Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II – 02 »« Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon – Retrospective, Part 2 – Episodes 07-13 & Final Impressions

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II – 01

OP Sequence

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   01 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   02 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   03
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   04 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   05 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   06
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   07 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   08 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   OP   09

OP: 「ZONE / / ALONE」 by 茅原実里 (Chihara Minori)
Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   01 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   02 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   03
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   04 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   05 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   06
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   07 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   08 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   09
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   10 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   11 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   12
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   13 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   14 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   15
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   16 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   17 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   18
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   19 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   20 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   21
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   22 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   23 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   24
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   25 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   26 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   27
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   28 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   29 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   30
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   31 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   32 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   33
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   34 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   35 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   36
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   37 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   38 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   39
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   40 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   41 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   42
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   43 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   44 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   45
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   46 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   47 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   48

「朱の場の部員達」 (Shu No Ba No Buin Tachi)
“Club Members in Scarlet”

Before we get started, some housecleaning matters. This is the start of Season II, so if you need a refresher on Season I (or an overview of how Horizon’s Earth works in general), check out the retrospective posts I published last week. Part 1 has a lot of basic information + summaries, explanations, and impressions of episodes 01-06, while Part 2 goes over episodes 07-13 and includes a big old final impression of the season at the end. Seiyuu names for all previously introduced characters are in the character list of Part 1, so I won’t be repeating those here.

Now, I’m going to split these posts up into two parts – explanations and impressions. Since Kyoukaisen can be tricky, the explanations are for anything I think might confuse you, or I had to go look up myself. Click on the spoiler tags in the explanation section for the answers to those questions. As for impressions, that’s the usual RandomC blogging fare, done in glorious Stilts-loves-Kyoukaisen-way-too-much detail. Let’s get to it!

Explanations:

What are Testament Arma?

Show ▼

What do Tres España’s Testament Arma do?

Show ▼

What is with Era Fusae’s and Hironaka Takakane’s legs?

Show ▼

What are those red things sticking out from the side of Juana’s, Era’s, and Diego’s heads?

Show ▼

Why don’t Era Fusae or Naomasa get inside their Gods of War?

Show ▼

What is with Michiyuki Byakko’s weirdly thin legs?

Show ▼

Why did Masazumi tell that terrible joke?

Show ▼

What does Juana’s Armament of Deadly Sins do?

Show ▼

Why does Musashi “win” if they can keep Great Britain from stopping them for three minutes?

Show ▼

Why is Great Britain’s Student Council called the “Trump”?

Great Britain, Innocentius, and the Spanish Armada

Show ▼

Why did Asama shoot Malga? And why was it the smart thing to do?

Show ▼

Why is Shakespeare’s first name “Thomas”?

Impressions:

As I anticipated in my episode 13 impressions, this season started off with Tres España’s attack on Musashi, and it was indeed awesome! Seeing all those familiar faces, even though it has only been like a week for me, was quite fun, and it did the same thing the original first episode did, which was give a nice taste of the action and comedy that Kyoukaisen can bring to bear and whet my appetite for what was to come. Let’s get into it.

First, Naomasa. Her rumble with Era Fusae (Asano Masumi) was mostly interesting for what said opponent did. Era’s Michiyuki Byakko is a beast, both in how it acted and the sheer power it displayed. On par with divine weapons like Futayo’s Tonbokiri, its ability is to always find an opening in its opponent’s guard – or as I like to think of it, to ignore its opponent’s DEF stat :D I winced when Michiyuki Byakko destroyed Jizuri Suzaku’s leg, but despite Era’s taunting (her “Suzaku no nisemomo”), it turned out that Naomasa wasn’t really trying to win – she was just stalling for time at the behest of Neshinbara, so they could RAM TRES ESPAÑA’s SHIP WITH ONE OF THEIR OWN! O.O Oh Neshinbara, you’re so awesome, but more on that later.

