Guilty Crown – 11 »« Guilty Crown – 09

Guilty Crown   10   22 Guilty Crown   10   23 Guilty Crown   10   24
Guilty Crown   10   25 Guilty Crown   10   26 Guilty Crown   10   27
Guilty Crown   10   28 Guilty Crown   10   29 Guilty Crown   10   30
Guilty Crown   10   31 Guilty Crown   10   32 Guilty Crown   10   33
Guilty Crown   10   34 Guilty Crown   10   35 Guilty Crown   10   36

「縮退 retraction」 (Shukutai)

I’d like to think that I’m pretty forgiving as far as anime goes — particularly when it comes to overused stereotypes — but while Guilty Crown’s done a decent job of avoiding that pitfall lately, there always seems to be something else that rubs me the wrong way. This time it was Shuu and almost everything about his character. I was prepared to see him traumatized over his inability to save Jun, but not to the degree that it was depicted here. There simply hasn’t been enough to suggest that being reminded of the Lost Christmas would result in a complete breakdown of his character, other than maybe his lack of memories from his childhood. Even if I were to assume that’s the reason Shuu’s forgotten about Gai and the older sister-like girl whom they both presumably loved, his character simply hasn’t been portrayed in a way that makes me pity him.

As such, watching him screw up a Funeral Parlor mission, disappoint Ayase’s belief in him, call Inori a monster and wreck the device with her new song (which was conveniently way too fragile), and last but not least, confide in Hare as a replacement for Inori, turned out to be a rather frustrating endeavor. I get that Shuu’s meant to be a reluctant hero, but boy is he stretching my patience with him. It doesn’t help when his actions aren’t all that agreeable — especially when I’m already finding it hard to like his character — so I was actually happy to see Gai just continue on without him and take over the main protagonist role. Both Funeral Parlor and the series as a whole have been dragging their feet from being forced to have Shuu as the star of the show — so much so that I couldn’t help but wonder how much better things would be if he was simply written off. His finicky resolve is no different than the frustration I would feel about having a weak performer in a group whom I’m forced to work with. I can only be patient with someone for so long before the urgency of my own situation has to take precedence, much like it did for Gai.

I’d like to give Shuu the benefit of the doubt since he’s not mentally strong like Gai, but it’s pretty hard to when he has almost no redeeming qualities and his flakiness both hampers and hurts those around him (i.e. Hare). He doesn’t deserve the support of a cute girl who’s helplessly in love with him, let alone a group of terrorists who are trying to liberate Japan. I’m really not sure what the writers hope to achieve by making Shuu so difficult to like, but it’s unfortunate to say the least since the entire series revolves around him. There’s little doubt in my mind that his breakdown is a precursor to an eventual character-defining moment where he comes swooping in to save the day, but I’m afraid it might be a little too late to redeem his character by then. It’s not a good sign when he’s constantly question why he’s the main character in the story and I’m doing the same. The worst part of it is how Shuu’s problems tend to overshadow the much bigger ones surrounding Shuuichirou and his Anti-Bodies, who have turned out to be the ultimate antagonists as suspected.

The underlying story involving Gai’s love for the girl who fell for Shuu, Inori possibly being a clone of that girl, Daryl’s unrest over his father’s mistresses, and most of all, Shuuichirou’s unknown goal with Genome Resonance is coming together rather well in recent episodes. In connection to the latter, there was also a flashback to suggest that this girl’s singing caused a Genome Resonance ten years ago, which would tie into Inori’s reaction about how Shuuichirou twisted the “song”. Based on those developments, if I were to look at it from the perspective of Gai as the main protagonist, I dare say most of my qualms with the series would instantly disappear. I guess the producers were right about how Gai’s the “other” main character of the story, though I don’t think they were anticipating viewers like me who wishes he was the only one. Whatever the case, I’m quite content with how things are progressing from that angle with Gai’s cancer taking form and Inori experiencing some emotions for the first time. I’m just not expecting much from Shuu, other than maybe his continued disruption to the flow of the story. :P

* I don’t have any complaints about Inori wearing skimpy outfits during missions — as unpractical as they may be — but redjuice sure isn’t making it easy for cosplayers to dress up as her with his designs. She does look great in white with that backless design though.
* Production I.G, what the heck is this?
* Full-length images: 05, 16, 17.

