Ao no Exorcist – 15 »« Ao no Exorcist – 13

Ao no Exorcist   14   25 Ao no Exorcist   14   26 Ao no Exorcist   14   27
Ao no Exorcist   14   28 Ao no Exorcist   14   29 Ao no Exorcist   14   30
Ao no Exorcist   14   31 Ao no Exorcist   14   32 Ao no Exorcist   14   33
Ao no Exorcist   14   34 Ao no Exorcist   14   35 Ao no Exorcist   14   36

「愉しいキャンプ」 (Tanoshii Kyanpu)
“Fun Camp”

After an extremely emotional and intense episode, Ao no Exorcist returns to a more typically laid back style this week. That’s not to say there weren’t important developments or action – just a more relaxed pace.

It’s summer, and since we’ve already had a beach episode what could be more natural than a training camp episode? Yukio and Shura are in charge of the gang as they head off to the woods for what Rin persistently calls a picnic, but it’s really a demon-haunted forest and a test to determine whether the students will be allowed to go on missions. It’s a pretty standard setup – the task, the supplies, and the challenge to figure out what’s really being tested. With the goal being to return with one of only three lanterns in the forest, and only those returning with a lantern to receive a permission, it seems to be an “every exorcist for himself” scenario. But this is anime, so it’s really a test of their ability to work together. Or so it seems for now.

And this being Ao no Exorcist, everyone has their hidden agenda. Shura (revealed by Yukio to be 26, and not the 18 she claimed last week – though she made him pay for revealing it) is still testing Rin’s self-control. Mephisto and Amaimon are secretly observing, though Shura has detected their presence. Their ends are not clear, but they never are so that’s not new. Amaimon seems concerned with prodding Rin towards another outburst, though Mephisto appears content simply to wait for events to unfold.

Despite a warning from Shura not to use his powers or else, Rin loses control of his flames again – and again it’s Shiemi being in danger that sets him off. Perhaps he really is growing, as Rin manages to contain his fire. But not before Bon – like Rin responding to Shiemi’s screams – spots a strange blue flame. Just how much does he suspect? And what did the giant demonic moth steal from Shiemi’s bag? Meanwhile Konekomaru discovers a lantern and realizes that there’s no way any of them can win the challenge alone, and everyone except Izumo and Bunny-kun ends up as a team. What befalls the other two is unknown, but one of them sets off their surrender flare/distress signal as the main group tries to get their lantern – revealed as a demonic “Peg Lantern”, a huge stone youkaii that feeds on living beings for energy – back to camp under a plan devised by Bon. But here’s trouble there, too, as Rin inadvertently releases the seal on an even more giant demonic moth which appears to mistake him for a wool sweater.

There wasn’t anything too groundbreaking there – I’d call it more of a placeholder episode. But there were a few interesting reveals in addition to Shura’s age. We know Bunny-kun eats now, for example, and through his human mouth and not the bunny one, though whether that debunks the theory that the bunny is the master and the boy the dummy conclusively I can’t say. Shima is apparently deathly afraid of bugs. And Yukio for the first time reveals his jealousy of Rin’s new closeness with Shiemi openly, though she doesn’t really pick up on it. But I do think it’s significant that when Yukio sat next to her and started talking, instead of getting all gushy and blushy like the old Shiemi, she just kept right on talking about Rin.

Episode 13 really set a high standard, so I’m not going to be too hard on 14 for not living up to it – really, it was just fine. But every ep with Shiro makes it harder to be satisfied with an ep without him. And I missed Kuro too, believe it or not – I think he added a very nice element to his scenes with Rin. It’s not that I’m unsatisfied with these “normal” school life eps anymore. But as the series progresses and the plot deepens, the standards do get a little higher and it’s harder to get excited about one where not much of consequence – unless you count Rin’s head getting squeezed between Shiemi’s thighs – really happens…

Ao no Exorcist   14   Preview 01 Ao no Exorcist   14   Preview 02 Ao no Exorcist   14   Preview 03
July 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm
  • July 17, 2011 at 7:11 pmTwi

Actually, this is canon and pretty much the last time…

• July 17, 2011 at 8:58 pmBass.EXE

• July 19, 2011 at 10:17 amAureateFlux

This episode is mainly setup… Big moments coming, some fine examples of why this is a standout shounen series. In fact, as much as you may be underwhelmed by this episode, it’s likely that you’ll find it more than redeemed and lifted up by the coming episodes.

