Bleach 450 – This Must Be What Heaven Tastes Like »« Bleach 448 – Moving the Pawn

Bleach 449 – A Sadistic Side

Bleach Manga   449   01

I guess Kubo doesn’t want to let us know what’s up with Urahara and Isshin just yet, since all we got in that aspect was more mystery. For now the focus is on Ichigo though, and he is getting destroyed by Ginjou. I knew that Ginjou was strong, but the one-sidedness of the battle was still surprising. I don’t know whether it’s just that he has had far more experience with full-bring, or that Ichigo has been relying on his now non-existent spiritual power too much previously. Luckily, it seems like going all out against each other is fine since they are inside a game, but then I don’t quite understand why Inoue was brought in if Yukio could just add more health points if needed. Unless the system works Matrix-style (i.e. “your mind makes it real”), it’s his world and he should be able the manipulate things like that easily without relying on a third party healer.

Regardless, this is a good opportunity for Inoue to shine, and she indeed shows off her new power Shiten Koushun, using four of her fairies as a combination shield and attack. It suits her support personality too, but actually gives an additional way to counterattack aside from the unimpressive Koten Zanshun that falters due to her weak will. However, Inoue is becoming more assertive too, sticking up against Ginjou when he attacks Ichigo while she’s still healing him. Chad starts training in another section of the game as well, though he had also been stabbed surreptitiously by Tsukishima. I don’t know how they’ll deal with it, but if past experience has said anything, it’s that Ichigo’s friends won’t be particularly relevant in the grand scheme of things, aside from being used as means to an end by the bad guys and providing the catalyst for Ichigo to regain his will to fight.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm
  • May 25, 2011 at 10:50 pmhaseo0408

I was really surprised to see Orihime gain a new power after all this time!. She is one of my favorite characters so I always expected for her to power up soonner or later, but this is really cool. When it comes to Ichigo she always shows a different side of her cheerful paersonality.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:47 pmRicalloo

One of your favorite? I can’t STAND Orihime… “Kurosaki-kun, Kurosaki-kun… KUROSAKI-KUN!” It gets damn annoying really fast.

However, the fact that she actually did some damage for once is awesome. I am willing to start liking her if she fixes her damn wimpy personality and starts doing something kewl for once.

Sado, on the other hand, is even worse now then he was before. They made his motives hidden in all of this, so I don’t trust him… yet.

• May 26, 2011 at 12:56 amZlostur

Umm…how is Sado worse?

He’s also shown to have been training like Inoue, so he must have also gotten stronger, though since he was less useless than her in the first place, his power improvement would probably not be so drastic.

• May 26, 2011 at 1:14 amRicalloo

I didn’t mean strength, I meant personality. I never really cared for him, but this arc makes me not trust him at all.

• May 26, 2011 at 4:35 amAzure

She is starting to fix it and displayed it this chapter. Apparently the trip to Hueco Mundo has given her a backbone.

If you actually think back on all the instances she dealt with Ulquiorra it kinda shows that she’s starting to change. (Her faith in her friends, the slap, blocking his sword to protect Ichigo, etc.)

Do I have to point out that she didn’t cry or scream when she was being beaten nearly to death by Menoly and Loly?

Also, useless? Okay, how about we remove Inoue from all the instances where she had to restore someone. Hmm, I guess Ichigo wouldn’t even be here and several other people. Just because she’s not kicking ass doesn’t mean she’s useless.

• May 26, 2011 at 8:29 amKarmafan

Inoue is one of my favorites as well. Her, Matsumoto, Kenpachi and the mad scientist captain who is very funny are my favorites in Bleach.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:00 pmamado

I knew it!
    inoue would improve and show how much she got stronger.
    I hope she gets to show more.

as for the stab, he might be trying to control ichigo’s friends.
    maybe the reason ishida was cut up was because he resisted it or it doesnt work on a quincy.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:08 pmCorn

I don’t care about Inoue or Chad but WHO IS THAT SHINIGAMI!? XD

Kubo you sadist!

• May 25, 2011 at 11:17 pmBlackWingz89

More Mystery. One thing that bothers me about bleach is the power balance between the characters.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:36 pmAnna

I think that the Shinigami IS KARIN. Damn sure about it!

The personality of Orihime has changed. Now she is much better and bothers me a lot less!

NEXT CHAPTER!!!.

