Guilty Crown – 17 »« Guilty Crown – 15

Guilty Crown   16   25 Guilty Crown   16   26 Guilty Crown   16   27
Guilty Crown   16   28 Guilty Crown   16   29 Guilty Crown   16   30
Guilty Crown   16   31 Guilty Crown   16   32 Guilty Crown   16   33
Guilty Crown   16   34 Guilty Crown   16   35 Guilty Crown   16   36

「王国 the tyrant」 (Oukoku)
“Kingdom”

Hmm, where do I start? While I can understand Shuu’s decision to become a tyrant, maintain order with an iron fist, and try to save everyone that way, I really don’t understand the king-like treatment that Yahiro’s making everyone give him. It was very irksome to watch because I figure more people would have enough dignity in the face of death to not resign to becoming a slave in hopes of potentially being saved, which is why Argo was my hero this week. He basically flipped Shuu the middle finger and told him to take his right hand and shove it up his own ass, and said just about everything that I was thinking, including how Shuu was actually cooler when he was lacking confidence and looking for a place to belong.

For the record, I’d just like to say that I was not one of the people who kept clamoring over how Shuu had better grow a spine or the hell with this series, as my biggest qualm wasn’t with his character but with how the story was so poorly put together in the first half that it was hard to see him in a consistent light, let alone a positive one. And now, it’s almost as if the writers feel like they can just do whatever the heck they want with little to no concern for how the series got to where it is now. “Oh, you don’t like a wishy-washy main character? Well let us fix that in the second half of the series.” Well, I hope you guys who were complaining are happy now, because I find the current Shuu — who just had to dress up like a preppy boy with a long coat, scarf, and armband to match his loyal followers — so much more disagreeable than the one who never wanted the Void Genome and got stuck with it.

The shock value from Hare’s death and Shuu’s drastic change in character only lasted for about five minutes for me last episode, as I didn’t really like the antihero direction things were headed. It just comes off really messy and fairly forced, as if the storyboard keeps changing from week to week. The addition of some new female characters — Takarada Ritsu (Tsuda Minami, Phryne in FRACTALE), Herikawa Miyabi (Watanabe Akeno), and a nameless girl — acting as Shuu’s “elite” bodyguards and following a strict command structure was just silly, as was all the lower Void-ranked students who were being discriminated working tirelessly for them in hopes of getting some vaccinations. I just can’t see students — high school students mind you — putting up with that kind of crap even if it looks like the GHQ plans to execute everyone in the quarantined area. (Like what are Shuu and his guards going to do if a large group of them just got up and left? Kill them all with their Voids? Because I’d sure like to see that.) What’s more, his attempt to maintain the status quo for prioritizing resources and handing down punishments felt like self-imposed drama, much like how he was going to make an example of Souta. While Yahiro was clearly manipulating Shuu by lying to him about Hare’s death — likely in an attempt to just use his Void Genome to save himself — some responsibility still falls on Shuu for letting himself be used. This does not look like someone who has any plans of taking responsibility and redeeming himself, which goes back to the problem with how the writers aren’t making his character relatable or even respectable so that I can give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s never a good sign when I’m happy to see Ayase slap him and wish she used her Void to kick him nuts too.

Where things do get intriguing are the plot devices that continue cropping up yet don’t seem entirely connected to what we saw in the first half of the series. For one, there’s still no talk about why Shuuichirou is still alive or why he’s working with Segai again, even though Yuu finally made a reappearance again. Then there is Yuu’s talk about Mana, who appears to be awakening in Inori as Shuu gathers more powerful Voids — something that is being made out as “the plan all along” with this quarantined area after they failed miserably with their first attempt. Throw in some overseas countries that are probably thinking of ridding the world of Japan and being done with all their messed up genome research, Haruka willingly cooperating with Shuuichirou after trying to flee for her life, “Inori” pointing at Arisa and seemingly kill her off (but not really killing her off), and now Gai getting resurrected/cloned (probably to push Shuu over the genomic edge if I had to make a guess), and we just have a lot of big developments that are really good but feel terribly out of place considering everything that’s happened up to this point. Messy, messy stuff.

On the plus side, there is one thing that I can say feels like it’s been a long time coming — confirmation that a person dies if their Void is destroyed. It verified my suspicion from all the way back in episode two and kind of supports the other theory I had about how Voids and the Apocalyptic Virus are closely related. It seems like a good manifestation of a genomic resonance is a Void, whereas the out-of-control manifestation is the virus. The perfect manifestation would presumably be a Void Genome that can draw out Voids, which I suspect Shuu’s father and Shuuichirou went to great lengths to create. The so-called “rock that started it all” is probably key to its creation, as is Mana for coming into contact with it and spreading the effects of the virus when she went out of control and caused the first Lost Christmas. Or at least, that’s my best-fit understanding of the plot before the writers decide to improvise some new developments.

* Highlights of the episode were Ayase slapping Shuu, Argo punching Shuu, and of course Tsugumi tying up Ayase in that off-the-shoulder one piece.
* Go for broke! This might be a new record for the most number of full-length images in a single post at 14.
* Full-length images: 02, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 12, 17, 19, 20, 22, 25, 30, 35.