• July 17, 2011 at 7:12 pmhaga

i do not understand how do people like this garbage :/

• July 17, 2011 at 7:14 pmTwi

To each his own

• July 17, 2011 at 7:23 pmhaga

that would make sense if only 20% of current viewrship watched the show, but thousands of people like it
        can’t help but to question how do they enjoy this crap

• July 17, 2011 at 7:57 pmHrmmm

@haga

There is no threshold for “to each his own” to apply.

And meh, you’re trying to make sense of human emotions with your own biased logic. Have fun with that.

• July 17, 2011 at 7:26 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

Your hate makes you the garbage. Not this show :)

• July 17, 2011 at 7:27 pmhaga

oh look, fanboy

• July 17, 2011 at 10:02 pmIkkun

^oh look, troll

• July 18, 2011 at 1:07 amKurisu Vi Britannia

I’m not a fanboy.

When you like a piece of art be it a movie,anime,music etc… You can’t take the majority opinion into account, it is your choice and your choice alone on whether you like it or not. Take One Piece, loads of people love that anime but I couldn’t stand to watch a minute of it. I don’t go onto the one piece manga posts every time theres a new one to tell them how bad I think it is.

I also agree this series is pretty much a generic shounen (I mean exorcism has basically already been done with the kinda military setting quite a few times like D.Gray-Man) but because it’s generic and the norm doesn’t make it bad and unenjoyable, look at tea for example lol.

• July 17, 2011 at 8:38 pmRyuuzaki21

so far, there is nothing in AoEx that can me like this.
      hmm. maybe zoro’s seiyuu voicing that yankee-look one.

• July 17, 2011 at 8:39 pmRyuuzaki21

ooops. sorry. i posted in wrong one.

• July 17, 2011 at 9:04 pmx

Given that so many people like it, perhaps you might need to wonder why you can’t understand that.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:04 pmWW

The problem with trolls is that sadly they can’t see that their egos are too big for their own good.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:04 pmGP007

You’re in here posting about “this crap”, so why do you actually even care why, or even know how many people watch it?

I don’t get some people, we don’t need to know how bad or how much you hate a show, seems you just want attention in the end.

• July 19, 2011 at 11:01 pmThe M0on DOgg

What’s unfathomable is why are you here? You hate the show; ergo: GTFHO!

• July 17, 2011 at 7:26 pmRayyy

Things are getting interesting and will only become more interesting. Bon was just amazing being able to chant while drawing and explaining their plan.

• July 17, 2011 at 7:56 pmannamoss

“which appears to mistake him for a wool sweater.” XD I’ll never watch that scene the same ever again… rofl. And there’s another revelation as well: Not only is he smart, Bon’s a great drawer and multitasker as well!

Like Twi said, this is the last of the peaceful times…and you can see why in the previews as well. ^_^ Can’t wait for the next ep., it’s gonna be epic.
    Things are heating up, so please hold your hate until after two more episodes?

• July 17, 2011 at 8:39 pmRyuuzaki21

so far, there is nothing in AoEx that can me like this.
    hmm. maybe zoro’s seiyuu voicing that yankee-look one.

• July 17, 2011 at 9:40 pmKarmafan

Whats up with the trolls trashing this series? If you don’t like the series then piss off and go find one you do like.

• July 18, 2011 at 6:27 pmCharles (^-^)

word

• July 17, 2011 at 9:47 pmMisterDonut

I wouldn’t say it’s garbage but I have to admit I’m surprised by how well received the show is, the story is quite mediocre and seems to be impressing other’s easily.

But still like I said it’s not garbage, I can at least get some enjoyment out of it.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:22 pmRandom

This. I wouldn’t go as far to say its garbage. I will say however nothing really eventful has happened since Shiro died and it feels like I’m watching a bunch of fillers..

