It fits pretty well with the dark themes in the series and the demented amusement park (even if there’s no reason for a costume to smile like that). Forcing inmates to participate in morbid forms of entertainment isn’t a new idea, but throwing a fourteen-year-old in there is pretty brutal too. In addition, Ganta is too naive and has little clue about the system. He finally read the rulebook thoroughly after people keep reminding him, and finds out that he needs to eat an antidote every three days or the poison in his collar will kill him, and that cast points are needed to buy everything all the way from the survival candy to luxury goods and freedom.

So far there’s no one Ganta can really trust, including his new friend Takami Yoh, though he doesn’t know that either. To pile on the misfortune, he runs into Kouzuji Kazumasa as well, the sadistic psycho with a big ego who seems to set his own rules around the prison. But even he can’t win a showdown against the warden, who is an interesting factor in this story. She is harsh, but has her own plans and schemes different from those of Tamaki who just seems to want to toy with Ganta.

Ganta enters the “Dog Race” in an attempt to win the points he needs to buy the antidote, but it’s literally no walk in the park as prisoners get sliced in half, smashed into the ground, shot, electrocuted, or incinerated for trying to leave the “show”. Of course the audience just thinks its special effects like some sort of live-action horror flick, but in my opinion they just don’t want to believe it’s real and give excuses (“those guys are just felons anyway”). The irony is that Ganta was originally going to Deadman Wonderland for his school trip, but is now forced to battle there instead after his class was massacred.

Shiro joins the game as well and saves Ganta’s many times during the game, by bumping him when he falls, taking the wrong rope, etc. Ganta himself has no clue until the end when the revelation hits him hard and he gives up the chance to win to save Shiro. However, somehow I doubt she would have died even if she fell as she has cat-like abilities and is relatively less affected by injuries. Shiro also happens to be the epitome of optimism: very happy go lucky and seems to have fun no matter what happens. She’s so bubbly it’s becomes a little bit creepy sometimes given the situation they are in. Shiro is interesting, but I am also looking forward to seeing some of the other deadmen, as there’s no lack of colorful characters in Deadman Wonderland. The stuff that happens can be rather disturbing though, and like last time there’s censoring of a lot the gore and some scenes were cut out; even then however there’s definitely still no shortage of blood and naturally there will be much more of that to come. Animation is pretty good, but unfortunately the art was occasionally subpar. Regardless it’s a story-driven show, and hopefully extra budget will be put into the fights.

Deadman Wonderland   02   Preview 01 Deadman Wonderland   02   Preview 02 Deadman Wonderland   02   Preview 03
April 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm
  • April 23, 2011 at 4:12 pmRasone0104

I havent watched this ep yet but did they introduce Show Spoiler ▼

cuz from the screen shots it seems they didnt introduce her.

• April 23, 2011 at 4:14 pmProoof

didn’t seem to be introduced in this ep
      either a later episode or the anime won’t cover that much material

• April 23, 2011 at 4:51 pmRasone0104

If she is not introduced then can we expect an original anime ending?

• April 23, 2011 at 6:03 pmProoof

don’t know

• April 23, 2011 at 6:28 pmSouth

That girl appears waaay later in the manga.

• April 23, 2011 at 6:45 pmRasone0104

Sorry but she first appears at this storyline in the manga although she doesnt have such a major role-which we learn would be expanded later on.

• April 24, 2011 at 1:23 amjamchan1800

u mean azuma…mmm… your right…she wasn’t introduce….meeeooorrrr!!…i hope they will not make a crappy original anime ending..it will break my heart:(

• April 23, 2011 at 4:20 pmSheapy

Bah first divergence from the manga. That girl doesn’t show up when Kazumasa is in the locker room and Ganta doesn’t punch that bastard

• April 24, 2011 at 12:43 amShadowpanther

I know, I really wanted to hear Ganta say “And you can just go eat $h!t, that’s my rule!”

• April 23, 2011 at 4:32 pmRyan

interesting but how come that girl can roam free through the prison with nobody questioning?

she doesn’t have a uniform, or the prison collar, and yet can still register for the race?

so confusing

• April 23, 2011 at 4:41 pmDiabolikul

some1 major spoiled me but dont worry it will become clear later,dont google or wiki cuz it will ruin the anime

• April 25, 2011 at 10:47 amEldaron

I know it’s annoying, but you should just ignore small things like that, the manga does it too (so there is no real explanation).

• April 25, 2011 at 4:18 pmchaos

I didn’t read the manga, but I am sure there is a good reason why she is the way she is.

My speculation is that she is either a high ranked player or somebody important that they let do as she wishes like the boss’ daughter. It is her mysterious nature and her amazing happy personality in this hellhole of a prison that capture our attention. Due to her unhuman abilities, I am guessing there is more to this prison that what we are introduce to like an experimental lab for testing superhuman.

• April 23, 2011 at 5:15 pmMrBrownSound

I’m beginning to think that people don’t see that weird girl half the time. Is she a figment of his imagination? No can’t be, right.

