Naruto 581 – Everyone’s a Former Leaf »« Naruto 579 – Fight as One!

Naruto 580 – Brotherly Bonds Shall NEVER Fade!

Naruto Manga   580   01

If there’s one thing I like doing in my free time, it’s playing chess. And gosh darn, does this chapter feel like a game of chess. I mean, think about it for a moment. White makes the first move in chess. Kabuto, mostly drawn in white, takes the initiative in this chapter, attempting to assert an early advantage via his superior sensory abilities. We have the subsequent counter by Itachi, who is dressed in black (coincidence?), and anticipates Kabuto’s moves based on prior knowledge about his character; very similar to how chess players study previous games of their opponent. Then, there’s the feint Itachi tries to pull with his words and the subsequent multi-pronged attack by both Itachi and Sasuke, which is just a great analogy to chess strategies where one tries to bait their opponent to set up multiple moves ahead. I mean, really, this chapter’s just a perfect representation of chess and the amount of thought that goes into each move, as well as the various types of strategies used by chess players.

And suffice to say, I love it. Nothing really happens plot-wise this chapter, but just seeing the pure abilities of all the people involved, the major impact that analysis can have on the battlefield in addition to skill, it’s just amazing. And if anything, it goes to show just how equally important tactics are in addition to raw skill. Overall though, it definitely looks like the Uchihas have taken the upper hand at this point, surprising both myself and Kabuto with the use of tactics from their childhood. I have to say, at this point, it sure looks like Kabuto won’t be able to do anything in the face of the Uchihas and their combined might.

**On a side note, I have to also mention how much I love the emphasis on the brotherly bonds between Itachi and Sasuke. I know some people probably dislike the recent developments, but at the very least, I believe Kishimoto Masashi has done a good job with that aspect. I mean, it’s slipped in just perfectly with the development of the battle and the plot. There’s the subtle incorporation of flashbacks, the chapter titles referencing “brothers”, and to top it off, there’s also the great scenes involving both Uchihas. Combined with great lines like “THE BONDS BETWEEN BROTHERS WILL NEVER FADE AWAY!,” it just sends chills down my spine.

March 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm
  • March 28, 2012 at 1:11 pmSeven

So… Tobi/Madara is voldemort; right?

• March 28, 2012 at 2:01 pmPochiko

snape kills dumbledore.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:09 pmBass.EXE

Oh, come on! Yesterday someone tells me that Aerith dies and now this?! I hate the internet.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:50 pmMasterDragonKnight

*gasp* Did you know that Darth Vader is Luke’s father?!

What a twist!

• March 28, 2012 at 5:55 pmSeven

you mean it wasn’t Tobi?

• March 28, 2012 at 8:49 pmTez

I would say Voldermort is Orochimaru to Harry Pottetr’s Kobito

• March 29, 2012 at 1:17 amComM3

HARRY POTTER ID DEAD!

• March 28, 2012 at 1:18 pmHorus

That Kabuto better not do anything to Anko. I don’t like how they showed her body so much these past few chapters, it has me worried.

• March 28, 2012 at 7:22 pmZoom

I hope he pulls on his little slytherin all over her.

• March 29, 2012 at 5:51 amRainbowIslands

Chekov’s gun. You know it’ll happen.

• March 28, 2012 at 1:53 pmWerpi

I hate chapters like this… you can literally skip from page 6 to last and not feel like you missed anything, waste of time this chapter is.

• March 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm0927123

This arc is to redeem Sas-ghey. Carry on…

• March 28, 2012 at 2:21 pmMasterDragonKnight

Or Itachi will die trying…again…

• March 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm0927123

Redemption, DENIED.

• March 28, 2012 at 6:45 pmActene

Everyone knows Sasuke will only be truly saved when he accepts Naruto as his Lord and Savior and is baptized in the water of the Will of Fire.

• March 28, 2012 at 8:37 pmgawrshness

and he owes it all to the awesome sauce presence of Itachi

• March 28, 2012 at 2:15 pmHutch Hutchenson

Dat Itachi

• March 28, 2012 at 2:23 pmCrook

I think Kishimoto’s brother love-hate theories throughout the series has something to do with his own life. He has a twin brother after all. Which, incidentally also became Mangaka.

• March 28, 2012 at 2:39 pmRyougaZell

That explains a lot of things actually. M.Kishimoto probably felt the same way for S.Kishimoto as Naruto feels about Sasuke. Heh.