Guilty Crown   16   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   16   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   16   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

End Card

Guilty Crown   16   End Card 01
February 10, 2012 at 2:52 am
  • February 10, 2012 at 4:41 pmbeepers

Just some random thoughts after looking at the above comments…

1) This series can’t be THAT bad from an entertainment point of view – after all, all of you are still watching it and writing about it!

2) The sudden progression from spineless Shu to fascist Shu took a a week, which is well, pretty sudden. Given what’s happened to him and what he’s always wanted (e.g., to be accepted, to protect his friends around him), I for one am not surprised he’s become this way, nor do I find it as implausible or annoying as the rest of everyone here. Plus he’s being basically manipulated by Yahiro, who was always a bit of a tool to begin with. A flashforward of a year or two would have made this much more believable. BTW, he never said he wanted to save EVERYONE – I think the goal is to save as many as possible (minus Souta, cuz he’s still pissed as hell at him). The constantly flip-flopping personality-wise really sums up Shu – he doesn’t know what he wants to be and he’s always trying to live up to the expectations of others.

3) Student’s becoming slave-like – I think we’d all be surprised (not to say I really do know) at people are willing to do in the face of almost certain death. Although I find it funny how they developed this societal system in the span of a few days. Again, if only the writers employed a flashforward device.

4) The rest of the characterisations aren’t that bad – everyone’s been pretty consistent!
    - Inori: mindless doll created from Mana, who wakes up and eventually turns into a homicidal maniac
    - School bullies: as enforcers of the regime, it’s a perfect job for them, but I think they got this because they had decent Voids, no?
    - Arisa / Ayase etc: Idealist + typical good guys

5) What I don’t understand is the logic of some of these people – Even if you knew you would die if your void broke, so what? Its better to die fighting for your life then to cower in fear no? I don’t see why all the “good guys” were so shocked – other than for the fact that the users themselves didn’t know. Then again, if you are charging into battle with your void, what’s to stop a bullet from entering your skull? Void don’t generally protect you from harm.

• February 10, 2012 at 5:00 pmThousand Mistress

Gsi. Yeah sure…Gai…

The good thing in this episode? Ayase slapping Shu and Inori. And Shu, you better fix that attitude sometime or you’ll just end up acting like a certain someone from Code Geass and would untimely lead to his death.

First half of the series was way better. It seemed like the second half is the darker version of the series.

• February 10, 2012 at 5:14 pmkabayongtao

If Gai really managed to get back, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hare can be resurrected.

• February 10, 2012 at 7:14 pmThe Moondoggie

Not really. If Shuuichirou got picked up from the tower’s wreckage, my guess is that they must have picked up Gai too. So he didn’t die last time.

• February 10, 2012 at 8:21 pmKabayongtao

Last time I remember, I saw his body disintegrated to nothing. If there is something to be picked up, it would be his crystal dust.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:12 pmDa5id

Plus, Episode 9 showed that consciousness can move through cancer crystals, so it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for particles of them to maintain people’s souls.

It’s incredibly cheesy, which leads me to believe the show’s gonna end with Shu talking to all the dead characters at once and using all their voids at once. Just like the whiny Stu he is.

• February 11, 2012 at 2:23 pmkabayongtao

@Da5id: lol, I can imagine that. :D

• February 10, 2012 at 6:11 pmjingoi

Divine you really must be divine to continue watching this show and reviewing it. What do you like about GC?

• February 11, 2012 at 5:22 pmDivine

Well for one, it’s a highly discussed series so it only makes sense to blog about it. The main reason why I’m watching it is because I want to see how it turns out. I’m not going to judge it harshly until I’ve seen it all. I still think the series is salvageable, so I’m still holding onto a little bit of hope that it’ll end on a positive note.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:17 pmSuppa Tenko

Yahiro really needs to die. It seems like he’s the one person that is screwing everything up.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:32 pmduqs

Ouma Shuu… Ou-ma… So if i reversed em it’ll be Maou lol.

This episode just confirms that Hare would have died whether or not her void got torn D=

• February 10, 2012 at 6:36 pmR

The preview with Arisa could be a flashback, right? Regardless, I just don’t see the point in having a climactic scene during which Inori something‘s her that ends in a bloodied, broken mirror, only to have her show up in the preview for the next episode.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:40 pmDa5id

A flashback showing the TWO DAYS inbetween episode 15 and 16? Why couldn’t they have just shown that before THIS episode so we could have half an explanation as to how things got so fucked up so fast?!

• February 11, 2012 at 10:51 amR

Not saying it makes sense (lol Guilty Crown, make sense?), was just throwing it out there as a possibility. I agree with your sentiment entirely, but I wouldn’t put it past the Guilty Crown committee with their grand storytelling and all.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:42 pmqwerty

It’s the wtf factor that keeps you coming back. I really doubt it’s a flashback, the preview look like an full scene just before they make their escape and Shu’s discussing the plans with them.

• February 11, 2012 at 10:56 amR

Yeah, the wtf factor definitely keeps pulling me back. It’ll probably just be that Inori incapacitated her a little bit.