Enter Masazumi! Weirdly enough, one of the things I love about Kyoukaisen is how they frequently use negotiation and debate to solve problems when most shows would go straight to violence. Well, that’s not what happened today! After Masazumi’s terrible joke (see explanation section for why she did this), it became clear what their real plan was…park on top of the Tres España ship and nuke the fuck out of it. Swiftly approved!

Not that Juana (Tanaka Rie) was going to let that happen. From the second she activated her Akidía Katárripsi (sin: Sloth, see explanation section for details), I knew it wouldn’t work on Toori. I mean, there can’t be anything about Toori’s body that he’s disgusted with, not with how often he’s naked! Though come to think of it, he also just wasn’t on the ship when Juana’s attack struck, so maybe he just dodged it?

Either way, what I was surprised about was that Horizon was so badly affected. That’s an admission of failure on my part though, because it’s really quite obvious. The weapon focuses on the disgust one has with one’s self, and Horizon, as an Automated Doll who has been stripped of all her emotions and probably wishes she was still human, has plenty she probably isn’t fond of about her current situation. But back to Toori, I loooooved his solution to their Juana problem. She got the “full Toori”, HAH! But even more priceless was seeing Tenzou cry about how the first mysterious princess that’s fallen into his arms was Toori. Priceless!

Show Full Impressions ▼

Though, the question is: will it work against the adorable Thomas Shakespeare (Saitou Momoko)? I don’t know, but I can’t wait to find out! Writer vs writer, let’s do it!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Musashi fights off Tres España…and then runs right into a battle with Great Britain! Action right from the start. Loving it. #Kyoukaisen

Random thoughts:

• No, I did not forget the other super-hilarious part of this episode. Horizon’s punishment for Toori because he let himself get felt up by another woman was as funny as it was cringe-inducing. The Armament in her soul, Ólos Phthonos, is the one based on jealousy, so it was fun seeing her show one of the few emotions she has right now. Plus, her deadpanned “a-ano dorobo neko” (lit. “that thieving cat”, which translates into something like “that dirty whore”) was so HNNNNNG!! *Stilts bursts a blood vessel*
  • Speaking of Horizon, I’m glad to see she got a new outfit. Musashi Ariadust Academy’s uniform has never looked better, nyahaha! \o/
  • Futayo’s Tonbokiri (that’s Slicing Dragonfly…I’ve decided I like the Japanese name better) is really strong. A weapon with an any-magic dispell and a one-hit KO attack? Overpowered. If all Divine Weapons are like that, the hierarchy is probably Testament Arma –> Divine Weapons –> Armaments of Deadly Sins…though of course, the best solution is still to get as many of all of the above as possible :D
  • I loved Innocentius’ sigh after Masazumi’s terrible joke. You just keep losing to that old man, don’t you Seijun? :3
  • It’s okay Neito and Masazumi, your chests are fine the way they are ~_^
  • So Juana’s overdrive didn’t affect Toori (I think, unless he just dodged it). I wonder if it would have affected Kimi-nee? We need an answer to this, pronto!
  • I forgot to mention, but it was impressive that Tres España managed to stop Lype Katarripsi’s attack, even if it took two Testament Arma, a Divine Weapon-level God of War, and Gin almost getting toasted to do it. They proved they’re antagonists that won’t be pushed around. Nice.
  • Speaking of Gin, you just know by the looks she exchanged with Futayo (and what we saw in the OP) that those two are going to be at each other’s throats the whole season. Yay, can’t wait!
  • Geez, what is with Great Britain always being a floating island in the anime I cover?
  • Robert Dudley, William Cecil…WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAACE?
  • Fun fact: Asama and Kimi-nee’s breasts make different poyon sounds. Maybe Horizon’s too, though it’s pretty similar to Kimi-nee’s. N-Not that I was listening or anything! *tsun tsun*
  • Fun fact #2: I write way too much. “Mountains of Text,” Neshinbara? I CHALLENGE YOU TO A WORD DUEL!!

