Naruto 569 – Should’ve Known It’d Be A Shadow Clone »« Naruto 567 – Pinch

Naruto 568 – The Nine-Tails Has A Name

Naruto Manga   568   01

So does the Four-Tails pictured above for that matter. I’m a little thrown off by how the Four-Tails is named after the legendary monkey king “Son Goku” though, simply because the Third Hokage’s summon, Enma, already fits his description. Enma even transformed into the staff that Son Goku carries. Not that I mind or anything of course, as this was merely an observation.

As for the Nine-Tails, it’s kind of nice to have a name to call him by now: Kurama (the tsundere demon fox). While it’s probably a little too predictable for most people’s tastes, I actually like the idea that Naruto will get along with Kurama someday, just like B does with the Eight-Tails. B’s a force to be reckoned with because he can let the Eight-Tails take control of his body and transform into his beast form, so the prospect of seeing Naruto do the same with Kurama is intriguing to say the least — especially if it’s defending Konoha instead of attacking it. Whether or not this happens will depend on Kurama though. If Naruto can bring him around like all the other people he’s come across, there’s a good chance he’ll let Kurama out of his cage so that he can unleash his full power.

For now, it looks like Kurama’s going to stay put and see how things work out between Naruto and Son Goku. If the Four-Tails is freed from his chains, I wonder if that means Tobi loses his chakra altogether — effectively undoing Akatsuki’s sealing technique. However, he wouldn’t have a Jinchuuriki anymore, so would he roam free in his full form? I really don’t see that happening.

December 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm
  • December 27, 2011 at 11:43 pmFaelan

Naruto + full cooperation from Kurama = Win

• December 28, 2011 at 1:19 ampaiser

Sure it would = power
      I wouldn’t think = win, unless…
      He’s trying to get help from all the tail beast… thats more = win

• December 27, 2011 at 11:56 pmDa5id

I guess that explains why One-Tail was named Shukaku.

All and all, pretty good progression so far, though I don’t really like the idea of Naruto beating Tobi by “befriending” all of the Biju. But I guess if we started this story with friendship…

• December 28, 2011 at 2:49 amMonk

It’s more look like fairy tail manga. Nakama power owns everything…

• December 28, 2011 at 11:49 pmLK

Fairy Tail is fairly… well, boring in that sense, it’s way too 2-dimensional, pun intended.

• December 29, 2011 at 12:24 amChloesong

Inb4 Naruto “befriends” Tobi. XD

I actually don’t mind the “collect ‘em all” idea, if it turns out that way. But honestly, it’d be more of a problem if a single ninja ended up as a jinchuurki for more than one biiju since it’d completely disrupt the power balance system. Pretty much as bad as Tobi capturing the tailed beasts.

It’s kind of sad though, I can’t really imagine a good ending for the tailed beasts.
      And lol@tsundere fox demon.

• December 29, 2011 at 1:47 amDa5id

OH GOD, that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it…

Damn it all.

• December 27, 2011 at 11:57 pmRandom

I know that Kishimoto is apparently good friends with Yoshihiro Togashi. Did anyone else see this as an homage to Togashi’s previous work, namely Yu Yu Hakusho?

• December 28, 2011 at 3:44 amSkribulous

Only if Sasuke shows up with a black dragon powered ice demon familiar called Hiei.

• December 29, 2011 at 12:22 amDa5id

We’ve got a monkey named Goku and a Fox named Kurama…I guess 8-tails is Toriko?

• December 29, 2011 at 1:43 ammasso

Of course, Sakura then get her own samurai-summon named Kuwabara with his dimensional swords.

• December 29, 2011 at 1:46 amDa5id

Oh hell yes.

• December 28, 2011 at 10:36 pmYanDaMan263

Kurama means Fox in Japanese…

• December 28, 2011 at 10:40 pmYanDaMan263

Lol my bad, I was thinking Kitsune. Carry on.

• December 28, 2011 at 12:24 amY00N

the dialogue between son goku and naruto was kinda cheesy

• December 28, 2011 at 1:26 ampaiser

No offense, but why?

• December 28, 2011 at 12:35 amryuuzaki

talk-no-jutsu everyone, including the beasts and the problems will be over? i really hate this kind of developments.

• December 28, 2011 at 12:36 amaero

You have successfully caught Nine-tails! Would you like to give it a nickname?
    Kurama: It’s Kurama you ass.

• December 28, 2011 at 12:38 amAsakura

Maybe Naruto would have another tailed beast inside him?

• December 28, 2011 at 5:21 amryuuzaki

intestines?

• December 28, 2011 at 1:27 amsaka

gotta catch them all !!

• December 28, 2011 at 2:52 amIzaak

The names Son Goku and Kurama are stated by the creator to be tributes to characters that bear those names: Son Goku is said to be based off Goku’s monkey form.

• December 28, 2011 at 5:23 amryuuzaki

can you provide the source where kishimoto states that? :)

• December 28, 2011 at 5:57 amBass.EXE

In the second artbook, Kishimoto said he was inspired to create Kurama after reading Yu Yu Hakusho. So it could mean his name is taken from that Kurama, but he never says specifically. As for Son Goku, he is named after the Monkey King from Journey to the West, not Dragon Ball. This isn’t the first time Kishimoto has drawn from Journey either. The Rikudō Sennin no Hōgu (among other things) are pretty much the exact same

• December 28, 2011 at 8:56 pmJared Drake

Maybe. iirc, the 4-tail’s Jinchuuriki was an old man called Roshi. Goku also had a 4 Star dragon ball. One of Kishimoto’s major inspirations was Dragonball.

