Rinne no Lagrange – 09 »« Rinne no Lagrange – 07

Rinne no Lagrange – 08

Rinne no Lagrange   08   01 Rinne no Lagrange   08   02 Rinne no Lagrange   08   03
Rinne no Lagrange   08   04 Rinne no Lagrange   08   05 Rinne no Lagrange   08   06
Rinne no Lagrange   08   07 Rinne no Lagrange   08   08 Rinne no Lagrange   08   09
Rinne no Lagrange   08   10 Rinne no Lagrange   08   11 Rinne no Lagrange   08   12
Rinne no Lagrange   08   13 Rinne no Lagrange   08   14 Rinne no Lagrange   08   15
Rinne no Lagrange   08   16 Rinne no Lagrange   08   17 Rinne no Lagrange   08   18
Rinne no Lagrange   08   19 Rinne no Lagrange   08   20 Rinne no Lagrange   08   21
Rinne no Lagrange   08   22 Rinne no Lagrange   08   23 Rinne no Lagrange   08   24
Rinne no Lagrange   08   25 Rinne no Lagrange   08   26 Rinne no Lagrange   08   27
Rinne no Lagrange   08   28 Rinne no Lagrange   08   29 Rinne no Lagrange   08   30
Rinne no Lagrange   08   31 Rinne no Lagrange   08   32 Rinne no Lagrange   08   33
Rinne no Lagrange   08   34 Rinne no Lagrange   08   35 Rinne no Lagrange   08   36

「鴨川ロリータ」 (Kamogawa Roriita)
“Kamogawa Lolita”

Ika Musume as a blond-haired pushy loli in my Lagrange? I didn’t even realize it was Kanemoto Hisako voicing Asteria Lizamarie de Rochefort until I saw the credits, but it sure proved to be a highlight after the fact since she ravaged Madoka and supposedly brought the U.S. President to tears over the phone. Better yet, it turns out she’s the reason behind Lan’s “wan” greeting, which sadly we may never see again given the latter’s traumatic realization that she’s been trolled all this time. Still, it was fun to watch Asteria’s arrival put everyone on edge, particularly Tadokoro, before things took a more serious turn with the rather surprising revelation that all the “aliens” are actually Earthlings who left the planet after the legendary Vox tragedy from 20,000 years ago. (Not 12,000 years like that other show, but 20,000.)

Granted, the revelation was only as surprising as Madoka took the news, seeing as it actually brought things “back down to Earth”. I quite liked the strong female bonds that followed suit though, as the lines continue to blur on who the antagonists of the series are (if there’s even one at all). Villagiulio still doesn’t seem nearly as bad as he’s trying to make himself out to be, and Array pretty much dropped a million notches down in the badass department after we found out he’s the personal maid to Asteria, which primarily leaves the Voces and the tragedy associated with them as the main source of conflict in the series. There are evidently a lot of differing views on making the “Flower of Rinne” blossom, and Villagiulio is looking more like an antihero than anything else since he’s expressed interest in seeing them destroyed before. Asteria’s decision to keep them around but not let them bloom on the other hand just foreshadows the scenario where they eventually will, with Moid striving to do so under the orders of Lan’s older brother, Fin e Ld c Dizelmine (Ono Daisuke).

Yes, you read that correctly, as it’s already been confirmed on the official website that Dizelmine is Laffinty’s brother and the current king of Le Garite. However, his calm and composed disposition doesn’t make him seem like an antagonist to me, as I get the feeling that he has his own beliefs about the Flower of Rinne and what happened 20,000 years ago on Earth. It doesn’t seem all that unlikely that the Flower of Rinne is actually good thing if it blossoms under the right circumstances — whatever those may be. Madoka obviously believes in Aura, as do Lan and Muginami who hilariously went on strike for her, so I’m going to take a wild stab and assume that there’s some history twisting going on with regards to the legend. At the moment, the best candidate for an actual antagonist would be Moid, since he probably has ulterior motives and is only obediently following Dizelmine’s orders for now. In any case, I hope Asteria will make regular appearances going forward, as she’s the only person who’s been able to get Madoka all flustered. I guess it comes with sexually assaulting her.

