« Zero no Tsukaima F – 11

Zero no Tsukaima F – 12 (END)

Zero no Tsukaima F   12   01 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   02 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   03
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   04 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   05 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   06
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   07 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   08 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   09
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   10 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   11 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   12
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   13 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   14 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   15
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   16 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   17 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   18
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   19 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   20 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   21
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   22 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   23 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   24
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   25 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   26 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   27
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   28 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   29 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   30
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   31 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   32 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   33
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   34 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   35 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   36
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   37 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   38 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   39
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   40 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   41 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   42
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   43 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   44 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   45
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   46 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   47 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   48
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   49 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   50 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   51
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   52 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   53 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   54

「ゼロの使い魔」 (Zero no Tsukaima)
“The Familiar Of Zero”

After 50 episodes spread out over 4 seasons, the Zero no Tsukaima anime series has finally come to an end. I’m going to try not to wax nostalgic, so let’s get on with this last episode. The final battle against the Ancient Dragon was done fairly well, with the requisite number of harrowing events, close calls, and reversals-of-fortune. That said, it lacked the “epic” quality that the finale of a long running series should have. Zero no Tsukaima has featured a number of wars, with the balance of power on Halkeginia hanging in the balance multiple times. Compared to that, a fight against a mindless beast with high MR and a penchant for snacking on void mages just didn’t stack up. The stakes didn’t feel high enough, and of course this threat only popped up a few episodes ago, rather than being continually alluded to for a long time, as was the case with Joseph. In fact, this final confrontation was far outshone by the one featured in the first three episodes of this season, which easily places among my Top 3 arcs of the anime.

Furthermore, there were mood problems. J.C.Staff kept in the peppy OP, which destroyed any tension that was heightened by the first minute of the episode. They also kept using the twinkly screen sweep, which wasn’t appropriate for such dramatic events, nor was the same old up beat eyecatch music, and the fanservice eyecatch that went along with it (as much I enjoyed that particular one). There was also the insert song. While I liked the throw-back to season 1, it’s still a peppy, optimistic, harem-comedy type of song, not the driving, powerful, dramatic-action song we needed here. I found myself comparing it to when Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann‘s OP was used as an insert song during its final episode, and compared to that, Zero no Tsukaima’s effort came up seriously lacking. And yes, I know that’s a horribly unfair comparison to make, but I never claimed to be fair! Besides, these are all long-running problems with this series, so while they weren’t surprises, I always held out hope that J.C.Staff would transcend their past for this final episode. Guess not.

There were also (I’m almost done with the criticism, I swear) a number of events that were worthy of some eye rolling. Saito managed to steal a jet with no obvious trouble, and completely off-screen; his eclipse plan worked, despite there being no evidence that magic is used on Saito’s world (that is, Earth); Saito’s Lifdrasil powers were completely depleted with no apparent ill-effects, when a simple “he didn’t use it all up” would have sufficed, etc. etc. It all smacks of an anime original ending which wasn’t adequately planned for, which I do believe is exactly what we got. Mind you, I’m willing to cut J.C.Staff a little slack in this area. They were supposed to have all the light novels to work with, but author Yamaguchi Noboru got cancer, which is an extremely understandable reason for not hitting your deadlines (I hope you keep getting better, Yamaguchi-sensei!). Still, the problems remain.

But all that said, it still felt good to see all of the protagonists working together. It still felt good to see the students of the Magical Academy fighting alongside the Elemental Siblings, for all the nations of Halkeginia to fight under battle-queen Henrietta’s command, and for the Elves to join the party in the nick of time. Whatever the problems, it still felt good for Delf to come back, for Saito to fly to the rescue, and for the enemy, no matter how inferior it was to past ones, to be vanquished. But most of all, it felt good to see Saito and Louise’s wedding, because whatever your personal feelings are about Louise, it’s been abundantly clear (over this season especially) that the two of them love each other. While I love a good harem show, I hate for them to end forever on an indecisive note. Love Hina was fun throughout, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as good if Keitaro hadn’t picked Naru in the end. Same thing here. I feel there was much lost potential, but whatever its faults, I enjoyed seeing this series finally come to a close. Also? Saito and Louise going back to Japan so that Saito can introduce her to his parents was really sweet. D’aaaww! That little epilogue was my favorite part of the episode, by far.

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – A comedy ends with a wedding, a tragedy with a funeral. This was a comedy. May you be happy together, Saito & Louise. #ZeroNoTsukaima

Random thoughts:

• Irukuku / Sylphid is the second best familiar in the series, behind Saito. Yes, the other void mage familiars can suck it! What has Julio ever done again? Irukuku is the clear winner. Of the silver medal, that is.
  • There were a lot of parallels with the first season finale. Not just the insert song OP, but Saito and Louise flying around in a plane together. Ohandalso, battle-queen Henrietta. You can never have too much battle-queen Henrietta.
  • It takes balls to propose to a girl in front of the rest of your harem. It was very sweet, though…as was ecchi-thoughts Louise :3
  • Not much of a ceremony there, guys. What happened to the animation budget you had last episode? Still, we got to see the most important part. D’aaaww!