ED Sequence & End Card

Guilty Crown   ED1.10   01 Guilty Crown   ED1.10   02 Guilty Crown   10   End Card 01

Guilty Crown   10   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   10   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   10   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

December 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm
  • December 17, 2011 at 7:24 pmAnimenz

We are almost halfway through the series and Shoe is still as pathetic as in the first episode.
    I can’t even listen to his whimpering voice anymore without having the urge to punch him really hard in the face.

• December 20, 2011 at 3:12 amMappy

The fundamental problem is that a show’s protagonist is supposed to (for the most part) operate as an audience identification figure, where the viewer should be able to empathise with everything the protag is feeling and going through. Without that, the viewer starts to question why they are following a story if they haven’t actually found a character that is likeable enough to make them care what happens to them. Any of them.

And when the producers deliberately make one of those anempathetic characters the protagonist, the MAIN character around which the whole show is being forced mavigate, because they want to try something different (that really isn’t that different or original and has been done far better), then they’ve created an issue where there wasn’t a need for one. And considering the creepingly ongoing nature of Shu’s personality and character breakdown, and the degree of incoherence with which the development of the show has been handled on many fronts up to this point, they’ve given themselves a bloody job and a half to recover the situation.

Because when people actually start to despise the protagonist and find things are genuinely better without him, you’ve really screwed the pooch.

• December 17, 2011 at 7:31 pmmikeaction

I LOVE THIS ANIME.

• December 18, 2011 at 12:28 amStranger

There’s reluctant heroes and then there’s flat-out wimps.

Yes- they exist. But to be the main character of this kind of story only to see him taking two steps backwards from the starting line when we’re already halfway through the race urges me to grow hair for the sole purpose of ripping it out in frustration.

I’ve seen mice with bigger balls than Shoe.

Female mice.

• December 20, 2011 at 7:44 pmThe Moondoggie

We have a theory on why he’s such a wimp:

Of course if it’s all true, then he can’t help be one. I’m guessing if we make 9-11 victims go inside a room and use hydraulics and sfx equipment to simulate the scene inside one of the rooms of the fallen tower, he/she will proceed to manifest the same symptoms, or worse.

• December 18, 2011 at 12:29 amOrange

I am thinking about the cross Gai was holding…is it possible to be Shu’s “sister”‘s?

• December 18, 2011 at 3:51 amAoi kaze

From watching the bit and pieces of “loose” picture here and there, and the way how Gui hold the cross and comment on Inori “getting more and more like her” I can’t help but think he had a go at shoe’s o-nei-chan. And may be just me, but watching ep 10 when the resonance activated and re-watching ep 1, scene 1, wasn’t that purple “laser effect” thing from the Tokyo-tower-look-alike looking suspicious?

• December 18, 2011 at 4:56 amDarkVoid

i think next week episode will be the end of shuu pathetic personalities with all his “friend” encourage him and next week haruka and gai will work together to destroy this shuichiro “human future plan” and daryl will show his weak side in next ep; please dont just drop the show now and see it till the end

• December 18, 2011 at 7:43 amDCLXVI

Guilty Crown might be trying to pull a Gurren Lagann here, with Gai being the catalyst to Shu’s character transformation. That said, Shu is really grating on me. I was thinking that the only truly batshit-crazy characters in this show were Segai and Daryl, but it looks like Shu wants some attention on that front too.

If IG means for us to be mad at Shu, then it’s doing a very good job. The rest of the story is chugging along quite nicely, and there was a Tsugumi scene in this episode, so I’m still pretty much happy.

We’ll likely see another Shu-saves-the-day-despite-his-half-assed-resolve moment next episode.

• December 18, 2011 at 4:41 pmPizzaface

Is it just me, or does anyone else find Gai to also be annoying? I get that Shuu’s character sucks, but I feel like Gai is an obnoxious prick as well. I don’t really want either of them to be the protagonist of the show. Seriously, lets just replace them both with Lelouch Vi Britania.

• December 18, 2011 at 8:49 pmLaughingMan

Nah, how about Dan?

• December 18, 2011 at 8:48 pmLaughingMan

I swear to God I raged so hard after this episode. Shoe is just such a useless and whiny faggot. Why the fuck can’t Gai be the protagonist for fuck’s sake! YES I MAD! FUCK THIS GAY EARTH!

• December 18, 2011 at 10:19 pmDa5id

Hey, does anyone ever wonder how Ayase got in the wheelchair? Or if they’ll ever give someone besides Shu some backstory?

• December 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm7godeohs

I hate to be ‘that guy’ but Inori seems rather well endowed in the first pic versus well any other picture in the ever of everdom.

