Guilty Crown – 18 »« Guilty Crown – 16

Guilty Crown   17   28 Guilty Crown   17   29 Guilty Crown   17   30
Guilty Crown   17   31 Guilty Crown   17   32 Guilty Crown   17   33
Guilty Crown   17   34 Guilty Crown   17   35 Guilty Crown   17   36
Guilty Crown   17   37 Guilty Crown   17   38 Guilty Crown   17   39

「革命 exodus」 (Kakumei)
“Revolution”

Well if there’s one thing about Guilty Crown that never disappoints, it would be its ability to surprise. Granted, that’s largely because I can’t see where the writers are going with a story that has a severe identity crisis, but hey, I can’t say I’m opposed to the idea that we have a new antihero protagonist and a new heroine to go with him. I jest of course, though I do have to question the necessity of Arisa’s bed favors with Nanba (voiced by Sakaguchi Shuuhei and deserves a proper mention now), other than the obvious objectification of her body for viewers to fantasize about. While it did fit within the context of the story given her traumatic encounter with “Inori” and not having anyone she could turn to, I just couldn’t help but see it as a blatant “sex grab” considering the “subjectively dire” state of the series itself. Whatever the case, seeing Arisa fall from being the supportive ex-president to the ringleader behind the coup d’état did bring about the situation that I was hoping to see, where the students got fed up with Shuu and told him to go to hell with his arrogant king crap.

Admittedly, I was even getting somewhat annoyed by how Shuu was so full of himself, after hearing him try to comfort Inori by saying he’s the king, and then later scream out about his power of kings when Gai came strolling in all white-haired and red-eyed and put Shuu in his place by cutting off his arm. “My arm!!!” I can understand. “My power of kings!!!” on the other hand made me want to kick Shuu over if he didn’t fall over himself. I can’t say I feel much of any sympathy for him, even though it’s pretty clear that Shuuichirou, Yuu, and Gai are up to no good either and will probably seize control of the Leukocyte satellite weaponry and turn on the United Nations (judging from the preview). The writers have just made it so hard to like any of the characters in this series, simply because there’s no consistency behind their behavior. Just take Yahiro for example, who was all on Shuu’s case last time about how he has no choice but to hide that fact that people die when their Void is destroyed, and then tell him here that he’s getting too carried away. Somehow Yahiro then gets kicked to the curb and is potentially the character to start supporting? Yeah… I’m not getting on that bandwagon. Even Tsugumi’s rubbed me the wrong way, leaving only Argo and Ayase as my last two glimmers of hope. I sometimes wonder if the producers themselves are undecided about whom to develop into a character that everyone can get behind and in the process have left us with no one — no one that’s alive anymore anyway (*sniff*).

As for the plot twist involving Gai’s return, I’m fairly apprehensive on getting too worked up about anything at this point and mainly taking a wait-and-see approach on whether the series can redeem itself in some way, so aside from some decent shock value that dwindled fairly quickly, I’ll reserve judgement on everything else until I see where it leads us. I can’t really see Shuu regaining his power now that Gai’s finally taken it (rather conveniently at that), so I’d be really surprised if the writers are ballsy enough to write him off as the main protagonist from hereon in. Otherwise, I’m more or less expecting Shuu and Inori to dig their way out of their rut and back into the main spotlight later on to heavily impact the ending in some way. For now, I will say that I’m liking an evil Gai and an evil Arisa much more than an evil Shuu, simply because I do feel somewhat sympathetic toward them. The same goes for Souta, whom I agree did nothing by turning on Shuu.

* Full-length images: 05, 06, 07, 08, 18, 20, 22, 26, 27, 30, 35, 38.

Guilty Crown   17   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   17   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   17   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

End Card

Guilty Crown   17   End Card 01
February 17, 2012 at 12:35 am
  • February 17, 2012 at 11:11 amAshen

I can openly admit I took tremendous, almost sadistic glee in seeing everyone turn on Shu and Inori, especially when Arisa outted herself as the instigator. But best of all was Gai’s ominous return and his utter domination of “King Ouma.” I was practically cheering when he positively owned Shu by slicing off the latter’s arm and reclaming what was “always meant” for the leader of Funeral Parlor. Too cool, man. Just too cool.

I’m definitely behind this new deadly tagteam of Arisa/Gai, and while I know there’s next to zero chance of this – as you said – a part of me is hoping the writers grow a spine and keep Shu and Annoyri from “redeeming” themselves and stealing the spotlight by the end. It would be a stellar turnaround if the wide-eyed Everyman and his Emotionless Fetish Girlfriend became the tragic corrupted “sacrifices of war,” while the fellow infected by the Apocalypse Virus and the sheltered (and now traumatized) princess turn out to be the saviors of the world and ‘complete’ people as a result. Uwaaah! Be still, my delicate heart!

• February 17, 2012 at 12:07 pmEinander

I feel sorry for Shu. How did he deserve any of this? The entire story has been about pounding Shu down, to the point of almost being mean-spirited about it. There’s a laser focus on making him suffer.

I mean, let’s go down the list during this series.

- Sister goes insane, causing Shu to accidentally trigger Lost Christmas
    - *Knows* he caused Lost Christmas by accident
    - Lost sister, best friend, and (apparently) father during Lost Christmas
    - Represses memories of Lost Christmas
    - Trauma causes him to lose all self-confidence and ability to relate to people
    - Is repeatedly condemned, by himself and others, for being unable to save Inori from soldiers with assault rifles while completely unarmed
    - Is given superpowers he doesn’t want that make him a wanted man
    - Friend betrays him to GHQ after explicit promise not to
    - Despite joining Funeral Parlor to protect and stay with Inori, it turns out that she was lying to him
    - Has his rebuilding confidence shattered by being forced to mercy-kill a friend’s little brother
    - Is forced to participate in combat operation while in the middle of a mental breakdown and blamed for poor performance afterward
    - Has a grand total of one person willing to stand by him while he’s in the middle of a breakdown
    - Is called a pathetic coward and abandoned by allies due to said breakdown
    - Manages to pull self together in a crisis and stop Lost Christmas 2: Crystal Boogaloo, but regains all repressed memories, discovers jerkass leader of rebellion was actually best friend, and has to kill his best friend and his sister *again*
    - GHQ quarantines area and prepares to exterminate everyone in it, including Shu, remaining terrorists, and
    - Despite all of this, manages to deal with stress pretty well until he’s appointed president due to superpowers, despite being completely unsuited for the job
    - People do incredibly stupid thing due to friend’s sloppiness with important paperwork; primary means of emotional support dies horrible, horrible death
    - Has breakdown number 3 in-series and decides to do whatever he has to in order to keep people safe
    - Is hated by self and others for incredibly cruel things like making people peel potatoes (the horror) and rationing supplies that are actually limited
    - It turns out that his trusted advisor and former traitor was lying to him about incredibly important fact related to the superpowers that are currently central to his plans; if fact gets out, everything is likely to fall apart
    - Fact gets out
    - Only remaining means of emotional support is gradually being overwritten by crazy dead virus sister
    - ‘Trusted’ advisor tries to convince him to get rid of said emotional support; this reignites Shu’s trust issues and strips him of yet another source of assistance
    - GHQ is, all the while, conspiring to break him down; his stepmother is working with them
    - During plan, things go wrong, enemy attacks ahead of schedule, people die
    - Executes plan, saves everyone, is promptly betrayed
    - Dead best friend chops arm off and steals his superpowers, then leaves him to die

Throughout, he’s had two people be genuinely supportive: Hare, who is completely powerless and then dies, and Inori, who has been equally loyal to Gai for two-thirds of this time and has been gradually going insane the other third. Ayase would count after 13 if she was actually allowed to help, but Tsugumi has been consistently blocking her there. He is aware of his issues, unable to deal with them, and repeatedly forced into situations where they actively cripple his ability to perform.

And he deserves this. People seriously say this is his fault, and he deserves this? What the fuck, guys? He could be the incarnation of all the evils in the world and he wouldn’t deserve this.

• February 17, 2012 at 1:09 pmAvalanche

I’m glad I’m not the only one who pities him. I wonder if “My Dearest” could be seen as foreshadowing?

