Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 04 »« Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 02

Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 03

Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   01 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   02 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   03
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   04 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   05 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   06
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   07 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   08 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   09
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   10 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   11 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   12
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   13 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   14 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   15
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   16 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   17 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   18
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   19 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   20 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   21
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   22 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   23 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   24
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   25 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   26 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   27
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   28 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   29 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   30
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   31 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   32 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   33
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   34 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   35 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   36

「美濃動乱」 (Mino Douran)
“The Mino Disturbance”

“Women are not tools of conquest.”
-Niwa “Scorekeeper” Nagahide

You don’t hear that said often in anime, where the work acknowledges the equality of women. As I’ve said before, I don’t consider labeling myself as a feminist, but one need not be one to appreciate such a fresh statement in what’s often a sexist medium (how sexist is up to debate). Almost every character in this show has exhibited some sort of strength that’s not tacked on. It is integral to their characters, whether it’s Scorekeeper’s order, Katsuie’s restraint, Monkey’s willingness to die, or Nobuna’s Ambition ultimate dream.

The events that triggered their personalities have thuroughly impressed me thus far. Instead of the genderbending being a purely fanservice modification, that aspect of the show is explored in the anime as a true ‘what if’ scenario. What if a female Daimyo came to power? What if we have to marry against our own will? What if the people we love are doomed to be distant from us? All of these questions get explored thuroughly, not just by one or two people, but various parts of the cast. Although Azai (Saiga Mitsuki) is a despicable character, he makes fair points concerning the reality of relationships in the political sphere. In a more realistic and strategic perspective, Yoshiharu could be at most a male concubine for Nobuna, whilst she saves her own hand for political gain. On the other hand, it’s ironic that Azai states that Nobuna must throw away any happiness she has as a woman, for the prime inner reason why Nobuna desires to save her father-in-law is her position as a caring daughter. Yoshiharu’s reasons for following Nobuna follow the same pattern: it’s not because he’s a guy who wants to protect a girl, but rather he’s a visionary from the future who believes in Nobuna’s “dream”.

Despite these powerful words and statements, some of its effectiveness is lost due to what seems to be a bad case of plot armor. At this rate, none of the Daimyos are going to die, nor any of the main characters, and most definitely none of the women. When Yoshiharu was on that raft and Goemon happened to deflect three arrows with her ninja skills…that’s when the armor became most apparent. Although the scenes themselves may be filled with tension, without the knowledge that SOMETHING could go fatally wrong…the tension isn’t at its fullest potential.

While we’re on the topic of tense scenes, I would like to briefly mention the pacing. Personally, I found this to be a non-issue until this episode, during the clash between the Mino rebellion and the Oda forces. Although 20 or more seconds would’ve sufficed, the clash lasted 10 seconds or so. Due to all of the investment in focusing on the buildup, the actual excitement of the event…felt rushed. Although it might be reasonable to attribute this to a low amount of episodes, it’s still an issue that has to be addressed. The conclusions these past few episodes have felt like quick and dirty conclusions to the conflict built 20 minutes before. Hopefully this isn’t a trend for every episode, but if it truly is a one-cour show, it’s a sort of necessary flaw that’ll have to be dealt with, lest the show decide to cover less material.

These flaws shouldn’t hamper too much from enjoying the plot. If you’ve been following this show thus far, expectations for this show have been met, if not exceeded. The fanservice is regulated, the tension is there, and history has been changed. Although veteran Sengoku watchers may find this a bit repetitive, I vouch again to the line said by Scorekeeper: there’s some surprises that make this show different from the rest.

Historical Notes: Spoilers Possible

PS: tourisugari, if I got the pronounciation wrong again, let me know! ^^’

Full-length images: 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 16, 17, 18, 25, 27, 28, 32, 34, 36.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   Preview 01 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   Preview 02 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   03   Preview 03
July 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm
  • July 23, 2012 at 7:27 pmM to the Star

Goemon super cute kawaii ninja especially that 1st scene, good episode though

• July 23, 2012 at 8:03 pmTodd

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• July 23, 2012 at 8:23 pmTingster013

This is just the 3rd episode, give it a little more time, maybe they will progress to harem. But, cause the title is Oda Nobuna, maybe the focus is her?

