Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate – 01 »« Yuruyuri ♪♪ – 01

Binbougami ga!   01   25 Binbougami ga!   01   26 Binbougami ga!   01   27
Binbougami ga!   01   28 Binbougami ga!   01   29 Binbougami ga!   01   30
Binbougami ga!   01   31 Binbougami ga!   01   32 Binbougami ga!   01   33
Binbougami ga!   01   34 Binbougami ga!   01   35 Binbougami ga!   01   36
Binbougami ga!   01   37 Binbougami ga!   01   38 Binbougami ga!   01   39
Binbougami ga!   01   40 Binbougami ga!   01   41 Binbougami ga!   01   42

「神は神でも貧乏神じゃなくて貧乳神の間違いじゃないの?」 (Kami Ha Kami Demo Binbougami Janakute Hinnyuu Kami No Machigai Janaino?)
“You May Be a God, But Aren’t You More Like the God of Flatness Than the God of Misfortune?”

From long experience with anime, I have learned not to judge a show by its premises (mostly). This one didn’t initially grab me, with its God of Misfortune following around a super lucky high school girl and trying to suck her dry of excess luck like a gold digger marrying a 90-year-old oil magnate “for love”. HOWEVER, it is in the execution that great stories are made, and this one is executing well so far.

It became clear from minute one that this is a character-driven comedy, so let’s start there. Our main human lead, Sakura Ichiko (Hanazawa Kana), could easily have been a boring, mary sue-type character, but in addition to making her “perfect” they also made her shameless, manipulative, quick to violence, and delightfully rash. I looove characters who wholeheartedly enjoy what they’re doing, even if it doesn’t always make them a good person exactly (actually, especially then, when it’s a comedy!), and from the minute Ichiko started laughing at the jealous girls, I was won over. As for Binboda Momiji (Uchiyama Yumi), she is so far acting more as a catalyst for Ichiko than a straight source of comedy herself…until someone talks about her chest, or pisses her off, or she starts cosplaying and bickering with Ichiko. Both of them have solid comedy potentially that is already being used to great effect, and the interactions between them are gold from the start. That’s what good character-driven comedies are built from, and I see it here. A good sign!

But cake ceases to entertain if you eat it every day, and such is the case for comedy as well. What of the more serious, ploty side? Well, it was actually quite good! I took a liking to Suwano (Naka Hiroshi) almost immediately, mostly because it was clear how much he earnestly cared for Ichiko like she was his own daughter, though also because he’s a bit of a pervert. Wonderful hobbies indeed! Anyway, this made it so that when Ichiko’s fortune vampirism struck him down, there were actually the stirrings of something like feelings somewhere deep in my black heart. Plus, the whole thing humanized Ichiko, revealing that she’s actually quite lonely, and that she’s kind-hearted and really loves Suwano. Then she fired him(!!), but for his own good, so he could go off, find a wife, and be happy. A nice little d’aaaww moment amidst a lot of good comedy.

Other than that we had some funny references (Medaka Box, Dragonball Z, Lupin III, others) that didn’t go too overboard, some gloriously painful puns (catastrophy, HAH!), and fanservice out the wazoo, yay! What’s not to like? Let me just say that while I won’t be blogging this series due to real life commitments I need to take care of this summer, it’s one I would gladly write about any other season, and I will definitely be watching it every week. Now that Ichiko and Momiji are apparently living together, I only see it getting better from here!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Shamelessly manipulative yet kind-hearted bitch vs violent, cosplaying God of Misfortune. Hilarious! #Binbougami

Random thoughts:

• I really enjoyed the OP song, which is nice and upbeat and I must have played six or seven times while writing this post, but the ED wins in terms of sheer fanservice. DAT SERVICE!!
  • From Moomba, while he was encoding the OP and ED for me (thanks mooms!): “IT FINALLY HAPPENED! Someone in Japanese media commented on characters whose eyes are perpetually closed! I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS DAY FOR SO LONG!” I told him this means he needs to watch Kannagi, but I still laughed ^^
  • Double Ichiko (busty and loli versions!) urging Suwano to live was very sweet. Glad it worked.
  • Also: Suwano, you beast. You work fast! I’ll miss you, you old pervert.

Full-length images: 02, 10, 20, 39.