“One day someone will call you a liar,
      if they try to hurt you with those heartless words,
      if the world won’t even believe in you,
      if they try to put on a crown of thorns,
      I’ll be your one and only ally…
      I know that loneliness and pain…”

• February 17, 2012 at 1:18 pmClick

The incompetent writers can make Shuu a sponge for punishment all they want, but without proper execution it’s nothing. For the most part, Shuu and every other character have been complete and utter slaves to the plot, so the “tragedies” which befall Shuu have much less effect, as his characterization is very, very poor. Since Shuu and his allies all have quite some rather inconsistent behavior and since the plot is definitely not doing any favors for their likability at all, the characters appear much less sympathetic towards the audience, especially since it’s so hard to relate to such completely inhuman, robot-like characters. There has been no event in the entire span of Guilty Crown so far which has been well executed. Even with Guilty Crown’s numerous cliches, if the story was executed properly with relatable characters and a sensible plot, most viewers would able to watch without feelings of nauseousness each time the drama rolls along. Proper execution is everything, and Guilty Crown can’t even establish likable, sensible characters for the audience to sympathize with. That’s why so many people hate Shuu despite him being “tortured,” and that’s why so many say he deserves all of this.

Plus, he’s like indirectly killed tons of students, brah.

• February 17, 2012 at 3:29 pmAvalanche

The point that is trying to get across is don’t get pissed at Shuu for the writer’s incompetence at conveying whatever the hell they are trying to convey. Yes, the plot is abstract, and we have very little character development. We still don’t know why Ayane is in a wheel chair, or what reasons the members of Funeral Parlor had for joining. We already passed the point where those things can be added into the story.

It is obvious that the viewers who loathe the show outnumber those who don’t, but getting angry something out of our control is kinda petty. What is the point of making it uncomfortable for those who don’t dislike the show. There is probably a better way to word that

Also, what else was he supposed to do? People were going to die regardless. Yes, they could have executed it better like have all of the long distance Voids attack first before the melee types attacked. He did save a few by taking out a couple of mechs before going through with the operation.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:45 pmClick

Unrelatable characters are hard to empathize with though, no matter how much torture has been thrown their way. So it’s not really surprising that so many people are pissed off at Shuu, especially with his actions as of late, no, the entire series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Also, if people are getting pissed off at the characters, just brush them off. Pay them heed if it really bothers you :P. Or uh, get mad at them or something if they’re really worth it, lol (seriously though). Expressing rage at a poor character is the same as expressing feelings of admiration or joy for a character who is worthy of it. Most people are completely anal about people being anal about things they like, but really, they’re the same kind of people: they’re just expressing their feelings on whether something is either praise-worthy or rage-inducing. And this going to sound ultra-pretentious, but crap is just as inspirational as perfection; while perfection brings forth feelings of contentedness and delight, crap can draw in feelings of disgust, or better yet, blinding red hot fury. Viewers wouldn’t come back week after week if they felt completely neutral.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        And oh yeah, nice catch with song. Seriously, I can’t believe that I didn’t even recognize that.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:11 amBR_Impulse

Excellent summary of the events Einander! All of the events you described are what I’ve been telling my own friends about Shuu who don’t feel anything for him. The guy has been victimized and betrayed constantly by pretty much everyone save for Hare (who’s KIA) and Ayase (who gets blocked to no end thanks to her wheelchair not being powered enough to run people over who stand in her way), starting even before the series began with the Lost Christmas incident itself. I really can’t believe that so many people hate him on these boards too. It doesn’t seem like they think about the points you’ve listed. Let’s see if any of us could even handle these compounding events when your life is in such a mess and continues spiraling downwards. Placed in his situations with a personality like his where he’s just trying to be accepted and do what should lead to the highest majority of his friends/students surviving, I don’t really see better alternatives to his actions seeing how unruly his stupid school ended up being. Like yes, one can argue as to why he’d put those two retards as special service who tried to strip Ayase but think that there may may have been motivation to keep everyone else in check with fear when faced with a lack of ‘disciplinary figures’ (a stretch, but still a possibility). One may also argue that he shouldn’t have implemented the distinction system (I wish he didn’t either in the current state) and instead organized them all into squads like the military in the sense that there would be teams for special operations (i.e. assault, medic, support, defence, communications, etc. <- someone in a previous GC post mentioned this point and I completely agree). But then you'd require everyone to not be panicking and have good, charismatic leaders that you trust, can create order, and also maintain it. And well, this doesn't really exist for Ouma Shuu because of his situation and circle of 'friends' and lack of support/resources. He was never the type to lead in the first place as well, and hey, even he knows that already! Why people can just assume that he can become an amazing leader overnight given his trackrecord in those grave event situations listed when most of us in real life cave in if there's a major calamity is beyond me. Just because you have power doesn't give you infinite confidence. He isn't invincible as you all just saw with his arm being cut off, so why would you even think he'd magically gain an infinite amount of leadership qualities and confidence? He never even started off with the intrinsic drive to do anything short of existing as a boring person, but was forced into his situation and did what he did out of necessity. And we know that not being motivated reduces your efficiency and chances for success in virtually all real-life cases, and that equally applies here.

Also, for anyone who says (including Divine) "I can't believe he didn't say "MY ARM!" instead of "MY POWER OF THE KINGS!", if you understand his situation, you'll know why he said that and why it fits well. The man feels completely useless to the fact that he couldn't get or maintain any respect or trust from anyone, regardless of what he did. Be nice? Get pissed on (recall Argo saying "We liked you when you were trying so hard and were a weakling (paraphrased)". Be 'evil' and get betrayed and hated anyway(not really evil as you know he was wavering when he talked to Inori in that indoor garden, and knowing that he was just doing what he needed to do to ensure most of them lived, which they did BTW, as even Souta's still alive and the escape operation was a 'success'). So now that his last ounce of power to gain any respect and trust is gone(that isn't all powerful as we know) is stripped from him, what's he now? That's right. Less than when he started, because now he doesn't even have his whole right arm. Oh, and he's dying most likely from blood loss with insane pain.

Tl;dr: For the Shuu haters, think about the events surrounding him as Einander pointed out. Then think about if the hate towards him is justified and if you can do any better without still making enemies, pleasing everyone, and getting everyone out alive. If you still want to hate him, feel free to do so. We know that he is not perfect and made some very questionable decisions, acted in certain ways that are not black and white good or evil, but all had underlying motivations. Even with the poor execution of the story by the scriptwriters, do understand that the plot's core events have not changed and can be viewed independently from the execution.

As an end-note, this has been a ridiculous series I do agree, and I'm hanging on to see this through for what I really hope to be a satisfying conclusion. I really want Shuu to regain his power and go nuclear on absolutely everyone. That's probably the only thing that would put me at some ease.

• February 17, 2012 at 12:34 pmPtolemaios00

So much fail during the first half with Shu being a complete idiot. Yes, he finally told off Yahiro, but waaaaay too late. I mean where was that rage at “Sugar” last episode when choosing between Argo and Yahiro.

So much WIN in the last few minutes. Gai is the true main character!
    I know Shu is probably going to get back in somehow, but I can dream…

• February 17, 2012 at 1:12 pmPen3

After killing of the sexy Hare there was still the high class pretty girl Arisa. Now that they turned her into a slut i no longer have a reason to watch this shitty show anymore.

• February 19, 2012 at 4:15 pmhoiut

At least you didn’t lose your fapping arm.

• February 17, 2012 at 1:30 pmn0216332

i know exactly what’s going on in the series… but i am still confused as hell :/

• February 17, 2012 at 2:00 pmMisty17

I loved that Gai came back with (White Hair)
    I love it!

• February 17, 2012 at 2:02 pmBobet01

good thing i stop watching GC, based from the comments here and on last week everything is such a mess.. I don’t want to waste my time watching, guess i’ll wait for it to end and watch it again from ep 1.

• February 17, 2012 at 2:15 pmDa5id

Did anyone go back and listen to the OST recently? There’s two songs that are all about friendship and rebelling with friends and stuff. One of them is the song that goes with every preview.

Now, whenever I listen to them, I’ll be thinking of this episode. Forever.

• February 17, 2012 at 2:34 pmbobbylee

Wow another episode full of Shit.
    I’m just waiting for this to end so I can store it on my SSD and never have to touch it again.

• February 17, 2012 at 2:36 pmPen3

why would you use ssd as storage…

• February 17, 2012 at 2:37 pmAndré

“How to destroy an anime series in 3 episodes”… This should the name of the last 3 episodes of Guilty Crown.

• February 17, 2012 at 2:59 pmDarkRyter

I have little to no grasp on my own feelings toward this show.
    Do I like it? Do I not like it? I’m still watching it, but I don’t feel happy or anything. And I want to watch the next episode alot, but I’m not really looking forward to it.

But I do know one thing. I pity Shu. Not hate(maybe hate), not sympathy(maybe sympathy), not annoyance(maybe a little, I really don’t fucking know), but pity for this guy and his sorry ass life.