• March 28, 2012 at 2:57 pmBeedle

one-sided bromance-bordering-yaoi? o.o Makes me think of all the Itachi/Sasuke running amok in fanfiction…

• March 28, 2012 at 2:57 pmSuppa Tenko

I feel like Naruto is still the best of the Shonen trinity. Unlike Bleach and One Piece I never really lost interest in it. Kishimoto really knows how to make things awesome when most other places would screw it up. It’s not just about infinite power ups and flashing behind someone’s back.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:03 pmoscuda

I didn’t never understood one piece.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm0927123

Let the hate come but I have to agree with ya. Would definitely read it after it ends though, if it ends that is.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:42 pmTOP2NE1

I don’t know how to break this to you, but Naruto doesn’t exactly have the high ground when it comes to infinite power ups.

And surprise from behind teleport buttsecks is specific to Bleach.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:47 pmxiShi

One Piece have much more character development then Naruto, its on par with Naruto or even better to some especially with the recent time skip. You just have to give it a chance.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:43 pmMasterDragonKnight

Compared to Naruto and Bleach, One Piece does not take itself that seriously.

It certainly has drama, very well-developed drama, but it also has lots of comedy and is not above stooping for the low jokes. I personally find it more entertaining.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:02 pmoscuda

I didn’t like this chapter,because what happen to all the hate of sasuke if he now a nice guy that I going to help wounded puppies.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:38 pmRyudo

Just wait till Itachi gets either slaughtered or completely under the control of Kabuto again. I’d say it’s going to be the latter, and Sasuke is forced to kill his brother ‘again’, causing him to completely lose himself forever and returning to the dark side once more, but this time even deeper.

Calling it now.

• March 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm0927123

Are you a wizard?

• March 28, 2012 at 3:49 pmSeven

You’re a wizard Harry.

• March 29, 2012 at 5:17 amSintrino

You’re a f***** Harry and a thumpin good one I wager.

Pardon my language. It was for the sake of comedy.

• March 28, 2012 at 4:06 pmJustinnnnnn

Good call Ryudo…I’ll be waiting for that too.

• March 28, 2012 at 8:51 pmTez

Well… he can’t kill him so…

• March 28, 2012 at 3:54 pmTOP2NE1

Fuck this shit. Sasuke forfeited his right to happiness. He’s actively trying to subvert his brother’s wishes, left both his new and old teammates/friends for dead, and pretty much turned into an all around self absorbed prick. And I suppose Itachi shares part of the blame too for nonsensically setting his personality into motion.

But what the hell Kabuto? Learn to prioritize and de-summon Itachi already. There’s no plausible reason to not do it.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:13 pmBeedle

Plot Armour is a powerful thing, my friend. Someone has to learn Devil Style before anything like that happens.

Still, these guys are supposed to be genius ninjas….

• April 1, 2012 at 3:35 ame

Sasuke’s fights are among the best in the series. I bet it will not involve childish themes like ‘learning the names of some gigantic animals.

• March 28, 2012 at 4:05 pmJustinnnnnn

Hey, I loved this chapter too.

Last week I said-complained how I’d like to see these Uchia use some other non-sharingan abilities, which were getting kind of dull now with them, Madara and Tobi spamming the same 3-4 trademark Sharingan moves in their fights. Mainly Sasuke, who has his sword and Chidori…Imagine my delight when I saw him go with these two the very next chapter!

You just know the author did a good job keeping power levels in check within a story of 550+ chapters when a sword cut may be just as deadly as an arrow from a Susano idol (I’m looking at you Bleach, and your fingers that stop bankai katanas…). Not much may have happened plot-wise this week, but I’m loving this manga nonetheless: it has lots of material to work with before moving the plot forward, and Kishimoto has been exploiting this fact to great results indeed.

Other non-manga-related posts:
    ——I can already see this scene in the anime having the very OST track that played during Minato’s victory against Tobi back in episode 248 (Damn that sounded geek!). Kabuto stabs Itachi and thinks he’s won, Sasuke will go Nooo Brother not again!, and BAM music kicks in and Itachi almost decapitates Harry Potter…I’ll be eagerly awaiting this scene.

——What’s up with the manga translators? Ever since mangastream stopped translating, the new team has made some awful mistakes. This week: Kabuto says he’ll target Itachi first, but instead goes for Sasuke? Did I miss something? Couple that with some questionable ‘Dr. Snakes’ phrases, and some simple but fatal verb tense/singular-plural mistakes, and the read is severely affected…Well, at least the story itself is good.

• March 28, 2012 at 4:24 pmRise~N Seraphim

speaking of Chess… wonder if Shikamaru’s got some brilliant plan set up yet

• March 28, 2012 at 5:07 pmDa5id

It helps that the flashback was believable and made a point that Itachi and Sasuke WERE close before.

The most frustrating part is that none of this is going to keep Sasuke from going crazy again and wanting to kill Naruto.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:23 pmYukie

I love how Kishimoto crafts the battles. It’s always refreshening when shounen characters use their brains in a fight.

• March 28, 2012 at 5:52 pmCybersteel

Tobi is from the future, where machines control the worl…

• March 28, 2012 at 5:56 pmMasterDragonKnight

And Naruto is The One, destined to save Zion…I mean Konoha.

