Accel World – 13 »« Accel World – 11

Accel World   12   22 Accel World   12   23 Accel World   12   24
Accel World   12   25 Accel World   12   26 Accel World   12   27
Accel World   12   28 Accel World   12   29 Accel World   12   30
Accel World   12   31 Accel World   12   32 Accel World   12   33
Accel World   12   34 Accel World   12   35 Accel World   12   36

「Absolution; 容赦」 (Yousha)

Our first cour of Accel World comes to a close with the end of Chrome Disaster’s arc and I think it’s a very fitting way to lead into the second half of this series. The first half did a great job in setting up the Accel World universe, introducing a very colorful (quite literally) cast of characters and a lot of elements in the story other than simply reaching level 10 and “winning the game”. Each arc also gets increasingly more interesting and deep as more characters are involved and the issues expand outside Haruyuki (and company). The maturity level of all the level 9 Kings never ceases to amaze me and I often forget that they’re only “kids” – in age anyway.

I admit that Accel World has a few elements that never surprise me – a lot of it involving Haruyuki’s ability to overcome (almost) everything; after all, he’s a pretty bright guy. But there are definitely more events (recently) that catch me off guard and actually make my heart skip a beat. This being Yuniko’s cheap shot at Kuroyukihime and the result of Chrome Disaster (after Cherry Rook’s defeat). I felt that his death came almost a little too easily and quickly… there must be something up with the voice that Haruyuki hears. When will it play its role again, I’m not too sure, but it’ll probably take over Haruyuki’s mind as his desire to level up and become stronger overcomes his reasons for doing so (his reasons being… for Kuroyukihime).

I want to say I told you so… but even I got it slightly wrong. I made a prediction after episode 8 that the “monster” ripping everyone apart was probably Yuniko’s protégé. It appears that Yuniko was actually Cherry Rook’s protégé instead, which I can imagine, makes it all the more difficult for Cherry Rook to accept Yuniko (Scarlet Rain) passing him. If I was someone’s guardian, although I would be proud that my protégé managed to surpass me, I would probably feel very bitter about it. I understand that Accel World is about striving for level 10 and “winning”, but it’s still hard to accept someone that you trained – would become your king one day. Perhaps I’m just very competitive in nature…

The arc comes to a close by introducing Yuniko as a permanent member in Haruyuki’s household. I admit – she’s grown a lot on me and even though I’m usually not a fan of crazy lolis, I will make an exception this time. Yuniko’s background story has been such a tragedy; she’s lost so many important people in her life (her parents and now Cherry Rook is moving away) that I almost feel like she deserves to be with Haruyuki if he makes her happy (which I’m sure he does). The ending scene with the cookies was a nice touch between the two characters as well. Haruyuki’s not afraid to show how he really feels – which I assume, is appreciation for Yuniko’s friendship.

Next episode brings back Chiyuri and her introduction to the Brain Burst software?! Finally! Accel World never has a dull moment and I love it.

Full-length images: 01, 07, 08, 15, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 33, 36.

Accel World   12   Preview 01 Accel World   12   Preview 02 Accel World   12   Preview 03
June 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm
  • June 30, 2012 at 11:40 pmjrj

the fight is a little short, for sure… but nonetheless it is cool to see…
    I guess for the sake of saving time, anime cut off the contrast between kuro hime and Niko yuri play acting like sisters when they slept over at Haru’s place and the shot that could potentially killed black lotus… it was pretty emotional, but oh well… Niko as a tsundere is already well-established :)

as to the voice Haru heard… Show Spoiler ▼

next week, new arc starts… the most dreadful arc so far in my opinion, but still awesome to see… can’t wait!

• July 1, 2012 at 1:33 pmPhoenix-Crest

Let’s just hope it doesn’t suffer from Guilty Crown Syndrome like Aquarion EVOL…

• July 1, 2012 at 3:43 pmCherrie

Sad to hear that about the next arc =( would you like to blog it in my place? =P haha!

• July 1, 2012 at 5:57 pmjrj

@Phoenix-Crest, I think kaji-san is doing a fine job here…

@Cherrie, haha, it really isn’t all that bad to he honest… plus if I were to blog this new arc, it would be terrible since I already have a prejudice, but I promise I will continue support your posts here… :)

• July 2, 2012 at 2:41 amshuin_zwei

• July 2, 2012 at 3:32 amjrj

I am not going to say that your opinion is wrong… but not to spoil anything from the LN, all I can say is that think about why the current chrome disaster (5th generation) is being hunted and received judgement blow in the end? :)

• July 2, 2012 at 3:12 pmPhoenix-Crest

I’m not disputing Yuki Kaji’s voicing. I’m talking about the first half being good and the second half being crap. But then again Accel World is Light Novel and not an orginal anime so I guess I haven’t nothing to worry about ^^

• June 30, 2012 at 11:54 pmClick

All-in-all, a decent episode. I have never myself emotionally connected to any of the characters in Accel World, and while I doubt that I ever will, the action is undeniably fun to watch.

