Robotics;Notes – 03 »« Robotics;Notes – 01

Robotics Notes   02   19 Robotics Notes   02   20 Robotics Notes   02   21
Robotics Notes   02   22 Robotics Notes   02   23 Robotics Notes   02   24
Robotics Notes   02   25 Robotics Notes   02   26 Robotics Notes   02   27
Robotics Notes   02   28 Robotics Notes   02   29 Robotics Notes   02   30
Robotics Notes   02   31 Robotics Notes   02   32 Robotics Notes   02   33
Robotics Notes   02   34 Robotics Notes   02   35 Robotics Notes   02   36

「夢と希望とロマンがあってこそ」 (Yume to Kibou to Roman ga Attekoso)
“Because of Dreams, Hopes and Passion”

If I could pick only one thing that I think Robotics;Notes is doing well (and I’m sure there are a ton of things), it’s the introduction of characters and the pacing of the story. I never thought that this was a story that would grip me from the beginning, but it has exceeded my expectations in other areas. For one – I enjoy watching Akiho and Kaito interact. It’s not boring because… well I don’t think Akiho is a boring female character to watch. Much like a lot of female heroines that I’ve seen so far this fall. Kaito is… a good balance for Akiho. He’s not over the top like her and although he’s a bit antisocial, he cares a lot about her and that can be seen in various scenes in the episode. From helping her gain info about Doc and helping her as controller, I think that’s just the tip of the iceberg. They have a whole back story that I’m sure will get revealed a bit at a time. The only thing that was mentioned this episode was her sister (and a promise that Kaito made), as well as her “elephant mouse syndrome” (please correct me if this is wrong… I tried searching this term up and the only thing close is anxiety disorder). The girl at the end also appears to be Akiho’s sister… and I’m worried what’s become of her if she doesn’t even answer her sister’s calls.

We’re introduced to other characters that will play a hand in helping our robotics club make it to the Robo-One. This includes Doc (Fukuda Nobuaki), whose actual name is Fujita Tetsuharu and his granddaughter Daitoku Junna (Tokui Sora). Doc reminds me of scary motorcyclists or perverted men you wouldn’t want to do business with… but he seems like an honest guy just making a living (so no wonder he doesn’t give further discounts to Akiho). On the other hand, Junna is one that might be returning soon to join the club. She doesn’t seem as lively as Akiho (I doubt anyone can be…), but I’ll hold all impressions of her until later. I’ll give her a chance to grow on me. We see returning characters such as the store owner and we learn that she likes making flavored dumplings. I don’t really consider these dumplings… more like pork buns (no they’re not the same!). You can actually find lots of flavored dumpling xiao long bao restaurants though… I’m a foodie, I should know =)

I think the first two episodes have set a great foundation for future episodes (at least from what I can see). There are new club members who have been featured but we’ll see how they get reeled in. There are also mysteries behind the characters themselves and I think I’m more interested in seeing that explored rather than the actual Robo-One. I read a lot of comments of how people compare this to Steins;Gate or ChäoS;HEAd and you are free to make comparisons… but these are all very distinct and different shows in my opinion and people should treat them as such. There may be some overlap, but for people who have not seen one or the other or both, I think Robotics;Notes can definitely be watched on its own. With that all said, I’m not going to push on the subject anymore and just recommend that everyone give it a try without expectations that it’ll be better/worse than S;G or C;H. You might be surprised.

Full-length images: 02, 03, 10, 21, 32, 35, 36.

October 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm
  • October 18, 2012 at 10:25 pml3reezer

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• October 18, 2012 at 11:49 pmvpro

Nope. This is nothing like Steins;gate, no matter what you watched prior to watching this. Get a grip, man.

• October 19, 2012 at 9:43 amdrup

Dunno man, that semicolon is quite significant

• October 19, 2012 at 1:41 pml3reezer

I was referring to the case of deja vu because of the similar incident occurring at the end of both episodes, haha.

• October 18, 2012 at 10:47 pmZPG

Having played the VN and without any spoilers, this Show will surprise all of you. It is gratifying for show like these to be produced now a days.

