Naruto 599 – Blast from the Past »« Naruto 597 – Beyond Space-Time

Naruto 598 – The Mask Shatters

Naruto Manga   598   01

This week on Naruto… well, not much happens. We get some more signs (or red herrings) that Obito is Tobi via Kakashi’s flashbacks to what must’ve been Obito’s grave, as well as via Guy’s admittance that he’s thinking along the same lines. I had hoped that they’d reveal who Tobi really was this chapter, but alas, we’re given the trollin’ cliffhanger to end things off this chapter. We’re guaranteed to see the reveal next week at least though, so that’s the end of that, as well as the rampant speculations as to who it is. Personally, I would’ve preferred that they revealed him this week, but alas… I should’ve seen that coming. Otherwise, the rest of the chapter was pretty much a few fancy battle scenes, coupled with the continued demonstrations of Naruto’s development as a ninja, and Kakashi continuing to show why he’s so lethal in battle. Gotta admit, Kakashi’s teleportation of a Naruto clone instead of the Rasengan to trick Tobi… just a brilliant play. Even I was caught off guard a bit by it!

Anywho, that’s about it for this week. Easily my shortest post of my career here on RC, but I reckon next chapter’ll have a bunch of stuff to talk about. Though, I guess it’ll be dependent on who is the one actually behind the mask. Regardless, I can’t help but shake the fact that the focus on this fight is going to end in the next chapter or two, as I can’t see Kishimoto not taking this break in the action to shift the focus back to Sasuke, for better or for worse.

August 22, 2012 at 11:24 am
  • August 22, 2012 at 11:27 amLaughingMan

SHOW WHO’S BEHIND THE MASK ALREADY GODDAMMIT!

• August 22, 2012 at 3:14 pmpiglet

Its orochimaru…. It always is

• August 22, 2012 at 10:37 pmTez

Or the Spanish Inquisition

• August 23, 2012 at 3:05 amblink o_0

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

Our chief weapon is Susano no jutsu….

• August 22, 2012 at 6:50 pmRandom_Ram

Tobi Will pull a Kakashi. Behind his mask…

• August 23, 2012 at 7:29 amCybersteel

NOOO!

• August 23, 2012 at 10:00 amPIGLET

Its naruto and sasukes half brother who didnt exist till next chapterrrr

• August 24, 2012 at 8:52 pmKAMPUNGJIN

Tobi is Luffy!! And Kakashi is Luffy long missing friend, Sabo!! Kakashi had amnesia and he forgot that he is really Sabo!!!!! :P

• August 25, 2012 at 7:58 amAizen

Since when were you under the impression that it wasn’t me?

• August 22, 2012 at 11:31 amKishimoto

Aaaand next week back to the kages vs Madara [trollface]

• August 22, 2012 at 11:37 amAnanas

Get the fuck out Kubo.

• August 22, 2012 at 11:38 amZephyr

Lol well, Kishimoto said himself Tobi would be revealed shortly (few weeks back), so we’ll definitely at least see who’s behind the mask before whatever inevitable shift to either Sasuke or the Kages.

• August 22, 2012 at 12:07 pmL002

you never know, the author told us that Naruto would soon, only for him to later say in a “at least an year” he said naruto will end.

Who knows, we may be given another troll from him where Tobi puts on another mask.

Anyway, I am wondering if it is obito. It could be Rin or someone else Kakashi knows.

What I am more concerned about is why does Kakashi think that Obito’s Sharingan is the only eye that can do some dimensional jutsu. Sasuke may be able to do the same thing since he “put out” his black flames.

• August 23, 2012 at 1:04 amJello

Oh my god. It’d be the biggest mindf*** for Kakashi if it were Rin.

Could it be possible that it’s actually someone else using Obito’s body? Using the same soul transfer technique as Orochimaru. That would explain who the 4th Hokage fought…to an extent. Maybe it’s a very old Uchiha that transfers his soul to a new Uchiha body every generation.

