Nichijou – 18 »« Nichijou – 16

Nichijou   17   31 Nichijou   17   32 Nichijou   17   33
Nichijou   17   34 Nichijou   17   35 Nichijou   17   36
Nichijou   17   37 Nichijou   17   38 Nichijou   17   39
Nichijou   17   40 Nichijou   17   41 Nichijou   17   42

「日常17」 (Nichijou 17)
“My Ordinary Life 17″

Even when he’s voicing something as simple as a crow, Ono Daisuke’s charm never fails to spill out of his character. By charm, I’m referring to this condescending feeling you get when someone tries way too hard to be polite and ends up getting on your nerves. I know that he’s capable of not coming off that way (Yakumo anyone?), but Crow was pretty up there in terms of how annoying he was. It may be my soft spot for Shiraishi Minoru or all the crap he takes from Hakase, but I just felt sad for Sakamoto. I know I’d be pretty pissed if I lost my only form of communication, especially if someone who acted like Crow took it.

After last week’s amazing closing moments, I’ve been curious how if there was anyone to top it. While I wouldn’t say that Takasaki’s freak out beat it, I know that it was pretty damn funny. It’s quite sad how he can’t keep track of what to say when his heart is involved, but it’s just too damn funny when he reacts before he thinks. I’d normally call Makoto pretty gutsy for extorting a teacher like that, but when they give you all the cards ahead of time I’m sure he could have done something much worse.

And I can’t believe Annaka still comes to Takasaki for help! You’d think that after a teacher tells you to draw in pupils on an unconscious student, it might be better to get help somewhere else! Actually, I take that back. When a school has a principal that’s stuck in the past, a vice principal with a personal vendetta against him, an extremely shy student advisor, and a science teacher who has no problems utilizing her equipment, usually in hopes of obtaining what she wants, it’d probably be safer to just walk away.

I’ve always been fairly curious about why Yukko is still Mai’s friend. As we’ve all seen, Mai isn’t the nicest person you could know. You could say she’s the kind of person who tries to pull a joke whenever possible, but because she’s so good at it, it could come off as being pretty heartless or downright mean. From a friend’s point of view, I can understand why Yukko would rather have a normal relationship with Mai rather than being her Manzai partner. What good is it if you’re constantly correcting your friend’s jokes, leaving no time for girl talk? Even though Yukko couldn’t resist calling out Mai on her jokes, I wonder if she really accepted that they share that kind of relationship. That and I wasn’t sure if that last joke from Mai was to make Yukko feel better or just because she knew Yukko would respond…

P.S. I received the best birthday cake ever. I was like no way and then I went NO WAY!

ED5: 「怪獣のバラード」 (Kaijou no Ballad) by 本多真梨子, 相沢舞, 富樫美鈴 (Honda Mariko, Aizawa Mai, Togashi Misuzu)
Watch the 5th ED!: Streaming ▼

July 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm
  • July 24, 2011 at 9:18 pmDdadain

lol

• July 24, 2011 at 9:23 pmPen3

Annaka needs more air time

• July 24, 2011 at 9:28 pmActar

Ah, Ono Daisuke’s crow. Brilliant AIR reference which was also referenced in Lucky Star.

…not to mention, Konno Hiromi who also plays the dog in Air and Akira in Lucky Star, voices Hakase.

I love Kyoto Animation and their convoluted Seiyuu parodies.

• July 24, 2011 at 10:45 pmdrcnch

As soon as I heard Ono Daisuke’s voice out of that crow I just started cracking up. I was honestly half expecting Sakamoto to start tearing the place apart when he was being “replaced” by that damn crow.

• July 24, 2011 at 11:58 pmTaiakun

Didn’t Ono’s character replace the guy who voices Sakamoto’s character in Lucky Channel as well? XD I think it was when Akira sent the guy who voices Sakamoto to go to the mountains to get a bottle of water and Ono was his replacement XD Must be an inside Kyoani gag which works amazingly well :)

• July 25, 2011 at 1:06 ammegalith

Yep. Totally reminded me of that scene.

• July 26, 2011 at 7:20 amarthryuu

Wow.