Full-length images: 20.

ED Sequence

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   01 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   02 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   03
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   04 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   05 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   ED   06

ED: 「悲しみは誰の願いでもない」 (Kanashimi wa Dare no Negai Demonai) by アイラ結城 (Aira Yuki)

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II   01   Preview 01
July 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm
  • July 8, 2012 at 9:25 pmpiglet

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• July 8, 2012 at 9:49 pmStilts

Good to know. By the way, you do know that the only nipples in this episode are Toori’s, right?

Edit: actually, they censored those too. The More You Know~

• July 8, 2012 at 11:48 pmpiglet

Hmmmm… I sense aminosity

• July 9, 2012 at 3:36 amricz

I’m a fan of kyoukai and I’m shock to see this post/comment…. nipple? u sure youre watching kyoukai? or maybe it’s like what stilts said…u leik toori’s nipple….and what a fetish

• July 9, 2012 at 7:29 amkurochan

At least say boobies, then we might actually believe that you actually watch the show… unless you really mean Toori’s nipple that it…

• July 8, 2012 at 9:33 pmFencedude

Goddamn Stilts. Just goddamn. I thought I wrote too much, but I must bow before a true master.

I have nothing to add. You literally covered EVERYTHING.

• July 8, 2012 at 9:50 pmStilts

Yeah, the overachieving didn’t stop with the retrospective. If anything, it may have gotten worse :X

*is totally crazy, nyahaha~ \o/*

• July 9, 2012 at 8:10 am†Croos†

I-I won’t still admit Stilts as my master in Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.
      You haven’t beaten US yet.
      覚えているよ………!o(>< )o

• July 9, 2012 at 12:44 pmStilts

Just admit it, Croos! I cannot be beaten!

*cackles like an evil overlord* *struck down by a strapping young lad with a magical sword whose hometown Stilts once destroyed*

Curses!!

• July 9, 2012 at 9:30 amJohn Hayabusa

Looks like I am going to watch this along with its first season. I better get started.

• July 9, 2012 at 10:17 am†Croos†

If you don’t understand some terms in the first season go to Stilt’s Horizon post(Part I and Part II) or from Sensei. They were really helpful when I re-watch the series.

• July 8, 2012 at 9:34 pmxRichard

I love you Stils, possibly homo.

• July 8, 2012 at 10:06 pmStilts

I know Rich. We’ve been over this before. Don’t make this awkward.

• July 9, 2012 at 6:27 amSeishun Otoko

Go away, Stilts’ mine!

• July 8, 2012 at 9:39 pmKentaiyoshimi

This is closer to a wiki article than anything, not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’m going to really need this to enjoy the show beyond a superficial level.

• July 8, 2012 at 11:14 pmStilts

I’ll keep doing my best! And yeah, I used to edit Wikipedia a lot, so I guess it became something of a habit :X

• July 8, 2012 at 9:45 pmaimless

lol good thing you added tags or i wouldn’t no where to start if i lost my spot in the summary XD

• July 8, 2012 at 9:52 pmfragb85

Stilts don’t just smash that Wall of Text on our faces. I’m trying to enjoy the boobies and the great action scenes!

• July 8, 2012 at 11:16 pmStilts

Between Neshinbara’s Mountains of Text and my Walls of Text, none shall survive, bwahaha!

Now we just need to get Shakespeare-tan to help too…

• July 8, 2012 at 9:55 pmstarss

God dammit, Writers! I try to get into a show but the sheer volume of guide books and articles I need to read in order to understand it all just alienates me!

• July 8, 2012 at 10:04 pmXan

Alas, no cap of Asama’s close-up…

In all seriousness though, it was nice to see her get a fair amount of attention here, she made a good impression in the first episode, but only seemed to have occasional (but appreciated) stand-out moments in season one.