• August 22, 2012 at 9:11 pmNadester

Oh the irony…….wait…irony doesn’t exist in Naruto. :P Let the plot dragging commence.

• August 22, 2012 at 11:36 amAnanas

Naruto smashes the mask! Yeeeeeeah!!
    Naruto smashes the face! Noooooooo!!

• August 22, 2012 at 11:44 amAnon

inb4 Tobi is Obito

• August 22, 2012 at 2:31 pmAce

Tobi is Rin.

• August 22, 2012 at 9:50 pmYuki

It should be… If we assume 3 things:
        1. Obito is really dead
        2. Kakashi and Tobi’s sharingan are from the same person
        3. only Rin or Kakashi would know where Obito died.
        Since Rin is a medical ninja and she could have surgically remove/preserve Obito’s damaged(?) right eyes and the most important thing of all we didn’t get a continuation of Rin progress after the war… But if she is really Tobi then it would be maximum trolling by Kishimoto.

• August 22, 2012 at 11:51 amAlcren

Kishi is not kubo but I can’t shake the feeling of an incoming epic troll. But at least it will be a fun ride

• August 22, 2012 at 11:56 amAldebaran

Stupid Tobi, he could have used Rinnengan and blow Naruto away. I really don’t understand why he haven’t used rinnengan even once (except controling bijuus) :/

• August 22, 2012 at 12:23 pmK C M

It’s probably because of the sharingan in his right eye socket, the rinnegan is the ultimate dojutsu it can’t be used alongside the sharingan
      at the same time as that would constitute a waste of chakra, just like Kakashi analysed earlier when he discovered that tobi wasn’t using the same jutsu as pain but was using his eyes to control the tailed beasts to do what he wants. This is what happens when lousy shinobis
      just gather to much sharingans and then think that they are strong because of how many they can get, and that’s what happened to danzo when he wasted ten sharingans on izanagi when battling Sasuke and ended up loosing and now the same thing is happening to tobi.

• August 22, 2012 at 12:19 pmYvi

i would speculate that it probably needs to much chakra right now … he controlled already 6 jinchuriki + this gedo maso thing and his constant kamui …. now using rinnegan is maybe a little to much even if he has it .. maybe he is saving/holding back some of his power for the next move. Having this completly without putting it to use in the manga would be senseless, there probably will be a future move with the rinnegan? But if it does, then its gotta be soon.

ps: i still dont think tobi is obito .. its some “lost” uchiha or something, maybe even the “dead” Danzo xD … but no obito :/

• August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pmK C M

No way Obito is tobi, if I were to guess I would say that he is either izuna( although I’m beginning to realise that there is a slim chance it’s him) or kagami uchiha( based on someone’s hypothesis the chances are really high), MK would ruin the plot if he makes tobi’s real ID to be
    Obito, the whole thing doesn’t add up he( Obito ) could not have known the history of the Senju and the Uchiha, it has to be someone from
    the third hokage’s generation and above not from kakashi’s generation.

• August 22, 2012 at 12:49 pmLove-determinant

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• August 22, 2012 at 12:58 pmInfinite

lol wut, inb4 Shonen Jump aimed at 13 year old kids.

• August 23, 2012 at 8:39 pmzodiac killer

how kishimoto writes critiques about world war ii in a kids story is kinda exactly the problem tho isnt it

• August 22, 2012 at 3:06 pmAnon

what did i just read

• August 22, 2012 at 5:25 pmDa5id

So…I guess Naruto’s not gonna be winning any Manga Oscars this year?

• August 22, 2012 at 6:43 pmDevastator001

…Does not compute… @_@?

• August 23, 2012 at 8:28 amsantoryu13

…………your run-on sentences have ruined my day. Thank you for giving me a headache from reading the most incoherent ramble I’ve ever come across.

• August 23, 2012 at 10:53 pmFullmetalstrawberry

Ladies and gents – it’s a complaint generator. Check it out of google ;P.

