Mouretsu Pirates – 18 »« Mouretsu Pirates – 16

Mouretsu Pirates – 17

Mouretsu Pirates   17   01 Mouretsu Pirates   17   02 Mouretsu Pirates   17   03
Mouretsu Pirates   17   04 Mouretsu Pirates   17   05 Mouretsu Pirates   17   06
Mouretsu Pirates   17   07 Mouretsu Pirates   17   08 Mouretsu Pirates   17   09
Mouretsu Pirates   17   10 Mouretsu Pirates   17   11 Mouretsu Pirates   17   12
Mouretsu Pirates   17   13 Mouretsu Pirates   17   14 Mouretsu Pirates   17   15
Mouretsu Pirates   17   16 Mouretsu Pirates   17   17 Mouretsu Pirates   17   18
Mouretsu Pirates   17   19 Mouretsu Pirates   17   20 Mouretsu Pirates   17   21
Mouretsu Pirates   17   22 Mouretsu Pirates   17   23 Mouretsu Pirates   17   24
Mouretsu Pirates   17   25 Mouretsu Pirates   17   26 Mouretsu Pirates   17   27
Mouretsu Pirates   17   28 Mouretsu Pirates   17   29 Mouretsu Pirates   17   30
Mouretsu Pirates   17   31 Mouretsu Pirates   17   32 Mouretsu Pirates   17   33
Mouretsu Pirates   17   34 Mouretsu Pirates   17   35 Mouretsu Pirates   17   36

「意外な依頼人」 (Igai no Irainin)
“A Surprising Client”

From blackmail to battleships, at this point there’s practically nothing that can catch Marika off guard… except maybe a kiss. But damn, that was one epic kiss.

Jenny Dolittle came back to the Yacht Club with a bang, and the circumstances around her return coupled with her backstory only made me like her character even more. She always did have a bit of that ojou-sama vibe so it was no real surprise that she was set to inherit her family’s company, the large interstellar trading firm Hugh & Dolittle, nor was it a surprise that she was being married off by a jealous uncle so that his son could take the reins. What I didn’t expect was that Jenny had no plans to inherit the company, at all. She actually wanted to hire the Bentenmaru to kidnap her so she could attend Space University and become a better business leader for her own trading company, Fairy Jane. Talk about admirable! Other characters would probably be content to stay comfortable and stick with running their family’s business, but not Jenny – she has ambitious dreams and a girlfriend too.

I’m glad Marika didn’t heed Chiaki’s objections and agreed to take the job, even if it did cross the lines of legality and thus risked losing their letter of marque. It showed that she still has a playful streak and that she’s not all business. A blatant disregard for the law, and a willingness to have fun and do things for fun – these are the hallmarks of a pirate captain, what sets them apart from any regular old ship captain, right? Fortunately, the Bentenmaru didn’t have to break any laws, but it was still nice to see that Marika still holds some of the romantic notions of being a pirate.

From the positive reactions of the Yacht Club members, it seems like they weren’t all too surprised at Jenny and Lynn’s romantic reunion. Sure, it may have looked a little clichéd with the prince and princess imagery, but it was still a sight that left me speechless – although that could also be due to my having been tricked by a producer saying that there would be no romance in this series. I do like that Lynn, who was serendipitously still wearing her princely outfit, appears to be the perfect match for the dazzling Jenny in her pure white wedding gown. These two lovebirds couldn’t keep their eyes (or lips) off each other, and all the girls supported their amorous reunion with smiles on their faces. Well, almost all the girls. Chiaki is her usual tsundere self, making some adorable sound while turning away, while Marika and the two princesses were completely surprised and speechless. It was pretty hilarious seeing Gruier pretend to cover her eyes and Marika stumble with her words a bit while introducing herself to Jenny.

I don’t think anyone on the ship expected Jenny to escape from her uncle so easily (and with such gusto!) without any repercussions, but I would have never thought Marika would be so quick on her feet in dealing with his blackmail either. She didn’t even skip a beat in thinking up the idea of negotiating a better payment with Jenny, who understood what Marika was up to just as quickly. Since so much of the piracy in the Mouretsu Pirates universe involves contractual work, Marika’s business savvy will definitely prove useful in her future. I was left impressed at just how great of fit as a pirate captain she already is. And like Shou says, these girls are going to be scary in 10 years’ time, especially with the lucrative financial windfall that the Bentenmaru will reap… if they can pull off the job. I have a feeling that with Marika’s intention to take out Jenny’s uncle, she’s just trying to have her cake and eat it too, and I just hope that Marika hasn’t bitten off more than she can chew! (insert groan for cheesy sentence here)

Mouretsu Pirates   17   Preview 01 Mouretsu Pirates   17   Preview 02 Mouretsu Pirates   17   Preview 03
May 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm
  • May 3, 2012 at 4:24 pmZa_Paper

Jenny Dolittle named her shipping company “Fairy Jane”.

Nice.

