Natsuiro Kiseki – 06 »« Natsuiro Kiseki – 04

Natsuiro Kiseki   05   19 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   20 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   21
Natsuiro Kiseki   05   22 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   23 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   24
Natsuiro Kiseki   05   25 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   26 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   27
Natsuiro Kiseki   05   28 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   29 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   30
Natsuiro Kiseki   05   31 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   32 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   33
Natsuiro Kiseki   05   34 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   35 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   36

「夏風邪とクジラ」 (Natsukaze to Kujira)
“Summer Colds and Whales”

I oscillate wildly between viewing this as a friendship anime and a yuri anime, and sometimes within the same episode. This was one of those episodes. On the yuri front, Rin was leading the charge. When she said that she wanted to be wherever Yuka was, I SQUEE’d and HNNNG’d all at once. SQUNNG’d? Something like that. Also, her tearful lunge at Yuka when it really wasn’t necessary spoke volumes to those whose goggles were fastened tightly. And that whole thing where Rin likes Four Seasons member Miharu (who she says is like Yuka), but wants to be Chinatsu because Chinatsu is always looking at Miharu? Just more fuel for the yuri fires!! There was also one part which you may have missed, where Saki was worrying over Natsumi in the preview. You really care, don’t you, Saki? D’aaaww :3

But I may have just enjoyed the friendship anime portion of the episode more. When Yuka and Rin were watching the video of Four Seasons, they talked about how the group was good because it was the four of them (much like Sphere itself, ZING!), which hit home nicely later in the episode when Yuka’s absence made the girls realize that they were much the same. Though this was ostensibly an episode about Rin and Yuka (in loli form or otherwise), really it all came back to Saki and her imminent departure. If it’s not the same without all four of them, even for a day, what will happen when Saki is gone forever?

I just realized a way this might end that I hadn’t considered before. Saki is already moving to Tokyo, and Yuka is jealous, because Saki will get to see all the live shows. Now Yuka wants to move to Tokyo too. Of course, Rin wants to be wherever Yuka is, and it was heavily implied last episode that Natsumi might swing a certain way since she got all embarrassed about being shipped with a Four Seasons idol. Since Saki is obviously a candidate for her real affection, that would give her reason to want to be in Tokyo as well. Perhaps the end isn’t that the girls wish for Saki to stay, but that all the girls go to Tokyo instead. It might not even be through wishing on the Big Rock…they might wait as long as college to get there, but eventually, they would all be together again. Together, and having made the choice to grow up instead of stay as kids.

The good thing is, I have no idea if that will happen! Like I said back in episode 1, I love following original series because none of us knows what will happen. All I know is that these four girls are really good friends, and it warms my hearts to see them together. Have you ever had a friendship like that? I know I have, and it’s a wonderful feeling. Does my old heart good to see it again.

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The four of them are best together. So what happens when one of them is gone, either for a few days, or forever? #NatsuiroKiseki

Random thoughts:

• Something about the art was weird this week, especially with Yuka. It seemed like her head was too…round, maybe? Not sure.
  • Rin got rained on a bit, so she got a cold. Uhm, hate to break it to you, but colds don’t work like that, Nippon. It’s a virus. L2science.
  • So Rin sees a whale when she’s sick. Uh, okay. That’s not insane at all, Rin-chan. Not at all… *shifty eyea*
  • Those twintails, that ponytail, that …whatever this is! Some character designer is clearly having a lot of fun with Yuka’s hair.
  • This picture makes it look like they’re .0004732 seconds from hot yuri luvin’. This is intentionally misleading, because that did not happen, and also exactly why I chose this picture. Leave me with my dreams!!
  • Just kiss already, dammit.

Full-size images: 25, 28, 34, 36

Natsuiro Kiseki   05   Preview 01 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   Preview 02 Natsuiro Kiseki   05   Preview 03
May 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm
  • May 4, 2012 at 9:31 pmQwerty1

Glad I’m not the only one that thought the animation this week looked a bit… off…

Noticed it at first with Yuka’s face looking odd but the more I watched there were small things off with everyone’s heads at some points, seems like they were cutting a lot of corners with the quality of the more distant shots or something.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:47 pmKnillinux

Yeah, the art/animation quality was definitely down this week. It was a major distraction once I noticed it. It’s like they suddenly rounded up all the interns to try their hand at an episode for some reason.

Hopefully this doesn’t continue.

• May 5, 2012 at 3:26 amNitro

it looked to me like it’s been happening since episode 3, they’re gradually being animated off-model more and more and it’s really weird.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:35 pmfragb85

This show is certainly matching Lagrange with its attempts to provoke as much Les Yay as possible. Not that I mind.

Also, this pic is just begging for a caption.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:38 pmThe Moondoggie

Dream whales, colds and yuri… Perfect Combo…..

