Guilty Crown – 21 »« Guilty Crown – 19

Guilty Crown   20   19 Guilty Crown   20   20 Guilty Crown   20   21
Guilty Crown   20   22 Guilty Crown   20   23 Guilty Crown   20   24
Guilty Crown   20   25 Guilty Crown   20   26 Guilty Crown   20   27
Guilty Crown   20   28 Guilty Crown   20   29 Guilty Crown   20   30
Guilty Crown   20   31 Guilty Crown   20   32 Guilty Crown   20   33
Guilty Crown   20   34 Guilty Crown   20   35 Guilty Crown   20   36

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I’m covering for Divine, and will do so for today’s episode as well. Hopefully, I can deliver! Feedback is always welcome, so please don’t hesitate to comment. Now, without further ado: Guilty Crown Episode 20!

「追想 a diary」 (Tsuisou)
“Remembrance”

This was a pretty ‘quiet’ episode by Guilty Crown‘s standards, which is both a good and a bad thing. First, the good: exposition is never a bad thing. Next, the bad: this is the lead-in to the penultimate episode – not a good time for an info-dump, especially if it’s something viewers can piece together themselves. In any case, here’s a brief rundown of the ‘most important’ revelations:

Now, onto the tl;dr.

It was nice to get confirmation on some things I was unsure about. Shuu’s Void, for one. I was clear on what it did, but I wasn’t exactly sure what it was, because he pulled out that new arm with his left hand. Does he… really need his right arm then? So it was nice to get an explanation on that front, and it confirms Shuu’s Void as the titular ‘Guilty Crown’.

And whether for better or for worse, there’s also confirmation on Mana and Shuu’s relationship: biological siblings. Although it doesn’t come as a surprise, it’s been rather vague… especially since Haruka only referred to Mana as ‘her daughter’ last episode and didn’t elaborate on their relationship. And uh, also because it’s incest and I personally didn’t think GC would go there, with how much they push the whole ShuuxInori deal. But a confirmation is a confirmation. So um, thanks, writers.

Kurosu (voiced by Seki Toshihiko) was also good. A little more of him would’ve been nice because he has a lot of material to work with. Plus, he’s always been this omniscient presence in the show as the main behind the Void Genome. Keido seems to think everything is Kurosu’s ‘will’ (although if that’s just guilty conscience or genuine respect/fear talking, I’m not sure) and by that notion, it’s too bad we didn’t get to see more of him. But Kurosu Ouma was always a character meant to be viewed through someone else’s eyes, so what can you do?

Now, the bad. This episode was kind of like trying to block a hole in a backed-up dam with toilet paper. Sure, the little connections to past events (e.g. Yahiro and his brother in the park) was nice and it brought the whole Lost Christmas ordeal into perspective. But let’s consider how this episode started: Shibungi. I just about has the same reaction as Tsugumi. How and why is he there? Well I suppose the ‘why’ is obvious, but it’s the how that’s the biggest issue here. Gai… just let him go? With Kurosu’s diary? Just because Shuu deserves to die ‘knowing everything’? It’s not a logic that makes sense; the events just seem to happen because the writers need some way to explain back-story they had twenty episodes to tell.

And then came the shock of the day: Gai calls Keido ‘Dad’. That bit literally took me a couple minutes to digest because… what?

This brings up the same issue last week’s episode brought up when Haruka was revealed to be Keido’s sister. You can’t just drop plot twists out of nowhere (and so unceremoniously at that). Usually hints are supposed to be dropped throughout the series so that when the big moment finally comes, people can appreciate the surprise; those who figured it out can pat themselves on the back and those that didn’t can still go back and see that the hints were there. But this? This is worse than Haruka and Keido by far because what interaction has Keido and Gai had, really? There’s no build-up, no anticipation, no pay-off. Of course, the whole ‘Dad’ thing turns out to be fake, and it’s just Keido ‘rearing little boys’ to be Mana’s new mate. That’s a whole other issue onto itself, but I find these terrible exposition techniques to be a bigger issue since it’s the most influential factor in how viewers perceive the plot.

I suppose putting aside Shibungi and Gai/Keido, the rest of the episode really wasn’t too bad; it’s just some issues were too big to ignore. Other minor issues were still present, but it’s the typical stuff you can overlook. The very end of the episode was actually quite sweet, with Haruka revealing that Shuu’s name stands for ‘group’ – because unlike him, Kurosu wanted his son to ‘be with everybody’. As a mid-season episode this actually would’ve been pretty great. But that’s just the thing – we’re at the end here, and after Shuu finally stepped up last week, I really wanted something more. It’s a letdown, but hopefully the next episode can wash away the bitter taste in my mouth. I stuck with you all this time, Guilty Crown, don’t let me down now!

And with that… BakaMochi, out!

Full-size images: 01, 06, 14, 35

Guilty Crown   20   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   20   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   20   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

End Card

Guilty Crown   20   End Card 01
March 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm
  • March 15, 2012 at 4:52 pmDarkRyter

So there was an explanation for the “17 and Younger are the only ones with voids” thing that everyone was so upset about.

There are some guys are /a/ who are eatin some serious crow, now.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:59 pmDa5id

Wait, WHAT explanation? I think I missed something.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:30 pmDarkRyter

Well, that’s when the meteorite crashed. I figure having to be born post-meteorite was the deal. Okay, I guess it’s not really a full explanation, but it’s a connection, at least.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:48 pmDa5id

But we never saw a Void being pulled out then, so it’s possible that they could have pulled out Voids from minors at the time the meteor fell, but just didn’t have the technology.

