Hyouka – 14, 15, 16 »« Hyouka – 12

Hyouka – 13

OP2 Sequence

Hyouka   OP2   01 Hyouka   OP2   02 Hyouka   OP2   03
Hyouka   OP2   04 Hyouka   OP2   05 Hyouka   OP2   06
Hyouka   OP2   07 Hyouka   OP2   08 Hyouka   OP2   09

OP2: 「未完成ストライド」 (Mikansei Sutoraido) by こだまさおり (Kodama Saori)
Watch the 2nd OP!: Streaming ▼

Hyouka   13   01 Hyouka   13   02 Hyouka   13   03
Hyouka   13   04 Hyouka   13   05 Hyouka   13   06
Hyouka   13   07 Hyouka   13   08 Hyouka   13   09
Hyouka   13   10 Hyouka   13   11 Hyouka   13   12
Hyouka   13   13 Hyouka   13   14 Hyouka   13   15
Hyouka   13   16 Hyouka   13   17 Hyouka   13   18
Hyouka   13   19 Hyouka   13   20 Hyouka   13   21
Hyouka   13   22 Hyouka   13   23 Hyouka   13   24
Hyouka   13   25 Hyouka   13   26 Hyouka   13   27
Hyouka   13   28 Hyouka   13   29 Hyouka   13   30
Hyouka   13   31 Hyouka   13   32 Hyouka   13   33

「夕べには骸に」 (Yuubeniwa Okuroni)
“Dead at Dusk”

In all honesty, I wouldn’t really mind a few more episodes of this mindless but terribly interesting look at the inner-workings of our main cast. Not only is it cool to get a glimpse of everyone when they’re doing their own thing but after getting the chance to listen to someone besides Houtaro talk to himself, I wouldn’t mind if Kyoto Animation did things like this more often.

The thing is, I’m still surprised just how well the writers seem to be weaving together an interesting story with a mystery hiding in-between its seams. Because at first glance, this episode just seems like another character-centric one. Each person seems to be doing their own thing with some type of problem brewing around them. Chitanda and her bad luck with advertising the Classics Club, Satoshi and his competitive “friend” that just won’t leave him alone, and Mayaka trying to fight against that smug looking upperclassman. With the except of Houtaro, it feels like everyone is slowly traversing a path that will lead to some sort of self-realization. But if you look a bit closer and give things a little more attention, I bet you’ll be able to see the strands of a few different mysteries starting to unravel. While the most obvious would be trying to figure out why things throughout the school are going missing and why Chitanda seems to be holding herself back from pushing Houtaro to solve it, I’m actually more interested in something that’s a little less technical.

For me, I’m dying to watch Mayaka settle this dispute of hers with this smug senpai of hers. Not only did Mayaka try to reason with herself before starting the fight but when things started going I LOVED how she just wouldn’t give up. For some strange reason, watching her take the bait and then turn things around with that fierce attitude of hers really got me pumped up.

For another episode that doesn’t have an explicit mystery, I think this is one of the most enjoyable arcs we’ve had thus far. With everyone showing a bit of their true colors, especially pervert Houtaro, I can’t wait for what the next episode has in store. Oh, and did any of you notice the Manga Society’s President run out and post that sign right before Mayaka and her Senpai started fighting? Brilliant!

Hyouka   13   Preview 01 Hyouka   13   Preview 02 Hyouka   13   Preview 03
July 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm
  • July 22, 2012 at 11:01 pmCybersteel

Yatta!

• July 22, 2012 at 11:13 pmFT5Havok

I loved the scene with Houtaro and Chitanda! where they were both embarassed.. xD

• July 23, 2012 at 8:07 amKyzel

Chitandael is ridiculously moe. Shame Houtarou didn’t manage to keep (copy) the treasure he found. The maid outfit reminds me of Mio a bit.

• July 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm0927123

Man these past 2 episodes, Chii-chan is ridiculously MOE. Her being distracted and the cosplays… hnggggg…

• July 22, 2012 at 11:16 pmskyhack

I also liked the “random girl” at the end, when Eru is walking down the hall, trying to keep things together. She’s at the left of the frame in 3 shots looking down the hall toward Eru, first smiling, then giving a “boo” face, then talking secretly. She’s not quite in focus,, as she’s very close in. Attention to detail. KyoAni is excellent at that.

• July 22, 2012 at 11:19 pmskyhack

Looks like my attention to detail wasn’t so hot, though, as that scene was at the end of episode 12!