ED Sequence

Binbougami ga!   ED   01 Binbougami ga!   ED   02 Binbougami ga!   ED   03

ED: 「恋暴動」 (Koi Boudou) by HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Watch the ED!: Streaming ▼

Binbougami ga!   01   Preview 01 Binbougami ga!   01   Preview 02 Binbougami ga!   01   Preview 03

End Card

Binbougami ga!   01   End Card
July 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm
  • July 5, 2012 at 5:36 pmKalliente

Thanks for giving this show a little attention! It will easily be the funniest thing this season. I hope someone blogs it, but if not maybe this intro will at least make people aware. Its been one of best laugh out loud manga I’ve ever read.

• July 5, 2012 at 5:54 pmKTNO

It’s not the first time that nobody is blogging a true comedy on RC sadly (Hen Zemi? Anyone?)

• July 5, 2012 at 8:16 pmpiglet

Rc blogs tits

• July 5, 2012 at 10:20 pmFantomOmega

You’ll bring catastrophe for saying that little piglet!

Hope you not allergic to cat hair cause you gonna get clawed

• July 5, 2012 at 11:32 pmStilts

Like with Yuruyuri, pure comedies are always harder to blog because it comes down to a single question – was it funny? That’s not to say that they’re not worth blogging and giving exposure to, but there isn’t as much analysis, explanation, or impressions that can be done when you don’t have as many facets to peer into.

Mind you, Binbougami ga! looks like a character-driven comedy, which is easier to write about those than a gag-driven comedy (like Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou), but compared to a plot-heavy show it’s still harder to do.Though mostly, we’re just not covering it because it’s summer, and a bunch of us are busy ^^

• July 6, 2012 at 4:11 amvrr4141

Stilts thanks for taking this anime.
        Binbougami ga will be (one of)the patches for the emptiness in my heart that begin to grow since Haiyore Nyaruko san is over.

• July 6, 2012 at 6:41 amJohn Hayabusa

Sakura Ichiko looks like she is Nyaruko’s long lost sister.

• July 5, 2012 at 5:46 pmKTNO

Had a big smile during those 24 minutes.
    I want more animes like this one, I mean, I’m such in a great mood right now !

(Kinda feel like an old fashioned comedy don’t you think? Very fast and silly but really great)

• July 5, 2012 at 6:43 pmSpinarakk

If you haven’t, Gintama would obviously be the anime which is the closest in terms of comedy style to this show.

I mean this show has the tsukkomi parts, where someone else comments on what someone else said, the screaming of lines, the random nose picking and just the randomness.

• July 5, 2012 at 5:47 pmzen Pudding

Holy mother of licensing!! I shit my pants when I saw Vegeta

• July 7, 2012 at 2:25 pmSacchi

What is his misfortune level!? IT IS OVER 9000!

• July 9, 2012 at 10:30 amRyuuzaki21

i saw goku too

• July 5, 2012 at 6:05 pmchamelean75

I like it so far.

• July 5, 2012 at 6:16 pmOdeus

I hope Suwano comes back. Seems pretty interesting. I’ll continue to watch it.

• July 5, 2012 at 6:42 pmAnimesetsuna

Talking about Suwano, I can’t believe he found his love just in one week. Laugh x30

• July 5, 2012 at 11:33 pmStilts

Suwano is a stone-cold badass. He must have had a ton of good fortune to live with Ichiko for so long…and when he got a little back, he scored a hot waifu. Suwano ftw!

• July 5, 2012 at 6:26 pmAnimesetsuna

When I watched this show, I am like ( ” w ” ). Because this is too funny. And plus Kana’s voiced Ichiko make me feel more relieve. Really look forward to this show and can’t wait for the next episode. Her voice is really similar to Taketatsu Ayana.

• July 6, 2012 at 1:13 amAnimesetsuna

Wasn’t binbou means poverty? Binbougami means Poverty Goddess.

• July 5, 2012 at 6:36 pmcaramel_cod

This looks really well done. Here’s hoping it gets a lot of attention and a long run.

• July 5, 2012 at 6:36 pmDorian

That kinda sucks that this show won’t be blogged by anyone on RC, sounds like something to make sure I keep up with. I’d nominate myself, but you guys have enough people writing for the site currently.

Thanks for at least letting me in on this one. New show for the new season to watch.

• July 5, 2012 at 6:49 pmNorioku

Kuroneko, Ayase and now this!? Marry me please Hanazawa Kana! your voice and your characters always make my day

• July 5, 2012 at 6:55 pmMike F.

