Mouretsu Pirates – 21 »« Mouretsu Pirates – 19

Mouretsu Pirates – 20

Mouretsu Pirates   20   01 Mouretsu Pirates   20   02 Mouretsu Pirates   20   03
Mouretsu Pirates   20   04 Mouretsu Pirates   20   05 Mouretsu Pirates   20   06
Mouretsu Pirates   20   07 Mouretsu Pirates   20   08 Mouretsu Pirates   20   09
Mouretsu Pirates   20   10 Mouretsu Pirates   20   11 Mouretsu Pirates   20   12
Mouretsu Pirates   20   13 Mouretsu Pirates   20   14 Mouretsu Pirates   20   15
Mouretsu Pirates   20   16 Mouretsu Pirates   20   17 Mouretsu Pirates   20   18
Mouretsu Pirates   20   19 Mouretsu Pirates   20   20 Mouretsu Pirates   20   21
Mouretsu Pirates   20   22 Mouretsu Pirates   20   23 Mouretsu Pirates   20   24
Mouretsu Pirates   20   25 Mouretsu Pirates   20   26 Mouretsu Pirates   20   27
Mouretsu Pirates   20   28 Mouretsu Pirates   20   29 Mouretsu Pirates   20   30
Mouretsu Pirates   20   31 Mouretsu Pirates   20   32 Mouretsu Pirates   20   33
Mouretsu Pirates   20   34 Mouretsu Pirates   20   35 Mouretsu Pirates   20   36

「茉莉香、波に乗る」 (Senchou, Nami ni Noru)
“The Captain Rides the Waves”

This was not your average swimsuit episode by any stretch. Turns out it wasn’t a mere filler episode at all, instead serving as the introduction to what looks like the most serious arc yet, one that’s fraught with peril and nefarious elements that will probably end up threatening Marika herself. Color me excited!

After watching Ai lovingly embrace the dinghy she stumbled upon last week, I had hoped that we’d jump right into some spectacular action involving it in this episode. However, in true Mouretsu Pirates tradition, I had a feeling that that there would be no diving headlong into anything… everyone needs to go through some training first! This isn’t some show where every character is automatically an expert, after all. What I didn’t expect was that the creepy looking man in the slicked-back hair and sunglasses seen in last week’s preview, was actually our mild-mannered helmsman (and new gym teacher) Kane. Can’t say I like his sadistic side or his choice in swimwear at all, but you can’t argue with the results he was able to achieve with all the tests and trials he put those poor girls through. Maybe he knew of the trouble Hakuoh Academy caused in the Nebula Cup five years ago and is trying to prevent a repeat? In any case, I do understand where he’s coming from; you have to push people to their limit to see what they are truly capable of, even if it meant using the Bentenmaru to create a wicked “storm”. (Even with their letter of marque, that has to be illegal somehow, right?)

There were a couple of aspects that I really liked about Kane making the girls hold a windsurfing race, and no, seeing them in swimsuits is not one of them. Windsurfing is actually an ingenious choice because I feel that sailing a dinghy in the solar winds of space is a skill that cannot be taught completely inside a simulator. The strength of a gust, the pull of the sail, and the balance of the board – these are sensations that must be felt in person, and experiencing them will undoubtedly be useful in helping the girls grasp the nuances of piloting the dinghies. Probably the best aspect of the race was actually letting some of the lesser known girls shine in the spotlight. Marika actually wasn’t the winner for once, and now I can write about some of the other girls too! I definitely did not expect that the three Yacht Club representatives in the Nebula Cup would all first-year girls who haven’t taken the marine sports class. I can understand Ai winning as she’s already shown her impressive piloting talents, but Natalia and Grunhilde coming in ahead of her? Talk about coming out of left field (not to mention in Grunhilde’s case, adorable too). It’ll be fun to learn more about these girls as they take center stage while Marika works in the shadows protecting the Nebula Cup.

Speaking of shadows, I’m curious who the group of men meeting in the dark club were. From what I can gather, they seem like some sort of syndicate who have a treaty with the Katous and will now intervene to protect Marika from the Bisque Company, whose ship can also be seen in the previews and are going after her personally. Another question is who the hooded mysterious man is, the one that Ririka recognized, and the one who set up this treaty in the first place. It is these shady elements to the story that make this arc even more appealing to me because it shows that the Mouretsu Pirates universe isn’t all rosy and moe. Even though I really don’t want this series to end, consider me very excited for the final arc.

Mouretsu Pirates   20   Preview 01 Mouretsu Pirates   20   Preview 02 Mouretsu Pirates   20   Preview 03
May 23, 2012 at 2:46 am
  • May 23, 2012 at 3:25 amfragb85

Damn you camera angle! Damn you!

Interesting how the winners are all freshman Yacht Club Members though its nice to see Grunhilde finally do something.

• May 23, 2012 at 8:39 amJohn Hayabusa

That angle was amusing. Marika’s pantsu was wide open, yet the camera decided to go for a stupid angle. At least we get to see the girls in their school swimsuits.

