Black Rock Shooter – 02 »« Black Rock Shooter – OVA

Black Rock Shooter – 01

OP Sequence

Black Rock Shooter   OP   01 Black Rock Shooter   OP   02 Black Rock Shooter   OP   03
Black Rock Shooter   OP   04 Black Rock Shooter   OP   05 Black Rock Shooter   OP   06
Black Rock Shooter   OP   07 Black Rock Shooter   OP   08 Black Rock Shooter   OP   09

OP: 「ブラック★ロックシューダー」 (Black★Rock Shooter) by supercell feat. 初音ミク (Hatsune Miku)
Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼

Black Rock Shooter   01   01 Black Rock Shooter   01   02 Black Rock Shooter   01   03
Black Rock Shooter   01   04 Black Rock Shooter   01   05 Black Rock Shooter   01   06
Black Rock Shooter   01   07 Black Rock Shooter   01   08 Black Rock Shooter   01   09
Black Rock Shooter   01   10 Black Rock Shooter   01   11 Black Rock Shooter   01   12
Black Rock Shooter   01   13 Black Rock Shooter   01   14 Black Rock Shooter   01   15
Black Rock Shooter   01   16 Black Rock Shooter   01   17 Black Rock Shooter   01   18
Black Rock Shooter   01   19 Black Rock Shooter   01   20 Black Rock Shooter   01   21
Black Rock Shooter   01   22 Black Rock Shooter   01   23 Black Rock Shooter   01   24
Black Rock Shooter   01   25 Black Rock Shooter   01   26 Black Rock Shooter   01   27
Black Rock Shooter   01   28 Black Rock Shooter   01   29 Black Rock Shooter   01   30
Black Rock Shooter   01   31 Black Rock Shooter   01   32 Black Rock Shooter   01   33
Black Rock Shooter   01   34 Black Rock Shooter   01   35 Black Rock Shooter   01   36
Black Rock Shooter   01   37 Black Rock Shooter   01   38 Black Rock Shooter   01   39
Black Rock Shooter   01   40 Black Rock Shooter   01   41 Black Rock Shooter   01   42

「あとどれだけ叫べばいいのだろう」 (Ato Doredake Sakebeba Ii no Darou)
“I Wonder How Much Longer I Have To Scream For”

The Black Rock Shooter anime is finally here and the most notable difference from its 2010 OVA counterpart is that our heroine “BRS” — alter ego of Kuroi Mato (Hanazawa Kana) — gets subjected to a lot of gruesome beatings and takes them all without so much as a whimper. It’s almost as if the producers are trying to appeal to sadists who’ve fantasized about roughing up BRS and breaking down her stoic and resilient image. As such, the anime they’ve produced can range anywhere from sadistically alluring or downright unpleasant to watch depending on who you ask.

At the moment, I fall somewhere closer to the “sadistically alluring” end of the spectrum, as the screenplay and choreography of the action sequences are a pure treat — one of the main reasons I was looking forward to this anime — and the punishment that BRS endures helps accentuate the intensity of the battles. What’s more, it packs a lot of punch to see BRS chained down by Deadmaster — alter ego of Takanashi Yomi (Sawashiro Miyuki) — and then get absolutely impaled by newcomer Chariot — alter ego of the extremely creepy Izuriha Kagari (Kitamura Eri). We then see BRS scream out in anguish but not make a single sound, adding to the overall effect. The flip side of course is that it’s excessively violent to young girls, which if Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has taught us anything, can actually make things more difficult to watch. (Unless of course, you’re a sadist.)

Story-wise, it turns out the TV series is a retelling of the OVA rather than a sequel. This time around, BRS and Deadmaster’s fight in the other world is not because Yomi is jealous of Koutari Yuu (Asumi Kana), but because of the aforementioned creepy newcomer Kagari, who’s very controlling of Yomi and won’t allow her to have any other friends. Much like the gory fight sequences, the change-up is much more disturbing — so much so that I found Kagari’s polite yet clearly disdainful attitude toward Mato scarier than anything I’ve seen in Another so far. Kagari giving Mato all the “dirty-colored” macarons was more than enough to sense the hostility in the air, but giving her a relatively ugly-looking doll to play house with and repeatedly telling her to “get lost” took it to a whole other level. The sight of Mato trembling and the sound of the soft yet deafening music sent chills down my spine, and at the same time, impressed me with how dark and twisted of a series we have here. The “Kotori Tori Iroiro no Iro” book that both Mato and Yomi like augments the creepiness to a certain degree too, because we hear Mato reading some lines from it when BRS is getting brutally mutilated.