This whole thing is really testing my patience but I have time dropping shows that I have started unless they are just terrible – so I’ll keep watching Eureka Seven, er….Guilty Crown until the end.

*Disclaimer: Eureka Seven was great and I’m not comparing the quality of the two.

• December 18, 2011 at 11:46 pmRakkyo

Come on guys, look at it from another angle. This is an amazing anime with deep story and good characters. There is only a little problem called the Protagonist, and once u skip the parts with Shuu in it, the show suddenly becomes much, much better.

• December 19, 2011 at 12:55 amDa5id

What about all the other characters that lack personalities and motives?

• December 19, 2011 at 1:07 amLulu23

@Rakkyo yeah I agree, and dont mind about Da5id, he is just a hater and cant accept that many people love the show and GC being a popular series.

• December 19, 2011 at 1:31 amDa5id

You really think my criticism is that baseless?

• December 19, 2011 at 6:02 amJif

I mean, that’s the problem, right? Once you’re willing to overlook X, Y, and Z, it’s a good show. There are other shows out there that don’t require as much disbelief-suspension in order to empathize with the characters. I’d say again that most of us want GC to succeed, and it’s particularly disappointing when I have to pause the video and throw my hands up in disbelief when Shuu doesn’t even respond to Inori and flips out like a headless chicken in the opening minute of the episode. And then does it again, and again.

While I’ve been mildly critical in the past, this is the first time I actually felt like a scripting derp hampered my enjoyment of watching the show. I will be sad if that happens again.

• December 19, 2011 at 6:50 amZaku Fan

It is more than just Shu. The story logic itself makes no sense and in some cases are ridiculous.

You have an organization with satellite weapons but you have to depend on a civillian to tell you this kid was seen with the funeral palor. Then you have a woman who is obviously an agent of funeral palor who you have in your custody and you do not bother to find out who she is and allow her to enroll into a school. Later you apprehend said kid and let the female agent go. After that someone takes over and decides to launch missiles at a boat where the funeral palor guys are at. A boat. Where you’re only able to escape using aircraft, submersibles or seacraft. And you decide to launch missiles. After the plan fails there’s no other plan so it time to go home, with guts!

Also your soldiers are so well trained as to charge someone instead of shooting at them. Maybe they saw a girl and wanted to get her phone number. And said soldiers are so organized as to let the main leader of the funeral palor waltz into a functioning base in a high tech world and waltz out again because the fella says he a lawyer and is wearing a wig. Maybe they are too high tech and should put his “wanted” posters on the walls instead. Thats the enemy organization of the series, an organization full of clowns and incompetents who are somehow supposed to be scary.

Then you have the grand “plan” of suckering someone to go to a certain location at a certain time. The plan is shown to be useless because Shu could have pulled that void out anytime he wanted and even if the person was unwilling. The terrorists might have thought that it might be illegal to just kidnap him or something.

Another plan was to put all your eggs in one basket and hope that Shu came back in time with a shielding void. If he twisted his ankle running across rubble, had a guy blocking the window or was delayed by enemies, the backup plan was to die there on the spot. Thats some planning. This is the protaganist’s organization of the series, whose leader is supposed to be smart and cunning. Possibly compared to the GHQ, that would hold true.

• December 19, 2011 at 9:11 amDa5id

I’m calling it now: Guilty Crown is now the Twilight of anime.

• December 19, 2011 at 5:22 amkite

Why do you guys say that GC is almost half of the series? I checked animenewsnetwork and it says that there are only 11 episodes, is this true?

• December 19, 2011 at 5:30 amThe Moondoggie

That’s just the number of episodes that has been aired.

• December 19, 2011 at 5:53 amkite

@ moondoggie

No, I dont think so. Every season,animes that I tend & love to watch, I try to find how many no. of episodes it has in advance, the site displays how many episodes it will have. and almost all the time, it shows correct information.

For example , guilty crown, when I watched after episode 1, I went to ANN to see the no. of episodes it will have and I saw 11 episodes and has never changed until now. Then it contradicts the statement “no. of episodes that has been aired”

Unless you can give me a site/link that GC has 22 episodes in all.It must be reliable .

• December 22, 2011 at 7:25 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

Dude, GC has 20+ episodes for this season and it will air for TWO SEASONS. :D

• December 22, 2011 at 10:26 pmKana

@kite “The producers also fielded questions from audience members. One asked why the show was only 22 episodes, shorter than the typical anime broadcast.

