Shirokuma Café – 03 »« Shirokuma Café – 01

Shirokuma Café – 02

「みんなのカフェ/カフェのお花見」 (Minna no Kafe / Kafe no Ohanami)
“Everyone’s Café / The Café’s Flower Viewing Party”

“Miss Penko laughs. Miss Penko walks. Miss Penko eats fish.”

Beautiful.

Up to twelve minutes in the jokes were dry and the pacing was slow, but the humor started picking up in the second half. Why, you ask? The characters’ potentials were finally being unlocked.

The first half of the episode had its interesting bits, but those jokes were isolated and didn’t flow. Llama’s ridiculous cafe idea and Shirokuma’s scratching technique were perhaps the two only real funny jokes. The rest of the first half was still spent on introductions or playing expected jokes (Panda is still obsessed with bamboo…).

However with the second half, the humor gets much better. Penguin’s hyperbolic personality is finally utilized (thanks to the power of alcohol no less)! Using the trademark personality that Kamiya Hiroshi brings to the table is the best way to inject much needed pacing. His antics, while funny isolated, serves its main purpose in bringing out the energy of the other characters. The drunk lovesickness of Penguin brought out the deadpan humor of Shirokuma, whilst also making Panda a bit more bearable (oh pun) character-wise by generating pity for his ahem…indiscriminate…actions.

Sloth also deserves special mention, not just for a well-timed joke, but for also ending up in a fairly beautiful scene with Shirokuma at the end of the day. The “refreshment” joke serves as an example of how animal-specific jokes could be properly executed, as well as a taste of the unique animal humor that largely has gone untapped so far.

If the series can continue to generate the comedy that made up the second half, then there may be hope for this show’s appeal beyond the cute and animal. The pace picked up slightly this episode as introductions tied themselves up, allowing for more time for jokes to set up. Here’s to hoping the third episode continues this trend of synergizing characters and bringing out the animal humor!

[insert obligatory 'check-the-alt-text-by-hovering-over-the-images' reminder here.]

Today’s Full Length: 02

April 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm
  • April 13, 2012 at 7:11 pmMAR-KLAC-VELOUS DE-KLAC-CADE

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• April 13, 2012 at 7:35 pmZanibas

Thanks for being such a dedicated hater for BOTH my shows, but good luck sleeping forever! :3

• April 13, 2012 at 7:39 pmKTNO

I’m not english fluent so can someone translate what this guy said?
        (thought I’m positive that it was a hater comment thanks to you Zanibas)

• April 13, 2012 at 7:54 pmMAR-KLAC-VELOUS DE-KLAC-CADE

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• April 13, 2012 at 7:53 pmleokiko

It got licensed though, by CR.

But maybe trying to make an 8(or 4?)-year old understand what I’m saying is asking too much…?

• April 14, 2012 at 9:38 amLitho

Wow. This guy makes I.R Baboon look eloquent.
      Wtf’s he saying?

• April 15, 2012 at 1:37 amEien

Holy crap, what did i just read?

• April 13, 2012 at 7:27 pmKTNO

I feel so at peace after watching this show…

• April 13, 2012 at 7:50 pmleokiko

Great slice-and-life. Really relaxing and fun. Shame people see the random animals and quickly dismiss it T.T

• April 13, 2012 at 8:02 pmchamelean75

Most odd but most original show this season!!

• April 13, 2012 at 8:06 pmYukie

Instead of a kiddy show, this anime felt more like one of those comic strips you’d find on a daily or weekly newspaper with recurring characters, except animated. I feel like I can relax and enjoy this show with a cup of morning coffee.

• April 13, 2012 at 8:14 pmVince

I totally agree. Mr. Penguin makes this show. Actually I like all the casts except the Panda himself. I can also do without that running vacuum joke.

• April 13, 2012 at 10:32 pmrandom viewer

Don’t ask a polar bear for a massage! Ouch!
    I would love to go to the “Penguin’s Cafe” because I love sushi. But that “Llama’s Cafe” is tempting. I can’t go to a “Panda’s Cafe” to eat bamboo, but I would love to see pandas. What was funny was that Panda was dressing up in a panda costume when he’s already a panda.
    This show does a good job of reminding us that we are watching animals (after all) living in a human world. And that point makes it a great show in my opinion.

• April 13, 2012 at 10:40 pmcerby

Pandas, more pandas.. IT’S SO FLUFFY! I’M GONNA DIE!

