Area no Kishi – 02 »

Area no Kishi – 01

OP Sequence

Area no Kishi   OP   01 Area no Kishi   OP   02 Area no Kishi   OP   03
Area no Kishi   OP   04 Area no Kishi   OP   05 Area no Kishi   OP   06

OP: 「ハイヤーグラウンド」 (Higher Ground) by S.R.S.
Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼

Area no Kishi   01   01 Area no Kishi   01   02 Area no Kishi   01   03
Area no Kishi   01   04 Area no Kishi   01   05 Area no Kishi   01   06
Area no Kishi   01   07 Area no Kishi   01   08 Area no Kishi   01   09
Area no Kishi   01   10 Area no Kishi   01   11 Area no Kishi   01   12
Area no Kishi   01   13 Area no Kishi   01   14 Area no Kishi   01   15
Area no Kishi   01   16 Area no Kishi   01   17 Area no Kishi   01   18
Area no Kishi   01   19 Area no Kishi   01   20 Area no Kishi   01   21
Area no Kishi   01   22 Area no Kishi   01   23 Area no Kishi   01   24
Area no Kishi   01   25 Area no Kishi   01   26 Area no Kishi   01   27
Area no Kishi   01   28 Area no Kishi   01   29 Area no Kishi   01   30
Area no Kishi   01   31 Area no Kishi   01   32 Area no Kishi   01   33
Area no Kishi   01   34 Area no Kishi   01   35 Area no Kishi   01   36

「僕はサッカーが好きです」 (Boku wa Sakkaa ga Suki Desu)
“I Like Soccer”

I’ve been pretty damn happy with my last two sleeper picks, Kamisama Dolls and Chihayafuru. So how does Winter’s candidate fare?

There are an awful lot of reasons to hope Area no Kishi might be something special. The manga is extremely well-regarded, penned by much-honored screenwriter, novelist and mangaka Kibayashi Shin (writing as Igano Hiroaki). The manga is oft-compared to Adachi Mitsuru and, more specifically, to Adachi’s Cross Game. If you know me at all, you know that I consider that hallowed ground indeed. While there’s always the danger of a manga being a pale imitation, in the realm of emotionally-charged sports shounen it’s almost impossible not to be influenced by Adachi-sensei – in much the same way any modern epic fantasy can rightly be said to have elements of Tolkien. In short, Adachi is the mark they all shoot for, with varying success.

At first glance, it’s impossible not to see the ghost of Cross Game in Area no Kishi. It shares the same plain but realistic character designs, the same muted pastel color scheme. The animation is solid and unspectacular, and there are echoes of extremely close childhood bonds torn asunder by the time of adolescence and a traumatic event that shaped the lives of all the main characters. To that point no, I don’t know what the big reveal is here – CG got it out of the way in the first episode but AnK only teased it. Frankly, I’d rather not know – I’m happy to find out when I find out.

What we have for certain is a second-year middle schooler, Aizawa Kakeru (Sanpei Yuuko, always an interesting choice for boy roles) who loves the game of soccer but has stopped playing it despite having once been a superb youth player. His older brother Suguru (Fukuyama Jun) is a legend of the Japanese U-15 squad and the star of the middle school team, for which Kakeru is now a manager. Suguru is clearly seething about his otouto’s refusal to play, and considers him a quitter for doing so. As to the reasons for Kakeru’s decision we see only hints – he’s unable to use his left leg while playing, he has flashbacks of a traumatic event on the field. Kakeru’s only on-field action is practicing by himself in a park at night. It’s during one of these sessions that a mysterious “alien” in a mask shows up, and flashes some mad skills. Might this be Mishima Nana (Itou Shizuka) – the childhood friend of Kakeru, a soccer buddy he called “Seven” who moved away to America when they were in fifth grade?

Yes, that could easily be an Adachi premise – there’s no doubting it. But I sense some real potential in this love-hate relationship between brothers. Kakeru clearly idolizes his brother, but also resents his good fortune, while Suguru appears to view Kakeru only with contempt but constantly tries to push him into what he sees as the right path. It seems pretty likely that Nana is going to be a point of contention between them as well – Kakeru certainly sees more than cleats and shin guards when he looks at her now, and I get the feeling that Suguru might be the sort of boy to take something his brother wants merely because he can. As I said, there’s some serious dramatic potential there.

On the whole I thought the first episode did a very nice job of setting the scene. It was nicely paced, and hinted at the complexity of the fraternal relationship well. Of Nana we don’t have as clear a picture, but she made a good first impression and I think it’s a fair bet that romance is going to play a major role in the story sooner or later. My sense is that this is a sports shounen that’s going to be about the people more than the sport, and I see the potential of a very deep and slow-developing character study. The manga is already on 27 volumes or so, but at this point we have no idea about the anime. Will it get 50 episodes to tell its story as Cross Game did? Area no Kishi, like that masterpiece, really seems like a story that will unwind slowly, and need lots of time to craft its magic. I had high expectations going into the premiere and they were largely met – I’m not expecting a rival to Cross Game here, but if the series is half as good as that one it’ll be twice as good as most anime.