• October 18, 2012 at 11:57 pmhadouken

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• October 19, 2012 at 3:28 amricz

Lolz I hoped Im not gonna see you commenting “omg” or “wtf” (in the future)
        he didn’t say its like puella but yeah R;N will surprise you … though I dun know how you guyz will interpret it

• October 19, 2012 at 5:51 amD-LaN

Every “;” series start off slow, tropey (YMMV) and slice-of-life until the plot bomb is dropped mid-cour. Patience!!

• October 18, 2012 at 11:02 pmfragb85

So Aki isn’t just a hot-blooded mecha otaku, she can also take apart a robot and put it back together with upgrades. Is there any other quality that makes me like her more?

I’m also happy that Kaito is showing a bit more personality that being a lazy bum. He clearly does care for Aki in his won subtle way.

• October 19, 2012 at 7:21 pmSuppa Tenko

It’s not that hard to take apart a small robot like that and reassemble it. Things are far less complicated when it’s that small. It’s when it gets Gundam sized like Gunbarrel that it becomes super complicated.

• October 18, 2012 at 11:11 pmAnomalous

Aki. Prime waifu material there.

Also, I am happy to report, I have located a vendor for “Skal”. Unfortunately, you have to buy it in bulk…

I regret nothing.

• October 18, 2012 at 11:24 pmSheapy

Thought the male MC was a complete douche bag in the beginning of the episode, but damn. That guy really does care about stuff other than K.B. Love the new development

• October 18, 2012 at 11:26 pmEntrav

This episode is much more interesting than the last. Five minutes in one second o.o Took long enough for Kaito to finally help.

• October 19, 2012 at 12:32 amLightnDark

Frankly speaking, I felt that the general pacing of R;N is a little slow compared to C;H/S;G whereas the latter had some major happenings right at the very first episode. As of now we still don’t really know what is the bigger picture or if there is any evil organization behind the shadows apart from that mysterious girl/robot at the end of the first episode. However I am still going to believe that something huge/sinister is going to happen soon so I’m not too worried about the plot itself aside from its slow start. As a standalone it is definitely watchable on its own but yeah the comparisons are a little inevitable when you have watched either or both C;H/S;G.

Having said that, R;N so far feels more slice-of-life than anything else until the plot elements start to really kick in. Thankfully though Akiho is so endearing to watch! Kaito on the other hand manages to impress me by showing that he actually cares (although he is still shown to be playing KB for literally 90% of his screentime >_>)

Couple of random thoughts:
    -The bike turning physics -_-” I don’t even..
    -We got teased/trolled big time, pantsu where?!
    -That mouse elephant thingy – Reminds me of accel world more than anything else, I mean..time is sped up 600 times? Not quite the 1000x of AW but still..
    - XLB/Dumplings thingy – You sure did your research didn’t you Cherrie..heh :)

• October 19, 2012 at 1:10 amSyouke

…S;G was damn slow in the beginning….

• October 19, 2012 at 2:05 amCybersteel

but it had those cliffhangers like Makise being alive, jelly banana, human is dead mismathch and the mail threats.

• October 19, 2012 at 11:36 amCherrie

No research required – I just love food so this is all lifelong earned knowledge lol
      I do agree that there’s no like “mystery” feel to the story yet… I think one thing that S;G did well was setting up this ambiguity in the air and you could never tell what is real/not real or who to trust… R;N is definitely more of a slice-of-life feel. I don’t mind it though. It’s a break from all the drama/action shows I wrote about in the past ^^

• October 19, 2012 at 7:27 pmSuppa Tenko

I do believe that the Elephant Mouse Syndrome thing means in 1 second, she feels like 5 minutes have passed. Perhaps it will some how become a positive ability in the last half of the season.

Also those passion fruit thingies are called baozi (or baxiang bao). Xiao Long Tan Bao are far to small, only about 2 inches in diameter while normal sized baozi sold in stores are much bigger. Though really, most fillings are disgusting except for red bean paste and pork/chives.

