Maken-Ki! – 01 »« Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle – 01

Mashiro-iro Symphony – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「Authentic symphony」 by ちょうちょ (Choucho)
Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼

「ましろ色の出会い」 (Mashiro-iro no Deai)
“Pure White Encounter”

Well, it sure didn’t take long for me to get an answer about whether Manglobe would make a difference in an adult visual novel adaptation. The short answer is yes they do, at least visually. I actually forgot that Manglobe’s behind this production and had to check my own Fall 2011 Preview for the studio after I found the artwork and character designs a lot better looking than I anticipated. The opening theme by Niconico singer Choucho also caught my attention right away, as I really liked her song in last season’s Kami-sama no Memo-chou. What really impressed me though was how the complete first half of this premiere was devoted to our main protagonist Uryuu Shingo (Mizushima Takahiro) searching for his stepsister Sakuno (Gotou Mai) and it wasn’t the least bit dull.

I kid you not, I kept checking how much time had passed in the episode and didn’t find myself bored by the lack of progression. The reason being? I was mesmerized by the soft-spoken Sakuno and the picture she took of herself so that Shingo could find her. I thought to myself how they should really get hooked up with Google Latitude and save themselves a lot of grief in the future, but god damn, I was so intrigued by Sakuno’s character that I don’t think I would’ve minded even if Uryuu spent the entire episode looking for her. Things got even better with the introduction of the “main” heroine, Sena Airi (Ono Ryouko), who was not only friends with Sakuno but also on surprisingly polite terms with Shingo. Evidently, I never came across that important detail when I researched into the premise for Mashiro-iro, so this “starting on good terms” immediately changed my view on this show (…in a very good way).

At no point did I write off this adaptation back in the season preview; however, I did come in with very low expectations and admittedly, a bit of a “poncy” attitude where I thought I had a pretty good idea of what it would entail. Suffice to say, Manglobe gets the last laugh in this case, as Mashiro-iro still feels very much like a generic romantic comedy, but has something different about it. At first, I wasn’t even sure what it is, but the more I thought about it, it ultimately came down to the characters themselves. In this first episode, there were absolutely no cheap slapstick moments where our male protagonist gets beaten for reasons beyond his control. He’s not stumbling onto girls and accidentally groping or kissing them and instead, just searching for his stepsister whom he has a very close and normal relationship with. It’s all very very untypical for an anime — especially an eroge adaptation — and I dare say seeing Sakuno hug Shingo was a series-defining moment. Not only that, it was a series-defining moment in the very first episode. From that point on, I was convinced that there’s something unique about Mashiro-iro, which was quickly reiterated by a bath scene where Sakuno walks in on Shingo and nobody got hit. (I can see romantic comedy purists screaming blasphemy now.)

Does this make Mashiro-iro a godsend as far as adult VN adaptations go? Hell if I know — I’ve only seen a single episode. What I can tell you is that this first episode has single-handedly convinced me to continue watching this all-too common scenario where an all-girls school — a prestigious one in this case — suddenly turns co-ed and our male protagonist finds himself surrounded by beautiful girls. In all fairness, I can’t really generalize the plot like that, since the story revolves around a group of students from Shingo’s school — both male and female — who have been invited over for a test phase in preparation for Kagamidai Academy merging with Yuihime Academy (a.k.a. Yuijo). I don’t want to fumble around too much trying to describe this show, but I do feel it has a refreshing edge compared to other anime of the same kind. This first episode also ended on a really interesting note, where Airi drags her school principal mother, Sena Ranka (Sakurai Harumi, Yuri from Angel Beats), to try prevent the merger, only to find out that Sakuno and Shingo are among the students from Kagamidai. Airi hesitates at first, but goes ahead and tells the guys to screw off — a subtle complication, but a noteworthy one.

