Natsuiro Kiseki – 04 »« Natsuiro Kiseki – 02

Natsuiro Kiseki   03   22 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   23 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   24
Natsuiro Kiseki   03   25 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   26 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   27
Natsuiro Kiseki   03   28 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   29 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   30
Natsuiro Kiseki   03   31 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   32 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   33
Natsuiro Kiseki   03   34 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   35 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   36
Natsuiro Kiseki   03   37 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   38 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   39

「下田ではトキドキ少女は空をとぶ」 (Shimoda de wa Tokidoki Shōjo wa Sora o Tobu)
“Sometimes Girls Fly in Shimoda”

Okay Sunrise, you’re worrying me. It’s episode three, and you’re already recycling plot points. That was done two times this episode, one of which I was fine with, and the other…well, not so much.

The first one was the whole “friends fighting” thing. While it worked decently well between Saki and Natsumi, when it came to secondary characters like Natsumi’s otouto Daiki (Shindou Kei) and his best friend Yuusuke, I wasn’t as entertained. It’s the same problem as the first episode, where we weren’t really attached to the characters (yet), so the conflict didn’t have much punch. The main difference here is that, because the quarreling characters aren’t main characters, and because the fight was resolved in one episode, I doubt we’ll ever have a chance to really get attached to them. Also, they’re shouta, so that’s probably illegal anyway. Not really sure what the point of that whole bit was.

Yuka and Rin getting stuck together, on the other hand, was a repeated plot point that I was largely okay with. For one thing, it was fun! Natsumi and Saki getting back at their friends was funny, and of course seeing two cute girls stuck together is never a bad thing. Past that though, it actually served a purpose to the story, in that it provided the reason for why the two girls hid from Yuka’s sempai, and made it so that Rin was there to see her friend blushing over this guy. That…I’ll come back to that in a minute.

Plot-wise, the biggest event was probably Saki finally making it known that she doesn’t want to move. She didn’t say it in so many words, but her being so willing – desperate, even – to help some random boy tells me that she doesn’t want to have any regrets when she leaves…other than the regret that she has to leave at all. That’s still the elephant in the room, whether Saki will really move or the girls will use the big rock to keep her there. Anyone care to guess which route they’ll take? Personally, I think Saki will end up moving, or at least the girls won’t wish her into staying there. It’s just too easy of a resolution. Plus, it’s too childish. It would be better for the story to end with the girls growing up a little, rather than them continuing to solve their problems with magic, ya know?

Anyway, it looks like next episode is going to be about Yuka and her crush. Sunrise, whyyyyy?? I don’t want to act like I only watch this show for the yuri undertones, but if you’re going to keep having Rin throw out flags for Yuka, then don’t expect us to be happy when a third party enters the fray! It’s not about male or female, it’s because Rin is a main character, and they’re really good together, and…oh screw it. Cute girls should be together!!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Males, in my cute girl / yuri anime? Madness! Next week: the death of YukaxRin? NOOOOOO!! #Natsuiro_Kiseki

Random thoughts:

• The MIB are back again! I wonder if a certain someone will come for the girls…? Ufufu~
  • They were planning to fly, and yet only one of them wore pants. Not that I’m complaining, but come on girls. Plan ahead.
  • Just kiss already, dammit.

Full-size images: 19, 28, 30

Natsuiro Kiseki   03   Preview 01 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   Preview 02 Natsuiro Kiseki   03   Preview 03
April 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm
  • April 20, 2012 at 9:42 pmPats12

Uwaa.. that’s too shippercrap, man. Maybe you should tone that down and remain objective here.

• April 20, 2012 at 9:59 pmcancerlad

I thought this was an excellent episode. The plot complexity keeps climbing. With the added fear of the Big Rock being discovered, the consequences of Big Rock Abuse, and the group’s growing desperation simply to stay together, this is turning into a rather deeper comedy that I had expected.

I don’t think that using the rock to keep her there would work. Using the rock for selfish reasons doesn’t seem to work, even if the wish is genuinely mutual. Before someone objects, the “revenge” stick DID end up having a greater purpose than the two wishers intended – namely bringing Daiki to the bargaining table. Keeping Saki in town would be kinda selfish. Often moving is a great opportunity for personal growth, and if the Big Rock of Badassness is all about the Big Picture, it is doubtful that it would object to Saki moving.