• February 17, 2012 at 3:15 pmlukele

i totally disagree with this entire post i’d kill arisa slap gai and shot everyone else

• February 17, 2012 at 3:49 pmSoft

Did anyone else notice the slight changes in the opening?

• February 17, 2012 at 3:51 pmL002

I am fairly interested in where did the idea of Sugar came from. It seems really out of place. Needless to say, “Sugar” isn’t going to around much since it seems Inori next episode is comforting Shuu.

I am fairly disappointed with how this episode showed us the arm of void users. While it did indeed look cool in how they all fight like that, frozen screen and all, they didn’t showed us any new abilities. As we saw so far, we know that some voids have the power of distorting gravity, making copies, healing, and more, we barely saw a single new ability despite the army shown to us. Not to mention had Shuu not destroyed that tower they may have all died.

Needless to say, it seems Gai is going to do something. I am wondering if Funeral Parlor is going to be resurrected or not.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:01 pmKana

Sugar? Sugar was Yahiro’s code name when he was a drug dealer the time that he sold out Shu. Shu called him that to show how little trust he has for Yahiro, unless you were confused about something else?

• February 17, 2012 at 9:34 pmL002

Oh right, thanks I forgot about that. For a sec I though Shu was speaking in a non-sensical gangster talk.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:01 pmHungryKoala

God, I hope Souta dies soon in a horrible manner.

He’s been an idiot throughout the entire show, and was the main cause for Hare’s death. But since his body is starting to crystalize, it seems like he wont be around for much longer.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:03 pmKana

You know I actually liked him in the beginning and thought he would be one of my favourite characters seeing as I love the genki archtype. Boy was I mistaken.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:27 pmSeaDirac

Really think the title should be NTR Crown instead, the kid gets ntr’d every other episode.

• February 18, 2012 at 6:16 amCroos

You should watch Aquarion EVOL. Its more NTR than GC.

• February 17, 2012 at 4:36 pmSummer Mist

“what happened to Triton?! you were my bestfriend!”

• February 17, 2012 at 5:08 pmskylion

Wow, this episode really took it up a notch in dreadful plot evolution, terrible script, and telegraphed action. Dreadful, even by it’s standards. About the only thing it has going for it, is that is tries to display many sides of a truly awful situation; not a single soul among the main kara get out of this untainted or unscathed. This would be a good, tense programme to watch, if the kara were dreadful horrible people to begin with. They really aren’t. So we are left with watching bad things happen to some people we feel anything from a mild interest to a loathing hate for. My only hope is that they will pull something positive out of this; that someone gets thru as intact as possible. Otherwise, it’s a dreadful show about dreadful things. They could have handled it better.

• February 17, 2012 at 5:20 pmWuz

Shuu loosing his arm to Gai? I need to pick up this series again, it seems.

• February 17, 2012 at 5:29 pmThe Moondoggie

Come on, celebrate all you want on Gai’s stupid return. When Shu gets his new void it would be comparable to Ideon Gun.

@Shinji, who suggested me to watch SR Ideon: Thank you.

• February 17, 2012 at 5:31 pmMMBinNC

Anyone else find it extremely convenient that just cutting off Shuu’s arm makes the “Power of the King” transfer? wtf? hy didn’t they just try to do that before? Also the “My power of kings” exclamation made me pray that Shuu would just get killed right there and we find a new protagonist. Next week it’s probably back to Shuu the bitch again…all depressed and shit. Ayase will probably be like, “It’s not the power that made you the leader, it’s something inside you” or some BS. They are making this series so cliched.

• February 17, 2012 at 6:03 pmUnFear

Looking at all these comments I have to wonder if most of you decide the quality of a show depending on how likeable the characters are instead of the entertainment value and emotional rises it gets out of you. GC definitely has its flaws, all too many cringe-worthy ones in the first half, but lately it’s been a pretty solid show all around.

Many of the comments decry how characters seem to flip-flop in terms of personality but to me they’ve actually done a decent job developing the characters into who they turned out to be. Arisa was afraid for her life and couldn’t trust Shu who seemed to have gone mad with power, Yahiro was trying to keep everyone alive and make it up to Shu by supporting him and Souta’s an idiot who earned Shu’s wrath and felt he had gone too far venting it all out on him.

Shu was never cut out to be a leader but everyone forced him into the role and despite not doing the job perfectly, he did his best to make sure as many people got out alive. He’s lost WAY more than his fair share, has had far more reason to be afraid of his actions and was quite aware of how badly he was treating everyone to keep them alive. He got them out, it was a miracle more of them didn’t die and there wasn’t anyone else who could have done better for them. I can’t condemn the guy for what he did and I certainly can’t say that he deserved the betrayal at the end regardless how justified their anger at him was.

As for the angry mob, I’d like to believe that people wouldn’t act as stupid and as ungrateful as that in real life but when you’re dealing with that sort of mob mentality and all that pent up anger, it’s not so hard to see that humans can be so ugly. Everyone pretty much snapped under pressure and just couldn’t see past their own problems. I really hope they at least show some nameless character who had enough sense to not turn on Shu.

• February 17, 2012 at 6:39 pmRakkyo

IMHO the characters are what makes the story. So having annoying asshole characters makes me feel that the show is annoying and a pain in the ass to watch. That, or maybe this is what the production team is aiming for.

• February 17, 2012 at 6:46 pmAndré

Entertainment value and emotional rises? Well, I don’t really get entertained when I’m following a plot that is over the place and feels really, I said REALLY, amateur, with characters that now are reacting in a completely unrealistic and retarded away. There only one word that can describe the present state of Guilty Crown’s story: irrational.

The only emotional rise that I get from the last 3 episodes of Guilty Crown is a sensation of being impressed; impressed with how bad a plot can get in just 3 episodes, with this last episode being worst of them – showing all the students going against Shuu and Gai appearing in the last scene; this is not a surprise like Divine said, this is just a cheap trick used by authors who don’t really know how lead a story anymore.

Guilty Crown started as mediocre anime, then it got somewhat decent and, now, well, now it just had one of the shittiest episodes that I’ve ever seen since 1994, when I started watching anime.

I’m pretty much done with Guilty Crown. I’m not watching it anymore.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:06 pmUnFear

>unrealistic
        If you’re referring to the backstab ,there have been plenty of instances in history where people acted irrationally out of fear and anger. Shu’s sudden king treatment however does seem to skip several bouts of logic since he doesn’t have anywhere near enough charisma to bring that. Worst case imo wasn’t anywhere recent but when Shu convinced everyone to help him rescue a terrorist organization because they made him feel good about himself. That’s when you should have had enough of Guilty Crown’s bad writing.

>retarded
        I had a comment for this but it’d invite too much unwanted natter.

>bad plot
        The backstab was only irrational on the students’ part, it still makes sense plotwise. Gai’s revival/clone… I’m waiting on seeing why they revived him before I pass out judgment.

• February 17, 2012 at 10:16 pmInori

~I found you….~

• February 17, 2012 at 6:52 pmDa5id

So basically, everyone was in the wrong place and wrong position at the wrong time? I agree with that much, which makes me wonder: was the point of this series to make clear that people are awful, stupid and will betray you at every turn?

At this point, my biggest peeve is how fast it took for things to get this bad. This episode spans about a week, and added with last week’s comes to about two weeks under Shu as leader, which is about the same time between Episodes 12 and 13. And the biggest thing that was the cause of this bi-weekly downward spiral wasn’t the implementation of the Void Ranking System, but saying that a Void meant the value of the person. There were so many other ways to go about it that wouldn’t have to end in that, but Yahiro was just way too dumb or sketchy to look for one. Thus, Shu having no leader qualifications and completely dependent on other people’s orders went along with it the moment it became clear that people’s lives were in danger.

You’re right in saying that it’s caused a huge emotional reaction, but not so much of one that the scene makes any sense afterwards. By the end of this episode I hated almost everyone there. Shu was idiotic for forcing fear into his subordinates to do work and not making full use of his resources to save lives (Tsugumi’s decoy making Void would have saved tons), the subordinates were awful for turning on the guy who managed to keep them in line and alive (no matter how poorly), Arisa was deplorable for relying on Gai and GHQ to save them and organizing the coup, Souta was pretty much brain dead for everything he did since episode 13, and so on.