And beyond that, lots of characters got some enjoyable focus, Azuma was adorable as usual, Malga had some nice lines, Neshinbara is awesome, and obviously Toori, Masazumi, Horizon, etc. are always incredible.

Then the great fights, interesting new characters, lots of hilarious bits… In other words, so glad to have this series back!

• July 8, 2012 at 11:08 pmStilts

I think we’re going to get some more of Asama next episode for sure, but hopefully that’s not the end of it. She’s second tier on my list right now, but I feel like once she gets some more exposure (not that way, you perverts! …okay, maybe that way too) I’ll like her even more. She has such a fun character, she just needs more time to shine!

• July 8, 2012 at 10:06 pmewok40k

ss 07-08 “sex ed 101 FAIL”… little did I suspect that few minutes later:
    ss 31 “Lets have sex, NOW!” I cried from laughter on this scene…

• July 8, 2012 at 11:04 pmStilts

Agreed! I think I’ve watched those scenes like 10 times so far XD

• July 9, 2012 at 8:48 am†Croos†

Stilts no Ecchi

• July 9, 2012 at 12:40 amc2710

so agree with you on that

• July 8, 2012 at 10:09 pmG27

Mmm…the most badass OP of the season…

• July 9, 2012 at 6:22 amSeishun Otoko

He speaks the TRUTH and did I mention how lovely Minorin looks in the PV? =3

• July 8, 2012 at 10:10 pmFiShar

what is s3x?
    Azuma you’re gonna be an awesome king one day!

Tenzou is hilarious. You’re gonna get your hot partner soon.

• July 8, 2012 at 10:11 pmFiShar

We all know, STILTS > NENSHINBARA.
    Fact!

• July 8, 2012 at 11:05 pmStilts

*blushes*

• July 8, 2012 at 10:12 pmMetaDrow

Love Stilts’s blogs, always fun to read for example… “Awesome! In a show full of amazing personalities, including tsundere half-werewolves, busty nee-sans, jealous robots, and a silly nudist protagonist” or “Fun fact: Asama and Kimi-nee’s breasts make different poyon sounds. Maybe Horizon’s too, though it’s pretty similar to Kimi-nee’s poyon. N-Not that I was listening for it anything! *tsun tsun*” XD

• July 8, 2012 at 10:15 pmkaoffeine

Just when I thought I nearly finished reading the whole review– a spoiler tag appeared and revealed another wall of text. \o/

Thanks for all the explanation, Stilts, I watched this eps for like– 4 times in a row and still missed some (or most– idk) of the details that you wrote here.

And Horizon. She’s way too adorable here. I used to dislike her during the 1st season (because she’s the only useless character among all badass characters, not to mention her high spec/hidden power and her personality– or should I say, too close to being a mary sue?), but this eps completely changed my opinion about her. I really love the part where she did the punchline(?) at Seijun’s joke. lol

• July 8, 2012 at 11:07 pmStilts

Yeah, she’s more and more coming into her own. She’s being more Horizon Ariadust and less P-01s, and her human character is a lot more interesting (and pleasantly snarky) than the “logical” robot ever was. Yay for more jealous Horizon-tan!

• July 8, 2012 at 11:54 pmBenz

• July 8, 2012 at 11:56 pmWatt

Probably the best premier I’ve watched this season. What I love about this show (besides all these eccentric characters) is that even though some people have no idea what’s going on, people still continue watching it (without those posts of yours I’d still be one of those people; hell, I probably still am lol).

• July 8, 2012 at 11:56 pmInvisibleZombie

Thanks for explaining a lot of those details. Honestly I find myself enjoying this series even when I have no idea whats going on, looking forward to more and I was cracking up this whole episode because Toori was naked the whole time. xD

• July 9, 2012 at 12:53 pmStilts

Yeah, I know what you mean. That’s pretty much how I was for most of the first season (for my first watch-through). That is, until Toori and Horizon’s debate in episode 12. After that, I had to figure out what exactly was going on.