Anyway, unless it’s about Katawa Shoujo, don’t expect /a/ to eat crow about anything, especially not Guilty Crown.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:57 pmchaos

@dark

OR…

Since Voids are “pieces of Mana”, anyone within her age bracket and below receives a piece of her.(Just a wild guess using this episode’s clues…)

• March 15, 2012 at 8:11 pmDa5id

Not Voids in general. Just the voids of people who were around during the events of Episode 12. That’s when Mana caused the “Second Apocalypse” whatever and her pieces got spread everywhere and into people through the virus.

So that has nothing to do with the weird age limit on having a Void, which has been in place well before the events of the series.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:17 pmSeven

target audience?

• March 15, 2012 at 11:42 pmsuff

I am pretty sure the reason was that only children around the age of 7 or younger could be infected by Mana’s shards. But yea, it was arbitrary.

• March 15, 2012 at 11:44 pmsuff

If my timeline is correct (http://randomc.net/2012/03/15/guilty-crown-20/comment-page-1/#comment-795980), then Mana was 12 at the time and the people who are 17 now were only 7. There is actually a 5 years gap.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:04 pmSeven

Yeah what are you talking about, That one dude from Funeral Parlor with the flash light void was way over 17.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:34 pmchaos

• March 15, 2012 at 6:42 pmSeven

Okay, I stand corrected. Any reason he looks like he’s thirty?

• March 15, 2012 at 6:47 pmDa5id

Probably the same reason Gai looks 25.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:18 pmSeven

time machine void?

• March 15, 2012 at 7:49 pmDa5id

Steins;Crown?

• March 15, 2012 at 8:57 pmKusabi

Guilty;Gate is more appropriate, I think. D-Mail is more powerful than any Voids anyway.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:15 pmSeven

How do you figure? what, are you going to mail your self a letter after you get killed by a void to not go to where you got killed?
        Don’t see how that would work. I’m not defending voids or anything, the void concept sucks.
        But I wonder if Mayuri’s void is some kind of banana?

• March 15, 2012 at 9:35 pmDa5id

I actually think that Voids could have been used well…if they didn’t start acting like they had to show EVERYONE’S. Again, it’s like the ran out of Void ideas and just drew Void sticks.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:38 pmDa5id

And D-mails were actually far more powerful. If Shu had a time leap machine telling him “DON’T LET SOUTA TOUCH OR DO ANYTHING” he’d be far better off.

Although, something tells me Hare would have died anyway, unless they went to a different world line where Inori dies.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:44 pmKusabi

“Deceive yourself; deceive the world” concept, maybe?
        No, I think Mayuri’s void is karaage #1, banana is Daru’s.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:49 pmSeven

I don’t know I still think voids top D mail. you can kill with a void, you can’t kill with a letter, and you can’t send a letter if you get killed by a void

• March 15, 2012 at 9:57 pmDa5id

@Seven

Not directly. But you can tell yourself: “Hey, the students are gonna betray you, then Gai is going to fall out of the sky and chop your arm off.” Then you’re prepared, betray them first and kill Gai before he gets to you. A little heads up does wonders.

• March 16, 2012 at 2:37 amSeven

Yeah but…. if his power is D mail opposed to voids why would the students be following him in the first place?

• March 16, 2012 at 2:41 amDa5id

Well, if Shu had the ability to change the past, he probably wouldn’t need any followers in the first place.

Yep, we can all agree Shu would be far better off if he was more like his father HOOOOOUUUUOOOOIIIIIN KYOOOOOUUUUUUUMAAAAA.

• March 16, 2012 at 8:12 amSeven

You know what, forget the time machine void. It’s gay. what we need is a Charizard void, Clearly the better choice.
        Charizard void > D mail > other gay voids(like souta’s can opener void)

• March 15, 2012 at 5:00 pmGS

19? 20? I’m lost.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:05 pmBakaMochi

Sorry! It’s fixed now!

• March 15, 2012 at 7:03 pmDjalaal

I still see episode 19 in your intro.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:03 pmPtolemaios00

I like the background story…much better than the current story.
    Shuuichiro’s actions seem a little more logical now instead of just being a old man trying to marry Inori/Mana. Also, how he seems to have easily relinquished power to Gai/Triton.

• March 16, 2012 at 1:36 pmAni_BEE

It kind of sad that I found the background episode more compelling then the story so far as well. >__< just watched 21….. will wait till the offical post to make commentso no that ne.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:05 pmrochichan

Who’s Daath again? So many things are happening I can’t retain what’s going on anymore… And the Shu and Mana thing… that’s just blegh. Why did Mana choose him?

And I agree with the Shibungi. When I first saw him, I was like: Did I miss something from the previous episode?

Guilty Crown is confusing me. :/

• March 15, 2012 at 5:06 pmThe Moondoggie

Guilty Crown 19…

But this is Guilty Crown 20.

Definitely a quiet episode. And they finally explained Shuu’s relationship with Mana and confirms Da5id worst fear: They’re biologically siblings.

Now as for Gai letting him go, I think its something to do with having no remorse in killing Shu without Shu knowing anything about why is all these things happening. Hey, it’s Gai’s fault Shu is pulled into this after all the years Haruka made effort in hiding/protecting Shu. At least, if he is to kill Shu, Shu has the right to know why.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:28 pmUnknownSoldier

Mmm, Shoe and his military-grade segway. I know nothing strikes fear into me like someone coming at me on a segway.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:29 pmUnknownSoldier

And derp. Thought this was episode 21.

