Ouran High School Host Club (Drama) – 03 »« Ouran High School Host Club (Drama) – 01

Ouran High School Host Club (Drama) – 02

Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   01 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   02 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   03
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   04 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   05 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   06
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   07 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   08 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   09
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   10 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   11 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   12
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   13 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   14 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   15
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   16 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   17 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   18
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   19 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   20 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   21
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   22 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   23 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   24
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   25 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   26 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   27
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   28 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   29 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   30
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   31 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   32 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   33
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   34 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   35 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   36
Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   37 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   38 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   39

「Episode 2」

Now that I’m settled in with all the actors in their respective roles, I have to say I found this second episode absolutely hilarious. None of the material being covered is new to me, but when I compare Miyano Mamoru’s over-the-top portrayal of the idiotic Tamaki in the anime to Yamamoto Yuusuke’s variation in this drama, I find myself thoroughly amused. It all starts with his growing obsession to get Haruhi to go back to her feminine appearance and his wild delusions of what it would be like. This then leads to his absolute life-shattering realization that Haruhi wouldn’t be able to stay in the host club if it’s discovered that she’s a girl during the school’s physical examination.

I got a good laugh out of Tamaki whining like a little girl when Haruhi had absolutely no interest in keeping her gender a secret, as images of the same scene in the anime quickly popped in my head. No one ever said that the craziness in anime translates normally to real-life, but if you’re familiar with the manga or anime that a drama is adapting, it’s easy to appreciate all the source material that’s faithfully included. Just loosen up and enjoy the moment, even the hard to get through ones between Kaoru and Hikaru, which weren’t any easier for me in the anime thanks to Suzumura Kenichi.

Admittedly, it took me a good while before I finally got through the anime, having put it on indefinite hold when the eccentric characters and brotherly BL aspects completely threw me off. It wasn’t until much later that I finished the series and was completely sold on it, so I can only imagine the reaction of those diving head-first into this drama. Irksome would probably be an understatement, considering that I was pretty irked myself in the early parts of the first episode. Since then, this show has quickly shaped out to be something that I’m really enjoying. The best approach is to just take everything at face value and not read too much into the intentional stupid behavior. Before long, all of it really grows on you and helps define the characters. At least initially anyway, because they later surprise you with amazingly reliable moments, which Haruhi may not always agree with, but does open up to when Tamaki does something really considerate despite being filthy rich.

Tamaki is probably one of the most bipolar male anime characters that I can think of, so it’s hilarious how that can translate so well in front of the camera. His shrieking is feminine to the point that you would question his sexual preference, but oh so amusing given the context that prompts it. The scene where he came out pretending to be Haruhi was too funny, especially after seeing the others laugh at him because he actually believed it would work. It really brought me back, much like Haruhi’s stare. Like all actors and actresses in these adaptations, I’m sure Yuusuke thoroughly studied his character both in the manga and the anime, and even borrowed some ideas from Mamoru’s interpretation. It would’ve been really interesting to see Mamoru play the lead role, given that he does have the looks to star in a drama and could’ve used the exact same voice as the anime, but I haven’t been the least bit disappointed by Yuusuke.

As for the other actors, Chiba Yuudai is really showing his boyish charm, particularly in this scene, so he is looking more and more like Honey to me. If anyone’s going to give me some difficulty, it’s going to be Haruhi’s okama (i.e. drag queen) father, who was briefly mentioned here much to the host club’s disbelief. I’m actually not sure if he’s going to make an appearance. The next episode looks like it’s going to feature Jounouchi Ayame (Nakabeppu Aoi) as a guest character, who only had a small cameo in episode 24 of the anime. That should prove interesting since I know very little about her character. For those wondering about Houshakuji Renge, she’s slated to show up in episode four and is played by Tsuchiya Tao. I can’t wait to see what the self-proclaimed manager brings.

I’ve been making a point of watching live-action dramas based on manga/anime that I enjoyed, and some of the more recent ones include Moyashimon and Honey and Clover. They were both pretty good watches in terms of entertainment value, and this Ouran variation has been right up there with them.