So when I look at Shu now, I don’t see the absolute worst person in the world. I actually never did. It’s just he was a stupid guy who was pushed into a leader position by stupid masses, then handled it stupidly, and then was turned on by the same stupid people. Again, I don’t know who to be more disappointed with. So I’ll just be disappointed with all of them.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:22 pmUnFear

I think they’re just trying to sell a story. Think Hamlet; everyone dies, everyone’s a dick, the main character is terribly unlikeable and yet it’s a classic that lasted hundreds of years and still sells shows. Maybe they do have something of a social commentary going on but I wouldn’t peg that as their main focus.

As for their situation, I couldn’t have laid it out any better. Best person for the job just wasn’t good enough for everyone and his support couldn’t make up for the slack. I myself don’t feel anything for the characters but pity for Shu. They really don’t make much of an impression as characters really.

• February 17, 2012 at 8:30 pmDa5id

Guilty Crown: So Bad It’s Hamlet?

I mean, I haven’t read or watched Hamlet in almost a year, so I can’t say if I can compare the characters in terms of situations. I’m pretty sure (and this is just my interpretation), Hamlet entered the story with a reason to be crazy and vengeful (his uncle killed his father and married his mother), and a goal to get out of it (become king) and the story mainly revolved how obsession with revenge can drive a man insane, while Shu just wanted to do something with his life to stop hating himself, and so far the story’s been about how people (and the fans) expect way too much of him and act rashly when he doesn’t preform to their expectations. That said, the standards of a pop anime and a hundreds year old play are pretty different, as well as the standards of material. That’s not to say that obscure and “out-there” stories in anime are bad. On the contrary, they’re usually praised nowadays. In fact this was the first complaint this series got: it was too similar. I just think there could have been an easier and less cringe-worthy way to get the point across that didn’t make us just want everyone to die from a tactical nuke. Like making some of the character’s motives a little more clear, so you know what everyone’s trying to accomplish, or making characters look better instead of just making them look good by comparison.

Now, if this was an intentional move by the creators to get a huge negative reaction out of people watching it, (which I highly highly doubt, but we’ll see) then that’s probably the biggest and most meta mindfuck accomplishment in anime history. If this was an complete accident, well…I’ll let the rest of the comments on this page speak for themselves.

• February 18, 2012 at 5:25 pmDude

Your last paragraph sums it up.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:24 pmfragb85

It all boils down to pacing. The idea of tragic character rising to power and then falling from grace is a good one but a kind of story like this requires emotional investment to its characters. That requires actual build up to feel the characters what they are going through. How they ended up like that is the most interesting part of such a story.

That’s the problem, Shu rise to power, tragic turn to a tyrant, and fall-from-grace happened in three 24-minute episodes. They basically just jumped to Shu being evil like an on/off switch and we’re supposed to accept that. I don’t feel anything. I have no empathy because all we see is the result and the barest of handwaves of how the ended up like that.

GC shot itself in the foot by wasting time in its first half. Look back on the first 12 episodes and ask what did it really do for the second half of the story? Even now after 17 episodes the actual plot is still vague.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:34 pmThe Moondoggie

This is why I don’t get “the plot is forced” comments: They all acted the way they should be.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:10 amRamen

People need a series to hate on for every season, it’s a natural trend

• February 18, 2012 at 2:25 amThe Moondoggie

I get that…. But this level of trolling? :(

Oh well. I guess I’ll just prepare my surprise for the end of the series.

Be sure not to be here on that day….

• February 18, 2012 at 2:45 amBeedle

This level of trolling and character hate exists because the emotional wreck Shu did not live to the viewer’s expectations when the series started out with the typical setup of its genre o/

• February 18, 2012 at 2:56 amThe Moondoggie

He lived with mine. He has done what I expected of him. The dark crazy evil part is what I have seen of him, long before this arc. And he had done well.

That reason is enough for me to like this. And to believe that he doesn’t deserve this level of trolling.

• February 17, 2012 at 6:18 pmTre

I always think there will be a greater amount of people who dislike Gai.

But then I read comments on this show, and I quickly realize just how much people enjoy following others instead of leading themselves.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:24 pmThe Moondoggie

Sheeps? Or Zergs?

• February 17, 2012 at 7:31 pmTre

Sheep, that have been assimilated by Zerg, and led by a genetically perfect, charismatic, and long haired ubermensch bishounen.

• February 18, 2012 at 1:12 amThe Moondoggie

I wonder which is worse: the Sheep Zerg hybrid or the genetically perfect, charismatic, and long haired ubermensch bishounen.

• February 17, 2012 at 7:08 pmvirox

It’s like every good character who turns bad has to lose an arm sooner or later

• February 17, 2012 at 8:08 pmRakkyo

To anyone trying to make sense of the characters’ actions, here’s what I was feeling like by the end of the episode.

LOOK, EVERYONE’S GONE NUTS! WOOOHOOOOO! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• February 17, 2012 at 8:28 pmSeaDirac

• February 17, 2012 at 8:42 pmNever

Well, since no one has said it from what I can see. I shall then say it.
    Shu can’t draw voids off people who are above 17.
    Episode 17 comes and at the end, he most likely wouldn’t be able to draw voids for the next episode.
    COINCIDENCE?

• February 17, 2012 at 8:55 pmTveryah

Reading the comments, I was surprised by all the Shu-hatred, because while everyone was pissed at him from the beginning (myself included at times) considering the situations he’s been put into his behavior doesn’t really surprise me.

Think about it this way, here we have a high school kid who randomly one day finds a chick in his den (or whatever the hell that thing is) and ends up getting guns pointed at him. He didn’t play the hero, he did what any high school kid who had a peaceful life would have done-he got freaking terrified.

Then he gets onto a battle field, gets some ridiculously weird powers, and gets used as an awkward tool by a terrorist group, gets betrayed and sent to prison, finds out Inori was manipulating him on behalf of Gai for the sake of using his power, Promises to save a kid after maturing and finally gaining some confidence in himself who then asks to be killed, goes through withdrawals, finally regains the horrible memories he’s been repressing for years, watches one of the few people who sincerely supports him get kidnapped, and then watches Gai die and his entire city get destroyed.

Then he ended up trapped in his school, His mom totally abandons him, he realises how stupid his classmates are being and calms them down, they end up pushing him into a leadership position he never wanted, he ends up just being a puppet AGAIN and gets pressured to implement a system he doesn’t like, his dumbass classmates do something wreckless, he loses the person who sincerely cared about him and liked him from the very start of all this because of it, He becomes stricter to make sure the students are in his control and dont do anything stupid again because of Hare’s death, he puts on the act of an asshole in order to protect everyone (yes, it was an act, we all know Shu is really a puss), he ends up being successful in breaking through, he gets betrayed after risking his life, and then his former best friend who’s back from the dead cuts off his arm.

This entire is show is just Shu getting fucked over and over and over and over. It’s like the creators just want to him to suffer as much as possible. I dont think he’s as horrible a character as people say. Yes, it’s very inconsistent for his personality to change so much, but then again he was unstable even before the series began with his memory repression. In the end, he’s the guy who wants to be the person everyone likes, tries to be and fails, then he realises it wont work and tries to take the iniative himself, but that fails too. In the end his problem is he puts too much value in other people’s perceptions of him or who other people are. As cliche as it is, he needs to just be Shuu, and stop trying to be Gai. Who just cut off his arm, so I dont think Shuu is too happy about Gai being back.

• February 17, 2012 at 9:04 pmSoren

I have to agree with some of the more moderate opinion of the show. It is true that the execution warrants some criticism, but the perspective I adopt is to treat the development in somewhat the abstract. As others have noted up thread, you can draw an understandable trend of why Shu is acting as he is right from the beginning of the show. Is it outlandish? Sure, but on a coarse resolution, I think the writers’ have achieved the objective of instilling a potent mixture of hatred and loathesome pity towards Shu despite the desperate, sloppy attempt at maintaining an ecosystem that analogously combine the sheer insanity of Battle Royale with the psychological dynamics of something say Lord of Flies. The entire first arc, I found, was just to really undermine Shu as a protagonist but also to underscore a pathos of incredulity and hatred towards him who is not only extremely pathetic but by all accounts, a person whose characterization should not be anywhere near the archetype of a sympathetic protagonist, even on the anti-hero level.

But thanks to the topsy turvy writing, the unintended consequence was an amplification of that irrationality and imbue it in almost every aspect of the character setting and interaction. What was supposed to be a pretty straightforward “mico-macro” exposition in the “Red Line” arc, that is, the psychological downfall in Shu reflected in the societal breakdown of his “kingdom,” became a inexplicable maelstrom of hysteria, comical zaniness, and off-the-wall mass psychosis. Thus, that entire breakdown as a supposed means of driving the plot became a caricature of itself.

