Ixion Saga DT – 01 »« JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: The Animation – 01

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! – 01

Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   01 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   02 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   03
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   04 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   05 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   06
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   07 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   08 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   09
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   10 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   11 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   12
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   13 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   14 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   15
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   16 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   17 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   18
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   19 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   20 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   21
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   22 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   23 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   24
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   25 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   26 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   27
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   28 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   29 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   30
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   31 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   32 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   33
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   34 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   35 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   36

「おにあい」 (Oniai)
“Well Matched”

So after a long time apart, little sister Himenokouji Akiko (Kido Ibuki) moves into the dorm where her older brother Himenokouji Akito (Ohsaka Ryota) is living. She’s cute, kind, well-mannered, great at cooking…and a total brocon. Great set up for some hilarity, right? (Or a hentai, but we’re not going down that route.)

Just because I feel like it, I’m going to use a little different format for this post. I’m going to use two bulleted lists, the first of which will list out things I liked about this episode, while the second will be of things I did not. Hopefully somewhere in there you’ll figure out whether this show is for you!

• The imouto Akiko is totally shameless. I’ll admit, I have a fondness for shameless characters…if you’re going to be a brocon (Akiko is), or a siscon (Akito is not), or have a thing for tsunderes (I do), twintails (me again), thigh-highs (that one’s mine too), or lolis (I plead the fifth), then you might as well just admit it! It’s much more fun that way, and as such, most of the fun in this episode came from Akiko going after her older brother…who then swiftly shoots her down. Nice.
  • Speaking of, I like how quickly and definitely Akito shuts Akiko down. Like I mentioned in my first chu2koi post, I like seeing a girl be the ridiculous one while a guy gets to tsukkomi once in a while, since the situation is so often the reverse. It was also pretty funny seeing the other characters abuse Akiko as well. Poor imouto!
  • Speaking of, it’s refreshing that an imouto-love show actually had the balls to make them blood related. None of that step-siblings or really-close-childhood-friends crap, this one is 100% verifiable! That also means that we have a main male protagonist who has a reeeeeally good reason for turning down the main female protagonist. After so many shows where that happens just because he’s thick or spineless, that’s refreshing.
  • The seiyuu cast is pretty good. Strangely enough, most of the star power is in the secondary characters of Nikaidou Arashi (Kitamura Eri), Nasuhara Anastasia (Chihara Minori, and a bit in Sawatari Ginbee Haruomi (Shimoda Asami), whereas the main characters are voiced by comparative nobodies. Still, they all did pretty good, and Akiko was especially cute, so it works. Since I’m not going to mention seiyuu again, I will say that I felt like KitaEri was kind of phoning it in on this performance, though I enjoyed her “Nyahaha!” and her predator mode. Overall pretty good.
  • Fanservice! It’s not the most artfully done service I’ve ever seen (mostly they just focus the camera on different parts of the female characters’ bodies), but the girls are cute, so I’m a fan.

So a good episode, right? Well, not so fast, because there’s another list to go through.

• The plot is so thin you can see through it. Really, there isn’t so much a plot as a setup for the jokes and fanservice, but even that’s barely there. Why were Akiko and Akito separated for so long? No idea. Is there a reason Akiko is suddenly on the student council after just transferring in? Search me. I know those kind of details aren’t important to this kind of story, but I would have liked a little effort paid. I don’t blame Silver Link, though…the source material was the same way.
  • The other girls all just randomly like Akito. Or maybe they’re just flirting with him because they like messing with him (that’s probably the case for at least Arashi), but seriously, what’s the point? I can accept a brocon lil sister if that’s the setup, but giving the guy a random harem just isn’t necessary. My suspension of disbelief, it’s straining!
  • Speaking of, while Akito has good reason to turn down Akiko, he has no such reason with the others. Now he’s back to being a spineless harem lead. Damn.
  • The jokes are pretty amusing, but the pacing was kind of slow. I think they could have made much better use of the material with a higher energy level and more rapid-fire jokes, but I suspect that’s just a stylistic preference of mine. What can I say, I like em ridiculous!
  • The fanservice is a bit too blatant for my taste. Yes, I said that! I just prefer shows like Sora no Otoshimono or Ben-to, where the male gaze (trope!) is justified by a male character who is a bit pervy. Not so much the case here. Someone needs to rein that camera guy in!

So that means it’s a terrible episode then? Once again, not so fast! This show isn’t exactly innovating the genre, but it’s still enjoyable if you take it for what it is. A little bit of funny, a little bit of ecchi, and a sort of casual, low-calorie snack to enjoy between meatier fare. I shant be covering this one, but I will be watching. Yes, the guy who tells people to call himself “onii-chan” is going to watch the imouto-love show. Gasp!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Some good imouto rabu-comedy. Not innovative, but a low-calorie snack to enjoy between meatier fare. Also, fanservice! #OniAi

Random thoughts:

• Yet again another post that will destroy my future political career. Worth it? Absolutely. Imoutos banzai!

