Guilty Crown – 16 »« Guilty Crown – 14

Guilty Crown   15   25 Guilty Crown   15   26 Guilty Crown   15   27
Guilty Crown   15   28 Guilty Crown   15   29 Guilty Crown   15   30
Guilty Crown   15   31 Guilty Crown   15   32 Guilty Crown   15   33
Guilty Crown   15   34 Guilty Crown   15   35 Guilty Crown   15   36

「告白 sacrifice」 (Kokuhaku)
“Confession”

I think I died a little inside watching the latest episode of Guilty Crown, as one of my big reasons I’m still enjoying the series was snatched away before my very eyes. Why damn it why? I actually know why, but I choose to feign ignorance when it comes to killing off Hare to set Shuu down a path of self-destruction where he has little to no remorse for anyone. Some may say that there were death flags everywhere after the fact, but I disagree as this very episode didn’t really suggest that Hare was going to die. If anything, her indirect confession to Shuu looked like it was going to give him the confidence to lead the students of Tennouzu and save everyone from getting executed by the Anti Bodies — not turn over to the “dark side” and manhandle Inori like she was nothing more than a tool and then proceed to beat the crap out of Souta. I will commend the writers for this unexpected turn of events — and for getting me teary-eyed at the sight of Hare’s body after hearing her extremely touching final words — but they’re a far ways from redeeming themselves for sacrificing Hare, even if this new direction with “Evil Shuu” (as noted by his scarf) somehow turns Guilty Crown into a smash hit.

I’m sure a lot of people will be blaming Souta for Hare’s death, much like Shuu himself did, but I actually see it as a tragedy that resulted from things well beyond his control. I don’t find it all that unbelievable that the F rank students would recklessly try to prove their worth after finding out that vaccinations would be prioritized based on Void Resonance values. Instead, I’m finding it kind of unbelievable that they were so understanding after catching wind of it, as widespread panic in a fight for survival is more in line with what I imagine would happen under those circumstances. The same goes for the rest of the student body pinning its hopes on Shuu as the new student council president, which somehow quelled the commotion last time and managed to maintain order in a time of crisis. In comparison to a small group of students acting on their own to try and prove their worth, the situation probably should’ve been a lot worse with a deadly disease going about, so I really can’t see what happened to Hare as anything but tragic. After all, if there’s anyone who should be blamed, it’s Shuuichirou and his Anti Bodies who’re mercilessly killing people. Souta? He already feels responsible for Hare’s death so he’s already suffering with that sense of guilt looming over his head.

Where things get interesting is how Shuu takes Hare’s death, blinded by his rage after losing his queen — effectively losing sight of all the good parts she saw in him — and misdirecting his anger at all the wrong people. The preview suggests that he’s going to put the Void Ranking System in full effect, cruelly discriminating between people based on their worth, which has me wondering who’s going to be the righteous protagonist in this series if Shuu becomes the antihero. I suspect that everyone will prioritize bringing Shuu to his senses; however, part of me is curious to see what this series will turn into if he never really comes around. With Shibungi turning out to be the mysterious hand playing chess — and someone whom Segai looks like he wants to let go to stir things up — plus Daryl and his fascination with Tsugumi getting some more build-up (much to my dismay), there are actually several ways the story can still progress without Shuu reclaiming his seat as the righteous protagonist. I gather we’ll get a better idea next time, once we hear what Ayase, Inori, and the others’ take on Shuu is.

* Full-length images: 02, 07, 09, 10, 17, 26, 27.

Guilty Crown   15   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   15   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   15   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

End Card

Guilty Crown   15   End Card 01
February 3, 2012 at 12:15 am
  • February 3, 2012 at 8:29 pmYukipon

Looks like he changes the way he fights at the end.

Nice Shu: Usually runs at Endlaves recklessly.

Evil Shu: Just cuts the entire area recklessly.

Also, more ad-hoc writing with more CG than GC.

• February 3, 2012 at 8:44 pmTrombe

wow that car can dodge missiles but a helicopter can’t.
    And the plot as original as ever.
    Too bad, Hare was one of the few good things here.

• February 3, 2012 at 11:07 pmSaviour

This twist is cool. Shuu might as well go antihero, but the way his development has been, he’ll be crying like a girl two episodes later.