Minoru Shiraishi got one-uped by the charming actor AGAIN! :D

• July 24, 2011 at 9:31 pmFat Cat Lim

The character designs in this week’s episode appeared more faithful to the original manga art style. I wonder if it’ll be the same for next week?

• July 25, 2011 at 1:27 amoutcast

I thought the faces were a bit off from time to time.

• July 26, 2011 at 7:21 amarthryuu

Yeah, especially in the last sequence with Yuuko. Both Mai and Yuuko’s faces looks more like Lucky Stars’.

• July 24, 2011 at 9:32 pmSadifn

Thats the best cake ever

• July 24, 2011 at 9:48 pmCharles (^-^)

great episode but no opening >.<

• July 24, 2011 at 9:49 pmCharles (^-^)

also the card skit was awesome XD

• July 24, 2011 at 9:58 pmPhosphatide

There is nothing in this series that can make me happier than watching the the glorious card tower chapter of the manga finally becoming animated.

And they added Nano! A magnificent bonus!

• July 24, 2011 at 10:01 pmgawrshness

well Mai’s expression when Yukko finally burst out in the class indicated that for once even she didn’t expect that kind of reaction…I hope…Somebody troll Mai for once already. My favorite scene was when the Crow abruptly launched himself like a rocket to catch a fly xD

• July 24, 2011 at 10:14 pmithekro

Adding Nano to the House of Cards sketch was rather cute…also sleeping Nano is rather cute and Yuuko and Mio seem to agree on that.

For some reason I enjoyed the science teacher’s few lines. Not sure why. Also she has a shaver-kun it would seem.

I enjoyed the Crow parts pretty much because it was Ono Daisuke. Gave me flashbacks to Haruhi-chan. (I’m glad it wasn’t flashbacks to Minami-ke, since Hosaka wouldn’t fit a crow, but Itsuki can.)

With all the narrators they use, just how big is this cast going to get by the end?

• July 25, 2011 at 12:00 amTaiakun

Agree. Nano’s inclusion made it funnier and cuter than the manga version of this I reckon :)

• July 24, 2011 at 10:23 pmOffice Otaku

I’d pick sakamoto over any other animal any day. he’s the best character in Nichjou IMO. Unfortunately for the crow, that means i felt like breaking his neck apart. lol

• July 24, 2011 at 10:34 pminnerchihiro

Lol, Nichijou never fails to impress. I can’t believe we’re already at 17! Crazy.
    Mai’s antics are always funny to me because she’s trying so hard to be a boke but isn’t really suited to be one. However, despite this, she actually ends up a pretty great source of entertainment with the way she tells every joke with a straight face. Can’t tell if she knows this and is trolling, or if she’s really that bad at being silly.

And I too was struck by how angular the characters looked this week. Looks more true to the manga. I wonder if it will stay this way?

• July 24, 2011 at 10:47 pmBROOKLYN otaku

card pyramid was epic!!! btw- what a polite crow, put that scarf on a Filthy pigeon from around my way and I’m sure you’ll get nothing but evil banter about how they’re plotting to sh!t on my whips!

• July 24, 2011 at 10:56 pmBROOKLYN otaku

BTW- T…do you really like “meat in your mouth” lololololol just fooling! that looks like a message from a true friend, Happy B-day yo

• July 24, 2011 at 11:47 pmharo

wonder if kyoani will make the weapons girl & mio clash off to fight for that goat guy.
    martial expert VS bazookas!

hmm, seems the new skit for every episode is the cute dance that the shinonome family does

• July 24, 2011 at 11:57 pmdeafvader

shinonome skit ftw

• July 25, 2011 at 2:13 amSkizzit

Love the Shinonome dance numbers, but I do still miss the roshambo ones. I hope they do more skits with Mai’s cat as well. That was damn cute.

• July 25, 2011 at 9:09 amKen

lol.. I thought it was a dog. I never knew that Mai-chan had a cat.

• July 25, 2011 at 4:58 pmithekro

I think that is Yuuko’s cat.

• July 24, 2011 at 11:51 pmTakaii

What’s going on with it?