This Image is just begging to be memefied. /a/ already did This to her. :(

And No, I’m not like MrRei who rapes/corrupts our waifu just for the Lulz.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:39 pmJohn Hayabusa

This episode is pretty much YukaxRin. When I heard Rin said that the first time, I had to adjust my yuri goggles a bit.

Also, this episode shows us that Rin can be a bit like K-On!’s Yui. Of course, they have the same seiyuu, Aki Toyosaki.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:48 pmXin

I really liked the scene that started off the second half of the ep. with Rin in bed telling Yuka about seeing the whale. That background song really complimented the mood and made it a really sweet scene of friendship between the two.

And yes, L2science indeed…I always /headdesk when anime pulls the automatic next day fever from getting caught in the rain.

LSD whale ftw!! Loli Yuka was such a good friend.

• May 4, 2012 at 10:39 pmtaiakun

Just a note regarding rain and colds – yes, colds are caused by viruses, but sudden changes in body temp like getting soaked in the rain can lead to the immune system weakening which can cause people to be more susceptible to viruses. I was a really bad asthmatic as a kid and always catch a cold when I get caught in the rain which eventually leads to asthma >_<.

• May 4, 2012 at 10:50 pmSerapita

It seems like Saki is aware of Rin’s affection for Yuka when she said it’s better to leave Rin and Yuka alone and told Natsumi they should not pay a visit to Rin.

• May 4, 2012 at 11:16 pmKitsu

Why people change? That’s make me sad!

• May 4, 2012 at 11:43 pmbelatkuro

Dat Gundam 00 poster. Oh Sunrise.

• May 5, 2012 at 12:34 amKinny Riddle

Yuka is the glue that binds the four of them together, and it takes her being absent for the other three to finally realize that.

Oh, more Rin x Yuka yuri FTW. Same for Yuka’s various gorgeous hairstyles.

I think I must be way too spoilt with so much quality animation that studios like Kyo-Ani, PA Works and A-1 Pictures have provided in recent years, that I just cringed at some of the sloppy animation this episode.

• May 5, 2012 at 12:45 amc2710

did anyone see yuka using an iphone?

• May 5, 2012 at 12:48 amDingus

Wasn’t Yuka confirmed to be canon heterosexual last week? Being Rin is suffering.

• May 5, 2012 at 1:37 amBeedle

The trauma of her heartbreak- not being able to bang her cousin- has made her see the light. No, this isn’t a rebound.
      This is destiny!

• May 5, 2012 at 12:23 pmStilts

Also, there are more than two choices, you know. It’s not a one or the other decision, heh.

• May 5, 2012 at 2:31 pmDingus

You’re right. Still, the best case scenario (for Rin) would be Yuka is bi. At this point I have a hard time seeing Yuka’s feelings towards Rin as anything but close friendship, but that’s just my personal opinion. You’re free to keep your yuri ship going if that’s how you see it. (Can’t say that I’d blame you. They’re very cute together)

• May 5, 2012 at 1:27 amSinan Çevik

This felt like a quite emotional episode to me, exploring the past of Rin and Yuka. I guess this was the one I enjoyed the most. Now it’s time for some action: a tennis match!

• May 5, 2012 at 3:56 ammac65

As I watched this week’s episode of Yuru Yuri. Oops! Sorry about that… Anyway,
    this was a pretty good episode of Yuru Yuri! Damn it! What’s wrong with this keyboard! ☺

BTW, Stilts, according to my yuri chronograph, they we actually 0.0001332
    seconds away – accuracy and realism is important in Anime, you know!

No miracle(s) this week, but still nice sentential story. This series reminds me
    of Natsume (Yuujinchou San, etc.) as far as the stories go, cuter, of course.

I definitely noticed they paid quite some attention to Yuka’s hair this week! Cute!

I wonder is they’ll use the “rock” to keep Saki from moving to Tokyo – I’m surprised
    none of that discussion has come about. Too, it’s interesting that they didn’t think
    to even use it to help Yuka get over her cold until a few days had passed!

You know, Stilts, you bring up a good point. Maybe all of them will go to Tokyo
    (as a season finale) and a second season will be based off of that. Who knows.
    There’s definitely a lot of set up happening (as you’ve mentioned) for that to happen.
    Like Natsume, if done well, I see no reason why more seasons couldn’t follow.

This is a series I thought would be light-weight, but it’s actually pretty engaging…

• May 5, 2012 at 5:01 amn0216332

whats with the happy carefree type and iPhones… saten, yuka… both from a group of 4 girls….both my favourite girl in the series… O_o…

• May 5, 2012 at 5:45 amTerrorhunt

• May 5, 2012 at 5:55 amAnimesetsuna

Sunrise+Aniplex+Lantis+Music Ray’n+Sphere = Natsuiro Kiseki

• May 5, 2012 at 6:00 amwantei

This series has moe overload!!

• May 5, 2012 at 7:17 amJohn Hayabusa

This series has moe and yuri overload!!

Fix’d for you.

• May 5, 2012 at 7:55 pmKLAC-vengers

and yet who the akarin of this show?