/facepalm

• March 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm0927123

But yeah, kinda ruined the mood for me. Who could take a segway seriously? :S

• March 15, 2012 at 8:49 pmschwegburt

That one Mall Cop movie made them look pretty bad ass. Anyone with enough disregard for their image to ride a segway should be feared.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:32 pmpata

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:17 pmSeven

Man bro, you’re so cool. Thanks for letting us know you dropped the show. I know I sure care about some random nobody over the internet and what shows he watches. Oh wait, No I don’t.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:32 pmDa5id

So weird that Shu’s dad only shows up for about 10-15 minutes and yet I like him and understand him far better than Shu throughout the entire series. Also, Evangelion Episode 21, anyone?

And another thing!

Can anyone possibly identify any of the voids there besides Arisa’s and the enforcers’? Most of them just look like high-tech sticks. The don’t even resemble real objects, unless somehow all of them are paddles or staffs of some sort. And then there’s the missle Gai made.

Voids: A Sci-Fi plot device that completely and utterly wasted by this show.

So with 2 episodes left (I haven’t finished 21 yet), we still have no idea about how Gai made FP, how he met Inori (or anything else about her either), how he got brought back from the grave, who Yuu is (he’s from Daath but that doesn’t tell me anything about HIM), or how voids were first discovered in the first place. Anything else I’m missing?

I’ll post impressions of 21 when the post comes. Good first post, Bakamochi!

• March 15, 2012 at 5:43 pmThe Moondoggie

The part about Gai coming back from the dead. I get the impression Gai is Keido’s chosen one and built Gai to be indestructible.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:52 pmDa5id

Okay, I saw a scene of him right after being revived, but no explanation as to HOW they did it.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:59 pmThe Moondoggie

“How” huh?

Truth to be told I don’t know either and I’m guessing you won’t get than answer… Unless Gai betrays Keido and Keido gives a “I made you, why do you betray me…” speech.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:07 pmDa5id

That looks like a big possibility…

So they’re just…bringing people back from the dead with alien macguffin tech? That’s all we get?!

• March 15, 2012 at 8:04 pmThe Moondoggie

Probably, probably not.

Maybe it’s too much to say that Keido brought Gai back from the dead. Maybe Gai really didn’t die that episode after all and he only needed a few fixings. Hey, Keido survived when that tower collapsed. I have said it before, but they might have dug out Gai afterwards.

Remember the Leukocyte incident with the meeting? Gai was left standing. If he had survived that, it isn’t far-fetched that he might have survived that tower too.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:08 pmDa5id

But in Episode 12, he disintegrated along with Mana. He was at least dead FOR A TIME. It’s possible they brought him back by getting enough pieces, like with Mana, but if that’s the case…why didn’t they just say that?

• March 15, 2012 at 8:21 pmThe Moondoggie

Well they must have thought it isn’t really important… That, or that the info would have been a very big spoiler for something they were planning, like, for example, reviving dead characters with the same method.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:29 pmDa5id

But it wouldn’t have been a spoiler at all. It could have been a huge hint towards how Mana was being revived, and then the events leading up to the reveal about her would have had some structure. Instead, they just dropped random scenes and info in random places.

• March 16, 2012 at 6:39 amronri

Not sure if people agree with me here, but I’d sure as hell count the first half’s finale with Mana as being one of the strong points of the series. For once I felt like a lot foreshadowed things amounted to a nice conclusion, which is more than what one can expect from a series like GC.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm0927123

It seems that the writers have improved their writing at this point? hehe

• March 15, 2012 at 6:25 pmDa5id

Yeah, GC is great now. It’s kind of like ZZ Gundam. You just need to watch 19 episodes of ABSOLUTE SHIT to get to the good episodes.

Except that in this series, that only leaves 3 episodes of quality material that should have been the standard from the beginning.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:59 pmschwegburt

Da5id – Our expectations for what constitutes good have received such a vicious mauling by the bulk of Guilty Crown that we regard average quality episodes, like these, as good.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:08 pmDa5id

I’m talking about how you would recommend Guilty Crown to someone who didn’t watch it as it was airing.

Although you’d have to really hate that person to recommend them Guilty Crown. It’s 8.5 hours of disappointments.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:17 pmfragb85

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was all s***. GC did have some good episodes sprinkled around its run. Its just that the good episodes constantly get followed by episodes filled with so much stupid it invalidates whatever good episodes that came before it.

That’s the problem with GC. There is a saying “If you hit rock bottom, the only way left is up”. GC doesn’t follow that, its more like “If you hit rock bottom, the only way left is up but then you get kicked back down everytime”.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:18 pmKusabi

@Da5id: we watch GC weekly. Just recommend them to watch it marathon. Hopefully they have different opinion from us here in RandomC.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:40 pmDa5id

What if I recommend it as a “So Bad It’s Good” show? Because I’ve been doing that with a couple friends and they’re having a lot of fun predicting all of the plot devices and cliches.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:53 pmChiyo

“You just need to watch 19 episodes of ABSOLUTE SHIT to get to the good episodes.”

I like how people keep saying this every week (except obviously replace 19 with x number of episodes).

Agree with fragb85, this show has had its ups and downs. It’s just the ups have been overshadowed by the downs that no one bothers to acknowledge them anymore and would rather just write the entire show off as being shit.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:54 pmSeven

I think at this point the writers are just like, “hell, let’s just go with the apocalypse ending”. A nice clean finish, you know kill off everyone so they can start fresh on season two.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:04 pmDa5id

But why does the good stuff even matter when it’s only about 10 percent of the show?