• July 23, 2012 at 10:01 pmbakakubi

If you’re looking at this show purely for a harem/ fan-service fill experience, I suggest you look elsewhere. The harem aspect in this one is pretty mild in this series, imo. It definitely won’t be the main focus/attraction of the show, that’s for sure.

• July 23, 2012 at 10:30 pmAllen Walker

Isn’t polygamy legal in this age? If so he can have atleast a few wives. But i bet they cop out and only stick with nobuna.

• July 23, 2012 at 8:22 pmP Ko

I can’t for the life of me link together what she reminds me of… and it’s driving me insane!

This along with Binbou and Sword Art are my top 3 favourites of this season.

• July 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm0927123

Let me take a stab. Edward Elric – FMA

• July 25, 2012 at 11:10 amanimato

Kinda looks like Hikaru from Hikaru no Go (female version)

• July 23, 2012 at 8:24 pmTingster013

Monkey is a little dense huh? Quite blur to the feeling of Nobuna…

• July 23, 2012 at 8:29 pmlivevoid

Azai’s appearance reminds me of Assassin from Fate/Stay Night

• July 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm0927123

In all seriousness, dat feel when Viper was about to ‘die’ almost made me cry. Also Nobuna bringing her army to save ‘Saru’, come on man TAKE THE HINT!!

Still can’t get over the quality animation… so vivid…

• July 23, 2012 at 8:56 pmRinsako

• July 24, 2012 at 2:21 amCrazyguy

as retarded as this sounds. Its actually true.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:21 pmPtolemaios00

From my Sengoku Basara knowledge, Azai should get married to Oichi. No equivalent character has shown up so far, but I thinking Kichou could fit the bill.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:26 pmRinsako

Shotas

• August 7, 2012 at 12:53 amPanzercracker

Oichi will arrive in the future, but it is a very very big surprise. :))

• July 23, 2012 at 9:24 pmRyuuzaki21

nobukatsu have an army full of girls?! yay >:)

can i rank the girls?
    1. nobuna
    2. katsuie
    3. nagahide
    4. mitsuhide
    5. ~nothing follows~

• July 23, 2012 at 11:37 pmDevastator001

Same as mine! XD although for me Katsuie and Nagahide are tied for 2nd XD

• July 23, 2012 at 9:57 pmtiktik

Nobukatsu harem in the preview

• July 23, 2012 at 10:47 pmdaikama

@Zanibas – Thanks for continuing to cover this, and please continue the spoiler historical references. I think it adds a nice touch to the review. FWIW – I don’t think that the Mino-Oda battle needed to be drawn out much longer. I viewed it as the final step to the serious battle against Imagawa. The entire focus of Ep 03 was that if Nobuna sent aid to Saito, Imagawa would invade a defenseless Oda. Well, Nobuna really did it to save Yoshiharu, but the result is the same. Very much looking forward to next Ep..

With three Eps viewed, this is definitely one of my favorite shows this season, and one I think most people didn’t expect to turn out as well as it has so far. The vast majority of previews I read were “What! Another Sengoku gender swap, time-travel anime! PASS!” Ironically, I have yet to read a preview that states “What! Another futuristic mecha anime with all (or nearly all) female pilots! PASS!” Seems to be more of those around.

Goemon’s stuttering is great as a running joke. I LOL’d at the “So you can do what – 30 characters at most?” line in Ep 01. Great character. Everything I liked in Ep 01 is still there.

Still, there are a few things I would like to see or could be improved. I agree the pacing could be better – particularly towards an episode’s end. I also agree that the endings seem more episodic rather than a step leading towards the next Ep in a story best viewed in whole rather than parts (ex. Fate Zero). It seems we won’t get much character development (or background) other than Nobuna and Yoshiharu. This really needed 24 Eps to be done right. Some extra time could also be alloted to battles as well. Small final complaint: Maybe just me, but I hate music used for comedy situations. Its just bad and the change from previous background music far too garish.

• July 23, 2012 at 11:44 pmDevastator001

@Zanibas

I agree they could use some work in the pacing. Though for the Plot Armor part for the characters would it be fair to compare them to when they historically would have died? Also I think Saru is also starting to realize that his actions are starting to slowly change what he knows about the time period.

