Medaka Box – 04 »« Medaka Box – 02

Medaka Box   03   19 Medaka Box   03   20 Medaka Box   03   21
Medaka Box   03   22 Medaka Box   03   23 Medaka Box   03   24
Medaka Box   03   25 Medaka Box   03   26 Medaka Box   03   27
Medaka Box   03   28 Medaka Box   03   29 Medaka Box   03   30
Medaka Box   03   31 Medaka Box   03   32 Medaka Box   03   33
Medaka Box   03   34 Medaka Box   03   35 Medaka Box   03   36

「余計な真似だよ!!/めだかさんの御心のままにっ!!」 (Yokei na Mane da yo!! / Medaka-san no Mikokoro no Mama ni!!)
“None of Your Business!! / As You Wish, Medaka-san!!”

I’m forced to conclude that everyone in this show is a monster. At first glance Zenkichi seems to have pretty normal levels of strength (and relative to Medaka I suppose he does), but he’s obviously a lot stronger than he appears to have been able to embed those wooden bats in the ceiling! Not only that, but to take down Kanoya (Nara Tooru) – a guy so tough he has to use wire cutters to trim his nails – in a single blow is probably not a feat that could be achieved by a normal human being.

I still find Zenkichi immensely cool during those times where he feels the need to stand up to the students who turn their nose up at Medaka. In a way, I can understand his anger – it’s pretty frustrating to have your feelings thrown back in your face and despite the fact that Medaka doesn’t care, this obviously rubs him the wrong way. It’s good to see him do his own little part to protect Medaka, a being who ostensibly needs no-one to defend her (even if it does appear to have disappointed her a little bit)!

This episode once again gives us a good idea of how Medaka is viewed by the rest of the student body. While the slightly more intelligent ones (maybe intelligent isn’t the right word here…) stockpile an absurd number of weapons, others still view her as ‘just a girl.’ Quite a poor judgement there friends! It’s fortunate that they never actually had to face the demon herself, else they would have learned an extremely painful lesson! Although… perhaps it would have done them some good to witness firsthand that gender is no barrier to our beloved student council president…

Three episodes in and we’re finally introduced to the third (I’m assuming) prospective member of the student council – Akune Kouki (Namikawa Daisuke), Judo Prince and Zenkichi’s rival in love dating back to their middle school days. My first impressions of him lead me to believe he could well be your typical pretty boy whose frequent stripping leads to frenzied screams of ‘Hentai~’ from girls everywhere. This, however, doesn’t seem to be the case as his chest reveals are carefully restricted to the dojo and girls swoon at the sight of him instead of fleeing in panic. If I wasn’t rooting for Zenkichi, I would almost consider Kouki and Medaka a match made in heaven.

Continuing with Kouki, it seems pretty clear that he’s very close to being Medaka’s adoring pet dog. In fact, perhaps that’s what the students were referring to when they mentioned that they’d heard Medaka kept a dog eariler in the episode (or they could have meant it literally). While basking in Medaka’s presence he becomes subservient and affectionate, but when confronted with a rival (Zenkichi) he becomes agressive and dangerous. The perfect guard dog perhaps? These early interactions between Kouki and Zenkichi really make me hope we’ll have some amazing scenes later on where they’ll put their differences aside in order to team up to take down foes on Medaka’s behalf. For now though, it looks like Zenkichi is in for a tough battle next week as he strives to protect his spot on the student council! I know who I’ll be cheering on!

Random thoughts:

• What’s with this reaction?
  • Five litres of ramen? Really Shiranui?
  • As much as I appreciate the nod to Nagisa and Honoka, that wasn’t exactly the most subtle of Pretty Cure references.
  • Nekomi makes a good point – it’s far more impressive that Zenkichi manages to keep up with Medaka through sheer hard work than it is that Medaka is capable of superhuman feats when she naturally has the strength of a demon!
  • Speaking of which… I want to see more Nekomi!

* Full-length images: 09, 17, 25, 35

Medaka Box   03   Preview 01 Medaka Box   03   Preview 02 Medaka Box   03   Preview 03
April 19, 2012 at 7:08 am
  • April 19, 2012 at 7:11 amCybersteel

I don’t agree that he is normal but we’ll see… we’ll see…

• April 19, 2012 at 7:17 amStereoman

Full-length 25, good job creating it! Must’ve been a challenge! o:

• April 19, 2012 at 7:21 amgcsasuke

Just wandering, what software do you guys use to do the full length image?

• April 19, 2012 at 7:27 amStereoman

I think all of us use Photoshop for everything related to the caps (full-lengths included). I (and I think I’m the only one) use SAI sometimes too.

• April 19, 2012 at 7:23 amD-LaN

Fouth to last pic: Keita Wakui frm DeSu 2!?

• April 19, 2012 at 4:48 pmThe Moondoggie

LOL, he does look it. Just repace the hair color with gray.