• March 15, 2012 at 10:12 pmChiyo

But isn’t it funny how repeatedly week after week people keep saying. WHY IS IT ONLY GOOD NOW? When everything before was shit. Come next week: WHY IS IT ONLY GOOD NOW?! When everything before was shit. Come the week after that: WHY IS IT ONLY GOOD NOW?! And repeat. Sounds like more than 10% of the show to me.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:14 pmChiyo

Also note this has been happening for a while. Since before season 2 started. Not just the last couple of episodes.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:24 pmDa5id

Okay, the instances of this happening that I remember were in (and if there were others, please point them out):

Episode 13 (Beginning of 2nd half, chance for the show to have a redeeming 2nd half)
        Episode 15 (Shu finally shows he’s serious, but this was before we knew it was just an act and he was exactly the same, but whinier)
        And this episode (20, except most people only liked the flashback material, and changed back to dislike when it got back to present events)

That’s 15%. 3/20. Ep 21 had good action, but all of them do, so that doesn’t count. Those three episodes were praised as good because they looked like the beginning of GC finally becoming passable, but instead it just made us lower our standards after each turn, so that the lowering quality seems the regular thing. Then it follows it up with another disappointment and lowers it even more.

The finale is next week. There’s no possible way to tie everything up in one episode and not look like a total mess. I’m going in open-minded, but my standards are at the absolute bottom. If there’s any closure at all, it will exceed all expectations.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:39 pmChiyo

lol point them all out? With GCs comment count and no. of episodes? Please I have a life.

I just marathoned the series the in the past 1-2 weeks and noticed certain patterns in the comments when I went to review each episode on RC. And this was one of them. Though if you care enough feel free to review those thousands of comments yourself. I’m sorry, I honestly don’t care enough to do so for you.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:42 pmDa5id

I can see you also don’t care enough to actually back up your statements.

Either way, one or two good episodes will never save a series so consumed with bad ones like GC.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:45 pmChiyo

Go look for yourself. It’s all recorded for you. Frankly I think you care a lot more than me.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:48 pmDa5id

I already did, that’s why I was able to point out the episodes where it DID happen, and where it did was very rare. I know it didn’t happen during the last 4, that’s for sure.

• March 15, 2012 at 11:25 pmThe Moondoggie

@Da5id

While I can agree in that “one or two episodes can’t save a show…” deciding whether there ARE only one or two episodes, and which ones are they, is a personal opinion. The episodes you pointed out might not be liked by some.

If you are aiming to be impartial on commenting this show like Divine, and now Mochi, it is important one must acknowledge the good parts as well as the bad.

If not then you should be accustom to the pros and cons clashing. Or people neutral calling on cons who are too vocal.

Frankly I’m tired with this and would just like to discuss the key points of the plot rather than go pro or con about it (=_=’)

@Chiyo

If you must know, Da5id does care about this show, and so do a lot of the cons who were disappointed because they expected too much from the hype.

• March 15, 2012 at 11:37 pmhoiut

Maybe we can count episode 11.5 as another high point (or, really, episodes 1 and 2, since that’s mainly what the flashback recapitulated). If you count a few other portions of a few other episodes as having any degree of merit to them whatsoever, we can passably say 5/20 is “good” by your standards. A whopping 25%!! XD

Throw in the good character designs, decent animation, and great soundtrack — you’ve got up to 50% goodness here! (Of course, most of us wouldn’t choose to watch a show that falls under 70% in hindsight anyway).

But everything is subjective — even the stats. This show will be the Daath of me yet!

• March 16, 2012 at 12:07 amDa5id

They expected as much as they were supposed to, Moondoggie. And I even ended up not liking those episodes anyway because what they set up never occurred. Even you were disappointed by the fact that Shu never wanted to destroy everything.

Simply put, this show did not achieve what it set out to. Again, even forgetting the hype, the story itself just doesn’t work. You can’t keep praising the animation and music when the most crucial element, the plot, continues to not cover things properly. As said by other people here, this show hasn’t been held up to high standards in a long time. In fact, it’s held at a lower standard than most of the shows this season, and definitely the lowest of the shows covered on this blog.

It has the semblance of a basic plot and goal, but it’s actually the bullemic husk of a show that thinks that proper storytelling makes it look obese. It’s got too few episodes to have good pacing or exposition, and because of that, covers up how weak it is with a ton of make-up, I.E. the music and animation. What it’s needed the whole time is some meat on its bones (spotlight on characters, giving substance and feeling to events, and character interactions), without throwing it back up in the toilet when no one’s looking (I.E. negating the hints at characters it made a few episodes before, teasing ships that go nowhere, and backstory’s that are handwaved or glossed over instead of being given proper focus).

I don’t know how to be more objective here. This show is just fails outright on telling a story and reaching a goal. This is my opinion of course, but can anyone who has read about any sort of book on writing structure say that this show was good in any sort of aspect other than looking and sounding nice?

• March 16, 2012 at 12:09 amDa5id

*derp, objective and having an opinion?

Yeah…forget that first sentence of that last paragraph. I’m pretty biased here, I know, but I feel like I made a point.

• March 16, 2012 at 1:48 amDa5id

Since I feel sufficiently embarrassed with how negative I’ve been on this entire series, I’m gonna challenge myself to be less biased about this show with the penultimate episode.

My first post on the Episode 21 review will only be about the things I liked about the episode, without a hint of irony, as well as what I realistically hope to be resolved in the finale. GET YOUR POSITIVE GUNS ON.

in b4 “lol dave no one cares what you think”

• March 16, 2012 at 2:15 amSeven

Know what? you inspired me to try the same. Let’s see… good things about GC.
        Okay, The first few episodes where really good because at that point we did not know how bad the show actually was.
        wait…. that was counter intuitive, give me a bit. I’ll think of something.
        P.S. speaking of early episodes was there any reason Inorie was playing cat’s cradle? she did it like once and we never saw it again.