• May 3, 2012 at 4:52 pmThe Moondoggie

Jenny is a goddamn Ojou. XD

Elaborate: A kickass, lesbian, blonde, darkskin, magnificent bitch of an Ojou. FUCK YEAH!

Proof

• May 3, 2012 at 6:49 pmJohn Hayabusa

About time we get RC’s review of this episode. Lynn is so lucky to have a beautiful princess like Jenny. Oh yeah, DAT YURILICOUS KISS!!!

• May 3, 2012 at 4:56 pmJiCi

I got 3 liters of AB- blood that I managed to pump due to the nosebleed I got from the kiss. Anyone in need of a transfusion ?

Jokes aside, I really enjoyed that episode. Jenny’s escape was awesome… and I never expected them to animate the kiss (or should I say both kisses) from the light novel. Great episode, minus some of the reactions:
    * Marika’s was priceless.
    * Gruelle’s was cute.
    * Grunhilde’s was… kinda weird, like she’s saying “What in the world is the meaning of this charade ?”. I thought she would react like her sister on that one.
    * Chiaki’s was underwhelming. Come on, she just turns away. They could have at least shown us her face, she’s always cuter when she blushes or when she’s upset.
    * The rest of the club’s was borderline immature… seriously, now I question all of the girls’ fetishes.

Aside for that, it was all good. Thanks for the review. However, what’s the reason for this image ?

I’m waiting for an explanation Verdant…

• May 3, 2012 at 5:15 pmskylion

I thought Grunhilde was saying, “I’ve heard of this before, never thought I’d see it. Where do you get these yuri goggles? ” with that expression.

• May 3, 2012 at 5:41 pmJiCi

Well, different star systems equal different trends… guess they don’t have yuri in the Serenity Star System…

• May 3, 2012 at 6:05 pmThe Moondoggie

>>No yuri in SSS…

The Horror! It’s like no chocolate.

Gotta love the reactions though.

• May 3, 2012 at 6:44 pmskylion

No No No No No No NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO. Yuri is universal. It has to be. I mean, what would be the bloody point of anything if it wern”t?

• May 5, 2012 at 1:16 pmithekro

No yuri in the “Serenity” System? Bah. If it is even remotely connected to the other Princes Serenity (of the Moon Kingdom) on anime fiction….yuri is a well know quantity (even in the English dub…”cousins”…yeah sure thing. I mean they are related…right? So instead of yuri, we get incest yuri! :p)

• May 3, 2012 at 10:40 pmverdant

What’s wrong with that screencap? I think the reason is pretty obvious if you’re a guy, haha!

• May 4, 2012 at 2:05 amP Ko

A few inches and black shadows are what’s wrong with that screen shot.

• May 3, 2012 at 5:05 pmBanana Furikake

One word: WHOOT!

• May 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm†Croos†

Way to go introduce things verdant. d(*.*d)

• May 3, 2012 at 5:38 pmewok40k

DAT KISS!
    ok no more undertones, hints and similar beating around the bush, we get 100% fulfilled yuri romance!
    “Gosh, get a room!” Chiaki
    “Erm, nice to meet you!” Marika
    all of my yuri equipement is undergoing emergency repairs due to Yuri Pulse damage

• May 3, 2012 at 6:17 pmZen

Color me impressed; it isn’t all that often that we get to see a mainstream show deal with the issue of homosexuality in such a dignified and progressive manner. Instead of portraying people of divergent sexual orientations as stereotypical caricatures like anime too often does, Pirates takes a daring leap forward and presents Jenny and Lynn to us as capable, normal individuals who excel at what they do; their personas defined by their actual personalities and talents rather than their sexuality…

• May 3, 2012 at 9:08 pmScruffy

Agree 100%!! Most people don’t wear their sexuality on their sleeve so it’s nice to see something done like this. Quite often we get these caricatures that don’t represent reality. I think the worst one is the ultracamp gay guy.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:23 amverdant

To be honest, I haven’t watched very many shows, if at all, with LGBT characters, so I didn’t know if Jenny and Lynn were commonly portrayed this way, or if their portrayal was out of the ordinary. Perhaps a bit naively, I chose to treat the two as if they were any other couple because I optimistically hoped that this was the norm for anime. I do agree that it is nice to see that their relationship didn’t focus on their orientation at all – my only qualm is that they still had a bit of a stereotype going with one half of the couple being more “masculine” than the other.

• May 3, 2012 at 6:27 pmfragb85

Great things in this Episode.

-Jenny kicking ass
    -Yuri kiss
    -Bentemaru getting a spiffy new fighter. Anyone want to bet that Marika will be riding that soon?
    -Yuri kiss!
    -Show being totally a bro to a bunch of girls. I like him.
    -YURI KISS!
    -Marika being an awesome negotiator. She even has a cross-legged pose LIKE A BOSS.
    -Have I mentioned the awesome Yuri kiss?

Now if you’ll excuse me, my goggles need fixing.