Area no Kishi   01   Preview 01 Area no Kishi   01   Preview 02 Area no Kishi   01   Preview 03
January 7, 2012 at 1:48 am
  • January 7, 2012 at 2:01 amsouthwind92

im no fan of sport genre anime but for a first episode it does seem to be quite a good show to watch this season. keep up the good work

• January 7, 2012 at 2:22 amzani

Great post! I don’t read manga (so I also didn’t realize it was the person who penned Cross Game). I loved the first episode but then again I’m a fan of sports anime. On a side note, this was a lot of better than POT II which had a really crazy plot off the bat. Anyway back to my point, Area no Kishi has a lot of depth like Chihayafuru. There are similarities I see where the main characters compared themselves to their popular and more loved sibling. But the difference is that Suguru actually thinks about his brother. Despite his rough method (Show Spoiler ▼

), I was touched with how he didn’t want Kakeru to lie to himself. He didn’t want his brother to put himself down and give up without trying. I personally I like this show more than Cross Game, seeing how it might go. I hope this anime will become one of winter’s gem :)

• January 7, 2012 at 5:20 amMike

Um, it’s NOT by the same author as Cross Game, it’s just being compared to it. Area no Kishi is by Kibayashi Shin, while Cross Game is by Adachi Mitsuru

• January 7, 2012 at 6:41 amzani

Like I said I don’t read manga so I’m not familiar with the authors. Thanks for correcting my mistake though.

• January 7, 2012 at 6:54 amAndré

But you should be able to tell that Area no Kishi has nothing to do with Adachi Mitsuru’s works. The art style and the way how the story is told is completely different. Mangas/animes from the same authors usually have pretty clear similarities.

• January 7, 2012 at 7:27 amzani

I did notice that, which is why I surprised at first since I mistakenly thought the author was the same. Then when Mike corrected me so it made sense. Ok I shall stop with this post. I don’t want to create a spam here….

• January 7, 2012 at 2:31 amArabesque

Curse you Enzo, some of us don’t have that much time to watch anime as before (especially with a large backlog and several other long runners on the plate) and then you go ahead and write a post making this show look like the second coming of Cross Game. Now what the hell am I suppose to do?

You evil, evil man.

This could be due to my knowledge of sports manga and common developments with this sort of story line (or maybe it was fairly obvious going by the opening and Kakeru fantasies) but I think I had figured out what that reveal is going to be. It’ll be interesting to see how long do they intended to prolong it for (hopefully to develop the cast more so we can get a stronger sense of loss).

• January 7, 2012 at 3:56 amRei

^ Don’t think any of you are right about the reveal ;)

• January 7, 2012 at 4:28 amDivine

So goooood. Where’s my cute childhood friend? (whom I think was Grey)

“Now taking applicants for the cute childhood friend position at Random Curiosity.”

• January 7, 2012 at 4:37 amecho

I have read the manga and the first episode looks very promising. Too bad I am not a fan of sports anime so I will be dropping it around certain event.

• January 7, 2012 at 4:42 amryuuzaki

boys in-anime-dreams:
    cute childhood friend
    godlike abilities
    good circle of friends
    and never ending finance

• January 7, 2012 at 5:15 amSerapita

Finally it’s here! I hope this is going to be a 50 episode series as well. There are so much story about it and it would be a shame to cram it in 26 episodes. Unless they plan to do multiple seasons.

• January 7, 2012 at 5:16 amDdadain

Dear God…

I know what’s going to happen next…

• January 7, 2012 at 5:28 amMike

I’ve started on the manga awhile back, and while I’ve yet to gone through the whole thing, I have to say that AnK has none of the subtleties of Adachi’s work. While Adachi’s use of “show, don’t tell” is about as good as it gets in mangas, Ank is much more like others mangas in that it’s all about tell, tell, and more tells :P

• January 7, 2012 at 9:06 amAndré

I agree. Area no Kishi has nothing to do with Adachi’s series. I’ve read some of the manga of it and I decided to drop it because it was too cliche and too plain. It doesn’t have half of the creativity of Touch, Cross Game, Katsu, etc. Really, it’s a pretty average manga overall. It’s just another sports shounen manga.

Adachi’s manga = Classics
      Area no Kishi = avarage sports shounen thing

• January 7, 2012 at 5:37 amDokupe

It’s the usual tropes of a shonen anime. Well, I’ll continue watching it.

• January 7, 2012 at 8:08 amBass.EXE

Well, it doesn’t seem to be as cliche as Whistle!, another football manga.

• January 7, 2012 at 6:50 amAndré

It’s how funny the Japanese think that all Brazilians are black… LOL.

• January 7, 2012 at 8:05 amleokiko

hahaha yea. I was laughing so much at the beggining. At least they don’t think we Brazilians are monkeys anymore. So narrow-minded, aren’t they?

LOL.

