Steins;Gate – 05 »« Steins;Gate – 03

Steins Gate   04   13 Steins Gate   04   14 Steins Gate   04   15
Steins Gate   04   16 Steins Gate   04   17 Steins Gate   04   18
Steins Gate   04   19 Steins Gate   04   20 Steins Gate   04   21
Steins Gate   04   22 Steins Gate   04   23 Steins Gate   04   24
Steins Gate   04   25 Steins Gate   04   26 Steins Gate   04   27
Steins Gate   04   28 Steins Gate   04   29 Steins Gate   04   30

「空理彷徨のランデヴー」 (Kūri Hōkō no Randevū)
“Rendezvous of Abstract Fluctuation”

The misguided hunt continues, switching focus to finding the IBN 5100 on a smaller scale, but fighting against SERN on a larger scale. For what purpose? To save the world. Even though he’s a mad scientist.

The nice thing about the show is that there’s no concrete plotline laid out, so there’s no predictability as to how the story will even pan out. That would already be cool by itself, but throw in the inevitable time travel twists in the future, and you’ve got one hell of a good thing going here. While I don’t find myself completely enraptured to pining for next week, it’s definitely gradually getting interesting. The hunt for the IBN 5100 made use of all the supporting characters introduced from episode two, and actually revealed a tiny bit about each of them. To sum up, Bike-chan wants to be a soldier (wut), Nyannyan was more famous than I thought, Trap-tan has an awesome accepting dad, but Christina has daddy issues.

Quite possibly the best scenes are when Makise and Okarin harass each other. I just can’t help but smirk as Makise slowly gets tangled with Okarin’s problems. Their relationship is fun as each character makes up valid remarks/insults on another, resulting in a rare equality between a male and female that is far too underused. Okarin’s comments in general usually get a laugh out of me, and the running joke of Ruka being a trap will never get old. I also like that there’s a “Mayuri Habit,” a sort of ritualistic trait to add to a character that’s not used fairly often. In essence, the characters are turning out good.

I think by now, White Fox has shown some form of success in this adaptation, at least in the eyes of a first timer for Steins;Gate. There’s enough development in each episode to feel plot movement (this one especially), flesh out the cast, and even hint at larger issues for the future. The problems I have is the lack of any consistent excitement, and the slightly slow pace. I’m actually expecting the show to suddenly turn into an action/adventure thriller soon, and if that doesn’t happen at least halfway, I’ll be sorely disappointed. Now that the IBN 5100 is in hand, it may just be the gateway to the beginning of the end.

inb4 “makise so kawaii”

April 27, 2011 at 12:17 am
  • April 27, 2011 at 12:21 amRayshi

MUST FIND OUTDATED COMPUTERRRRR….

Also first

• April 27, 2011 at 12:26 amKiiragi

• April 27, 2011 at 12:32 amjrj

ok, now that they have the IBM IBN to understand the code, hopefully things will get more crazy from this point on… I am quite curious about the jellyman’s report :)
    the only character that is still in the shadow is the cellphone girl… and I wonder what happened to Chrisu’s dad… (maybe time travel himself and get caught up in the experiment?)
    and yes, Ruka is a trap :3

• April 27, 2011 at 12:39 amKiiragi

I’d assume that of Makise’s dad as well, but it’d be too typical, so I’m hesitant.

• April 27, 2011 at 3:56 amAiras

About that Trap

• April 27, 2011 at 12:34 amTrystinia

Loved when Okarin didn’t recognize Makise’s voice at first when she called. And seriously every time he calls her Christina in a different tone still makes me laugh.

Overall i’m glad they didn’t waste any time finding the IBN 5100 this episode.

• April 27, 2011 at 12:50 amClick

Wow, that little comment about Daku and the universe made me crap my pants. Anyways, I’m pretty surprised that Kurisu is only 18. She’s an even greater freakin’ genius than I thought ;o

• April 27, 2011 at 1:10 amZaku Fan

Duutuuruu!

So did Okarin send the computer back to himself? Is the part time job girl actually some sort of resistance fighter against SERN in the future timeline?

• April 27, 2011 at 8:42 amHagiri

Or it could be the other John Titor of 10 years ago that only Okarin can remember.

• April 27, 2011 at 8:59 amnoname

or Okarin is the John Titor ten years from now, i wish it’s something like that, i love time travel twists

• April 27, 2011 at 1:31 amamado

“christina” is like a tsundere but not quite there yet.
    I still stand for mayuri though.
    the pink haired girl was pretty cute.