Rounding out the support cast is our self-style “Wild Maid” Angelina Nanatsu Sewell (Ichimura Oma), male-hater Inui Sana (Yoshida Mayumi), strange pet owner Amaha Miu (Rikumaru Noriko), and our staple male support character Mukunashi Hayata (Suzuki Tatsuhisa, Yuuji from Bakatest). I make no claims about Mashiro-iro turning out to be a romantic comedy above romantic comedies, but the material so far and Manglobe’s involvement make me want to find out if it does.

ED Sequence

ED: 「水彩キャンディ」 (Suisai Candy) by marble
Watch the ED!: Streaming ▼

October 5, 2011 at 1:05 am
  • October 5, 2011 at 1:21 ampimple

In any case, you’ve sparked my interest. Manglobe doing a harem anime right? Chouchou singing the OP huh? And no screaming when he walked in….?!!? Haha it might deteriorate into a sort of generic series but I’ll watch it anyway.

But I have to say that the cat-like organism looks a bit strange.

• October 5, 2011 at 3:25 amKurisu Vi Britannia

The second coming of the INCUBATOR!

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

• October 5, 2011 at 2:01 pmLuxorcist

Thanks, now I can never look at that cat the same way.

• October 6, 2011 at 3:19 amcybersteel

You spoiled my impression for this episode with that. I can never see that THING the same way again.

• October 13, 2011 at 12:39 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Hey, it’s a fair warning.

The Incubator comes in many shapes and forms.

• October 5, 2011 at 6:04 amBreedo

The cat is cute but no Momoneko, the bar is now set to high for any other fuzzy animals. lol

• October 5, 2011 at 1:17 pmAniXX

Wonder if there any real fuzzy Momoneko doll for sale, could imagine how comfy it be hugging it to sleep.

• October 6, 2011 at 9:17 amSOSAnimeBoy

Google did not help, so could you pls tell me what/who ‘Momoneko’ is?

• October 6, 2011 at 12:17 pmxcswmboy

Momoneko from Tamayura. It’s basically a living fluff ball.

• October 5, 2011 at 10:57 amKyubey

Will you girls form a contract with me and become Mahou Shoujo?

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

• November 11, 2011 at 8:14 amDensebrains

I think the cat like organism is actually a cartoonised Chinchilla, only with a longer tail.

It is really cyte in real life so check one out on Youtube.

• October 5, 2011 at 1:47 amJelJel

Now, if Hayata gets a pairing flag with a nice girl, I’ll sign up for this show. I find harem shows a lot more interesting when they let some spotlight on the male support character.

• October 5, 2011 at 2:13 amGhostalker

OK a harem anime that with a similar setup to the likes of Fortune Arterial, I approve of this, will check out the first episode.

Honestly I really like watching this kinds of show no matter how generic or cliche or cheesy it will become.

• October 5, 2011 at 2:39 amSerapita

Hmmm… I guess I’ll give this show a look. This one was not on my radar but since you’ve never failed me once, I think I should be able to enjoy it.

• October 5, 2011 at 2:50 amRacerx

I’ll watch this series because of the OP alone,been a huge fan of Choucho ever since i heard her cover of Miku’s bpm

• October 5, 2011 at 3:13 amfishell

Wow this season is full with epic graphics and drawings…

• October 5, 2011 at 12:04 pmShirt

Yeah that’s one of the first things I noticed about a lot of the shows. Even the sequels. They may have the same material but the animation and backgrounds have more detail. Like they all got next-gen consoles er somethin. In this show, the characters really pop out.

• October 5, 2011 at 3:49 ambakakubi

Wow, nice review. Now I’m really interested in this. It’s on my will watch list now. Also, random off topic question here, but what is the anime that’s on both the banner and on the left and right side of the webpage? Not knowing about it is driving me crazy!

• October 5, 2011 at 4:07 amRayyy

Guilty Crown

• October 5, 2011 at 9:05 ambakakubi

@Rayyy Thx!

• October 5, 2011 at 4:06 amRayyy

I really did think that cat was the reincarnation of kyuubei hahaha but other then that it was nice start!