* That adorable Lan! That end card! This awesome series! Why am I yelling!?
* Full-length images: 05, 07, 24.

Rinne no Lagrange   08   Preview 01 Rinne no Lagrange   08   Preview 02 Rinne no Lagrange   08   Preview 03

End Card

Rinne no Lagrange   08   End Card
February 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm
  • February 28, 2012 at 10:00 pmDa5id

Single color theme, yellow dress, yellow hair, in the end card…

…would it be too much of a stretch to assume she’ll be piloting a yellow Vox? Probably the earth element one?

ANYWAY, great episode as usual.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:04 pmsuff

No more woof?! Noooo!!!

• February 28, 2012 at 10:55 pmThe Moondoggie

Too early to say. It might have become a habit she can’t get rid off. It will be this series best running gag ever.

• February 29, 2012 at 9:24 pmAex

The “wan” is NOT a lie!! It can’t be!! :x

• February 28, 2012 at 10:07 pmStilts

I enjoy how all the young girls are color coded for our convenience – green-ten (Madoka), blue-tan(Lan), orange-tan (Muginami) and yellow-tan (Asteria). I wonder when we’re going to get a purple-tan or indigo-tan or cyan-tan.

The series should have been been the Rainbow of Rin-ne, clearly ^^

• February 28, 2012 at 10:20 pmDa5id

What about Red-tan?!

• February 28, 2012 at 10:43 pmXziled

if i see a red-tan then screw it, im renaming this in my head as the “Super Vox Rangers”

• February 28, 2012 at 11:06 pmThe Moondoggie

@Xziled

LOL Vox Megazord…

• February 29, 2012 at 4:45 amVermillion

And there goes my imagination….

IT’S GLORIOUS.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:35 pmThe Moondoggie

We are one member short for a Five Girl Band.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:43 pmsuff

K-ON no Lagrange!

• February 29, 2012 at 1:49 amDa5id

But we are NONE short of a Four Girl Ensemble!

• February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pmThe Moondoggie

I opened the page for 4GE and AhhhH! AChannel D:

in a 4GE:
        Madoka: Wild Card
        Lan: The Ditz
        Muginami: The Sexy One
        Asteria: The Snark

in a 5GB:
        Madoka: The Hero
        Lan: The Lancer
        Muginami: The Chick
        Asteria: The Smart Guy
        ???????: The Big Guy

• February 29, 2012 at 7:11 pmDa5id

I really hope big means tall here…no muscle chicks, please.

• February 29, 2012 at 8:52 pmThe Moondoggie

It’s a figure of speech. Usually “the Big Guy” acts as The Berserker or Warrior Poet of the group. Attacking and the love for battle is her main description. Usually very GAR, bishounen/bifauxnen(if female?). As a female this is the one usually called “Onee-sama” by same sex admirers.

• February 29, 2012 at 9:36 pmDa5id

But they’re a berserker, wouldn’t that be better suited for the Ovid side?

I think they’re just gonna stick to these four for now. At least until the 2nd season this summer.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:07 pmsuff

I am happy about the explanations about aliens. I remember back in episode 1, I really, really hated the fact that the so-called ‘aliens’ looks exactly the same as humans. This was one of the reasons why I didn’t take the show seriously and considered dropping it.

Somehow I chose to be ignorant toward that problem and now I finally have an answer I am happy with.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:08 pmfragb85

This episode wins just for the Top Gun reference.

At this point I think the show is deliberately trying to provoke my Yuri detection. Madoka has the SWAG if she can somehow get groped by a loli(TWICE!), have Lan want to sleep with her, and then get sweet hugs from her harem in one episode.