• July 22, 2012 at 11:23 pmTaiakun

I wonder if the missing go pieces and the fortune teller’s missing tarot card is related to the missing apple juice and the Hyouka club receiving 200 copies instead of 30. Sounds like someone is really sabotaging other clubs as I predicted previously.

• July 22, 2012 at 11:29 pmShouhei

Maybe it’s just me, but the senpai who Mayaka argued with looks a bit like Chitanda, except more smug, arrogant and evil-looking. If Chitanda (the angel) had an evil devil twin, it would be her.

• July 22, 2012 at 11:34 pmCybersteel

• July 22, 2012 at 11:31 pmamagee

Only Kyoto Animation could pull of such a high level of quality with their cosplaying characters. It dumbfounds me how they can do such an amazing job with a TV budget.

• July 22, 2012 at 11:55 pmewok40k

I wonder whats behind the missing things? They seem to have be a sort of challenge “Catch me if you can!” How do you otherwise explain attached notes?

• July 23, 2012 at 12:38 amewok40k

• July 23, 2012 at 1:09 amD-LaN

New arc words…… I bet tht it must means something despite the innocent sounding name!!!

• July 23, 2012 at 1:22 amCiel

Not to bother but, shouldn’t it be “With the exception* of Houtaro”?

• July 23, 2012 at 1:46 amRedjuice Fan

i like the thing that there is a trading game in disguise. u know, the straw millionaire folk tale.

• July 23, 2012 at 1:51 amBreedo

i missed my starbaby ending, it’s almost like the first ED was houtaro’s dream and this new ending is like Satoshi’s with the sherlock theme. glad to see Irusu in the opening. hopefully she bumps into houtaro again before festival ends.

• July 23, 2012 at 2:36 amRollingBoulder

You know, I’m pretty sure the “Masterpiece” discussion, that you didn’t really touch on, could have sparked some really interesting discussion here in the comments, if this post wasn’t a week late. You didn’t even mention the new OP, just like you skipped the new ED last time. I appreciate your work, but to be honest, I’m not enjoying myself, reading these short reviews.

What did you guys think of the awkward ChitandaxOreki moment at the end?

• July 23, 2012 at 11:11 amBreedo

priceless….instead of asking what he might have thought of them…she seemed awfully embarassed…hoho i wonder if it’s just the costumes or that it’s him who migth have seen it

• July 23, 2012 at 5:35 amIsabel

New OP was good. I thought I heard a square wave in the first seconds of the song and got all giddy, but I later realized it was probably just a synthesizer. It’s still a good song though, adding it under the category of “speaker test” songs. I enjoyed how the imagery in the OP focused on Houtaro’s character: no one sees him but the Classics (Literature) Club, and only Chitanda is able to bring him out of the “grey” lifestyle into a “rosier” one.

I’m rather enjoying this school festival arc. This arc has been good development for Mayaka and a little for Satoshi. I’m a little sad that we’re returning to mystery in episode 15.

Not usually a fan of shipping, but ChitandaxOreki moment at the end was cute. :)

• July 23, 2012 at 7:23 amJason

epsiode 14 already out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so u dont have to wait any longer

• July 23, 2012 at 10:14 amKinny Riddle

LOL at Houtarou being caught redhanded by Chitanda for taking a peek at her cosplay album.

With Hikasa Youka this episode cameoing as the MC of the Quiz Show, this completes the K-ON cameo set featuring HTT seiyuus appearing in this show.

Another cameo is Hayami Saori as Juumonji Kaho, Chitanda’s fortune-telling friend whose missing Tarot card, together with the missing Go stones, will set events moving. Despite her name, the identity of this thief “Juumonji” has nothing to do with her, and is purely coincidental.

Ibara’s Manga Club sempai Kawachi obviously knows about the self-made manga Ibara mentioned, judging from her reaction.

Kudos to the Manga Club president for her quick thinking in reinterpreting what could have been an embarrassing argument by branding it as a face-saving “philosophical debate”.

Watch this space concerning Ibara’s side-plot with the Manga Club, as it is not totally unrelated to what will happen.

• July 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm0927123

Loved that moment between Oreki and Chitanda!! I dunno but it seems that Chii-chan kinda liked it that Oreki has seen the pictures.

Also Chii-chan cosplay gave me a heart attack… I loved her victorian cosplay that I had to replay it like 3 times to see it again.

• August 1, 2012 at 5:01 amSaturo

Penguin-costume ftw.