Full-length images: 04, 07, 11, 21, 23, 24.

OP Sequence

Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   01 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   02 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   03
Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   04 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   05 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   OP   06

OP: 「SELF PRODUCER」by 茅原実里 (Chihara Minori)

Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   Preview 01 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   Preview 02 Onii chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!   01   Preview 03
October 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm
  • October 7, 2012 at 2:59 pmdeathtogenericshows

Ah ha ha ha! You’re right, Stilts. That camera guy is so perv! With no many crotch/boob shots while the main guy going “huh huh huh, who are these horny girls?? Totally not interested, now if you excuse me, I have a date with my anime/game girl on my computer.” (okay the last bit is an assumption, but probably, since it’s Japan).

• October 7, 2012 at 4:16 pmdeathtogenericshows

oops, I meant “so” many”, not no many there. Damn it typo you!

• October 7, 2012 at 4:54 pmPIGLET

obviously better than half of the shows this season

• October 7, 2012 at 3:09 pmPlayer

I had pretty much exactly the same list of likes and dislikes when I read a volume or so of the novel. I probably like the story best when it’s just the shameless cute sibling antics.

• October 7, 2012 at 7:53 pmStilts

Hey, go with what you’re good at says I.

• October 7, 2012 at 3:11 pmMixed Milkshake

Alright, just another Sis-Con Bro-Con anime, nothing new.
    I’ll wait for my OreImou Season Two instead now.

• October 7, 2012 at 3:20 pmMixed Milkshake

BTW Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai Season Two starts next year in April, Spring Season.

• October 7, 2012 at 3:16 pmDa5id

It’s almost become a requirement for incest harem romcoms to have incredibly unnecessarily long names. KissXSis doesn’t count because they’re not really related, but it’s still crap.

-Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
    -Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!!
    -Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!
    -Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

I’m just kind having trouble wrapping my mind around this new trend. Incest harem romcoms. They’re like regular romcoms except with the goal and endgame being incest and/or the main girl being the MC’s blood related sister.

WHY DOES THIS EXIST. DAMMIT JAPAN.

• October 7, 2012 at 7:39 pmDivini

It exists because… why the hell not?

• October 7, 2012 at 9:32 pmhoiut

It exists because of the psychological “forbidden fruit” effect. That which is taboo is mysterious, tantalizing, desirable.

In a culture so rife with (and to some extent dependent on) the almighty taboo, that makes the reactionary effect all the more pronounced.

(As for other contributing factors, it might be useful to bring up the legality of first-cousin inter-marriage, as well as the omnipresent “childhood friend” syndrome that permeates popular Japanese culture/fiction.)

• October 8, 2012 at 7:02 amBenigmatica

The only thing that you need to worry is combining them (sans Onii-chan no koto…) into a crisis crossover!

Kadokawa has both ASCII Media Works and Media Factory so it’s a possibility that a crossover will happen soon…

• October 7, 2012 at 3:19 pmBaLdUrIaN

My guilty pleasure for this season…

• October 7, 2012 at 9:36 pmhoiut

Indeed. In fact, I am led to wonder how many of us will end up wearing this guilty crown.

• October 7, 2012 at 3:48 pmMM

those body shots. O-O(nosebleeds)

• October 7, 2012 at 3:55 pmNeo

I have read the LN long time ago atleast two volume. As far as I remember only the red hair show up in volume one. Still try keeping this.

• October 7, 2012 at 4:03 pmDaSilva

The protag’s dry wit is like a never ending bounty. I’m going to keep watching until he gives up on applying tsukkomi to every situation. Until then, this should be hilarious.

Does anyone else feel compelled to stare at the little sisters super tight “U” smile when ever it appears on screen? I just can’t look away from the hypno smile.

• October 7, 2012 at 4:55 pmewok40k

OMG Arashi looks like action-show pirate queen lost in a romcom!
    And I like her looks!

• October 7, 2012 at 5:40 pmFiShar

Same here, but she reminded me more on Homura from Senran Kagura. Thanks to that voice acting and the red head.

• October 7, 2012 at 7:51 pmStilts

I look forward to more from Arashi. Despite the probably KitaEri-phoning-it-in, just a lovely character. Plus, it’s been a while since anyone did the “nyahaha!” laugh but me. Hanekawa and now Arashi? I’m in good company!

• October 7, 2012 at 5:31 pmMukyuu

I only picked this up for Nasuhara-chan. I do remember hearing this being a conversation based LN and all…but Nasuhara is lovely.

Oh, and Stilts have you listened to some of Kyoukaisen’s OST 2 since it came out earlier today? Too many good tracks! TOO MANY!