• February 10, 2012 at 6:53 pmDa5id

Hello ladies. Look at your Void. Now back to me. Now back at your Void. Now back at me. Luckily, it isn’t mine. But if you started lying for sake of vanity and did extremely rash and foolish decisions you could be as much of a useless piece of shit as me. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You’re in a wartorn street with the man whose Void can only open cans. What’s in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It’s that sweet and adorable girl with that Void everybody needs. Look again. The girl is now diamonds! Anything is possible when your Void is only good for an addict of Heinz baked beans. I’m on death row.

• February 10, 2012 at 7:00 pmThe Man Your Man Could Smell Like

As much as I love Old Spice adds and references. Not really feeling it.

• February 10, 2012 at 10:43 pmDa5id

Well, that’s the last time I copy/paste stuff from tumblr. :(

• February 10, 2012 at 7:11 pmThe Moondoggie

:/ What’s that supposed to mean?

• February 10, 2012 at 7:13 pmThe Man Your Man Could Smell Like

He’s making a joke about Souta killing Hare.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:14 pmDa5id

Sorry, my bad.

• February 10, 2012 at 8:31 pmshin

>I really don’t understand the king-like treatment that Yahiro’s making everyone give him.

I think this is necessary in a meritocracy to show preferential treatment to create a driving force of people wanting to move up the ladder.

I agree with a lot of people that Shuu is just like a puppet king and Yahiro running everything behind the scenes. I could understand if Shuu took up reigns and actually had the conviction to walk the talk, but it seems like its all fake bravado once again.

• February 10, 2012 at 8:58 pmAdreme

I didnt really see Shu doing anything actually evil until the end. Based on the explanation all of the F-Ranks will survive, they just dont have the resources to prioritize them ahead of everyone else. What he did to Souta was sort of a evil thing but if you figure that he still blames him for Hare’s death than you can see him more as an exception than a rule. I guess the realisation at the end that he killed Hare made him finally completely snap at Argo.

One of the weirder things to me is why Souta is even F-Rank in the first place. Wasn’t he the guy in episode 7 who had the void to open any door or anything that was locked. That seems like an obscenely useful void when at some point you wanna get the people back thru the barrier into the safe part of the city.

• February 10, 2012 at 10:00 pmBeckett

This show is really pissing me off, not gonna lie. Primarily because the second half is showing a lot of signs that this show COULD have been great, if it had writers who know what the hell they were doing and hadn’t completely stuffed it in the first half. Most of the problems in this show can be directly traced back to the first half. Characters that weren’t developed then and are suddenly like “OH HI I’M IMPORTANT NOW PLEASE CARE ABOUT ME LOTS!”. Abilities and situations that were not foreshadowed AT ALL and appear to have been pulled directly from someone’s ass to try and paint themselves out of a corner. A main character who appears to be written by a new person every week (or every 5 seconds in some cases). It’s very frustrating, the good ship SS Guilty Crown can see Good Show Island from where they are but is instead being piloted right into the Great Failure Reef by a writing staff that appears to have the combined intellect of a below-average laboratory rat.

• February 10, 2012 at 10:24 pmKaka

I have lost all hopes when Gai is revived. Now I watch it just to see how retarded this will go. Guilty Crown never fails to amaze me!!!!

• February 10, 2012 at 10:53 pmJared Drake

I’m excited about next week’s episode! I wonder how they’re going to fuck with Shu next?

Most likely, Gai will show up.

He’ll take Ayase, Tsugumi, and Argo away from Shu (If the latter isn’t dead). The rest of the students will die in an ill-fated attempt at escaping the quarantine zone.

In the end, Shu will only have Inori. Yay.

• February 10, 2012 at 10:56 pmJared Drake

Also. I hope Argo really dies. He came off as an asshole in this episode.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:00 pmDa5id

He may have been an asshole, but he was telling it how it is. Shu’s completely beyond help at this point.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:12 pmJared Drake

How would you handle the situation as Shu? Being the leader of all these people? He asked the same question to Argo and I found myself agreeing with Shu on the situation.

I don’t think he’s beyond help.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:28 pmDa5id

But he shouldn’t be leader in the first place, is the thing. Especially since things turned out like this.

• February 11, 2012 at 6:37 amJared Drake

Hrm. Yahiro should be the Student Council President. With Shu as his main enforcer. Yes.

• February 10, 2012 at 11:24 pmDa5id

Hey, so…

This has been bugging me for about the whole series, but…

Why does Shu like Inori? Or why does Inori like Shu? Honestly, I don’t have a goddamn clue.

• February 11, 2012 at 10:50 amR

Incest, I guess.

• February 11, 2012 at 1:42 pmThe Moondoggie

You should have known already: Shu being Inori’s fan is a contributing factor.

• February 11, 2012 at 2:14 pmDa5id

Really?! That’s the contributing factor after all this time? He likes her music?

If I got trapped in a blockade with Natalie Portman, I’d thank her for the acting, but I wouldn’t make her queen of my evil army.

But then again…

• February 11, 2012 at 2:25 pmThe Moondoggie

You do know that the attraction started way back before…? Have you forgotten how he’s hurt when Inori/Mana entered Gai’s room?

• February 11, 2012 at 2:38 pmDa5id

But what’s the attraction based on exactly? Looks? Her music? His hormones? The fact she looks like his sister?