• July 23, 2012 at 11:04 amkumakaori

Oh! argh. uhh. not sure how I should comment already knowing how next episode has developed @A@!!!. Moar item Trade Quest XD!. whee~~~. Oreki discovering Chitanda’s photos was pretty epic X3. Chitanda discovering Oreki discovered her photos, equally epic X3.

• July 23, 2012 at 3:55 pmSaturo

I wonder if this is really a somewhat romance-orientated anime. So far we didn’t see any proof of that. It’s nevertheless an absolutely great anime. I love it because the main male protagonist is no soulless standard-boy but a clever and calm detective-youngster.
    The best animes are those where the protagonist is some kind of genious (Code Geass, Death Note) or a profound character (Kyon, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi).

• July 23, 2012 at 6:21 pminnerchihiro

I very much enjoyed this episode. ChitandaxOreki is always cute. I feel like this is all going to tie together quite well if KyoAni lives up to it’s name.
    Speaking of KyoAni, are there plans to cover the K-ON! Movie? It just came out last week.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:35 pmstarss

Covering the K-On! movie would be a great opportunity for Jaalin to make a comeback! ;)

• July 23, 2012 at 6:39 pmNaiika

I don’t think the upperclassman is really smug or mean, I think it was all a ploy from the beginning.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:55 pmLasT MaN

looks like a great case is being done just a guess… while the things stolen are lame, i think the case will make hotarou and the kotenbu become famous. with that forget the anthologies and they will become an investigative team and will be involved in a major crime as the climax of the story… —- JUST A GUESS.

• July 24, 2012 at 9:27 amjreding

Takaii, thanks for pointing out how interesting a character Mayaka is in your last episode post! I realized this now, too.

• July 24, 2012 at 1:28 pmPuff

Chitanda is moe and all, but god I have a massive weak spot for Mayaka. It’s like my manliness just gushes out of every pore whenever I see her.

• July 24, 2012 at 1:41 pmMM

the opening song made me smile and laugh at the end :)

• July 24, 2012 at 3:02 pmCrook

You were probably just late with reviewing, but episode 14 is already out, in case you didn’t know.

• July 24, 2012 at 5:31 pmmegalith

Shipping all over. I really love how Chitanda pulled Oreki out of the glass pane.

Really enjoying this arc so much.

• July 24, 2012 at 10:29 pmRaichuchu

Doing some guess work here:

I have a feeling that Oreki’s sister is involved in the pranks that’s happening in Kanya Fest..knowing that Oreki will solve these interesting mysteries, the classics club will get credit at the end, and the anthology will sell (which is probably why she order so many)

Any other guesses? :)

• July 24, 2012 at 10:53 pmRaindeth

• July 27, 2012 at 10:55 amMilomont

The mystery of this episode is right under your eyes, people.
    THAT awkward moment happen not because Chitanda found out someone is a peeper but a keeper.
    Only 3 photos was left in the envelop when chi-chan picks it up, and she knows who did it without confirming the content.

• August 1, 2012 at 4:40 amTopboy

Extremely slow pace for this episode.OP2 is better than OP1 but I preferred ED1>ED2 (moe yuri win)

• August 5, 2012 at 8:40 pmstarss

Woah. The last post on this show was at Episode 13!?

Someone needs to catch up!

• August 7, 2012 at 3:41 amBACKSPACE

Is Hyouka being dropped? It’s no longer in the current series tabs…

• August 7, 2012 at 9:51 pmnanazumi

What a shame~ I was actually looking forward to someone picking up this series again! I guess not..

• August 8, 2012 at 9:40 pmKimu

I wish they contiune writing about this anime really like reading their view

• August 8, 2012 at 11:33 pmMomo

I came here after getting around to episode 16 for some reviews and discussions. Hope someone gets back to writing about this fantastic anime… the mystery element provides so much to mull over.

• August 13, 2012 at 10:04 amZammael

I posted on this episode, particularly on whether all opinions of art are equal http://j.mp/MRk8kS

• September 7, 2012 at 7:23 amAshen

Love seeing the CC members on their own, especially Satoshi and Houtaro whom I feel have been underdeveloped a bit personality-wise. Satoshi seems to have a lot more going on under the surface so I hope this festival brings some of that to light!

The Manag Society’s prez reminded me in this way of Shizuru of Mai-HiME; all smiles and soft-spoken class, but a brilliant opportunist when no one’s looking.