• January 7, 2012 at 7:43 amSetto

omg, the manga i read 2 years ago got anime :D
    trust me this manga for sport anime fans ^^

• January 7, 2012 at 8:04 amleokiko

Wow. This is EXACTLY LIKE TOUCH.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

I was expecting him to call her Minami-chan there, seriously.

Anyway, nice first chapter and thanks for the review Enzo.

• January 7, 2012 at 8:09 amYuumei

I wasn’t expecting much from this anime because I just watched it on CR on a whim, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I couldn’t stop thinking about Cross Game when I was watching this either, which is too bad because I think I liked Cross Game so much since what happened in the first episode was so unexpected to me, but now I’m expecting things from Area no Kishi… >.<

• January 7, 2012 at 8:10 amJep0ng

totally love it, especially Nana/Seven

• January 7, 2012 at 9:25 amkoizumi

I love this show, because shizuka ito is doing the same voice she did for Lenalee Lee in D.Gray Man. Not the best reason, but every man has his fix.

• January 7, 2012 at 9:46 amLuxor

Stocking up on tissues-this could be a tear jerker. ^_^

• January 7, 2012 at 10:45 amarcanes

GRRRRRRR!!! I’m reading the manga (scanlated) and there are only 11 volumes out!!!! damn it release some moreeeee.
    I was hooked by the manga from the start hope the anime does the manga justice (haven’t seen it yet).
    Wait for the big plot “twist”, it’s awesome.

• January 7, 2012 at 11:16 amAngelBolt

Oh, man, they’re gonna pull a Show Spoiler ▼

Well, it’s how you use the plot to make story, after all…

• January 7, 2012 at 1:03 pmrochichan

Wow. Not really a big fan of sports anime, but since I know what’s coming… I really want to stick with this series now~ lol

• January 7, 2012 at 1:04 pmmaddoki

Yay, I’ll look forward to see the other episode. I just finished watching a Cross Game marathon and I was trying to find something alike. Awesome timing :)

• January 7, 2012 at 3:06 pmDendoh_fanboy

I’m not going to lie. I’m really not a fan of the “realistic sports” genre in anime and manga. That’s why I love Captain Tsubasa and Inazuma Eleven so much.

• January 7, 2012 at 3:28 pmPandorakun

Ahaha, this thing’s manga is amazing. I hope they adapt it well – and adapt enough for that matter. Is it one or two-cour anyhow (or more)?

• January 7, 2012 at 4:29 pmRockmanshii

That first episode rocked, it got me hooked, now I’ll be looking forward to it every week. Sure it’s predictable, sure it follows usual tropes of sports anime, but done right that’s what I LOOOOOOVE. Else I wouldn’t be watching Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream.
    I especially liked how Suguru cares for his brother, yeah I think he really does. he knew he wasn’t honest with himself. It would’ve been even better if he punched/Brightslapped him for being a wuss.
    Haven’t watched Croos Game yet so I’m free of all the comparison shackles I guess…

• January 7, 2012 at 7:27 pmGambler

Loved Cross Game so I’m gonna give this a shot. BUT, once the players start flopping, I’m off the boat.

• January 7, 2012 at 7:53 pmSomeone dies in this

not a sports anime fan. Read the manga, but didn’t like it.

• January 8, 2012 at 11:03 amjames

so I’m watching this as I type, and I gotta say, as a guy who played soccer for 3 years in HS and played in clubs for most of my life, this anime begins VERY cheesy haha

• January 8, 2012 at 11:21 amjames

So far the character development is actually pretty good, but I had to crack up when the manly older brother opened up a freaking diary as the soothing piano started playing.

• January 13, 2012 at 6:12 pmAnonymous

Yeah, because recording your thoughts to clarify them for yourself now and to help remember who you once were later in life is being a total pansy, right?

Is this what we’ve come to, really? A man can’t even keep a fucking DIARY without his masculinity being called into question?

• January 15, 2012 at 4:54 pmjames

man, calm the fuck down.

I watch anime for christ sake, I’m not super masculine either. It’s the timing that made it hilarious. It quickly cut from him yelling to him writing calmly into a diary to smooth piano music. That to me is comedy gold lololol

• January 8, 2012 at 6:34 pmSsmash

Anyone seeing the direct similarity between AnK and Touch? Identity setting, but switch baseball with soccer.. Umm I wonder. I consider Touch to be one of the greatest manga/ anime of the sport genre. This will be good, I can feel it!

• January 8, 2012 at 10:37 pmQX1102

Im not really fan of sport but its seem pretty good for ep 1 lets see can they keep this up for the next few ep

• January 9, 2012 at 10:10 pmTrombe

Too many cliches for just 30 minutes, even so it wasn’t boring.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:49 amdivinelight

for some reason, as my first place for expectation, Area no Kishi doesn’t really catch my expectation well.

I really hope next episodes will be as good as the manga itself.

• January 13, 2012 at 5:23 pmEbisu

A really good opening I think, though a lot of players are left out. It will be enjoyable to see the plays of the manga in movement.

• January 15, 2012 at 3:19 pmjames