* The material in this episode was covered in episode three of the anime. All the key scenes were covered, including the suspicious-looking doctor Yabu, who came looking for his daughter and mistakenly wound up at Ouran High School instead of Ourin High School, and the guys using Ootoro (fatty tuna) sushi to convince Haruhi to try and keep her gender a secret.

Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   Preview 01 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   Preview 02 Ouran High School Host Club Drama   02   Preview 03
July 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm
  • July 30, 2011 at 6:00 pmRazgriz

I am just…stoked about the accuracy of the real-life faces to the anime ones. I think this is worth watching after all. I’m eyeing this and Mayo Chiki! at the same time.

• July 31, 2011 at 1:15 pmfrubam

Me as well. Although I don’t watch a lot of j-dramas, I have to say that their facial looks, and expressions look very much like the anime, ESP Haruhi’s char

• July 30, 2011 at 6:10 pmhelen

This is pure win. Love dramas that follow their anime/manga counterparts so intricately and precisely. I’m just curious about the “which of us is Hikaru/Kaoru episode – as the actors who play these brothers look clearly different from each other.

• July 31, 2011 at 10:42 amNellie

It’s really strange cause I believe Takagi Shinpei and Manpei are identical twins.

• July 31, 2011 at 2:17 pmhelen

Oh. They don’t look alike at all. I wouldn’t even think they’re related. Well, good to know.

• July 30, 2011 at 6:50 pmsuper_KLAC

what you expect tamaki is tsurugi from kabuto yet bit both similar at least tamaki is not a “worm”.

yet wait for ep.4 for live action renge imagine laugh in live action version?!

• July 30, 2011 at 6:52 pmhaga

anime > live drama
    live drama homo level > anime

• July 30, 2011 at 7:01 pmYarr

• July 31, 2011 at 2:33 amYarr

Anyone?

• July 31, 2011 at 2:58 pmDivine

Didn’t I already point this out last week?

• July 31, 2011 at 9:37 pmDan

More like, isn’t that the whole point of this show?

• August 5, 2011 at 7:27 amCroos

well haruhi was call “the boy who’s looks are like a girl” in other words a bishounen

• July 30, 2011 at 7:03 pmSayaka

Where can I watch this? I’ve been trying to find it and I can’t… :( It looks pretty good from the looks of it!

• July 30, 2011 at 7:31 pmSaya

Look under Community on the sidebar, and go to d-addicts. If you can’t do torrents there are some places where you can download them through MU/MF (Google is your friend). I sometimes go to a place called ourhour on lj. They source both the videos and subs too for you.

I would give you direct links but it’s not allowed. It should be pretty self-explanatory within the sites.

Sorry if not even this comment is allowed, but since a few people have been asking even from last week…

• July 30, 2011 at 8:49 pmDivine

Perfectly acceptable. Thanks for explaining Saya.

• July 30, 2011 at 11:07 pmlkaze

The only problem I have is that Divine can blog faster than translation coming out. I’m guessing either all the comment here is outdated, all of us know japanese raw or like me(commenting without watching the show). I’ll come back again when the translation done, for now I will watch 1st episode.

• July 30, 2011 at 11:58 pmSaya

Always happy to help. C:

@Ikaze Haha but isn’t it always like that? This happened to be the first time I watched a show RAW and was able to understand the whole way through. But since it’s Ouran I guess that it doesn’t really count.

I just checked though and the subs for ep.2 just came out, just to let you know.

• August 1, 2011 at 5:21 pmlkaze

I finally decide to watch the raw so that I could comment on this episode. I suppose it will be a good icentive to learn japanese by going in straight. Beside I watch the entire anime, read the entire manga. How hard can it be to understand them.

P.S. Thx for your hint, but MU too slow for me. For now I only got raw.

• August 2, 2011 at 10:01 pmnagi

Saya, you don’t know how grateful I am to you that you introduced such an awesome site, ourhour to me! Really, thanks a lot!

• July 30, 2011 at 7:04 pmstarss

Vic Mignogna should totally dub over Yamamoto’s peformance, and a billion people will fall of their chair laughing!