• April 20, 2012 at 10:06 pmJohn Hayabusa

LOL That is the exact same thing that came out of my mind after watching the preview. Let us just hope that the next episode will not be the end of YukaxRin okay? I did not expect Stilts to be such a major yuri fan.

We better ease off with our yuri goggles. I do not mine to get busted again. :)

• April 20, 2012 at 10:08 pmJ-Luke

Stilts, I think you misunderstood something: this series is telling the story of 4 girls who are just very close friends. Joining hands and accidental body contact like falling on top of one another should not be confused with yuri-coloured behaviour.
    Yuka is just an ordinary girl who apparently has a crush on her senpai. Perhaps a bit cliche, but not necessarily a bad thing.
    This show is basically a slice of life, so things like this are normal in that context. Same thing goes for the 2 boys, even if they are secondary characters. I think it is a good thing that even they get a decent part in the story.

• April 21, 2012 at 3:17 amStilts

Not at all. I made that argument in episode one…and then episode two was full of a metric ton of yuri subtext. If you’ve forgotten about what I mean, please refer to the screen caps from that episode, heh.

Of course, there’s a difference between the story the writers are telling with subtext, and what the characters actually feel. The writers know that we’ll read into subtle clues and think what we like, even though in the end, it’s extremely likely that the main characters are all straight middle school girls who are currently more concerned with friends than they are with love (mostly…Yuka may temporarily be an exception). So you’re right…but it’s obvious that the writers intend for things to be read both ways, so the opposite view is no less valid. Yours just has the benefit of probably being correct in the end, heh

• April 22, 2012 at 10:07 pmThe Moondoggie

Stilts is right: It’s just how viewers see things. Don’t think too hard about it and enjoy the show.

*wears goggles*

• April 20, 2012 at 10:19 pmSeishun Otoko

LOL Stilts…
    Sure, you’re not a yuri nut… we know that now XD

• April 21, 2012 at 3:20 amStilts

Lol, I’m mainly joking. It’s all about the characters, man! Take Inu x Boku SS. Had some random girl come in and started pursuing Ririchiyo, I would have been boiling for her to get chased off in favor of Miketsukami. That’s because Ririchiyo and Miketsukami were characters I had come to like and wanted to get together, whereas the interloper would not have been. Gender doesn’t matter…at least, from the eyes of the viewer. It probably matters to the characters involve a fair bit :P

• April 20, 2012 at 11:25 pmFencedude

The guy is just a way to force Rinko to come out and admit her feelings.

They’ve gone out of their way to make it clear she likes Yuka as more than just a friend, so tossing that away now for a throwaway character would be…strange.

As for Saki, obvious answer is that she moves in with her wife.

• April 20, 2012 at 11:33 pmBreedo

I feel I got ripped off…no maho shojo flight lol it would have been cute with a blinking wand and everything lol Saki sure doesn’t like the helpless feeling. Going so far to help Yuusuke so he wouldn’t feel the fool was risky and she took it hard only failing that task. No wonder she shut down over moving. No say in that either based on the fact she promised herself to the tennis club. It will be interesting to see how she deals with actually moving…if mr rock allows it!

• April 21, 2012 at 12:32 ambelatkuro

• April 21, 2012 at 12:35 amD-LaN

Oh, Stilts…..
    So let not get our hope up…..

• April 21, 2012 at 3:10 amStilts

No one’s perfect :P That said, it’s not like I’m disappointed yet. One episode that I don’t feel is as strong as other ones doesn’t make me despair, it’s just a weaker episode (in my opinion). Whether this show lives up to the potential I saw will be determined by later episodes, and all episodes in aggregate, not just episode three.

• April 21, 2012 at 1:46 amDa5id

Fear not, Stilts! The MIB are here to fully harness the power of the Yuri-Rock, thus making all females lesbian!

…I’m starting to think this show may be a prequel to Vandread.

• April 21, 2012 at 1:56 ammtle

I like it when males come into yuri-undertone anime, gives me hope it’s not yuri undertone after all ..

• April 21, 2012 at 3:24 amStilts

Do you mean that the male character’s arrival will force some kind of development between the female characters, or because you don’t favor the yuri aspect?

Both reasons are valid, of course. The former is likely to happen and is a nice way of moving the plot forward a bit. As for the latter…well, everyone has their own preferences in fiction. It certainly would make the story more “realistic,” since straight individuals are still the vast majority of the world’s population. Though of course, realism in fiction isn’t always a desirable trait… heh ^^

• April 21, 2012 at 4:11 amFencedude

You forgot “homophobia”

• April 21, 2012 at 5:33 pmStilts

That’s…true, but I hope it’s not case.