You know, that episode may have broken me in some way…

• July 9, 2012 at 12:19 amPtolemaios00

So…Toori starts off the new season nude…seems legit.

• July 9, 2012 at 12:22 amBeedle

I shivered during that scene where Kiyonari was calmly walking through Cecil’s gravity manipulation. Awesome first ep promising more things to come!

Great job breaking down the ep, Stilts! I love your explanations, as I admit there were a few parts that I missed (like Tres Espana’s ghosts- I didn’t notice their legs!) :D

• July 9, 2012 at 12:34 amBeedle

Oh, about Asama’s shooting, here’s my take on it:

Asama can’t consciously directly attack living things with the intent to kill/hurt/maim. She can, however, ‘kill’ them indirectly (downing the ship they’re riding or those crates the Tres Espana mooks were atop).

As for Makiko-sensei’s battle, maybe that had something to do with how everyone wasn’t actually going all-out? Or, maybe to actually ‘kill’ targets, she has to make an offering first.

• July 9, 2012 at 7:09 amsarcastic_weasel

IIRC, the deal with Makiko-sensei was that the Shrine doesn’t think Asama can hit her, and even if she did (by some fluke), it wouldn’t be lethal. So Asama got approval so shoot her. (And look– she didn’t even hit her. Makiko-sensei is scary.)

• July 9, 2012 at 7:45 amZnail

The case with the ship is pretty simple, she only destroyed a ship and didn’t kill anyone. There was only one guy on the ship as it was a suicide mission and we see an escape pod ejecting from it after it got shot.

• July 9, 2012 at 1:27 pmStilts

Thank you all! I have updated my post accordingly. Addin’ to that wall ‘o text, oh yeah!

• July 9, 2012 at 12:26 amDynellen

“Spanish armada” it is the real deal, we’ll be seeing the naval battle of gravelines among others this season. Whole history recreation just happens to be delayed pretty badly for reasons we shall see later but let’s just say certain blonde is related to the matter at hand.

“Why did Malga start talking to Asama about making a doujinshi in the middle of a battle?” She just needed to talk about something random to send out her hidden message, she highlighted certain words (first word of every sentence or something like that) in the message window. Of course if she can convince Tomo to help her make doujin for shooting her she’d be in even better place financially. According to the official 4koma she makes.. tentacle doujins, according to Vol 3 of the LN she has fans and especially the doujin featuring Tomo was a big hit.

“I knew it wouldn’t work on Toori. I mean, there can’t be anything about Toori’s body that he’s disgusted with, not with how often he’s naked! ” Juana’s attack only hit the ship that had crashed into San Lorenzo, Toori wasn’t there, seeing as he appeared behind Juana only seconds later.

• July 9, 2012 at 12:56 pmStilts

Thank you! Editing my post accordingly.

And on Toori, yeah, I realized that was probably the reason after I had already written the whole post, so I just went back in and jammed that thought in there. I still suspect it wouldn’t have affected Toori, but who knows…he might not be quite as impossible as I give him credit for.

• July 10, 2012 at 12:17 amDynellen

I have a feeling everyone has something they don’t like about their body. Toori is fabulous and doesn’t mind being seen naked but I think if hit by that attack at least his shoulder with the scar from Horizon’s accident would be affected.

Well everyone except Kimi, she probably could ignore the whole thing.

• July 9, 2012 at 12:38 amc2710

The opening just dives straight into business. It pretty much left me speechless and gaping for air.

Seriously Toori, you really DO know how to make a statement and Horizon, you’re just so cute with your new found emotions

I must say, this start of this season has been exciting thus far…

• July 9, 2012 at 2:26 amBoo

I thought Lype Katarripsi’s sin was sloth. If Akidia Katarripsi is sloth then what is Lype Katarripsi’s sin? might just be a mistake on my part though.