Full-size images: 01, 02, 04, 06, 09, 10, 16, 20, 24, 31, 37, 42, 45, 46, 47, 48, 52.

ED & Epilogue

Zero no Tsukaima F   12   55 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   56 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   57
Zero no Tsukaima F   12   58 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   59 Zero no Tsukaima F   12   60

Final Thoughts:

When the first season of Zero no Tsukaima was announced, a much younger Stilts had the following mental process: “I enjoyed Shakugan no Shana. This new show has the same male and female lead seiyuu, so maybe it’s similar. It’s also a magical fantasy story with an ecchi bent. …SCORE!!” Since then, the series has had something of an erratic run. The first season was solid, but there was some slipping after that, culminating in a third season that was almost completely dominated by ecchi fanservice, at the expense of the plot. So it was that when this fourth and final season was announced, I was excited, but cautiously so. After all, my faith in J.C.Staff had long since taken a beating, and one more blow could have killed it forever. I hoped this one wouldn’t be it.

So, how’d they do? Eh, alright. If that sounds half-hearted, it’s because it was. The first three episodes of this season were fantastic, and, as I mentioned earlier, now easily rank among my Top 3 arcs of this entire series. Joseph was such a good villain, a complete monster in human form that can make you wonder if any of the people you know at work, school, home, or who you pass on the street could be as irrevocably twisted as him. The rest of the season had some good moments, some comedy, some fanservice, and some harem hijinks that made me laugh out loud and which I’ll remember fondly (Louise and Henrietta’s onsen duel, anybody?). Still, the final Ancient Dragon arc was clearly an anime original one that was tacked onto the end to provide some degree of closure. It did that, but not up to the level that this series deserved. I think this season would have benefited from a few more episodes, but I’m not sure it could have made proper use of a full 24, so that + the light novels not being finished may have hamstrung the effort.

Still, Zero no Tsukaima will be a series that I will remember fondly. It may have not exactly lived up to expectations, but there were some good laughs, some good fights, and plenty of oppai to go around…even if half the time they were Louise‘s, hah! So yes, I enjoyed this series over all, and as I’ve said many times before, isn’t that the whole point?

March 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm
  • March 25, 2012 at 3:18 pmKusabi

Watching Louise’s antics for 49+ episodes is payed off by awesome battle scene on this finale… and it’s nice to see Zero no Tsukaima ended with my most favorite scene on any romantic-comedy shows: wedding scene.

Saito, Louise, I pray that both of you reach true happiness…

• March 25, 2012 at 5:27 pmhaseo0408

They have my prayers as well. If anybody deserves happiness is Saito and Louise, one of my favorite couples in anime and light novels.

• March 25, 2012 at 6:25 pmSuppa Tenko

It was nice to see Saito wear something other than his jacket and slacks even if it was only for a dozen seconds.

Season 2 finale is still the most epic one.

• April 6, 2012 at 2:58 amdisgradius

Agreed, despite the copout right after. Don’t know why people don’t like it more. Found it much better than season 3+4 but hey ymmv.

• March 25, 2012 at 3:20 pmcoho

Was Henrietta’s boob always that big

• March 25, 2012 at 6:35 pmemomisaki

yes… yes they was that BIG

• March 25, 2012 at 3:24 pmCroos

I didn’t think that the episode that I was expecting was to be squeezes into one episode. Unbelievable. D:
    I was like “Woh! How did they do that?”

• March 25, 2012 at 3:28 pmShionl

Louise looks adorable in that dress, nice happy ending for the two of them ^_^

• March 25, 2012 at 3:29 pmJason Isenberg

MAN so much of the greatest animes coming to a close (This + Shakugan No Shana) really bums me out. Reminds me of how I felt when the last Harry Potter movie ended. I grew up watching those movies and ending it was the sad part. Either way if something like that could make you feel sad when it’s ended shows how good it was and damn sure this was one of them.

Other than no one stopping Saito from taking the jet…lol

• March 25, 2012 at 3:29 pmanri

Quote: Love Hina was fun throughout, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as good if Keitaro hadn’t picked Naru in the end.

But at least Naru is like the best girl in the shown so picking her was acceptable and wasn’t as painful as watching Saito and Louise, who is loud, annoy, violent, and flat as a washboard. I just feel bad Saito must be blind and have no taste, I don’t want them to end on an indecisive note but god he really need to pick someone better.

The maid, Elf, princess, dragon, or even the loli blue hair princess is way better than Louise.