• April 27, 2011 at 1:37 amewok40k

well, well, I am really curious now regarding the mysterious old pre-BASIC code…

• April 27, 2011 at 3:49 amSerapita

They’re going to take their sweet time introducing / developing characters in this show so I don’t expect to have any hectic actions in the next 2-3 episodes. (which is actually fine by me, I enjoy random banter between Okarin and other characters)

Btw, Ruka is super cute… too bad he’s a freaking trap =/

• April 27, 2011 at 4:10 am4iras

This is one of Top 4 Series this season :).

Okarin > all

• April 27, 2011 at 5:44 am1Lau

True That

• April 27, 2011 at 7:31 pmkira-kun

Most definitely.

Plus another shout out for: It’s a trap!!! Ruka should be illegal.

And Christina is smokin on that bed. Pink ^-^.

• April 27, 2011 at 5:12 amKuroshine

Is it ironic that the day this episode came out SERN had an info leak about some “unexpected data spikes” in their Higgs Boson experiments lol.

• April 27, 2011 at 7:52 amAisu

Hoping they take a Christina route.
    I’ll be really sad if they don’t.

• April 27, 2011 at 8:19 am4iras

Someone said they’re doing the Show Spoiler ▼

route!

• April 27, 2011 at 11:27 amTraptastic

Ruka for best trap of 2011! <3

• April 27, 2011 at 12:44 pmPWAAMEAP

makise so kawaii

• April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pmKratos

For those interested in some goodies you can get the famous IBM for only 8000$ on ebay!!

• April 28, 2011 at 5:29 pmJohn Titor

Thanks.

• April 27, 2011 at 2:44 pmBROOKLYN otaku

G-BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• April 27, 2011 at 3:24 pmHrmmm

Hrmmm

This show just ain’t doing it for me. I don’t know how the game worked (was it a comedy?), but I’d rather see it be more a lot more serious.

It doesn’t help that I keep feeling Okarin is too flamboyant with his voice.

• April 27, 2011 at 5:44 pmFenicks

a little bit of comedy for the first half, then more serious in the later parts.

• April 28, 2011 at 1:17 amBooya

I agree… I just can’t help but see Okarin as the very flamboyant Takuto and it sorta ruins the whole serious atmosphere for me most of the times

I wish he could somehow “man” up his voice acting for this role

• April 27, 2011 at 6:11 pmkkd

if first half of the story is ” <—-that serious
    then the 2nd half of the story is """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" <—- that serious

• April 27, 2011 at 7:51 pmFlameStrike

The Jibaku plan was actually kind of clever. Too bad it was totally countered. XD

• April 28, 2011 at 9:45 pmdeafvader

The computer came to their hands quite easily… I hope that John Titor is not the behind the scene master mind and is really oakrin, that is too cliche

• April 29, 2011 at 10:40 amanishuma

Everytime he says Christina I always expect a red car to go crusin by lol.

G-back was hilarious.I love my Mayuri and her Human form Pokemon cards.I’m starting to think Feyris is that Part timer.

• April 29, 2011 at 6:10 pmChrisT

Having played the Windows game when it came out, I’m so far impressed they’ve followed the plot perfectly.

That said, give it 2-3 more episodes until the pace really picks up, if they continue following the game. This series has lots of action and surprising twists, which shouldn’t be surprising considering it’s about time-travel. Unfortunately nowadays people are conditioned to expect an anime to be eventful from the beginning, sans steady character or setting development, so I can understand the frustrations of some.

• April 30, 2011 at 2:34 pmYttrium

Tch, the “indecipherable code” was just hex. Ah, well at least they bothered to use a real programming language…

• May 5, 2011 at 12:46 pmShirikatsu

I love how short and sweet this anime is, although at times it could seem like a sudden slowdown but this series wastes no major time. Normally you would find yourself watching 3 fillers before they would find the supposed IBN 5100 whereas here they just find it with no real effort and out-ruling the ease at which they discovered it as planned by John Titor. It really puts John Titor’s position in great mystery and I think it’s getting pretty interesting knowing that he was apparently a time traveler from CERN, whose confidentiality he is willing to disregard, has offered to help Okarin in some way but also adding more mystery to that fact that this could be a different John Titor that he had known about all together.
    Loving the show.