• April 19, 2012 at 7:43 amLightnDark

I’m not going to lie or sugar coat my words, I found this episode boring compared to episodes 1 & 2.

The first half literally felt totally random as a lead up to the second half, which would have been more interesting if the writers concluded the whole dojo affair in one episode instead of breaking deciding to finish it up the next episode.

• April 19, 2012 at 8:50 amSpinarakk

That’s what you get when you decide to do straight one manga chapter to half anime episode adaptations.

I seriously wonder what the fan reaction would be if they skipped all the request chapters (a.k.a episode 2 and first half of 3) and went straight to Enforcers in like episode 5 lol.

• April 19, 2012 at 2:01 pmw

Can’t help but agree that episode 3 was a bit lackluster. It just felt like not much had happened in 20 minutes besides screencap number 25.

• April 19, 2012 at 4:37 pmstarss

I agree. There was just something about this episode that I couldn’t quite point out, but it was very boring. I think it was that this is all exposition for what’s coming up next week.

• April 19, 2012 at 8:05 amTez

• April 19, 2012 at 10:44 amAkira

What’s with this reaction?

I think it’s a “She’s done it again”, but actually in the manga the reaction is more funny and speaks a lot more by itself: http://www.mangareader.net/215-15430-5/medaka-box/chapter-5.html

I wonder why Zenkichi is the one always poorly drawn, even in this episodes, Akune is very well made but Zenkichi is not T_T Anyway, I love the fact Gainax already shown how he was at high school (BLACK HAIR!! XDDD), in the manga he is shown waaaaay further! XD

• April 19, 2012 at 11:11 amD-LaN

Tht explain the Gold top and black underneath.

• April 19, 2012 at 4:44 pmAkira

Odd enough, it doesn’t, the black underneath it’s just a coloring style (see Shinarui too).

Spoilers on Zenkichi’s family and his hair at middle school and possible spoilers on Akune>>

So much for a hair color XD /me is Zenkichifag

• April 19, 2012 at 12:23 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

• April 19, 2012 at 4:40 pmstarss

Nekomi has Neko in her name!! I GET IT!!!!!!!!! * _ *

She looks like a fun character.

• April 19, 2012 at 12:53 pmZreon

The high number of Mary Sues and Marty Stues in this school is kind of a mayor plot point later on. I don’t think this anime will reach that far in the story though sadly.

Nevertheless, I’m happy to see Medaka animated like this. I think it is a pretty interesting and fun to read manga, after all.

• April 19, 2012 at 8:26 pmSuppa Tenko

There’s only 1 mary sue in the school and that’s Medaka. The others just have super powers but are far away from being perfect. Except maybe Aijimu.

• April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pmcancerlad

I love playful tomboy characters like Nekomi. I was swooning every time she was on screen. Can men swoon? Isn’t that something typically attributed to women?

• April 19, 2012 at 4:42 pmDa5id

You know, at first I wasn’t sure this was Gainax show (and honestly, I’m still not), but they certainly got the bounce down.

• April 20, 2012 at 5:20 amstarss

If only the hadn’t have done such brilliant work before this, I’d say this is a standard GAINAX work. But as it is, the animation looks even worse than their regular shows!

• April 19, 2012 at 4:45 pmThe Moondoggie

I lolz at this. I’m happy I find this show enjoyable. I’m definitely going to read the manga after the anime is done.

• April 20, 2012 at 12:13 amDorian

I think the reason this is boring is simply because it should’ve started like it did, but somehow ended with the end of the judo battle. Not sure how they would’ve done that, but I think that would’ve worked better.

• April 20, 2012 at 4:50 amAsakura

I’m just waiting for the more fun episodes. I never liked this guy, but his senior’s awesome.

• April 20, 2012 at 4:57 amSingerOfW

Why would you assume that Akune is Medaka’s dog when you even had Zenkichi announce his dog status to all those rebels?

Also, I find it kinda unusual to call Nabeshima-senpai by her name. Guess it’s because she’s always called by her family name in the manga.

• April 20, 2012 at 7:11 pmMike

Man it really seems like with episodes 2 and 3 Medaka has been out-shined by everyone else. I’ve always thought Zenkichi was a great character, even with his constant “I have to protect Medaka” shtick but he’s still easily my favorite character from the series. I virtually heard nothing about Yuki Ono before this show but his performance is working for me. For the second half of the episode I really like the characters of Nekomi and Akune. Nekomi is simply a fun character while Daisuke Namikawa, as to be expected, gives a great performance as Akune. He really sold me on his obsession with Medaka and the back and forth he had with Zenkichi was great.

• April 20, 2012 at 8:20 pmomeganx

Okay, She’s amazing
    HE’s in love with her and wants to protect her…so he does…
    I havent read the manga but i hope we see major growth an not just a war over her approval.

• April 22, 2012 at 6:50 amSinan Çevik

This episode felt a little messed up but Medaka was still amazing. She is real crazy. However his pure train-of-thought makes here likable for me. Shiranui is still my favorite though.