• July 19, 2011 at 10:37 amAureateFlux

I think the reason people like Ao no Ex is that it doesn’t have /any/ perfect characters.

Rin may be goodhearted for the most part and is able to enjoy and wonder at things easily, but he’s callous, got a bad temper, and is extremely lonely even while surrounded by people who like him.

Yukio is extremely capable, but he’s got serious issues with self-confidence and he’s extremely conflicted over issues relating to his brother. Is he any better a person than Rin, who inherited the flames of “Satin?” His uncertainty makes him very, very vulnerable. You know that if any of the good guys might suddenly turn into a bad guy in this series, it’s likely to be Yukio. Strong, but brittle.

Shiemi has CRUSHING confidence issues. I mean, seriously, she’s one of the most capable and reliable of the Exwires, but she constantly thinks she’s just getting in the way of others. That would be nothing more than an annoying trait if she weren’t so determined, though.

Bon has some very real prejudices, understandable though they may be. And like Bon, the seemingly mild Konekomaru takes upcoming events very hard. No one reacts perfectly to things in this series.

Shima is *hilariously* afraid of bugs. I mean really, it’s ridiculous.

Anyway, the other thing that this series does well is consequences. No one is going to come out of this arc looking spotless, and the repercussions resonate for the rest of the currently published chapters and are never completely resolved. Not many shounen series are willing to permanently disrupt the status quo as much as this one does.

All that said, it’s still a shounen series. You’re right that nothing truly consequential has happened since Shirou’s death. But that’s mainly because the author is working hard to build up something to tear apart.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:21 pmZilla

• July 18, 2011 at 5:19 amSissy

I really hope there aren’t any fillers since it could still be possible to end the season somewhere in the mid beginnings of the recent arc.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:48 pmTan-Tan

Ao No Exorcist is simple, but it has a rapport with the audience because of its emotion-provoking execution. And the reason why it has trolls is because many are now challenging the anime by setting up higher standards due to its unexpectedly high popularity.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:51 pmBROOKLYN otaku

MAN!!! I REEEEEEALY miss the 1st OP! wish i could somehow splice it to current eps

• July 17, 2011 at 11:34 pmGuardian Enzo

Speaking only for myself, I just enjoy AoEx because it’s very simple and very well-executed. It’s classic, straight-ahead shounen material but it does what it does very well. I find the relationships between Rin, Yukio and Shiro pretty compelling, and I think the generic cast of classmates and their adventures is done better here than it is with 90% of the shounen out there. The humor is pretty sharp, the animation is excellent and if it rarely surprises, it also rarely disappoints.

If shounen ain’t your thing, this isn’t your series. But I enjoy it for what it is. If someone wants to not like it that’s perfectly fine, but if they want to be a troll please don’t encourage them by threading 20 replies to their troll post.

• July 18, 2011 at 1:09 amKurisu Vi Britannia

XD I didn’t read the last part of your post till i’d posted my reply to the troll.

Sorry for feeding him, hopefully he’ll get fat and get heart disease?

• July 17, 2011 at 11:37 pmfrubam

• July 18, 2011 at 1:08 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Haha I think Kirigakure is hotter than Yoko IMO. She does dress about the same though, i’m waiting for the trend to catch on IRL =D

• July 18, 2011 at 1:17 amalapbun

It’s executed well indeed, oh and:

IT’S NOT A FREAKIN’ LOLI/MOE -insert random trollish-nerdraging word/s here- anime.

Just look at the summer season, complete joke.

• July 18, 2011 at 1:39 amP Ko

I wouldn’t mind having Shiemi’s thighs squishing my face, if you know what I mean ;X

• July 18, 2011 at 1:58 amdefunkt_bots

this is all pretty true to the manga. no fillers (except for the wierd ika musamune episode…?) its generally a good idea to have some basic plot foundation for a story that might go on for some time… otherwise how would you empathise with any characters.

if teh pace is too slow for you, go and check out the manga, but don’t come crying to me when you run out of chapters! 0_o

• July 18, 2011 at 2:17 amoutcast

School festival.