I just feel bad for this series, harem anime ending in picking the worst girl out of the bunch is just too painful to watch, I am not saying a happy ending would be picking the best girl since that be too cliche but pick someone from the middle is ok too but Louise >< . sad sad sad dude.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:37 pmWilliam

I actually disagree about Naru being the best girl in Love Hina. I actually preferred Motoko significantly more, as she shows clear character growth, whereas Naru stays the same throughout.. But I’d give Naru #2 ranking. Then again it was obvious Naru was going to be picked, same with Louise, so no surprises either there or here.

That being said – I actually like Louise the LEAST – of all the harem members. I’d rank it in the order of Tabitha, Henrietta, Tiffania, Maid — THEN Louise. A bit harsh I know, but what really made me rage was him getting beaten shortly after coming back from a suicide mission just for mentioning the elf that saved him had big boobs. HE JUST FRIGGIN’ STOPPED A 100,000 MAN ARMY, DIED AND CAME BACK TO LIFE .. AND YOU HIT HIM!?

• March 25, 2012 at 6:25 pmThe Moondoggie

He won’t be able to stop said army alone: he is Louise’s familiar afterall.

Fact is, seems that many people forget that they’re meant to be THE pair after all.

Anime score: 8/10: Animation somewhat lacks. But the whole thing is good.
        Series’ score –/10: because, for me, it isn’t over just yet. LN is still in pending and this is an anime original after all…

• March 25, 2012 at 6:44 pmanri

Is funny too I usually enjoy most female cast in a harem ending, like for example in highscholl DXD Asia, Koneko-chan, Akeno-sempai, and Rias even thou Rias is the main female lead my favorite is Akeno, so even thou if Issei gonna end up with Rias I wouldn’t have much problem with it. Same with Asia and Koneko-chan if they end up being the winner.
        But for Zero no Tsukaima I just can’t stand louise, I just don’t see her as being better than any of the other female cast, more like shes the worst cause of the abuse and everything.
        Flat chest is one thing Koneko-chan is flat but I find her to be cute and no problem with it but louise with her attitude just way annoying.

• March 25, 2012 at 3:29 pmMissingnomer

Nothing like a wedding to end a series like this. Though it may not have been perfect, I think J.C. Staff wanted to focus on Saito and Louise’s relationtship. Making this series in as a whole into a Romance with some action and ecchi-ness thrown into a great package. Thanks a ton for covering Zero no Tsukaima Stilts, the ride was great!

• March 25, 2012 at 3:44 pmDa5id

I’d marry any of them in a heartbeat. Except Louise.

• March 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm0927123

I’d marry Tabitha in a heartbeat. :S

• March 26, 2012 at 5:41 ambanzemanga

Rejoin! Tabitha fans! Well, the light novel is still ongoing. So we still can debate where the real ending will go.

• April 9, 2012 at 4:56 pmKnightofZero

That’s cool, I’ll take Louise then! *swoons*

• March 25, 2012 at 3:47 pmSyaoran

Overall, I think it could have been worse, so I bless the heavens that it wasn’t a train wreck like it possibly could have been. Also skipping the plane stealing was probably a wise move, instead of getting some unrealisitic scene of him getting it. The wedding and decisive-ness at the end pleased me, I’m glad they didn’t try to go all “harem-endo!” with it.

On a smaller note, who else would be confused as hell if you saw a portal to another dimension pop up in the middle of the street?

• March 25, 2012 at 3:59 pmKratos

Still wonder how her familly agreed to a wedding with a plebeian. But I guess, after stealing a jet without being chased after, anything is possible.

So now, how about a “School trip to saito’s world” OVA?
    if there ever is anything more aired, After such an ending that’s the only thing that we can expect.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:11 pmvirox

He saved the country twice now, is a knight, has his own estate… I think he is worthy enough, and if Louise tells them that she wants him, they shouldn’t have any objections anyway. Again, should.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:00 pmMike

Really wonder why he had pick Louise, What does Louise have that these other girls don’t, what stand her so much more than any of these other girls?

While I can see what any of these other girls has that Louise doesn’t have but not the other way around.

For one a nice kinder attitude, who doesn’t really resort to violence using a horse whip, know how to do house work, and a great body.

Good luck in your S&M relationship, some ppl refer being marry is no different than being in a prison, I usually disagree but this time I can see why.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:39 pmWilliam

Interesting thing to note — in the light novels, there’s a “glamour” cast on Familiars to make them like/love their masters. This gets dispelled by Tiffania. Saito still likes Louise afterwards, but it’s actually there if I recall.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:02 pmWaffles

Makes me really wonder how Saito made it back with military equipment. Maybe he Sam Fisher’d his way in? Maybe he grabbed some dude’s gun and just gained infiltration abilities.