• March 28, 2012 at 6:20 pmrandom viewer

This chapter went by so fast. It was great that Itachi sliced off Kabuto’s horn, but I have a feeling that it’s something to worry about since Kabuto’s has snake abilities. You know, another part of his body can become something else to turn the tables of the battle. I could be over thinking it though. Oh and another thing, that wild boar was huge! It looked like something Toriko/Luffy would eat. (Just a thought that came to me).

• March 28, 2012 at 8:12 pmSortedeVaras

Dude hes up against Dr. Snakes, Kabuto has zero chance of winning.

• March 28, 2012 at 6:42 pmActene

As cool as I think it is that Sasuke and Itachi are finally pulling the brotherly tag-team I’ve been wanting since the Big Reveal about Itachi (my favorite bit: uber-cool Itachi getting to land a hit on Kabuto with Sasuke’s uber-cool sword), the flashback this time around felt a bit contrived. Since Sasuke was shown as being very young and not anything special prior to the Uchiha Massacre, it’s odd that he’d have been decked out in body armor and sent to support his jonin-level brother on a mission to kill a wild animal. And if this were the case, one might wonder why this or others like it wouldn’t have been shown much earlier. With the extreme overuse of certain flashbacks (how many times have we been treated to the one shot of Sasuke giving Naruto his lunch?), whenever a new one pops up it always throws me for a loop.

I’m starting to get the feeling that Kishimoto doesn’t really have a coherent plan mapped out for Sasuke. The last time we saw him he was a homicidal nut who seemed completely lost to the darkness. Now he’s fighting Kabuto under subtitles expounding the bonds of brotherhood. I’m no Sasuke-basher–he’s one of my favorite characters–but I do wish he’d just pick an angle and stick to it. Since there’s no way his epic throwdown with Naruto is getting sidetracked out of existence, I don’t have much hope for a happy conclusion to this fight.

• March 28, 2012 at 8:55 pmTez

Sasuke was always advanced even before the massacre. It’s just compared to Itatchi he was mediocre. It has been shown before that Itachi used to train him, so it’s probably not out of the realm of possibility for Itatchi to let Sasuke tag along on a mission he easily could do himself.

• March 29, 2012 at 2:56 pmmaya

yup cant agree more…the whole lovey dovey brothers is nice…but the ending gonna be bad for sasuke…one part that still annoys me…when the hell the brothers gonna have a good chit chat if kabuto will be defeated and the edo tensai spell will break??? x_X

• March 29, 2012 at 12:06 amdarkloco

very boring and bland chapter to me. Even the fight wasnt as well planned out like i thought it would be. Once kabuto went sage mode i was expecting a level of narutos sage mode. But instead he hides and releases a flashbang! Really…thats it?

• April 1, 2012 at 1:50 pmAizen

*Kabuto has been defeated.*
      Sasuke: So, bro…about earler…I wanted to talk to you–
      *Itachi fades*
      Itachi: Sorry, brah. Next time~
      Sasuke: …..
      Sasuke: KONOHAAAAAAAAA!!!

• March 29, 2012 at 1:26 amgcsasuke

Hmm, I think your writing is good but your title of the post lacks the “Umph!”. Should come with cooler titles, hahaha

• March 29, 2012 at 7:26 amZephyr

Lol ehh. I try to keep them within the confines of the original chapter title itself. I’ll keep your comment in mind though.

• March 29, 2012 at 2:26 amelle

This fight is going to be pure fanservice. Itachi remains on another level even after he’s surpassed in raw power by EMS and Sasuke. The brotherly bounds works well for me. It makes a lot of sense if you look at Sasuke’s character. He’s always loved his brother, even when he “hated” him he loved his brother. That’s why Sasuke goes on and on about breaking bounds. He couldn’t break the bound he had with Itachi (just like he hasn’t really broken his bound with Naruto.)

Only thing I didn’t like is Kishi can’t draw them the correct looking age. They should be little kids there.

• March 29, 2012 at 8:24 amkingkuy

gawd i miss Divine… no offense Z

• March 29, 2012 at 3:15 pmNorioku

Zephir could you possibly blog the Naruto anime, starting from 243 at least because it finally started to pick up from the Shinobi War and it would be nice to see the animated fights don’t you agree? And of course, to replace Bleach

• March 29, 2012 at 9:06 pmZephyr

Eh, I’d think about it, but I put the anime on hold a while back and just focused only on the Manga eh.

• March 29, 2012 at 8:28 pmchessmaster

actually, black makes the first move in chess…

• March 30, 2012 at 7:02 amwalaoa

I’m not sure what chess rule you are following .
      If it is normal chess game ,Zephyr is correct. White make the first move in chess.