Last Exile -Ginyoku no Fam- – 18 »« Last Exile -Ginyoku no Fam- – 16

Last Exile -Ginyoku no Fam- – 17

Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   01 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   02 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   03
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   04 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   05 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   06
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   07 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   08 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   09
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   10 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   11 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   12
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   13 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   14 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   15
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   16 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   17 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   18
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   19 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   20 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   21
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   22 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   23 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   24
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   25 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   26 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   27
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   28 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   29 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   30
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   31 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   32 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   33
Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   34 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   35 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   36

「Dynamic possibilities」

I really liked how Sadri played off the distrust between Millia’s coalition army. It seemed like an ingenious strategy, one you could expect from an experienced general, and added in another layer to make the battle more realistic. You have to salute Orang for not panicking like his subordinates and firing upon the Glacies fighters. You also have to give Fam props (albeit reluctantly) for stopping Dian since she looked like she was going to retaliate out of spite.

Just when Fam was showing some signs of a more compelling story, it goes and trashes all the suspense and realism it created over the course of the series. I think it’s unrealistic for a ceasefire to occur in that situation even if it were Sara asking for one. I’m sure Sadri cares for Sara but I find it highly unlikely he would just ditch Luscinia (someone who he has backed for all these years) for her. I also find it unlikely that Sadri would just fall in line like the others. If only Luscinia were going to be as easy to convince. A more plausible outcome would have been Sadri partially destroying Boreas seeing as he already had the upper hand by filling in that gorge, which would then have led to a conditional surrender. Yes, the Silvius came in to save the day but I don’t think a lone ship could have salvaged that battle from the clutches of defeat. Also, that raises the question that if they were going to defend Boreas, why didn’t they just park their Exile nearby?

The scene with the Silvius coming to save the day left me very disappointed. I picture one of the writers playing a SHMUP and thinking it might be a good idea to lift a special attack from one of the games. It was not a good idea and felt uninspired. It seemed like they were just trying to save time instead of putting proper thought into how the Silvius could reenter an important battle while having an impact on the outcome.

On the other hand, this episode’s music was great. The instrumentals really fit the melancholy yet hopeful mood. The new ED really reminded me of some music you might find in an epic RPG like Kingdom Hearts. I wholeheartedly approve of the pieces used in this episode. I also found the animation to be some of the best I’ve seen in weeks.

Notes:
* “Laha” looks similar to Fam. Possibly related?
* Blowing up the cliff and filling the gorge was way too simple.
* New ED video for 「Innocent Eyes」 by Hitomi Kuroishi might come later.
* For those of you who don’t know what a “SHMUP” is, it’s short for “shoot’em up.” It a genre of arcade games. Search on youtube if you want an example.
* Full-length images: 05, 07, 25

ED4 Sequence

Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   ED4   01 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   ED4   02 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   ED4   03

ED4: 「Innocent Eyes」 by Hitomi Kuroishi

Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   Preview 01 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   Preview 02 Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam   17   Preview 03
February 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm
  • February 27, 2012 at 10:28 pmThe Moondoggie

• February 27, 2012 at 11:41 pmish

that or Titanic Fam/Gisey

• February 27, 2012 at 10:37 pmleokiko

This was insanely rushed.

Silvius was too overpowered, just check the scene which they completely own everyone. It’s ridiculous. And of course, all that ended with an random ceasefire(good to mention the transition for after the part Silvius appeared was really awkward). Also, with just a few episodes left, just now they put anything directly related to Fam? I can’t even imagine how rushed the final episodes will have to be.

Bad, bad episode overall IMO.

• February 28, 2012 at 7:04 amUnknownSoldier

The pacing was way off this episode. They were skipping back and forth between stuff, and developments were happening without any build-up. Then the Silvius comes in and pulls off a Death Blossom maneuver (kudos to anyone who gets the reference).

It almost felt like I was watching an episode of Guilty Crown.

• February 27, 2012 at 11:35 pmish

Silvius = Deus Ex Machina

• February 28, 2012 at 10:37 amDaSilva

Well not really. We already knew about the existence of the Silvius, and its reputed power in battle. It’s good enough that the Ades wanted to capture it at more than one point, probably for study.

