Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 07, 08 »« Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 05

Oda Nobuna no Yabou – 06

Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   01 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   02 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   03
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   04 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   05 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   06
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   07 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   08 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   09
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   10 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   11 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   12
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   13 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   14 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   15
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   16 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   17 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   18
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   19 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   20 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   21
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   22 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   23 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   24
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   25 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   26 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   27
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   28 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   29 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   30
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   31 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   32 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   33
Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   34 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   35 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   36

「墨俣一夜城」 (Sunomata Ichi-ya Shiro)
“Sunomata Castle in One Night”

In terms of historical accuracy, the only event that actually stuck true to the plot was the construction of Sunomata castle. Everything else completely deviated from the plot, so actually predicting what would happen was a mystery for me this episode.

The liberties the anime took in place of history wasn’t bad–in fact they brought out the traits. Although Nobunaga never had to be trapped in flames during the siege, its purpose served two-fold: one, to place pressure on Yoshiharu’s decisions and two, to uplift Nobuna’s ability as a tactician. The story is slowly moving in a direction that reminds us that Yoshiharu’s plans are not foolproof because history has dictated it–due to his changes in the timeline, history reacts in a different, unpredictable way. It’s true that Yoshiharu should be able to handle these dynamic scenarios, but this is a game he has not had practice to play. At first, hiccups in the timeline didn’t affect Yoshiharu’s battle plans significantly; generally the timeline kept true to its history and Yoshiharu was able to play it out by reflex. However, if we were to compare this game to AI in a game, the CPU definitely is getting more unpredictable. Thankfully, while the enemy grows unpredictable, Nobuna also continues to shine as well. It is getting a bit cliche how she’ll panic and tear up if Yoshiharu is in trouble, yet her general approach to the war is admirable. This mix of emotional sensitivity and superior war tactics is a recurring conflict that will not go away in this series. If the series can continue to provide these forks for Nobuna–deciding between love and conquest, while making sure she doesn’t get both–I will be a content viewer. If the series can also pull that off for Yoshiharu and somehow place a real lose-lose situation into the plot due to his selfishness, I will continue to eat the criticisms I’ve laid out in previous episodes. If the series can push what they did with the burning of Sunomata Castle into something more tense over a longer span of time, I won’t just be content, I’ll be a happy giddy viewer!

Speaking of those criticisms, the show continues to make me modify my criticisms: something both humbling and relieving for me to do. In initial episodes, I kept my concerns that all the protagonists had plot armor, especially the girls. When Yoshiharu actually started bleeding from Hattori’s shuriken, my new concern was that none of the cute girls would get harmed. Now that Goemon has been shot and knocked out, I want to start hoping that the show is actually listening to my words, and state that the next improvement is now to have one of the characters become incapacitated for a significant amount of time (aka lasting longer than one episode). Despite that hope, this is what I expect the show’s limit is in terms of creating situations of injury. If any one of the cast members were chosen to be knocked out for awhile, fans would be flailing, rage boiling…or so I would expect. Whilst having an occasional injury may create drama for the moment, actual serious injury would sour the comedy-drama balance that seems production has taken. But hey, I could be wrong, and who knows what’s next?

Next week, if you thought we didn’t have enough characters to manage in this show…no. More cute Daimyos and miko shrine maidens continue to challenge Nobuna’s rise to rule, with undoubtedly more skill than ever!

Meanwhile, while we wait, let’s take a moment to appreciate this scene. Props to Croos for making the gif!

Historical Notes: (Spoilers Possible)

Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   Preview 01 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   Preview 02 Oda Nobuna no Yabou   06   Preview 03
August 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm
  • August 14, 2012 at 3:21 pmPi Face 314

Dat gif…<3

More characters next week yay.

I wonder if all these changing variables will change how history plays out or if it will just stay the same…

Good review

• August 15, 2012 at 2:06 amSerapita

Now I wonder who the miko is… Kenshin? Honganji Kennyo?

• August 14, 2012 at 3:36 pmYes!@

This was a fun watch at first I was upset with Saru,yet again, for his know it all atittude, when Nobuna used her other generals before him. It was good to teach him a lesson. Then the whole gold mine fire trap was executed perfectly and the gun shot I was totaly into the whole thing and thought we really were going to lose a character and nobuna crying at the river for saru was a nice scene and gave me the shivers (I thought they retreaded). Can’t complain muc hfor the happy ending specially because Saru got a “beating” for holding the loli.
    The final gift of step father was nice, hope that freeing the bad guy won’t bite our gang later on.

• August 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm0927123

This series is my fave this season. Very underrated. Quality hasn’t dropped significantly and I hope it stays that way.

• August 14, 2012 at 3:38 pmyomax

• August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pmZanibas

Wouldn’t it be…

…Date Musume now?

*ba dum tssh*

I hate myself now.

• August 15, 2012 at 2:24 amNobody

Yeah, his name is not Date Masamune yet and he’s still using his childhood name “Bontenmaru”.