• March 16, 2012 at 2:16 amThe Moondoggie

@Da5id

I never did say I was disappointed with GC as a whole when Shu refused to be an antihero… Sure it was a bit sad there’s no holocaust but I had no problems with the show. I can figure out most of the plot holes pointed out, such as the “no look” void summoning.

This week episode looks pretty tight. I hope there’s build-up for the finale…

• March 16, 2012 at 2:36 amDa5id

And I didn’t say you were. I just mentioned you were disappointed by that one thing.

Anyway POSITIVES.

• March 16, 2012 at 2:47 amqwerty

Well that would be refreshing. Here’s hoping you manage to pull it off :)

• March 16, 2012 at 6:42 amronri

*Gahhh, re-posting this again because I accidentally posted on the wrong set of replies. >_>

• March 15, 2012 at 5:37 pmsuff

Timeline:

2013 – Shuuichiro and Kurosu met
    2017 – Kurosu’s Genome Resonance Theory, and his first wife, Shijou Saeko
    2018 (est.) – Mana was born
    2022 – Apo. Virus; Mana was infected
    2023 – The virus is confirmed; Shu was born probably this year, as well
    2024 (est.) – Inori was born as a clone of Mana (estimated through Inori’s age)
    2028 – Kurosu met Haruka. Since Haruka just started university and skipped a grade, she was ~17 back then (born in ~2011). Assuming that Shuuichiro was 22 when Shuuichiro and Kurosu met (reasonable age for graduate students), then Shuuichiro and Haruka has a ~20 years age difference (wow!); on the other hand, Haruka is only **7** years older than Mana.
    2029 (summer) – Mana picked up Gai from the beach.
    2029-12-25 – Lost Christmas – Shu and Gai were ~7 years old. Mana was ~12
    2039 – The story begins. Shu is 17, Gai is 17, Haruka is ~28; if Mana was alive she would be ~22 right now.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm0927123

EP 19 Writer: Sir, you’ve been quiet this past week. What’s wrong?
    GC Producer: You talking to me?
    EP 19 Writer: Yes, what’s wrong? anything that you didn’t like about the episode?
    GC Producer: Oh great, now you’re asking me what’s wrong and what I didn’t like. Why was Segai killed off just like that? He was a great villain and had so much potential!
    EP 19 Writer: Uhm I was kinda annoyed with him and his quirkiness, I mean he’s going gaga over a spectacle of lights, like, what a freaky guy!
    GC Producer: And just for that you killed him, and in such a weird way.
    EP 19 Writer: Yes, just like that. I felt no connection to him, maybe because I’m new here.
    GC Producer: Okay that’s it. GET OUT, RIGHT NOW! Would someone search me new writer for our upcoming episode, do it quick.

GC Producer: Hey newbie how’re you doing here?
    EP 20 Writer: I’m doing good sir, and you?
    GC Producer: Oh nothing much, but I just wanted to ask you about the episode.
    EP 20 Writer: Is there something wrong?
    GC Producer Uh no no no, the episode was quite nice with all the flashback and explanation. But really it opened up more questions than it closed up. You think we have time? We more or less have two episodes to accomplish things.
    EP 20 Writer: Sir I’m doing my very best to wrap this mess up quite nice, so if you please could just relax and have a seat. In the first place it’s your fault for hiring a different writer each episode, trying to please every fan and trying so hard not to copy anyone else. I’m not mad just explaining. So with all due respect sir, excuse me, I’m gonna go and think of something that will shock the whole audience.
    GC Producer Okay.jpg

• March 15, 2012 at 5:44 pmDa5id

I like EP 20 Writer.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:38 pmsuff

btw end cad is broken.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:50 pmsuff

thanks for the speedy fix!

• March 15, 2012 at 6:54 pmBakaMochi

No problem. Let me know if anything else is broken!

• March 15, 2012 at 5:48 pmKusabi

No mention of Shijou Saeko whatsoever?

• March 15, 2012 at 6:06 pmDa5id

There’s not really anything to mention. She was a milf, though.

Kurosu and Saeko probably represent the two extremes of characterization in Guilty Crown. Kurosu is a full developed character that only shows up for one episode, and Saeko has almost nothing to her besides a name and occupation. She might as well not appeared at all.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:23 pmKusabi

Milf, you say? lol.
        I guess you’re right. I’m starting to compare this show with Shana, too many “side” characters without a tiny bit information. Nevertheless, I’m watching both shows until the end.
        Production I.G. and J.C.Staff, c’mon, blow your budget in final episode next week!

• March 16, 2012 at 11:53 amD-LaN

Sorry, but may I know who is s/he?

• March 17, 2012 at 1:49 amKusabi

First wife of Kurosu Ouma.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:09 pmTehJonel

Epic episode.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:22 pmNorioku

Please review episode 21 it was awesome. I really enjoyed the way you delivered us this episode you made the perfect critics where need be and highlighted the revelations. I have to admit I would like to see some more speculation for the finale when the next review comes up, but you have nothing to envy divine. congrats keep it up!

• March 15, 2012 at 6:31 pmsealouse

I gotta admit when I compare this to LE 2 I like LE 2 more.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:44 pmEmD

I think Gai called Keido ‘Dad’ to be an ass because Keido had raised him to be Adamn lol nothing more than that.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:50 pmSeven

Could that end card be any less subtle?

• March 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm0927123

Don’t even go there. :S

• March 15, 2012 at 7:12 pmDa5id

“I’m about to erase all the memories and emotions that constitute you as a person.”

Well, THAT shouldn’t take too long!