“The reason why it’s shorter is because of Fuji TV’s broadcasting timeslot issues,” Yamamoto said.

The producers didn’t correct the question, so it must 22 episodes. There must be less roundabout ways of finding the info but this is just one example I remember. You could probably find it on the official website lol. Scout around for the number 22 or 二十二.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/convention/2011/new-york-comic-con/22

@The Story You Don’t Know
        I think you might be a bit confused on what they meant by two seasons. GC is 2 cour which is the 22 episodes. Two cours is quite literally two seasons worth of airing and Guilty Crown will be on for both Fall (Right Now) and Winter. They don’t mean it in the same way as american shows.

From the same interview:
        “But we’d like to have a sequel series, a movie, or an OVA. So please support the series.”

This was before the interview you read, but seeing as they didn’t have one planned then, I doubt they have one already planned now. They’re still not sure on how well it will be received after all. If I’m by any chance wrong can you direct me to the information that specifically says there will be a sequel or a continuation after the 22 eps? Otherwise I have a hard time believing it.

• December 23, 2011 at 4:33 amThe Story You Don’t Know

<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2011-11-28/interview-koji-yamamoto-ryo-ohyama-and-george-wada-on-guilty-crown&quot; title="This"

I read it in a translated interview that it was a two season show. Well, it’s either it was poorly translated and is wrong or the other way around. Either way, thanks for making it more clear.

• December 23, 2011 at 4:36 amThe Story You Don’t Know

• December 23, 2011 at 4:35 amThe Story You Don’t Know

lol, typo

• December 19, 2011 at 5:58 amThe Moondoggie

• December 19, 2011 at 6:12 amkite

@moondoggie

Ok, thanks for the info. For a moment there, when I saw episode 10 of GC, I cant help but feel that IG may forced to end the show abruptly(compressing/tying the loose ends in one episode or just end it with a cliffhanger and declare a next season).And I recall ANN that they showed that GC has only 11 episodes, so I believed that it will end next week.

Then I expect that Shu has many episodes to go for his character development & make Arisa & kaichou as part of his harem?

• December 19, 2011 at 7:13 pmJ.J.

they are really inconsistent with inori’s boob size?

o…her character too

• December 19, 2011 at 10:46 pmThe Moondoggie

It might be due to Hiroyuki Yoshino trying to suppress his breast fetish. Remember how he did Seikon no Qwaser and the Mai Otome manga?

• December 22, 2011 at 2:55 pmDa5id

EAGLEMAN NOOOOOOOOO

• December 22, 2011 at 5:30 pmThe Moondoggie

Well since 11 still isn’t here

R.I.P. Walking insult to U.S.A. we will all miss you.

FUCK YEAH SHU! You finally stopped being a wuss for a bit! I though you really don’t have what it takes to follow our dear leader Lelou- er… I mean be yourself by giving up looking like that shit of a leader, Gai.

You have the power! Use your own style! Be your true self!

• December 22, 2011 at 6:31 pmboingman

RIP? That remains to be seen.
    And the way he persuaded his classmates didn’t impress me. So they help him, not because Funeral Parlor is doing the right thing, but because they gave him a reason in life. Yeah, a good reason for his friends to risk their life for. ;)

• December 22, 2011 at 6:47 pmThe Moondoggie

Well there’s a number of named people who got killed this episode. Daryl really did a number on his dad and his dad’s mistress, as he should do.

• December 22, 2011 at 6:53 pmDa5id

And did he even need to bring along glasses girl? Did he even use her void?

Also, let’s look at the reasoning behind why they all went along with his plan

Souta: likes Inori
      Arisa: likes Gai
      Hare: likes Shu…despite her trying to hit on her earlier
      Glasses girl: Likes Yahiro
      Yahiro: …helping because Shu mercy killed his brother?

Plus the fact that the situation ends up worse at the end of the episode than when it started. Shu didn’t do anything of impact!

• December 22, 2011 at 7:02 pmDa5id

Whoops nevermind. I guess glasses girl’s void is a vizor that acts as telescope. Now what does that say about her personality…

• February 9, 2012 at 2:26 amcar will not start

[...]although web sites we backlink to below are considerably not connected to ours, we really feel they are basically worth a go as a result of, so have a look[...]

• February 17, 2012 at 12:59 pmbalanza ohaus

[...]very few websites that come about to become detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly effectively worth checking out[...]

• February 21, 2012 at 1:33 pmSoftware de Gestion

[...]The information and facts mentioned inside the article are a number of the very best offered [...]

• « Older Comments