And I demand OVA about Saito and Louise’s adventures in Japan! I’MMA RIOT IF THERE ISN’T ONE!

• March 25, 2012 at 4:02 pmIntricateRadiance

I’ve always been wondering what Saito’s parents were thinking this entire time he was gone. Were they just like, “Eh.” or were they freaking out, wondering where there son went. Unless it’s somehow like Narnia, where the time he spent in Louise’s world, doesn’t add up to the time in Japan. Hmmmm.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:08 pmIntricateRadiance

**their son went. Whoops, typo.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:38 pmAex

In the LN where Saito’s laptop survived he gets an email from them saying they’ve been looking for him and they miss him. So ya, they’ve probably been going a little nuts trying to figure out where he disappeared to.

• March 26, 2012 at 12:48 pmShionl

I can only imagine how they would feel not only when he comes back but to find out that he’s married xD, then again…just how much time has passed since he went to the other world?

• April 7, 2012 at 12:14 pmShvensk

So can you explain how he would get any sort of signal? *Plot Hole Alert*!

• April 9, 2012 at 4:58 pmKnightofZero

Wireless signal through Romalia’s freestanding world gate. The light novel has A LOT more material that just didn’t get into the show.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:09 pmvirox

despite there being no evidence that magic is used on Saito’s world

At least that much is wrong. You should remember Siesta’s grandpa coming from Saito’s world during an eclipse, right?

I was quite scared of the ending for this show, seeing all the turns the overall story took, and I was even rooting for death-end at one point, but seeing them marry like this makes me want to punch myself for these thoughts.
    Best of luck in love, Saito and Louise. I always rooted for you, and you finally did it all.
    Now, you better make her happy, Saito. And Louise, time to learn some Japanese, haha.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:34 pmStilts

I probably should have remembered, but that was years ago, so no, I had forgotten, lol. Point goes to you, though!

• March 25, 2012 at 4:32 pmrandom viewer

I love a happy ending. And I like to think that they won because of the power of love. Did that sound too cheesy now? Anyways, it was really nostalgic to hear the “First Kiss” song again, and I didn’t really exactly thought about the mood problems. I enjoyed what was coming when you would finally see the downfall of the Ancient Dragon. I just found it unbelievable that there were two miracles for Saito. First, was how he easily got that military jet fighter plane, and secondly was how there was a solar eclipse on the day he needed to save Louise. Also, flying towards the sun doesn’t kill you nor did the high altitude angle stop the plane. And the wedding was very much expected from the constant reminders of the eye-catches. To finally see the wedding happening, Louise in a wedding dress, and Saito in different clothes (looking in his best) was fulfilling to end the series. This couple being together is always cute and they have my full support. They got their happy ending and everyone was happy for them; even Saito’s parents might be happy to see their son happily married too. Anime that leaves you happy at the end is a good anime.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:33 pmSteven Den Beste

So Tabitha ended up being a queen?

• March 25, 2012 at 4:39 pmAex

Yes, the adorably stoic quasi-loli is now the queen on Gallia. And it’s good! XD

• March 25, 2012 at 4:46 pmMatroid

Gimme a break… Saito got into an air base and drove off a jet fighter like stealing a bicycle from a school’s parking lot. On top of that, an eclipse just conveniently took place to let him return back. The final battle was not well thought out, and greatly cheapened the impact that the series deserved.

• March 25, 2012 at 7:17 pmRoLoL

Pilot: Hey kid what are you doing here?
      Saito: Oh don´t mind me, I´m just gonna borrow this 1.5 million dollars jet and fly it into
      the sun during the eclipse.
      Pilot: Mmmm…. OK. Carry on.

At least that´s how I picture what happened in the military base. :S

• March 25, 2012 at 7:42 pmGrandier

Agree! I’m a USAF military aircraft maintainer, been stationed in Japan and worked alongside the JSDF as well, and I find it rather insulting to the JSDF military that a single teenage boy managed to sneak on base unnoticed, get onto the flightline – unnoticed, find a fully loaded plane – unnoticed, start the engine without the tower’s permission – unnoticed, taxi the plane to the runaway – unnoticed, then take off and not get shot down immediately. If a pilot can’t even start the engine of their designated aircraft without raising some alarm, I have a hard time seeing how some kid can.

• March 25, 2012 at 4:47 pmAex

I wish I could say I had mixed feelings about this episode, but I’d be lying. The very end in particular was probably my favorite 5 minutes of the whole series. Very nicely done! A bit predictable, cause I’m sure I wasn’t the only one that thought of the eclipse-solution when Saito grabbed the newspaper, but still very enjoyable. I know I ragged on Louise last time, but I’m glad Saito didn’t hold a grudge, even if she isn’t my favorite girl of the harem (Hellooo Tiffa!) :D While none of the seasons really rank in my favorites, I’m still sorry to see this anime go, since it was at least fun to see what trouble Saito would get into next. Thanks for the coverage Stilts!