• April 13, 2012 at 10:43 pmbelatkuro

It’s amusing to see FukuJun as the boke this time. Kamiyan will always be the glorified tsukkomi in any comedy.
    And do want more drunk penguin.
    Great stuff and glad I picked this up coz it was being covered here.

That stomach dancing polar bear…

• April 13, 2012 at 11:43 pmYuumei

Wow, is that full length a full length or what? XD

By the way, the Llama cafe isn’t as strange of an idea as you might think. Ever heard of a Cat café?

• April 13, 2012 at 11:51 pmZanibas

Mmm, my friend said that was a big reason why she wanted to be in Japan :3. Hatoful Boyfriend also showed me that bird cafes exist too :O

• April 14, 2012 at 12:24 aminfo600

on caption 08 – Almost forgot that you were an Oreimo fan…

with what’s being shown now this show may show up in my computer sooner or later…

• April 14, 2012 at 12:41 amXumbra

Hey…I’m back…from the convenience store…

Oh man, this show. I’m still trying to make sense out of the opening song.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:43 amStereoman

Llama escorts \o/

• April 14, 2012 at 1:54 amJunglepenguin

I’d pay good money for that actually. I’d then boast of my llama to all my friends and their girlfriends, and feel awesome after that.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:27 amMaichain

llama lol c:

• April 14, 2012 at 1:56 amJunglepenguin

Penguin-san has such a way with words.

• April 14, 2012 at 2:40 amCorn

LOL what a unique anime. It’s something I enjoy watching when I don’t feel like watching anything too serious and just want to relax.

And I want a lama escort!!!

• April 14, 2012 at 4:25 amMirakurun

i dont know why but i really enjoyed the penguin being drunk (so much entertainment lol!) kamiyan did a really great job on the voice acting.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:44 amAnanas

It’s so rare nowadays when anime try to bring something different on the table. No bishounen, robots or fanservice (there’s still some pandaservice) but penguins and polar bears (Oh Sakako-san is a real cuttie anyway). Very relaxing with great visuals, OKAWARI!

Oh, Penko-san…

• April 14, 2012 at 4:48 amFling

I see j(r) and 4pi. Are they teaching current density? I must download and find out.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:13 amCybersteel

Panda I don’t like. But shirokuma is a pretty great character.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:53 amLitho

The llama escort cafe part was awesome. The part where Penguin-san pointed and said “kono llama” had me in stitches.

Whatever drugs the producers are on, I want some!!

• April 14, 2012 at 8:32 amkuroishinigami

Hmm… too slow for my liking. Gonna drop this one after all once Hyouka starts

• April 14, 2012 at 12:10 pmShalaKairos

Best full length image ever. :D

• April 14, 2012 at 3:31 pmscinosrepus

I don’t know what compelled me to watch this show, and in theory I would normally drop this kind of show or not even consider starting it…but there is some quality in this series that allows it to grasp, and keep, my attention for an entire episode, as well as leaving me NOT dissatisfied.

• April 14, 2012 at 10:11 pmJellyfish Marine

I hopped for this show expecting a slice-of-life with life lessons at the level of ARIA. I was disappointed though, indeed the show provides some outlooks to living a life but that’s a little too subtle for me. And then I feel that it tries to be funny in adorable ways, but after 2 episodes I have not laughed at any scene. In conclusion…I like this show! Well, I just throw aside my stupid expectations and enjoy what I feel that this show does best; being gentle and relaxing! Good drama is tear jerking, good comedy makes you break bones from falling off a chair, good romance makes you smile and go kyaaa kyaa~ like an idiot, and good action leaves you adrenaline pumped. So for me it’s quite refreshing to be able to peacefully enjoy a show without feeling drained when the episode ends. I would recommend this to anyone who want to watch some anime in the morning before going to school/work :)

• April 14, 2012 at 11:06 pmBROOKLYN otaku

many are not watching because there are no subs.

• April 15, 2012 at 2:57 amHikarii

Shame no one is picking up this for Eng subs :( (especially where there are other language subs floating around…)

• April 16, 2012 at 11:28 amRio

I love this show! I especially like the last scene with hungover Penguin clutching his bread and being teased by all his friends. I laughed so hard!

• April 18, 2012 at 11:20 pmrandom viewer

FYI: It’s on crunchyroll.com/anime!!