• May 3, 2012 at 6:46 pmskylion

Are yuri goggles anything like standard issue UV goggles? I mean, hell, we all were them pretty much all the time, right? That being the context, weren’t we all a little bit blinded?

• May 3, 2012 at 6:55 pmJohn Hayabusa

And we proud yuri fans rejoice with this epic yurilicious episode. And look, our yuri goggles have been busted again.

Now all we need is for Marika to create her big yuri harem.

• May 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm0927123

Dat kiss caught me off-guard… I wasn’t wearing my goggles so I wasn’t expecting that to happen.

• May 3, 2012 at 11:05 pmEuzio

yeah, i got caught off guard as well. I’m not against yuri or anything, but just that I simply wasn’t expecting a full on yuri moment at that point. Especially since there wasn’t a clear indication in the early episodes that Lynn and Jenny were a couple. Also, the kiss went on abit too long to make me feel comfortable :P

I did get a good laugh when Jenny revealed the company she started up on her own was named Fairy Jane XD.

• May 4, 2012 at 11:07 am0927123

Yeah man nothing against it too. You’re definitely right! It was a tad bit long of a kiss so I was like “…any moment now…” *shifts eyes*

• May 3, 2012 at 7:30 pmThe Moondoggie

Hope Onii-chan discuss Yuri next XD.

Nee, Stilts Onii-chan?

• May 3, 2012 at 8:32 pmshamaticgrl

I loved this ep and laughed everytime I see it

• May 3, 2012 at 11:00 pmnatsu-san

I LOVE YURI HAHAHAHAHA :D Lynn x Jenny POwAAAA!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3

• May 4, 2012 at 2:31 amAlec

Certainly didn’t expect the lesbian factor. It totally took me by surprise.
    I really thought it was going to be one of the anime cliches, where girls fantasize about 2 girls turning the heat, and with the background sparkling. But it didn’t.

The creators are certainly playing with us. They did that during the supposedly-dreaded-beach episode, and now this. I’m loving it

• May 4, 2012 at 3:06 amtaiakun

Best kiss scene of the season (unless there’s an Ayumu X Yu in Kore wa Zombie desuka?), other series shouldn’t even bother to try XD

• May 4, 2012 at 3:52 ammac65

Many are focusing on the kiss – not that there’s anything wrong with that ☻.

…but, Jenny Dolittle came back to the Yacht Club – she didn’t have to be kidnapped!
    Remember, that was the concern raised – kidnapping her would be a criminal act.
    It’s cool how the writers worked us through that detail and kept the Shirley Temple aspect
    of the show intact! And diverted our attention by a great yuri kiss!

Next week – some action… But we were told that they only have to get her to Space University.
    Once there, nothing can harm her (Jenny).

I’m still wondering how the android got sick – anyone?

• May 4, 2012 at 4:03 amfragb85

I’m still wondering how the android got sick – anyone?

It’s already been answered. Next time pay attention to the comments.

• May 4, 2012 at 8:55 amjreding

Awesome! I can’t remember any new show I’ve seen in recent years which featured a yuri kiss. And this one does it unexpectedly. Now I only wonder if I should ship Gruier x Marika or Chiaki x Marika!

Gruier’s and Marika’s faces were the best I’ve seen in a while. Chiaki’s reaction was cute as well, though.

• May 4, 2012 at 10:31 amelmaton04

Damm great episode that caught me off guard.

• May 4, 2012 at 10:46 amBenigmatica

Everybody was squeeing when Lynn kissed Jenny!

• May 4, 2012 at 12:04 pmGermanguy

I think i saw many Animes Scenes. Bad, Funny, Serious, Life and Death. Ecchi, H…. But this Kiss, got me unprepared :)

Nice done.

• May 4, 2012 at 12:07 pmGermanguy

The only Hint, they left. Was only Her Cosplay Outfit.. Prince and Princess… Well She still in her Prince Cosplay, and she is in her “weeding” outfit, like a Princess..

But really, i dont saw it coming.. Just think that see to busy to change into Normal cloth

• May 4, 2012 at 12:13 pmGermanguy

Btw, when they was scrolling this Picture http://randomc.net/image/Mouretsu%20Pirates/Mouretsu%20Pirates%20-%2017%20-%20Large%2001.jpg

I was thinking “HomeWorld Mothership”, until i saw the “foot” of this :)

• May 4, 2012 at 7:04 pmU Doh

Chiaki knows her role as a “Ms Reality Check”, basically Mo-Pai version of Murai(LoGH).

As for the “Yuri Hints”, earlier version of OP has a picture of Yacht club members lined up where Jenny and Lynn stand hand in hand.

• May 5, 2012 at 12:35 pmeharper256

Good catch! I didn’t even notice that.

• May 5, 2012 at 8:13 amRM

Blah, I hated the kiss. It’s much better when it’s implied, like Kira and Athrun.

• May 6, 2012 at 4:56 pmCastiner

When you said implied, did you mean non-existent? Because Kira and Athrun was never hinted to have ever kissed.