• August 22, 2012 at 12:56 pmK C M

But if it’s Obito I’m guessing that Madara must have found him( remember he faked his death after his battle with Hashirama ) and brain washed him and made him to become tobi( because madara is aware of tobi’s existence and tobi is somewhat frightened of madara ) and
    tobi wants to be the one who inflicts the infinite tsukuyomi on everyone to validate his existence as he once admitted to Naruto that he is
    no one and then………….

You know what to hell with this speculation crap. I’m gonna have to wait for next week’s episode to know the truth of his ID. But don’t be
    surprised if we saw his face and still Naruto, Kakashi and Guy wouldn’t know who he is.

• August 22, 2012 at 1:00 pmLayfon

The mask was his true identity. It was majora’s mask from the start.

• August 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm0927123

Extremely relevant.

• August 22, 2012 at 5:23 pmDa5id

Called it!

• August 22, 2012 at 10:07 pmNorioku

Kevin Bacon lol

• August 22, 2012 at 1:41 pmMikkye

I love how everyone glossed over the fact that Tobi/Obito used the Magenkyo Sharingan, there was even a side by side!? We leads to a good question, if he has been using an Advanced version of Kamui then how has he been using it without anyone noticing the change in his eye i.e. Kakashi/Kamui, Sasuke/Amaterasu, Itachi/Tsukiyomi all of them have to been in MS mode to use those techniques.

• August 22, 2012 at 2:22 pmbreak

aww…so the naruto manga will be on break until september >_<"

i can't wait to the see the 2nd hokage…or konoha's ramen chef's face next chapter !!

• August 22, 2012 at 3:20 pmSaturo

I bet the next chapter will be a filler.

• August 22, 2012 at 3:50 pmJustinnnnnn

Oh my God I could write a love letter to Kishimoto because of this chapter alone.

Since I’m not of those people that are so desperate to know Tobi’s identity, this chapter was a golden for me. Seriously, who didn’t like it? This was classic Naruto at its best.

This week, we had classic haughty Tobi vs classic determined Naruto. The result? One of the best fight scenes I can remember from Naruto…

Kyuubi awesomness? Check. Hachibi awesomness? Check. Rasengans? Check. Shadow Clones? Check.

Add to that some cheesy-good dialogues (“Hello…My name is Uzumaki Naruto; who are You?!“), and some more panels with Naruto in bijuu mode, and you couldn’t ask for much more.

Yeah, I liked it. Did you?

• August 22, 2012 at 3:55 pmJustinnnnnn

Oh, and don’t forget that traditional last spread with the 3 POVs.

• August 22, 2012 at 5:00 pmrandomly

COULD NOT AGREE MORE. I felt like I was 13 all over again reading this.

• August 22, 2012 at 6:18 pmJustinnnnnn

:D So did I man!

• August 22, 2012 at 5:21 pmDa5id

Please don’t be Obito.

Please don’t be Obito.

Please don’t be Obito.

• August 22, 2012 at 5:36 pmtasa

• August 22, 2012 at 6:01 pmichigoat

he would need reconstructive surgery after getting hit by a GODDAM KYUUBI-MODE RASENGAN IN THE FACE!

• August 22, 2012 at 6:36 pmKyon12

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it is going to hurt a lot……… :D next week chapter is going to be so EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 22, 2012 at 7:07 pmyusuke

…and now Naruto has messed his face up so bad we can’t recognise him XD Just great Kishi…

• August 23, 2012 at 1:18 amJello

Remember the Naruto episode where team Kakashi went on a mission to find what Kakashi’s mouth looked like?

Kakashi’s not the only one with tricks up his sleeve mask!

• August 22, 2012 at 6:33 pmrandom viewer

There’s another mask under that mask (Kakashi humor).
    But seriously, I’m gasping every page of the chapter. These cliffhangers really push my limit of tolerance.