In the end, the only proper way to resolve a harem is with a wedding :P

• March 25, 2012 at 5:32 pmhaseo0408

It´s true that it lacked a little of the epice tune the seiris deserves for the grand finale, but it was a really awsome battle where all the nations of a world torned by war and prejudice came together in order to survive. Yes, the light novels are more epic by far, but this was a really good show and the best season of the series; seing Saito and Louise´s wedding was a dream come truth.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:44 pmloli_pop

ova is coming for sure just to cash in from the last scene. i like the first season but now it kinda got drag on by cash grabbing companies from the great 1st season. at last they can start a new show( j.c staff) hopefully more heartfelt emotion like toradora.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:48 pmAzure

Saito had parents?!!!!! I always thought he was homeless, because he always could give less of a f$@k about his school, family and pretty much anything that he left in Japan so that surprised me a lot.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:55 pmSilentCid

Stealing a plane from a military base was just too much. Too convenient to kill off the ancient dragon that way. The ending with Saito and Louise marrying was good. I only wished they’ve done better with that.

• March 25, 2012 at 5:59 pmDal

Good end to a good series, I must say. Tho I’d personally go for Henrietta. The endings for each of the series always seem too quick, but then again for a 12episode season, it’s hard to pack plot with nonsensical scenes. Which leaves me kinda sad that Zero no Tsukaima has ended.

• March 25, 2012 at 6:15 pmhaseo0408

To the person that predicted in the previous post that Saito will hijack a plane from the Japanese Defense Force to get back with Louise, well you just hit the jackpot!.

• March 25, 2012 at 6:26 pmLyner

What the..no tank battle?!

• March 25, 2012 at 6:27 pmSuppa Tenko

That was suppose to happen in episode 3 but they left it out.

• March 25, 2012 at 6:27 pmSuppa Tenko

QUALITY detected. Louise’s father has 2 thumbs and 4 fingers!

• March 26, 2012 at 11:42 amCrook

Isn’t that just the form of his hand, with the thumb in the back? xD

• March 25, 2012 at 6:37 pmMrRei

Need magical explosions in Japan..

• March 25, 2012 at 6:47 pmLitho

Never continued this after the previous season, but looking at the screencaps posted here, I’m thinking it would be funnier if they made a series about Louise in Saito’s world.

• March 25, 2012 at 6:58 pmrasone0104

kinda funny how this and shana ended the same week….
    i’ll forever miss both series

• March 25, 2012 at 7:16 pmasdf

Well, while I admit I could not stomach anything more than a few episodes of season 2 and even less of season 3 (uninteresting plots, character creep, Saito being frustratingly weak to his libido, etc etc), season 1 will always have a very warm place in my heart. This wasn’t an amazing ending, but it’s certainly not a bad one. Happy to see this come to a good conclusion.

• March 25, 2012 at 7:28 pmLoL

I don’t know why ppl don’t like Saito x Louse, they have the world first of a 2 man raid who beat madness of Deathwing in less than 5 minutes without a healer. Nerf perverted warrior arms and tsundere arcane mages now xD

• March 25, 2012 at 7:58 pmgungnir

Lol you sir, or ma’am gets my thumb up. It’s quite interesting how you managed to sum up the episode in 2 sentences like that. Now I wonder if WoW is where J.C. staff got their idea for this ending, too much similarity

• March 25, 2012 at 7:30 pmAriel

I would of love to see an episode dedicated to when Louise loses her memories of Saito and what happens afterwards…in the novel that was one of the best parts, well at least to me. But overall I loved the ending and would really love to see an OVA dedicated to Louise being in Saito’s world XD

• March 25, 2012 at 7:58 pmslamdunkfan

I usually like a clear ending, but this time I wanted a harem ending. Like many others Louise was annoying. I guess the largest harem still belongs to Show Spoiler ▼

• March 25, 2012 at 8:10 pmLoL

I’m sir, thx xD. For the ones who doesn’t know what are we talking about:

Ancient dragon

vs

madness of Deathwing, from world of warcraft

WoW is not released in Japan, even is popular in China and Korea, probably most Japanese don’t know who Deathwing is, so maybe they thought they could take some ideas from the game. Not a bad idea thought, I find the concept of the madness of Deathwing quite attractive for a final boss. Or maybe the hand of Ghostcrawler is behind this xD

• March 25, 2012 at 8:44 pmZen

Tried rewatching some old episodes of this from the pre-HD era, and I was taken aback the immense difference in quality…grainy old VHS/VCD quality looks like ass compared to 720/1080p…my poor eyes…wish there was an HD remaster version or something…

And lol, Deathwing…

• March 25, 2012 at 10:12 pmKagura

yes!!! the ending that i longed for!! NO HAREM END!!

