Mawaru Penguindrum – 05 »« Mawaru Penguindrum – 03

Mawaru Penguindrum – 04

Mawaru Penguindrum   04   01 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   02 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   03
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   04 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   05 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   06
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   07 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   08 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   09
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   10 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   11 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   12
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   13 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   14 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   15
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   16 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   17 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   18
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   19 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   20 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   21
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   22 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   23 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   24
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   25 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   26 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   27
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   28 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   29 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   30
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   31 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   32 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   33
Mawaru Penguindrum   04   34 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   35 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   36

「舞い落ちる姫君」 (Maiochiru Himegimi)
“Descending Princess”

Ikuhara must not like me or something. Just when I got into the “Survival Strategy” swing of things and was looking forward to another “Himari” appearance, he decides not to have one in the very next episode. Between a big shiny forehead and a penguin cap to cover it, I’m going to have to go say I prefer the latter, especially with the “ROCK OVER JAPAN” insert song that comes with it. Also, things just don’t feel the same without “Himari” kicking off an episode by telling Kanba and Shouma that they’ll never amount to anything.

We did have the penguins adding some amusement though, putting a literal spin on “giving head”. More of Ringo with Shouma tagging along wasn’t too shabby either, particularly when the skunk got involved and sprayed the heck out of Ringo on two separate occasions. (Swapping clothes with Shouma is NOT going to get rid of that smell.) The comedic aspect picked up a fair degree, largely due to Ringo’s wild delusions coming to a crashing halt, making everything play out rather nonsensically until Kanba’s ex-girlfriend/teenage model Kuhou Asami (Hayami Saori) got pushed down an escalator at the very end. (I really didn’t think she’d show up as a character after her name came up in episode three, let alone be voiced by Saori.)

Naturally, they want us to believe that it was Ringo fulfilling her destiny, which is why I’m inclined to believe that it wasn’t her at all. All we saw were some feminine fingers and blank pants, plus Ringo’s diary only mentions a girl in red shoes, an escalator, and Asakaka-mitsuke Station at 9pm — nothing about pushing her down. The girl that Asami was talking to about plans to crush Kanba (presumably) — Natsume Masako (Horie Yui) — made it sound like she wasn’t exactly in the best company, so who knows what kind of haters she may have attracted. The character who I’m more concerned about is Yuri, after she told Ringo that she doesn’t have a chance against her with Tabuki. Those are some fightin’ words, and actually made our stalker girl come off as the victim in all this. She definitely came up on the short end of the stick on several occasions, so I can’t shake the feeling that her OCD-like obsession with fulfilling what’s written in her diary is largely just that — an obsession.

Largely but not entirely, as there appears to be a catch to how her diary works. Judging from the past two episodes, it seems to have the tendency of being correct but not quite how Ringo usually envisions things. Because of that, I get the feeling that we’re going to be given the runaround with the Penguin Drum for a good while, and that there’s more to it than simply Ringo’s diary. She’s clearly one of the main characters and getting way more screen time than Himari as of late, which makes it hard to imagine that Kanba and Shouma will be chasing her around forever. The introduction of Asami, Masako, and the other members of the “Heart-Broken Victims of Takakura Kanba Assocation” already suggests that there’s going to be much more to the story than the wild goose chase that we’re on now. Then there’s the other side of Yuri that’s very unlike her usual image, which has drawn a lot of attention to herself even when she’s not acting.

Where we go from here is anyone’s guess. It’s definitely getting harder not to get swept up in the lighthearted pace of things so that I can try to take in as many subtle hints as possible, but I love what that adds to the entertainment value.

Preview & End Card

Mawaru Penguindrum   04   Preview 01 Mawaru Penguindrum   04   End Card 01
July 29, 2011 at 2:10 am
  • July 29, 2011 at 2:23 amTaiakun

This diary is reminding me a bit of the chinese coin episode in Supernatural, where wishes will come true, but not exactly what you wanted. All good fun :)

• July 29, 2011 at 2:24 ammarolala

Shouma’s adorable. :b And tbh, I prefer penguin-hat Himari too. Less annoying. :x

• July 29, 2011 at 2:28 amx

Argh! This was like a bad shojou manga comedy. Just when I thought it was confusing enough, it gets worst. I feel like I just got trolled.

• July 29, 2011 at 2:32 amStranger

I’m having trouble with what exactly Ringo is supposed to be in this story; main character? Villain?

This episode didn’t lessen my confusion any, and simply cemented my impression of her as completely bat-shit crazy. And not in the good way.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:37 pmlkaze

Using logic of anime, Ringo will probably fall in love to Shoma and then be part of their team together to fight the villain.

• August 1, 2011 at 2:03 amWrynn

Ringo is clearly not a villain. She’s a pawn. She’s not evil, just stupid, like all people who believe in fate.

