Sankarea – 05 »« Sankarea – 03

Sankarea   04   19 Sankarea   04   20 Sankarea   04   21
Sankarea   04   22 Sankarea   04   23 Sankarea   04   24
Sankarea   04   25 Sankarea   04   26 Sankarea   04   27
Sankarea   04   28 Sankarea   04   29 Sankarea   04   30
Sankarea   04   31 Sankarea   04   32 Sankarea   04   33
Sankarea   04   34 Sankarea   04   35 Sankarea   04   36

「普通の…女の子…」 (Futsuu no… Onnanoko…)
“A Normal… Girl…”

Our cute and innocent Rea is finally a zombie… and with her transformation comes complications. We already got a sense of this from Baabu’s behavior last week; however we finally see the side effects on a human being. This isn’t very prominent until the final few minutes of the episode, but I like how the story actually revolves around the issues of being an undead and doesn’t simply use it as another plot device.

I figured that the story would not primarily focus on Rea and her family relationships. Although it adds an interesting aspect to the story, I believe that the bulk of the episodes from now on will focus on Rea and her wish of becoming a normal girl. That’s pretty ironic considering she has be a zombie to live a “normal” life. It’s obvious that she never went through a normal childhood growing up and now is the best chance for her to experience all these things with Chihiro. Terribly adorable if you ask me; their relationship really shines when they’re on screen together and I can’t remember falling in love with a main couple this quickly. Their conversations and interactions just seem to flow so naturally, and I’m sorry to all the Ranko fans, but I’m all for Rea!

Rea’s new body comes with a lot of limitations though. She can’t feel pain or heat and her body is slowly going through rigor mortis. She also seems to have a hunger that she couldn’t shake when she was with Chihiro. I’m sure this has something to do with the leaves that everyone seems to be snacking on periodically. Otherwise, I’m not entirely sure how Chihiro’s going to help fix her problems. Chihiro also pointed out that Baabu’s irises came back this episode, so does that mean Rea’s eyes will also return to normal later? (Her red eyes continue to spook me out…) There’s also the mystery of Jogorou and his own leaf-eating habits. I hope this isn’t a spoiler (since most people seem to be on the same train of thought) but are his lack of memories and spontaneity side effects of being… whatever he is, or simply due to old age?

This post isn’t complete without talking about Rea’s parents! Where do I even begin? Danichirou continues to be overly obsessive and in denial about his daughter’s transformation. I’m not entirely sure how he plans to win back his daughter from Chihiro, but I doubt she will go back home willingly, if at all anymore. His whole bathtub scene reminds me of what people do when they’ve experienced a bad break-up or something. Then there’s Aria… who screams for attention from her husband. I don’t agree with her way of dealing with her insecurities, although I do pity her. I wonder if their relationship was like this before Rea was born, or if it was an arranged marriage. Either way, now Aria seems to care more about her image (and position at the school), as opposed to where her daughter actually is. What a caring mother.

Next episode seems to deal more with Rea’s inability to move and I expect Chihiro won’t be hiding her in his room any longer (even though no one seems to realize she’s there). There’s also Ranko’s junior (who still remains nameless?) whom I see popping up randomly some more, along with Chihiro’s friends. I still know next to nothing about them, so I’m hoping future episodes will expand beyond the few 4-5 characters we see now – which I’m sure it will.

Full-length images: Here you go. This is off-topic, but I never actually believed people got nosebleeds until recently when I saw it first hand =\

Sankarea   04   Preview 01 Sankarea   04   Preview 02 Sankarea   04   Preview 03
April 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm
  • April 29, 2012 at 1:42 pmCarVac

Real nosebleeds, or real nosebleeds from arousing situations? I’ve never heard of the latter actually happening.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:19 pmCherrie

I’ve seen the latter happening =P It’s pretty awkward…

• April 29, 2012 at 1:43 pmBass.EXE

What is this strange object? Of course, it must be for working out your breasts!

• April 29, 2012 at 3:32 pmFallenrock

If only this train of thought was more common irl.

• April 29, 2012 at 11:09 pmTez

DAT SPONGE!!!

• April 29, 2012 at 1:46 pmjames

shipping cousins is weird haha. Ranko is also sort of annoying (she’s a good character though, I just think her role is to be the annoying one).

Anyways, this is probably the episode that got me really excited for the rest of the season. I mean, I really liked the first 3 episodes too, but this one really caught my eye.

• April 29, 2012 at 1:57 pmGhostalker

One word for this episode: “Beautiful”

• April 29, 2012 at 2:03 pmBanana Furikake

ED- change to red eyes!

