Ao no Exorcist – 14 »« Ao no Exorcist – 12

Ao no Exorcist   13   25 Ao no Exorcist   13   26 Ao no Exorcist   13   27
Ao no Exorcist   13   28 Ao no Exorcist   13   29 Ao no Exorcist   13   30
Ao no Exorcist   13   31 Ao no Exorcist   13   32 Ao no Exorcist   13   33
Ao no Exorcist   13   34 Ao no Exorcist   13   35 Ao no Exorcist   13   36

「証明」 (Shoumei)
“Proof”

And so begins the second cour of Ao no Exorcist, with a new OP (straight-up J-rock by ROOKiEZ is PUNK’D, with a few spoilerific frames) and ED (fairly boring techno with a visual focus on Rin, Yukio and the students). It seems fitting that the second half of the series should begin with an episode that strongly recalls the intense emotions of the premiere.

Sometimes in anime, you have a character who, despite their physical absence through death or distance, hovers over the proceedings at all times. Reiko in Natsume Yuujinchou and Kou in HanaIro fit the bill, and it definitely applies to Fujimoto Shiro. Though he’s been dead since the second episode, Shiro continues to reach out and impact the story, as the people he impacted move into Rin’s circle. This time it’s Shura, the busty investigator from the Vatican HQ of the Order of the True Cross. Sure, she’s here to investigate Rin on their orders – but she’s also yet another being whose life was altered forever by her time with Shiro. It was he, apparently, who rescued her from a life in some sort of (literally) Hell. He even asked her to train Rin in the use of the sword – an entreaty she refused at the time, thinking the old man had gone soft. In the head, anyway.

Shura seems quite content to operate under the assumption that Shiro’s plan to “groom” Rin to be a weapon against Satan was folly, and to finish him off. But like Blackie the cat sidhe, her memories of Shiro stay her hand (paw). What a guy for finding and calming tortured, lost souls Shiro was. When Shura sees that Shiro was raising Rin not from a sense of duty, but love, she reconsiders her views on the boy – even deciding to transfer to the Japanese branch and train him in swordsmanship (with a shinai, keeping his demon blade safely out of Amaimon’s way until Rin proves worthy of it) before she reports back to the Vatican.

The strongest scene of the episode was Rin’s flashback to tearing apart his classroom as a small boy, driven to violence by his fury at his classmates for ostracizing him as a monster. Every scene between Shiro and Rin has been great, flashback or otherwise, but when Shiro kept hugging his son even after his ribs were broken… What a guy, that’s all I can say. Being voiced by Fujiwara Keiji is never a bad thing, but Shiro is a fantastic combination of GAR and compassion the likes of which we rarely see – frankly, I would have loved to have read an entire manga with him as the main character, and that’s not a knock on Rin. Every impulse Rin has to be a good person and resist the dark side of his nature seems to spring from his love for his father.

This is not to say, of course, that all is well. Shura managed to provoke Rin (by mocking Shiro naturally) into showing his flames even with the demon sword sheathed, proving that Satan’s powers in him are not truly contained by the blade. That’s a little unsettling. With Shura on board teaching her former classmates it seems she’s pretty well laid her intentions bare (and I do mean bare), but the same can’t be said for Mephisto. His “I abandoned Gehenna to secure peace for Assiah” speech sounded pretty hollow to me. What he and his brother are really after is very much an open question in my book – the Vatican branch is right not to trust him one bit (not that I trust them, either).

And then there’s that last member of the current cast still shrouded in secrecy, Bunny-kun. Now that Hoodie is revealed (and I do mean revealed) he remains the last true mystery among the current cast – he’s there in the OP and obviously isn’t going anywhere, but there have been no clues offered as to his true identity or purpose whatsoever that I’m able to spot. I’ve seen theories, but given that some of them could be manga spoilers in disguise I won’t discuss them here.

And of course, we had another “Baywatch moment” with Shiemi. Is that going to be a weekly occurrence?