• July 29, 2011 at 2:49 amsomeoneelse

dunno why but im really liking this show

• July 30, 2011 at 9:38 pmlkaze

SEIZOOONN SENRYAKUUUUUUU

• July 29, 2011 at 2:50 amDyne

For a while I was hoping #2 would save Ringo…but then when it went for a fish, that was the funniest moment of this episode. And I’m also missing my weekly dose of ‘seizon senryakuuuuuuu-!’. I’ve got a feeling that this is not the last time we’ll hear about that skunk. After all, it has this penguin on its back.

• July 29, 2011 at 3:22 amCroos

yeah. I lol at that as well. Maybe a new Survival Strategy next week.

• July 29, 2011 at 8:13 amSilentcid

生存戦略!

• July 29, 2011 at 3:11 pmDyne

生存戦略ぅーーー!!!

• July 29, 2011 at 6:14 amJack Spicer

Another thing that stood out about Kiyoshi the skunk is when the reporter is talking about him he says “Contact police if you see him because Kiyoshi the skunk is…” and it cuts off. I’m wondering what the rest of that sentence would have been.

• July 29, 2011 at 11:25 amKurisu Vi Britannia

That definitely was the best part of the episode this week.

• July 30, 2011 at 12:33 amAllnighter

I had to laugh when Ringo was receiving CPR… notice the Pegi-chan standing around with a fish flopping around it’s mouth? It was like Shouma was really giving a wet, sloppy one as he gave Ringo cpr…. lol

• August 3, 2011 at 6:29 amfrubam

yep, that was definitely hilarious X03!

• July 29, 2011 at 3:11 amCroos

Maybe the next time we expect the “Survival Strategy”, someting other than Himari might appear. Maybe a “Dark penguin”? :D

I am thinking that the Penguindrum isn’t an ordinary book. Where in Ringo thinks its just a regular diary where everything she just writes just comes true and must be fulfilled it.
    I think the diary is a item where in everything that is written happens.

I lol-ed with this pic. Light reflecting to the forhead. Thats new.

• July 29, 2011 at 4:03 ambearzerger

Like I said last week I find the quirky weirdness with the serious touch extremely appealing. So far this is the best show of the season for me.

Shouma and Ringo are a match made in heaven. He submissive and capable and she aggressive and full of fail.

I wonder whether there isn’t more to the skunk than is readily apparent. It does have that penguin mark on its back afterall.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:39 pmlkaze

perhaps it the “other team” familiar?

• July 29, 2011 at 4:12 amZaku Fan

Looks like there isn’t just one destiny diary. Yuri may well have one as well and the shadowy figure talking to the girl may also have one.

Since the penguin hat wasn’t even sure the penguin drum was with ringo, it seems more likely that ringo is only a lead to the real penguin drum which may be actually in seperated in parts (the diaries, stamps or the women themselves?)

• July 29, 2011 at 4:25 amKurofaise

Another brilliant episode, it’s pretty solidified for me that this is the best of the season so far and I loved the humour this episode. The ending caught me off guard and had be nearly falling out of my chair. Loved it.

• July 29, 2011 at 6:17 amJack Spicer

This was easily the funniest episode so far. Its been awhile since I’ve laughed so much at an anime. I also really enjoy how the episode was light-hearted for most but still had a couple ‘dark’ punches.

• July 29, 2011 at 6:36 amClick

Wow. That was just…. hilarious. In fact, this episode was so hilarious, that the twist at the end really caught me off guard. However, I don’t think that the assailant was Ringo, since Shouma hinted that the diary may not have been written by Ringo.

• July 29, 2011 at 7:20 amSaya

Yeah, I didn’t really realize until now but this really is shaping up to be my favorite of the season (out of the new ones at least. I just love its “abuse” of colour, the soundtrack is pretty awesome and I can’t get enough of the penguins and their lecherous ways. Too adorable DX

I have to say Shouma looked really cool doing the CPR, too bad it was with Ringo. I feel sorry for him, he should have let her drown like #2 did hahaha.

Then ending was pretty shocking since most of the episodes was light hearted with the Rose of Versailles parodies and all. I wonder who pushed her and also how exactly Kanba’s ex-girlfriends will tie into the story. They seemed unrelated at first but that might not be the case now.

• July 29, 2011 at 8:12 amSilentcid

Heart-Broken Victims of Takakura Kanba Assocation are going to blame Kanba for pushing Kuhou Asami down the escalator.

• July 29, 2011 at 9:20 amPhosphatide

but ocd already stands for “obsessive compulsion disorder” so ocd-obsessive is like really redundant

• July 29, 2011 at 9:46 amJack Spicer

I just re-watched the episode, from the two shots we have of the person who pushes Asami on the escalator is the very same person she was talking to on the telephone earlier. Just compare the leggings and the sleeves to what you see of her in the intro.