To offset all that, we only have school counselor Irino Saya’s (Noto Mamiko) words of encouragement, which seem to suggest that BRS’ battles in the other world are a representation of the pain that Mato feels in her heart. From the sound of things, if BRS doesn’t give up, then Mato won’t fall into depression. Where things go from here should be interesting, since Yuu’s alter ego Strength and Kohata Arata’s (Numakura Manami) — edit: or Saya’s — alter ego Black Gold Saw are slated to join the fray. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like either of them will be siding with BRS — not if the opening sequence is any indication. In any case, this was a great start to the series, which befitting has the supercell song that started it all as its opening theme (used as an ending here).

* Full-length images: 03, 16.

Black Rock Shooter   01   Preview 01 Black Rock Shooter   01   Preview 02 Black Rock Shooter   01   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

February 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm
  • February 2, 2012 at 8:36 pmMissingnomer

Yes, this is good. I feel like it is time to dust off my paint-ball gun and try some of dat.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:45 pmleo

sure was not expecting black to get so beated up…and kagari…kitamura eri with sadist voice creps the hell out of me to think she is also doing my favorite nise character, karen and miu in papakiki ughh still a good start althou i was expecting more action…i could forget that with the OP thou

• February 3, 2012 at 5:02 pmskylion

Yeah, we do tend to forget how much range Kitamura has. Especially since Hanakawa become such a sensation the past (and this year). Eri is giving this a delicious creep factor.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:46 pmoliviaven

I am seriously glad that they decided not to show blood and gore
    in this series. Some of the scenes were gut wrenching to watch though…

That Izuriha girl is seriously creeping me out….. I really
    hope that good smile wont make a chariot figure so I won’t need to buy
    it to complete the set…..

• February 3, 2012 at 11:35 pmiron2000

I think they will and in addition BRS, DM, BGS and Strength will have new figmas based on their tv anime design.

Thats what I think.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:50 pmBass.EXE

This girl Kagari…I see her for literally ten seconds and I want to punch her in the face.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:14 pmD-LaN

Sayaka returns from the grave to become a bgger d@#k.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:27 pmThe Moondoggie

Oi, oi! Don’t be hard on Sayaka: She got NTR’ed and was killed by the way of Yuri Fandom Shipping.

Well, at least here she’s in something blatantly yuri.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:53 pmThe Moondoggie

Wow. Just wow. While the OVA is a heartwarming action, I can equate BRS 2012 to something like a moefied version of any gory shounen action anime.

And they beat up BRS just because the other girls want her for themselves? Yandere/Yuri much?

• February 2, 2012 at 8:55 pmThe Moondoggie

Sorry, it should have been *YANDERE-YURI-LOVE-POLYGON…

Herp derp…~*

• February 2, 2012 at 8:56 pmFencedude

Still not feeling the new designs or the CG battles, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I didn’t find Rock’s thrashing to be particularly “disturbing” because it never really seemed to injure her much, even when Wheels was grinding her wheel-feet right into Rock’s torso.

• February 3, 2012 at 6:33 pmJustinnnnnn

Very interesting series…

Total agree with Fencedude there on the CG stuff–I’ll have to see more of it to be convinced. Call me old-fashioned, but I still see 2D frame-by-frame battles a lot more fun to watch, partly because of all the hard work you see the studio put into those sequences. It’s not like CG is easy stuff, but it usually looks a bit clumsy.

Will definetly keep an eye out for these series. Loves the episode’s pace and violence, it almost felt like a short movie. Hate it when they delay stuff: they could have perfectly ended the episode with Mato’s shocked state, but they decided to keep things moving and have her ‘man up’ and move the relationship forward.

+10 Points for this show!

• February 3, 2012 at 11:38 pmiron2000

To me the thrashing is just violence.
      BRS handles it with a poker face and no wounds.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:57 pmricz

It feels like the anime end already

Well that aside…so far I love it .. though I prefer the quality of the OVA…well the char design is not bad

• February 2, 2012 at 8:58 pmc2710

I cant help it but to take an instant dislike to kagari after seeing her for few seconds but at the same time, there’s this inexplicable pity for her.

Adding to that, i thought this series was independent of the ova. Didnt know it was a retelling plus i didnt spot black gold saw’s reality ego. Thx for picking it out

• February 2, 2012 at 8:59 pmsuff

Is it me, or Kotari and Kagari have the same eye colour?