All of it becomes one big messy projection of irrationality beyond the design of the story. It is almost as if though everyone, writers, audience, and characters are just all being thrown in the chaos and being compelled to bring any sort of sensibleness to this series. And understandably, that should really tick people off, but that reaction itself to the sheer incredulity and irrationality of it all is part and parcel with the entire experience. In many ways, that is why I don’t mind sitting through some these series because I just hold on to my hat and laugh my way down the rabbit hole even it means I wind up in “It’s so bad, it is good”-Land.

With regards to Biblical reference of The Whore of Babylon with respect to Arisa, I was thinking more along the lines of Judith and stories of her from the book after her name in the Old Testament.

• February 17, 2012 at 9:34 pmnoobite

LOL, 300+ comments within a day. There are so many GC tsundere in this site.

• February 17, 2012 at 9:37 pmThe Moondoggie

300% tsun 0% dere….

Worse than Kirino, the greatest bitch in anime? …ckeck…

• February 17, 2012 at 10:01 pmSummer Mist

“it’s not that we like it or something” … :}

• February 17, 2012 at 10:30 pmMash

I mostly lurk and read funny comments cuz im a kuudere

• February 17, 2012 at 10:41 pmDa5id

Don’t you need at least some genuine non-ironic interest in something to be tsundere towards it?

• February 18, 2012 at 12:54 amBeedle

300+ comments in a day; was Code Geass even like this? Not even Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari were like this D:

Man, I wonder what the DVD/BD sales are like for this anime. Assuming every unique post here is by someone that watched each episode instead of trolling around with a mob mentality, GC’s done an amazing job in capturing the audience, whether it be “because it’s pretty!” or “because the music is awesome!”, so this has to be a success from a business standpoint, right?

• February 18, 2012 at 1:21 amDa5id

Oh, no question. As the saying goes, “all news is good news.” And whether people are talking about the show because of it’s animation, music, characters, plot, whether positively or negatively, the point is it is getting out there. If anything good can be said about this show, it’s that it’s certainly made itself relevant during its original run. Only time will tell what it’s known for though, as the biggest moments have yet to come.

One thing’s for sure, I am definitely picking up the English Dub when it comes out this year. It may be a bad show, but it is a gem amongst bad shows.

• February 18, 2012 at 1:55 amDear Idiot,

You one confusing human being. You’re even PAYING for the show you’ve been trolling now? YOU REALLY DON’T LIKE IT? REALLY? REALLY?! You’re really willing to throw approximately $80 for each volume, assuming you get blu-ray? But even if you don’t, you’re willing to throw away money?

I’m sorry am I the only one that thinks this man is crazy?

You sir, are even stupider than I ever gave you credit for. So well done.

But whatever, by all means please support the creators and encourage them to make more shows like this. Just don’t start bitching when GC season 2/the MOVIE is announced lol.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:07 amBeedle

Didn’t we all establish that Da5id was tsundere (and I don’t mean that insultingly) for this show?

In my opinion, trolling is like trading weightless insults with your mates; it’s just meaningless words with very little ground, meant to just be humorous banter.

Being maliciously insulting is different, as is bashing.

Your calling him an idiot for choosing to spend his money for something he wants is insulting, and, really, it’s not crazy or stupid at all. Sure, it may potentially be a waste of his money that will sit on his shelf for the rest of its life, but so frickin’ what?

His money, his choice.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:07 amDa5id

Well, if you don’t get it by now, you won’t later, so you might as well give up. But by all means, please continue trolling ME for what I do want to do with my own money! Totally helping your image as crusader of show justice.

Also, it’s like 20-30 per part, and I don’t have a blu-ray player. At least on amazon.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:10 amDa5id

@Beedle

Thanks for the defense, man. I don’t really consider myself tsundere, since my enjoyment of the show comes from it being bad, but what good tsundere would actually admit it, right?

• February 18, 2012 at 2:16 amBeedle

@Da5id:

No worries.

“To each their own” and all that.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:18 amOkay I’m sorry, Dear person who I think has a very illogical thought process

And no I still don’t know why you would want to support a bad show. It’s not my business how you spend your money, but if you have any to give away then go ahead. I welcome it.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:21 amThe Moondoggie

@Dear Idiot

Just my 2 cents:

You will never get rid of trolls while there are two conditions present:

1. He has a reason, no matter how stupid it is.

2. People who is stupid enough to go along with it.

I’m not saying you should give up. But there are moments you have to let it go for now. Besides, it’s not our loss if we didn’t buy his reasons, or if we aren’t one of the imbeciles behind him. We know the truth. We stand for what we believe.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:33 amDa5id

So let me ask you two this:

Why do you care what I say and do?

• February 18, 2012 at 2:38 amDear person who I think has a very illogical thought process

Nah I don’t care what you do. Like I have already said, you spend your money the way you want. Not my business as irrational and wasteful as I think it is. I was more or less curious how you would try to justify it.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:39 amBeedle

Because Moondoggie loves trolling you~

• February 18, 2012 at 2:44 amThe Moondoggie

@Beedle

Because he is a troll. That reason is enough for you. You will never understand and it will be a waste to explain to you.

@Da5id

I don’t care what you do from now on. Mostly because I am tired of trying to point out how stupid you look. You play the fool, troll, do whatever. You do notice except for this note that I had not responded to any of your trolling?

• February 18, 2012 at 2:47 amDa5id

Yes, he does, Beedle. One can only speculate which of us is more troll than man.

The biggest disappointment? It’ll all be over in 5 weeks, when this glorious train-wreck finally reaches the station.

…wait, do wrecked trains go to stations?

• February 18, 2012 at 2:49 amBeedle

@Moondoggie:

Now I am genuinely curious; why did you respond to his trolling by trolling him with baiting remarks? What’s that old saying…”don’t feed the troll”?

Anyways, this is already getting off-topic (though I admit I played some part in that xD)

• February 18, 2012 at 2:14 amCroos

Whats funny is that, it hasn’t yet reach the second page yet. All are pure replys. :P

• February 17, 2012 at 10:44 pmdimasok

I officially hate every single character in the anime – HARE was the most consistent one. Everyone else is expendable and changes faster than the cells are replaced in a human body.

At this point, I feel everyone should just die and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid..

• February 17, 2012 at 11:33 pmKRILL

Everyone is going to die. Not that I’d be surprised by anything with this train wreck of a plot. Shu will get power back, viewers get death and what they perceive as karmatic justice, everyone’s happy, we can all watch Another. Sounds nice.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:24 amshinkirou

Gai: i rise, u fall (quote from transformer the fallen)
    Shu: erm~~ (agony from pain)

moral of the story : never put your trust in everyone, even your best pal..

• February 18, 2012 at 12:46 amNikku

…And then Shu died, Inori became an Idol, Gai is still rebelling against something, Tsugami and Gai got together, all the students reunited with their parents and Totoro, Shu’s Mom bought pants, and the end card is “This is how NOT to make an anime.”

I swear that’s the only possible ending I can think of at this point.

On another note, I thought this series would get BETTER after 12. Nope.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:51 amexia

Omg Flay Allster whored herself out to Kira Jesus Yamato in Seed like omg, this happened a decade ago but you never saw such ignorant comments like this back then.

NOOOO MY KINGS POWER!!!

Lol shuu is a funny guy.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:57 amBeedle

Because Flay was an unstable whore from the get-go? Her character was meant to be a racist, vindictive and manipulative bitch that earns her redemption at the very end.

We’ve seen Arisa’s heart- she had a frickin’ episode based on her- and her void was not a pointy dildo.

• February 18, 2012 at 1:24 amWingZeroZXT

Also it was GUNDAM seed. All shows with the title GUNDAM are given the benefit of the doubt by most of us.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:59 amR

If you didn’t see the comments where everyone called Fllay a whore, I don’t know what communities you were participating in. She is practically THE most disliked character (except maybe Shinn) in the Gundam SEED universe. But even then, her character portrayal was still executed better than almost all of the characters in Guilty Crown.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:13 amCroos

F*** Shuu hurry up and become a good hero already before Inori becomes crazy!!

• February 18, 2012 at 2:26 amRyuunosuke808

Anyone know who gave Arisa the phone or who called?

• February 18, 2012 at 2:36 amBeedle

Shuuichirou/Gai called, most likely telling her to gather the students and isolate Shu ASAP and do whatever means necessary.

As for who gave her the phone, I dunno. I’m guessing it’s her phone and GHQ hacked her number or something.

