Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – 09 »« Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – 07

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – 08

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   01 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   02 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   03
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   04 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   05 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   06
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   07 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   08 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   09
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   10 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   11 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   12
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   13 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   14 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   15
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   16 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   17 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   18
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   19 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   20 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   21
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   22 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   23 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   24
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   25 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   26 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko   08   27

「ツィオルコフスキーの祈り」 (Tsiorukofusukī no Inori)
“Tsiolkovsky’s Prayer”

I suppose it’s clever that this four episode arc was really about Meme, who apparently spent 28 years before coming up with an idea to stop grandma from thinking about the gods taking away her life, an idea which was only triggered by Yamam- Ashiro anyway. For once, I’m not annoyed at her, and seeing her goof about with an actual plan made her seem more like a charming happy “get old but don’t grow up” kind of person. For the first time, I saw her as an adult. Plus, Yamamo- Ashiro being someone her own age that she can flirt was a nice change. What’s up with the cattle mutilation “joke” though? All I keep thinking of is castration for some reason…

One of the more important developments brought about that extend beyond the scope of this arc is Elliot, Erio’s “father”. He offered some advice that sounded similar to religious beliefs, and I’ve read around that he could actually be an alien. No, not that gaijin foreigner alien term, an actual alien from outer space yo. The fact that he “disappeared” and that he wasn’t even married to Meme is suspicious enough. Despite not being married to Elliot, Meme still feels like a widow that’s already satisfied with her “late” husband’s love, and there’s really no way to write that without innuendo.

I like how the grandma’s hair suddenly sparkled near the end as if her seishun points were rejuvenated, which also led to the following reaction of, “oh my god they’re actually related…” The sparkles actually mean something, and probably originated from Elliot, considering his hair did the same thing. I’m not really surprised at this. Anyway, I guess the relation of the two was a “big reveal”, even including some mentions of Shouji, Meme’s brother, who is probably Niwa’s father. The only missing link to the Touwa family tree seems to be Meme and Shouji’s parents. Out of context, Meme turning 40 was like some kind of reverse mid-life crisis, since she spent it trying to make her grandma feel younger rather than herself, but in a way still managed to represent that she’s grown older but wiser and finally with acceptance. Therefore, “I’ve turned 40″ was a cool way to end the episode.

While shattering my speculation of Yama- Ashiro being the father, I rather enjoyed this episode. I saw Meme in a new light, and appreciated the unveiling of some history behind the characters, finally giving some depth. I would say the meaning behind this arc wasn’t exactly worth four episodes to build up, especially considering how “pointless” the last episode was. I’m still expecting Erio’s amnesia to crop up as an arc, but if they are following the light novels, that’s most likely something left for the end, which won’t make it this season. It’s times like these when I actually get annoyed of faithful adaptations.

June 5, 2011 at 3:33 am
  • June 5, 2011 at 4:44 amPactio form

Litlle meme is soo cutee
    if Grandma is meme granddaughter then she must be Erio and Niwa Great-Grandomother
    wow her age must be over 80

• June 5, 2011 at 5:05 amj

“I’m still expecting Meme’s amnesia to crop up as an arc,”

Erio ?

• June 5, 2011 at 5:43 amamado

the sparkly hair runs in the family. maybe theres some alien blood in them?
    and yeah, this ep made meme less annoying than she usually is for me as well.
    kinda surprised theres no pic of the grandma’s sparkly hair.

• June 6, 2011 at 1:11 amcybersteel

Half alien/human hybrid?

• June 5, 2011 at 9:27 aminfinite

I really dont know what there trying to do with the story as a whole but with that said I take each episode as it comes. Not every episode has been good but I think the good out ways the bad in this show. This was one of the better episodes IMO.

• June 5, 2011 at 11:19 aminfinite

I meant outweighs not out ways. :|

• June 5, 2011 at 9:47 amWilfriback

This episode was very good at tying up the the previous 2 episodes.

• June 5, 2011 at 9:53 amKarmafan

I have said all along that I thought there really are aliens involved in this show and it turns out I might be right.

My people are from a french background and in french Meme means Grandmother. Meme so does not look 40. I would have thought she was 20-25 if not for her teen aged daughter. For a while I thought Erio might not really be her daughter as Meme looked too young to have a teen ager but if she is 40 then it works.