Also, what are those red eyes? No one so far has showed up with red eyes…

• February 2, 2012 at 9:01 pmsuff

Also, why are there 5 people here:

Is there going to be a 5th character beside Mato, Yomi, Kotari, and Kagari?

• February 2, 2012 at 9:05 pmricz

It’s always unknown who is the “other thingy” of that red one(black gold saw)
        So… who knows

• February 2, 2012 at 9:09 pmFencedude

You could try watching the show and finding out.

Also, Black Gold Saw is one of the earliest characters huke made for the universe, in fact I believe she was the third, after Black Rock Shooter and Dead Master. She also appeared at the beginning of the OVA, fighting Rock, and is the one who (in that at least) gave Rock her scars.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:06 pmricz

Derp what am I saying >.>
      Ignore that post and I’m gonna go to sleep now

• February 2, 2012 at 9:28 pmDivine

I already answered that question in my post.

Edit: It could be Saya based on the discussion below.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:45 pmsuff

Oh I see. I somehow thought Yuu and Arata were the same person… what the hell…

• February 3, 2012 at 11:26 pmD-LaN

Black Gold Saw has red eyes if i not wrong. It could be her. Plus she has FINAL BOSS feel..

• February 2, 2012 at 9:30 pmDa5id

SUPERCELL

SUPERCELL EVERYWHERE.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:31 pmDa5id

Seriously, they’re in a bunch of shows recently. Pretty cool, but still sort of surprising, considering how seldom known they used to be.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:54 pmritsuka

Seldom known? I thought they were pretty well known even before. Aren’t they one of the main reasons that GC was hyped up so much?

But yeah glad that they’re making even more appearances in anime now. And yeah as Fencedude said, out of any show BRS having them makes the most sense.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:09 pmDa5id

Were they? I don’t remember hearing much about them before the Cencoroll OVA came out. Speaking of which, did you hear they’re making a movie for that? HELL YES.

Also I think this is the first time a Vocaloid has done an anime op! Or did this happen before?

And yeah, half of GC’s initial appeal is Supercell, the other half being redjuice’s character designs.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:09 pmSpinarakk

Bunch of shows? Their songs are only in Guilty Crown and this. Hardly what I would call a bunch. (I’m not counting the songs that ryo wrote for other animes as they were performed by other people)

• February 2, 2012 at 10:10 pmFencedude

You know, this isn’t unusual for you, but its truly astonishing how frequently you have no idea what you are talking about.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:14 pmDa5id

…was that at me or Spinarakk?

• February 2, 2012 at 10:14 pmFencedude

Edit: That was aimed at Da5id, of course.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:17 pmDa5id

Well, this is just from what I’ve seen and heard about them. I don’t claim to know anything.

Wait…when else have I not had any idea what I’m talking about?

• February 2, 2012 at 10:58 pmritsuka

well redjuice is part of supercell so I count him in the package.

I guess it spends on if your referring to only ryo as supercell or the whole lot. Edit to my previous comment just in some though I had it mistaken: I’m glad -ryo- is getting more work in anime these days, but then I’m also glad for redjuice(GC) and huke(BRS). Oh and nagi (Ano Natsu)

• February 2, 2012 at 10:59 pmritsuka

even if nagi was only guest T_T WHHYY?!

• February 2, 2012 at 9:49 pmFencedude

Considering that this show only exists because of a Supercell song, I think that their presence is fairly reasonable.

• February 3, 2012 at 12:10 amThe Moondoggie

YURI! YURI EVERYWHERE!(try denying that…)

SO this season’s main themes are SUPERCELL music and YURI.

• February 3, 2012 at 12:17 amDa5id

Actually there’s probably more Yuri in recent anime than instances of supercell.

• February 3, 2012 at 4:02 amNemuri

supercell’s trying to take-over the monopoly of anime music…:]

• February 5, 2012 at 3:24 amraine

But there’s no supercell in Nisemonogatari considering they are in Bakemonogatari. Not everywhere enough. D:

• February 5, 2012 at 3:27 amFencedude

Ryo composed the ending theme, though it is performed by ClariS, not supercell.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:35 pmShimapan

finally

• February 2, 2012 at 9:45 pmRyouichi

When Mato started getting bullied, the pitytrain really hit me hard.

And I must agree with my bro Fencedude that I preferred the old designs for both egos.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:49 pmLuxor

Mmmmm cute+action…

• February 2, 2012 at 9:50 pmFencedude

Hey Divine, do you have sauce on Black Gold Saw being Arata’s alter-ego?

