Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 05 »« Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 03

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 04

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   01 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   02 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   03
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   04 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   05 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   06
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   07 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   08 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   09
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   10 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   11 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   12
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   13 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   14 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   15
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   16 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   17 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   18
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   19 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   20 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   21
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   22 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   23 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   24
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   25 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   26 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   27
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   28 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   29 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   30
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   31 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   32 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   33
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   34 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   35 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   36
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   37 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   38 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   39

「痛恨の…闇聖典(マビノギオン)」 (Tsuukon no…Yami Seiten (Mabinogion))
“The Mabinogion…of Regrets”

There were so many good things about this episode! I could list out everything I found funny, but then we’d be here all night because I’d have to talk about out every single scene! (Though I will mention some in the Random Thoughts section below.) Let me just say that the gags in the first part of the episode, prior to the whole dynamic of the show shifting, were the same sort of ones we’ve been getting the last few episodes…but they diminished none in hilarity. The magic circle, Kumin-sempai napping, and Dekomori getting shoved into a locker were all hilarious! I think it was because, though the dynamic was the same, most of the gags were executed n rapid order, hardly ever giving the viewer time to rest before another joke came along. As is with horror, so is with comedy – it’s best to keep the frights/laughs coming quickly, so our brain don’t have time to turn back on and get in the way of the fun. This was done, and it was done well!

The key to the episode was the revelation of Nibutani’s dark past. A lot of you figured this out last week, but Mori Summer is just another way of saying the kanji that make up Nibutani’s given name, Shinka, so the reveal was not a surprise to me. Once again though, this diminished nothing! The key was expectations. Though this is primarily a comedy (so far), I was foolish enough to think that the sensible Nibutani would search Yuuta’s room in the sensible way. Thankfully, I was wrong! Seeing the class’s cutest, most “perfect” girl totally lose her shit was hilarious, and only made better by the fact that we’ve heard Yuuta say the exact same lines! Scary Nibutani, shocked Nibutani…the contrast between her normal “good girl” personality and the true (or just desperate) Nibutani was one of those surprising treats that smacks the funny bone like it’s a three-mile tall gong. I must say, I’m supremely pleased to see that we have another character to join Yuuta in being exasperated at everyone else…and that she’s not cool-headed enough to handle it!

A few quick comments on some storytelling matters. Once again KyoAni showed us some ways to move the story along without ridiculous conveniences, and in mundane and obvious ways that are only surprising insomuch that more writers don’t use them. I had wondered how Dekomori came across the Mabinogion, and worried that it would be some ridiculous contrivance, possibly involving dumpster diving. But Nibutani just having a blog which Dekomori printed out? It’s simple, it makes sense, and it’s perfectly understandable given both Dekomori and younger Nibutani’s chuunibyou-level ridiculousness. Also, I liked that the reason Nibutani joined the group has absolutely nothing to do with Yuuta. I just get tired of girls falling for the main character at the drop of a hat. If that develops, cool, but this was a great way to keep Nibutani around long enough for that to have the time to come about. Really, the only egregiously convenient thing about this show so far was Nibutani seeing Dekomori with the Mabinogion last episode, but I’ll let an occasional one slide as long as most things are justified. Chu2koi has earned that so far.

Last thoughts (okay, we all know that’s a lie). Last episode I said that the battle didn’t work as well as the one in the episode prior, and that I was worried the delusional battle mechanic would get overused. This episode illustrated why the previous one didn’t work as well, while this one did – last time, there were no stakes. Here, just like as with Rikka’s duel with Touka, there were, so even if the action was overblown and silly, at least there was a battle of some sort going on beneath KyoAni showing off their animation budget. And the result…well, a triumphant Dekomori is fine too :3

Now that Nibutani–no, Shinka is in the group to stay (make lots of backups, Dekomori!), the main cast has been assembled. KyoAni did it all smoothly, with none of the introductions feeling like a drag because we were having fun the whole time. Now it’s time to dial up the Kumin-sempai and get to work. Make us laugh more, KyoAni. I dare you!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The nicest, cutest girl in class…ends up losing her shit as her dark past is revealed. Hilarious! XD #chu2koi