• June 9, 2011 at 2:36 amTofu

That’s anime for you I guess ;D Making 40 year olds look like 25 year olds

• June 5, 2011 at 2:39 pmStereoman

I wonder why Erio’s lineart was colored in this episode… I don’t recall her having any other color on her lineart than black…

• June 5, 2011 at 3:05 pmLectro Volpi

The only thing keeping this “alien” business on is Elliot. Outside that, pretty much was explained and it goes straight to “there are no such things as aliens here”.

Hahaha! for a moment I thought Meme looked pretty scary and that she was going to “Cattle mutilation” grandma. puff*

• June 5, 2011 at 3:12 pmNorwegium

One whole episode dedicated to Meme? Yeah, i can live with that. But now i want more. This woman needs her own anime.

• June 5, 2011 at 5:42 pmGoofi

• June 5, 2011 at 8:10 pmomeganx

THEy sure try to make MEme and her daughter the most moe and cute things alive in the universe.

• June 5, 2011 at 9:14 pmMimi the X

Meme and Erio are strongest Moe Duo i hope those two can enter Saimoe and can kick-ass those K-ON

• June 5, 2011 at 9:53 pmKarmafan

Everyone compares K-On to A Channel.

• June 9, 2011 at 2:34 amTofu

WOAH! Hey hey hey… what’s wrong with K-On?

• June 5, 2011 at 10:14 pmSeishun Otoko

This is by far the best episode. It gives everything that has happened so far a new dimension and makes Meme shines as a character. I really hope we get to see more of Meme’s back story.
    Any idea what happened to Elliott?
    She dresses like an OL, but since she owns the candy shop, she doesn’t really need to work, does she?

• June 5, 2011 at 10:55 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

i love meme. <<3

• June 5, 2011 at 11:36 pmewok40k

Meme is my Meme-tic MILF! actually she well suits my own age slot, being well over 30. And I am bored of lolis everywhere…

• June 6, 2011 at 1:56 amhOmeRunDaisuki

she doesn’t suit my age. but i really like older women. LOL. it’s cuter when a guy is younger than the girl. XDD and yeah, i hate lolis myself (especially loli-tsunderes..aaarggh!!). XDD but there are quite some exceptions. XD

• June 6, 2011 at 2:14 amewok40k

Well, its not that I hate lolis and/or tsunderes, but lately anime seems to be too focused on that types of character, too much. It is like diet based on sweet and sour sauce. In, like, IS had full tsundere female crew save Charles…
        One reason I so love Hanasaku Iroha is that it has few schoolgirls but plenty of characters from other age sections (young adults, and even elderly people).

• June 12, 2011 at 1:08 amhOmeRunDaisuki

i agree with you. DX I hate it when people are more interested with lolis. I don’t really see what’s so fascinating about them compared to young adults, milfs(lol) etc. I’ll never get into pedophilia, really. DX

• June 6, 2011 at 2:24 amGhostalker

wow! I like how everything tied up in this episode. So Meme missing in the last couple of episodes actually have valid reasons ;)

• June 6, 2011 at 6:00 amPuffyPrincess

SO… MANY… SPARKLES!

MY EYES!!

• June 6, 2011 at 6:56 amFrenzy

I was expecting them at the end to go “Well that was a brilliant Firework… shall we scatter before the authorities arrive?” cause I swear I heard sirens right at the end.

• June 7, 2011 at 3:32 amTofu

“Anyway, I guess the relation of the two was a “big reveal”, even including some mentions of Shouji, Meme’s brother, who is probably Niwa’s father.”

Kiiragi, they have mentioned in the past that Shouji is Niwa’s father when the Grandma met Makoto, she said to him “oh you’re Shouji’s son” meaning it’s not ‘probably’ his father ‘it is’ his father ;D

I must agree on your point regarding Meme being more adult and adopting the “grow old, stay young” way which does open up light towards how she reacts in the previous episodes which I’ve mentioned in my own Denpa Onna post over at Sekijitsu for those who are interested.

• June 9, 2011 at 3:18 amKiiragi

Oh, you’re covering it too? Time to probe your secrets.

• June 10, 2011 at 12:32 amTofu

OHOHOHOHO! I’ll be doing the same as well Kiiragi~

• June 10, 2011 at 12:37 amKiiragi

Selemat Pagi!

• June 10, 2011 at 3:37 pmTofu

Selamat Malam!

• June 10, 2011 at 2:25 amTowa hunter

Are you indonesian kiiragi? Selamat pagi are indonesia language of good morning

• June 10, 2011 at 2:26 amKiiragi