The Silvius might have appeared without warning but it isn’t like they picked up a golden chicken that shoots laser beams and bleeds rainbows to win the battle.

Plus, they were hinting throughout the lead-up to the battle with constant comments about how nobody knew where the Silvius was. For all we know it could have been steaming along the whole time.

Deus ex machina is something that challenges the internal logic of the world it happens in and usually results in plot holes. I don’t see that here.

• February 28, 2012 at 11:47 pmish

the way i see it, there’s a lot of that in this series. cue back to Millia OUT OF SHEER DUMB LUCK shooting down a big ship. or how inexplicably and effortlessly Fam captured ships or Ades losing them. same with how inexplicably and effortless the terrorists infiltrated the Grand Race event and killed the person they wanted to kill.

and for that i have stopped taking this series seriously, it’s just comedy perhaps even parody to me at this point.

• February 27, 2012 at 11:52 pmBeckett

The scene where the Silvius came in had me shaking my head. It spins around and just owns everything with no retaliatory fire? Seriously? Compare to the Silvana in season 1 which was powerful but not ridiculously so. This season in contrast seems way more… unrealistic? It’s not a word I like to use considering both seasons are pure fantasy, but suspension of disbelief is WAY harder to achieve this time around because the scenarios just seem so unbelievable.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:19 amAlec

I was expecting Anatoray/Disith to back them up. But I guess I’m wrong (partly xD)

• February 28, 2012 at 1:09 amPrimarch

The ships were in a middle of a relatively tight formation. If they missed the Silvius, they hit their own ships. Are you kidding?

• February 28, 2012 at 10:20 amBeckett

So a better plan is just to sit there and do nothing while everyone is destroyed? That resembles a winning strategy, except for the part where you don’t win because everyone dies.

• February 28, 2012 at 6:54 pmPrimarch

No, the solution was to have gain space and move apart, but Tatiana did not give them the chance to do so.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:16 amXziled

well IMO I thought fam felt more like a main character this episode than the others at least.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:18 amAlec

Well she is the main character after all xD

• February 28, 2012 at 1:04 amTari

Just fyi, I’m fairly sure that genre of games is referred to as “shmup” not “shump”.

I still can’t get over the disappointment the first few episodes gave me and work my way through the rest of this series yet. Here’s to hoping it pulls together for a fulfilling ending, though.

• February 28, 2012 at 11:40 amunlisted

You are correct.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:07 amPrimarch

Eh guys. Silvius sneaked up on the First fleet by going underwater and as she rose above the water, she opened her front doors and fired at the middle of the Ades Battleship, and the rockets penetrated the ship’s armor and broke her back, sinking the ship. We all know the rockets were powerful, and in Silvius’ case, they seem to have sorted out the issue with long range accuracy, which was a problem with the original rockets on the Silvana. The original rockets on the Silvana were powerful enough to hold back the Exile’s tentacles for a brief moment. Who is to say they weren’t capable of penetrating the Ades Battleship armor? the only thing is that the opening of the armor plates leaves the Silvius vulnerable, and the ship’s captain took advantage of the confusion to quickly unleash a barrage of rockets. The same trick is unlikely to work this time, but all battles boil down to taking advantage of the enemy’s confusion and hitting them hard when they aren’t prepared.

If the argument that Silvius is overpowered, the same could be said of Silvana, mind. It’s not like the Ades Battleships have displayed Guild level of armor so far.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:47 amJulio

Well said, Tatiana used the Ades confusion to her advantage and fire immediately before the captains of the Ades ships realize to what’s going on. I don’t think it was that unrealistic, it just a one time situation that may not happen again.

@Unlisted, Anatoray’s Exile has arrived yet, even Dio said so.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:24 pmunlisted

Did he? Must have missed that part.

• February 28, 2012 at 4:04 pmDaSilva

Indeed, their Exile is still in transit after depositing the first arrivals. Takes a year to travel in either direction, meaning a 2 year round trip.

I wonder what kind of powers the Exile still has now that it’s shed its cocoon and is more like a galactic freighter. I would think its tentacles fell away with the outer shell.

• February 28, 2012 at 7:23 pmPrimarch

I am not sure if the Exile we saw in the first episode is the same Exile as the Anatoray one. Though Dio suggests that it might.