• August 15, 2012 at 7:38 pmMash

It will be quite interesting when she gets introduced, Date Masamune is my ancestor.

• August 14, 2012 at 5:09 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Heh, funny to think that it’s all the loli characters that have become more attached to Yoshiharu overall (Nobuna, of course, being all tsundere about it).

Man, is that scary? Or sexy? Or both? I can’t tell. I’m scared, yet I love it, lol.

• August 14, 2012 at 5:16 pmJhacks

This Anime needs to be become a Game.
    Massacring thousands of brain-dead AI soldiers using cute lolis while a rock music is playing in the background, ala Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors but more so, because this Anime has a pretty decent and engaging storyline.

• August 14, 2012 at 6:03 pmTingster013

Expect/Hope Koei to get the legal rights of the show and start developing it.

• August 14, 2012 at 11:19 pmSpinarakk

Have you not heard of Sengoku Rance?

• August 15, 2012 at 5:56 amTingster013

Nope, but just googled it, it is eroge… We are talking more of a hack and slash theme game here…

• August 15, 2012 at 1:54 amSerapita

Oda Nobuna no Yabou Musou would blow the Sangoku and Sengoku version away!

• August 14, 2012 at 6:06 pmTingster013

The snake formed with torch look like Seviper from Pokemon, and literally Dousan the Seviper pop into my mind…

• August 14, 2012 at 7:06 pmFiShar

What is Katsuie’s plate armor made of?
    Katakura Kojuurou and Date Masamune are Nuns?
    and she lost her left eye?

• August 14, 2012 at 7:39 pmjust as planned

Anyone else thought that useless Katsuie is useless?

• August 15, 2012 at 2:31 amLynyrd Skynyrd

Katsuie is good on offense not in defense

• August 14, 2012 at 8:02 pmSamurai Pumpkin

I really love this series. Watched it twice over so far and about to start a 3rd, but I hope that this all isn’t just a dream or something. Would really detract from the attachment I’m feeling towards some of the characters.

• August 14, 2012 at 8:20 pmOtaku Dump

• August 14, 2012 at 8:21 pmRyuuzaki21

• August 25, 2012 at 10:19 pmMagus

Nagahide doesn’t get enough love.

• August 14, 2012 at 10:34 pmSushi GoKart

Long time reader, first time commenter. I am really enjoying this series because every week it seems to amp up the action and the stakes. More than meets the eye for Nobuna. It really is one of my favorite series this season from an enjoyment factor. The pacing and story telling, at least for me, outclasses Sengoku Collection.

• August 14, 2012 at 11:03 pmporon

takenaka shigeharu being guo jia while kuroda kanbei being jia xu

• August 15, 2012 at 1:19 ambakakubi

Awww, why won’t you let Nobuna have both love and conquest :(

• August 15, 2012 at 2:00 amSerapita

Two episodes straight without score-keeping from Nagahide.

Btw, Poor Hanbei, look at her face when Yoshiharu hugs Goemon.

• August 15, 2012 at 2:51 amMocha

loved the ending scene with the music coming on

• August 15, 2012 at 6:58 amEdenEXE

Man dat invincible Goemon, would like to see more development on the Katsuie and Niwa though.

This show fails to keep me interested for now, hopefully it stays that way.

• August 15, 2012 at 7:04 amArtemisthemp

That yellow hair with eyepatch can only be Muramasa

• August 16, 2012 at 9:27 pmjust as planned

lol muramasa and not masamune

• August 15, 2012 at 7:23 amThundershock81

Niwa must be completely bad ass, no one even tries to mess with her.

Scary and awesome at the same time =)

• August 17, 2012 at 7:21 pmKyon12

I like this anime, today i finished watching the 6th ep…………it would be nice if the LN was translated :D

• August 18, 2012 at 7:17 amSYMBV

Among the reviews written by westerners your knowledge about what happened historically is among the best. Even though you said “almost all of the events, other than the construction of Sunomata Castle by Yoshiharu and the renaming of Inabayama to Gifu, are made up” which is a pleasant surprise. Anyway, I find the anime / light novel satisfyingly stick close to history – at least the girls mostly remember what their role and goal is and fight like a soldier, which cannot be said for other girls-in-historical-figures anime like Sengoku Collection or Sangoku Musou or Ikki Tousen. And generally the story is moving along the general direction of the history. And the anime in fact arouses my interest about the history of the Sengoku Period (again) and even teaches quite a few things I did not know before, like Hanbei captured the Inabayama castle but turned it over back to Saito Yoshitatsu (this took place in ep.5 but of course what happened was completely different in real life). And the final twist of renaming Inabayama to Gifu (which is what the city is called now) that can also means “step-father” is simply a masterstroke, worthy of having a special ED of its own. Overall the animation quality is top-notched, and the character design is done so cute so well. I started this anime thinking it may just be another Sengoku Collection but ended up loving this anime so much – I would put it in the top 3 anime of this season among the 16 titles that I am following currently.