• August 22, 2012 at 7:13 pmAlcren

I will laugh if Tobi’s face is so bloody we can only see his face. And that no one can recognize him

• August 22, 2012 at 7:52 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

The mask falls off to reveal his old orange mask where they only see a part of his eye.

Then when that mask gets shattered it shows his old Amaterasu-esque one from the Akatsuki flashbacks.

• August 22, 2012 at 8:02 pmJoh2pao

I don’t get how it can be Obito behind that mask…. THEN WHO WAS THE 4TH HOKAGE FIGHTING?
    It was someone his height and HAS ALREADY BEEN USING THE POWER TO PHASE STUFF THRU HIS BODY

• August 22, 2012 at 11:23 pmsasukefan?!?!

It can’t be Rin. Rin isn’t dead, and kakashi has a flashback to the gravestone. Remember in the beginning of Naruto? He mentions his friend who died on the battlefield. He was also referring to the time obito died. Point is, it can be Obito. The author just needs to make up some bullshit to support it.

• August 23, 2012 at 10:52 pmmaccha

Rin is dead. Kakashi mentioned her as one of the people he couldn’t protect when he died during Pain’s invasion of Konoha.

• August 23, 2012 at 1:13 amInfinite

I’m pretty sure if you took a rasengan to the face, your head would probably explode…

• August 23, 2012 at 1:20 amJello

Whatever happened to Naruto’s wind Rasengan? You know, the one that was so destructive that it would cut up individual cells.

• August 24, 2012 at 7:49 amYukie

The wind rasengan also cuts up the users’ cells so Naruto was told not to use it again.

• August 23, 2012 at 1:49 amRainbowIslands

Throwing some random thoughts out there….. Please don’t BASH me >.<

What if….. (Just thought this up)
    Tobi really is Obito and when the rock crushed on him during the war, his Kamui activated and transported the “crushed” half of his body to the pocket dimension? Obito mentioned how he “couldn’t feel his other half of his body”, because they weren’t in the same dimension. Most Uchiha(s) activate their Mangekyo Sharingan/Sharingan when they are in a near-death experience…. This would explain why Kakashi can activate his Mangekyo Sharingan after transplant, cause Obito ALREADY unlocked it when he got “crushed”. About his Age inconsistencies, I supposed it might be explained with the pocket dimension… like how you can go to different times by phasing in/out that pocket dimension… But this won’t explain what happened to the 5 minute phasing limit during the crushing…. since the transplant definitely took longer than 5 minutes…. Maybe his body TIME TRAVELED? gahhhh. Whatever, this will be my best guess before Tobi’s identity is revealed next week….

It’s almost Chapter 600, so I suppose there will be some kind of colored page with Tobi’s real face on it to celebrate maybe? Wait, that also means Tobi’s face has to be reveled by chapter 599! LOL. I’m so hyped for the next chapter!

• August 23, 2012 at 1:39 pmJoe

I think you’re probably right…I mean it makes sense. I kind of hope Tobi is Obito because that would have the most effect. Clone of Madara? Yawn.

• August 23, 2012 at 2:00 amRyuuzaki21

tobi’s mask tanked naruto’s kyuubi form rasengan. darn most ninjas even top-tiers will die from the impact.

• August 23, 2012 at 4:29 amSinTei

Tobi’s sharingan belongs to Obito. But that does not mean he is Obito. He has a whole collection of Sharingan in his lab.

Tobi is probably a strong Uchiha that Madara clearly knows. The fact that they are sharing some sort of plan confirms it. Also for him to evolve and use Obito’s sharingan just like that proves that he is an exceptional Uchiha. Unlike Kakashi that can’t handle the strain of using Kamui or the space-time jutsu.

Izuna probably comes into mind at first, but I think Tobi is probably another form of Zetsu infused with cells of Madara and Hashirama. It was mentioned in chapter 510 that he has both the powers of Senju and Uchiha. That’s why he can use Izanagi perfectly. It was also mentioned some chapters ago that Tobi kinda new Uzumaki Mito. And was familiar with her ability to sense other peoples negative intent.

