Shirokuma Cafe – 05 »« Shirokuma Café – 03

Shirokuma Cafe   04   22 Shirokuma Cafe   04   23 Shirokuma Cafe   04   24
Shirokuma Cafe   04   25 Shirokuma Cafe   04   26 Shirokuma Cafe   04   27
Shirokuma Cafe   04   28 Shirokuma Cafe   04   29 Shirokuma Cafe   04   30
Shirokuma Cafe   04   31 Shirokuma Cafe   04   32 Shirokuma Cafe   04   33
Shirokuma Cafe   04   34 Shirokuma Cafe   04   35 Shirokuma Cafe   04   36
Shirokuma Cafe   04   37 Shirokuma Cafe   04   38 Shirokuma Cafe   04   39

「スマフォに夢中/わくわくドライブレッスン)」 (Sumafo ni Muchū/Wakuwaku Doraibu Resson)
“Obsessed with Smartphones/Super Fun Driving Lesson”

Update: alt-texts done!

Panda: representing the spoiled brat we all don’t ever want to land ourselves with in the future. Beyond that black and white fur, I see a certain subset of kids who desire the latest technology and then misuse it or use it solely to show off. It’s so annoyingly reflective of the “little brat” type that…oh Jun, even you can’t make me like Panda! His mother doesn’t help the situation either…carelessly buying him his smartphone: a regular phone would’ve cost way less AND been your gateway to easy groceries!

However, the other non-panda characters continue to be their pleasant, more competent selves. Shirokuma’s dry humor, though not my primary cup of tea, managed to get more laughs out of me than previous episodes. Puns were on the rise by 300% (as reflected in the many screenshots), but the rapid firing of the puns actually generated more humor than previous attempts. As a non-Japanese speaker, I don’t personally find them as humorous, but the visuals that go along with them make for a pretty set of caps to look at! All those puns though end up as supplement to Shirokuma’s constant trolling of penguin, who continues to attempt to impress everyone and his lady-crush through his high-tech antics.

Sumafone and driving school attempts however, once again, do just the opposite. When you’re losing to a llama that can navigate touchscreens via their tongue (no, it doesn’t actually work, I tried) and polar bears with their claws (super-scratch resistant phone cover), you’ve got to step up your game! Plus, if a smartphone is too small for Penguin, maybe he should try a tablet instead; the screen would be large enough to accommodate his fins easy! However, now that I think of it…how would he manage to drive a car with his build? I know there’s supposed to be a heavy suspension of belief when coming into this show…but there just doesn’t seem to be any way that Penguin could drive…at least in the way the skilled Shirokuma demonstrates it.

Speaking of the car demonstration…that drive-through scene was easily the best joke of the episode. Repeatedly looping through a fast-food drive-through might be more of a dick move in real life, but when it comes to clueless animals unintentionally trolling…that’s classy stuff. The first two loops were pretty predictable, but enter Shirokuma and suddenly the joke is totally derailed by a semi-meta joke.

Next week’s topics don’t stand out too much, even if it suggests that Panda might grow up a little. Such change is most likely temporary, as character development in a show like this…would be truly a surprise if it appeared. But hey, change can happen at unusual times, and maybe next week might be the time.

Shirokuma Cafe   04   Preview 01
April 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm
  • April 28, 2012 at 11:08 pmClick

Okay, that 6 panel spread on the main page is utterly fantastic.

• April 28, 2012 at 11:10 pmJustinnnnnn

Let me be the first to second that. Damn creative job well done, Zanibas~

• April 28, 2012 at 11:12 pmshinigami2086

I have to comment on how awesome it is as well.

• April 28, 2012 at 11:29 pmSkins Thunderbomb

Thirding this :D

• April 29, 2012 at 2:24 amKinny Riddle

You know, I came in here just for that 6 panel spread, despite not following this series at all. lol

• April 29, 2012 at 2:25 am†DarkCroos†

Hmm. Interesting, front page.
      Don’t get the wrong idea. I-its not like I was amaze or anything.

• April 29, 2012 at 3:22 pmSeya

Can all the writers do it in their reviews for minimize spoilers on the front page? Some people check updates for some animes and don’t want to see spoilers for others… Is it real?

• April 29, 2012 at 6:35 pmZanibas

Just want to let you all know: I <3 you guys, this made my day! ^_^

• April 30, 2012 at 2:47 amHououin Kyouma

Yes, amazing 6 panel front!! Not even a minute I saw it, I was printing my screen to keep it in My Images folder proudly presented in RC…
      All because this ep was great too! I laughed so much!!! :D

• May 4, 2012 at 2:35 pmIchigomaru

@Click
      Please, stop reading my mind

• April 28, 2012 at 11:08 pmFencedude

Ok, the preview images are brilliant.

