Sankarea – 12 (END) »« Sankarea – 11

Sankarea   OAD   19 Sankarea   OAD   20 Sankarea   OAD   21
Sankarea   OAD   22 Sankarea   OAD   23 Sankarea   OAD   24
Sankarea   OAD   25 Sankarea   OAD   26 Sankarea   OAD   27
Sankarea   OAD   28 Sankarea   OAD   29 Sankarea   OAD   30
Sankarea   OAD   31 Sankarea   OAD   32 Sankarea   OAD   33
Sankarea   OAD   34 Sankarea   OAD   35 Sankarea   OAD   36

「運命って…奴は…」 (Unmeitte… Yatsu wa…)
“Fate… is Really…”

I present to you the long awaited post on Sankarea’s episode 00 – released back in the beginning of June. To make up for my tardiness, I’ve included all the NSFW full-lengths for my readers! Now onto the actual episode content…

For those who were wondering (and haven’t seen the OAD), this is not necessarily a must-watch episode, but it does provide a lot of context and background story to Sankarea. The episode takes place 7 months prior to episode 1 and that’s why it’s usually labeled as episode 00. The main focus is actually both the mothers’ of Rea and Chihiro and I thought that played in very nicely, considering how I just finished watching episode 10 (which showed Aria’s back story) prior to this OAD. It tied in well to fill the one-week gap that the anime was on break.

The OAD actually surprised me quite a bit with the sudden shots of (who I assume to be) Chihiro’s mother and her very unfortunate circumstances. I still don’t know the entire background story revolving her existence… there seem to be a lot of theories saying how she is also a zombie (I believe this can be seen in episode 9 with Mero). However her transformation (or demise?) seems to be a lot more gruesome and disturbing than I would’ve imagined, especially for a romantic comedy. What did I say about Sankarea being able to keep me on my toes? I love the mystery aspect, but unfortunately, I don’t think this will be explored until much later (if ever, since I can only see 12 episodes scheduled). That’s a shame since I would think that Chihiro’s obsession with zombies, as something that branched from his childhood and/or his mother.

Aria on the other hand, has no mystery behind her actions anymore. While I do feel bad for Rea, I almost pity Aria just as much, given her lack of attention from her own husband. She takes it out on Rea and with her high alcohol intake and Rea’s passiveness; she really does abuse her step-daughter a lot. I originally thought that Danichirou was the reason for Rea’s desire to run away, but I can see now that a lot of that stemmed from her step-mother. While Danichirou subjects Rea to nude photos, Aria is very emotionally draining as well and after years of hearing how her own step-mother loathes her, I’m sure that’s enough to make anyone want to disappear.

One of the things that I like about Sankarea is how “realistic” they try to make it for Rea to exist as a zombie in the normal human world. She has problems with her decaying body, her abnormal strength and her inability to feel warmth. Sometimes I forget how this show has “supernatural” elements as well. However, this OAD reminded me that many recent events came from Chihiro’s zombie book… a book that he discovered out of pure lucky from a gust of wind. Hmmmm… I never thought that there were that many coincidences in this anime, but I’d have to say that this is definitely a sign. Perhaps that’s why the title of this OAD is about fate – and after seeing the turn of events 7 months down the line, I would definitely say that this is a result of fate.

Full-length images: 04, 05, 06, 10, 17, 24, 28, 34.

June 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm
  • June 24, 2012 at 8:05 pmbelatkuro

Lots of good material here.

I mean for the story you know, the story!