• May 26, 2011 at 12:44 amyanipheonu

GODDAMMIT WHO WAS THE SHINIGAMI ARRRGGGHHHH

Plus it’s nice to see Inoue actually have a new ability. Part of me wants her to have a new offensive move as well, but even that’s probably expecting too much >_>

Kudos to Kubo for actually trying to make the side characters actually relevant, though we’ll see how well that pans out…

• May 26, 2011 at 12:54 amZlostur

Geez…Orihime does something cool for once after 300+ chapters of being useless, and people start praising her guts? Come on…I know she is hot, but she has to do A LOT MORE in order to earn my respect…

The only reason she managed to one-shot Ginjou anyway, was because even he himself was surprised just like all of us that she could do something useful for once…

• May 26, 2011 at 3:38 amRicalloo

I wouldn’t call her useless. Sure, she isn’t an offensive superpower, but being able to “reject” damage done to people is a damn nice ability.

My, and I imagine many other people’s, problem with her is her personality. It is soooooo aggravating an annoying. Her incessant crying and shrieking gets bothersome. I like the fact that she finally grew a bit of a backbone and developed a slight resolve.

It is very possible Aizen 2.0 may be responsible, though. What with his “I sliced you but I didn’t really slice you” ability that is still an enigma. So this sudden Orihime change could just be a facade.

• May 28, 2011 at 2:14 amOwaranai

In case you haven’t noticed, Bleach is no longer chapter 1-99, but at FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE. Characters have changed, personalities have changed, reactions have changed.

I think the problem here is that most people who dislike her haven’t moved on and harp on one or two phrases she uses to label her as annoying. In other words, this is stereotyping. Perhaps the Hueco Mundo arc has casted her as a damsel in distress to be rescued, but as mentioned, she didn’t act like one.

That said, the most interesting aspects of the chapter for me was the mystery of Tsukishima’s Fullbring abilities as well as the Shinigami. There is indeed a high possibility that Ichigo’s friends (ALL 3 of them were stabbed) could simply be catalysts to advance the story or aid Ichigo in the route to regaining his power, though I definitely wouldn’t mind if Kubo throws in another totally unexpected twist here.

I absolutely love the way Kubo portrayed the Shinigami here, teasing the readers to guess and speculate. Is it Rukia, a new one or some familiar but unexpected face?

• May 26, 2011 at 1:10 amCorn

Agree with you @Zlostur. I guess when weak charters do something the impact appears much stronger to the audience than strong characters doing something.

• May 26, 2011 at 2:59 amamado

bah! leave us alone in our praise for inoue.
    we know it isnt enough to balance her being “annoying” in the early parts but its a start and at least shows she’s not what most people brand her to be.

• May 26, 2011 at 3:34 amRandom123

Oh wow so much background this chapter to look at! Look at all those black and gray textures! Look at those close up eye shots and those feet!!
    OMFG HE APPEARED BEHIND CHAD AND STABBED HIM WITHOUT ANYONE NOTICING~!
    OMG ANOTHER HYPERBOLIC TIME CHAMBER!
    OMG BLEACH’S EPIC BATTLE ROUTINE

Side person: “NO YOU’RE TOO WEAK TO GO AGAINST HIM”
    Person A: “AHAHA YOU THINK YOU CAN BEAT ME?!? WITH WHATEVER YOU HAVE?”
    Person B: “Of course I can”
    Person A: “LOLLL LIKE HELL YOU CAN”
    Person B gets owned by Person A

Only thing that’s missing from this epic battle is that Person A has not said: “I DIDN’T EVEN USE A QUARTER OF MY POWER AHAHAH” and pull something out of his/her ass. Then probably Person B would do the same thing and say they haven’t used their full powers yet and pull something out of their ass.

*Sarcasm rant over*

Sorry but I don’t get it…why does Ichigo need his shinigami powers back again? Why do the others need to fight? It’s as if they know another villain is going to pop out and Ichigo will have to be the hero of the day again. [why he need his shinigami powers might be explained several chapters ago when this arc started...but it's been too long that I don't remember them anymore.]

Why does Ichigo have to do everything himself? And has to keep pushing himself. It doesn’t even seem like a heroic trait anymore…it just seems like he’s an annoying brat that’s too stubborn to give up.

So….Can someone please explain to me why Bleach is good again [or why I should like Bleach] so I can stop nitpicking at all these faults?

• May 26, 2011 at 3:47 amRicalloo

Shōnen manga is shōnen.

In all seriousness, I personally don’t read/watch Bleach entirely for a coherent plot. It’s about the fights and the lead up to them. Why do people go see remake #2, 3 or 4 of a movie they already know the ending to? Why are these remakes even made? It’s because it’s what we like and what we are used to. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and now even Fairy Tail all fit this category. It’s why they are all in the hundreds in chapter number and episode count.

But, I can understand your frustration with the clichés and rehashed plot devices. How many anime series involve a high school setting? How often in said series does the main character sit in the back row next to the window? I generally never even give these a shot outside comedy genre unless I read something very good about them.

• May 26, 2011 at 4:13 amZaku Fan

Inoue was an okay character in the early chapters until the part she stupidly thought doing whatever Ulquiorra said would be a good idea. At the very least her new attitude due to Ichigo’s “death” is refreshing.

