Kuroko no Basuke – 12 »« Kuroko no Basuke – 10

Kuroko no Basuke – 11

Kuroko no Basuke   11   01 Kuroko no Basuke   11   02 Kuroko no Basuke   11   03
Kuroko no Basuke   11   04 Kuroko no Basuke   11   05 Kuroko no Basuke   11   06
Kuroko no Basuke   11   07 Kuroko no Basuke   11   08 Kuroko no Basuke   11   09
Kuroko no Basuke   11   10 Kuroko no Basuke   11   11 Kuroko no Basuke   11   12
Kuroko no Basuke   11   13 Kuroko no Basuke   11   14 Kuroko no Basuke   11   15
Kuroko no Basuke   11   16 Kuroko no Basuke   11   17 Kuroko no Basuke   11   18
Kuroko no Basuke   11   19 Kuroko no Basuke   11   20 Kuroko no Basuke   11   21
Kuroko no Basuke   11   22 Kuroko no Basuke   11   23 Kuroko no Basuke   11   24
Kuroko no Basuke   11   25 Kuroko no Basuke   11   26 Kuroko no Basuke   11   27
Kuroko no Basuke   11   28 Kuroko no Basuke   11   29 Kuroko no Basuke   11   30
Kuroko no Basuke   11   31 Kuroko no Basuke   11   32 Kuroko no Basuke   11   33
Kuroko no Basuke   11   34 Kuroko no Basuke   11   35 Kuroko no Basuke   11   36

「そんなもんじゃねえだろ」 (Sonna Mon Janeedarou)
“That’s Not It”

Da-yum, Midorima! You’re gonna give poor Hyuuga a heart attack if you keep up with those crazy shots – as if having his prized action figures broken weren’t punishment enough (subtle reference there, Production I.G.), he has to contend with shots like these?

Shuutoku vs. Seirin really got into full swing this week and it’s every bit as exciting and nail-biting as I thought it would be. Shuutoku isn’t crowned one of the three “Immobile Kings” without good reason, and the other players on the team swiftly showed their worth when the one weakness of Midorima’s shooting strategy became apparent. He may be the star of their team, but he’s not the only capable player, unlike Shinkyo where Dad was really the only player with any worth. The dynamics of the Shuutoku team continue to amuse me; the other players seem to actively despise Midorima’s “selfish actions” and the captain looks like he’s going to rip him a new hole should they lose the game. Not even the coach is up for catering to every single one of his whims, and I point these out as interesting since they’re a somewhat unexpected spin on the talented star player cliché. Often times a player like Midorima will get the golden treatment simply because of how talented he is (e.g. LeBron James), but that’s not the case here. It’s also a testament to his character – self-centered, aloof and calculating. It’s bound to cause friction within a team sport that has a clear hierarchy built into it: seniority, teamwork, etc.

Take Kise for example. He’s talented, but at the same time he’s also a very affable individual, and there’s no evidence of the same kind of animosity in Kaijou like there is in Shuutoku. Kagami and Kuroko are also very much team players; they’re certainly good, but they respect their seniors and know what they can ask of them and what they can’t. The difference in all of their personality is even clearer in the flashback and I like how it creates such a complex conflict in the present: it’s not just about which school wins and advances – it’s a match of game philosophy, about proving which ideology is right. Do you win as a team or as an individual? A classic dilemma in sports-related mediums, but there’s something about Kuroko no Basuke that brings a fresh spin to the old tale. Maybe it’s that nothing feels truly contrived? Sure, those magic passes are improbable and defies logic, but Seirin’s wins aren’t due to some sort of magic shounen power-up brought on BY THE POWER OF LOVE AND FRIENDSHIPTM; it’s hard work and smart strategies that bring them the win, and even then, their opponents still give them a run for their money. That’s what makes it so exciting, to see the match vacillate between each team so often like in an actual match.

The extra layer of conflict certainly makes the Ono vs. Ono vs. Ono more exciting to watch. Speaking of the three, I have to say each of the seiyuu are doing a remarkable job of bringing out the characters’ personalities and marking the urgency and importance of each moment. Ono Daisuke (Midorima) has never not been good, but it’s my first time hearing Ono Yuuki (Kagami) and Ono Kenshou (Kuroko) – they’re pitch perfect for their roles though, and the fit really helps bring key scenes to life. There’s nothing more annoying than being distracted by the seiyuu’s performance during a critical moment… not necessarily because they’re bad, but maybe because there’s probably another seiyuu out there you could stick into the role.

As of the moment though, it looks like Ono Daisuke is the one winning the three-way tug-of-war; Midorima can shoot virtually from anywhere, Kuroko is shut down for the time being by Takao, and Kagami is having a difficult time keeping up with Shuutoku’s ace. Even if Seirin does score, it’s as Midorima pointed out – he’ll be shooting 3-pointers while they can only manage 2-pointers. Unless they figure out a way to get Kuroko back in the game and block Shuutoku’s shots, Seirin is going to have a tough time making it out of this one with a victory.

P.S.: I would die if I was forced to break my figurines. I totally feel your pain Hyuuga, even though I found your manly tears to be very funny.

Terminology of the Day:

• Hang-time: How long a player stays in the air after jumping to make a shot, dunk, lay-up, etc. (Wikipedia)
  • Back-tip: A transition move that requires one defender to tip the ball from the dribbler to another defender ahead, allowing the switch to offensive plays. (BasketballCoach.com)

Full-length images: 2, 7, 9, 14, 17, 18, 32, 34, 36, Preview 1.