• December 28, 2011 at 6:14 amronri

So Kurama is his name huh? Now that the Nine-Tails’ name has been revealed, it’ll only be a matter of time until we see his dere side.

• December 28, 2011 at 6:36 amDamrod

Somehow, Kurama does sound a bit weird when it is nine-tailed for this long…

• December 28, 2011 at 6:57 amMasterDragonKnight

Now what I want to see is that the Eight Tails is named Surume, same as the kraken from One Piece.

• December 30, 2011 at 11:45 amSOSAnimeBoy

Love this comment! But I don’t think 8-tails is anywhere near as cute.

• December 28, 2011 at 8:07 amKuramaFTW

Wow…talkin bout MAJOR nostalgia

• December 28, 2011 at 9:22 amcode fan

I do kinda like it how “Son Goku” is being used for this monkey. Like the 8 tails, this one seems to also have some form of reason. Not to mention, unlike DBZ goku, this one may be more smart.

I also agree that Kurama is also to predictable of a name to choose. Commenter Random is right, that name is from Yu Yu Hakusho.

• December 28, 2011 at 10:44 amSuppa Tenko

Not sure if you already know that but Son Goku is actually Sun Wukong who is the monkey king from Journey to the West. He’s the smartest as well as the most powerful member of the group.

• December 28, 2011 at 10:28 amPtolemaios00

Kurama, huh…Kyuubi still sounds more natural or at least Tamamo-no-mae. Next we’ll find out Kyuubi is a girl fox.

• December 28, 2011 at 1:30 pmDamrod

If the kyuubi is indeed a girl fox, that would be most likely one of the biggest laughs you can get with this manga. Getting that fox all flustered or angry with some of his more pervy jutsu ^_^

• December 28, 2011 at 2:54 pmMasterDragonKnight

That would be hilarious on top of its already tsundere moments.

Kurama: *sniff* “P-please let me out of this cage… I promise to be good…” *sniff*

• December 28, 2011 at 10:46 amNeko

was expecting kinda more badass name but well loving the idea they have names. I am curious about Shukaku as his host is the only one alive (from the extracted beasts).
    Naruto lately has been very interesting, loving this arc, even if it drags.

• December 28, 2011 at 1:59 pmBass.EXE

What are you curious about, like where he is right now?

• December 28, 2011 at 3:37 pmNeko

well he is obviously with Madara but as he cant be controlled via host/medium/corpse/whatever jutsu, i thought it would be an interesting come-back. It seems Madara already struggle controlling other bijuus completely so yeah, curious me.

Especially, from my memories, Shukaku is rather a funky tailed-beast lol

• December 28, 2011 at 12:22 pmYoyo

Do you think that if any of the tail beasts are released from its chains will they be sealed again but with a host that understands them as that way they would be at full power then when they are in full form? As it was stated that a tail beasted sealed is stronger then one unsealed as it is unable to think.

• December 28, 2011 at 9:50 pmhuffer

It would be pretty interesting if Naruto actually tries to seal the 4 tails, and eventually the other tailed beasts, in him self as a counter to Madara’s plans. I mean it seems like his Kurama powered form has already been pushed to its limits just fighting the other beasts. Beating Sasuke, let alone either Madara is probably going to require more power.

• December 29, 2011 at 2:08 amASBA1991

I hope the two-tailed beast is called Chen XD

• December 29, 2011 at 3:05 amRelic

What a bada*s name. Those two would make such a cool tandem! I LOVE where Naruto is going with this!!! I wish I could’ve read this like 3 years ago!

• December 29, 2011 at 11:40 amRandom

I hereby rename the 9-tails to the nice-tails!

• December 29, 2011 at 5:38 pmZero

Woah what next is the 6-tails gonna be name Genkai

• December 30, 2011 at 11:48 amSOSAnimeBoy

There’s something I don’t get. Son Goku says humans are stupid because they enslave the tailed beasts and don’t even care to learn their names. What about the tailed beasts themselves? The eight-tails was referring to Kurama as “9-tails” all this while when talking to him. Why wouldn’t a fellow bijuu use their real name?

• January 3, 2012 at 11:39 pmomeganx

UM because the writer just pulled it out his a**?

• December 30, 2011 at 3:08 pmMissingnomer

Kind of weird so far. I mean, why even bother giving Nine-tails a name? I could care less. Let’s just get the part where nine-tails finally helps Naruto. Masashi please hurry this up, I wont be able to finish this manga if I start having a family. :)

• December 31, 2011 at 4:42 pmAlbert

My reasoning for Son Goku knowing the names and the Eight-Tails not is that he’s a more intelligent creature…i.e. monkey. I imagine Shukaku and Kurama know all the names, but the former is too insane to remember and the latter doesn’t care anymore.

• January 1, 2012 at 5:58 pmUH

Really, the reason is because Kishimoto only thought of giving the nine-tails a name recently. Hence why the eight-tails had never referred to Kurama by name before.

It’s manga, going by logic doesn’t always work since the authors usually don’t care for continuity.

• January 3, 2012 at 11:36 pmomeganx

I thought Naruto was hax enough with the fox hating him sheesh

• January 10, 2012 at 3:38 amNyaiah

Or maybe because the nine-tail fox doesn’t like being called by his name? I don’t remember if he mentions it or if I’m just assuming that :)

It’s cute how the fox is feigning sleep