Kuroko no Basuke – 08 »« Kuroko no Basuke – 06

Kuroko no Basuke – 07

Kuroko no Basuke   07   01 Kuroko no Basuke   07   02 Kuroko no Basuke   07   03
Kuroko no Basuke   07   04 Kuroko no Basuke   07   05 Kuroko no Basuke   07   06
Kuroko no Basuke   07   07 Kuroko no Basuke   07   08 Kuroko no Basuke   07   09
Kuroko no Basuke   07   10 Kuroko no Basuke   07   11 Kuroko no Basuke   07   12
Kuroko no Basuke   07   13 Kuroko no Basuke   07   14 Kuroko no Basuke   07   15
Kuroko no Basuke   07   16 Kuroko no Basuke   07   17 Kuroko no Basuke   07   18
Kuroko no Basuke   07   19 Kuroko no Basuke   07   20 Kuroko no Basuke   07   21
Kuroko no Basuke   07   22 Kuroko no Basuke   07   23 Kuroko no Basuke   07   24
Kuroko no Basuke   07   25 Kuroko no Basuke   07   26 Kuroko no Basuke   07   27
Kuroko no Basuke   07   28 Kuroko no Basuke   07   29 Kuroko no Basuke   07   30
Kuroko no Basuke   07   31 Kuroko no Basuke   07   32 Kuroko no Basuke   07   33

「すごいもん見れるわよ」 (Sugoi Mon Mireru wayo)
“You’ll See Something Amazing”

100% of his shots go in? Sign that kid up!

OK, full Shounen Jump goggles are definitely on with Kuroko no Basuke. The Generation of Miracles is aptly named if one of their members never misses a shot – and the laws of shounen being what they are, he’s likely to be only the 4th-best player of the bunch. Even in the highly fanciful world of SJ sports, that’s pretty heady stuff. With his rain-conjuring moonballs and good-luck teddy bears, Midorima-kun is one of the more agreeably weird characters in the cast.

First, of course, there’s the matter of Otou-san and his teammates at Shinkyo – who I didn’t think much of, frankly, until I saw what Seirin did to their next three opponents. Otou-san turned out to be a pretty easy mark in the end, since Kagami is apparently incapable of fatigue – as the game wore on he kept jumping higher and higher, while Otou-san was the Dad who fell to Earth. I guess the cape in the ED last week was just for show, and Dad’s feet were made of clay in the end. But they only lost by 12, and that with Kuroko on the bench for much of the second half.

The next three rounds progressed pretty quickly, and I confess I was quite surprised to see Seirin destroying their opponents so handily – all the while preserving Kuroko and in some cases not playing him at all. If I’m allowed to nit-pick, I don’t think the anime did an especially good job (I don’t know how it was in the manga) of showing us the abilities of the second-years apart from Hyuuga, because I don’t think we’d seen anything from those guys to think they could destroy opponents who’d already won tournament games by the margins we saw here. Kagami is obviously a stud, but why is Seirin suddenly so dominant that they can blow out quality opponents with Kuroko never leaving the bench?

Speaking of Kuroko, one area I hope the series goes to is his development as a player. We’ve already seen his ghost—like ability and passing sense, and the impact it has on games. What I’d like to see is some focus on Kuroko’s mental abilities – his knowledge of the game – as well as his struggles. Why is fitness level such that he needs so much rest? Will he ever actually make a shot (he’s the anti-Midorima, I guess)? His talent for the game is a little too much mysticism and not enough reality to be really interesting at the moment. As to the guy himself, we continue to get little glimpses into his head – I love seeing him “angry” at his old teammates, and “fired-up” at the prospect of playing strong opponents. I wouldn’t say these are cracks in his façade, exactly – more like a peek between the blinds covering a window.

The shape of things to come is pretty clear, with the “Three Kings” – the dominant schools that rule Tokyo high-school hoops – providing the obstacle Seirin must overcome to be a serious basketball school. Shinsenkan (King of the West), Seihou (King of the North – don’t tell Robb Stark) and Shuutoku (King of the East) have ruled Tokyo unchallenged for ten years – and it’s Shuutoku that enters the spotlight first, as that’s Midorima’s team (since there’s no mention, I assume there are no GoM players at the other two) and a potential finals opponent. Seihou waits in the semis but the rules dictate that’s a game Seirin should win, because Shuutoku is the boogeyman of this arc – and Midorima the heavy. Given the fact that the semis and finals are (oddly) scheduled on the same day and Kuroko’s conditioning, I expect high drama with an exhausting struggle against Seihou, leaving Kuroko exhausted for the finals.

Kuroko no Basuke   07   Preview 01 Kuroko no Basuke   07   Preview 02 Kuroko no Basuke   07   Preview 03
May 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  • May 20, 2012 at 5:47 pmzleihsh

Midorima is such a dear……..a horoscope-holic and a tsudndere……
    Also, Kagami, “Baka-gami”, what a nice pun, lol.