• February 11, 2012 at 3:07 pmThe Moondoggie

I got the vibes that Shu was first attracted when Inori says she likes him(the episode before he got NTR’ed). Then after the NTR episode he respects Gai a bit more then and MIGHT still like Inori, even after all that.

Which makes me ask: What does Shu think of Inori exactly…?

• February 11, 2012 at 3:09 pmThe Moondoggie

Which makes me ask: What does Shu think of Inori exactly…?

I mean right now. I really don’t get romance vibes from the two.

• February 11, 2012 at 5:14 pmDa5id

Again, I really hope you’re right, and that they don’t get together at all. But this isn’t much better.

And the damn Opening and Ending are pointing towards it too.

• February 11, 2012 at 4:21 pmChuam

Agree with Moondoggie.

Right now I don’t think of Inori as anything romantic, more of a companion to Shu. She’s just been a person by his side the whole time, isn’t in natural for him to turn to her? She knows what he’s been through, his real personality and probably one of the few willing to support him and his actions. Who says they need to be mutually attracted to each other to do that? Shu’s probably still more hung over on Hare than thinking about being in romantic relationship with Inori right now.

Initially he liked her cause she was his idol but kind of dwindled away after, you know. I think traces of her feelings were sparked from Mana. As for what both feel right now, its still a bit away from you being able to call it a romance. We’re not even sure if both like each other that way. Even though Shu was the one with the crush, I’m actually more unsure about his feelings.

• February 11, 2012 at 5:12 pmDa5id

Then explain all of the scenes in the opening of them almost kissing. I’m not saying I like that they’re leading them to hooking up eventually, I’m asking why. Why the hell would they do that? It literally makes no sense.

And even as a companion, his reliance on Inori is completely baseless. Been by his side the entire time? His friends, even the ones have screwed him over numerous times, have been with him longer. She’s done nothing special for him besides letting him use her void, and now he’s doing that with the whole damn school. So far Inori’s pushed him into joining FP (“Take this. Shu Ouma, are you a coward?” Episode 1), lied to him about her belonging to him (Episode 2), told him to screw off (Episode 5), sit around his house and eat his food (Episode 7), and then expect him to save her (Episode 11). She was lucky he was stupid enough to do that much. “All I need is you, Inori. As long as you’re with me…”

Speaking of which, Shu’s no better. Hung over on Hare? He was more hung over about Inori leaving in Episode 10, and tried to rape Hare out of desperation. So basically what we’ve established about Shu at this point in the series is that when he loses someone, his near immediate reaction is rape the nearest female character. If Inori’s become anything to him at this point, she’s become his slave. And HE was lucky she’s so emotionless that she would go along with that.

I pray to god the opening is just a giant troll. Don’t you do it, I.G. Don’t you effing dare.

• February 11, 2012 at 5:35 pmChuam

Just because that’s most likely going to happen doesn’t mean it’s happened yet. :| The opening foreshadows the future, don’t expect all those details to be thrown at you at once. When they showed us evil Shu, did he appear straight away? No he didn’t. You never know what could happen during the course of events. And with the “romantic scenes” in the OP, as hot as they were, you realize that Shu’s face is the angsty kind of blank in each shot, another reason why it seems hard to read his feelings.

But do his friends know everything that happened when he was with the undertakers as well as Inori? And like you said they haven’t been the most reliable of friends with Yahiro screwing him over. Souta being a dumbass and getting Hare killed. Only person from that group he had truly was Hare. You know what happened to her. He has Ayase I guess, but unlike Inori she’s more up front, never hesitates telling Shu off just like she did this episode. And in that way I guess she’s more intimidating than Inori.

You make it sound like Hare is of no importance in comparison to Inori. lol okay. He totally didn’t have a breakdown and change in personality.

• February 11, 2012 at 6:04 pmDa5id

The point is they’re there. And if emo Shu showed up, you can bet the incest will as well. As much as I hope it won’t.

And my point in THIS paragraph was that Inori’s just as unreliable, if not more so, especially with her behavior this episode.

Also, it’s funny that you mention Ayase look at what happened to her. She speaks her mind and it’s “IF MY GOONS WERE HERE I WOULD SO KICK YOUR ASS” to the crippled girl. So he rapes the submissive ones, and retreats from the ones who are actually upfront with him about how much of a douche he’s become. Even Shinji wasn’t this bad.

And I’m saying it could have been anyone from that group, even Souta, and he would’ve turned out like this. Hell, the whole personality change should’ve come after he killed Yahiro’s brother. THEN it would have been realistic.

• February 11, 2012 at 6:32 pmChuam

Rape, incest, rape, incest. You sure like using those words a lot.

What about Inori is so unreliable? She doesn’t really need to do anything she just listens, her only job is to be a person that Shu confides in though that’s a bit exaggerated. Right now, I only think of her as a replacement for Hare. Yes, because Shu is CLEARLY aware that Inori has gonna batshit crazy.

Depends on how you read that scene. He said he was glad no one else was around otherwise they might have retaliated or expected Shu to retaliate.

For the record he hasn’t actually raped anyone.