• February 2, 2012 at 10:05 pmDivine

It’s just by process of elimination based on the official website, as I mentioned back in the Winter 2012 Preview.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:09 pmFencedude

Ah. Personally I’m pulling for it being Saya, since Saw has “Final Boss” written all over her, and I don’t see how in the world Arata could get involved. Unless of course that “Him” she was discussing isn’t a “he” after all.

Neither of them really look like Saw though, and so far all the alter-egos have at least passing resemblances.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:23 pmDivine

Yeah, Arata’s thick eyebrows don’t really match Black Gold Saw’s, but it’s worth noting that Saya’s still not listed as a character on the official site (while Arata and BGS are). I was kind of surprised to see her in this first episode, being voiced by Noto Mamiko and all.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:28 pmFencedude

Perhaps Saw doesn’t even have an Alter Ego? She seems from her “appearance” this episode to be some sort of…controlling force, perhaps, of that world.

I would not be surprised if by the end, Rock, Dead, Wheels and Strength have to team up to defeat her.

• February 3, 2012 at 5:17 amSilver

She is the forth character on the character list now, maybe they have just updated after airing the show?

Anyways, my bet is on Saya being BGS too. Those red eyes watching over at BRS being tortured by all her lovely friends is nicely fitted with how she is the counselor who has her standpoint above other characters in the show
        …and she knows Mato’s problem.

I can feel that last boss wipe from her too, while Kagari looks like just a middle boss.

and it might be weird but the fact that she has a mole makes me think she must be an important character. (*laugh*)

• February 3, 2012 at 1:50 pmDivine

Hmm, I’m fairly sure she wasn’t there yesterday (and definitely not when I wrote the season preview or else I would’ve mentioned her), but given the current ordering, I’d say it’s possible that Saya’s BGS. Post has been edited to take into consideration the possibility.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:52 pmkoizumi

Is anyone reminded of Madoka from this?
    First Zenki, now this, Madoka really was an Evangelion moment.

• February 2, 2012 at 9:57 pmβίος

why yami alter ego (deadmaster) wear glasess? doesnt it destroy huke original design?

• February 3, 2012 at 11:22 amMasterDragonKnight

I’m fine with the glasses, but what really sticks out is the veil.

Dead Master wears all black and has black hair, but she is wearing a white veil. That just does not match.

• February 3, 2012 at 6:12 pmMoeronic

Agree completely. This shot could have been really intimidating, but to me it somehow reminded me of a mean librarian telling you to quiet down. Yomi also appears a lot more moe and chubby, which I don’t think was the original intent of huke’s design.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:05 pmAlcren

wow i had actually forgotten that this was going to start in february instead of january. imma check it out when i have time

• February 2, 2012 at 10:15 pmxephx

I thought the counselor was Black Gold Saw. Anyway I really liked this episode.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:29 pmFencedude

Thats my theory, she’s more likely than Arata at least.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:03 pmsuff

They both have red(dish) eyes… so…

• February 3, 2012 at 1:26 pmAex

Even if she isn’t, was anyone else kinda creeped out by the “encouragement” she gave Mato?

“People will definitely betray you in life and make it feel like your heart is bleeding, but don’t worry because it isn’t really YOUR heart that’s bleeding!” That’s either some crazy foreshadowing or I just missed how it was supposed to be helpful >.<

• February 3, 2012 at 11:36 pmD-LaN

Tht counsellor teacher reminds me of the evil teacher in Yumekui Merry…. If she the final boss I am so gonna faint.

• February 2, 2012 at 10:40 pmleo

still impressive…never thought i would hear miku as a OP for a anime…i’m so happy i could cry

• February 2, 2012 at 11:04 pmRyouichi

It was one of the few decent Miku songs I’ve heard. Most, if not nearly all, sound far too artificial for my taste.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:32 pmritsuka

You probably haven’t heard enough Miku then. It may just be my opinion but I think the vocaloid fandom is simply so expansive that while theres heaps of bad songs there plenty of good ones as well. That’s part of the fun. And with music, everything varies depending on how the composer uses it Miku. She never sounds completely the same even more so when you count in her append versions. Some she could be a squeaky jarring artificial mess and in others she just simply isn’t. Of course all will end up sounding a bit artificial in some way but artificial doesn’t necessarily mean bad. (:

• February 2, 2012 at 11:11 pmbaltar

So I watched the OVA for this a couple weeks ago to get prepared, and I feel like something’s missing. I don’t recall them explaining or providing any bridge between the school friendship and the badass reality marble action parts. I got that she was fighting with her friend because her friend felt let down and sad that they weren’t hanging out more, but why were they fighting as superheroes? Is there any explanation why these girls have these super powers/ability to go into reality marbles or whatever?