• October 19, 2012 at 7:32 pmSuppa Tenko

After doing some research, I’ve confirmed that Akiho’s elephant mouse syndrome makes time move really fast. So she’d basically experience 1 hour in 12 seconds.

Meanwhile

• October 19, 2012 at 1:51 amsato

damn.. where can i get some of those passion fruit bao?!

• October 19, 2012 at 2:00 amewok40k

Those tsukkomis played by Kaito to Aki’s mecha-bokke are top-notch!
    Aki’s insane optimism is beginning to warp reality or what? Panty shots avoidance system, on!
    Does that store owner have exoskeleton augmenting her legs?
    FRAUKoujiro – who would suspect that behind such nick would be a woman? :P

• October 19, 2012 at 2:03 amCybersteel

• October 19, 2012 at 11:39 amCherrie

Is that a spoiler!? =O
        I’m going to hide it anyway… thanks for answering though Cybersteel.

• October 20, 2012 at 2:11 amKaimax

Some people seems misinformed because of the scene change, but FRAUKojirou is not Akiho’s sister, Misaki

In the original VN

It’s probably omitted or will be shown in the next episode.
      But the scene was purely Akiho trying to call her sister.

• October 19, 2012 at 2:03 amCybersteel

The MC seems a little boring for me unlike those delusional NEET/delusional maddo scientist he seems too normal so far. It seems Akiho is a better fit as an MC.

• October 19, 2012 at 2:09 amCybersteel

I like the show one of my top ten list for this season the second cour would be AWESOME.

• October 19, 2012 at 9:54 amThe Moondoggie

Your two post seems a bit contradictory… But that might just be me.

Anyway love this weeks episode. I feel that the MC is a more refreshing turn from the Delusional reality-warping NEETs and Scientists who involves themselves in time-traveling shenanigans. At first he would seems uninterested, but little by little he’d definitely take on the full role of the MC.

• October 19, 2012 at 2:26 ammac65

At first, I was dismayed at Kaito’s callus lack of passion and support for Akiho, almost, as Akiho said,
    mean-spirited. But I see that is selfish thinking on my part. After watching this episode, I think the
    story is telling us that he’s really protecting her. How? By pretending to be indifferent (maybe) hoping
    that she’ll lose interest and not over-work herself with the outcome of an attack of her syndrome.

Just a theory, though.

Maybe the more attacks she has the more severe they’ll become. (Also, I don’t think we should put a lot
    of salt into the Anime medical diagnosis of Elephant-mouse syndrome, it sounds really impressive,
    but it is Anime.)

So, this series is beginning to look like a (personal) quest adventure for one or both of our main
    characters. There’s a very interesting mix of other characters and situations – I’m interested in
    seeing the significance of the game (that he addicted to) and/or the game’s developer in the story line.
    With that said, I don’t believe the real objective is to complete the robot in the hanger, but (hopefully)
    something deeper and more meaningful, which will ultimately make the series more interesting.

• October 19, 2012 at 2:32 amDawn

Why is Aki so lovable as a character?
    Mecha Otaku
    Likes to bargain
    Easily excited
    Random English

Too many moe qualities.

• October 19, 2012 at 2:59 amsakiu

I really enjoyed first two episodes,

Also finally got my hands on the PS3 version of the game, on top of that limited edition omg, looks fantastic! o_O…

Can’t wait to play it :3

• October 19, 2012 at 3:14 aminkkatako

Instead of comparing this to Stein;gate.This and Little busters! have something really more alike.

-The main character has some syndrome that maybe tie with main plot.
    -Want to accomplish something before graduated from school.
    -The club is moving by people who was friends since childhood.
    -Both are come from Visual novel that the predecessor both doing too good job.Many people expect too many good thing from the later.
    -On-air in same season.the story progressing is nearly in the same pace and both have enough of potential drama and huge surprising plot.

It’s really interesting to see those series take its setting apart from each other completely.Now they’re different because one was baseball and begin with five people.(if you include Kengo).They didn’t take itself too seriously and more focus on character interaction-development.
    But Robotics;notes focus more on club activity while try to add character department in the same time.If you asked me,This is the comparison that you really should look for.