• March 15, 2012 at 7:19 pmKusabi

Da5id, no spoiler for ep 21, please.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:24 pmDa5id

Okay…

It’s just…what the hell just happened.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:36 pmKusabi

Well, I do kind of understand your feeling though. Anyway, no spoilers. Let BakaMochi having fun writing the next ep post.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:17 pmshamaticgrl

and then the next plot twist/surprise is Kurosu walk in during the battle and throws everything we know about the series (which is very little due to how many holes this story has…I still believe in you GC!) out the window =.=

• March 15, 2012 at 7:22 pmSeven

The whole show is actually Shu having a dream, and in the last 40 seconds of episode 22 he is going to wake up and go eat breakfast.

• March 18, 2012 at 1:37 pmshamaticgrl

Inception!? @.@ nver!

• March 15, 2012 at 7:22 pmDjalaal

Even though there are still a few episodes left, I have a feeling that this could be posted under 2012 anime’s biggest disappointment.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:38 pmfragb85

“Hey Souta, remember when you had a close friend of mine killed because you were a dumbass and I drove you to slavery while you were dying of a horrible disease? Let’s forgive each other now because we’re friends and friends treat each other that way!” I mean wow, they are so intent on trying to make Shu a nice person(again) but they failed to portray his “friendship” with Souta in any meaningful way that it needed manly hugs. Also no one calls out Yahiro for all the awful things he’s done so f*** him.

The flashback was decent since its fills some plotholes(or tries to anyway). Unfortunately this kind of backstory should have been told MUCH earlier. As it stands all this episode does is destroy the momentum that the last episode had. At this points GC should have been building up its climax with its last three episodes, but instead it wasted time with flashbacks. Just shows more sign of the awful pacing.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:48 pmSeven

I personally though they were going to start making out. Nothing is out of the question at this point in the story.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm0927123

That scene with Souta was sooo awkward. Tsundere Souta, Bromance much?

• March 15, 2012 at 8:34 pmSeven

There are some really gay underling tones to considering what voids are.
        Shu’s all like “Let me give you your heart void back”
        then Souta is like “nah bro you keep it”
        shu: Ok!
        bro hug

• March 15, 2012 at 8:34 pmSeven

Yeah ok messed that up. No idea how to use the cross out thing

• March 15, 2012 at 7:48 pmMM

the pickled radishes return! next weeks episode is more pickled radishes with an apple \

• March 15, 2012 at 8:16 pmBeckett

Best thing about this episode is that Shuu’s stepmom was an ILF before she added the m and became a MILF. Serious hottie. Too bad the story itself is still boring. Although boring is an improvement over ridiculous unintentional hilarity, which is what most episodes of this show manage.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:24 pmpwnzarsaurus

This episode was actually good!

• March 15, 2012 at 8:41 pmKusabi

Are we even watching the same episode?

• March 15, 2012 at 9:12 pmKusabi

Oh, I don’t see comment below. Curses no real-time updated comment.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:25 pmpwnzarsaurus

^^^

Srry, my bad guys. Posted on the wrong anime.

• March 15, 2012 at 8:43 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

So a brown haired mother plus a brown haired father equals pink haired daughter? Kurosu, your wife’s cheating on you!!!

Kidding aside, now we know that Mana/Inori and Shu is really wincest, not that I care because I’ve come to like InoriXShu pairing (though I still like an AyaseXShu pairing).

To be honest I’m quite disappointed with Shu. I was hoping he’d go through a self-destructive tragic hero path alone. I suppose I wanted his friends to feel the guilt of betraying him as they watch him take on everything alone. Instead, Shu took all those feelings of hatred away and reconciled with them. Shu, you really are a martyr.

So, I’ll be watching GC 21. I hope it turns out good!

• March 16, 2012 at 10:31 amBakaMochi

Took the words right out of my mouth. I had no idea brown + brown = pink.

It would’ve been nice to see Shuu go through everything alone, but I guess that would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole show – you can only be ‘guilty’ when you’re using something you’re not supposed to. In this case, that’s his friends.

I just…. really wish they hadn’t had that awkward, awkward bromance scene…

• March 16, 2012 at 12:07 pmD-LaN

Simple, Dad recessive pink hair gene (if there one) + mom recessive pink hair gene = Pink. Genetics :p

• March 16, 2012 at 1:58 pmCrucible

lol that’s like 0.1% chance both being recessive? talk about luck of the cosmos…

• March 16, 2012 at 2:13 pmDa5id

BY THE WILL OF DAATH, YOUR DAUGHTER SHALL HAVE ANIME HAIR.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:00 pmJustinnnnnn

Nice post! So you tried to calmly name the good and the bad things…Respect yo, usually one simply rushes to adress all the flaws GC has each week.

These past two episodes have been an enjoyable step-up from previous episodes. But after seeing Inori go berserk and show emotions and go mutant all in one episode…That was the tipping point for me: “Okay, I had been tolerable with you, GC. But now, you are oficially shit.”

• March 15, 2012 at 9:04 pmDa5id

Now Shu has 3 options:

Mass Effect 3 Spoilers: Don’t read unless you’ve at least heard about the ending

• March 15, 2012 at 9:08 pmfragb85

So basically a choice between three different colors of explosions Apocalypse Virus.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:27 pmDa5id

Pretty much. Thanks Bioware I.G.!

• March 15, 2012 at 9:06 pmBlackStealth1989

This should have been the first episode…

• March 15, 2012 at 9:43 pmronri

Better than I expected. The exposition was nice, and I much prefer than constantly putting in many twists for shock-value. If this episode any indication, hopefully GC ends quite nicely.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:09 pmLuxor

I got major Akira vibes from this still. There are a bunch that I’ve jotted down, but maybe I’ve missed a few. I know these are generic as hell, but a series adapting parts of a landmark anime/manga isn’t surprising at all.