• April 23, 2011 at 5:39 pmLordHuggington

I think people just leave her be because she comes off so strange. In the first episode, those three guys had no problem seeing her, and the Tae Kwon Do guy looked about ready to knock her block off. Having her seem semi-invisible would add to the air of being a bit of a guardian angel to Ganta, though, which is nice.

• April 23, 2011 at 9:04 pmhurin

Guess you didn’t read the manga :-)

Hint: In the first episode, notice the symbol on Ganta’s cell phone when he’s sitting at his desk at school.

• April 24, 2011 at 1:48 pmBossun

I think people just accept her as this crazy lady and simply ignore her

• April 25, 2011 at 4:24 pmchaos

Nah, she is real.

For example, those 3 guys in the beginning saw her, talk to her, and even hit her in the head with a shovel. Last time I checked, imaginary friend can’t be hurt by shovel. In the infirmary, both Ganta and Tamaki saw her and question why she is so freely move around. Third, the ultimate fighter guy was throwing a punch as her for steeping on his foot. Finally, imaginary friend can’t catch or throw physical ball around.

So in short, she is REAL…just strange and unusual!

• April 23, 2011 at 6:06 pmewok40k

ss #21 codename Hawkeye :P
    ss #11 im da pimp!
    ss #16 … but here da pimp stops!

• April 23, 2011 at 6:29 pmaloneinwonderland

School field trip to watch a gore fest :s That crowd mentality is sickening.

• April 25, 2011 at 4:28 pmchaos

Not really…

People do that stuff a lot in the past. Do you remember the days of the Colosseum and Gladiators? Modern day example would be Jerry Springer and Fear Factor, minus the gore and deaths.

• April 23, 2011 at 7:33 pmamatsu

i was hoping that it would follow the manga

• April 23, 2011 at 8:08 pmanna

…That was one of the best opening sequences I have ever seen, personally. I can’t remember the last time an anime OP got me excited to see a new show.

• April 23, 2011 at 8:53 pmanishuma

Minatsuki is so hot <3.

Next Episode now please!

• April 23, 2011 at 9:25 pmanna

Okay I just finished watching both episodes. I teared up a couple times, but I’m hooked. I want to read the manga now.

• April 23, 2011 at 9:56 pmNhelraios

Takeshi’s Castle + inmates + deadly traps = Deadman Wonderland

Just who would organize a school field trip in this place? ._.

Looking forward to the next episode.

• April 25, 2011 at 3:24 amJaden

Agreed. Guess they ran out of aquariums and museums in 2023.

• April 23, 2011 at 10:35 pmSOSAnimeBoy

Is it just me or is anyone else really ticked off that there are two characters with very similar names (Tamaki and Takami)? The dialogue had me running in circles a couple of time with the names. -___-

• April 25, 2011 at 4:38 pmchaos

Not really…

It is Japanese for ya. Tamaki and Takami for them is like Jerry and Terry for us. You are just not used to the name structure so it seem exactly the same to you. Also, the human brain actually don’t read word as a whole. It looks at the beginning letter, ending letter, and number of letters then it run it across the vocabulary that you learn in your head. If it can’t accurately understand the word, it needs more letter beginning with the second beginning letter and second to last letter. The process continue until the word is known. Yes, your brain takes shortcut to become smarter. Read this sentence below:

You can undretsand excatly waht I am syaing wtihout dseipte all teh mipssenlling. Cool huh? lol

• April 23, 2011 at 11:49 pmkazukifafner

Actually, I’m really upset that Azami wasn’t introduced in this episode. Not only was she the person who explained the cast point system to Ganta in the manga, but she was also the person being picked on in the subsequent locker room scene. It’s those two initial scenarios with her that 1) started the relationship that would make her such a focus for Ganta later on and 2)gave Ganta a reason to believe that not everyone in Deadman Wonderland was bad.

I’m pretty worried for this adaptation now.

• April 24, 2011 at 12:46 amShadowpanther

I have a lot of doubts that this is going to turn out as well as the manga, but I can assure everyone one thing: IF YOU ARE A GIRL(who has read the manga) AND HAVEN’T FANGIRL SQUEALED WHEN SENJI APPEARED IN THE OPENING, I AM DISSAPOINTED WITH YOU!

• April 24, 2011 at 4:31 amanishuma

The Crow is not a bishounen and given the content of the story, I doubt there’s going to be any fangirling in THIS anime/manga series, besides your self of course ;p.

Besides, Senji ain’t the only one with the abs, Ganta earns his later XD

• April 24, 2011 at 6:26 amNikki

Nah, I fangirl over Minatsuki and Yoh.

• April 24, 2011 at 12:53 amAlec

lol A pro fighter getting knocked down with a ball by a WEAK kid…That is so convenient!!

Not as good as the 1st ep, but an OK episode nontheless.

• April 25, 2011 at 4:43 pmchaos

Yup, a WEAK kid…with superpower that can destroy a falling building to pieces. Well, if you throw any “balls” in a guy’s face, he will freaked out, too.