• May 26, 2011 at 4:28 amAzure

Is that character development I smell?

This means less ‘Kursoaki-kun’ and more “Stfu when I say no” attitude haha

• May 26, 2011 at 4:39 amrasone0104

Yey Chad and Inoue got stroger….
    But IMO they ll still get owned by the enemy sometime soon….
    special Chad cuz he acts like a fodder most the time…

• May 26, 2011 at 7:57 amPeaches

Yay go Inoue!

• May 26, 2011 at 8:17 amjingoi

Orihime+Character development? Maybe but watch out, it might go the same as Sakura’s “character development”. She might start saying Ichigo/kurosaki-kun even more like another annoying schoolgirl is always just standing around saying the name of a certain hanyou whenever he gets hurt.

• May 26, 2011 at 9:54 amNorwegium

Let’s just hope this new power of Orihime’s spares us from the rappid “Kurosaki kun, kurosaki kun, kurosaki kun”‘ing. Sure i don’t mind Orihime, but when it comes to the anime, these scenes sure do tick me off a little.

• May 26, 2011 at 10:06 amfoshizzel

About damn time Orhihime! That’s all I have to say on her!

Still wanting to see who that damn shinigami is! Well this is getting interesting at least come on next chapter!

• May 26, 2011 at 10:52 amBogel

are those body parts aizen’s??

• May 26, 2011 at 11:20 amRico

good chapter I must say and I was very impressed with inoue for onceXD
    stood up for herself and that attack was useful compared to the others
    On another note ..I understand kubo is trying to build mystery with that shinigami( which he did), but still building up tension for the chapter and stillllll not showing…HUGE PISSOFF >.<, that's just me do :p..

• May 26, 2011 at 11:24 amMM

Im glad that Inoues powers got stronger as well as her determination to project her friends. I still hope that more powers come from her and she becomes a more likable character. I was disappointed that she didnt do anything to harmful but im hoping she gets to fight or something in next chapter or at least show more of her powers

• May 26, 2011 at 11:25 amSpencer

I like how Orihime’s powers evolved and how she actually did something aside from being the “Dits” and yelling “KUROSAKI KUN”. But somethings been nagging me ever since the Ulquiorra fight. What were Ulquiorra and Grimmjow talking about when they said that “something was different about Orihime”. They said that the change wasn’t on the outside, and Orihime’s time in Hueco Mundo, pre- Ichigo invasion, is largely unaccounted for. Plus the fact that her power could theoretically create an immortal. Then there is the fact that Aizen, to an extent, conducted experiments on souls, which leads me to believe that he may have something implanted in Orihime that is just waiting for its chance.

• May 26, 2011 at 1:22 pmValerie

I’m glad to see Orihime actually being a use of help.
    I am so curious to who that Shinigami is. This is killing me. What I hate about Bleach is that the story progresses kinda slow. Well in chapters, anyways.

• May 26, 2011 at 1:58 pmKentaiyoshimi

The mystery shinimgami is just hyped-up. Kubo’s pulled this exact cliffhanger several times before, so I wouldnt expect too much out of it. At the very least, it won’t be a new character. (For example end of chap. 410)

That being said, I think it might be Rukia. Remember waay back in chapter 1 where Rukia transfered her shinigami powers to Ichigo?, I think something similar will occur here.

• May 27, 2011 at 12:49 amLoveya

LMAO I love how most of the comments are about people are surprised Orihime is actually useful for once.

• May 27, 2011 at 1:49 amcybersteel

Just hope that this won’t be a one-time deal and she’ll be useless again in a REAL fight.

• May 27, 2011 at 8:42 amBass.EXE

I think she’ll end up being useless again soon enough. Ichigo is going to get stronger and will face stronger enemies and I don’t think Orihime will be a legitimate contender. Kind of like in Dragon Ball how Krillin slowly became more and more useless even though he was basically the strongest human being, well except for Hercule

• May 27, 2011 at 8:56 amcybersteel

That was just sad. I guess theres no such thing as a superhuman. I think… Anyways prob Inoue and Ishida would still be useless but I have a nagging feeling that Chad might show some surprises a few chapters later.

• May 27, 2011 at 9:13 amhyjinx

I think because his sword can cut through anything maybe he cut right into their “Hearts” and it will turn out that he’s the good guy and it will make it so Chad and Inoue believe him

• May 27, 2011 at 11:11 amMikkye

I think the shinigami is Tatsuki, just throwing it out there

• May 29, 2011 at 12:17 amarky

as in any mmo healers are soo underestimated, its all about dps huh guys?

• October 29, 2011 at 6:39 pmbolos caseiros

Hi there, I discovered your site by way of Google whilst searching for a similar topic, your website got here up, it seems to be good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.