• July 18, 2011 at 2:45 amTan-Tan

I don’t know if this count as a spoiler because the episode aired already, but they didn’t include something when Rin was carrying Shiemi across.

• July 18, 2011 at 6:01 amn0216332

ye i was suprise/dissapointed he didnt comment on that

• July 18, 2011 at 5:04 amMM

mothra!!!!!!

• July 18, 2011 at 12:22 pmZero

• July 18, 2011 at 5:18 amSissy

I can assure you (as well as everyone who reads the manga) that it’s going to get more interesting from here on out.

• July 18, 2011 at 6:51 amsherry

I’m surprised by all the complaining, or more like only a few said something and the whole thing flared out ^^;
    I personally like it, this is one of the anime I’m always ‘in the mood’ to watch, unlike some others which I leave lying around for a few days before inquiring if there is a new ep or not.
    I think you shouldn’t think to deep and simply enjoy the show, this is anime, this is entertainment, I learned the hard way that looking excessively closely and expecting too much kill the fun every single time…which doesn’t mean we should turn a blind eye on shitty plot stories or bad animation of course :P But I don’t believe there is such problems with AoNE.

• July 18, 2011 at 6:08 pmKarmafan

Well said. Its fine to complain about massive plot holes that make no sense (like in Bleach) but some folks complain about and tear the anime down for the smallest things. Like the girl has pigtails and the original girl didn’t (Blood-C) or in the manga the hero said this and and in the anime he said that (Index). Or they changed the anime ending because the manga is ongoing with 100+ chapters but the anime series ended after 26 episodes (Claymore).

OMG its the end of the world when a very minor plot detail isn’t exactly the same way it was in the manga. I hate how picky about small details anime viewers have become.

• July 19, 2011 at 7:51 amSOSAnimeBoy

haha… I was speed reading and I saw AoNE and I was like “Holy crap, they are subbing this??”

(sigh)

• July 18, 2011 at 2:26 pmomeganx

I just find it weird how they killed off the coolest character in the first few eps…or chapters.
    I mena even in that small time he made a much bigger than impression than anyone

• July 18, 2011 at 2:34 pmGuardian Enzo

Not a manga reader (well, lots of manga but not this one) so not a spoiler, but…

In my gut I feel like Shiro is alive. He’s getting too much posthumous development for a character who just lives on in the memory.

• July 19, 2011 at 3:31 amSkribulous

This is my speculation, not a spoiler, but you may have something there. By “alive” you mean

. Possibly.

• July 19, 2011 at 4:47 amzem

The truth is… he WAS Satan all along! Bahahaha!

(it should be obvious, but this is a joke, not a spoiler)

• July 18, 2011 at 6:31 pmCharles (^-^)

great episode :D

• July 18, 2011 at 8:25 pmShirt

Y’know, Ao no Exorcist is like a better Naruto. Specifically when using Rin as a main character. Neither have his real parents, grew up isolated for various reasons, have some demonic quality about them that enables them to save the day, and are overall nice people. (Save Naruto is a slab of shit when it comes to cooking.)

And then there’s the girl! Hinata is a lot like Shiemi. smh Now only if we could have a couple hundred more episodes of this stuff..

• July 18, 2011 at 9:21 pmbreak

ahh…another great episode !!

* i get so sad when it comes to an end each week >_<" *

i found it odd that it was a team building exercise…and everyone tried to do it by themselves…i mean he told them they couldn't do it alone but they tried to do it anyway ^_^"

* kids…still have much to learn *

• July 18, 2011 at 10:15 pmrochichan

The episode was nice. (Enjoyed it, blah, the usual.)

I know this anime has barely anything to do with love, but I really wonder who Shiemi is more into… >___>

• July 20, 2011 at 6:17 amTan-Tan

Shiemi doesn’t seemed to be interested in either brothers. During the first episodes, Rin showed embarrassment being around her when Bon asked if she was her “woman.” Shiemi didn’t react at all except for Rin’s answer that she’s “no one” (or something like that) when she was hoping they’d be friends.

At the flashback with Yukio and Shiemi’s past, it seemed Shiemi had a crush on Yukio but it doesn’t seem to be the case now….

But I think both brothers like her~