• February 4, 2012 at 12:26 amWatever

So this episode turn out to be interesting, at the expense of one of the most interesting character the show has to offer…

And Shuu kind of turn into next lelouch…?

Well, guess i’m more prefer tyrant Shuu than hypocrite Shuu.

• February 4, 2012 at 12:53 amDa5id

YOU MAY YET SEE BOTH AT ONCE.

• February 4, 2012 at 2:10 amWatever

I would be lying if i say i’m not expecting that.

• February 4, 2012 at 2:30 amnagi

Hmm, tyrant Shuu yes.. But next Lelouch? Nah, “wit” is the keyword there..

• February 4, 2012 at 12:56 amKabayongtao

Yahiro must be having fun right now.

• February 4, 2012 at 12:58 amKabayongtao

The helicopter with the machine gun gave me a scare. I thought they’ll make an overkill by targeting Hare’s body.

• February 4, 2012 at 6:16 amAnon

I think i would lose a little faith in humanity if they showed me Hare getting gunned down in addition to her lying her own pool of blood. Thank god they didn’t put her through that (extra) pain.

• February 4, 2012 at 1:09 amblahblahness

I have to say, I was sorta sad that she died and all ( I mean, a healing void? It’s sorta the most important right now when they are all cut off from the rest of the world ) but other than that, her only prominent role is to cheer Shu up and give fanservice to the fanboys. No offense to everybody here, lol. It’s true that Shu/Inori is the OTP, so they had to get rid of the clingy childhood friend first. I’m insensitive right now, yes, but it’s the truth. Besides, she reminds me too much of Orihime from Bleach (Healing and -ehhem-) and I don’t like either person.
    Great episode though, I really do agree with you about the ‘who’s going to be the new protagonist now that the main guy has turned evil’. I’m going to guess it’s going to be Inori, or by a LONG LONG shot, Daryl (I see redeeming features in him).
    Besides, I actually like Daryl and Tsugumi.

• February 4, 2012 at 2:28 amnagi

Poor Hare… can’t she just heal herself first? I cried a little, but this show’s been a joke that I just can’t take it seriously 100%.

• February 4, 2012 at 3:16 amAnon

No she couldn’t. Try and think a little harder here.

• February 4, 2012 at 3:33 amOut of it

Stupid question: Where are all the other civilians (that aren’t students) that are trapped in the quarantine zone? I remember a scene showing some civilians being shot when they first showed us the wall but after that, nothing.

• February 4, 2012 at 3:36 amAnon

Some dead, some in hiding? Hopefully they were smarter than Souta and friends in not exposing themselves to endlaves and shooting helicopters. Even more could have been killed by the virus already if they didn’t get any vaccination medicine.

• February 4, 2012 at 5:35 amOut of it

So there *are* other civilians in there?

I’m somewhat surprised that the students have been keeping to themselves, staying in the school the whole time. Same thing with the civilians. Or at least, that’s how the show seems to be portraying it.

Also seems kinda weird how the students seem to be the most organized group in there.

In fact, this all feels so wrong that I’m sure I missed a scene that explained this. After all, I’m usually half distracted while I’m watching this show.

• February 4, 2012 at 6:00 amAnon

Can’t say for sure, but just because they haven’t shown any yet doesn’t mean none exist. They’re just simply not the focal point of the story. But like I said before I think most of them have already been taken by the virus or killed which is why the area looks so dead as it is. I don’t expect them to show me random shots of a starving family or whatnot.

The students have been keeping to themselves because it safer to do that than splitting up. The school acts as a good base seeing as it has all the school supplies, space and facilities to house them. I guess its also a good spot to contact outside people such as Arisa’s grandfather.

I didn’t think they were so well organized last week lol. But who are you comparing hem to? School is generally meant to be an organized place so I don’t think its impossible for them to be so. They have announcement systems and already designated leaders to lead them in the mess so as long as everyone calms the fuck down. It should be fine.

What kind of scene were you expecting? Honestly asking. I personally didn’t think they needed to explain it seeing as a lot of it could be inferred.

• February 4, 2012 at 7:55 pmOut of it

I also inferred that a majority have been killed by the virus.