ED1.10 Sequence

Kuroko no Basuke   ED1.10   01

ED: 「Start it right away」 by (Hyadain)

Kuroko no Basuke   11   Preview 01 Kuroko no Basuke   11   Preview 02 Kuroko no Basuke   11   Preview 03

End Card

Kuroko no Basuke   11   End Card
June 17, 2012 at 3:39 am
  • June 17, 2012 at 3:55 amRain

Great episode. Looking forward to next one.

• June 17, 2012 at 4:43 amFrog

RIP figurines. You shall not be forgotten.

• June 17, 2012 at 6:08 ambelatkuro

At this point, one really needs to throw logic out the window and ignore all the ridiculousness in those shots and passes to enjoy it. Luckily I had mine thrown out long before as I’ve read the manga(and it gets even more ridiculous later on). I’m enjoying this show a lot.
    That said, Midorima is a freaking monster. The gap will clearly get wider if he goes with those long ass shots.
    Wonder why they won’t double team him, though it was probably because shooting in those distances doesn’t require much guard. But they now have to guard him and quick. Luckily, Kagami is on fire now and will show him that he can defeat those Hail Mary shots. How is something you have to wait and see(I only remember vaguely these parts so I’m not sure myself how he will do it though orz)

Nice one on the Ono part ;)

• June 17, 2012 at 1:26 pmBakaMochi

Yeah… although applying logic to anime is just a rage-inducing experience to begin with XD I mean like wow – 100% of his shots going in requires some serious divine intervention LOL

As for Ono vs. Ono vs. Ono though, some of my best ideas do come from the comments =D

• June 17, 2012 at 9:37 am-blacksheep

It would be great to see Hyuga also do those half-court and full-court 3-pointer shots. I’ll patiently wait for that :3

• June 17, 2012 at 9:42 ammistress_kisara

Seriously!? a full court shot!!!?? If Midorima is already a monster, I don’t know what to call the remaining GoM members. Still, I enjoyed the ep. Hopefully Seirin would get them back..

• June 17, 2012 at 1:28 pmBakaMochi

I know, right?! Judging from the OP/ED, we’ve got one more GoM member to meet before the season (or the series) ends – I’m curious to know what kind of special talent he’s got.

• June 18, 2012 at 5:45 amAvgJoe

Aomine Daiki, Teiko’s Ace, same position as Kagami. Try to imagine how a monster that can be. xD

• June 17, 2012 at 11:06 amkwantum0

Prediction from someone who hasn’t read the manga: The way to stop Midorima’s shots, if you can’t preventing him from shooting, prevent him from scoring. Knock the ball away just before it enters the net.

• June 17, 2012 at 11:09 ambelatkuro

Knock the ball away just before it enters the net.
      That’s called goal tending and the basket will still count.

• June 17, 2012 at 11:13 amkwantum0

I just went to check to see if there was a rule against that… So apparently if the ball is on the decline, you can no longer stop the shot. (don’t nearly watch enough basketball)

• June 17, 2012 at 11:40 amWenike

Like Kuroko said a couple of episodes ago, if Midorima maintains his form, he will not miss the basket. So, like how Kagami threw Dad off his game, maybe the same thing will work with Midorima?

• June 17, 2012 at 11:41 amIntricateRadiance

Did ANYONE else want to punch Midorima in the face? I have no idea why he was getting on my nerves so much, but he was.

I’m looking forward to see if Kuroko will find a way to beat Takao, and the same for Kagami with Midorima.

Poor, poor Hyuuga.

• June 17, 2012 at 1:29 pmBakaMochi

Don’t worry… I think his teammates will do that for you, with a pineapple no less! XD

• June 17, 2012 at 4:27 pmrochichan

Agreed with the voice acting! All the Onos’ are doing so well! My favorite is especially Kenshou Ono–did you know he did the Japanese dubbing for Harry in Harry Potter? lol
    Awesome episode, as usual~

• June 17, 2012 at 5:05 pmFT5Havok

MIDORIMA is a scoring machine !! With those OP shots.. QQ

• June 17, 2012 at 5:59 pmmainavidesu

I laugh hard when Captain Hyuuga’s says “Masamune”, “Yukimura”, “Shingen”. I need to replay that for how many times. My favorite part of the episode.

It just me or Midorima’s release of the ball is very slow? I don’t know if it’s slow motion or he really release the ball in such a slow manner that if your beside him and can jump higher you can block it.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:30 pmEunichi

Production IG is doing good covering this series. First, they didn’t make Kuroko’s passes look like beams, as in the case in the manga). Now, they improved the background sound because the first few episodes were dry. Yeah, not really improved but added more tracks but that’s better.

How can you stop those 3 points? Block it while it still hasn’t reached its peak or just after the ball was released. If you have been watching how Kagami defeats his opponents, you’ll have the idea how he’ll block it (tip: go back to Kaijo’s battle)

• June 19, 2012 at 2:54 amMainavidesu

I know production I. G. Is doing a great job in the anime version. That’s obvious. I don’t remember complaining about the anime.

And as for how Kagami battle midorima i already know that. I have read the manga since last year and I know midorima’s weakness. But that’s something I cannot spoil for the sake of those who didn’t or have not yet read the manga. I’m only asking it it’s just me who notice some hint in Midorima’s weakness being highlighted as they focus on him as he makes his 3′s.

Hmmm. I don’t know ifyour. Comment is really
        For me or for others cuz it’s not related at all. Sorry!

• June 19, 2012 at 6:01 amEunichi

Stupid me. This is not supposed to be a reply

• June 19, 2012 at 6:04 pmmainavidesu

I see… Click the wrong botton?

Well it’s ok. (P.S. I like your avatar).

• June 17, 2012 at 6:00 pmNymphetamine2791

Honestly… who shoots full court buckets consistently? They’re making Kobe Bryant look like he was a riff raft at his prime, lmao.