• July 9, 2012 at 2:44 amG27

lype katarripsi = sadness

• July 9, 2012 at 2:56 amZhinvu

Instead of dwelling much on that whole “sex” misunderstanding, as well as being glad that Horizon season 2 is here, I’d rather thank you Stilts for this kind of post. A lot of the Q&A you put I never would have noticed, like those characters without legs and the 3 minute conquest explanation. Senjou no Horizon is a unique series with fighting styles I don’t normally see (the spear that cuts you by just having your image reflect on its blade comes to mind) is normally that kind of series I avoid for being too deep, but the mecha and character designs, and battles made me watch season 1 and anticipate its return. Yeah I’ve gotta be one of those kinds that want to understand what I’m watching, so you’ll never believe the migraine I got just trying to understand Toori and Horizon’s debate back then. I only got to read your retrospective now so I’m thankful you provided that explanation. I also visited that tumblr site with all the insights but I think I only got how Toori turned things around now through yours. I was thinking along the lines that Toori was trying to convince an automated doll to change its mind. I didn’t think of it that way that there’s 2 personas inside Horizon and that Toori’s goal was to bring out her Ariadust side (at least that’s the impression I got). Long story short, I’ll be following season 2 and try to understand things but I’ll be depending on your posts for stuff I didn’t get. And PS http://randomc.net/image/Kyoukai%20Senjou%20no%20Horizon/Kyoukai%20Senjou%20no%20Horizon%20II%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2033.jpg – Horizon can be so scary.

• July 9, 2012 at 1:32 pmStilts

I’m glad that helped! And I don’t blame you for not getting that the first time through. I sensed where the flow of the debate changed the first time I saw it, and I still enjoyed it for that alone (and for earnest Horizon, HNNNG), but it took me two days of wracking my brain to wrap my mind around what was happening there. And even then, it only “clicked” when I was editing the post the day i released it, somewhere around 4 o’clock in the morning, lol! I’m glad I put all that effort in, though…it’s fun thinking really hard and managing to figure out such a tricky problem.

• July 9, 2012 at 2:59 amDa5id

WHY DOES THE ROBOT HAVE BOOBS.

• July 9, 2012 at 5:13 amThe Moondoggie

A fetish I guess…

For further reference of boobs on bots check out the LN or the MMO, Cosmic Break.

• July 9, 2012 at 3:30 amricz

1st time that I thought of naruze as a cutie <3

• July 9, 2012 at 4:08 amSalbazier

Okay, first of all, thank you Stilts for the lengthy review and throughout explanation.

Second, an excellent episode. Right into the action and full of usual Kyoukaisen cool action and funny jokes. Two things I regret however, 1) I should have rewatch the whole first season before. I just cannot wait to watch the first episode 2) should have not spoiled myself by reading this review first X-X. Can’t help with it either. It still fun but the whole sex thing will be funnier if I don’t expect it.

Actually, make it three: now I feel the whole episode finish too fast and want too watch the next one ASAP T-T. I wonder if I should do like last season and wait until it finishes airing then marathon it…

Third, a Question if you don’t mind: What is thoese white-dark grey pair of things that everyone wear on their shoulders (or in the case of the sumo wrestler, waist)?

• July 9, 2012 at 1:34 pmStilts

I read something on that (no idea where, otherwise I would find the source), but the long and short of it is – no one knows. Literally, I don’t think Kawakami (the original author) has ever said specifically what they are. I do know that Kimi’s maus Uzume emerged from one of those things before her battle with Futayo in Season 1 (Episode 9), but that’s the only time we’ve seen them do anything functional. The rest of the time they’re just there.

*shrugs* s’all I’ve got!

• July 9, 2012 at 7:28 pmSalbazier

Okay, thanks anyway.

• July 10, 2012 at 9:43 amStilts

Late breaking development! My sources (i.e. light novel readers, by way of Moomba) tell me that those things are for gravity control. They’re apparently how Gin makes those huge guns float, among other things. I’m not entirely sure what everyone else uses them for, other than probably keeping the female characters from having terrible back pain.