• April 29, 2012 at 2:04 pmDivine

Chihiro and Rea are pretty cute together, but I still find it disturbing that he finds her more attractive now that she’s a cold corpse with no pulse. That stitching scene sure knew how to tease viewers with fan-service but make it unsightly enough so that we’re conflicted on how to “react”.

As for Jogorou, I’m pretty convinced that he’s a zombie himself (and drank the potion some time ago), since he’s incredibly senile, can’t taste food properly, and eats hydrangea to keep himself “alive”.

Also, did anyone else notice Aria checking out Danichriou’s “package” after he stood up? Now if that wasn’t a clear sign that she’s an “unfulfilled” wife, I don’t know what is.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:33 pmMasterDragonKnight

I agree with all of your points, except that Jogorou is a zombie.

He does not display the same strength as Rea, unrestricted by the limits of the brain. The fact that he still eats normal food is also different, since zombies have no functional digestive system.

His chewing on hydrangea is probably just because he is senile. Or perhaps the poison from the hydrangea is what made him senile, and he just kept doing it.

• April 29, 2012 at 9:24 pmJames

My take on it is that the leaves are what keeps things that should be dead, remain alive

But in order to actually bring something to life, you need the WHOLE potion, not just the leaves

• April 30, 2012 at 4:28 amBankai000

Finally someone noticed Aria checking out her husband “Package”, what I think is that she still loves her husband and she wants him to pay attention to her. I hope they show us what happened between the two in the past even if it wasn’t related to the main story.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pmverdant

…that is the most interesting/best looking rigor mortis I have ever seen, haha

• April 29, 2012 at 2:12 pmGhostalker

If only rigor mortis was something like that in my chosen field…
      F
      U
      L
      F
      I
      L
      L
      I
      N
      G
      !
      !

• April 30, 2012 at 10:09 amCybersteel

Rigor mortis doesn’t feel good at all. Have you ever felt something that was once alive to be so hard and cold. It’s scary.

• May 1, 2012 at 3:44 pmGhostalker

I’m already desensitized after years of work.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:38 pmCrook

This is already one of the most interesting animes of this season, but I wonder how this’ll turn out, an unpredictable ‘slice-of-life’ is always nice.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:45 pmjreding

This series has turned out to be a huge surprise to me. I expected another show combining zombies and random fanservice. Instead this may turn out to be the most tragic and emotionally involving show in a while for me.

Rea is really sweet. It seems obvious to me that she can fend off rigor mortis by eating these leaves. But then again she can also choose to truly die once things get out of hand. Her time on earth seems limited to me and I really hope for her to experience some of the innocent romance she desires so much.

• April 29, 2012 at 10:14 pmbertman4

She is sweet and naive and… a zombie. We will see what happens but the leaves do not prevent rigor mortis. Babu was already dead five days when he came back to life. He already went through his rigor mortis. A few hours after you die, you become stiff. In about two days, the rigor goes away. Actually, I’m not sure about other animals, their duration of rigor mortis may differ. Anyway, the show is interesting in that it deals with actual process of death. As Chihiro thinks, her body is that of a corpse. It will continue to decompose. Without any intervention it would turn to a skeleton. So he will need to come up with ways, natural and unnatural, to keep her body together.

• April 30, 2012 at 10:14 amjreding

Oh, so she’s decomposing no matter if she eats the leaves or not? I’m not sure if I want to see this. It reminds me of a rather obscure Japanese movie – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780053/ – which was quite depressing. But I doubt this show will turn that way.

• April 29, 2012 at 2:56 pmNhelraios

The scene with the loofa was so much more hilarious in animated.

I must salute DEEN for this one. They’re doing a very good job with this adaptation. My only worry is Show Spoiler ▼

Also Cherrie, I was hoping you’d mention the scene where they almost kissed or is that really going to be a kiss?

• April 29, 2012 at 3:08 pmUJelly

Good point. I was a little worried Rea was going to bite his head off, but I was like “Nooo, can’t be…”

• April 29, 2012 at 3:13 pmJhacks

Spring Anime 2012 forcing me to have a weird fetish for the undead/monster. So we have a sexy zombie, a hotter version of Senjogahara in a ghostly form, a super hyper Moe Cthulhu kid, some sort of an alien girl that spit weird stuff from her mouth, and a zombie with a nice ass.
    Before my initial reaction if I see a zombie is shotgun to the face, but now………

• April 29, 2012 at 3:18 pmc2710

to me.. hitagi’s the best,,,,,, kanoe yuko comes in 2nd w homura

• April 29, 2012 at 3:16 pmc2710

i just HAD to post this gif……

• April 29, 2012 at 4:00 pmThe Moondoggie

LOL, would be nice to be that scrub….

• April 29, 2012 at 3:33 pmFaint Smile

Totally cute and innocent!.. awesome!..