Can’t forget, she also voiced Zessica and Sengoku lol

• July 5, 2012 at 7:12 pmNorioku

How could I forget about Sengoku? that opening still plays in the back of my mind

• July 6, 2012 at 12:11 amryanagamis

and don’t ever forget that twister game scene in nisemonogatari…

• July 5, 2012 at 7:19 pmKentaiyoshimi

So far so good. I like how it is not overly relying on fanservice for entertainment value. Despite limited screen-time, I actually quite liked Suwano. He’s got some bad-ass child-raising habits, sending off Ichiko to fight a bear as a kid.

• July 5, 2012 at 11:36 pmStilts

Yeah, the fanservice is good because it’s shameless, but doesn’t really intrude into the story. It’s not like they’re leaning on it, more like they’re just throwing it in because they’re shameless and don’t care what anyone thinks, haha. I approve!

• July 5, 2012 at 7:26 pmZhinvu

One of the shows I was excited to see after reading the manga, and I’m definitely impressed how close to the source material it was. Don’t forget Stilts that little Rurouni Kenshin parody in the book Momiji was reading
    - For some weird reason Sakura and Momiji remind me of L and Light if those two were in a comedy manga.
    - Suwano is quite a guy to teach a young Sakura how to wrestle bears.
    - Show Spoiler ▼

• July 5, 2012 at 7:30 pmZhinvu

And I’m still surprised the singer of that opening song is a guy.

• July 5, 2012 at 11:37 pmStilts

O.O Seriously? My mind. It is blown.

• July 5, 2012 at 11:51 pmjames

eh, I’ve seen natural male voices that sounded female, I’m pretty sure this guy uses voice altering software (remember the OP’s for nichijou? All voiced by one guy).

• July 6, 2012 at 12:22 amSpinarakk

To me, it doesn’t sound altered at all, whereas for Hyadain’s songs it did. (they have this artificial sound to the voice if you know it’s altered)

Even on Piko’s MAL page it says he has the range of both a male and female.

• July 5, 2012 at 7:42 pmAnon

Finally!!An anime with a realistic bitch(personality) as the main character!

• July 5, 2012 at 9:54 pmcaramel_cod

And one who finally gets what’s coming to her as well! haha

• July 6, 2012 at 7:49 amAni_BEE

And she owns it! She knows exactly what she is about. I also go the impression from her this is how she copes with the good fortune she has as well because in the back of her mind she knows it’s skewed.

• July 5, 2012 at 9:09 pmFiShar

Can’t judge this show by it’s cover.

I didn’t expect this show to turn out being AWESOME!
    Thanks to the director who worked on Gintama.

• July 5, 2012 at 10:00 pmSingerOfW

I’ve only read about three chapters of the manga so far, but what I’ve seen is enough to appreciate this show for the sheer range of emotions it evokes. You will cry from laughter in one scene, and then genuinely cry over a well-done drama moment five minutes later. It’s been a while since I last watched a show that could do this to me (I think it was Ouran), and that alone makes this show one of the best shows of the year for me.

• July 5, 2012 at 11:39 pmStilts

+10 points for a good observation, and then another +20 for referencing Ouran. I still need to finish that manga…

• July 5, 2012 at 10:24 pmTrombe

Why what? And my Full-length nurse Momiji? >:

• July 5, 2012 at 11:03 pmEunichi

I was hesitant to pick this but then I saw HanaKana’s name as the main character. I’m sold now! hahaha

• July 5, 2012 at 11:38 pmAnimesetsuna

Welcome to the club. ( ” w ” )

• July 5, 2012 at 11:39 pmStilts

All hail HanaKana! Banzai! \o/

• July 6, 2012 at 1:17 amAnimesetsuna

HanaKana Banzai!!! That’s the reason why I watch this show. ( ” w ” )

• July 6, 2012 at 7:11 amc2710

HanaKana BANZAI!

One of my favourite seiyuus right alongside hisaka youko and chiwa saito (whenever she plays hitagi-esque characters)

Oh and is she wearing anything under that??? >> http://randomc.net/image/Binbougami%20ga!/Binbougami%20ga!%20-%20ED%20-%20Large%2002.jpg

• July 6, 2012 at 7:19 amStilts

Definitely probably not!

^____________________^

• July 6, 2012 at 3:37 pmc2710

Ya dont say

^____________________________^

• July 7, 2012 at 9:53 amLightnDark

Not just HanaKana..but HanaKana using the same voiceset as she the one she used as Mahiru in Kamasama dolls. YESSSSS!