You win.

• April 28, 2012 at 11:26 pmDrift

Preview is amazing! That’s all I came to say for now.

Will watch ep later!

• April 28, 2012 at 11:29 pmMrTerrorist

What? No more witty dialogue in the screenshots?

I’m now a sad panda. :(

• April 28, 2012 at 11:30 pmZanibas

Typing them now…right now on the 22nd image.
      Edit: 11:37 PM PST: Done!

• April 28, 2012 at 11:42 pmMrTerrorist

Hooray! Thank you!

• April 28, 2012 at 11:29 pmpetitorenji

concur w/ all above comments

• April 29, 2012 at 1:22 amPuffyPrincess

Dat 6 panel spread.

I admit defeat, looks like I’ll be watching this show sooner than I thought.

• April 29, 2012 at 1:45 amDunn

Nice work on the images and captions, they managed to get even more laughs from me. Entertaining read! Thank you, Zanibas. Keep up the good work on covering this show. :)

• April 29, 2012 at 1:54 ambelatkuro

>no, it doesn’t actually work, I tried.
    >tried
    >llama navigating the sumafo
    using his tongue
    Awkward…

This episode was bad for my heart. Those two times where Panda dropped his sumafo, I couldnt help but exclaim out loud.
    But these animals sure have good taste in phones.
    And even if it was pun heavy, it was still a great episode. So glad I picked this up.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:18 amZanibas

I take great pleasure in knowing some people licked their phones out of curiosity after reading the alt text. It brings a smile to my face :3.

• April 29, 2012 at 6:02 amZen

Dude, it totally works (I tried it too; it was easy, I entered my Android grid combination with my tongue, did it in 3 tries…XP); it just depends on what kind of touchscreen tech your “sumafo” uses.

If it uses resistive (deprecated) touchscreen tech, then using your tongue won’t work because you actually need to apply a significant amount of pressure to the screen for it to register your input, and a soft, squishy tongue is not really the best tool for applying hard pressure- whereas if it uses the current, dominant capacitive touchscreen tech, using your tongue works perfectly fine because merely touching the screen changes the amount of charge at a specific point of contact, allowing detection even if you’re using a squishy part of your body like your tongue which can’t apply any significant pressure.

• April 29, 2012 at 8:14 pmZanibas

Problem with that is that the residue spit interferes with the charge change. It may work for the first three actions or so, but to continue you need to constantly wipe your screen to prevent interference.

What a wonderful conversation this is ending up to be :3.

• April 30, 2012 at 5:33 amZen

Lol, got you curious enough to try it too?
        I never had this problem, probably because I tried it through a screen protector (I use OtterBox). I think the spit only interferes with the charge change if it’s in direct contact with the screen, or if someone slobbers all over it like a pit bull…XD

What a wonderful conversation this is ending up to be :3.

It’s nothing more than a Random Curiosity…XP

• April 30, 2012 at 5:38 amZen

~3 minutes of persistent testing by the way…

• May 1, 2012 at 2:39 pmhoiut

My capacitive touchscreen doesn’t work properly (touches register all over the place shortly after contact), whereas my older resistive touchscreen worked perfectly — it’s super sensitive and I have a strong tongue. Awkward much? ;)

I actually find it quite a letdown that resistive touchscreens are disappearing. There were some decent whitepapers not too long ago (and even some successful ROM/driver hacks) that enable basic 2- to 3-point multi-touch support on some resistive screens, in addition to pressure spread sensitivity metering. Very cool stuff, and resistive screens are also much much more sensitive to minute, localized touches — and can be used with common (toothpick) styluses when you actually need to, you know, jot something down with that nice notepad app.

I bemoan the loss of WinMo 2003-6.6. So much desktop-like functionality under the veneer of geeky, ugly, boxy interfaces.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:48 amDop

Looks like Polar Bear accepted that contract from Kyubey…

• April 29, 2012 at 9:02 amJunglepenguin

Good catch.

• April 29, 2012 at 3:33 amStereoman

SUMAFO!
    Also, brilliant table on the front page. :]

• April 29, 2012 at 8:41 amLitho

Whoah. That must be some crazy Gorilla Glass on Shirokuma-san’s phone.
    I wish they had a sheep character using an iPhone. Then we could really see iSheep.

Llama-san should’ve been made a main character instead of the annoying Panda.

• April 29, 2012 at 1:20 pmHikarii

Lol @ iSheep. I wonder what its personality would be though :)