1. a Japan that is devastated by some telekinetic blast/void thing,
    2. foreign powers are trying to assert control and calm everything down,
    3. the good guys’ ragtag team against some government test gone wrong,
    4. secret tests on kids,
    5. kids with powers derived from said tests,
    6. former protagonist-turned-antagonist with said powers,
    7. an orbiting laser cannon,
    8. Prostitute(s).

• March 15, 2012 at 10:19 pmEnd3rr

• March 15, 2012 at 10:31 pminfo600

@ BakaMochi: I have to correct you on one thing, the voids themselves were scattered 17 years ago, the pieces of Mana were scattered 10 years ago.

…that reminds me, maybe the resonance gauge measures how much of the voids in them that have Mana’s shards?

…and onto my original piece typed up from a week ago:

And the original station of where this trainwreck-to-be came from has been sighted… and it’s beautifully weaved into the story, shame that awkward chat ruined it for quite a number of people…(I shall remain neutral on that tyvm)

the long spoilerific Summary:Show Spoiler ▼

Thoughts/Predictions:
    -everyone’s hope that Shu and Mana are not actual sibilings just shatters into microscopic fragments
    -this whole flashback links back to episode 12 AND 9 (note Yahiro and his little brother in there)
    -Gai’s original sacrifice to take Mana with him failed on a fundimental level BEFORE he starts it…and we can’t really sob on it because Mana and Gai are still here somehow
    -Surprising to learn of the relation between Gai and the “governor”
    -who is this “Daarth” person anyway, since Yuu here mentions of his employer several times now…
    -the man to man awkwardness between Shu and Souta…who finds it normal anyway?
    -the main trio – consisting of Gai, Inori Mana, and Shu – are all gonna die – barring any deux ex machina appearing in the end, while all the voids that Shu’s borrowing would be sent back to the others

Extra (spoiler-tagged for convinence):
    OP2 impression:Show Spoiler ▼

ED2 impression:Show Spoiler ▼

Next week preview thoughts:
    -Shu charge into the villan’s lair has no weak points, NO SIRE…
    -and whats with the virus expanding on him??
    -UN navy…so toasted, we should not be seeing that at all…

• March 16, 2012 at 10:36 amBakaMochi

I thought Lost Christmas was the reason the Apocalypse Virus (which I understood to be originating from the same meteor as the rock Kurosu found) even started in the first place, and that’s how Mana’s shards got scattered?

Can anybody confirm?

Also, which conversation are you talking about?

• March 16, 2012 at 4:44 pminfo600

I was reading Animesuki Forums were some ppl said that the talk between Shu and Souta was awkward as !@#$…

as for the 17 yr and 10 yr dispute, check over the section where Haruka finished analyzing Shu’s void…She made it VERY clear about when Mana’s essence being scattered…

• March 15, 2012 at 10:34 pmD-LaN

Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Resident Evil 5 meets Assassin Creed(the whole secret organization thing).

And I am still confused. (not good at names)

• March 15, 2012 at 10:56 pmX

Man I really need to stop getting surprised each episode of this show, or else I’ll suffocate from gasping too much.

• March 16, 2012 at 12:52 amFT5Havok

This series looks interesting ! Is is worth watching ??

• March 16, 2012 at 1:05 amKusabi

It’s really worth watching to wasting your time about 8 or so hours if you watch it marathon.

• March 16, 2012 at 1:13 amFT5Havok

I think I will give it a shot since everyone is talking about Guilty Crown. I want to know what’s all the ruckus about. Wish me luck!! =)

• March 16, 2012 at 5:05 amKusabi

Yes, I really hope you’re not going to bald from frustration after watching it… Wait, what am I saying? I hope you find Guilty Crown interesting, and I really hope that you will give us your positive comment(s) about it in the penultimate and final episode post later. Ganbatte.

• March 16, 2012 at 1:07 amThe Story You Don’t Know

• March 16, 2012 at 1:17 amFT5Havok

I shall marathon Guilty Crown tonight!! Wish me luck!!=)

• March 16, 2012 at 1:28 amDa5id

Definitely agree on the art, animation and music. One time, I listened to the OST in a loop for weeks.

The rest is…yeah…definitely mixed.

• March 16, 2012 at 6:11 am0927123

Report back if you can.

• March 16, 2012 at 11:46 amD-LaN

Weeell, if u r a person tht enjoy almost anything and couldn’t find a flaw until someone told you (like me. I thought GC was quite good until I visited this site for the 1st time. And I still think it’s watchable.), go ahead. Also, enjoy the crazy plot twist and surprising similarities/squickiness on the almost same level of NGE.

• March 16, 2012 at 1:53 amunderMebius

The only thing irritating me is Shu getting back with his friends. I mean, didn’t they just tried to kill him a few episodes ago!?

ESPECIALLY SOUTA AND SUGAR UGH

• March 16, 2012 at 2:37 amDa5id

Seriously, why are they still alive.

• March 16, 2012 at 2:19 amRainbowIslands

So Mana is crazy because of Shijou Saeko. Way to fill in the gap of why Mana is crazy with a new character.

So everyone knows Mana is capable of “controlling the void genome” (playing with it?!) but no body actually thought of the threat it might pose. It’s SPACE MATERIAL with properties they don’t even know, and they just let a girl wander around who got cut by it and spread the disease. No sense of Quarantine?! Plus they realized it IS a virus. No wonder Lost X’mas occurred(Dumb people everywhere). And Keido saying it’s Kurosu’s will. HE KILLED HIM AND STOLE HIS DIARY. He did it against his will, how is that succeeding somebody’s will?! Anime Logic. Thanks.

About Next episode: too much Bible reference :/ (And we will prolly never know how Daath is able to teleport around.)