• July 6, 2012 at 1:08 amKen Sanders

“MANGA CHARACTER GIRLS LOOKS VERY SPLENDID IN THE MANGA VERSION

BUT WHEN THEY BECOME AN ANIME, THEY’RE BECOMING MORE BEAUTIFUL AND SEXIER TO LOOK AT.

JUST LOOKING AT THEM MAKES MY HEART WARM AND COMPLETE.”

I PRAY THAT IT WILL RECEIVE A GOOD FEEDBACK. NOW, LET’S WATCH AND ENJOY BINBOUGAMI GA!

• July 6, 2012 at 1:46 amXavier

Still laughing xD

• July 6, 2012 at 4:36 amrockmanjoe

LOVED this episode, hope the rest of the series keeps up this quality.

• July 6, 2012 at 5:04 amc2710

Full lenght #10 aint full length

• July 6, 2012 at 5:46 amAnimesetsuna

You’re really concern about that??? lol

• July 6, 2012 at 6:32 amStilts

Yes, it’s not :P Had some trouble with steam / lighting changes, nothing I could do without far more work than I was willing to put in. Like, I would have had to redraw half of the image, lol

• July 6, 2012 at 7:13 amc2710

LOL… I guess i need the poverty nurse goddess to jab me w some of ichiko’s fortune

• July 6, 2012 at 5:14 amShiki999

1st episode and so much emotions,I really liked it and by the ED sequence my yuri goggles are on,love the couple when they fight and their relation will develop in a bitter sweet way.

• July 6, 2012 at 6:45 amJohn Hayabusa

My yuri goggles are dead set to detect Ichiko/Momiji moments! Ichiko/Momiji FTW!

• July 6, 2012 at 7:21 amStilts

I didn’t really get any yuri vibes from them. Seriously – and this is coming from the guy who blogged Saki and Natsuiro – just because two female characters climb on top of each other during a fight and live together doesn’t mean there’s yuri involved!

…that did not come out right.

• July 6, 2012 at 7:50 amstarss

I always feel it’s a bit of a tricky move when a blogger picks up the first episode of a show only to state that they won’t cover the rest of it. I watched the first episode of Daily Life Of High School Boys until I found myself missing the rest, because I was going by Random Curiosity’s posts! It’s a small peeve I have.

• July 6, 2012 at 12:05 pmStilts

While I can understand that, we feel it’s better to give them a little exposure early on so that you all can better decide if you want to watch, even if we’re not going to be writing about every episode. That’s why I try to always specifically mention that I’m not going to cover it, though. That way there’s no surprise as long as you read the whole post, haha

• July 6, 2012 at 1:10 pmunderMebius

No complaints so far (anime-wise), but I feel like Kana Hanazawa’s gag voice feels shallow.

• July 6, 2012 at 9:51 pmstarss

I watched it.

It could be my unfamiliarity with Japanese beliefs (I think the idea of fortune existing in everything comes from Shinto religion), but the God of Fortune looks really random to me. Why red overalls with a plaid shirt and pigtails? Whatever. She’s hilariously lazy and ADD anyway. Ichiko isn’t striking me as very appealing, even though there’s a heart underneath those massive chesticles.

• July 6, 2012 at 11:42 pmskyhack

Best first episode since Excel’s.

• July 7, 2012 at 12:09 amn30nl16ht

ichika san seriously reminds me of tessa in appearance from FMP, now im getting weird thoughts about that… hmm,? well as for the show, or the first ep to be precise, ive seen funnier.

• July 7, 2012 at 7:59 amNitro

this is a show i only gave a chance to because it WASN’T a harem anime or anything similar, and i’m glad i did.

one thing i really like about this show is that gags that normally happen for no reason for pure comedy actually happens for a reason now! i.e. when Ichika slips on a bar of soap and launches the needle into Momiji’s head, is now not “something that just kind of happened” but something that happened because she’s literally that lucky. same for when Ichika falls into the manhole, because she actually did become unlucky enough for that to happen.

• July 7, 2012 at 5:47 pmNymphetamine2791

Already liking Momiji :D

• July 8, 2012 at 6:50 pmThe_Magus_Killer

Binboda Momiji, my friend Kamijou Touma would like to have a word with you.

Kamijou Touma: “If you think lots of misfortune is good for me, then I’ll destroy that illusion of yours!” *cue Imagine Breaker* XD

Seriously, that OP is an earworm.