Random thoughts:

• I liked the sunglasses behind her eyepatch. Very kakkoii, Rikkachi ^^
  • Strongest. Servant. EVAR!! Bring it on, Iskander. Your match has been met!
  • Anyone who didn’t catch that Dekomori was casting the Dragon Slave has insufficient Lina Inverse in their lives. Fix it. Fix it now!
  • Do I sense a yuri coupling?? *scrambles for his goggles*
  • It keeps saying Dark Flame Master and its going to shoved in the locker again! But creepy references aside, I don’t know if Dekomori knew what she was doing, but that was more than half of the fun! XD
  • Nibutani, you can’t say things like that to a young man. It’s just too much to bear! By the way, I’m talking about me. Yuuta seemed to handle it just fine.)
  • Dat mutual blush was almost as cute as Rikka’s “awu~”. I could loop that all day!
  • This is a time for stealth, aaaaand…SURPRISE SEX!!
  • Man, Yuuta can be really mean. He really is the dreaded Dark Flame Master! >:3
  • How does Chimera stay on her head? o.O
  • In all seriousness, I liked how Yuuta was concerned about Nibutani going overboard…not for her, but for Dekomori. Even if he thinks Dekomori (and Rikka) are bothers, even if he’ll tsukkomi them at the drop of a hat, he would never want to actually hurt them. Good on you, sir!
  • An unjustifiably judgmental Shinka is fine.
  • So wait, Shinka is staying around because of Dekomori. That means if Yuuta (former chuunibyou) and Rikka (current chuunibyou) get together, then Shinka (former chuunibyou) and Dekomori (current chuunibyou)… *whips out his goggles* I SMELL A NEW YURI COUPLE!! *starts shipping furiously*
  • Ohandalso, a catty Shinka is fine too :3

Full-length images: 28.

End Card

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   04   End Card
October 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm
  • October 24, 2012 at 11:57 pmmegalith

Hilarious episode!

I really really liked the direction here. Nothing felt so static.

Anyway did Rikka just discover Yuuta’s source of mana!?

• October 25, 2012 at 9:36 amhaseo0408

To hell with 8 Grade Sydrome, Nibutani has multiple personality disorder!.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:04 pmSuppa Tenko

Waow my exact predictions from last week are true.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:03 amSerapita

I know everyone can see this coming but it’s still very hilarious nonetheless. Gotta love Shinka’s reaction when Yuuta was reading the Mabinogion to her.

• October 25, 2012 at 7:45 amHorus

I have literally fallen in love with Nibutani.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:03 amKurisu Vi Britannia

JUDGEMENT LUCIFER!

• October 25, 2012 at 12:05 amKira526

I loved the emergence of Nibutani’s true character! I agree that it was also nice to see someone join the group for a reason other than liking Yuuta. Not that he isn’t likable or anything ^^ I’m just all for him dating Rikka (now that he’s finally calling her by her first name). The humor in this episode was flawless and nonstop so no complaints here. I kind of want to go around calling people Dark Flame Master because Dekomori makes it look so fun lol.

• October 25, 2012 at 6:23 am*o*

Isn’t it already set that Yuuta will eventually date Rikka? I’m sorry but I dont think this is a spoiler already since Ive even read in most summaries and synopsis about this series where Yuuta decides to leave his past being Chuunibyou and tries to become a reaju and even has a girlfriend know in highschool. Problem is his girlfriend is a current chuunibyou so his life gets interesting to see how he deals with both Rikka and hiding his dark past.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:37 amKira526

Yeah I read that somewhere too! I’m just SO ready for it to happen already lol.

• October 25, 2012 at 10:16 pmPlayer

Yes, it IS a spoiler. Not like I expect great things from random people on the internet, but it’s amazing to find that some people believe that something isn’t a spoiler because tons of other people are spoiling it. Right, if you never stop proclaiming that something isn’t a spoiler, mathematically you will eventually become correct, my bad.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:22 amEntrav

And the hilarity continues… This is a very entertaining episode and the Japanese comments during the video just adds to the entertainment value.