• July 1, 2012 at 12:06 amZeru

I don’t think Niko is actually staying at his place permanently, she was just visiting, and hacked his mom again. ;D

• July 1, 2012 at 12:09 amewok40k

ss #35 DAT LOLI BLUSH!
    ss #12 I like that mecha design!

• July 1, 2012 at 12:21 amBlackShock

I feel that this episode was quite a letdown. Or maybe it was just that last episode was much better. Chrome Disaster died too easily and the fight between Kuroyukihime and Chrome disaster was too short for me . Kuro and Haru also seemed to escape relatively unscathed as compared to reading the LN.

Overall not a good episode, some parts could be emphasized and be longer. But then again, it is probably not long enough to cover 2 episodes and the next arc have to arrive as well. I recommend reading the LN part for this version.

• July 1, 2012 at 1:27 amAnanas

They really need to be less generous in the sappy department.

• July 1, 2012 at 2:21 amtylon

Will there be a new opening song next week?

I don’t really like the next arc (mainly because Show Spoiler ▼

), but Fuuko onee-sama… Finally…

• July 1, 2012 at 2:28 amjrj

agree +1…
      though Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 3:35 amHakarum

• July 2, 2012 at 7:50 pmbeast

• July 1, 2012 at 3:13 amStereoman

Dat anatomy

• July 1, 2012 at 3:15 amelior1

@jrj i was read the novel but can you remaind me in spoiler what is chiyu avatar power will be?and who is this new boy?i forgot becouse i was read too many chapters

• July 1, 2012 at 3:31 amHakarum

• July 1, 2012 at 4:44 amjrj

Hakarum, what you said isn’t wrong, but the detail is not precise either…

• July 1, 2012 at 4:56 amHakarum

Apologies, I haven’t exactly read the particular volume in a long time. All I remember from that arc was the final fight where Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 6:14 amHakarum

Jrj, in response to your answer about Chiyu’s ability Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 5:53 pmjrj

hakarum,
        to answer your question, Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 3:19 amworstof2012

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• July 1, 2012 at 3:33 amDa5id

Question: Is there any show that’s covered here that you DO like?

• July 1, 2012 at 5:15 amMike

yea, his own posts

• July 1, 2012 at 5:50 amZnail

It wont be gone for good as it will of course be back with a sequel :P

• July 1, 2012 at 3:27 amHakarum

Oh damn can’t wait for the end of the next arc, the next arc’s going to be rage-inducing, at least until the final fight

• July 1, 2012 at 4:27 amThe Moondoggie

The next arc should be good.

+1 to Haruyuki’s harem, I guess…

• July 1, 2012 at 5:59 amjrj

funny how you already used the term “harem” this early in the story… wait till vol.9 or 11… the power of porky is sure strong with this one :) wish I can have just 20%-50% of his power in RL…

• July 1, 2012 at 6:34 amHakarum

I prefer Kirito’s powers instead. Heck, he gets at least 1 girl in every single damn game he plays! There’s already 3 from SAO, 1 from ALO and 1 from GGO, and 1 from UW . And he’s going to get married with all of them as well! At least that’s what the non-canon novel shows.

• July 1, 2012 at 6:38 amThe Moondoggie

Everyone loves the flying pig of this series, it makes me wonder if the author has a hidden resentment or something :D

No matter: epic online battles is still epic and a gamer like him naturally will get all the girls in this show.

Kirito gets 1 to 2 girls per game… LOLZ at him almost dying in my most recent read.

Say: If Kuroyukihime is really Kirito’s daughter won’t he end up appearing in AW end?

• July 1, 2012 at 7:03 amHakarum

Omg that would definitely explain her epic close-combat skills! But that’ll mean that she didn’t inherit her mother’s (assuming its Asuna) looks . T_T and that’ll mean that Kirito and Asuna are rather terrible leaving Kuro to live on her own , and not coming to visit her when she was in the hospital T_T

• July 1, 2012 at 7:03 amHakarum

Omg that would definitely explain her epic close-combat skills! But that’ll mean that she didn’t inherit her mother’s (assuming its Asuna) looks . T_T and that’ll mean that Kirito and Asuna are rather terrible parents for leaving Kuro to live on her own , and not coming to visit her when she was in the hospital T_T

• July 1, 2012 at 8:55 ambelatkuro

Sorry to break it to you folks but SAO and AW are not on the same universe. Kawahara said so himself in the volume 10 afterwords in AW. He said that Show Spoiler ▼

So yeah.