• February 2, 2012 at 11:25 pmFencedude

No, the OVA did not explain it at all. In the OVA all the action scenes scattered through the runtime are “flashes forward” to after the point where Mato meets Rock and…uhh…Makes a contract, I guess.

The Other World is at least partially metaphorical, but Yomi DID vanish off the face of the planet, and Mato DID journey through a mysterious world to bring her back. How and why is left unanswered.

Hopefully the TV series will be a bit clearer on this point.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:30 pmbaltar

Good. When I had finished the OVA, I felt like they had taken the first third and the final third of a story and shuffled it all together, and left out the middle third that explains why/how the established characters are doing what they are doing. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who was confused. Hopefully the TV show helps out with that. Since the premise could certainly be cool.

• February 2, 2012 at 11:36 pmKinny Riddle

The pacing for this first episode was the exact opposite of the pacing for the OVA, it’s as though they’re assuming we already all seen the OVA (which most of us indeed have) and decided to skip all that introductions and straight into this “reboot” story. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling a bit disoriented.

For me, the jury’s still out, I’ll still be applying the 2-3 episode rule before I decide how Okada Mari is going to weave the story between Mato and her BRS alter-ego worlds. But supercell’s Miku song that started it all being featured means this could yet improve.

BTW, is BRS made of tougher materials than Skynet’s Terminators or what? After getting rolled over by giant wheels and impaled endlessly by massive spikes, she hardly even bears a scratch.

• February 3, 2012 at 4:41 pmleo

try playing the game…she’s suffering even more there…black’s past and future were all fucked up…she’s a hell of a complex character

• February 2, 2012 at 11:37 pmritsuka

Just watched it. It does seem to be a retelling of the OVA, interesting addition of Kagari.

With the OVA, Mato did meet BRS near the end which makes me wonder, will the worlds intertwine at any point or will it always be the juxtaposition between slice of life kind of drama and the fighting scenes.

I don’t mind them using BRS, Dead Master etc as symbolism for now but I kind of wish the worlds actually have some sort of interaction at some point.

• February 3, 2012 at 1:17 pmAex

If they make BRS’s world pure symbolism instead of a connected world, I’ll be pissed. I’ve wanted to know forever how Dead Master kidnapped Yomi in the OVA or wtf actually happened there that made Yomi physically disappear. Really hope they don’t just axe the connection and make it two never-meeting worlds that run parallel for an unexplained reason.

• February 3, 2012 at 1:47 amronri

Chariot is already becoming a favorite of mine (even from the early designs).
    Gotta say I love Kagari, she adds an extra WTF-creepy-factor that seems rather appropriate for this kinda series.

• February 3, 2012 at 1:48 amsuff

By the way, maybe it’s just me, but BRS’s black hood, glowing eyes, and the gun reminded me of this:

• February 3, 2012 at 2:40 amNovice

Hatsune Miku for OP… wow

• February 5, 2012 at 6:51 pmStranger

A Hatsune Miku song is what spawned BRS in the first place.

• February 3, 2012 at 3:21 amkurochan

I hope they will toned down the yuri element because that’s the only reason I don’t really like the ova…

• February 3, 2012 at 3:31 amFencedude

If you don’t like yuri, don’t watch Black Rock Shooter.

Every single incarnation of the franchise has been spectacularly gay.

• February 3, 2012 at 6:19 pmMoeronic

I… don’t think that’s right.

The only incarnations of BRS I know about are the drawing, Vocaloid music video, the ova, and the game. I don’t remember any kind of yuri undertones from these (haven’t played the game, but that was about some kind of alien invasion so I doubt there was yuri in that.)

I guess you could argue for yuri in the ova, but I saw it more as friendship. In this anime, it’s pretty obvious that the two are in to each other.

• February 4, 2012 at 1:59 amclosetdyke

• February 3, 2012 at 4:13 amFranfran

The possibility that they would tone down the yuri is that had me afraid to watch this

• February 3, 2012 at 5:19 amkurochan

I love BRS that’s why I’m watching this. And the only part with yuri is the human world, The BRS world part is full of awesomeness and action. And as the tittle suggest I’m wathing this because of BRS, I could care less about their “human counterpart”.