It is nice to see Madoka show some character growth though, I would have expected her to protest with Lan and Muginami but instead she took the order to ground Midori seriously. Especially after she heard of the legend. Its obviously not going to last though. Also kudos for Tadokoro for trying to stand up for the girls. For a commanding officer, he’s alright. Especially since Asteria is BOSS enough to order around the President of theUSA.

All the exposition did make the setting more intresting. I like the idea of earth being the origin of all the planets. Gives a serious Sci-Fi vibe, and deepens the mystery of what exactly the Voxes are.

I was also laughed at Maid Array. I didn’t even notice him until he spoke a line. I guess his humiliation by Giant robot Suplex wasn’t enough. Well played show.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:13 pmDivine

Oh man that brings back memories. I love Top Gun.

• February 28, 2012 at 11:47 pminfo600

Sorry, the “people that migrated from earth 20,000 years ago” have more of a Stargate feel to me….

• March 1, 2012 at 5:40 amAni_BEE

I hadn’t realized the maid was Array either till the end but as soon as the “maid” came off the plane I started to laugh because the perpetually blush gave it away that Asteria had trolled a guy to wear a maid uniform. The rest of the episode I was waiting impatiently for him to say something to confirm it. The fact no one else said anything about it in the cast is what I found odd. lol

• February 28, 2012 at 10:13 pmKumaKaori

Why arent the Rest of us yelling!?!?! XD! Maruっ!… I bet Lan sticks with the greeting, ’tis her tic afterall >D.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:13 pmNhelraios

Prepare to GATTAI! Vox Aura as the head!

• February 28, 2012 at 10:37 pmThe Moondoggie

We can only wish….

• February 28, 2012 at 10:52 pmXziled

that would have been an interesting scene indeed

• February 28, 2012 at 11:02 pmKentaiyoshimi

MARUUU PUUUNCH!!!

• March 2, 2012 at 11:05 amKaryuu

Jersey-Tamashii Ken!!!

• February 28, 2012 at 10:14 pmgandalf8

A perverted, trolling loli holds the POTUS in the palm of her hands? Only in anime..

• February 28, 2012 at 10:14 pmKamui04

I think this line in the legend “Feeding off a tainted heart, they awaken from within the mind.” and the fact that the Voces are being by our three heroines is key in the outcome of the story.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:15 pmKamui04

*being piloted by*

• February 28, 2012 at 10:17 pmsuff

Oh, and I disagree with Divine about Dizelmine not being antagonistic. If anything, all evidence points out to that he will be *the* antagonist. Why else would you introduce a character by showing him speaking to his minion (Moid) only through holographic projection? Furthermore, he rules a kingdom and has the asset to do evil things (such as destroy the earth, etc.), something Moid himself cannot do.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:19 pmsuff

To further prove my point: calm and composed disposition = Schneizel el Britannia

• February 28, 2012 at 10:39 pmThe Moondoggie

Maybe Moid has other plans, example:

“Ruling all the galaxy with the power of the Vox…”

• February 28, 2012 at 10:42 pmsuff

Sure, I don’t deny that; Moid might be ANOTHER antagonist who may or may not act differently from Dizelmine. That doesn’t mean Dizelmine is totally innocent.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:53 pmThe Moondoggie

But Dizelmine emits the “Stern King Onii-chan” aura I see on many serious Lawful Good characters.

• February 29, 2012 at 1:07 amsuff

Yea, well, Schneizel gave me the same feeling.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:33 pmThe Moondoggie

LOLZ. Now we knowz where Lan gats “woof”. It iz eh keik!!!!!1!!

Sorry, I just WAN-t to go memetic about how Lan’s knowledge of greetings is a lie. (The cake is a lie, see?)

And so now we hear the full story: On the Last Glacial Maximum the hoomin…err, humans moved out to space. They are Lan’s and Mugi’s ancestors that colonized other worlds. The Vox caused the LGM and almost destroyed the world. Pretty funny now that I think about it, in a morbid sort of way. And it happened OVER 9000 years ago!(actually 20000 something)

Anyway for some tidbits I liek…:

Dawwwwww!