• March 16, 2012 at 5:12 amKusabi

As I said to Da5id above, I’d appreciate it if you’re not giving spoiler. We don’t know if all RandomC readers have watched ep 21 yet. This show is popular and draw many readers, after all. Just wait until BakaMochi post Guilty Crown ep 21 later.

• March 16, 2012 at 4:21 amThe Concoction

Don’t worry Inori,I’m still yours…

• March 16, 2012 at 6:03 amricz

Okay I almost put my comments for episode 21 >.>

• March 16, 2012 at 6:17 amJonz

Hey, Bakamochi. Hurry up and review episode 21. ^_^

• March 16, 2012 at 6:44 amMoeronic

So, why the pedo stache. He looked perfectly fine without it. Is the pedo stache now a new symbol of evil?

• March 16, 2012 at 11:14 amBakaMochi

Maybe a new nose wasn’t available and he had to settle for a pedo stache :(

• March 16, 2012 at 7:38 amEspada

Haters gotta hate

• March 16, 2012 at 7:53 amAshen

First off: Welcome to the Random C team, Bakamochi! I’m already liking your style of writing (a sort of bullet-points meets tl;dr. Genius).

Okay, so as for GC: I’ve long since become very torn emotionally in regards to this series. It’s not one I’ll ever own, sadly, but more than that, it isn’t one I can completely hate and throw away, which I think is far worse. It had such spectacular potential; after just 2 episodes I was hooked, but from then on I watched helplessly as it desolved into less and less coherency, doling out an ever-increasing volume of shocking swerves and inconsistent characterizations.

I feel, at its best, this episode epitomized the good and bad of Not Code Geass Guilty Crown: It had some cool moments, some surprising moments, and some touching moments, but it was simultaneously plagued by confusing moments, irritating moments, and utterly sloppy moments.

When very, very minor joy overshadowed by a mountain of indifference is the best response I can muster for Shu reverting to his wimpy-but-strong-for-others personality – something has gone drastically wrong. This show has been handled almost unbelievably poorly. I just hope its ending can somehow salvage the positive aspects while leaving all the drek in the corner like the drunken relative nobody wants to talk to or remember at a party.

• March 16, 2012 at 9:33 amFantomOmega

Someone please set fire to that End Card

Everything doesn’t makes sense, Keido the person in GHQ who got the ball (supposed plot antagonist) rolling was doing it out of jealously that from my standpoint just APPEARED out of no ware during his conversation and all the previous flashbacks till this point didn’t even HINT this so-called “rivalry” that made him kill Kurosu, all I saw was a partnership between friends

And another thing how the hell did 256 Luekocytes ever got launched by GHQ and no one never noticed the actual launch to orbit? all the launches couldn’t have been COMPLETELY cloaked right?

GHQ is a multinational military force that governs Japan so how the hell did the other world powers in the UN allow these things to be deployed without countermeasures since GHQ is a ORGANIZATION not a COUNTRY and wouldn’t the other country branches of GHQ be at risk of being fired upon by the Luekocytes AND the other UN forces since Gai took over? none of this adds up

Shibungi no longer exist to serve any purpose but to bridge the plot and all previous foreshadowing about him was wasted, he’s a dead man walking and his goals were never ‘good’ to begin with

Daath doesn’t seem to age at all and is the true final villain with Keido and Gai being used as overtly elaborate super dramatic puppets (he did somehow had a hand in bringing both back to life which is NOT explained by the way) and I cant stand to see his all-knowing smile and those ridiculous eyebrows… freaking alien

• March 16, 2012 at 9:58 amQwaser

this episode sure is coming in late.
    the next one is already out.
    btw i enjoyed reading your thoughs, they were nice.
    thank you for your hard work.

• March 16, 2012 at 10:07 amUmadBro?

i dont really understand anything at this point, i just watch for the sake of completing it.
    anyone else :?

• March 16, 2012 at 12:21 pmAxel

I throw my hands up at this show. So my musings before were entirely wrong because GC felt the need to go ahead and take the dive into incestuous territory. That’s fine I suppose for an anime, not a new thing, but I guess that just brings Mana to a whole new level of psycho. I mean, she decided before he was born? And another thing, I don’t know about you but I still don’t understand where this Adam and Eve business came from. I don’t understand what exactly this asteroid virus thing is about. Suddenly it’s become the world domination/repopulation plan of Daath (Keido, Yuu, etc) and a little girl with some weird sociopathic personality disorder (Mana) with the preordained hots for her little brother (Shu) who is trying to stop her from raping him into a Brave New World and stop her not-so-secret admirer (Gai) who wants her to rape him instead of said little brother. …Absolutely ridiculously executed, but that sums it up right?

• March 16, 2012 at 6:51 pmpuzzzled

nooo bro its cuz that crazy rock mindraped her first under the name of daaath! she got cut and infected by the rock… so she was crazy from then on when her mom pregos with lil bro! its cuz them daaths are so damn evil! EVIL!

• March 17, 2012 at 12:27 pmpokpokza

Even this show is not the best , I love it. Drama as usual past chapter.

• March 28, 2012 at 11:53 amiron2000

I don’t think Voids are pieces of Mana.
    It seems to be the controlled manifestation of the ‘heart’ caused by the Void Genome inferring with the Apocalypse Virus.
    That how I see it from the Void Genome explanation.

As for Mana pieces, maybe it caused the Apocalypse Virus to awaken?
    Some genomic energy?
    She had to reclaim the energy to get her powers back?

The Eve thing is still unclear though.
    Is there only one meteorite? If so then the Eve thing is clearer.
    Daath kind of feels like some larger outer force, maybe like the Celestials in the Marvel Universe?