• May 20, 2012 at 5:57 pmToshishiro

Meijo Academy sure have bad luck.

On a side note, I would love to know where to get a bear like that…

• May 20, 2012 at 5:57 pmKitsu

Poor Papa

• May 20, 2012 at 6:25 pmmainavidesu

I don’t think they really need to prolong the preliminaries, after all there’s no special player from those schools so prolonging them just make the show boring!

As for the senpai abilities, I think it will be shown to us soon especially knowing that they will be playing 2 of the Kings of Tokyo in a day in order to be the winner of their block they need to overcome these teams.

Overall it was a decent episode! :))

• May 20, 2012 at 6:58 pmMindZkr

I think the anime wouldn’t be able to cover the problem why Kuroko cannot shoot and what can he do aside from passing and shooting since it’s about chapters 80 and up.

For those who are curious why Seirin managed to be in the top 4 in Tokyo when they only have Hyuuga as their shooter click the spoiler at your own expense.

Also, let’s take note that Seirin lost with a very big margin to the 3 kings.

• May 20, 2012 at 7:01 pmMindZkr

Also, it was emphasized on their match against Kise that Kagami’s talent is his ridiculous high jumping skills

• May 21, 2012 at 2:45 amAsdf

I find it hard to believe Kagami’s sole talent is jumping. I haven’t read the manga so this is my personal speculation, but it’s probably an ability to constantly match and overcome his opponents. Sorta like Kise, except rather than copying he overcomes it through hard work ‘n talent.

• May 21, 2012 at 6:14 amMindZkr

What I mean is that his ridiculous jumping ability is his foremost ability aside from his strength. Or let’s just say his base ability.

• May 20, 2012 at 7:14 pmbelatkuro

Even now I still think this tournament setup is unfair and stupid. 2 matches in a day and only 3 hours difference between them. I can accept 2 matches in two days but this is pushing it. Havent seen a basketball tournament setup like this.
    Makes for good drama I guess.
    One thing that’s stil great in this show is the soundtrack.
    And they have some big names in the cast even for the fodder players. I definitely heard Shimono Hiro twice in this episode.
    Now lets see who’s the best Ono in the three(Kensho, Daisuke, Yuuki)
    And with two strong teams as opponents there will be a chance for the other Seirin members to shine so yeah.

• May 20, 2012 at 7:35 pmgrey

manga readers! have we ever seen how the generation of miracles used to play together in middle school?

• May 20, 2012 at 8:49 pmMindZkr

Aside from a few practice sessions and some minor flashbacks, there’s none. But based from those scenes and as said by Kurokocchi, they do not play as a team.

• May 21, 2012 at 11:36 amgrey

thanks! do you think we’ll be able to see those flashbacks in the anime? or is it really far into the manga? :O

• May 21, 2012 at 7:04 amzleihsh

Agree w/above, and I think it will be nice if the author shown us some more of the Generation of Miracle backstory, as in the time that they did get along together……
      May be something like this (I got this image from google):

LOL

• May 21, 2012 at 7:49 amMindZkr

Well, there is the light novel. Is the light novel considered cannon? Ok, for those of you who wants to read about their middle school life, read it. It’s pretty funny too.

Wow, I’ve been all around this article (this is not my favorite series this season, it’s SnA… it’s just that… ) so I better with this comment

• May 21, 2012 at 8:15 ambelatkuro

Wait, there’s a light novel? I didn’t know that..

• May 21, 2012 at 11:36 amgrey

omfg that is adorable.

and i also need to read this LN..

• May 21, 2012 at 12:11 pmzleihsh

Please, Please give me the link, I am Dying here……I just can not find the light novel site. Thank you soooo much for your time.

• May 21, 2012 at 5:51 pmMindZkr

Ok, I’ll comment again but this will be the last, ok?
        Posting for links to raws is prohibited so I’ll just direct you to a post containing the summary of Replace I and Replace II

Guardian Enzo, if this is not allowed, please delete this post

• May 21, 2012 at 7:33 pmzleihsh

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You are a special individual in my book! Love you~

• May 20, 2012 at 8:24 pmrochichan

I felt as if they went to quick… (Well, I understand why. Cutting the unimportant matches.)
    But, when Kuroko was eager to play… I was like, “Bahh~ you!” <3

In other news, the character CDs for Kuroko, Kagami, and Kise are out!

• May 20, 2012 at 10:50 pmNymphetamine2791

I like how they didn’t drag out the series showing them play in other games that aren’t nearly as important, lol.

• May 20, 2012 at 11:05 pmOutcast

Demotivating ridiculous high arc 100% shots are awesome.

• May 21, 2012 at 9:38 amwakaka

you said it bro

• May 20, 2012 at 11:55 pmSaangi

If you are worried about them not showing how powerful their Second Years are….. Well, You will see it soon. Like Really Soon.

For all of you who wonder how they got into the Top 4,