“The school acts as a safe base”.

Considering how all the skyscrapers became dilapidated, I do agree. But if the school really is in much better condition than all the other buildings around, it would be likely to draw outsiders in. It happened in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 – schools were used as a base for handing out rations and providing shelter for the injured.

“…it has all the school supplies, space and facilities to house them.”
        “good spot to contact outside people”

All the more reason outsiders would want to come in.

But who are you comparing them to?

The fact that there is no other group to compare them to kind of gives us the impression that the school kids were the only ones that have formed any sort of coherent group. If there was a more organized group, the school kids (or at least some of them) would probably opt for that one. So this all requires a suspension of belief on my part. I mean to believe that adults that have grown up in Japan’s rigid, hierarchical society with a communal mindset would just dissolve into complete disorder while in comparison, a bunch of school kids manage to designate a leader, handle food rations, vaccine rations, etc.

Now, I’m not too surprised that they never addressed this stuff. After all, this *is* a show about and targeting adolescents (only people under 18 have voids right?) but the way the story set itself up just made this particular aspect of the situation feel unnatural.

• February 4, 2012 at 8:38 pmAnon

I guess it did technically draw outsiders in Ayase’s episode. But aren’t we assuming that most people in the area are dead and also moving from one place to another is dangerous seeing as there are scouting shooting helicopters? I don’t expect rioters to come into a random school. The students are only there now because that’s where they were when shit went down. I highly doubt that the school is the only building in good condition either. Rather than comparing it to Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I think of it more like your average zombie flick. People could also be drawn to shopping malls, hospitals, town halls too but your movement is limited if you want to prevent yourself from getting eaten…or in this case shot.

Unless the students go out to explore, which can be pretty dangerous judging from the events this episode, they’re not going to be joining any other groups. But like you said yourself shows like this just require a little bit of suspension of belief. In real life the students would probably be in more disarray, but who is to say that its impossible for them to know how to organize amongst themselves? Also remember they’ve been stuck in the school for a few weeks now and its not like the show hasn’t already addressed the part where the students were confused and reckless.

• February 4, 2012 at 9:46 pmOut of it

“I guess it did technically draw outsiders in Ayase’s episode”

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that. It’s rather sad how the main outsiders seen thus far have a mentality lower than school kids wouldn’t you say? (“We’re gonna teach those happy school kids what a harsh world this is” *rolleyes*). But hey, I know that was just a (crappy) plot device to help develop Ayase.

But aren’t we assuming that most people in the area are dead

Hmm, somewhat hard to believe that *everyone* save students in the vicinity is dead but sure, I’ll take that. People under 18 were more resistant to the intial outbreak?

I don’t expect rioters to come into a random school.

Neither do I. Which was why those during Ayase’s epiosde were face-palm inducing. I had expected on some sort of contact with more civilised outsiders though.

It certainly is after they announced that wall plan but prior to that there was no obvious immediate threat. Hell, the students were holding a school festival out in the open.

But you make a valid point on the restricted movement after the shoot on sight order was implemented. This still leaves me questioning the behaviour before it though.

[Sidetrack] And heck, it makes me question why the antagonists don’t just raid the school since they know voids are their greatest threat. Do an air strike. Snipe out Shu. Sure Inori’s void is something to behold, but it’s not exactly hard to assassinate one person who isn’t empowered by voids 24/7. I’ll just guess that the clown of an antagonist is just playing around, trying to give off the impression that he is well versed with ancient tactics. Or maybe he wants to distill Shu’s power out of him and is keeping him safe. But then you would just organise a kidnap party. Or maybe he just wants to observe Shu’s power. Or maybe I’ll just accept that creating character motivations is not this series’ strong point.

I wasn’t denying that. Just the inference that adults can’t create an organised group in times of chaos. But I’ll go with your reasoning. They made their own group and never interacted with the school in the time of confusion. Then their access to anywhere away from their immediate vicinity was completely barred off after the order for a purge. Antagonists also never mention groups other than the students since lol, what can they do against military equipment and a wall of destruction.

• February 4, 2012 at 5:17 amboingman

This episode was good drama wise, but looking at it objectively, we knew it was coming since the new opening, so I still can’t call this a great series, considering how predictable it continues to be.