• July 24, 2012 at 12:25 amZanibas

Yes, but they also don’t get injured, bruised, tired, etc. Not a single scratch to be found. Also,

• July 23, 2012 at 11:54 pmVixus

Loving the series very much so far, keep going :)

• July 24, 2012 at 1:05 amRFayt

I was hoping that Saru would have use more game knowledge to bail himself out of this one, rather than Goemon’s ninja moves.
    As shown in the previous episode, Saru is not only a Nobunaga’s Ambition nutcase, but played other games like Voyage (iirc thats the english name, correct me if I’m wrong. PS: Loved that game). There should be other games that give detailed geographical information to allow Saru to get out of sticky situations like this instead of what they’ve pulled.

• July 24, 2012 at 1:31 amGray Fullbuster

Why…why does Mitsuhide remind me of Kugimiya Rie characters? :X
    Every time i look at her, i picture she saying something with Kugimiya’s voice. :P

Loving the show so far.
    Goemon is my Imouto. :3

• July 24, 2012 at 2:22 amMagus_Killer

That’s because Akechi Mitsuhide shows some traits of characters voiced by the Queen of Tsundere:

1. Flat-chested with a child-like body (although she is not insecure of these facts)
      2. Waist-length hair

Akechi Mitsuhide, so far has not displayed traits 3-5 usually associated with “Shana Clone” characters, but if she falls in love with Sagara, we might see those come up. =)

• July 24, 2012 at 1:58 amDarklord

You don’t need to look hard to find works that depict the equality or even superiority of women over men nowadays. Recent anime has been replete with strong female and weak/idiotic/submissive male characters.

Just looking over the shows being covered here at RC, there is Accel World, AKB0048, Eureka Seven AO, Fairy Tail, Hyouka, Jinrui, Kokoro Connect, Horizon, Moyashimon, Total Eclipse, Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Rinne no Lagrange, Sword Art Online.

All of those shows feature female characters which are equal or even stronger/more competent than their male counterparts.

If anything, I would say there is “reverse sexism” going on nowadays (I realize I use the term incorrectly – sexism is sexism regardless of which gender it is directed at, but whenever the term is commonly used, it it always assumed it is directed towards women). I can count the number of shows nowadays with strong/competent male characters on my fingers.

• July 24, 2012 at 6:58 amlol

You have gotta be kidding me. You would have to be completely blind to deny that the common belief is that men are superior over women.

Ugh.

• July 24, 2012 at 7:32 amDarklord

Instead of generalizing and relying on “common belief”, you could provide some specific examples like I did…or do you believe that “male superiority” is something so intrinsic to anime that you don’t need to prove it even when faced with evidence pointing to the opposite.

• July 25, 2012 at 9:22 amTan-Tan

Not exactly sure why Darklord got a lot of negative votes – pretty sure someone cheated because he actually states his argument with some support. It’s wrong to argue using the common belief without actual research or scientific study. You can’t use conventions as evidence. What’s widely accepted by the majority is not necessarily scientifically proven.

Although to begin with, sexism is too broad of a topic to argue. You need to define which aspect of sexism exactly the choices of female/male roles contribute to. But then again, what was given was a sound opinion. I just don’t like how it was ridiculed for being a different one with a fallacious statement even though it makes sense.

• July 24, 2012 at 7:31 amZreon

While I appreciate getting some more decent female characters lately, there is still lots of sexism to go around in most of the show you mention. And if you think a few strong female characters make up for all the tons of stereotypical weak ones, you are very much wrong.

Maybe there is a trend more towards equality now, but we’re still far from reaching that state.

• July 24, 2012 at 7:39 amDarklord

It’s not “a few strong female characters”, it’s far more that the number of “strong male characters”. Also, there are plenty of stereotypical weak male characters as well.

Again, like I told the poster above, you could provide some examples of shows with strong male characters and “stereotypical weak females”.

Just to clarify though, I’m talking mostly about the last 5 years, which is when I saw this trend starting to emerge.

• July 24, 2012 at 12:39 pmZanibas

Although I can’t speak for all the shows, since I haven’t seen all of them, I don’t believe any of them have specifically made the effort to point out and antagonize sexism (at least in a female sense). The formula that’s refreshing here is:

Party A does a sexist thing => Female Party B calls out that shit without tiptoeing.