• February 18, 2012 at 4:45 amSummer Mist

I think Gai would be the nearest guess of the majority because Arisa will do everything for Gai, even getting too far such as surrendering her “ultimate void” to other men…

• February 18, 2012 at 3:00 amWhee

Ok, it’s my hunch but… at this point,
    shuu will probably become much more likable in the remaining eps, and GC might deliver a very good ending O_o
    This ep (still a horrid one) got my hopes up a lot.

• February 18, 2012 at 4:41 amThe Story You Don’t Know

To be honest I think Yahiro will somehow help Shu as well. If I remember it correctly, he wasn’t part of the coup d’etat at the very least. Ironically it might be Yahiro, the very first person to betray Shu, who will give him back his faith on his friends.

Just a wild guess though, no need to flame.

• February 19, 2012 at 5:53 amamado

he definitely will:
        rolo yahiro will sacrifice himself to bail out lelouch shoe. then after he escapes, lelouch shoe mourns and thinks about all he’s done. since he has nothing to lose, he goes to confront his father mother, charles haruka who made this happen.

• February 18, 2012 at 3:04 amDa5id

Hey, guys! This is the most commented episode of this show on this blog so far! Get the champagne!

• February 18, 2012 at 3:57 amewok40k

I prefered the ‘weak and indecisive” Shu to the dark side Shu anyway… The level of trainwreck is: “Hi watchers! Writers here! We can kill off and raise anyone via deus ex machina BECAUSE WE CAN!”
    And of course band of teenagers with varia of tools/weapons will take not only on GHQ but on the US Pacific Fleet and win… via the power of the competence zone (x<17):P
    Oh, and we have been fed lies, his name is not Gai but GAR :P
    Or maybe Gaidalf the White?
    Also, I was right about Raccoon City solution being implemented. I assume the shield of Arisa will be put to use on a nation wide scale or something. Who need BMD with Voids around? :P
    As much as people will be hating Arisa it was her political acumen coupled with use of womanly charms that got us the student uprising. Yeah I know otaku like their 2d idols pure and unspoiled but I endorse strong females who don't hold on to the morality crutches when greater things are at stake.
    I wonder what kind of "King" will Gai make? Probably better than Shu, but that is a really low threshold to make…
    Luckily, we have only few episodes of this trainwreck yet.

• February 18, 2012 at 4:08 amDa5id

Jesus GAIst?

Gaist = Geist

Geist = Ghost in German, which this show’s pretty fond of.

So by the transitive property, Gai Tsutsugami = Jesus Ghost

• February 18, 2012 at 5:35 amSolosis

Is this series receiving so much hate because of its high expectations and hype before it even started showing? It isn’t that bad since it is still entertaining. Not making much sense or plot but entertaining nonetheless.

• February 18, 2012 at 5:57 amRS456

After seeing the preview of the next episode does any one get the feeling Inori might sacrifice herself to save Shuu and give him a fighting chance. She does after all have a void that can’t be measured. Maybe she can also restore something that is lostlike Shuu’s arm like Hare.

• February 18, 2012 at 6:09 amnoobite

Why is the “good”, and “well-written show” in this season didn’t get as many responses/comments as Guilty Crown every week. It don’t even make any sense. I am disappointed, humanity.

• February 18, 2012 at 6:53 amCul dud

because guilty crown is the only good show this season

• February 18, 2012 at 6:58 amCrown Clown

good show like what ?

• February 18, 2012 at 7:01 amjep0ng

wat a F*king whore — Arisa

• February 18, 2012 at 7:13 amOrange

Umm..so who called Arisa on the phone actually?

• February 18, 2012 at 7:19 amOrange

Sometimes i thought is this show an experiment? Either way, this show will definitely be remembered by many…since all of us are always discussing on how screwed up this show was…

• February 18, 2012 at 7:20 amYukipon

Just like a sine curve.

The story, that is.

• February 18, 2012 at 7:26 am0927123

Wall of texts, everywhere. :O

• February 18, 2012 at 7:34 amSeishowmeu

I don’t what to think about this show anymore. At this point I’m just along for the ride. When it Premiered I had such grand hopes for this show and it did start hopeful especially with the A-1 animation quality and themes. But then the show got P**sy like Shu and I was mad! Then it did a 180 and has gotten ridiculously hardcore in tone and feel. I don’t know what to think. Other than I miss Code Geass. Which got it right on all levels and now I’m sad Bandai has stopped development on the New Geass Manga. It makes me long for Un-Go or to re-watch the whole series. I dunno. The one thing I do know. Once this series IS over. I’m never watching it again. :-\

• February 18, 2012 at 9:30 amshiki999

I know why it is titled Guilty Crown,cause the writers and producers of this dumb show are
    going to feel so much guilt & regret as no one is going to buy its BD Release.I mean how can anyone be so stupid to even produce such a spineless show with almost no script considering all the characters are so much of a mess and no one knows who or what is going to pop up out of nowhere.I hope that bomber drops the nuke and end everyone’s misery including ours.

• February 19, 2012 at 4:27 pmScruffy

Unfortunately you couldn’t be more wrong. The first BD sold over 10k.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:49 amybaby

Divine I think you are just a Shu hater, not saying that I’m a fanboy myself. Feeling no sympathy for Evil Shu well having sympathy for Evil Gai and Arisa? lol? If anything Shu should be more traumatized since he was forced the role of king and lost Hare, while Arisa just got stabbed in the hand… As for the series, either the writers planned to mind blow the views with something amazing at the end or they realized the only reason people are watching are for the shock value; either way though, I’m embracing myself for my mind to be blown next week.

• February 18, 2012 at 12:03 pmJif

As someone who legitimately enjoys this show, I still find Shu very difficult to like. I thought a few episodes back that he would take on the moral challenge of assessing how much people are worth, not just to him, but to a greater “societal interest.” Turns out, he doesn’t do this at all – after losing Hare, he completely loses his marbles as well, complaining to Inori about how lonely he feels while he’s trying to protect everybody, but at the same time not hesitating at all to kill someone should they step out of line. Shu’s actions may or may not be completely random, but there seems to be little “compelling” continuity behind his rationale.

He’s sticking to the story that he’s lonely and hates losing people who believe in him. But none of this really holds any water in light of his actions. He just seems impulsive, emotional, and as of late, drunk off power. I wish they would’ve built something likeable about him. He lacks the sensitivity that makes us want to empathize with him, the decisiveness that makes characters like LL badasses… and well, that’s pretty bad right there.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:07 amD-LaN

The number of comments is OVER 9000!!!!

• February 18, 2012 at 1:10 pmDarkRyter

It’s weird that the most unbelievable thing I can find about this episode is the UN making a decision that fast.

Cause that’s just ridonkulous.

• February 18, 2012 at 2:12 pmDragonite88

Shame really the UN is still looked as evil in the anime. Whether it is with the Majority or just Veto the UN sucks. I dont know how many times I seen a Nighthawk in all apocalyptic animes. Strange really they seem to the only plane used to destory.

Oh yes The Ghost Technology could be a reality. Scientist at Honda have I believe made contact through brain power all thanks to the Asimo.

Lastly, Is it safe to assume Mana is alive aswell. Because she was the Key. Or could Gai Red eye have something in store for us.

Well great episode and cant wait.

• February 18, 2012 at 5:08 pmSJin

Characterization in this episode was rather strange. Did Argo and Tsugumi really agree to not only betray, but to kill Shuu? Argo clearly knows that Shuu had been fooled by Yahiro all along, and Shuu even let him live. I assume Tsugumi should also know about this by staying in contact with Argo. That doesn’t seem consistent with how these two characters were portrayed in the previous 16 episodes.

Also, this wasn’t even a rebellion. It was more like “after we tear down that wall, let’s get our revenge on Shuu for being a jerk”. It really served no purpose other than revenge as people were already escaping through the destroyed wall. Maybe I’m just missing something.

• February 18, 2012 at 5:29 pmI Love This Show.

I read Random Curiosity and the comments all the time but I never leave a reply. But after reading all these replies I felt the urge to write something. I know most people hate the show or the execution or the writers because of the events from either this episode or the past couple of episodes, but personally I think this show is great and realistic.

Shuu in the first half of the season lacks initiative and is portrayed so weak. People I assume continue watching the show to see him grow to be a reliable, strong leader. But in real life when you aren’t doing something right do you just drastically change and get the right answer immediately? It may be obvious to us what Shuu needs to do but for his situation it’s understandable and human to make mistakes. He doesn’t understand why he can’t be a good leader but still searches for a way to be a good leader. He ends up down the dictator route to try to control everyone but we see glimpses of him revealing his feelings and hate for having to act like this. He hesitates when he finds out Souta might possibly die but he continues down this evil path because he wants to save as many people as possible. It’s realistic how his thinking evolves because he doesn’t know what works and what doesn’t, he believed his “leadership” would work but it still had flaws.