• October 5, 2011 at 4:28 amricz

Nice review still waiting for the sub

Maybe this is the only anime(normal anime that no strange power or whatsoever) that I will watch

• October 5, 2011 at 4:37 amHenDarou

Something about Sakuno makes her so gut-wrenchingly cute. I guess it’s the combination of a cute design and a calm, soft-spoken, good-natured personality… Seeing that she has a route in the VN, I guess she does have feelings for him. I don’t know how it plays out in the VN, but I suspect it would be more serious than your typical “stepsister has crush on stepbrother”-plot.

Overall a very decent episode and certainly great art, just as expected from Manglobe. Not too happy about the apparent fact that Airi is the main heroine, though. Not too fond of her yet…

• October 5, 2011 at 4:52 amYin

I had no intention of picking up this series, but most shows that you’ve mentioned positive things about are worthy of a look. At least it can’t turn out worse than Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka… right? (:

• October 5, 2011 at 6:10 amAnimesetsuna

I really do hope that this show won’t be ended up like Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi. Many people really doesn’t like that show and the worse ending at all. I do find this show so epic.

• October 5, 2011 at 4:59 amcutemi2

please blog this, promise, you’ve won’t regret this.

• October 5, 2011 at 5:24 amLitho

WTF?!! … Manglobe is doing this? … and I thought Sacred Blackshit was the lowest they could go. >_<

Give me back the old Samurai Champloo and Michiko to Hatchin Manglobe!!

• October 6, 2011 at 10:47 amsealouse

Oh yeah I forget they did Sacred Blacksmith. Go figure.

• October 5, 2011 at 5:47 amAn-chan

So… so many kawaii girls…
    But, I wonder how the series will go – I nearly never watch anime with harem endings. Then again, step sister vs. everybody else… never ends good.
    Hm, in case it won’t keep up to my exceptations, I’ll watch it anyway, my eyes will be pleased. :))

• October 5, 2011 at 6:05 amAnimesetsuna

I watched raw and it’s really epic. The story are almost the same to the game. Like Shingo responded back to Angel “I’m back”. So everyone, it’s not hurt to watch this show.

• October 5, 2011 at 6:30 amChaos2Frozen

Well, this is one Anime that does what it says on the box ^^;

• October 5, 2011 at 6:53 amgawrshness

(I can see romantic comedy purists screaming blasphemy now.) <<<good one Divine xD the way you blogged this anime it seems like it's gonna be good I'll try this!

• October 5, 2011 at 7:42 amEldo

Well, i like the ending song. Added to watchlist…

• October 5, 2011 at 7:49 amSparkle

woahhh talk about production quality

• October 5, 2011 at 9:31 amMM

its kyubey the second. well at least this cat/ creature looks cute and has personality more than kyubey. other than that.. this show looks pretty cool especially the story and animation. I just hope its not like any other harem show but i will watch and see how the show turns out. (i will watch the show for the cat and the characters mainly the cat)

• October 5, 2011 at 9:33 amedde

generic crap is generic

also boring

• October 5, 2011 at 9:41 amFlamingYu

Agree, but I love it’s production quality.

• October 5, 2011 at 11:12 amAero

I enjoyed the game quite a bit and surprisingly I liked Airi the most. Being the main heroine, it’ll most likely that her route will be animated so I’m looking forward to it XD.

This is NOT a show for people who want story, this anime will probably be like the game, just comedy and character development.

• October 5, 2011 at 12:19 pmShirt

I don’t understand. What’s so special about Manglobe? Are they a bad production company?

• October 5, 2011 at 12:49 pmDivine

Quite the opposite — they’re supposed to be a good one with the likes of Samurai Champloo under their belt.

• October 5, 2011 at 7:10 pmShirt

Ohh! Well then I will keep that in mind. I see they did other great shows too. Kami-sama being the most recent. Thanks. With what’s under their belt, and Divine approval, I’m set to watch it now.