• February 4, 2012 at 6:12 amAnon

wait. So you’re calling this show predictable based on the fact that they PURPOSELY gave you the clues in the opening? Sure this show is predictable at points but most of the time its done through foreshadowing, as badly written in as it may be. Even with Hare’s death this episode, people are calling it predictable!as if they didn’t force feed you the death flags…

If anything there’s too much hand holding in this series.

• February 4, 2012 at 8:57 amKuroganne

Well… now I can understand why “Guilty Crown”

• February 4, 2012 at 11:20 amliz

while i’m a little disappointed that shuu ouma has been made into an antihero, i think it’ll make the series much more interesting. At this point, I can’t even guess what will happen next. i mean, just before this episode he was the obvious “good guy” in the anime. but now that he’s turned all heartless, there no telling where the story will go. Right now I cant really picture him being persuaded by his friends and going “oh lol nvm i’m good again, let’s be nice. derp.” But at the same time, i cant really picture him being a cruel king.
    also, i loved hare. im really sad she had to go. at least she had a little time to shine before she died…

• February 4, 2012 at 1:31 pmnymbryxion

Why could’nt Hare just heal herself first and then heal Shu, hell her bandage whip thingy could extend and wrap around objects as big as a bridge, why can she just wrap both of them? pff plot >.>

• February 4, 2012 at 7:33 pmpekpek ng shota ko

You just don’t understand, only Shu can use the full power of the void. Hare can only use it in small area or 1 person at the time, and you can see that Souta can only open canned goods. pff <.<

• February 4, 2012 at 7:40 pmThe Moondoggie

@the guy above me:

There is no specific rule about Hare’s bandage that says that she can’t heal a group.

Offtopic:

What the hell is wrong you!?! That username… D:

• February 6, 2012 at 3:22 amnagi

@Offtopic: I.. really don’t know.. I thought RC was a “safer” place..

• February 6, 2012 at 3:36 amSummer Mist

Just to confirm, can you understand the meaning of the name?

• February 6, 2012 at 3:49 amtyuio

anyone mind translating? In spoilers if you must and in roundabout language if required.

• February 6, 2012 at 4:21 amThe Moondoggie

Just translate it from Filipino to English…. I’m really not in the mood D:

• February 6, 2012 at 4:46 amfragb85

It means

And he doesn’t mean her cuddly pet.

• February 6, 2012 at 5:04 amThe Moondoggie

I’m appalled at people who call themselves that. I don’t understand people who depreciate themselves.

• February 6, 2012 at 5:24 amfragb85

Don’t be naive, its the internet. Pinoy slang is hardly the worse thing to happen around here.

• February 8, 2012 at 10:09 pmnagi

Oh, I’ve never thought that some frequents here are fellow countrymen. Anyway, I can only think that he’s using that [username] on purpose, since I still believe RC is still one of the good places for intellectual anime-related discussions.

• February 4, 2012 at 2:02 pmGASFaceMC

Based on all the comments, I concluded that a lot of you guys do not like tragedy. (I am not sure if its half ass tragedy with happy ending or a real tragedy where everything is lost.)What motivates one more than hatred? Hare’s death was kind of down going however she was the only one that can give Shuu a very heavy impact when she dies. The other characters’ death may cause hatred or sadness for Shuu but will never make him abandon kindness and bring him to such of hatred.Since the death of other characters would not possibly be like Hare’s ( where its because of her kindness and other one’s stupidity) hence he did say kindness is useless. I don’t think Inori’s death will ever be caused by her kindness as well as other’s ignorance. Same goes with all other characters.

• February 4, 2012 at 5:28 pmZetatrain

Huh, given how Hare kinda reminds me of Shirley from Code Geass ( the type who secretly but obviously has a crush on the main character) I guess I should have seen this coming. As for Shu, man his guy can’t catch a break. After finally shaking off his wimpy personality now he is in danger of falling into the exact opposite end of the spectrum.

• February 4, 2012 at 7:35 pmAshen

Saw it coming the more the episode went on, but I was sad to see her die all the same.

Shu’s freak-out and misdirecting his angst/anger towards Souta, treating Inori like an object (the sexual abuse undertone was anything but subtle), and implementing the ranking system next time are all things that disappointed me regarding him, but then I’ve become hard to please since GC killed off Gai, so who know – maybe this’ll be as you speculated and Shu will gain some interesting points in the future.