• February 3, 2012 at 4:13 pmxephx

Actually from this episode it seems they enhanced it. In the OVA it was possible to just think them as friends. But with Mato’s blush and Yomi staring at Mato and whispering “beautiful” it seems they want to leave the subtext and turn them to overtones instead.

• February 5, 2012 at 5:51 amSummer Mist

I think it’s revolves more on the importance of friendship than a yuri element though…

• February 5, 2012 at 8:48 pmamado

that would be true for the OVA. for the anime… not so much.

“…Beautiful” – Yomi when she sees Mato jogging.

• February 3, 2012 at 3:46 amActar

Hm… So the BRS world is nothing more than a visualization/personification of the emotions and relationships of the characters? While an interesting concept, it seems to be kind of, er, how do I put this… a let down? Is there nothing more to this other world than to give the audience a exaggerated explanation of the happenings in the real one? Great visuals is not all there is to a good fight scene and the lack of investment that I had with the BRS world’s characters just didn’t make the fight as thrilling for me as I would have liked.

Also, kind of sucky that they didn’t continue the OVA and opted to re-do everything. Though this kind of makes me less sad about not getting the previous school uniformed BRS figmas.

• February 3, 2012 at 5:14 amkurochan

Yeah, I hope BRS is more then some personification of the emotions.

• February 3, 2012 at 1:13 pmFencedude

Read my post above concerning the OVA.

The short version is “we don’t know, but in the OVA it was definitely more than just a metaphor”.

Its far too early to say either way.

• February 3, 2012 at 11:45 pmiron2000

Perhaps they will release a whole new line of figmas following the tv anime designs?
      So there will be another BRS, uniform Mato and Yomi, etc.

• February 3, 2012 at 3:56 amNemuri

The Alternate world is awesome….but… seems like Mato-chan will experience various types of torture in the series…:]

• February 3, 2012 at 4:26 amfragb85

It seems this show has taken the OVA’s queue of weird fight scenes and yuri high school. With more episodes on its belt they will probably make all this clearer. The OVA aleays had my head scratching.

The loli violence made me cringe though. Its a good thing it all happens in stylish, trippy backgrounds so it makes it bearable to watch. Its good that they aren’t wasting the budget on the fights

• February 3, 2012 at 8:59 amAex

Yeah, the OVA always felt like more of a set-up for something bigger, especially with that ending. Now hopefully we’ll get some real answers.

• February 3, 2012 at 5:31 amAnon

Do you think that the poem recited by Mato at the beginning of the episode represents the characters of BRS? The number of poem’s lines matches the number of characters with alter-ego. It also mentioned “tiny bird/kotori”, which is the alternative spelling of Yomi’s family name (Takanashi).

• February 3, 2012 at 11:49 pmiron2000

Kagari is the hawk that spoils the little bird’s fun?

I wonder who wrote that “Kotori Tori Iroiro no Iro” book.

• February 3, 2012 at 7:34 amDude

So BRS fighting the others is just a psychological/emotional metaphor?

Damn. I thought there would be more meaning to that.

• February 3, 2012 at 9:04 amAex

We really don’t know that for sure yet… It seemed a lot more than that in the OVA, more like a connected world where “beings” that fed off human emotions lived and kidnapped people, and I get the same vibe here. Just have to wait for BRS and Mato to meet and see what’s what.

• February 3, 2012 at 7:49 amRoguespirit

I was stunned by the quality of animation in this episode and I hope they will keep the bar high for the remaining episodes. But why does Yomi have glasses now? Watching this series people would never guess the origin of BRS. This is a show you don’t watch on drugs cause you’ll go over the edge.

• February 3, 2012 at 8:57 amAex

Hmm… I dunno… Hope this is just how it starts off, because BRS seems way too weak right now. Maybe just because she’s fighting two on one, but even before the chains started coming, Chariot was sorta kicking her ass. Feels wrong to weaken BRS for the sake of gore, so I hope there’s more to it.

Otherwise I like where this is going! Be interesting to see what the connection between the two worlds is. Need more!

• February 3, 2012 at 1:14 pmFencedude

Its like people never even paid attention to the OVA!

• February 3, 2012 at 1:35 pmAex

I just re-watched the OVA, that’s why I felt like BRS seemed too weak. She and Dead Master were pretty much an even fight till the end, so Chariot mauling BRS like nothing just seems overpowered to me. Sorry if I missed something.