Grunhilde was amazing. I can feel the blood and genes of a certain squid invader and a certain Cure from her. I hope you know what I am talking about.

I feel like Ai-chan stole the show in this episode. Good to see her shine.

Finally, we get to see Chiaki-chan again and looks like she is set to become one awesome, action girl. She better tone down her tsun-tsunness a bit and get Marika’s attention, otherwise the Serenity sisters are guaranteed to win Marika’s love.

• May 23, 2012 at 3:08 pmnatsu-san

Ika musume -chan ? :p

• May 23, 2012 at 3:40 amP Ko

It’s anime like this which make me wish there was an interactive camera.
    How can there be so many short skirts and an extreme lack of pantsu?

COME ON! THAT’S JUST NOT FAIR!

• May 23, 2012 at 3:54 ammac65

I thought Pirates’ creed dictated going commando… Just a thought!
      Why, yes it is all I think about :)

• May 23, 2012 at 5:05 amP Ko

Somehow I don’t think that’ll be on the bluray d:

• May 23, 2012 at 4:34 amEuzio

That angle!!! Marika is fortunate there are no cars on the road in the vicinity. If she rides her bike like that, there’s gonna be a series of accidents occurring. XD

And we finally get some sort of beach episode. Especially since they kinda teased us with the potential at the start of episode 6 only to shoot us way down >_<. Though it was kinda underwhelming since all of them ended up wearing their school swimsuits. Kane must have been letting go of all his stress with his 'S' mode coaching role :P.

• May 23, 2012 at 8:17 amWanderer

The first thing I thought when I saw that image was “Marika’s giving someone a view there.”

• May 23, 2012 at 5:43 amMagewolf

I think Kane must have been watching Gunbuster while in quarantine.

• May 23, 2012 at 5:53 am0927123

‘COACHEEE!!’

• May 23, 2012 at 6:01 amMrTerrorist

verdant, what do you have against Kane’s swimsuit?
    It’s fanservice for the ladies! (and some men.)

• May 23, 2012 at 9:13 amverdant

It’s just not my cup of tea, that’s all, haha

• May 23, 2012 at 6:08 amgandalf8

And so we’re at the start of a new arc, and it looks like a plot-centric arc that will focus on the Kato’s and the Hakuoh Space Yacht club. Regarding that mysterious hooded man, I think everyone can already guess who he is, right? It looks like the stomach bugs in the future weren’t so deadly as we were formerly led to believe..

I really thought that Marika getting a spot as one of the pilots for the race was a total certainty, but I guess this years first years are really good (although Grunhilde had a little ‘help’ in getting second place). It looks like the Nebula cup is set to get some added glamour and glitz for their 19th edition with a princess joining as a contestant and another princess being the starter.

Unfortunately, another episode with zero Chiaki-chan quota. Too bad she wasn’t there when Kane decided to treat the girls for some parfait at the Lamp House. Well, at least in the previews it looks like she’s gonna get back right into the thick of the action in the next episode.

• May 23, 2012 at 6:08 amMrTerrorist

Those group of men were the leaders of various criminal, government and military organizations that were checking out Marika before she decided to become a space prate as explained by Chiaki. Most of them want Marika to be on their side but for now, all of them are in a truce to not interfere in her personal life until the time has come fro her to decide.

• May 23, 2012 at 6:45 amricz

“Another question is who the hooded mysterious man is”

It looks really familiar too me … I believe it’s the one from d gray man XD

Cross marian?

• May 23, 2012 at 7:32 amSteven Den Beste

How much you want to bet that he’s Gonzaemon? Not actually dead?

• May 23, 2012 at 8:43 amshamaticgrl

This ep is one of the worse ep ever! So much panty potential and they failed at all opportunity ;-; LOL jk jk It was a great ep and got me laughing constantly. Although…my eyes still hurt everytime I see Kane. There are some images that aren’t meant to be broke D:

Does the guy in the hood remind you of Villagiulio (Rinne no Lagrange) ._. but I’m guessing it’s her zombie father or possibly just a deranged man who likes to wear a hood over his face and smile. O.o

• May 23, 2012 at 10:36 amverdant

Every time I see the name Villaguilo, I can’t help but mispronounce it like Madoka

• May 23, 2012 at 11:07 amshamaticgrl

I still do! and not on purpose…I cna’t even pronounce it correct to begin with D:

• May 23, 2012 at 1:01 pmelmaton04

That mysterious hooded looks familiar. I hope the final arc is something.

• May 23, 2012 at 10:03 pmMrTerrorist

Mysterious hooded man watches
      (from a distance)
      Take a second to look awesome
      Time to go.

• May 23, 2012 at 9:18 pmALurker

I’m surprised at the lack of mention of the Yacht Club’s brains being forced to run 50 laps for not even attempting to practice wind-surfing.

Poor girls; those delicious treats wasted, and the joys of parfaits missed.

• May 24, 2012 at 5:29 amskylion

Finally, after nearly wasting her potential for eight episodes, some Grunhilde action. Hoping for more next show.