ED2 Sequence

Ao no Exorcist   ED2   01 Ao no Exorcist   ED2   02 Ao no Exorcist   ED2   03

ED2: 「Wired Life」 by 黒木メイサ (Kuroki Meisa)
Watch the 2nd ED!: Streaming ▼

Ao no Exorcist   13   Preview 01 Ao no Exorcist   13   Preview 02 Ao no Exorcist   13   Preview 03
July 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm
  • July 10, 2011 at 10:24 pmjay

At this rate I wonder if the story might be reasonably viewed as having the goal of showing what kind of person Shiro was, through the effect he had on others during his life.

• July 10, 2011 at 10:41 pmkgfj

So agree. I would love to read even a 10 volumes manga with shiro as the main character. Bring-the-character-back-to-life is one plot twist I really hate in anime or manga, but for shiro I kinda want that to happen.
    Btw looovee your funny comments like (I do mean bare) etc :D

• July 10, 2011 at 10:43 pmCatanthill

Does anyone know how fast the anime is progressing relative to the manga?

• July 10, 2011 at 11:07 pmZilla

There are currently 26 published chapters, and this episode covered chapter 10. (Well, the part on the roof is from 11, but that’s not important; works better here anyways.) So it’s a little less than halfway caught up. Without spoiling anything, I’ll say that there is one completed arc that they’ll start next episode and then another one that’s still running in the manga. I doubt they’ll be able to drag this one out for the rest of the show or that they actually know the ending to the current arc (unless the author pulled an FMA and told them), so we’re probably looking an original ending. Make of that what you will.

• July 10, 2011 at 11:11 pmcklaighe

i hope they somehow manage to extend this arc well.

i don’t like them making up stories which aren’t in the original story. Fillers are ok.. But changing how the story will progress.. I hope not.

• July 11, 2011 at 1:03 amznail

Well, the second arc is a bit slow at the start and there is a fair bit of character development during that phase. So it’s possible that they will do part of that arc but end it before it gets really started so to speak.

• July 11, 2011 at 9:46 amZilla

@znail:

• July 11, 2011 at 10:29 amznail

Ah, no, but I think it will soon and the anime might skip a lot of the actual plot of that arc for later and focus on the characters instead.

• July 10, 2011 at 11:10 pmcklaighe

at first. i thought it was slow because of the filler inserts.. But the last two episodes.. It’s become fast paced with the next episode about the camping already. I was pretty sure that that arc would become the season ender. =/

• July 10, 2011 at 11:10 pmGuardian Enzo

DVD/BD are very strong with this show – even the TV ratings are good. They may take a two-season break, maybe longer, but I suspect after some sort of anime-original “placeholder” ending they’ll pick up again in 2012 (maybe even 2013) sometime when the manga gets farther ahead.

• July 12, 2011 at 3:58 pmRintarou

Gundam AGE takes the Nichigo slot in the fall and it will run for a year. SO, the earliest we will see a new Exorcist season is next fall.

• July 10, 2011 at 11:14 pmAndré

I usually hate flashbacks, but Shiro is a great character. I hope to see him again during the Inferno saga, when Rin goes to the freakin’ hell to fight Satan. Shiro will be there for sure. And no, this not spoiler, I’m just imagining how the last season of this anime is going to be, hahaha.

• July 11, 2011 at 3:24 amShirt

You gotta admit, the “He’s a laugh.” part was pretty damn clever. I couldn’t help but find it amusing and laughed just as much as Shura.

• July 10, 2011 at 11:30 pmreyan16

ok I skimmed over the manga a long time ago, and i don’t ever remember seeing that blonde hair guy always holding a stuffed animal that shows up at the end of the opening. Was he always a part of the story??

• July 11, 2011 at 1:04 amznail

Yes, but he is still a mystery guy in the manga too.

• July 10, 2011 at 11:35 pmewok40k

Shura is strong with the fanservice… lol @ her wrestling Rin down!

• July 11, 2011 at 12:17 pmKarmafan

She has a japanese thug accent as if she was a member of the yakuza or something. She must have been a tough street person or some other horrible backstory before she joined the order.