• April 29, 2012 at 4:13 pmKusabi

• April 29, 2012 at 8:57 pmc2710

Can i be greedy and take all 3????

• April 29, 2012 at 4:41 pmsealouse

This is like the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever watched. I can’t stop watching though because it’s too good. The preview for this episode was such a troll.

• April 29, 2012 at 5:16 pmThe Moondoggie

Sankarea OP single is out and pirated… Thanks to Shin and them people from Nyaatorrents. *bows down*

Love this episode. +3…. Hey what can I say? I am reading this. XD

• April 29, 2012 at 9:44 pmBeckett

Waiting with baited breath for the full version of the ED. WANT.

• April 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm7godeohs

Pretty amazing that she has no heartbeat and her blood is probably blue-ish by now, but she sure can blush with the best of them.

I’m glad someone else noticed her eye color change in the ED. I didn’t check to see if her skin was lightened up as well.

• April 29, 2012 at 7:36 pmbelatkuro

I had the weirdest boner in that stitching scene, shower scene and the rigor mortis scene.
    Surely I’m not alone on this one right? Right? Anyone? Hello…

• April 29, 2012 at 8:48 pmMash

>.> *looks at belatkuro for a few seconds then gives him a hug* “I know how you feel bro.”

• April 29, 2012 at 9:10 pmThe Moondoggie

I dunno if you can “be alone” when watching any kind of anime… Still… *pats belatkuro’s back*

• April 30, 2012 at 8:41 pmD-LaN

Oky tht just weird….. I find it to be sexy, but I can’t hv a boner when my trail of though move to ZB…..

• April 29, 2012 at 9:50 pmewok40k

Aria is actually stepmother to Rea. She sees (as possibly danichirou does) in her a shade of his first wife. Ouch!
    Oh ans Rea x Chihiro are one of the cutest pairs ever. Yup, Ranko gets sidetracked, badly.
    One of my RL anmimewatching friends had a cat that just died. You can imagine how he wished to have the potion…

• April 29, 2012 at 10:02 pmbertman4

Spoiler tag please!

• April 29, 2012 at 9:56 pmD-LaN

Why zombie is so sexy nowadays!!!!!!??????? (Propably something to do w/h “having self-conscience” )Can we say this is the ZB ver. of Twilight?

• April 29, 2012 at 10:35 pmJHN

Not really, seeing as this is actually enjoyable to watch.

• April 30, 2012 at 1:18 amewok40k

If I had to pick undead anime closest in spirit to Twilight, I’d say Vampire Knight – and it is much better than Twilight, anyway…

• April 30, 2012 at 3:42 amjalojoes

I want to be reborn a sponge.

• April 30, 2012 at 5:28 amAnonymous

The downside of that would be that your best friend would be a starfish called patrick.

• April 30, 2012 at 4:32 amCM_KLAC

ok then yea look like things are now really so um like let see

father killing daughter see rea ok but bloody yet no pulse goes NO!!!
    while he all WHY?! in tub with pics of rea (more messed-up in ways get strait-jacket).
    oh here drunk-stepmom & some hmm blah now father is back is now will hunt cat hair boy.
    meanwhile cat hair boy helping rea patch up give now she a zombie want do normal girl doings.
    oh here wanko still hmm being in pipe going after cat hair boy.
    while cat hair boy try explain then realize he got his dream a zombie girl.
    while rea taking a bath feel nothing & do we need see small old guy thong person?! (cue brain bleach for old guy).
    cat hair boy see rea not moving then realize must do best to protect her.

looking next ep yea maybe cat out of the bag?

• April 30, 2012 at 7:44 amwes

wait no one read the manga at all?

• April 30, 2012 at 10:07 amCybersteel

The manga is quite recent so…

• April 30, 2012 at 9:43 pmbertman4

Manga is ongoing with five volumes out so far that includes 24 chapters. Currently they are adapting at a rate of one chapter per episode. Anyone know how many episodes this show is slated for? Show Spoiler ▼

• April 30, 2012 at 8:35 pmAzure

The only downside of the show is the future implications that will be left open-ended: Sure it will be a happy ending if Chihiro gets the zombie girl but what after Chihiro grows up and Rea still look like she is 14. But since this is a romantic comedy, I guess that will be left untouched…Or will it?

• May 1, 2012 at 12:45 amBanana Furikake

Anyone know if those three dots on Rea’s dad’s head have any meaning/significance?

• May 3, 2012 at 7:35 pmNymphetamine2791

Lol, love gramp’s reaction

• May 4, 2012 at 11:10 amKethy-chan

am I the only one concerned about the fact that NO ONE is accusing the father of murdering his daughter?? True, there won’t be a “body” to show (a zombie, maybe), but at no point in time does it register with Chihiro that he just watched someone get killed by their own father (accidentally or not).