Yeah any one of his friends could have died and he would have been upset though we’ll never know to what degree. I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue here though…The point is that he lost Hare who the only one who never did him wrong, believed in him and stayed by his side even when she saw his really bad sides. I do think that plays some factor compared to his other friends cause he lost a lot of emotional support when he lost her. Also it wasn’t until the series started that Shu started looking at Souta and Yahiro more as real friends than just people to blend in with. But yah know, they still screwed him over. He might have cared for them and trusted them, but perhaps not on the same level.

There was a bit of a breakdown after Yahiro’s brother, people were even complaining it. Oh no MORE WUSSY SHU! But Shu doesn’t know the kid. What’s going to hurt more? The death of someone you don’t know or the death of a friend.I don’t know about you but I feel like that latter would affect me much more.

• February 11, 2012 at 7:23 pmDa5id

Rape, assault, molest, SAME THING. And I will point out the incest as long as it’s there.

Did you forget the unreliable things I listed her doing BEFORE she started going crazy? She hasn’t even been a good person to confide in considering how things have ended up. She sits, listens, looks cute, and waits for Shu to pull her sword out. That’s about all she’s good for.

So what about when he has to kill Gai, the person he’s known longer than any of the other living characters, by stabbing through him to kill his own resurrected sister, who’s trying to kill everyone? HE’S EXACTLY THE SAME EVEN TWO WEEKS LATER. Then a helicopter kills Hare, a school chum who’s been there for him, telling him to be a kind person. MASSIVE PERSONALITY SHIFT. This show’s so full of inconsistencies, it’s ridiculous…

• February 11, 2012 at 7:59 pmChuam

To be technically correct, not really. To call rape, he would have actually have had to done the deed. What you’re referring to is closer to attempted molestation. lol. It’s not good, but you keep saying rape. It’s just a really vile word. About the incest, I’m still not sure enough about the characters’ origins or relationships to call it on Inori and Shu. But from Mana’s perspective, yes. She still doesn’t look like a real sister to me though even though there hasn’t been any indication otherwise. They should have designed them with more similar traits if they’re blood related.

Yet he still does and that is pretty much fact. But like I said before I think Inori is only a replacement for Hare. Shu’s only using her to vent BECAUSE she’ll just listen, she won’t retaliate and she just sits there. I doubt he expects her to give him advice or anything. When I said confiding might be an exaggeration I meant just that.

How long has Hare been dead for? I forgot. I dislike that they did the skip two weeks later because we didn’t get to see the peak of their sadness. They just showed him crying. Well all I can say is that Gai’s death was pretty much inevitable, with him dying from the virus, being wounded. But when he died, as sad as it was or whatever, it didn’t require a change in personality for Shu.

Shu wasn’t assigned as the leader back then, he had no responsibility to uphold. Compare that to Hare’s death who really just died in vain at the fault of some kids who didn’t think. If Shu is to maintain order that’s more of a reason for him to change his personality and you couple that with the remorse he felt with losing Hare and just all the shit he’s gone through in the long run. Although the change is more on the surface, then deep inside. Inside I still think he’s a person who’s weak and insecure and I think that has been more or less consistent compared to some of the other things in GC.

• February 11, 2012 at 12:07 amSummer Mist

I LOVE GUILTY CROWN!

• February 11, 2012 at 12:27 amDa5id

WELL, WELL, WELL, WHAT DO YA RECKON WE GOT HEEEEEERE?

LOOKS LIKE WE GOTS A DIFFERING OPINION

• February 11, 2012 at 12:29 amOi

That spoiler completely ruined what could have been a fun experiment!

• February 11, 2012 at 12:56 amYanDaMan

Well I guess one thing is now made clear, you cant cure an idiot.

Yes I was one of the people who always complaind about how completely obnoxious Shuu was to watch and was very happy to see him become less of a pansy from last week’s episode. But then it turns out, as Divine said, that he doesnt even have a plan, gets manipulated by Yahiro easily, and just goes about doing everything the WRONG way. I was really hoping Shuu could redeem his crappy character with Hare’s death, but apparently he became even MORE crappy and unredeemable. So congratulations. Guilty Crown is now the owner of the crappiest main lead award in anime history.

I mean another thing that irks me even more how instead of getting angry at Yahiro for lying to him about the cause of Hare’s death (voids being destroyed), after that new girl died, normally you’d think Shuu would have a reality check, but nah, he takes Argo’s void and pretty much holds him hostage, implying that he’ll break his void if he disobeys him. Like what the fuck was that? Seriously? Did he really just do that to his own comrade RIGHT AFTER he failed to save a girl, again?

I’m sorry, but Shuu is completely not redeemable at this point. He’s fallen too far. I hope this series concludes with him killed off. He’s beyond redemption now. I hope clone/revived Gai kills his ass in later episodes along with Funeral Parlors.

• February 11, 2012 at 3:04 amIrecinius

I guess things will just go downhill fast, till the end where some miracle resurrect yo ass from crystallized rock void will pop up..

• February 11, 2012 at 6:59 amJared Drake

Heh. I just remembered something. Back in the first few episodes; Gai mentioned that there were three vials with the “serum” that gives people the power to draw out voids. We’ve seen two people with that power…

Guess who’s number three? :D

Shu vs Gai.