• July 9, 2012 at 4:42 amMutare

YEAH HORIZON IS BACK. Funny start for the season. This is one of the few shows where I can love all the characters. Knew Stilts would throw a wall of text which I have read and I’m sure we can all expect many more walls of text regarding Horizon throughout the season. Stilts you are outdoing yourself with every post. Thank you for your hard work, may you continue to do so.

• July 9, 2012 at 1:36 pmStilts

Domo, domo *bows*

And yes, look forward to many more walls ‘o text to come. It’s not like I love spending eight hours on a post, so if there’s no need then I’ll give you guys a blessedly short post, but as long as there are things that need explaining, I intend to do it! So yeah, expect a lot more of em, heh

• July 9, 2012 at 4:51 amMoomba

Shakespeare <3

I’m not sure whether to envy Neshinbara or feel sorry for him…

• July 9, 2012 at 6:19 amSeishun Otoko

Don’t overwork yourself Stilts, carpal tunnel can be really scary. That doesn’t make Neshinbara any less badass though ;)
    Season 2 off to a great start, perfect blend of glorious action and timely comedy, with a sprinkle of poyon poyon goodness. Speaking of that, your attention to details never ceased to amaze me Stilts >:3

• July 9, 2012 at 1:38 pmStilts

HAH, carpal tunnel. Nice ^^ I’m still waiting for a good picture of Neshinbara doing something awesome (without credits over his face, damn ED!) so I can make a new gravatar. Sorry Andy, you are truly epic, but Horizon-tan is the one who owns my heart…

• July 9, 2012 at 7:07 amDuqs

This article, and the two others that came before this, really made my viewing experience more complete. Like in Fate/Zero, there are things that cannot be translated/included in the anime because of contraints in time or the medium used. So now, I do believe that after watching the show, I will have to refer to your article in case I missed out or didnt understand something :)))))

• July 9, 2012 at 8:39 amkuroishinigami

Fukuyama-sama is amazing as usual as Toori. His acting definitely shines the most in this episode(Ono-D is second) XD

• July 9, 2012 at 9:54 amFreddeh

Stilts you’re crazy!

That’s why I love you though!

• July 9, 2012 at 1:41 pmStilts

Shhh Freddeh, we don’t want them to know. Not yet.

• July 9, 2012 at 10:32 am†Croos†

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A WORD DUEL!!

I bet Neshinbara would reply like this, Stilts.

• July 9, 2012 at 10:42 am†Croos†

D:
      Damn. You used word(I thought it was World).
      */me accepts defeat.

O-Only this one that is.

• July 9, 2012 at 10:39 amCarcharoth

I was guessing that the whole doujin discussion was code for “shoot me”. As she’s talking the lines appear with the first kanji highlighted in red on the archer’s (forget her name) pop up panel (forget what they are called too).

• July 9, 2012 at 2:39 pmboingman

Yeah, “shoot me” sounds about right. Maybe someone with the necessary japanese skills can confirm that that was exactly what those red kanji were saying.
      There is so much happening, not only what the characters are saying, but all those offerings & spells, a real nightmare for every typesetter. :D

Thanks Stilts for your wiki-like explanation. Guess that for this 2nd season I won’t have to rely that much on other sites as much as for the first one, since you’re already doing a stellar job.
      As others already said, don’t overwork yourself.

• July 9, 2012 at 7:57 pmStilts

No problemo : ) And don’t worry, I shant burn myself out. The work I knew I would put into Horizon-tan is a large part of the reason why I only took two shows this season, nyahaha! Plus there’s the whole “I’m crazy” thing. That helps too.

• July 9, 2012 at 11:42 amYumekichi11

NICE JOB! Reply to my profile on MAL with a response. I WANT A TALK WITH YOU!