As for the foreshadowing of Daryl x Tsugumi, I personally couldn’t be happier. I think a psychotic-yet-somehow-human tsundere clashing/hooking up with a realist tsundere will give both of them something they need – a genuine, close bond which they seemed to lack growing up.

Wondering if the “he” Shibungi referred to will turn out to be Shu, Kenji (just where are you hiding, you lovable SOB?), or Shoichiro.

• February 4, 2012 at 10:22 pmErif

Sorry, I still can’t being myself to like this show at all. Shuu’s “resolution” (if you will) felt unbelievably forced, as did many other things in the episode. The pacing has been so terribad so far it almost hurts, and it’s astounding how Shuu has STILL has no substance what-so-ever. They’re just going to pill all of the dead guy’s traits onto Shuu, instead of developing him into his own individualistic character.

/rant

• February 5, 2012 at 2:18 amThe Story You Don’t Know

Shu, you just Hare disappointed with you! Curse you!!!!!

• February 5, 2012 at 2:19 amThe Story You Don’t Know

Shu, you just made Hare disappointed with you! Curse you!!!!!

Sorry, missed out a word

• February 5, 2012 at 2:20 amRS456

Now the big question who will be person Shu can confide with now since Hare is gone??? I highly doubt Inori and Yahiro doesn’t seem like a person he can confide with and on top of that it seems Shu also lost it.

• February 5, 2012 at 2:29 amThe Story You Don’t Know

The next person closest to him aside from Inori would be Ayase I think. More Shu and Ayase screen time? Not bad at all… if Shu won’t be a jerk to Ayase -.-

• February 5, 2012 at 3:35 amCroos

I wonder if Inori will act as Haru after this events. I want to see Shuu get angry and dramatic with that. :)

• February 5, 2012 at 4:24 amDCLXVI

Oooohhhh, I’d love to see this show turn into a chronicle of Shuu’s slow descent into madness, a la Citizen Kane. I only really “felt” Hare as a character during this episode, and I think she’s done her job well, barring the dying bit. I really really wanted to tear up at the end, but I was watching in public, so no dice.

That said, I was thinking that this show was a bit immature, but now it’s crossed that line. We’re not quite in Death Note country yet, but the morbidity/seriousness level is at around Code Geass level now.

• February 5, 2012 at 5:57 amAlex

I predict that Shu’s friends will die one by one. Begin with Hare then Souta…. This episode is very good but i really HATE the director for killing Hare!!

• February 5, 2012 at 5:59 amAlex

IDK whether i like the kind Shu or rage mode Shu better….

• February 5, 2012 at 7:46 amnoooooooo

• February 5, 2012 at 9:48 ampedobearmatt

Next episode.
    Shu will overuse P.O.W Daryl’s void next episode.
    Yahiro is still working with Segai.

Next two episodes.
    Shu will eradicate the enemies at the expense of some Rank A students and finally wins the battle. The other King is smiling while he saw what Shu is capable of.

Next three episodes.
    Shu will enforce some laws for Japan.

Next four episodes.
    Souta and a lot of them will start a rebellion against Shu’s Void Kingdom.

In the final episode.
    Shu and Inori will both disappear in the end.

• February 5, 2012 at 11:27 amDusk

Let me guess… You’ve recently watched the 2nd part of Code Geass, right? =p

• February 5, 2012 at 1:10 pmfreedomapoc

lol fail :p come on guys lets try to transform Shuu in Lelouche xD give him the same eyes and make him angry at evrything :p if only he was like that from birth like Lelouche now its just pathetic

• February 5, 2012 at 4:57 pmCroos

Can’t wait to see Inori takes Shuu away from everything after all of the people around him doesn’t believe in him anymore.
    Note: I’m only basing this using the ENDING of the episode

• February 6, 2012 at 5:45 pmVoid

Goddammit why did they have to turn Hare into a Girlfriend in the Refrigerator. There are other ways to accomplish this sort of thing you know. You don’t always have to kill off the best character.