• April 24, 2011 at 1:29 amjamchan1800

there is no azuma here…meeeooorrr!!!pls don’t disappointment me…Manglobe

• April 24, 2011 at 1:37 amZwei

sadly, they’re putting more effort on The World God Only Knows rather than this adaptation,
    in terms of budget that is >.<

• April 24, 2011 at 2:50 amJulie

Just browsed through 40 chapters of the manga
    It seems like the story’s going to end on the manga’s end as well – anyone knows if the anime might coincide with that?
    Thanks

• April 24, 2011 at 3:08 amkoager

It was nice that they didn’t rewrite the dialogue but instead just beeped out the profanity. DVD version with no censoring~~~

• April 24, 2011 at 3:48 amTriangle MAN

I hate when they stop in the middle of the action to talk about their feelings why didnt a sniper just shoot at them?

• April 25, 2011 at 4:45 pmchaos

Because feelings are more important…duh

• April 24, 2011 at 7:14 amThejewbomb

I love how Metal this show is. I’m really into the ominous, heavily down tuned guitar tones throughout the show.

• April 24, 2011 at 9:16 amAshen

Okay, I’m definitely gonna hafta make time to see this. I really got into the manga and it sounds like its material is being handled well, plus the OP was positively stellar Show Spoiler ▼

• April 24, 2011 at 1:42 pmBossun

What word did the Taekwondo master say that would get censored? From what I’m reading elsewhere, it may be Manko, but I didn’t know they censored profanity in Japan. I thought their version of profane words was a lot different from the English version of profane words.

• April 24, 2011 at 3:12 pmnn4

Wait, If Shiro had all those scratches on her body, does that mean that what I ~think~ she’s wearing is actually her skin?!

• April 24, 2011 at 5:18 pmProoof

maybe she was bleeding and it leaked through her clothes

• April 26, 2011 at 9:15 amanishuma

Shiro is naked.

She likes going freestyle.

• April 25, 2011 at 3:02 ameharper256

I took it that if she had been grazed, you wouldn’t probably notice it anyway; Shiro’s got a white suit and is an albino with probably very white skin. Therefore, tears in the fabric would go un-noticed unless you were paying attention, which, in this circumstance, you would not. Until the blood becomes obvious.

Anyway, Good lord, this on of the few times I actually downloaded just the OP of a show. And watched it nearly 10 times. Must be a sickness.

Hmm, I’m glad its as good as I expected from my preview post. With luck, Ganta getting over his angst immediately is a good sign.

• April 25, 2011 at 4:54 pmchaos

Yup, she run around naked. Kinda turn you on, didn’t it?!

That or she wear a supersuit that doesn’t tear, which is questionable, but then again why is she all white? Why is she so happy all the times? And why is a 14-years old locked in prison for a crime he didn’t do? NONE OF THIS SHIT MAKE SENSE! But it is fun to watch though…lol

• April 24, 2011 at 4:14 pmHenDarou

This is starting to be a favorite of mine. Normally I’m not too fond of wimpy main characters, but it works here. Shiro is interesting and fun to watch, both because of her design and the fact that she’s voiced by my favorite female seiyuu!

• April 25, 2011 at 4:59 pmchaos

Yup, I second that.

See her alone is worth watching. I don’t ever recall a similar character to her in any other anime. So happy and innocent in a hellhole of an existence.

• April 25, 2011 at 2:32 amCharles (^_^)

good 2nd episode i dont read mangas so if anything gets left out i wont notice so it wont ruin the experience for me i always do this so when an anime adaptation comes out i dont have anything to compare its quality to :D

• April 25, 2011 at 3:20 amJaden

Okay, definitely on board.

The idea of watching convicts getting hurt and nobody giving a damn is so convincing it’s almost scary.

• April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pmchaos

Not really…

I do that every time I go to the circus… and the zoo. You just can’t accept the fact that people are born from animal and are equally as evil and sadistic.

• April 25, 2011 at 4:01 amSummelBaerli

I really do not mind the censoring, I’m actually quite happy they don’t show too much gore.
    and I really, really love Shiro *w*

• April 25, 2011 at 10:52 amrochichan

This show is insane.
    Makes me feel like “woahh…” every time I watch it.
    I’m also loving the bg music they play. XD

• April 25, 2011 at 11:33 ambabawaba

It takes a special type of sick society for it to allow a prison like that and an even sickier society for it to actually be succesful with the average ppl, including school kids.

Oh right, its Japan so it fits, nvm guyz!

• April 25, 2011 at 5:04 pmchaos

Go Japan!

BANZAI!

• April 25, 2011 at 4:01 pmvaun

this looks like a cool anime

• April 25, 2011 at 4:15 pmillusion

God damn, the opening song was awesome! 10/10 to manglobe

• April 25, 2011 at 10:48 pmNaYa

• April 26, 2011 at 12:27 pmZero

• May 20, 2011 at 6:57 amAshen

I’m so happy DW was made into an anime! I’m really hoping for the best!

btw Show Spoiler ▼