• April 21, 2012 at 7:42 pmmtle

Hahaha, I’m not homophobic, I just prefer heterosexual stories in anime/manga. Under-tones are such tease don’t you think? Rather have the anime explore the aspect of yuri than just well kind of “fan-servicing”.

• April 21, 2012 at 3:03 amZeross

Is it me or the only times they didn’t get their wish granted is when they didn’t express it like a wish (finish sentance by ~yo ni or something like that) but expressed it like a command ?

• April 21, 2012 at 3:17 amAlec

2 words: terrible episode
    Let’s just hope that his will be the first and the last (seems unlikely though)

• April 21, 2012 at 5:14 amKinny Riddle

Meh whatever, Stilts. :) For two things made this episode worth it for me:

Yuka blushing cutely at the sight of her crush, which Rin would no doubt use as leverage to maintain her advantage over her “rival in love”. :) (Personally, I’m on the fence whether this remains yuri or goes hetero, though if you point a gun at my head, I think I’d go for Rin x Yuka)

Yuka looking absolutely gorgeous in a ponytail.

• April 21, 2012 at 5:35 pmStilts

Truth! Dat ponytail, mmmm…

• April 21, 2012 at 6:03 amjreding

I was thinking exactly the same re YukaxRin when I saw the preview! This sempai could really spoil the show. I hope they find a good resolution that does not interfere with the yuri vibes.

• April 21, 2012 at 7:44 amKitsu

4chan is already rage for what going to happend, me too so many times

• April 21, 2012 at 8:06 amMian

They were planning to fly, and yet only one of them wore pants.
    Okay, I didn’t notice that…

• April 21, 2012 at 8:15 amZaku Fan

So far things are still unclear on where the anme is going but defintely seems to be going for the power of friendship. Guessing that they’ll really try to be some idol group

• April 21, 2012 at 8:20 amstarss

Yuuske looks like a 10-year-old me!

• April 21, 2012 at 8:21 ammac65

I liked this – the revenge was funny.

Okay, so we have an A-Channel or Nichijō like series – nothing wrong with that…
    I like the characters’ development so far – they’re unique from each other and are friends.

It’s a fun watch, I’d like to see where this takes us.

• April 21, 2012 at 10:28 amchamelean75

:D I love slice of life animes. Nothing like good ‘ol friendship solves all problems with a little bit of magic.

• April 21, 2012 at 11:20 amelmaton04

I thought it was a good episode since it try not fall like any other typical slice of life show. Even after 3 episodes it still has an identity crisis, but at least it’s entertaining with good character development.

I’m glad it’s not another A-Channel which that show was terrible. 4chan getting enraged over the next episode is just funny, they need to get a life.

I see another B rated show coming up which is fine I guess.

• April 21, 2012 at 4:55 pmdustshadow

In the end, this ep was more about Saki than about the boys. Was I the only who at some point thought she was gonna seduce Yuusuke into keeping his mouth shut?
    But the series is currently like the Big Rock: you don’t know what to expect and it jolts all over the place. Of course there’s gonna be an arc about Saki leaving, but I hope that until then they come up with some other good stuff like ep 2.

• April 21, 2012 at 6:22 pmKumaKaori

=3=… Tomatsu Haruka is making the series for me. that and the OP/ED, I’m a sucker for Chorus Songs. ~w~. Beyond that, mehhhhh T^T. I want to really like this, but there’s nothing terribly standing out to me. :/.

The Rock is an interesting bit, but it cant hold the series together. Here’s hoping for some good relational drama or something to catch my attention. :/…

• April 21, 2012 at 7:45 pmThe Moondoggie

I CAN SMELL BROMANCE! BROMANCE IN MY YURI!?! THE Horror!

• April 22, 2012 at 12:48 pmFluca

I’m glad others really like this show, but sadly, I’m just about to drop it unless they begin misusing their wishes and things start to go horribly wrong.

That is the only thing, IMHO, that can salvage this show from being just another generic anime.

OTOH, if that actually happens (fat chance, I know), it can get awesome.

Well, I’ll wait a bit longer and see, I guess…

• April 23, 2012 at 8:55 amn10ks