Goth loli as Da Boss! Proof that you don’t have to be large to be in charge…

“We fought over love….!” If my japanese is working well….
    Yuri points? Over 9000!

*Stares at teh maido*… Wait! Is that the shota from episode 1? Traps me liek! <3

• February 28, 2012 at 10:45 pmewok40k

1.Definitely I suspect 4th vox (Vox Terra?) for the Asteria to pilot.
    2.Moid is emanating more evil aura than certain nurse from hinamizawa!
    3.This show has put my yuri goggles out of order for the rest of season. anyway Eyeball Mk1 is all we need to spot Yuri here…
    4.Definitely, Rinne no Top Gun!

• February 29, 2012 at 1:09 amsuff

I actually think the 4th Vox will be piloted by an antagonist. Asteria doesn’t seem like one (come on, no antagonist grabs the protagonist’s boobs like that!)

• February 29, 2012 at 8:02 amiron2000

The Vox Legend only talks about 3 demons.
      Or is it incomplete?

Or is a 4th Vox at De Metrio?
      Something that that sidestory manga could have touched on?

Anyway I hope they will reveal the origins of the Vox units.

Wonder what they were like 20,000 years ago.
      Now they are duck-billed planes at ‘Kamo’gawa :P

• February 29, 2012 at 10:50 amGermanguy

Whats up with more then 3 Voxes? The OP only show us 3 Voxes…

• February 29, 2012 at 9:01 pmThe Moondoggie

@Germanguy

This anime is split in two. The second season might present more Vox machines.

And a Vox Megazord…

• March 1, 2012 at 3:35 amGermanguy

You know, you are somehow Spoiling the 2nd Season.

• March 2, 2012 at 11:07 amKaryuu

4th Vox = That BASE!
      See Macross!

• February 28, 2012 at 10:53 pmHeretic

I had a similar thought (even the Schneizel parallel). Fin gives me that bad guy vibe. It’s not uncommon for brother and sister to suddenly be on opposing sides and if her brother is the bad guy and she had to choose a side, Lan would probably side with Madoka eventually.

• February 28, 2012 at 10:54 pmHeretic

oops supposed to be a reply to suff.

• February 29, 2012 at 1:09 amsuff

:P

• February 28, 2012 at 11:03 pmRedjuiceFan

End card by one of my favourite artists. How awesome is that?

• March 1, 2012 at 12:00 pmboingman

And his name is…?

• February 28, 2012 at 11:04 pmKina

I don’t know if it’s even possible but this episode just made me love Madoka even more. This episode showed off all the parts of her personality so well and Asteria’s arrival even revealed a flustered side I didn’t know she could have considering how carefree she is around Lan and Muginami (swam with both naked and even embraced the latter in a steamy bath). That group hug looked so cute too.

• February 28, 2012 at 11:40 pmIzaak

Triforce anyone? Maybe all they need to do is to activate the Voces in reverse: red -> blue -> green. That’s how Zelda did it.

• February 29, 2012 at 12:07 amThe Moondoggie

But we have Green, Blue and ORANGE vox machines.

>.>

• February 29, 2012 at 12:39 amDa5id

REDish Orange. Especially when she’s next to Asteria.

• February 29, 2012 at 1:01 amThe Moondoggie

Still not RED…

• February 28, 2012 at 11:45 pminfo600

Well, there goes all those guesses we’ve made over the last few weeks out the window and down to the trash can.

Still, I’m surprised how Madoka’s personality rubbed off on Lan and Muginami already, while Madoka herself was the calm one (and going off of her lecture by her gym teacher still from last week, I presume…)

ANYWAY, who did not notice Array was in a maid costume until he started talking?

*raises hand himself*

• February 28, 2012 at 11:57 pmThe Moondoggie

I spotted him the moment he appeared on screen and I was like:

TRAPS!