• October 5, 2011 at 1:27 pmZaku Fan

The backgrounds are very nicely drawn with a good palette of bright colors which help influence the mood of the work. The girls look alright and not so bouncy as to be silly. Needs a few more episodes to see how it goes but looks watchable

• October 5, 2011 at 1:49 pminnerchihiro

I’ll keep this one on the radar. Will probably check it out if ya’ll continue to say if it’s good.

• October 5, 2011 at 10:42 pmhaseo0408

Looks really good, I´ve been wanting to see a good romanctic series for a while now. It´s curious that Fortune Arterial was aired exacly a year from today, funny coincidence since that series strike as destined to be vampire cliche but turn out to be really good. I think you should blog this series to show if it´s as good as it seems, I´d love to hear your insight about it, What do you think Divine?.

• October 6, 2011 at 2:30 amDivine

Hmm, I dunno. I don’t have any Tuesday shows at the moment, but I really wanted to limit myself to six shows this season. I might just post Snapshots about it every now and then.

• October 6, 2011 at 2:53 amx

This looks interesting. The pacing was a little slow at some scenes for my liking, and at some places it felt a bit abrupt. Love the art, but that’s to be expected from Manglobe. The characters are okay. Music is okay. So far nothing to shout about in my opinion. Won’t say I love it or hate it. Will watch a few more episodes at least…

• October 6, 2011 at 12:18 pmxcswmboy

I wondered where that Cat ball thing came from. I had a wallpaper of it for a while now.

• October 6, 2011 at 2:33 pmSilver

Wallpaper of it? You should show me! I always thought it was really cute… and odd.

• October 6, 2011 at 4:32 pmLeo Khan

So far so good. The main heroine looks like she might go tsundere. I don’t personally mind, tho I know people get turned off but them. I really liked the opening song but I skipped the ed one tho. XD

• October 6, 2011 at 6:56 pmRoguespirit

I’m also glad this is turning out to have some twist to the usual formula of romcoms out there. I’m so sick of the main male protagonist of these types of shows getting constantly beat up. It’s an overused gag that puts me off some shows now. Fortunately this show looks different with some depth and I’m eager for the next episode.

• October 6, 2011 at 7:22 pmkaon

thanks you so muchb

• October 7, 2011 at 7:15 amdroplet

The graphics caught my attention immediately. It looks amazing, but the anime itself progressed too slow for me. Short attention span ftl. I paid more attention to my homework than the anime when trying to watch it. Judging from what I’ve read on this post I’ll give ep2 a shot. Plus.. that cat thing is too damn cute.

• October 7, 2011 at 7:20 amGhostalker

I felt the episode spend a whole lot of time going in circles around a park as the characters are searching for each other.

Hopefully this series turns out much better than what it did this episode.

• October 9, 2011 at 12:51 amLucia

Thank you I want to watch this anime. Not sure if anyone will be blogging this though. The art designs look good so I’ll give this a try

• October 9, 2011 at 4:59 pmNekore44

Ow, Necks don’t Turn that way.

• October 11, 2011 at 8:42 pmPen3

After watching episode 2 i think my favorite character is Angelina

• October 12, 2011 at 4:11 amTamao

Divine, please answer!
    How do you make full sized pictures? (for example, that one with Sakuno in a bath towel), I always wanted full size of certain pictures, but I don’t know how to do it! :(
    Can you tell me what program you use? I myself have Media Player Classic, but it can’t save full sized images, only thumbnails…

/Tama

• October 12, 2011 at 5:20 amGhostalker

I’m using MPC also, I can save image files at the resolution of the video. File – Save Image

• October 13, 2011 at 1:04 amnagi

This being an eroge adaptation, would this turn-out to be NSFW anime in the future (at par with Yosuga no Sora)?

• December 17, 2011 at 3:12 pmelior1

and miu win the main character