• July 25, 2011 at 12:42 amx

Fun episode as always. She really went shoujo manga on us for moment there.

• July 25, 2011 at 1:20 ammegalith

Today’s episode brought to you by, the K-ON duo.

Well this time around it kinda irked me that the style was very close to the manga. Looking at ep 5, it wasn’t even like this. Also I kinda noticed how short budgeted the episode is compared to all. I wonder if they were cutting Horiguchi some slack and used mostly rookies in this episode. K-ON movie IS a priority. :D

Loved the VA jokes with Shiraishi and Ono. That smooth talking crow….

Anyway what I definitely enjoyed was the tower of cards skit. I love how they approach this in an old fashioned way. Something you’d be seeing in earliest era of Disney. Great use of BGM! I never imagined they’d approach this scene in this fashion.

Also.. Welp… Takasaki’s getting closer to Bullet sensei. Now I’m even more eager for Gundere skits.

Looking forward for the next ep.

• July 26, 2011 at 7:31 amarthryuu

The tower of cards reminded me of something you’d find in Fantasia! With some smoother animation, that could possibly be a contender for a sequence in that movie!

• July 25, 2011 at 2:34 amRyuuzaki21

nichijou really can make you smile even your day was rough :)

• July 25, 2011 at 3:30 amjoeshen

I find it funny how you blur the names but not the blatant cussing… >.>

• July 25, 2011 at 5:22 amstarss

THEY ANIMATED THE CARD TOWER SCENE!!!:D :D :D

• July 25, 2011 at 5:25 amHD

Gambatte Chichi…you can do it!

is it just me, or Yuuko’s hair is getting a bit longer? Yuuko version shoujo manga is pretty.

• July 25, 2011 at 6:02 am1Lau

That cake was awesome Takaii

• July 25, 2011 at 7:48 amRazgriz

Simplistic animation creating an overwhelming effect. This is what defines Nichijou from the rest of the random-genre anime, if I say it in the technical aspect. But the exaggerated facial expressions are just too difficult to ignore. On another note, I really don’t have any idea about the Card Tower scene as to why it’s causing such a fuss on this side of the slope. I’ve never read the manga or watched the anime at this time. Looks like I’ll have to find out.

• July 25, 2011 at 8:27 amAndré

This episode almost got me killed, literally. I’m sick, but I started laughing from one of the scenes and then I started to cough really hard. After that I got a serious headache for about one hour.

• July 25, 2011 at 11:53 amMad_Dog

I think i’ve seen that card-castle bit before….

• July 25, 2011 at 12:23 pmOtaku_Brawler

Poor Nakanojo, always caught in the middle. I wonder how fast his hair will grow back.

• July 25, 2011 at 1:01 pmJack Vojack

you know your skit is very good when you don’t need sounds for it! that’s pro level right there! Still had me laughing!

• July 25, 2011 at 1:55 pmhelen

I frankly don’t give a sugar about Sakamoto. He doesn’t do anything for me. Can we have the crow come back and replace him, please?

• July 25, 2011 at 4:50 pmWibnice

Takaii, isn’t the ending song titled “Kaijuu no Ballad”? I find it amusing there’s a choral song about a giant monster.

• July 25, 2011 at 7:03 pmRicalloo

I’m not sure why everyone loves the card pyramid scene so much. It aggravated me…

The rest of the episode was great, though.

• July 25, 2011 at 7:17 pmrochichan

This episode was great, as always.
    But I couldn’t help but notice Yukko’s hair got SLIGHTLY longer during the “Trying-NOT-To-Be-Like-Manzai” part. >__<'
    I don't know why it bothered me so much. o v o'

• July 26, 2011 at 7:36 amarthryuu

Episodes 1-16: Regular length.
      First half of 17: Longer.
      Last scene of 17: Even longer.

• July 26, 2011 at 12:03 aminferno10

Finally! I’ve been wondering what that black triangular thing in the sky was.

• July 26, 2011 at 1:20 amRaytam

I think white cat in this ep kind a cute. She running out from under the table and Mai-chan pull her back in no time while two girls still playing Card-Tower.