• March 25, 2012 at 10:19 pmKinny Riddle

Seeing as the anime has strayed so much from the novels that I dare not have any expectations that this final season will resolve any remaining loose threads, still, despite the cop-out ending concerning using up the Lifdrasil powers but still sustained by the Gandalfr powers, I felt a sense of loss that it’s all over after so many years. Especially when they started playing the OP from the first season.

Like Stilts, I only followed ZnT mainly because of the “Shana factor”, including Kugimiya and Hino in the lead. Coincidentally, Shana has also come to an end, so this probably signifies the end of an era. I must be getting old.

I think Saito easily procuring a jet is probably a dig at the Japan Self-Defense Force’s lax security. I remember there was news a few years back about some weapons of theirs getting stolen – and thus formed the inspiration for how HomuHomu got her weapons of mass destruction from in Madoka Magica. :)

PS Can you imagine what Saito’s parents would think of their new daughter-in-law? Perhaps they’ll let their son off the hook considering she IS a rich aristocrat. lol

• March 25, 2012 at 11:23 pmninjackn

“Derf! You’re alive!”
    “Yeah I found my self in this jet…”
    *flies jet into dragon*

• March 26, 2012 at 1:32 amKinny Riddle

LOL. Good one.

Though Derf did say he went “sleeping” inside Saito’s rune, so he’s basically “became one” with Saito, and would manifest himself in whatever weapon Saito wields, if that’s how I understand it.

• March 26, 2012 at 8:10 amStilts

Not gunna lie, I laughed at that one :D But yeah, Kinny is right. Delf will be in Saito’s hand forever more, which is not disturbing in the least. I mean, now even when Saito is having “alone time,” Delf will be there. Eeee…

• March 26, 2012 at 4:27 pmLoL

So Saito x Louse can technically be considered ménage à trois?

• March 26, 2012 at 2:23 amewok40k

-was that 88mm flak gun brought by Henrietta to the party?
    -Saito stealing jet fighter still has nothing on Madoka Magica Homura’s “borrowing spree” :P
    -Louise wins the harem race, well, look at the title of the show, you should see it coming… while my personal fave girl in the show is not even in the harem, namely Agnes, I have no complaints about Saito’s choice. It was his choice alone, and it leaves you fans out to get the attention of the heartbroken haremettes… Go and make them your waifus or shut up forever!

• March 26, 2012 at 7:17 amRednights

Gave up on this on the 2nd season but happy to see it ends well even though I haven’t kept up.

• March 26, 2012 at 7:32 amDaryn Sharp

where did he get the money to buy that crepe and train ticket?

• March 26, 2012 at 8:13 amStilts

…points to you for a really good question. Has Saito turned to doing tricks on the street for crepe money?? Oh noes!

• March 26, 2012 at 8:24 amNolan

So, Godzilla–I mean, the dragon arc of Zero no Tsukaima has ended, eh.

• March 26, 2012 at 8:39 amCAPTAIN MAR-KLAC-VELOUS

& finally they put saito & louise to go japan aka saito’s world.

now wonder series finish maybe spin-off this time in japan?

• March 26, 2012 at 11:30 amAllie

Wow it’s over, I’ll miss this series!
    I was kind of hoping for the return of the Louise RC banner up top to commemorate the end hehe but I guess not :(

• March 26, 2012 at 11:45 amCrook

Ecchi-Stiltss finishes another good series! Arigato gozaimasu!

• March 26, 2012 at 12:27 pmDusk

None of you cried when “First Kiss” played? You guys aren’t human!!! Even the translator of the group that subbed this episode said his staff were so touched when the song played. T_T

• March 26, 2012 at 8:24 pmZhinvu

I’m not sure about crying but definitely I got hit by a sense of nostalgia hearing season 1′s opening song. I also might be a bit picky but personally I thought “I Say Yes” would have fit that scene more appropriately. Given the meaning of the lyrics and how its music gives off this sense of longing and desperation, it just sounded right. Its piano version fit perfectly in the season 2 finale.

• March 29, 2012 at 7:31 amRod

Exactly right. If you going to end a show like this abruptly, at least try to make it dramatic. “I Say Yes” is dramatic, “First Kiss”, not really.

• March 27, 2012 at 7:13 amCarol-chan Dias

yep, i kinda fell touched… and they did the same thing in SnS III -final- (they put Hishoku no Sora in the ending scene) >O< ~

• March 26, 2012 at 12:44 pmpokpokza

Louise is so lucky . oh my Hanrietta alone again.

• March 26, 2012 at 6:46 pmn0216332

>:) felt like psychic since i called out the whole jet stealing thing last episode >:) … and now he just raggo rob japan of a fighter jet..GG Japan Military. but hey.. if i only watch an anime that is “realistic” i’d only have chihayafuru this season.