This is where it gets interesting. How will Shuu’s thinking evolve now. It’s boring when the main character has a flaw, then realize he has one, then change himself and ends up great. That’s really linear. In Guilty Crown however he goes from a weak personality to an even worst personality. He literary hits rock bottom after being betrayed. What’s even worst is that the people he doubts (Yahiro) were people that wanted to help him and people he trusted (pretty much everyone) betrayed him. And I believe he thought everyone trusted him but just really hated him. Did you see the look on Shuu’s face when pushed by Souta? So Shuu hits rock bottom and you feel he’s gone even farther past rock bottom because of the emotions you feel from watching the scenes of Souta pushing Shuu, Arisa betraying Shuu, Argo allowing Shuu’s betrayal and potentially death and Tsugumi also forsaking Shuu, but it doesn’t stop. The writers barrage you with wtfs. Gai? Gai is evil?! Inori got stabbed?!?! GAI DID IT?! WTF THAT’S SHUU’S ARM BRO?!?!?! THIS is low. Think about it from Shuu’s mind. This is past rock bottom. As long as writers execute it properly now they have so much potential to make Shuu great and this show great, though in 5 episodes is cutting it really close. Why can it be great? Because if Shuu’s thinking is developed properly and he becomes the kind king that saves everyone then things can’t possibly turn out better. This is the opposite of a tragedy. Why is the story of Satan so tragic? Because he was once an angel but fell to the pits of hell. Falling from the very top (an angel) to the very bottom (the devil) is what makes it tragic. Shuu can be the opposite. Climbing from the very very very bottom to the very top. If done well.

I love this show because though I’m in pain right now from a lot of things that I don’t like (not just about Shuu) I hope and believe this show will be great starting from the evolution of Shuu.

On another note I don’t know what will happen but I believe people will follow Gai, Gai will betray them, Shuu will come back with a new way of thinking and a rocking new power to boot, everyone though betrayed by Gai will also not like Shuu, Shuu will not seek to explain why he was such an asshole but instead earn back the trust of everyone unintentionally (by helping everyone and not demanding anything from them and telling them not to follow him but for some reason they will be compelled to follow him and he’ll be all like thank you guys), then he will face Gai and pass him and from there it will probably get complicated. Gai will either be evil and Shuu will seek to save him. Gai is evil because he is being controlled and Shuu will release him. Gai was deliberately being evil to drive Shuu into a corner where he knew Shuu would return powerful and it was all an elaborate plan to develop Shuu. Shuu will defeat Gai and Gai was just always evil (not that likely I don’t think). So many good possibilities.

It would be great if there was a second season because it takes a lot to make Shuu great, get everyone to like him again, get Gai to change in whatever way is best and even toss in Mana in there. Holy Crap. I hope instead of bashing this show people wait and see how it turns out because nothing is more annoying than a bunch of viewers going from flaming on every character as well as the writers to omg omg omg Guilty Crown is great. If Guilty Crown ends up awesome, I wouldn’t want to see that. If not… then I will probably cry from the loss of so much potential and feel like I wasted an hour of my time typing this. Also try to put yourself in the characters shoes. A lot of them do a lot of dark or twisted things but they are all in stressful situations. There would be no such thing as ethics if everyone did the right thing all the time. Again that’s what makes this show realistic. I heart Hare just as much as the next guy and hate childish asshole Shuu but… it’s life people can die just as easily as Hare and people can let emotions control them (Shuu) and become power crazy losing sight of the goal they are trying to achieve. Besides anyways I bet Shuu will discover some sort of crap that sucks out the virus from people and will probably cure Gai and a bunch of other people and maybe even revive Hare (though I sure this would piss off a lot of people too…? Maybe?). Continue the story writers *fingers crossed*.

• February 19, 2012 at 8:08 pmsuff

I agree. This show is meant to be ~50 episodes. The way this is going, however, I am skeptical that it will have a second season.

• February 21, 2012 at 6:26 amOwaranai

You are a breath of fresh air. While some, if not most of the criticisms are reasonable IMO, the whole comments section reeks of negativity in contrast to your optimism.

A second season? Maybe…why not? But judging from how things are turning out, I can only see more deaths of the characters closer to Shuu and at best a bittersweet ending.

It is, though, an interesting scenario to contemplate and think of the ‘What Ifs’. Fanfiction could be the way to go. Heck, a good amateur writer might even excavate a diamond from all the supposed mud most people think they are watching.

• February 18, 2012 at 6:09 pmZero

Im hoping for a turn around, CG S2 was not too terrible but was a little rushed at times but still managed to mind fuck the hell outta all of us. Maybe GC can do this too. Shu definately acted way outta place for his character and became the exact opposite of what Hare loved but it has happened in other animes as well Case in point Sasuke in Naruto. He finds out Itachi killed his own kin to save the village and his dumb ass goes herp derp lets go blow it up. this series has a hell of a lot of errors but it is still enjoyable in some aspects and if you dont think so the stop watching it. There are alot of other awesome ones like Rinne no Lagrange and Ano Natsu De Matteru

• February 18, 2012 at 6:58 pmRS456

Its still interesting in my opinion but big cliffhangers after every episode are getting annoying. Lately there have been too many turning point cliffhangers.

• February 18, 2012 at 7:02 pmshin

shark ending mmm

• February 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm0927123

• February 18, 2012 at 7:26 pmDa5id

And then Tokyo was taken over by Land-Sharks that ate Apocalypse Virus. The end.

• February 18, 2012 at 8:03 pmsealouse

So is that arm we see in the opening going to be Shuu’s new arm?

• February 19, 2012 at 5:30 amseiten

i have the same idea as you. just realized it after ep 17. i used to think it was just shuu’s arm raised but in closer inspection, it will strike more as a mech arm or prosthetic rather than a human arm. im guessing haruka will help him with that

• February 19, 2012 at 4:00 amDiabolikul

Well,the ending is quite clear for me…Shu gets a new arm with new powers then goes to save every1 and kills Gai then Shu understands that this was Gai’s plan all along,defeats the eyebrow kid then Inori goes berserk(don’t know why yet) and Shu saves her somehow but dies in the process then we get a Code Geass ending with a hint that Shu is still alive.

• February 19, 2012 at 7:35 amSiput

MY POWER OF KINGS! I lol’ed

• February 19, 2012 at 7:48 amKevz

I am soooo happy gai cutting the shit out of shu’s arm, am soooo tired of shu already sigh..

• February 19, 2012 at 7:53 amKusabi

redjuice vs huke. Guess who will win in terms of performance on screen?

• February 19, 2012 at 8:45 amshiki999

From the preview and little bit of Japanese I konw Inori/Mana is going to sacrifice herself to save the life of Shue as he is bleeding to death and has been betrayed by each and every ungrateful bastard that he came across in his life so there is no one is going to help him,he is again going to snap out not finding Inori around and going to kill each and everyone and the first will be Arisa as she is the one responsible, there is word mentioned relating Arisa which means “I am going to beat the hell out of her.”
    I think there were only three people who truly cared and loved him Inori,Mana and Hare,everyone else is a Backstabber including his stepmother,he should stop being a wuss and stand for himself for once in his life probably help that bomber where exactly to drop that nuke and with his new found power he should escape from Japan.
    that would be good ending.

• February 19, 2012 at 2:43 pmRok

Take a look at shu’s arm in the opening. You can see that it’s different.

• February 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm0927123

Nice catch!

• February 19, 2012 at 6:17 pmLaughingMan

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Holy fuck just when I thought this shit couldn’t get any worse! Shu surprised that the students turned against him after he acted like an asshole? Second scene where he;s with Inori going “Oh woe is me! I’m such an asshole! Feel sorry for me!”? Gai clone out of fucking nowhere who turns out to be a bad guy and cuts off Shu’s arm and somehow takes his powers? Holy fuck I’m laughing so hard! Oh god my sides! Seriously! Someone fucking help me! I think I might seriously die laughing!

• February 19, 2012 at 6:23 pmLaughingMan

Not to mention the blatant fanservice for Arisa with forced character development. Seriously, have the writers of this show ever fucking heard of pacing? This is by far the most laughably stupid anime series that I have seen in my life. Normally I would have dropped a bad anime series, but this is just too fucking funny to drop. Can somebody photoshop Tommy Wiseau’s face on Shoe please? For those who don’t know who I’m talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

• February 19, 2012 at 6:54 pmDa5id

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, TRITON.