Plus the Black Gold Saw fight didn’t really give a sense of how strong BRS is, just that BGS is probably stronger.

• February 3, 2012 at 8:57 amsaka

i thought the BRS characters are something like their ‘personas’
    go matoi, make some social links & get the ultimate cannon!
    the fight scenes were pretty awesome.

speaking of which, it’s more of a kana hanazawa season.

• February 3, 2012 at 10:34 amBenigmatica

Well, I guess there is some time for the plot development on this series!

But hey, at least the theme song is there…

• February 3, 2012 at 11:20 amTrombe

The episode was meh to me.
    But oh god Sawashiro Miyuki <3!!! + Hanazawa + Kitamura Eri + Noto Mamiko, i can even watch it with my eyes closed and it'd be good, such an amazing cast.

• February 3, 2012 at 12:02 pmQwerty1

Dead Master with glasses, a veil, AND a frilly dress?

I’m clutching my money in anticipation of a new figma line for this series.

• February 3, 2012 at 12:22 pmRockmanshii

You guys ever ate macarons? They’re good you know.

• February 3, 2012 at 1:10 pmJimhawk

• February 3, 2012 at 1:19 pmSeishun Otoko

There’s something about tormenting a loli that’s just soooo… Gosh, BRS is trying to turn me into a sadist :/
    I wonder what’s Yomi’s and Kagari’s relationship? They’re probably not your usual housemates. Also, I’ll be more than happy to eat to those “dirty-colored” macarons. They look positively yummy to me…

• February 3, 2012 at 7:21 pmCTT

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like they’re hoping down the road to sadism. At least Gintama makes it look cool/funny

• February 3, 2012 at 7:22 pmCTT

hopping? jumping? skipping? scuba-diving? *shrugs*

• February 3, 2012 at 3:56 pmchupacabra

Anyone else experiencing slow loads on anything when you click on them besides the main post, like for example jimhawk picture at 1:10pm

• February 3, 2012 at 5:01 pmJordan

Very bad theory with little ground but, I think Arata Kohata may be Black Gold Saw,BGS’s outfit seems red with white stripe, Red eyes, the only off thing is the hair.

• February 3, 2012 at 5:50 pmGhostalker

After Nisemonogatari, Black★Rock Shooter is my second most anticipated show for Winter 2012 and seeing how I’m extra satisfied with this first episode I guess I can say that all the months that I’ve waited and the anticipation that comes with it are all taken care off.

Also I’m happy that they decide to use the original Black★Rock Shooter theme sung by Hatsune Miku (of VOCALOID) as one of the ED/OP theme of the show, it may have almost 4 years since it was release (2008), but the theme just never goes old in my hearing, it is still very pleasant to listen to.

• February 3, 2012 at 7:13 pmRincewind

Ok. Time to eat my words. This is pretty good. Really good.

Sure, I loved the OVA designs, but the new ones aren’t bad. (I still would have prefered a non-glasses Yomi).

And Kagari… unsettling and creepy as hell. Poor Mato, she seriously needs an hug after being bullied like that.
    I liked the fight scenes. When Black goes serious against Chariot is awesome. Sadly she get chained… again.

Yeay for Miku in the OP. And double yeay for high doses of yuri!! Screw subtext, yeay for text!! :P

I cant wait for the next episode.

• February 3, 2012 at 10:09 pmWatever

Sigh…
    In the short 22 minutes of air time, my impression of BRS-TV goes from “Interested” to “Slight disappointment”.

This episode would turn out better IMO if not for the unnecessary, excessive violent to the bishoujo. What on earth the producer was thinking!? Seriously, I felt slight discomfort during those moments.

I wouldn’t mind if it was a necessarily for the plot, something which i don’t see a slight hint anywhere.

Hope next episode turn out better. =/

• February 3, 2012 at 11:20 pmiron2000

So its basically a school-life/growing-up anime?
    But with relationships personified to BRS and the other avatars?
    Will that innerworld overflow to reality?
    Is there a one bad guy?

Kind of reminds me of American McGee’s Alice.

• February 3, 2012 at 11:31 pmiron2000

Wild thoughts:
      Chariot defeated = Kagari understands and let go?
      Deadmaster released -> Mato and Yomi become good friends
      Then Yu gets jealous -> leads to BRS vs Strength
      Somehow good friends Mato and Yomi quarrel -> leads to BRS vs DM
      Not sure how the overseer Black Gold Saw comes in yet.

Anyway when Kagari entered did she suggest that Yomi caused her to be wheelchair-ridden?