• July 29, 2011 at 10:41 amdbm

Right. Also, the person was dressed in black pants and some sort of top with tan sleeves, which matches this character from the opening:

And here she is on the phone, shown in silhouette and at dusk so the colors aren’t clear:

• July 30, 2011 at 12:19 pmznail

Good catch with the clothes there!
        The sleeves match her perfectly.

• July 29, 2011 at 11:28 amKurisu Vi Britannia

It’s the sexy looking girl from the opening! She finally arrives!

• July 30, 2011 at 6:35 pmHomura

There’s a subway map-style “character terminal” floating around out there that shows some of the characters and how they’re linked. Looks like the mystery girl is named Natsume Masako. It shows that Kuhou “adores” Natsume, but Natsume “is using” Kuhou. Is that helpful? Natsume or whoever reminds me of Juri from Utena.

• July 29, 2011 at 10:58 amDeviluke

Ringo is a psycho i have never seen anyone try that hard for somebody to like them and seeing how she pushed that girl of the escalator looks like is going to get worst or maybe it wasnt her…………..

• July 29, 2011 at 3:58 pmCroos

Where still not sure if she was the one :D and also where still not sure if she really has the really penguindrum. Like what the Penguin hat said “Maybe”.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:43 pmlkaze

The book simply state what would happen in the future, not what she have to do.

• July 29, 2011 at 11:16 amBlue

I was sort of wavering from Penguindrum but this episode brought my expectations back. I was not expecting that perhaps the person in Ringo’s diary might be Sho but now that when I thought about it he has eaten Ringo’s curry and he did fulfil the requirements at lunch and with the CPR. Not sure how I would feel about them as a couple but I’m sure they would be hilarious to watch.

• July 29, 2011 at 11:27 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Anyone else sit all the way through that ep thinking ‘STEAL THE DAMN DIARY AND RUN!’?

• July 29, 2011 at 1:38 pmMrMartini

I was thinking when Ringo was drowning that he should have hidden the diary in the bushes behind him before saving her and retrieve it later.

• July 29, 2011 at 11:49 amJunk

Oh, Kunihiko Ikuhara, I still love you!

It’s probably a good thing that you haven’t spearheaded your own anime project in more than ten years, since it seems you have a limited internal library to play with, but when you do it, it’s damn good.

• July 30, 2011 at 7:17 pmAngelMercury

Agreed. Everything about this show screams Utena, but I loved Utena and am loving this. Know how that turned out I’m expecting things to get pretty wild by the end.

• August 1, 2011 at 2:08 amWrynn

This project isn’t being spearheaded by Ikuhara. He’s just the director this time around, not the original creator or anything… and losing control over the premise really limits his options, so don’t expect everything to be his doing.

• August 1, 2011 at 2:22 amWrynn

I also wanted to point out that Ikuhara’s “wisdom personality” means he doesn’t simply repeat himself in each one of his works, unlike a lot of other authors.

• July 29, 2011 at 12:30 pmMedoi

shouma is really adorable <3 ringo on the other hand…her imaginations are funny at all, but she is so rude i can't stand it. hopefully she gets better in later episodes

• July 29, 2011 at 1:41 pmMrMartini

I’m just gonna throw this out there, since everyone else is speculating like crazy: maybe the skunk is the Penguindrum since it has a penguin on its bum: Penguinbum.

• July 29, 2011 at 1:46 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

Agreed.

• July 29, 2011 at 3:33 pmbear

I don’t think the skunk is the penguindrum, I think that it is working for a faction opposing the penguin queen. Not only was there the skunk, but there is a black penguin that is in the OP. They may have also been in the recycling bins in the first episode. The skunk definitely seemed to be after Ringo.

Wonder what a penguin drum could be? A drum made out of penguin hide? A drum for calling penguins? Played by penguins? Maybe it’s a drum for storing penguins! Like a 55 gal drum.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:47 pmlkaze

Agreed. It possible that they are trying to mess up Ringo love as part of their plan. Which bring to my attention: how innocent do you think the actress is? I think she part of the other group, I mean come on. A famous actress wanting to score a geek teacher and crazy enough to hide Ringo shoe. Hint: teacher is part of the key to Penguin Drum.

• July 29, 2011 at 2:16 pmFrozenFury

I can’t decide which penguin is the best, #1 or #2. So hard to decide when they both have some ridiculous hijinks.

• July 29, 2011 at 5:24 pmCroos

the best penguin = #0

• July 29, 2011 at 4:56 pmRicalloo

Ugh, this episode was awful. About the only part I found funny was when they made the penguin look like he was gonna save her only to find out he was really just fishing.

Other than that, all those cutaway scenes with the prince and whatnot… just terrible.

I have to say, though, the ED theme is so awesome I listen to it two or three times every episode.