• July 9, 2012 at 1:41 pmStilts

Ahhhh yelling! I didn’t know there were messages on MAL o.O If you want to get a hold of my, pop on irc and leave me a message on Mizore, or better yet shoot me an email at StiltsOutLoud@gmail.com. I’ll get it a lot faster there : )

• July 9, 2012 at 7:13 pmWhee

love the coverage!

• July 9, 2012 at 8:52 pmDorian

Geezus Stilts. You made me watch the whole episode again for pointing out things I missed. I think I was paying too much attention to the nipp-ahem, I mean breasts! Definitely the breasts! ^_^; Thank you Aoi.

I’m beginning to wonder at how much information you could pull up on Owari if it got animated and how it would apply to this show and vice versa. We’d all probably drown in a Sea of Text from you if so. It would be so informative that we’d all drown or become seatexters.

Seriously Stilts, keep up the work. Must watch the “sex scenes” all over again.

• July 9, 2012 at 10:40 pmStilts

You know, in any other show the phrase “must watch the sex scenes all over again” would mean something completely different. I just wanted to point that out because it made me laugh XD

• July 9, 2012 at 10:36 pmAgron

Ok don’t get me wrong i love tits. I mean i REALLY LOVE TITS. And the bigger the better. But seriously the breasts in this anime come off as looking freakishly unnatural. But i still love the tits though.

• July 10, 2012 at 12:27 amDynellen

Here’s a beautiful picture from the opening, it’s only seen in a split second pan over it in the actual video.

• July 10, 2012 at 8:35 amFiShar

Sweet, Horizon battle outfit?
      Sure didn’t notice that one. Thanks for the pic.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:40 aminfo600

all that seriousness in the picture….ruined by a single dove…

• July 10, 2012 at 2:16 pmTakuma

he loves to strip. it wouldnt be much impact in his first night with horizon later

• July 10, 2012 at 6:15 pmJohn Hayabusa

OK, thanks.

• July 10, 2012 at 6:20 pmJohn Hayabusa

Sorry my bad. I was replying to †Croos†.

Anyway, this season looks really promising.

• July 11, 2012 at 4:37 amThe Moondoggie

I finally got to see the episode and LOL. The scene with the prince and “his family” is the highlight of this episode for me XD.

• July 11, 2012 at 7:23 pmLC1984

As for how Toori dodged the attack, yes as mentioned he was already behind her at that time, because Toori boarded the other ship at 8:56, there you see naked legs running in the foreground of the scene.

• July 11, 2012 at 7:50 pmgandalf8

Good catch there!

• July 11, 2012 at 11:12 pmparallelzero

• July 12, 2012 at 7:16 pmChris Marshall

I’m so thankful for someone out there to see how truly wonderful this show really is. Hell, your explanations are easier for me to understand that most resource websites. I mean damn, people need to realize this show is really unique and original and it must have took forever for the author to write up this show with so many different and unique characters.

• July 14, 2012 at 6:29 amLightnDark

I’m a little (or very) late here, but cheers Stilts for the coverage on Horizon, I find the explanation portion extremely helpful by answering all the ??? that I’ve had while watching the episode. Keep that up, and the good work of course!

Actually, your impressions could use less “summarization” to be honest (in my personal opinion of course)..There isn’t a real need to mention every single thing happening? Especially since this IS Horizon and action is happening all the time. Although I have to give ya huge props for doing just that as well.

But really, good job on the post – love the explanation section! Impressions could be much shorter but that’s just me.

PS: I think Horizon and Kimi-nee breasts sound the same, at least to me. ;)

• July 15, 2012 at 6:45 amDuqs

Come to think of it, how come Tomo’s clothes are now the school uniform whenin the last episode of season 1 she was wearing abody suit? @_@

• July 15, 2012 at 7:49 amherald_of_meridian

Well, S2 Episode 1 is on the 4th of May, several days after “the fateful reunion” on S1 Episode 13 (April 20).