• February 4, 2012 at 12:01 amiron2000

On reviewing the OVA, it seems like my thoughts are influenced by it :P

• February 4, 2012 at 7:14 pmAex

Yeah, it seemed like the wheelchair was what was more-or-less enslaving Yomi to Kagari.

As for the order(all speculation based on OVA and interaction of two worlds), beating Chariot will probably get Kagari and Yomi to a better place somehow, but then Yomi will get jealous of how close Yuu is to Mato and BRS will need to fight Dead Master to save Yomi, then Mato will probably pay too much attention to Yomi instead of Yuu so Strength will need a sound beating to save Yuu. Black Gold Saw really is anyone’s guess right now though.

• February 3, 2012 at 11:40 pmiron2000

• February 4, 2012 at 7:59 amAex

That’s what I was thinking. It seems like they’re pointing their weapons at the object of their alter-ego’s strong emotions, whether hatred or obsession or something else powerful.

• February 4, 2012 at 1:52 amnagi

I would’ve liked it more if they used Nagi or Chouchou’s version of Black Rock Shooter. But then again it would ruin the “it all started here” feel..

• February 4, 2012 at 9:50 amThundershock81

This will be a good series to watch – shocking in places too. Brutal and dark is good but this was almost Higurashi level brutal at times (although i will admit that Higurashi is in my top 3 favourite animes ever). Quality was very good too.

Also loved the OP / ED in this – massive Hatsune Miku and vocaloid fan in general. I was hoping they were going to use the BRS song instead of something whipped up and im very glad they did, its one of the better Miku songs.

• February 4, 2012 at 10:11 amSylvia

I don’t know. I agree with the general things that have been talked about. The general atmosphere created, the characters,
    but how about the utterly horrendous animation that comes in when they aren’t using CGI?
    I don’t know much about animating, but when Mato’s eyes are kind of floating all over the place, it does seem like they could’ve done a better job.
    Her brother, some of her classmates and the people in the background don’t just look ‘plain’ and unimportant like they should. They look like blobs on top of that.
    I don’t know, but I feel that the OVA had a more shallow plot (from what we can see now anyway) but the artwork, animation was tons better.

• February 4, 2012 at 11:36 amNikku

Some may say otherwise, but I really enjoyed this.
    I’ve been a follower of BRS since the PV for the OAV came out, and I’ve loved every second of it. Some thought the OAV was kind of…childish and bad, but I honestly loved it. The TV series made me realize that more. It’s such a cool concept of someone or something taking the pain from your heart, so you can live on. I’m very excited of where this anime will go. All I know is, it’s only up from here!
    (the only problem I had was the animation differences along with Yomi and DM’s character designs. The first was to be expected but the latter…hmmm…)

• February 4, 2012 at 5:55 pmSuppa Tenko

Never really liked Vocaloid, so not quite sure what the point of BRS is. Anyone care to explain?

• February 4, 2012 at 6:31 pmAex

The point of BRS isn’t really clear yet. I’d suggest watching the OVA personally, it’s really good if you like action. Basically two girls(Yomi and Mato) became friends, but then Yomi got really jealous of another friend Mato had and got really moody/depressed. The one day she went up in a shimmer of black and seemingly disappears from the face of the earth. Mato gets really upset and looks for her everywhere, and near the end meets Black Rock Shooter.

While all this is happening, there’s scenes of another world where BRS and Dead Master(a “demon” that looks like Yomi) are fighting, and when BRS finally wins you find out she’s been fighting to save Yomi, who Dead Master somehow kidnapped. It’s presumed that the kidnapping was tied into Yomi’s emotions.

So yeah, it’s far from a complete story in the OVA, but very intriguing. The series looks like the same basic concept with more added to it. Very much an action show, but with school life, comedy, and drama thrown in when BRS isn’t in action.

• February 5, 2012 at 7:55 pmhaseo0408

The battles are awsome, the animation is amazing and the story is very interesting, all the premiere catched my attention. Chariot is brutal and truly sadistic and her aler ego Kagari is equally disturbed, I wonder who the hell that crazy girl is. I can´t wait to see where the story is headed but I´m sure it´s going to be dark.

• February 6, 2012 at 2:41 amProgeusz

Art is terrible, unfortunately. Only decent parts are backgrounds in alternative world.

• February 9, 2012 at 5:05 pmLady Orihime

Saya was on the character list. I posted this image (http://i42.tinypic.com/xlwdmp.png) on My Anime List back at the beginning of January.