Tobi also talks in a way that he portrays himself as Madara. And he knew everything regarding him. I don’t think he was just pretending. He might also be a clone of Madara using Hashirama’s power to produce a clone similar to Zetsu. Zetsu was more like a plant. Similar to Hashirama’s ability. Remember that white goo thing when he pulled of his arm when fighting Tourune and fuu. Also when he got hit with Minato’s rasengan. His arm was falling out like some kind of slime.

Also. You guys may have forgotten, but Kisame saw Tobi’s face. It was also Kisame who first met him. Kisame CONFIRMED that the person who he saw in the past that was controlling the 4th mizukage was in fact the current Tobi which he named Madara.

Please reread these chapters.

For the Tobi=Obito fanatics.

Chapter 507 – Tobi first appeared (on Naruto’s Timeline) and talked to Kisame as the 4th Mizukage.

Chapter 494 – TOBI showed Kisame his face and confirmed that he was actually Madara, or at least the one he was taking to on chapter 507.

Now,

Chapter 398 – the Truth?

Chapter 399 – Showed Izuna’s coffin, with him laying there. Also with some Lies.

Chapter 400 – Tobi talking to itachi about helping him with his secret mission >.<

Chapter 401 – Sasuke knows Tobi is lying.

Enjoy!!

• August 23, 2012 at 11:05 amrazi

only sensible explanation ive read so far, not very climatic but at least everything would make sense

• August 23, 2012 at 6:21 amShakaSSP

still believe that Tobi isn’t Obito,
    “I told you not to open your mouth so easily” – Tobi (Ch.597)
    I’m hoping it will be the key,
    because it must meant something,
    hoping that it will be the reason how Tobi have the Aye of Obito.

• August 23, 2012 at 8:35 amTingster013

The Mask Shatters: Yay, finally his mask shatters!!! Damn it, I have to wait for the next volume to see the face?? Dafuq!!!! Maybe next volume is flashback or filler and we may not even see his face…

• August 23, 2012 at 10:22 amYanDaMan

Anyone else noticed that Tobi’s hair is really similar to Yamato’s? Though it can’t really be him, but its just what I noticed.

• August 23, 2012 at 1:58 pmJack

Space-Time Ninjutsu…Tobi can time travel into the past. I bet on that right now! THAT would explain how he could be Tobi and still be Obito!

• August 24, 2012 at 1:37 amCloud

I think tobi is Madara’s creation creature,…his half entity was there (his shell), I don’t know what kind of jutsu it is, and this half madara merge with zetsu (we know Zetsu is as old as Madara). I’m sure that only Kishi knows about this,..hahaha
    Chronology:
    Madara was really severely wounded by Hashirama, but he didn’t die straightly. He woke up after Hashirama leaved the battlefield. Knowing that he would die shortly, he casted kind of jutsus (a jutsu to gather hashirama’s cell and a jutsu similar to kawarimi (oro jutsu) to split himself into two entities (one lived (as a shell), and one died (as a nucleus body) and then summoned by Edo Tensei) then merged the cells and his half entitiy to Zetsu, then Zetsu become black and white just like now.
    Madara planned all the things before he challenged Senju Hashirama, he knew that victory over Hashirama was impossible, so he decided to do his ideals (conquer the world) after the dead of The First Hokage (madara was waiting hashirama death, because he couldn’t beat this guy, and planned to steal hashi’s cells and did all the things we see today).

• August 24, 2012 at 11:52 pmSinTei

I like your theory. It’s possible that Tobi is a clone of Madara using a jutsu similar to the previous Tsuchikage. There is a reason why that jutsu was introduced. Then after the fight, he gained the cells of Hashirama. This theory explains why he had vast knowledge of the past and why he knows everything about Madara and why he introduced himself as Madara. Also for Itachi to call Tobi “an empty shell of his former self (Madara)”.