• March 26, 2012 at 7:35 pmWhee

Eh, I loved the OP insert- it’s just nostalgic no?

Anyways, loved the epilogue. Thank god they put that in…

Though i still did a huge facepalm when saito stole the jet (it was still a good facepalm).

;_; gonna miss this

• March 26, 2012 at 8:33 pmZhinvu

Not a bad ending. So with Saito’s gamble proving true, I guess that means the gang can keep in touch every solar eclipse time, if Louise decides to stay on earth. And yeah congrats and lots of luck to you Saito…on how you’re gonna explain to your folks where you’ve been, bringing home a girl from a trip to just have your laptop fixed, and being already married, all in a span of who knows how long. Definitely for some kind of epilogue OVA.

• March 27, 2012 at 12:44 ambionic86

Ya know, I’m just going to let any of my complaints go and simply say this:

THANK YOU FOR RESOLVING YOUR FUCKING HAREM!!

Seriously, I hate it when shows just leave that shit hanging.

• March 27, 2012 at 2:28 amkingfirejet

This one the best animes I’ve watched and it sad that its ending, its a piece of myself I can’t let go of. I’m hoping they’ll make an OVA of Saito and Louise’s future where they have the possibility of having children because that would just give a happy glimpse of their future together. People should stop commenting on how lucky Saito was taking the Jet and an eclipse happening the same day because its unnecessary details we don’t need :P AND for people wondering about Saito’s parents, they probably called the police and all that then gave up in the search because Saito was probably gone for too long however maybe time in Halklengia was longer but time in his world could be a mere week times.

• March 27, 2012 at 7:11 amCarol-chan Dias

yep, the end is good ;>

and hahahahaha… put OPPAI in this and last season |O|

• March 27, 2012 at 7:21 amYuu

Happy endings

• March 27, 2012 at 8:32 amvirox

It all makes sense now!

• March 27, 2012 at 10:27 amSS

The few anime I watched this season the worst one is Zero no Tsukaima F. The first three episodes of this season was not fantastic. In fact they were the worst this season. The pacing was horrible than all the other episodes. I’m just glad I made it through this crappy series. I only watched this season because somehow I made it through 3 seasons. Back then I most likely didn’t give a fuck how terrible it was. I do remember s1 and s2 being way better than s3 and s4.

• March 27, 2012 at 12:59 pmHellstorm901

I must admit if they had given up the opening song they could probably have fit in a scene with Saito hijacking the jet, heck I don’t care if it was something silly as just jumping the fencing and dashing for the jet (In fact in reality that has worked, an activist in Australia got up to a Army helicopter and even here in England someone managed to get onto an Airbase with some ease) so it would be plausable and much better than Saito just suddenly having the jet.

As with everyone else, I must agree, it feels nice to have a closed ending rather than an open one, it nice when you see the characters getting the happy ending they deserve.

• March 27, 2012 at 3:20 pmjon l

Okay first of all, can you people stop acting like the harem ending is common place. Its not, outside of Tenchi related works I am almost 100 percent sure no show has had a conclusive harem ending, none. No its not common, its rare, or dare I say unique. Only shows running that have a legit shot are TLR and High School Dxd.

2nd point why the bleep are you watching a harem then? I watch a harem because I like to see the interaction between the main character and the other girls, and then ultimately hope it ends a harem. Honestly this is stupidest argument I see, I dont want to see a harem end for a harem show. Hell that is like saying I dont want to science fiction, in a science fiction show.

And like several others on here Louise was by far the worst choice. Herietta, Tiffa, and even the maid had better looks and are more endowed. Tiffa, Heniretta, and Tabitha had significantly better personality, cared for Saito as much if not more than Louise, and treated him like an equal. Hell even in her own department, ie Loli character, Tabitha outclassed her in every category.

Honestly Japanese have to be maschoist, because myself and in general the majority of the rest of the world, a woman treating you tsundere would not be appealing at all. Its not cute , its not endearing, and in most place its called battery and you get tossed in jail.

• March 27, 2012 at 4:22 pmSilvius

Zero no Tsukaima does have one of the best ending needs to a romantic anime, that’s the wedding scene. Most of romance anime just nerfed at the end and like saying just read the manga or play the game, something like that.

• March 28, 2012 at 8:28 amFaint Smile

ZnT is ZnT, and I liked it since the first episode of the first season.. Indeed there maybe flows but it didn’t really affected me for liking this anime.. It was fun watching it and a good sweet ending.. Thanks for entertaining us ZnT.. ^_^

• March 28, 2012 at 12:27 pmWilfriback

They raped novel material and their own basis about the eclipse, and even they copy pasted Shana’s ending. This seriously sucks hard.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:34 pmLightning.

