Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo – 02
OP: 「君が夢を連れてきた」 (Kimi ga Yume wo Tsuretekita) by Pet na Kanojo-tachi [茅野愛衣, 中津真莉子, 高森奈津美 (Kayano Ai, Nakatsu Mariko, Takamori Natsumi)]
「絵を描いてきたの」 (E wo Egai Tekitano)
“I’ve Painted Pictures”
The key to a great comedy (to me) is deftly mixing a bit of plot progression and character development in with all the crazy antics. This isn’t an absolute necessity, and many comedies do fine without it – there wasn’t any character development to speak of in Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, and that show was hilarious – but I’ll take a show that moves forward a little bit (like Binbougami Ga!) any day of the week. I freely admit that this is a personal preference, but I just find a comedy much more satisfying when I get to the end of the episode having laughed my tail off, but also yes, the story went somewhere as well.
That’s what happened in this second offering of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Comedy was the main focus of the episode, and hoo boy did they do it well! Of everything, there were three bits that shined through with ridiculous comedic light:
- The misunderstanding with Aoyama. This was admittedly more amazing because of the many, many super cute faces Aoyama was throwing out, but…well, no buts! (Except this one, though it’s unrelated.) She won me completely over in a single episode with her hilarious reactions + worrying about how to act around Sorata once she learned the truth. A light dash of tsun for some delicious comedic flavour, yum!
- Misaki attacking Jin. I knew she would do something funny since I noticed that deft foreshadowing (ufufu~ :3), but this scene blew me away. Seriously…BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER!!
- The whole Shiina-asking-Sorata-to-undress-for-her scene. Can you say manservice, anyone? (“Even though you’re in good shape?”, oh my!) I think Shiina is at her best when she’s saying misleading things, but here she kept saying things that should have been misleading, but actually were not! Multiple times I thought they were going to stop, that it would all dissolve into the regular romcom antics, but they just kept going and going, until soon Sorata was sitting on her bed in his boxers. LUCKY MAN.
There was a lot of comedy this episode, so let me say one more thing before I go on. Though the writing, directing, and animation all take large portions of the credit for the hilarity of this episode, mention needs to be made of the excellent job done by the seiyuu, especially Matsuoka Yoshitsugu (voicing Sorata). His top tier tsukkomis really took this episode to another level. It just sounded like he was having so much fun recording his lines that it made me laugh even harder! The others did great too, but especially so for Nakatsu Mariko (voicing Aoyama), who really made her tsundere freakouts work by ramping up the tension (and dipping into Kansai-ben). I’m sorry I doubted you Mariko-chan. Loved it, keep it up!
But as I said at the beginning, not all was hilarity this week. Not absolutely everything, at least. Last episode I said that Sorata seemed to have an inferiority complex, and that came up again. In the recounting of his reasons for quitting soccer (that’s association football, for you non-yanks) he sounded like a young man confronting the reality that he probably wouldn’t become the best in the world at anything, much less in the one thing he wanted to excel at above all else (whatever that is). But it was his realization of just how remarkable Shiina is that will move things forward, and bring us closer to explicitly learning what it is that makes him tick.
There was a surprise part though, and it was with Jin, who appears to have an inferiority complex of his own. My guess is that him feeling normal compared to Misaki is the reason he has never slept with her, despite the fact that she’s the closest girl to him. It’s not that he needs to feel superior to his lady-friends or anything – dumb people don’t become nurses, after all – but that he probably doesn’t think he’s worthy of a genius like her. Poor Misaki…though I do appreciate the fact that we’re getting more than one potential relationship (i.e. avoiding the full-on harem). Poor Misaki-sempai (for now), but maybe she’ll tame her womanizing osananajimi in the end. Be ambitious daio!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Aoyama tsuntsun freakouts, Misaki in naught but ribbons, & Shiina stripping Sorata for art(!?) Also, there was plot. Seriously! #Sakurasou
- I liked how the OP sequence gave us what was basically a 25 second story with Sorata vs the wasp nest. It was a clever way to show off some of the characters’ personalities without dialogue. That + the lively song + the happy picture of them all smiling and covered in paint…well done, J.C. Staff. Well done.
- Atashi, be ambitious daio!
- By the way, did I mention that Jin got the best birthday (present) ever? BECAUSE IT WAS!
- I may or may not have seen nudie flicks that started like this. I AM NOT COMPLAINING. Doujins where?
- Hold her? oh gods. Closer? OH GODS. “Have you ever had sex?” OH MAN, WE’VE GOT A DEFCON ONE HERE PEOPLE!! …oh, but it’s not over yet! Shiina hitting on Sorata? S-SO JELLY! “We’re not sleeping tonight.” HNNNNNNNNNN–!! *Stilts blows a gasket* *dies*