• February 6, 2012 at 10:42 pmybaby

imo Hare’s death is like Shirley’s death in CG. Both were nice girls who had a love interest for the protagonist; and their death were stepping stones for the protagonist’s character as well.

• February 7, 2012 at 12:00 amybaby

One thing I don’t really get is why Hare crystallized instead of just bleeding to death. I’m really in love with this Shu but atm it’s hard to get over Hare’s death because she was definitely by far my favorite female character. Kind of sad that most kind thirdwheel girls are always dead or left out from the action…

• April 8, 2012 at 3:54 amniiiiii

hare crystallized because her void got shot…

• February 9, 2012 at 4:02 pmDa5id

OH GOD WTF JUST HAPPENED HERE.

Looks we skipped all the way from R2 Ep 13 to R2 Ep 22!

So basically, they substituted one dictatorship with secret police that have mechs, with one that’s only made up of one high school and the secret police have super weapons. And some how it got this bad in “JUST A FEW DAYS”?! Goebbels Yahiro is clearly the one pulling the strings and Adolf’s Shu’s just a manic mental case at this point! Meanwhile It’s the end of WW2 all over again!

And Eva Braun is just…lost it along with the rest of them. You know why I’m not gonna strike that one? BECAUSE HER NAME IS EVA.

• February 9, 2012 at 4:38 pmKarmafan

With episode 16 Guilty Crown has jumped the shark. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE DIRECTION this series has taken. Shu and Inori have both lost their minds.

• February 9, 2012 at 5:19 pmThe Moondoggie

Ok so now:

Shu = Lelouch + Gai + The Fuhrer
    Inori = Mana (Total Yandere) + Eva Braun
    Yahiro = Martin Bormann + Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger(coming soon)
    Gai = Jesus(preview! look at the preview!)

Shit! This is getting more awesome!

• February 9, 2012 at 6:49 pmDa5id

You forgot Goebbels!

• February 9, 2012 at 7:08 pmThe Moondoggie

*Yahiro = Martin Bormann + Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger(coming soon) + Joseph Goebbels

Fixed…

• February 9, 2012 at 7:39 pmDa5id

Good god, don’t scare me like that.

• February 9, 2012 at 7:56 pmThe Moondoggie

Why Goebells anyway? I thought the Fuhrer liked Bormann more than Goebells?

• February 9, 2012 at 7:56 pmThe Moondoggie

*Goebbels.. herpderp

• February 9, 2012 at 8:26 pmDa5id

Yeah, but Goebbels was head of propaganda, and organized all the discrimination and pogroms against German Jews, much like Yahiro has been pushing the abuse and discrimination against (Anne) F-ranks.

• February 9, 2012 at 10:49 pmCause

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for ruining the episode for me. Oh boy lets post a really revealing screen shot as one of the main pictures that shows up. Oh I wonder if she dies. She looks like she is going to, and Oma looks like she just died. Ok that’s real great. Not to mention Another which was also ruined for me 2 weeks ago. Seriously. Not following this blog anymore, Done with my TV shows getting ruined.

• February 9, 2012 at 11:00 pmCarVac

Perhaps you could…maybe…wait until you watch the episode before reading the blog? Or blur your eyes as you pass over shows that you haven’t watched yet.

• February 9, 2012 at 11:09 pmCause

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The 6 episode pictures posted were revealing. Sorry if I can’t help seeing them. I was looking for post on a certain anime, as I do like to read the blog, but skimming over the main page should absolutely not give me spoilers. In no way is that fair. Please don’t take shots at my intelligence.

• February 9, 2012 at 11:15 pmCarVac

I understand how you feel, but I take precautions against accidental spoilers because they have ruined series for me too.

My concern was that you were basically insulting the blog authors instead of asking for something to be done about the problem, or doing something about it on your end such as blocking images temporarily or whatever.

• February 9, 2012 at 11:43 pmDa5id

Sounds like you deserve those shots to your intelligence. I’ve never had a problem avoiding spoilers here because I know ahead of time that they’re gonna have revealing screenshots.

You know how I avoid that if I really don’t want the story ruined? I DON’T COME HERE UNTIL I’VE WATCHED THE DAMN EPISODE.

You’re the one making this a huge problem if it’s taken you this long to realize this trend.

• « Older Comments