“Well, and there goes the novel’s plot. It’s gonna scape! Close that window! Damn… Put this instead.”
    This pretty much sums up the whole Ancient Dragon Arc. But still, there were some nice details to that rush of an ending – if the author somehow keeps them somewhere on the novels…

- Delphinger lies within Saito. But it keeps itself the first weapon Gandalfr puts his hands on, until it breaks. That means, perhaps, that had not Louise given Saito that sword, if it was kept intact, there would be no Delph, would it?

- Lifdrasil’s powers wore off, huh? That means that either Tiffania can summon another familiar – and that will probably be Saito again, as Louise summoned him again after his death. By the same logic, the rune that’ll awake after will be… Lifdrasil! If that logic follows, Saito can use up all his power as Lifdrasil every time, just to be recontracted again!

- The animation of the full-power Explosion is quite something! It shows that Louise became, even if only for a split second, a Pentagon Mage! There’s Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and then, Void! (Also, the ohimesama dakko pose while falling is really lovely!)

- I really wish I could see the scene of Saito stealing a militar plane! And without being seen – as no one is searching for him on Earth according to the Epilogue. Also, the Eclipse scene would’ve been better if shown as a plane stall, as the eclipse itself makes a World Door – making the moon the source of Void’s powers.

Those are just my two cents. Loved the series, though. ^^

• March 28, 2012 at 9:09 pmLordip

Finally did a marathon of the last 6 eps. Sad ZnT gonna end. It’s been one of my fav series ever. Also sad Saito didn’t choose Henrietta. Well, it’s a given the end will be SaitoXLouise, but boy, do I wish he chose differently. Reading the comments here I realised one thing, those anti SaitoXLouise shippers will get voted down quite harshly ha ha. Must be really a lot of Louise likers out here on RC :P

• March 29, 2012 at 4:25 amRod

This anime should have ended in a pure harem ending, plain and simple. Saito would always go on and on about loving Louise and Louise only, but every advance that the Princess/Queen Henrietta made on him he went along with and enjoyed. At the “costume” party he took the bait and in the basement of his “mansion” he took the bait as well. And as far as Henrietta is concerned, she could really care less that Louise and Saito are married. After all, her own uncle or grandfather created a transport mirror used explicitly for committing adultery, and Henrietta made clear that how Saito and Louise feels doesn’t really matter as long as she can get what she/Henrietta wants anyway. Henrietta has an outstandingly persistent personality, and I would say that if she ever gets Saito in an isolated situation, then Saito will do anything she wants and he’ll just offer the same kind of lame “caught up in the moment” excuse that Louise will just have to accept. I just love that Princess Henrietta, by the way.

• March 29, 2012 at 6:35 amBenigmatica

Man, if only Noboru Yamaguchi would finish his novels in time before this ending…

But seriously, Zero no Tsukaima should have another season instead of closing this out with Zero no Tsukaima F!

• March 29, 2012 at 8:40 amRod

A lot happened in ZnT but, just how much time in months/years actually elapsed between episodes 1 and 49 in this 4 season series? Thanks to anyone who can answer.

• March 29, 2012 at 7:18 pmClockwerk

“Saito’s Lifdrasil powers were completely depleted with no apparent ill-effects, when a simple “he didn’t use it all up” would have sufficed”

I’m pretty sure that Saito completely used up the Lifdrasir power. Derf said that Saito life as Lifdrasir ended but he still had his life as Gandalfr left. I think I worded that right

• March 29, 2012 at 9:29 pmMr. Colbert

I liked this episode but it left alot of empty and untied spaces. For instance, Mr. Colbert and Kirche relationship, the conflict between the Elves and The Mages (the last battle would have not cleaned their relationship up), some more strong relation ships could have been established like Agnes finally meeting a girl that is like her and both Queen Charlotte and Queen Henrietta what happened to their love life? Don’t get me wrong this episode was indeed grand but it wasn’t great. If they had shown more struggles and love relationships. Yes this is probably the loneliness that this anime gave me when it left me but please understand that I LOVED this anime.

• March 30, 2012 at 8:33 amyumichan808

if you notice, Louise has no ring on her finger…. ahah

• June 20, 2012 at 6:39 amDarkKing545

I really enjoyed the ending out of everyone it was clear that Louise had made the most character progression when the series first started she just wanted to go and die for the sake of her honor without a care for the world but here she really just wanted to be with Saito (even thought she sent him to his real world) but that was because he loved him I guess, anyways great ending Saito stealing a jet like it’s nothing and going back to save Louise, the only thing I would like at the end would be if they showed a little bit more of Saito and Louise alone so that their relationship would progress a little more in the real world or wherever but without all of the other harem girls

• June 20, 2012 at 6:49 am†Croos†

Would I say it would have been great if the ending was in the middle part of the Finale series and make an anime original?