• February 29, 2012 at 12:02 amc2710

lagrange continues to impress me more and more. and anyway…. harem boss madoka >> http://randomc.net/image/Rinne%20no%20Lagrange/Rinne%20no%20Lagrange%20-%2008%20-%20Large%2030.jpg

is fine by me. and oh… poor array….. gets demoted to being a maid

• February 29, 2012 at 1:09 amsuff

This pic looks like Madoka’s battle harem.

• February 29, 2012 at 1:49 amGermanguy

Definitely Madoka has the “Pants” on from this Girls. She has the Actions that you see in a Male Lead Char… Well, it still playing good as long they dont surpass the Line..

• February 29, 2012 at 2:10 amMrRei

Great.. now where do I sleep?!

• February 29, 2012 at 3:17 amRyuuzaki21

on top. pick one.. at a time :)

• February 29, 2012 at 2:53 pmShinjiro

I would sleep across the three of them. No touching. Thanks XP

• February 29, 2012 at 2:41 amKusabi

This episode is somehow not perfect because lack of “maru” from Madoka…

• February 29, 2012 at 3:35 amn0216332

sure hope we will see more “wan” :(
    proof a loli can get away with anything de geso >:)

• February 29, 2012 at 3:36 ammac65

Actually, I was thinking Victorique from Gosick – Ika was pushy but in a much more timid way
    (I didn’t match the voicer either – I only recognise one or two)…

The “woof” was so funny and fits perfectly with her personality to date – Lan through this series
    has been totally troll-able. I kinda makes me wonder if she’ll have a serious role or there’s
    something about her that hasn’t been revealed yet…

Well, you know something’s going to happen where Madoka will pilot the vox again – can’t wait!

Oh – BTW – how come no one else thought of going through the shaft!!! That’s like SOP in anything!

• February 29, 2012 at 5:19 amAnon

No one talking about “Scissors”…

• February 29, 2012 at 7:49 amewok40k

Because people are trying hard to keep the discussion at PG level (orz)…

• February 29, 2012 at 9:30 amAnon

There must be another explanation about that, it can be either has something to do with Japanese pun or maybe she’ll explain it later in the next episode.

• February 29, 2012 at 9:03 pmThe Moondoggie

Maybe ‘scissors’ has something to do with legs?

• February 29, 2012 at 7:50 amThe_Magus_Killer

So these alien invaders aren’t actually aliens at all? That’s like MechWarriors’ Inner Sphere vs. The Clans storyline, isn’t it?

Or if we borrow an expression from that other mecha anime, “Damn you Veigans/Vagans!” XD

• March 1, 2012 at 3:24 amewok40k

Yes! Mechwarrior reference definitely!

• February 29, 2012 at 7:55 amiron2000

Asteria sure is the boss!

The Vox Legend takes up main stage after the main girls arc.
    So what exactly is the ‘blossoming’?
    Doesn’t seem to be explained clearly but people like Asteria, Villa, Moid and Dizel seem to know.

So is Dizel the bad guy?
    Maybe for the first 12 eps?
    Then the true bad guy and more new characters will appear in the final 12 eps.
    Or perhaps its all Moid, waiting for the right time?

From the 2nd ep, Moid says that the Le Garite main force is at war elsewhere.
    What war? A Polyhedron territory expansion war?
    Or a war against Polyhedron? To separate from it?

Whatever thats outside Earth is a mystery factor for now.
    And everyone is hiding their motives.

Could whatever be happening now be a preparation for a real enemy(Polyhedron?)?
    Like in SRW and 00?

• February 29, 2012 at 10:54 amGermanguy

Woah, let us first get the First Season trough. You know, there where many Animes, that was planed for more. But have to be ended because of low viewers

• February 29, 2012 at 10:01 amteri

Divine, I was wondering if you could write who designed the ending card. I can’t read Japanese and I’d really like to know. :3

• February 29, 2012 at 10:52 amGermanguy

I quote for you:

[quote]RedjuiceFan

End card by one of my favourite artists. How awesome is that?
      [/quote]

So, try to ask him

• March 1, 2012 at 11:58 amboingman

2nding. Would be great if Divine could post the names for this one and the past end card artist’s. :)
      I think the name is written in the corner, right?
      For this one, the art looks like Boichi to me. I only recognize the one for end card 07, but forgot the name. I think it’s some hentai mangaka.