• July 11, 2011 at 12:39 amEwowo

Ah finally~ A sexy character in this anime

• July 11, 2011 at 5:51 amKarmafan

Shiemi is still hella hot (now that she is in school girl clothes).

• July 11, 2011 at 9:20 amGuardian Enzo

I gotta agree, I think Shiemi is very pretty in her uni. But I liked her in the kimono, too.

• July 11, 2011 at 2:17 amHrmmm

I knew this was coming but I still have an issue with the unnecessary fanservice.

It wouldn’t hurt to put on a shirt, really. You’re detracting my enjoyment of the episode by being an eyesore. X_X

• July 11, 2011 at 2:43 amznail

I got some bad news for you. The only time she will show up in more then that is when she overslept and shows up in her sleeping gown. But she will wear different types of tops, which is good as I don’t like this ill fitting one.

• July 11, 2011 at 2:58 amShirt

Shiemi’s still hot! >:O

Shiro’s such an amazing character. Makes me wish I had a real dad all over again. If I ever become a dad [for some godawful reason] I’ll be sure to raise a ninja the way he did.

ps. I’m loving that Kung Fu Usagi on Mephisto’s desk.

• July 11, 2011 at 3:04 amShirt

With the start of the new season, Mawaru Penguin Drum’s “Dear Future” and NO. 6′s “Spell”, makes me a happy person. Now “Wired” is out [as a tv sized single] and it makes for a great loop song. I wish the Soundtracks and Singles would come out sooner. The music is fuel!

• July 11, 2011 at 3:14 amTorrigan

Mkay who again is the bunny guy??? blondy with the sword??

• July 11, 2011 at 4:02 amrandomania

Guardian Enzo being naughty with snapshot 34. :3

• July 11, 2011 at 9:22 amGuardian Enzo

Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad… I’m hot for teacher

• July 11, 2011 at 10:20 pmewok40k

why does her sense of style remember me of Kaori Kanzaki from Indexverse?

• July 12, 2011 at 8:01 pmSilentcid

Because Biri Biri doesn’t have big boobs!

• July 11, 2011 at 4:16 amRayyy

finally shura makes her appearance! as in the manga the fight was good. can’t wait for the next episode where it gets more interesting!

New opening is good ending could have been better preferred Take off to this new end!

• July 11, 2011 at 6:02 amHakarum

Oh boy…Accelerator got his ass kicked by Misaka Mikoto!

• July 11, 2011 at 6:30 amSereni

I’m all for sexy characters but some of those shots of Shura look so unflattering. She’d look alot nicer if her top actually fit imo.

• July 11, 2011 at 7:21 amrochichan

The flashback with Shiro and Rin was so sad. ;___; Lol for his broken ribs.

• July 11, 2011 at 8:02 amEldaron

Meh, another shounen show where the protagonist is a self-proclaimed idiot. Don’t get me wrong, I like Ao no exorcist a lot, but if i hear that line again…

• July 11, 2011 at 8:15 amJeff-kun

Heya, just wondering.. The thing that Rin uses to hold his hair up (the one in the last picture), what’s it called?

• July 11, 2011 at 9:26 amGuardian Enzo

That’s Bon’s hair clip, offered as a bromance/peace offering in ep. 5.

• July 11, 2011 at 9:46 amFox

This has to be my favourite anime under Naruto. Rin is such a great character and I love seeing how much he has developed and then all of a sudden the big leagues step in in episode 12 & 13 and all of a sudden he’s a kid again. And the best part about it is that Rin doesn’t feel beaten or depressed by it, in fact he is motivated by it. Bon (?)even says that he seems to have changed.

Probs my favourite part of the anime is the flashback with Shiro and Rin, and his broken ribs. So he can be surrounded by hot nurses ROFL.

• July 11, 2011 at 9:48 amengage

Boy, I LOVED that flashback! Shiro is one of those still all too rare badass male characters with a compassionate side. And one of those also far too few great loveable father (figure) characters. He kinda reminds me of Uncle Iroh from the Avatar: The Last Airbender series ^_^. I would love to see a series with Shiro as main character as well :).
    Too bad we’ll have to wait a few seasons for the manga to get ahead of the anime enough for a second season … Blue Exorcist has by now become my second favourite shonen series, after One Piece of course :D.