• July 29, 2011 at 8:15 pmJack Spicer

I totally disagree with you on your opinion of the episode, but I had to add that I also love the closing theme. I find it kind of haunting.

• July 30, 2011 at 1:30 pmjingoi

I agree with you, the penguin fishing and Ringo not getting her way was the only good part.
      Worst ep to me so far and now I’m deleting it.

• August 1, 2011 at 1:42 pmOscar

I spy someone who wouldn’t recognize a Rose of Versailles reference if it can-can’ed up and down the Champs de Elysee waving a rose-emblazoned banner.

• July 29, 2011 at 6:11 pmSeishun Otoko

Anyone thinks the show is going for a Shouma x Ringo pairing? ;D

• July 30, 2011 at 1:58 pmGuardian

I’d prefer a Ringo x Burial Plot pairing.

• July 30, 2011 at 6:36 pmHomura

Agree. I’m so over her and it’s only her third episode.

• July 30, 2011 at 4:57 pmOffice Otaku

I dont think they are going there, but i would like it if they really end up doing that. Too bad this series seems like the type that sidelines used characters. I’m hoping against that though.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:48 pmlkaze

“MWP just doesn’t feel right without the transformation sequence at the beginning.”

glad not be the only one.

• July 29, 2011 at 8:28 pmEliteF22

Wow, they even managed to sneak in a pantsu shot there.

• July 30, 2011 at 9:50 pmlkaze

All those damn penguin getting all the action. They were looking upskirt, looking into the skirt and eating all the love food.

• July 29, 2011 at 10:18 pmTre

It took me well over an hour to watch this episode, because I had to stop every minute and wait for my laughter to stop.

This show is amazing. The story and characters are really starting to get fleshed out, but what really drives everything are those penguins…

• July 30, 2011 at 4:56 amRandom

To be honest, I was already sensing a Sho x Ringo relationship vibe from the first time she appeared. Prolly because it feels to me that this series is giving also a Kan x Himari vibe and well, since Ringo love with that guy is one-sided, the only person who she could really end up with would be Sho. Also, this series has romance in its genre. So, no way are they gg to let the main characters have any love interest… (ok, nevermind the latter. Hopefully no Sho x Ringo, cause I dont really like Ringo. Hopefully she will change.)

Oh well, I love this series mostly because of the character design and the characters themselves, (damn, I love Sho, Kan and Himari) and also, the PENGUINS. :D

Plus, I want to know more abt this series and in which direction will the series be going towards.

• July 30, 2011 at 7:24 amewok40k

Poor stalker girls delusions were hilarious… and the ways the destiny was twisted were straight from Shakespeare – Birnam forest marching anyone?
    I guess there is more to Kanba’s victims club than we have been shown.
    If that girl died, this makes show suddenly very serious.
    I presume someone might be trying to frame Kanba.
    And Sho X Ringo would be fun! Especially if that is her TRUE destiny…

• July 30, 2011 at 12:30 pmznail

It shouldn’t take any decent officer long to figure out that Kanba isn’t the most likely culprit, even more so as the girl was the one least hostile to Kanba. Admittedly this is more obvious to us who listened to her phone call as it seems like she was more eager to get back with Kanba then getting even, which is most likely the actual motive.

Sho X Ringo would be funny, mostly because of what he knows about her :P

• July 30, 2011 at 9:51 pmlkaze

I’ll bet it will be pretty funny to watch Ringo X Sho

• July 30, 2011 at 1:49 pmGuardian

Dropped. God, this episode sucked. Die horribly, Ringo. Or at least just DIE.

• July 30, 2011 at 6:39 pmVii

I actually didn’t like this episode as much as the last 3. I’m sick of Ringo, and although the whole “Inner Mind Theater” thing was hilarious the first few times (Tamaki, anyone?), they kind of overdid it as the episode went on…

I’m not dropping it though, I’m way too in love with the penguins and the whole vibe of this show in general.

• July 30, 2011 at 7:08 pmHomura

Is that a plum Ringo is stamping? Japanese word for fate is unmei but I keep thinking ume, like a plum. Didn’t know if this was a pun because my Japanese is like a four-year-old’s.

• July 31, 2011 at 8:32 pmsamixa

ringo SUCKS!!!!

• August 3, 2011 at 6:30 amfrubam

Ringo’s Diary = superior version of a Death Note?

• August 4, 2011 at 2:05 pmpablo

ringo annoy the crap out of me and I see Shouma as the much bigger victum

• August 5, 2011 at 2:54 ammac65

A funny episode! Some of Ringo’s antics reminds me of Ep. 4 of
    Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls (and also of some of my plans
    on outings I’ve been on). The penguins are turning out
    to be voyeurs – and slap-stick funny!

I think the best way of watching is to let each episode
    carry you into its story – this is definitely a series
    where too much thought will ruin it for the viewer, IMHO.

The animation is clever and interesting – quite the art.