• February 19, 2012 at 7:44 pmAotsuki

This show is just a series of disappointing events piled on top of each other in rapid succession. I already know the end. Inori dies so Shou gets an even longer scarf. Then everyone dies in the end anyway in an unbelievably angsty way, but it’s cool, cus Shou has a scarf and god-like apathy. Then Gai and Shou become lovers except Gai is dead, so it’s all necrophilic and shit, but it’s cool, cus Shou only has one arm. And that’s why Will Smith made the Men In Black.

• February 20, 2012 at 8:43 amshiki999

IMO Shou has proven himself to be a much better leader than half ass Gai,Shuu delivered what he promised to all students that he would get them out of that barricaded area no matter what and he planned and executed it with 100% success rate with in a short time whereas Gai has been fucking around half of the series being the leader of a rebellion group and accomplished nothing, if you have seen the series all his plans either backfired or failed resulting in causalities of his subordinates,Shou may be indecisive and little bit reserved but when the situation calls for it he does his job even Gai has said that he wanted to become stronger like him before parting.and remember when that old fossil who is Arisa’s Grandfather asked Gai for his motivation behind his actions as rebellion leader and that Gai(Jerk) told him that it was to get a hold of a woman referring to Mana.(man what an honest reason to build a rebellion army and throwing them in the war just to satisfy your own libido),compared to him Shuu could have escaped safely with Inori if he wanted to with his power but he stayed with all those backstabbing,selfish and ungrateful school kids out of humanity wanting to help them with his power which he did,and he is of course not a tyrant as he has been questioning his own actions as telling Inori”I am not doing this to become a leader or popular I just want them to get out of Tokyo safely.” I’d say a much better answer compared to Gai.I have only one complaint,when his arm was hacked
    by Gai he shouldn’t have yelled”My power of Kings”instead “My Arm” or a scream out of pain should have been sufficient.I am only watching this series because of its artwork and its almost going to conclude with 5 episodes so not gonna drop it at this point though it has provento be a Train wreck indeed and will be remembered for how horribly it has been executed.

• February 21, 2012 at 6:20 amOwaranai

Just got to watching this episode, and while I’d say this show really sucks in terms of lifting up a person’s mood, I’m forced to reevaluate my opinion that the series is no good.

I think the scenario that Shuu is faced with here is relatively interesting. Dug the hole by himself after going off on a tangent different from that of Hare’s, went batshit crazy and drunk with authority at some point, only to have it all crumble on him with betrayal after betrayal. The very fact that every tragedy that is happening to and around him slowly backs him into a corner one step at a time until there’s total despair is the mood that the writers could be looking for.

I gather that most people make fun of Shuu’s scream about his power of kings being taken, but it does make some sense when this guy is sincere BUT sincerely wrong in wanting to save the student body after the death of one of his closest friends, the one who he feels truly believes in him. The supposed symbolism of ruling through kindness is thus taken, and this teenager who finds it hard to make decisions allows Hare’s death to make the decision for him – Since Kindness dies, therefore the opposite, the Iron Fist should be the way to go. the rest is history, and with Shuu backing himself into a corner then having everyone turn their backs on him (Never have I ever felt such hatred for a character. DIE NANBA and CRONY #1), with the last spirit-shattering events the ‘skewering’ of Inori, the one last person who would still be with him and his last security and identity in himself – The power of kings taken away – I can understand why he screamed the way he did there.

While I can’t vouch for how well they wrote the entire series thus far, I thought this was at least something positive to take from the episode – How events culminate to the point where we see the protagonist hit rock bottom. It’s actually one of the most fundamental processes that a hero/heroine goes through in a story. How it has been executed so far, though, doesn’t seem to sit right with me as well.

Regarding Arisa: Being judgmental, we tend to pick out that negative aspect of an event like that and ruthlessly slap a “whore” label on her. I beg to differ simply because of the situations and madness coming to her at every bend. While it is certainly true that more of Arisa could have been portrayed to tell us viewers just what is going on in her mind…Anyone noticed that she looked like she was going to break any moment? That’s one ‘subtle’ hint that most people fail to catch. I don’t approve of what she did, of course, but I can accept it.

On the whole, however, GC still reeks badly of terrible writing and character development. One can argue that the writers are trying to show something here or convey some kind of message about human nature and whatnot but whatever it is, it clearly isn’t working.

I don’t know how they can ever hope to salvage this and still make it decent, but I’m not completely giving up on seeing better developments and perhaps a bittersweet ending.

Even if that doesn’t happen…At least the OP and ED are good.

• February 21, 2012 at 7:51 amYin

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve seen so much discussion for a single episode on RC. Really brings memories when Code Geass was still airing!

• February 21, 2012 at 9:42 ampokpokza

Code geass is Epic and Lulu have willpower. this episode make me think of Nisemonogatari ep 7 when araragi told his sister about she doesn’t have her own will and she is just a fake but she realise and that and become almost a real hero. Shu is suck he is a fake who imitate Gai. SO give Inori to me and die yup

• February 21, 2012 at 9:39 ampokpokza

I hate Shu, he is the most stupid protagonist ever after “black hair guy” in gundum seed destiny.
    This anime really piss me with their stupid scenario I think the Top 3 anime for this serie is Mirai nikki , Moretsu pirate and Nisemonogatari + Black Rock shooter too for yuri lover.

• February 21, 2012 at 10:41 amRebric

I think… Episode 17 killed this show for me. I loved watching, even as asanine as Shu was all along, I thought great things could come of this. But episode 17 ruined it. I made the smart decision of reading that his arm was cut off… I never bothered to watch the episode and I won’t bother watching another one again. The kid has been too pussy all along, and he FINALLY went crazy…and the next episode he’s made into a bigger pussy than episode 1. This is not a shounen. Its a failure. I refuse to believe intelligable people wrote this show.

• February 21, 2012 at 10:42 amRebric

A year of naruto flashbacks is better than this show.

• February 21, 2012 at 10:48 amGhostalker

Watching this episode needs a lot of Patience, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!

• February 23, 2012 at 9:01 pmThe Moondoggie

THIS WEEK ON GUILTY CROWN:

SNEAK PEEK:

OH? THERE’S MR GRAVITY GUN!

(How do you color text?)

• February 23, 2012 at 9:12 pmDa5id

Damn Funimation delayed their subs a whole day!

But yeah, I saw Kenji. Finally he’s on the winning team.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:26 pmThe Moondoggie

IF everyone is done screwing Shu around, Kenji picked the wrong team IMO. I need to see some serious butt-kicking.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:47 pmDa5id

But we can at least agree it was cool to see Gai give those enforcers their comeuppance, right? I mean, I didn’t understand what their Voids were besides the scythe, and I’m not sure how putting them all together makes a missile, but they did at least get what they deserved.

• February 23, 2012 at 10:14 pmThe Moondoggie

>.>

I Guess. I was actually expecting there will be students who will side with Shu after this.

Anyway I supposed you still have things to rage on this(I’m not saying this to offend). I supposed you raging for 17 episodes, there IS something I’m not seeing that you can see.

And I supposed I should accept it now.

What’s unacceptable this week is people raging on BRS instead, just because it airs in NoitaminA. >.>

• February 23, 2012 at 10:58 pmDa5id

Well, I haven’t seen the whole episode or the subs yet, but based on the last few episodes, this one will likely be rage-worthy. I did still hate Arisa, especially when she killed her grandfather, who was pretty damn badass. I also wish Inori would go one episode without saying Shu’s name more than five times…and yada yada stuff like that.

And I thank you for your acceptance. Did you read that article I linked about So Bad It’s Good?

I’m pretty sure that rage comes from noitamina’s reputation for having the “non-mainstream” shows. I don’t really get it either. One complaint I’ve heard about that show is that the school drama is kind of exaggerated, but I’m not watching it till it finishes, so I wouldn’t know.

• February 23, 2012 at 11:09 pmMaru

Guilty Crown game pre-orders are up already. I really hope it gets translated though probably unlikely at this point.

• March 11, 2012 at 1:31 amhibari

I feel seriously sad for Shou. No one truly deserves what he has gone through. Everyone acts as if they could pull this off without shaking or even breaking down from the stress. There’s a lot of realism in this, since they bring lots of emotional problems into the anime to show that they aren’t perfect human beings. They’ve got feelings.
    People don’t like Shou? Alright. Do you have to argue about it and force people to agree with you? Not cool dude. Yes opinions matter, but coercing people to join you is not something everybody wants to do.

• March 11, 2012 at 1:32 amhibari