Void vs Void.

It’s gonna be an eeeppppiiicccc… takedown of Shu. Maybe?

• February 11, 2012 at 7:24 amBeedle

Hn, looking at the pic with Gai in the tank made me realise that he’s probably not a clone- that’s the real Gai because of the blingbling! Though, the cynic in me wonders why the heck you’d let someone where their metal necklace in that tank.

In any case, Gai will probably get an upgrade and become…

Superguy!

• February 11, 2012 at 7:36 amblahblah0625

Yeah, I was one of those people who were like, “It’s one of those heroes that start out wimpy then turn great right..”
    But really? I like the creativity of this series. I would have never thought of an idea of using a weapon that materializes out of your ‘heart’ to fight with other people. I’m kinda waiting to see what happened to Daryl, only because that was a loose end they never really elaborated on.
    Still, I love Guilty Crown. Love or hate this opinion, deal with it.

• February 11, 2012 at 9:25 amAndré

Things were going so well… WHY they decided to do this? WHYYYYY?

If the next episode is no better, I’m going to drop Guilty Crow.

• February 12, 2012 at 11:51 amsealouse

Depending on how they explain Arisa I might drop this too.

• February 11, 2012 at 9:59 amdimasok

its messy and confusing and interesting nevertheless. I do have to disagree about Shu – he might pretend to be a tyrant, but that’s still the old Shu that relies on his Void for everything (can’t even have a decent fistfight…) and the the way I see it it will only make him stronger (which is what’s needed anyways…) at the end of it. Its all just an act to power him up with him choosing the less evil option at the very end

• February 11, 2012 at 2:07 pmThe Moondoggie

@Divine: People should have really been careful for what they wish for, right? I can see a lot of people agreeing with you that he’s more disagreeable right now.

Don’t get me wrong: I got what I wish for and I am in content. I actually saw this development possible a mile off because he’s an unwilling Hero from the get go. It isn’t really good forcing woobies to do something they don’t like. It’s fun watching them poke Shu and make him do stuff. Whether Shu will bite back at all of them successfully remains to be seen. But if Shu keeps spiraling down, he most likely will.

• February 11, 2012 at 6:49 pmPtolemaios00

Ugh…how can a show redeem itself ever so slightly the last few epsiodes, and then completely go to crap in just one…sigh.

Yahiro is the main culprit for this I think. He should have died or been written off long ago. Why does Shu even listen to his manipulations after everything horrible he has caused Shu? (ie. sell him off to Segai, sell out the Undertakers, suggest the completely screwed up Void rankings) I face-palmed when Kanon said “everybody changed.” I’d say Yahiro is the same dislikable bastard since the beginning.

• February 11, 2012 at 8:09 pmChuam

Yes for Yahiro being killed off?

• February 11, 2012 at 11:29 pmDa5id

Agreed. But wait for him to reveal he was a dick all along.

• February 12, 2012 at 2:14 amDa5id

• February 12, 2012 at 10:50 amJared Drake

Have you made it your life’s mission to be GC’s Devil’s advocate? Throwing crap at this show at every corner? I’m not a pissed off fanboy btw. Just curious.

• February 12, 2012 at 12:55 pmDa5id

Well…I guess you could say that, though it makes me sound like I’m kind of a troll. Which when you think about it, I kind of am, but I really do want to understand how this show is planning to explain itself. To me, the whole thing is just one huge absurdity after the next, and it…FASCINATES MEEEEEE.

• February 12, 2012 at 12:57 pmDa5id

I mean, I’m not doing this just for the sake of argument or pissing people off. I’d prefer to not piss anyone off, but I guess that’s just how these conversations go sometimes, depending on who you talk to.

• February 12, 2012 at 4:55 pmThe Moondoggie

@Da5id

It’s episode 16. Shouldn’t you have given up by now. Don’t be the same type as the people at ANN who is just nitpick and troll, no intellect. More than half of the community hates their comments. >.>

• February 12, 2012 at 7:13 pmChuam

He comments and spends more time on GC than anyone here. So I don’t think you’re too far off.

• February 12, 2012 at 10:00 pmDa5id

For god’s sake don’t lump me in with those guys.

• February 13, 2012 at 12:39 amJared Drake

My opinion? He probably loves this show more than anyone else here.

• February 13, 2012 at 12:56 amDa5id

• February 13, 2012 at 4:11 amJared Drake

Tsun-tsun Da5id, you know you love the show…

• February 13, 2012 at 10:21 amDa5id

You’re right! I love it because it’s so bad! Why is that so hard to understand?!

• February 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm@Jared

I’m thinking that even if he ever did change his mind and start liking the show just a little, he’s spent too much time and effort mocking it that it’d be a waste to turn back now. His identity in RC is basically revolves being our local GC hateboy, doubt he’s going to give up that title. Especially when he’s got all the other whiny bitches just to troll and complaining, eating out of his hand.

And Analytical and Challenging. Pffffffftttttttt.

• February 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm@Jared

*that continue to watch the show just to troll and complain

• February 13, 2012 at 6:35 pmDa5id

Oh shit, we’re still doing this, huh?