• March 1, 2012 at 12:00 pmboingman

“I only recognize” should be “I ALSO recognize”

• March 3, 2012 at 9:42 amiron2000

The artist is Midori Foo (碧風羽)
      An illustrator who has illustrated for light novels and online games.
      Her DA acct?

Found the name through the episode list in the JA wiki page.

• February 29, 2012 at 11:21 amPtolemaios00

I’m halfway convinced that Asteria is a trap.
    - She (maybe he) is definitely interested in Madoka’s boobs and butt. (but not Muginami’s for some reason)
    - She made Array cross dress perhaps as a pair to her own hobbies
    - She is extremely flat…
    - Or maybe she just wants to “scissor” with Madoka. (er…wow thats kinda ecchi)

• February 29, 2012 at 11:43 amGermanguy

Perhaps she is not from Earth. And some “Alien” like the others.. Thats why she is only Interest in Madoka, and can “command” the President around :)

• February 29, 2012 at 11:45 amGermanguy

Because an Current Time Earthling, can Awaken this Vox and so on. And she has this “Maid”.. To many hidden points i can see, that can proof my idea… But then why this Antique Room Style.. Perhaps a 20.000Year hit.. Well i can see all of that..

• February 29, 2012 at 1:07 pmPtolemaios00

However, her family seems absurdly rich and absurdly influential. I would assume then that the family has a well established history and lots of political clout.

Anyway, Earthling or not, “she” could still be a TRAP!

• February 29, 2012 at 5:14 pmskylion

Astaria. At first I was like “Gosick” and then she was all like “Seikon no Qwaser (lite)”. Which I am more than OK with.

• February 29, 2012 at 5:18 pmskylion

So, in the month of February we get: Shinobu in Nisemono, Princess Serenity in Bodacious, Crea and Yuhona in EVOL, and now Astaria in Rinne. The other shows are falling behind, and EVOL is up by a point in the loliolympics.

My predictions: Shinobu for the Gold with her awesome floor routine. You guys can pick the rest….

• February 29, 2012 at 9:34 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

It’s always the squinty-eyed, ever-smiling ones you need to look out for…

“Wan” was a lie…

• March 1, 2012 at 8:41 amRockmanshii

I can’t bring myself to like Asteria. It’s not a matter of being evil or not, it’s just that she gives vibes that she’ll do anything to achieve her goals.

I’m really happy about this episode. Rinne no Lagrange is moving faster than other shows, than let’s say, Mouretsu Pirates, as it’s trendy to compare the two, but I feel like it’s bigger picture or main story is much slower. I don’t know how to explain it but, to put it bluntly, I still don’t know what Rinne no Lagrange’s story exactly is about besides true friendship between girls (and boys to a lesser degree, for now anyway, judging from next episode’s preview) and mecha.
    Of course you can say that the story will be about the war between the different alien factions and how the city of Kamogawa is involved, or others variations of this, especially after all the backstory explained in this episode but I believe all of this is still speculation, and we only have an ébauche of the plot for now. It’s like if we’re still in the show’s introduction, it could as well go into a whole other direction.

All of this isn’t really a problem of course, and I love the show, but it troubles me when I’m at a loss for words when talking about the story when I try to make people watch the show. I just hope that the story will pick up pace.

• March 3, 2012 at 4:33 pmZannafar

Another great episode and another candidate for Madoka’s harem and this time it’s a dfc.
    Poor Lan will have more trouble with Asteria than with Muginami.
    Considering her ability to order people (especially men) around, I wouldn’t be surprised if she turned out to be a distant relative of Madoka and Youko.

I am surprised that several people have talked about how Muginami’s Vox is orange and not red but nobody seems to have pointed out that Madoka’s Vox is actually not green but turquoise (except for the lights).