Thank god Nibutani doesn’t fall for Togashi; for once there may be emphasis on actual development between characters before they go the extra step.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:22 amTez

Bitchy Nibutani is much more interesting then sugary-sweet Nibutani.

I can’t wait to see her switch back in forth as the series goes on.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:26 amStilts

I’m getting Binbougami Ga! flashbacks!!

Note: this is a good thing :D

• October 25, 2012 at 8:14 amplushkin

hmmm that’s interesting that you bring that up Stilts, because while I love Ichicko, I’m currently hating Mori Summer. I think the difference is, we learn from the outset that Ichicko is two-faced, but also underneath it all, she has a heart of gold.

With Mori Summer, so far we see a high school cheerleader who is actually a two-faced b-word. lol as if we’ve never seen that before =P

• October 25, 2012 at 3:27 amos

it kinda break my heart to see Nibutani turning into a bitch in 5 minutes.
      luckily, there are still a lot of sweet and cute girls in this show.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:20 amFalmung

The sleeping girl is for you then. lol.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:37 amKelloggs

Turning down Kumin-senpais magic pillow of friendship? How dare she!

• October 25, 2012 at 12:44 amfragb85

Nibutani instantly shot up as my favorite girl. I found her to be the most boring of the girls. The reveal that she’s just a meaner version of Yuuta lends a great comedy dynamic to the group. Poor Yuuta, although at least he’s broken out of his Nibutani fantasies, it really helps that he’s the most grounded character of the cast.

Also a magazine pr0n stash Yuuta? How amateurish, if you were half the magician you claim to be you would know an external hardrive with password protection to be superior to a magazine stash.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:24 amplushkin

That’s what has me wondering though: do we really need another snide and sarcastic member of this ensemble? The comedic duo of Yuuta and Rikka scream classic comedy, but the addition of Shinka is like adding a second Kyon. Do we really need a second Kyon? Rather, do we really need a second Kyon who will constantly be saying, “you’re all a bunch of losers -_-”?

• October 25, 2012 at 8:46 amTez

but it’s not really the same because Yuuta’s comments are based on pity and empathy, while Nibutani is just catty and spiteful.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:05 amfragb85

Except Yuuta is still the only straight man, or “Kyon” as you put it, in the group. Yuuta handles the insanity as rationally as he can, while Nibutani freaks out and reverts to her inner-chuuni and strikes a rivalry with Dekomori. Nibutani serves as a mirror for Yuuta now, only much more exaggerated.

• October 25, 2012 at 10:32 amStilts

What fragb85 said. Yuuta is still the only reliable tsukkomi in the main cast, because Shinka looks like she’s going to freak out and go straight into boke territory. I think that’ll be a good addition, and will add another layer of comedy to enjoy!

• October 25, 2012 at 12:54 amFT5Havok

Now we got the Dark Flame Master, Wicked Eye, Mjolnir Musume and Mori Summers! I wonder what will they call Kumin-senpai? xD

• October 25, 2012 at 1:27 amKinny Riddle

Sleeping Beauty?

• October 25, 2012 at 1:50 amJHN

Narcoleptica?

• October 25, 2012 at 1:53 amKinny Riddle

I believe that one’s more suited for Riki of Little Busters.

• October 25, 2012 at 1:06 amLaplace

“I just get tired of girls falling for the main character at the drop of a hat.”

Maybe so, but now Shinka is just an ordinary bitch, and there are millions of them already, in real life.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:27 amplushkin

I know! Like the popular high school two-faced cheerleader hasn’t already been drilled into our brains enough, now it has to show up in anime too?!

• October 25, 2012 at 10:34 amStilts

I think she’s anything but ordinary. Besides, like Ichiko, I don’t think she’s totally bitchy. She’s just desperate to get away from her chuunibyou past. That’ll receded when she starts hanging out with the other girls (+ Yuuta) and actually enjoying it. For evidence, see: the OP sequence.