I think the clone of Madara theory is the best so far.

Obito – Has many holes to the theory. Having the same hair? Zetsu has the same hair as Tobi. And the eyes, they could easily transplant the eyes to anyone in naruto. Kakashi, Ao, and heck even Danzo on his arms. Time travel? Desperate.

Kagami – Same as Obito, Having the same hair doesn’t mean anything. Some guys even thought Yahiko was Minato because they have the same hair. or even Naruto from the future.

Izuna – might be possible but it was shown in the manga that he was dead and he was in a coffin. Refer to chapter 399 for that.

Zetsu – also possible. But with the condition that Zetsu was created by Madara. Or that Tobi is similar to Zetsu. Zetsu should be related to Madara somehow. Along with Tobi. And Tobi and Zetsu are also related. When Tobi was first shown, he was with Zetsu. Also with the white stuff oozing when his arm was torn off. He lost his arm 3 times like it was nothing. With Torune, Konan and the 4th. Zetsu is based on a plant like ability, similar to Hashirama’s powers. We already saw Madara using the same ability as Hashirama.

• August 24, 2012 at 1:50 amCloud

Obito is impossible to be Tobi,…(because The Fourth fight Tobi as an equal, not subordinate level, and Kakashi’s generation was still kids, so did Obito)
    Uchiha Kagami is impossible to be Tobi,…(because Tobi’s eye is at the same dimension as Kakashi’s Kamui (so it’s the same eyes, that is Obito’s eyes, not Kagami)
    Izuna is impossible to be Tobi,…(Izuna was dead long before the truce between Senju and Uchiha)
    Zetsu might be Tobi,…(Tobi’s body is melting whe it’s wounded, no flesh, and it can be replaced when it’s chopped off, the same ability like Zetsu)
    Madara might be Tobi,…(kind of jutsu to splitt body into two entities, when one part couldn’t be saved, the other could lived. Just like when The Fourth split the Kyuubi’s chakra into two)

• August 24, 2012 at 7:16 pmJustinnnnnn

^Most logical theories I’ve seen here. Simple and straight to the point. I agree with you too on your ideas man.

• August 25, 2012 at 6:42 amSaco

One thing that strikes me odd is that the guy who fought Minato has the same eye tecnique has obito and kakashi. Kakashi clearly stated that only them could do the space-time manipulation so either way that guy has to have some sort of relation to obito, maybe is his ancestor or something. But i guess we will find out soon enough so…

• August 25, 2012 at 10:59 amronri

Needless to say……..MY BODY IS READY.

• August 25, 2012 at 12:31 pmAnca

Well, shit. Each time I take a look at Naruto reviews once in a blue moon some other absurd twist appears. Obito = Tobi rofl What next? That Kushina is really alive and helping Madara?

• August 25, 2012 at 10:26 pmMagus

Calling it now, Tobi is Madara’s younger brother. The reason he harvested Obito’s other eye is that he gave Madara both his own eyes to complete the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.

• August 29, 2012 at 5:58 amGary

Latest manga chapter is out, and Tobi is…

• August 29, 2012 at 6:02 amRichein

Tobi is Obito :))) no really….

• August 29, 2012 at 6:19 amraidragon

Tobi is Obito….suck it fanboy

• August 29, 2012 at 7:05 amalde

inb4 obito/tobi can travel in time

• August 29, 2012 at 7:09 amTingster013

I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW IT, SUCKER PUNCH TO THOSE THAT FIRMLY BELIEVE IT IS NOT OBITO!!!!

• August 29, 2012 at 8:38 amYanDaMan

I never cared enough to debate who Tobi was, I always just rather see the reveal. But I cant stop laughing, because reading the comments here, you had this legion of naysayers writing essays on why it cant be Obito (despite evidence in recent chapters saying otherwise, and Zephyr’s assumptions) and insulting anyone who predicted Obito.

All I can say is, LOL. Must feel real good about yourselves now huh? Now suck it up.