• July 11, 2011 at 3:02 pmAlex Dino

personally i think Shura’s boobs wasnt drawn right, but that’s just me. Love the new OP/ED probably the best one of this entire summer season.

• July 11, 2011 at 5:48 pmwasabi

boobs

• July 11, 2011 at 6:21 pmUnknownVoid

When you say “spoilerific frames” in the opening, which are you referring to? The only one I see is the giant sword guy. Unless there are some other character cameos going on behind him in that scene that I didn’t notice. Show Spoiler ▼

• July 11, 2011 at 7:36 pmGuardian Enzo

That’s basically what I was referring to…

• July 11, 2011 at 8:19 pmUnknownVoid

Ok cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

• July 11, 2011 at 8:37 pmArmman

Anyone else feel like the best character in this series was killed off in ep 2?

• July 12, 2011 at 3:55 amZoboCamel

Are the downloads for this new OP video, and others from this season, going up at some point? Or aren’t you doing that any more? It’s not a massive problem, it’s just that I’m not a fan of streaming and so I’m wondering where the download links went(it’s entirely possible I missed a post or notification somewhere). As odd as it is, I often decide whether to watch a series based on its OP and ED, and if I have the option I’d rather not waste an entire episode’s worth of bandwidth to do that.

Thanks in advance for any response :)

• July 12, 2011 at 10:11 amDivine

There was no announcement about it, but the short answer is that I’m moving away from providing download links since it’s a bit of a gray area copyright-wise.

• July 12, 2011 at 5:54 pmZoboCamel

Fair enough. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

• July 12, 2011 at 8:11 ambobon721

No screens of the post-ed scenes? Too bad. Mephisto giving Amaimon an annoyed look while pointing at his headless statue was funny. Amaimon even said it wasn’t his fault. Hehe. Makes one think that Mephisto really treasures his amusement park. These guys seem to be having too much fun in the stay in Assiah. Haha.

• July 12, 2011 at 9:36 amGuardian Enzo

I just pick caps I like – there are always a lot of good ones to go around! Not an intentional omission…

• July 12, 2011 at 9:01 amByakusei

Trust me when I tell you not even manga readers know who Bunny-kun is.

• July 13, 2011 at 3:08 amKurisu Vi Britannia

That should be in spoiler brackets =P Sometimes what you don’t know is just as much a spoiler than what you do know.

Plus, it’s obvious.

Bunny-Chan = Satan.

Only something so kawaii could be so evil.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:19 amGuardian Enzo

It’s an interesting theory. I’ve seen it suggested that the bunny is the entity and the boy is the puppet, too, but maybe that doesn’t contradict your theory. But could Satan really sneak into the Academy right under Mephisto’s nose – or would that mean Mephisto knows about it and is keeping quiet?

• July 14, 2011 at 2:30 amKurisu Vi Britannia

I think Mephisto has hidden plans which is kinda obvious. He’s testing Rin for some unknown reason and it’s definitely not to be the order’s ‘weapon’.

I think if Satan wanted to get in then he probably could but I’ve got a feeling it’s kind of a rule that those possessed by Satan are engulfed in the blue flames. (he should patent those incase apple try to use them for iFire LOL)

Either way, I think the fact we haven’t found out who he is in the manga kinda proves that theres definitely going to be another arc which fills me with enjoy anyway =D I’m just hoping that they’ll animate it all once the manga is finished.

• July 13, 2011 at 11:03 pmSOSAnimeBoy

Does anyone know why HorribleSubs is three weeks behind on AnE? The wait is killing me…

• July 14, 2011 at 1:43 amoutcast

They introduced to breast characters in one ep. Madness.

• July 14, 2011 at 3:44 amRob

Somebody should tell Shiemi about sports bras. (Izumo obviously wasn’t much help on that front. And I do mean front.)

Well…I guess it can wait a few episodes.

• July 14, 2011 at 3:48 amKurisu Vi Britannia

I lost faith in humanity as I read that.

Please don’t anyone tell her.