• June 24, 2012 at 8:17 pmAlfred

• June 24, 2012 at 8:20 pmThe_Magus_Killer

Downloaded and saved these pictures to my hard drive, for Science and Great Justice. =)

• June 24, 2012 at 8:25 pmbertman4

Surprisingly well done. Given the quality of fillers in the season, I was kind of dreading this OAD. However, they did a nice job of filling in and fleshing out the characters. I think Chihiro’s dad (Furuya Do-o-n)benefited the most. In the main series, and even in the manga, he’s kind of a non-character. I thought it was refreshing to have a single dad in anime instead of the kids living on their own (like that ever happens in real life). But for the most part he’s been in the background, even on really important decisions. I wondered why he never mentions his dead wife or if he even knew what has been hinted. Here, we finally get a glimpse into his side of the story. It seems he did know, or at the very least suspected. Even though he’s denying his kids from knowing their mother, he is in his own way honoring her and keeping his promise to her. So yeah, I really enjoyed that part of the story.

• June 24, 2012 at 9:10 pmBass.EXE

Has there really been fillers already? I can’t even tell. Nothing seemed extraneous or out of the ordinary

• June 24, 2012 at 9:04 pmReianz

Good Stuff!

• June 24, 2012 at 11:44 pmKumakaori

am I the only one who doesn’t enjoy the Rea fulls? … I mean.. this puts us on the same level as her Father now, y’know :/… creepy and gross D:. …

• June 25, 2012 at 12:01 amsnakechimera

But, we are not her father, making this a-okay. Its like liking the little sister character in an anime. We are not her older brother/sister, so it is a-okay. 大丈夫だよ

• June 25, 2012 at 12:02 amAngelus

I’m not enjoying them because the aspect ratio is screwed up.

• June 25, 2012 at 12:04 amsnakechimera

btw, someone I know at Fanime always has that picture on his/her badge. Do you happen to work in GR at Fanime. If not, then nvm

• June 25, 2012 at 2:34 ammac65

Chihiro’s zombie book…

In the beginning, I thought this was something his senile grandfather had written in
    his younger days.

I like tasteful fan service, and this was well done and fitting with the overall story.
    What Danichirou sees in Rea, while sick, is not perverted. Danichirou’s a complex
    man and the loss of something he truly loved and cherished pushed him over the edge.

A bitter-sweet story – wonder how it will end…

• June 25, 2012 at 3:37 amAndrew

Why do people come up with any justification for perverts … For every scoundrel there are always lawyers.

• June 25, 2012 at 2:38 amEx14

There was one thing i didn’t quite get though….

Didn’t they say it took them the whole night BY CAR to drive to their relative place? if so, wouldn;t that mean Rea’s house is quite a distance from chihiro’s?

Which then makes me wonder. HOW DID THEY MEET AT THAT ABANDONED PLACE IN THE FIRST PLACE when all they had was legs and a bike? =/

• June 25, 2012 at 3:33 amTingster013

Well, her dad is rich so maybe over a while, he expanded the house territory?? People with great influence tend to do something to show their might… in this case, he probably expanded his territory to take more of Rea birthday suit in different places…

• June 25, 2012 at 6:02 ambertman4

I don’t think that was their house/mansion. I think it was one of their many country homes.

• June 25, 2012 at 7:03 amTingster013

still, it is his territory… That bloody sick man…

• June 25, 2012 at 3:30 amAnanas

Rea nude photo session. When you don’t have zombie you need other forms of service. Then even more nude Rea…

• June 25, 2012 at 3:36 amTingster013

Aria is so sad, I feel the pain, getting ignored by the person you loved… However, I condemn her actions, pulling hair?? Really painful, we all know that, ouch!!!

• June 25, 2012 at 4:35 amUnajuuphile

I demand Dan’ichirou be killed in the most painful and humiliating way possible for all the things he did to Rea (and others if applicable).

• June 25, 2012 at 7:57 pmAndrew

+1. Yes. Place a person in hell. Or in prison – for the rest of his life. I hope it will be short (life). yes yes – we are humanists – prison.

• June 25, 2012 at 8:08 pmAndrew

• June 27, 2012 at 7:24 amCybersteel

1 death, 1 kill

• June 28, 2012 at 11:44 amD-LaN

I’m sure Grail-kun has the answer.