• October 19, 2012 at 11:43 amCherrie

I agree with your comparison actually. LB and R;N are very focused on a group of students trying to accomplishment something and very slice-of-life-like. I’m sure there’s some deep underlying story though and both seem to be related to some phenomena the viewer doesn’t know yet. We shall see =)

• October 19, 2012 at 5:45 amD-LaN

@Cherrie, specifically Xiao Long Pau is the types of Pau that has some gravy inside together with some meat and being smaller than usual Pau. Tht pao looks too big to be Xiao Long Bao lol. Red Pao is more like those Pork Buns tht can come in various filling. (My personal fav is Char Siew Pau)

And yay, Akiho don’t annoy me anymore!! She not just a mecha anime fan, but she actually take apart a robot and rebuilt it!
    Kaito too! He actually cares abt her a lot. (Though I am not too sure wht to take on his comment abt being a replacement for her sis)
    Subaru…. welp I see what u did there :P You will be surprised at him.
    Also, is Akiho tall or Junta being short??
    Hmmm isn’t Akiho sis in the end also appear in the exoskeleton comercial in EP1?? I wonder why caused her to be cold to her little sis??

Lol tht scene where Akiho is unwilling too give Doc the money reminds me of Mr Crab frm Spongebob.
    Also, I LMAO at tht Passion Fruit Pau and Kaito expression. Kurisu got a contender for the title of worse cooking in “;” series XD (Coincidently I drank a passion fruit + tea drink earlier… Its defin taste better than tht)

-PS-
    I prefer the VN ending theme lol. Bonus point 4 being sung by Itou Kanako.
    I found an article on the impression of the VN demo but I got partly spoiled by it so I think I will post it when all the spoiler is being revealed.
    Funny tht no one talked abt those aurora yet cuz I don’t think they appear outside of South and North pole… And its present too on the cruise ship when Akiho passed out in the flashback…

• October 19, 2012 at 12:00 pmCherrie

Lol! Yes, I know the difference between a meat bun and a xiao long bao… I meant to use it as a comparison for different flavored steamed buns =) I love xiao long bao though! It’s so delicious and full of fatty pork (that’s where all the juice is coming from o_o). Not a fan of bbq pork buns… but thanks for explaining in depth! I love talking to people about food… =3 I need my own column on FOOD! <3

I didn't mention the auroras because… well I thought being in an alternative universe, it's ok for them to appear outside the major poles! It's definitely an image that I think will be recurring though. I haven't heard the ending for the VN, but this one as been good so far and I always repeat it ^^

• October 20, 2012 at 2:15 amKaimax

The auroras are real, and will be mention again later. And R;N it’s not in an alternative universe, but the same with S;G and C;H.
        Shown by the Divergence ratio of S;G’s True ending.

• October 21, 2012 at 10:49 ambertman4

Well then, why not? I mean Stilts has his side column. Why don’t you write about various foods in anime as an occasional column? I would read it.

• October 19, 2012 at 4:28 pmfairx

All this robotic competition reminds me of Robocon, but with bipolar female heroine.

Will they start introducing rivals soon?

• October 20, 2012 at 7:18 amRockmanshii

I like this show so far. I like your posts too.

• October 20, 2012 at 7:23 pmCherrie

Awwww… thank you and I’m glad you’re enjoying it ^^

• October 20, 2012 at 5:01 pmvane

This is an anime that was not on my animes list for this season, but after taking a look at these two episodes, I found it really interesting… I really liked it.

• October 21, 2012 at 3:06 pmacolyte

I haven’t played the VN yet, but looking at the wikipedia entry, I’m quite interested how would they drop the plot bomb. This is even later than Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, because this feels like it has the longest ‘nothing wrong is going on’ period.

• October 22, 2012 at 3:28 amSora no Kaze

I can see it, I can see how they literally support each other. Plus the hot-blood of Aki, oh man, it’s so great. Knowing how this type of work turns out from previous shows or being told about the VN (Chaos Head, Steins Gate, etc.), I’m just waiting for conspiracy, plot twist, and such to come out. Now if only we had mech building contest… I would love to join them.