• October 7, 2012 at 7:49 pmStilts

SO TRUE!

• October 7, 2012 at 5:32 pmHibiki

Silver Link trying to be KyoAni? Hell yes.

• October 7, 2012 at 5:56 pmHagiri

Did I read the novel wrong or the show just didn’t follow it? It certainly skipped a lot.

• October 7, 2012 at 7:48 pmHagane

Try reading the novels. The anime’s not quite following through

• October 7, 2012 at 7:50 pmAntics

Oh boy…

The animation is good.
    The voice actors are good.
    The dialogues are being very loyal to the original.

Why in the hell don’t they have more faith in themselves?

They shouldn’t have skipped parts of the novel, it starts a little slow (if you are not into incest and you are more into the harem parts) but it starts getting better and better as the story progresses.

They easily got rid of a couple of twists and from now on everything is going to be flasbacks unless they decide to spoil things further ahead before explaining what the hell happened in the first place.

• October 7, 2012 at 8:20 pmacolyte

I’m not confident there’ll be flashbacks. The skipped parts are interesting for chara development but I don’t see much flashback materials.. Heck, they might end up changing the order of events..

Btw, rather than Oreimo, the bro-sis feels more similar to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, especially considering the 2 MC’s background.

• October 7, 2012 at 8:56 pmJ-Luke

• October 7, 2012 at 9:50 pmStilts

I know, right? That cameraman is such a perv…

*whistles innocently*

• October 8, 2012 at 1:29 amTingster013

feel weird and funny when she was all shy and polite when she is outside and facing strangers, she is totally another person when talking to or about his brother. Her actions after she met her brother, left me wondering where is the “normal” girl on the train going to meet her brother?

• October 8, 2012 at 2:20 amGrandier

This episode did not do a good job of setting up the show – as the LN goes into more detail of the hows and whys of everything that the episode brings up. Though I wouldn’t call Akito spineless, he pretty much gets filed into the average harem protagonists.

• October 8, 2012 at 5:46 amThe Moondoggie

Oh? Another harem? And it’s big-bro complex type, with side dishes. Putting it in my guilty-pleasure list :)

• October 8, 2012 at 7:03 amStilts

You have much to learn, my son. I’m not guilty about watching this at all. :3

• October 9, 2012 at 5:02 amThe Moondoggie

Everyone’s Onii-chan I see…

• October 8, 2012 at 7:23 ambelatkuro

I like the imouto’s mouth that goes (- A -)

Sign me up for watching it just because I can. Who cares if they didn’t explain why they were separated and reunited again, why they’re in a dorm, why they’re living with all the SC members and why the SC members like the male MC. It’s all about the incest and the harem and the fanservice and the misunderstandings.
    *gets downvoted*

• October 8, 2012 at 7:56 amraindeth

BRING ON THE IMOUTOS!

• October 8, 2012 at 8:30 ams_w

“Ok, this is funny… wait. Who are these people? Why did we just skip a WHOLE MONTH?”

Brain-dead anime needs to be more brain-dead. Stop trying to be clever, just be funny. No need for time skips in the first episode. -_-

• October 8, 2012 at 2:47 pmMasterDragonKnight

I have not watched the first episode yet and I probably will not pick up this series, but as soon as I heard the premise, I immediately looked up this review expecting two things:

1. That Stilts will be covering it.
    2. There will be lots and lots of ecchi comments as Stilts drools over the imouto.

And I was not disappointed. Stilts-oniichan no ecchi!

• October 8, 2012 at 3:30 pmStilts

I’m not the ecchi blogger, I swear!

(Drat, they’re figuring me out. Should have jostled Mochi for K to throw them off my scent!)

• October 8, 2012 at 7:11 pmraidragon

ANNA….so moe…HNGGGGGGGGGG!!!

btw why Ginbe sounds like Hideyoshi???

• October 11, 2012 at 4:59 pmmac65

Okay – time to cure everybody of ecchi right now! Doesn’t Akiko remind you of Yune
    (Ikoku Meiro no Croisée) grown up just a little? Ha! Bet that did it!!

I guess if I have nothing better to do, I might follow this. But there are many other
    great starts this season. No kidding, I wish the series began with a little more
    substance – but it is what it is. So, unlike Yosuga no Sora, nuthin’s going to happen,
    and Akiko will be the butt of all of the jokes while nuthin’s happening with the other girls.

• October 11, 2012 at 6:50 pmBeckett

I knew it. Somehow, I just knew when I came to this site looking for the post about episode 1 of this show, Stilts would be the one who wrote it. I just KNEW it.

Anyway the show was okay, nothing too special. When it was funny it was real funny but I feel like this could get old fast so hopefully they have more than this up their sleeves.

• October 11, 2012 at 10:39 pmStilts