• July 30, 2011 at 7:19 pmSaya

I nearly died at Tamaki’s Haruhi cosplay as well, just like I did 5 years ago. Good times. It’s even more apparent in real life how stupid the idea was and how dumb tono is. I liked how they tried to capture some scenes frame by frame such as Haruhi’s glare. One scene I missed was the one where Tamaki calls the rest of the clubs homos.

Regarding the BL tones I actually loved that in the anime, it is a bit awkward to watch in real life but since the (real life) twins tend to overact a bit anyway those kind of scenes sort of suit them lol. I’m getting used to the cast now, so some things don’t irk me as much as last week. The standout is still Yuusuke…and Mori. Funny how I favour the live-action Mori when it was pretty much the opposite in the anime/manga. And Nekozawa STILL seriously needs to go away.

I wonder why they’re jumping so far ahead to Ayame next week…or even why they’re doing Ayame at all. She’s not all the significant imo.

P.S Divine did you happen to watch the live-action of Arakawa? I absolutely died when I heard Oguri Shun was playing Soncho and that sister was being played by Shirota Yuu. I haven’t watched jdramas in so long so having actors I actually like in a show such as Arakawa is even better. The cast are doing a pretty good job translating into the characters too from what I’ve seen aka ep 00 and 01.

• July 30, 2011 at 8:22 pmDivine

I haven’t actually, but Shun playing Sonchou sounds so messed up that it looks like I’ll have to.

• July 30, 2011 at 10:34 pmShadoWanderer

Yeah, if you seen the anime or read the manga of Arakawa Under the Bridge, then you should check out its jdrama, since it’s hilarious and so is seeing Shun Oguri as Shocho in the Kappa getup and the every other Arakawa resident so far. And its quirkiness helps me get use to it in live action very easy, while it’s still probably going to take me another episode for Ouran…

• July 30, 2011 at 8:02 pmGambler

I understood a lot of what happened but missed the part with that doctor and his daughter. Can someone explain.

• July 30, 2011 at 8:18 pmDivine

You can just read the summary from the post on the anime’s third episode, which I linked right in the post.

• July 30, 2011 at 8:50 pmLuxorcist

I can’t help but feel I’ve seen this post before, but that might be on another blog.

• July 30, 2011 at 10:02 pmMrTerrorist

• July 30, 2011 at 10:26 pmBROOKLYN otaku

heh, the ladies must be loving this!

• July 31, 2011 at 8:30 amGekokujou

Well to be fair on the male viewers, they did give us a free fanservice shot of the girls half-changed.

• July 31, 2011 at 4:22 amoutcast

Fatty tuna! :D

• July 31, 2011 at 5:32 amStereoman

I’m pretty sure it was Tamaki who kicked Yabu in the anime… Anyway, hilarious episode! :D

• July 31, 2011 at 10:59 amHotaruzuki

They do a lot of talking in front of girls…..Isn’t Haruhi’s gender a secret!?!?

This episode was hilarious~!

• August 1, 2011 at 2:47 aminnerchihiro

It’s funny, I’m only now realizing just how much time they spend in one room.

• August 1, 2011 at 7:12 pmlkaze

I laugh at him in anime, I laugh at him in manga, and I even laugh at him now.

• August 2, 2011 at 10:09 pmnagi

I’m about to accept Honey-senpai and the show as a whole but the weird CG just takes it all away! Why do they have to do that? For me it ruins the mood and all. Especially that very awkward jump-to-Haruhi CG and Tamaki crushing to the wall.

Anyway I love Nekozawa-senpai!

• August 5, 2011 at 7:35 amCroos

Is Tamaki a girl. XD. His acting is just so hilarious plus CG.

• August 5, 2011 at 3:32 pmShirikatsu

Apparently they also have ‘Arakawa Under the Bridge’ as a J-Drama too… I never watched the anime, but if I choose to watch the drama, I might watch the anime first xD

• August 9, 2011 at 1:11 amnagi

Believe me, you wouldn’t want to watch the drama first. The anime is soooo good, and the drama is just… MEH.

• December 29, 2011 at 10:52 amLuis

When the fuck did this happen