• July 1, 2012 at 12:46 pmMike

Actually, Kawahara said that “there’s no clear connection” between the two series, but he did not elaborate on whether they are in the same world or not, as he’s opting to keep it ambiguous for now.

• July 1, 2012 at 8:49 pmThe Moondoggie

But Belat, that thingy in their necks at AW is also in experimental stage in SAO’s Alice-something Arc. I remember Kirito…

Or maybe I’m mistaken.

• July 1, 2012 at 5:08 amHungryKoala

I see so many people stating that the next arc is rage inducing, and I dont understand why.

I’m so curious. T_T

• July 1, 2012 at 5:17 amMike

Well, for one there’s going to be a very hate-able villain.

and then there are the people who will /rage at anything that’s can be remotely connected to NTR, even if it isn’t.

• July 1, 2012 at 5:31 amHakarum

I do agree it isn’t exactly NTR, but the way the author wrote, or due to translation errors or something, the way the scene is played out is very similar to a stupid NTR scene . O well at least there are some cool fights in this one, Go Haru!!!

• July 1, 2012 at 1:03 pmMike

all I can say is that me and you read a very different novel, as it was abundantly clear from the outset that Show Spoiler ▼

TBH, what annoys me most about NTR is that a friggin hentai sub-genre has somehow become so dominant that a good ‘ol simple Show Spoiler ▼

these days gets lumped into it and the prerequisite rage that follows.

• July 1, 2012 at 5:24 amHakarum

Trust me, you wouldn’t want to know. In terms of character development, the next arc is probably the lowest out of all the arcs. The level of face palm is seriously too damn high. A short and sweet explanation will be, something like NTR. Long version , unless u seriously want to be spoiled, read @ your own risk. You have been warned. Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 5:56 amjrj

read that spoiler tag at your own risk… but my reason for saying it is dreadful is a little different from what has been mentioned up here…

AW for the most part has always been emphasizing the power of bond and hope (even the later arc), but this arc, for a large part of the story, offers little of either… I am not going to spoil anything major, but reading this arc kind of make my mood dark…

on the other hand, you can interpret this as the author did a great job in building up the suspense and dread for the awesome showdown at the climax. Either way, just sit back and enjoy the roller coaster ride :)

• July 1, 2012 at 6:11 amHakarum

Well, I feel that the way the author played out this arc was basically making me feel “What the heck was the point of Haru & Taku anyway??” I guess he’s pretty good at destroying expectations though. Every time I think that it’s going to end up well, the author goes and destroys it with another moment of despair, not on the level of Fate/Zero of course. But it really made me wonder why didn’t he did the same thing for Sword Art Online. So far in SAO, there’s no arc that is as depressing as the next AW arc.

• July 1, 2012 at 1:16 pmMike

can’t exactly have rainbow sunshine and ponies all the time, AW has plenty of those as it is anyway.

For me personally, AW was anything but depressing, especially when compared to SAO. Sure, there is a lot of angst/trauma etc., but most came across as too forced(or unexplained)for me to really empathize with. Whereas in SAO the situations and motivations for the characters are clearly laid out within a reasonable time frame, so you’re never left scratching your head wondering what’s going on.

• July 1, 2012 at 1:16 pmBenz

• July 1, 2012 at 1:23 pmMike

eh,

• July 2, 2012 at 1:29 amBenz

• July 2, 2012 at 3:37 amjrj

@benz, Show Spoiler ▼

• July 1, 2012 at 6:58 amP Ko

Oh lord that Niko.

• July 1, 2012 at 9:01 amNaske

Where do you guys go to read the Light Novels?
    are you guys buying them? or downloading?

• July 1, 2012 at 1:18 pmMike

There are English fan-translation projects, and some others read the Japanese original or Chinese translated novels.

• July 1, 2012 at 6:14 pmjrj

Baka-Tsuki is probably the biggest site for English translations, right?

book.sfacg.com and http://www.lightnovel.cn are two great place for Chinese translation, and you can read them online or download them…

as to Japanese original, you can only search the net…

• July 1, 2012 at 1:29 pmSheapy

I hope to fucking god this gets animated before the anime ends.

• July 1, 2012 at 1:32 pmMike

lol, no way, maybe if they do a season 2, but there are nowhere near enough episodes left to get anywhere close to that point of the story.

• July 1, 2012 at 11:13 pmDjalaal

Hmmm, I was thinking… For once, the fact that kids act so mature in anime’s, can make sense in this one. They spend so much time in Accel World, they are mentally much older than they are physically!

• July 2, 2012 at 1:34 pmpoupou

Hey just wondering but the anime didn’t clearly explained this , but what happens with the guy who got infected with this chrome disaster curse? I mean does he goe berserk in real life or just in accel world ?

• July 2, 2012 at 7:25 pmMike