Yes, there are strong female leads and reverse sexism, but that doesn’t change that the industry as a whole is still stereotyped and generates sexism. Dekinai is an obvious example, as well as Dog Days (?), Campione, Ebiten, and Aestetica. Famiglia (though it’s supposed to) also lacks a backboned female lead. Kokoro Connect, due to recent episodes, also wavers on your point (I’m trying to avoid spoilers here). Also: merchandise and fanworks.

But the point of “what kind of sexism” exists wasn’t my point. My point was about the anime directly antagonizing a sexist scenario with a female defender. That honestly is something you don’t see every day.

• July 24, 2012 at 4:07 amShiki999

for god sake don’t compare this fluffy harem anime with real historic sengoku facts,if you do then please tell me how nobunaga and everyone else turned into girls,just watch and enjoy.

• July 24, 2012 at 12:53 pmZanibas

1) It’s not a fluffy harem (if we’re going to use harem = 1 boy + many girls). At best it’s a harem where the main female lead almost cuts your head off.

2) What’s wrong with looking at the parallels of a historically based anime with actual facts? What part of this post did I stuff historical stuff down your throat anyways? Spoiler tags?

Also, you’re missing the point. Just because I point out the historical connections doesn’t mean that history actually has a female Nobuna, Katsuie, etc. etc. You’re supposed to know that’s the fictional part of the story. There’s no harm in pointing out the historical ties the authors WANT people to notice.

3) If I just watch and enjoy, there wouldn’t be a blog post in the first place :P. I’m enjoying this anime much more because I understand how much they’re messing around with history.

• July 25, 2012 at 3:06 ameharper256

I, at least, appreciate the historical comparison. Keep it up!

• July 24, 2012 at 5:27 pmU Doh

Bashing a “what if” historical fiction saying “This is not true history” is absurd and silly.
      Comparing it with actual history and analyzing it, are not.

• July 24, 2012 at 8:16 pmZanibas

But the thing is, most of the historical stuff is in spoilers, so you don’t even have to be bothered by it: it’s not for you, it’s for those who appreciate a historical supplement.

• July 26, 2012 at 12:10 amU Doh

Honestly, I have no idea why you claim this show is not for me. I’m fully enjoying the show AND your comparison analysis sounds interesting to me.

• July 26, 2012 at 1:10 amZanibas

Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment then :S.

In that case…yay!

• July 24, 2012 at 1:01 pmSerapita

Love how Nagahide gives the score to almost everything. Lover’s Spat in front of other Daimyo? 5 Points!

• July 24, 2012 at 2:01 pmjingoi

Nobuna is too bitchy, dropped. Knew this season was going to be crap like the last 2, now to start Mushi-Shi.

• July 24, 2012 at 2:52 pmgecd

sadly no female will die in this anime
    show us imagawa’s head next episode and believe me Odan Nobuna will become anime of the season :p

• July 24, 2012 at 6:07 pmFiShar

Fate change, way to go Viper! You survived.
    Hope the next general falls so she can become Jigoku Shoujo.

• July 24, 2012 at 7:42 pmjust as planned

• July 25, 2012 at 9:26 amKamiyaCheap

This is jst getting better and better!!! Give me the next episode now!!! ><

Btw when will the Miko girl appear?

• July 25, 2012 at 9:29 amArakan7

I’m falling so hard for Katsuie right now, and not just because she has two of the biggest reasons a man can be happy.

• July 25, 2012 at 12:45 pmAnon

Is that Sephiroth?!

• July 26, 2012 at 10:43 pmGiovanni

This show just keeps getting better…who wouldn’t thought it would be able to keep up with its momentum 3 episodes in. I’m pleased.

Also, I would like to add that I rather liked the way they consistently portrayed Yoshihari as a hopeless soldier since the real Hideyoshi was said to be one of the worst warriors of his time though he was one of the greatest generals.

• August 25, 2012 at 5:29 amMorgan

Superub……..

• September 5, 2012 at 3:53 amLeah Brown

This is getting more interesting with the passage of each episode. I eagerly look up for the following episode. Great job. Keep the good going.

• September 18, 2012 at 5:55 amCurative Robert

I love this series. I like all the gals in this series, all of them are really cute and beautiful.

• September 28, 2012 at 6:58 amDevis Lauren

There is a very thin difference between commenting one as a sexist and a woman as being bold. We should be clear in mind about the difference between the two. The characters in mentioned here cannot be commented as sexist ones. I enjoy this show thoroughly though.