Look I made the “analytical and challenging” comment when I was had just gotten up from a nap. I know, I know, not a very good excuse, but that’s what happened.

And since when has this been about my “RC Identity”? I already listed that I liked certain aspects of the show and you’re still trying to accuse me of hating absolutely everything. You know that’s not true. Stop making this a black and white issue of simply liking it or hating it. I don’t care about my “thumb record”, I don’t care about my “internet popularity”. I’m just making an opinion. Although, I’m surprised that my opinion matters to you so much that you have to resort to insulting me personally. It’s not cool, bro. It’s not cool.

Now are we gonna keep doing this for six more weeks or what?

• February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

lol stop trying to put yourself on such a high pedestal. No one cares about your opinion, it’s the way you ‘express’ it and ever so persistently might I add.

I’m going to refrain from breaking down the rest of your post including that so called list, you know in case I hurt your feelings, but I’ll give you one thing to think about. Why of all the people on RC with negative opinions (except for the most obvious trolls obviously) are people calling you out? There are reasons.

Don’t try to paint it like I’m only thinking of it like black & white, I do know how to differentiate between a troll and someone with a negative opinion. You tend to fluctuate between the two.

Anyway I’m done with this. I don’t want to be arguing with you for the next six weeks either. :)

• February 14, 2012 at 4:39 pmDa5id

If that’s the case, then we’re both clearly misinterpreting each other here. We’ve pretty much all become trolls at this point.

Well good then. I’d rather discuss the show than feed your notions that I’m trying to be superior.

• February 12, 2012 at 6:16 amhedvix

ooohh.. now the name guilty crown make sense!

• February 12, 2012 at 10:34 amGhostalker

This is terrible, after weeks of rather good episodes here we go again, as if every good buildup to Shuu’s character was all wasted on this episode, I want a strong male LEAD!

• February 12, 2012 at 5:30 pmStranger

Screw that. Gai is now a convenient plot point, and Shu is simply an amalgation of every bad archtypical anime male lead.

I suggest we make Ayase the main character.

• February 12, 2012 at 1:47 pmI LOVE GUILTY CROWN

I LOVE GUILTY CROWN!

• February 12, 2012 at 2:48 pmDa5id

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON’T LIIIIIIIIKE Q_Q

• February 12, 2012 at 4:26 pmThe Moondoggie

What we hate we must pass over in silence…
        -real anime fan…

• February 12, 2012 at 4:38 pmDa5id

Just because it works for you, doesn’t mean it works for everyone.

-basic human logic.

• February 12, 2012 at 4:43 pmThe Moondoggie

Just because it doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean you have to ruin it for everybody else…
        -Human etiquette

• February 12, 2012 at 9:58 pmDa5id

Wow, every god damn time I make an analytical or challenging comment on this show, you get like this.

• February 12, 2012 at 10:09 pmThe Moondoggie

• February 12, 2012 at 10:20 pmThe Moondoggie

Let me make this clear for you. There is nothing analytical or challenging about any of your post. Most of them are just picking insults to the show. Trying to understand? I cannot understand which of your post is a sign that you’re trying to understand.

It has been 16 episodes, any yet you still don’t understand. You get bored and you try to troll and post things like “STOP LIKING WHAT I DON’T LIIIIIIIIKE Q_Q”…

• February 12, 2012 at 10:39 pmDa5id

Okay, I have no excuse for those. Nor do I need one. It’s my opinion. It has basis. It’s not ruining your time watching it. You’re overreacting.

• February 12, 2012 at 10:52 pmDa5id

Besides, I’ve made it clear I like certain aspects of the show. Namely:

-The animation
        -The OST
        -The characters that can keep a consistent record of behavior, as few as they are
        -The incredibly zany and off the wall ridiculousness of the plot’s attempt at direction

I would love it if this show to inevitably reach a logical and conclusive ending. If it doesn’t, I’ll love it too. If it completely falls flat on it’s face and pulls the most awful, absurd and contrived ending possible, I’ll love it all the same. But you can be damn sure I’m going to comment on how awful, absurd and contrived it is. If this show had horrible animation and character design, I wouldn’t bother. If it were boring, I wouldn’t bother. But it’s exciting in the areas I like and the plot is increasingly hilarious, and I want to see how it ends with only 6 episodes left. This is only affecting you as much as you’re going to let it.

• February 12, 2012 at 11:33 pmThe Moondoggie

First of all you have no idea how crazy you sound when you said you like “The incredibly zany and off the wall ridiculousness of the plot’s attempt at direction.” The comment is ridiculous, the idea is ridiculous. The only thing that keeps me from saying you yourself is ridiculous is that because I believe that everyone here has more intellect than the people at ANN. But clearly you haven’t shown that behavior with your antics.

IF you have been a bit light in the insults I would have overlooked them and pass it off as you just clowning around as usual. But I say you have gone too far this time.

• February 12, 2012 at 11:46 pmDa5id

*sigh*

Dude, I’m not doing this anymore. If you can’t understand the psychology behind “So Bad It’s Good”, that’s one thing. But now it’s like you’re completely blocking out every other negative comment every other person has been saying about this show and attacking me for it.