• February 28, 2012 at 3:23 amLitho

I got a bit of hope seeing Dio and Al in the beginning, but then it quickly went all Jar Jar Binks again.

How I went through the ep:
    “watch first 5 min -> skip -> skip -> watch Sylvius do ballerina move -> skip -> watch next ep preview – delete file”

• February 28, 2012 at 4:04 amMyssa Rei

Raha seems to be Sadri’s daughter or a close relative. The first time we see her is via the portrait in Sadri’s locket in episode 11. The woman who was carrying Fam as a baby looks like a more grown-up version of her… Now if you follow the dots, it seems rather obvious that Fam is related to Sadri.

• February 28, 2012 at 6:00 amThe Moondoggie

Related? Probably his granddaughter.

• February 28, 2012 at 8:01 amMyssa Rei

As if we’re expecting subtlety at this point. Yeah, I think that the implication is that Fam’s Sadri’s long-lost granddaughter.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:30 pmunlisted

I don’t remember Sadri saying any names in episode 11. But yes, I do remember the locket which I capped http://randomc.net/image/Last%20Exile%20Ginyoku%20no%20Fam/Last%20Exile%20Ginyoku%20no%20Fam%20-%2011%20-%20Large%2008.jpg

I was looking last night and there didn’t look like much resemblance. But I can see it now. Wonder how much of a role it’s going to play. The story would seem to end fine even if she didn’t find any long lost relatives or family.

• February 28, 2012 at 6:32 amGermanguy

Well, this Episode show us, that Both Generals in charge, still has their Hearts in the right place.

As for Vasant, dunno how the Queen will react. Perhaps is Vasant explain her thoughts to her, she understand her motives. Even as a 6 Years old Ruler

• February 28, 2012 at 6:35 amGermanguy

Hope that Clacies Forces, will not go all out now on Ades. Well, i would understand that. But this will end only in their extinction. And i think they still needed for Fam’s “Storyline” sake

• February 28, 2012 at 6:38 amGermanguy

Oh, i forgotten 1 important Key

With these Ceasefire. Is the “Expansion of Ades boarders for Peace and Augusta’s Sake!!” Campaign over? Or they going to attack Anatory?

• February 28, 2012 at 6:56 amGermanguy

and if i would continue the Red Stoyline. I let Luscinia build a a large “Drone” Army. Perhaps these Facility he found in the Ice Area, is really a Factory of the Guild. That can mass Produce Drones, and controlled with “lost technology” (well, we would called Computer AI)

Because, it must be his time to raise the villain Sun, now.Did he not go alone with his buddy and Emillias older Sister on this trip? All others remained under the control of this Old men…

• February 28, 2012 at 7:00 amGermanguy

or to reduce “Budget” Money. He found the Secret Override Codes for the Claudia’s Engine and can take force control of Ades or all kind of Claudia steamed Ships…(aka shut down or overdrive engine Bomb)

Smart move? :) Well is up to the Writer anyway

• February 28, 2012 at 7:01 amGermanguy

Thats why he feared Anatroys and other Exiles not under their Control. I bet he cant “Override” their Exile Systems aka own Claudia Engines.

• February 28, 2012 at 7:35 amc2710

just when silvana 2.0 came back…. it had to be ruined

• February 28, 2012 at 10:27 amDaSilva

It seems like in the rush to progress the plot more quickly, they took HUGE liberties with how the episode was organized and formatted. They tried to pack in so many developments at once that they didn’t even have the time left to do proper transitions between scenes.

That being said, there was a great deal happening at once this episode with characters coming and going, politics, etc.

The defense of Boreas was the centerpiece of the episode but I feel like the battle could have been handled better. I have no doubt as to the tactical backing of the battle but a lot of that didn’t get through to me as a viewer.

For example, how did the ship that Liliana was in get so exposed? I understand the hidden pincer might have caught them unawares but there was nothing to show that the coalition had spread their force so far that the slow lumbering Ades battleships could get so far. Was Liliana at the front then? Why didn’t we see any of that action?

I fear that without relaying the finer parts of the battle, the show risks the image of commanders that just throw ships at each other until one side gives up, what with the huge numbers that Sadri seems to lose but presses on.