I now see a very clear pattern to our interactions, so you will be sure I will not be replying to them in the near future. You take care now.

• February 12, 2012 at 5:27 pmStranger

Guilty Crown has officially become the crack cocaine of anime: everyone knows how horrible it is, and yet we just can’t seem to quit it. There’s just something about those short, momentary highs that just keep us coming.

• February 12, 2012 at 5:30 pmThe Moondoggie

> everyone knows how horrible it is
      > implying everyone think it’s bad
      > guess again bitch!

• February 13, 2012 at 11:31 pmYanDaMan

Show’s bad.

Most people are watching just for the sake of seeing how the story ends because they been watching since the beginning of this trainwreck.

• February 14, 2012 at 6:34 amThe Moondoggie

> implying that either he has problems stopping even if his life depended on it or he’s got psychological problems about stopping.

Go think of a better excuse next time.

• February 13, 2012 at 1:02 amNorbiej

hm….i don’t get why all the hate for this show, i really loved this episode and most of them really….

• February 13, 2012 at 1:16 amSakurako

You have no idea how REFRESHING it is to read comments that AREN’T hating on the show. Like seriouly.

• February 13, 2012 at 5:02 amSummer Mist

at last, some pros of the show are finally showing-up little by little; and I agree that this is refreshing to see… I asked similar question like this with one of the previous episodes, and all I got was just downvotes and some negative replies…

• February 13, 2012 at 11:34 pmYanDaMan

This show does have good qualities. Problem is theres so much of the bad that it far outweights any good points this show will reveal in future episodes.

• February 13, 2012 at 9:02 amAshen

Okay, so Shu’s officially turned into a raving asshat (imo) and has taken the unneeded drama and unlikability of recent events and his character up to eleven. The emotionless Inori is taking a turn for the yandere, and there’s a good chance more Funeral Parlor members wil die in the near future.

My best hope for the remainder of this show is that, seeing Gai come back – either by way of Super Special Future Medicine or good ol’ fashion cloning – will mean he mercy kills Shu and/or fixes the little dumbass with a much-needed beatdown, retakes control over this debacle and utterly owns the melting pot of chaos that Tokyo has become.

I agree that while irritating and/or pathetic at times, the Shu who was a normal highschooler struggling to fit in and find courage enough to do dangerous things for the sake of a greater good was far preferrable to this antihero, overdramatic jerkwad who is STILL being manipulated like a damn marionette.
    I wouldn’t be at all surprised if in time Yahiro reveals he did all this to completely screw Shu over as revenge for killing his little brother. His “reason” for converting to Shu-ism just felt so shallow and fake to me.

God help me, I’ve still got a tiny kernal of hope for this anime turning out good. Not great, mind you, as that would be taken as a whole, but the second half might still pull out all the stops and quit with the inconsistencies and heavy-handed, hammy angst and drama.

In closing: Gai is back, thus my hope is rekindled.

• February 13, 2012 at 11:28 pmYanDaMan

This show has been too much of an incoherent trainwreck to be considered good, having one of the crappiest main lead ever doesnt help it either.

I’m just watching for the sake of seeing how it concludes, watched too much of it to just flat out drop it.

I can already see Guilty Crown getting the “Biggest Disappointment” award from Random Curiosity for 2012.

• February 13, 2012 at 11:49 pmDa5id

THANK YOU.

• February 13, 2012 at 9:05 amAshen

D’oh. Forgot to add: Now where the fsck if Kenji? Y’know, the convicted murderer Funeral Parlor risked life, limb and loyalty to set free? Who possesses a gravity controlling Void and is perfectly capaple of slaughtering his enemies? i.e. THE GUY YOU’D WANT IN A BATSH** CRAZY SITUATION LIKE THIS?!

• February 14, 2012 at 2:51 amhoiut

Oh yeah, him. I almost forgot we wrote him into the show awhile back. I’ll get back to you on that. Soon.

Until next time!
      -writing staff

• February 14, 2012 at 4:50 pmThe Moondoggie

Why would you want an anti-gravity gun at a time like this? The best one to use right now would be a time-machine(unlikely) or a city-wide EMP device(a more realistic approach since Voids don’t run on electricity like Endlaves).

• February 14, 2012 at 3:44 amYoyo

If Arisa is really dead, then there is nobody left for me to sympathize with in this anime.

• February 16, 2012 at 1:20 pmBeedle

Finally got around to watching this episode (lulz yeah, I’m late to the party) and I realised… this episode isn’t that bad o_o well, if you ignore everything that happened in the previous episodes, anyways.

I mean, and I’m not being sarcastic here, if I can watch Aquarion Evol’s Mugen Punch, etc and take it as it is, not looking too deeply how such feats are possible, then this episode isn’t bad, and Shu became quite likeable o_0 odd, right?

Argo came off as an idealistic ass though. Still, at least at the moment, I don’t think Shu has the balls to kill off Argo in cold blood, so I’m at least hoping that our heavily disliked protagonist has a decent scheme up his sleeves…

As far as this episode is concerned, I pity Shu. He’s going to get mindraped so badly in the coming episodes, what with how everyone is playing him!

btw, where can I get myself that scarf?

• « Older Comments