The best part of the battle was indeed Sadri’s ploy to turn the Glacies and Ades against each other. But the key here is that the focus was not on the fighting itself, but rather the tensions between former enemies and between nationalities that breed mistrust & fear.

• February 28, 2012 at 12:43 pmunlisted

Liliana? I’m sure you meant Millia.

From my understanding there was no hidden pincer move. The First Fleet (Sadri) was sending a message to the Third Fleet (Orang) to perform a pincer move. Orang had already flipped sides but there’s already distrust brewing over the loyalty of the Third Fleet and the Glacies fighters. Sadri was playing on this distrust. If I remember correctly, the Third Fleet had played a role in the destruction of Glacies (along with all the other fleets except for the Fifth which is headed by Vasant). Also, during the briefing last episode, Dian expressed that she wanted to take on the Third Fleet instead of the Fourth (Sorush).

I think Millia had rushed out with the Third Fleet to help command them. She would have been near the middle-front of the formation. I think the front line was destroyed after all the confusion.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:28 pmver

Dian hated the third fleet because it was the fleet they tried to intercept with the bulk of their glacies vanships.

The outcome was that their new anti vanship rapid fire mechanisms downed their entire main force of glacies vanships.

While glacies was invaded by ades, it was the third fleet that was tasked with obliterating their glacies vanships.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:45 pmunlisted

Ah yes, I forgot about that new weapon of theirs.

• February 28, 2012 at 3:56 pmDaSilva

HAHA indeed. I posted in a haze of sleep deprivation as a way to relax after working. It seems my own thoughts were rushed and disorganized.

I need a cup of Urbanus coffee..

• February 28, 2012 at 7:26 pmPrimarch

I think the problem was the combined fleet was simply too outgunned by the First Fleet. I am not entirely sure if Silvius attacked the pincer and not the task face that was pounding the rebel fleet.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:25 pmver

Sylvius shouldn’t have enough firepower to deter an entire fleet of ships. I don’t know why they even showed the sylvius to be helpful at all. For all I know, it’s just a faster than normal ship with a lot of conventional weapons. No way that can match up to a fleet. Next time the sylvius tries to pull something like this again (run into the middle of a fleet and fire at all directions), it needs to be shot at all sides and downed.

• February 28, 2012 at 6:51 pmunlisted

Right? Last Exile has a pretty good record of staying realistic. For example, in the original, the Silvana was pretty much equal to 3 Urbanus-class ships. In Fam, they’ve shown the Silvius to not be completely overpowered as it has been damaged extensively. This last thing they’ve done is discredit what they’ve established over time.

• February 28, 2012 at 1:50 pmMartianMage

Well TBH one thing that bothered me the most in this episode is the direction. Many of the scenes are way too disjointed. Could have been a lot better really.

• February 28, 2012 at 3:47 pmBROOKLYN otaku

hehehehe, every “first line” dat you start your post with either has a “meh” or “…eh” vibe to it. this show is really that bad huh? it kinda reminds me of that other failed *opinion* venture Xam’d…..what a let down

• February 28, 2012 at 6:45 pmunlisted

It’s not outright bad. It’s just that for everything that they seem to do correctly, there’s something that do badly.

If this show was really “that bad”, I think I would have dropped it by now. So really, I haven’t become completely fed up with its missteps. I’m just more or less disappointed sometimes. Keep in mind that there are very few perfect anime. I’m really just hoping for a string of good episodes. For example, not every single one of Persona 4′s episodes are homeruns. It’s just really good at stringing together some really funny, good episodes and they do more things tto help the show than hurt it.

Maybe I shouldn’t write anything on the excerpts lol

• March 1, 2012 at 5:08 pmAllanx

A wild SADRI appeared!

TATIANA: SILVIUS, I choose you!

SILVIUS uses SPELL CARD

It’s super effective!

SADRI fainted.

• March 12, 2012 at 11:10 pmKumaKaori

… wat. … lol nicely said Allanx.

Dues ex Hax orz srsly. The Silverna’s reappearance is completely part of why I can’t respect this show orz;. 1 vs 80. the 1 Wins. wat… wait no it was 1 vs 150… … … *shakes head*. please let this series end soon…. …. ….