• October 25, 2012 at 6:50 pmplushkin

I got it, Stilts! What Shinka needs is a Momiji to her Ichiko. We need a character designed specifically to troll Shinka at every turn, forcing out her inner-chuunibyou with hilarious comedic return. It’s the comedy of Twos, I say!

• October 25, 2012 at 8:11 pmTigerXDragon

Plushkin I am going to go ahead and say Rikka and Dekomori will be those exact characters. They will inadvertently do what Momiji did to Ichika.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:21 pmStilts

Mainly Dekomori, I think ^^

• October 25, 2012 at 1:11 amDualash

I did not expect that 180 degree personality change, and even Nibutani had the same delusions? I’m starting to see the Event Horizon!

• October 25, 2012 at 1:19 amKinny Riddle

Introduce cute girl to main character – check
    Hint at cute girl’s embarrassing past – check
    Have cute girl’s embarrassing past exposed hilariously to delight of audience at expense of cute girl’s decency – check

Ever since K-ON, Kyo-Ani does seem to be getting good at gauging exactly what its audience (or at least its intended target audience) wants.

I do find it ironic that had Nibutani not get so paranoid and decided to snoop around for her dark secrets, nobody would have guessed that she’s Mori Summer. But it wouldn’t be fun if she hadn’t done that.

Kumin-sempai doesn’t get much screentime this episode, but makes up for it in this week’s LITE episode.

One thing Kumin-sempai gets right in her observations: Despite Dekomori’s constant trolling of Nibutani, they really DO “get along quite well”, as is typical with the dynamics of a great bickering anime friendship.

• October 26, 2012 at 7:06 pmMarinerBert

Awesome lite episode, all POV from Kumin senpai. She’s really cute in her own way.

• October 26, 2012 at 8:37 pmStilts

Kumin-sempai is adorable! And yeah, she’s very perceptive, in her scatterbrained way :3

• October 25, 2012 at 1:41 amviss

Is this High School some sort of gathering place for Chuunis? I mean we already known 2 current and 2 ex-chuuni infected victims all from different middle school. Assuming that each school has one or two at most I do say four is quite a lot. Wouldn’t be surprise at all if it turns out this whole school is filled with chuuni/ex-chuuni.

• October 25, 2012 at 7:23 amPietro

I think is is because the school is actually very far from the residential areas where the middle schools of Nibutani and Yuuta were. This would have made it a good place to go for “people with a past” like them. Apart from that, usually birds of a feather flock together.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:08 pmStilts

Like I said, while convenient plot elements and “coincidences” are generally annoying, some are allowable. This one is kinda necessary for the story to work, and it’s one of very few ones, so it’s fine with me. I don’t expect to find tooooo many more chuunibyou…though probably a few. Hopefully!

• October 25, 2012 at 1:52 ambelatkuro

Nibutani is still the best girl.
    inb4 Chuuni Wars

• October 25, 2012 at 6:51 pmplushkin

I lol’d at Chunni Wars…is that like the Clone Wars with Wookies?

• October 25, 2012 at 1:52 ammocha

what happens NOW THAT THEY ARE ALL TOGETHER dun dun dunnnn

• October 25, 2012 at 2:00 amSora no Kaze

Same reaction as I did the last couple of episodes, what I do want to pull towards Nibutani, while she did show us a 180 degree turn in personality, I can’t help but say she will probably have one of the biggest character development. In fact, I can see it, just simply because unlike the other two chuunibyous, she dislikes Yuuta at first, despite both of them wanting to break the mold. Nibutani is slowly going to accept Yuuta for who he is, and see him in a better light. In fact, Nibutani is the classic set up for that girl who dislike the main character only to appreciate him/fall in love with him later kind of act. Not to mention that I already would have probably smacked her head for messing with the room in the first place. I don’t even think anyone would have known that she was Mori Summers in the first place unless they were really trying to pay attention to detail, hence she dug her own hole, especially when Yuuta read out her book.

Meanwhile, I see Dekomori as more hilarious, and the fact that she’s even more over the top then Rikka, makes her that much harder to deal with. Especially for Nibutani. Now that we have Chuunibyou, I’ll only wondering if senpai is also a past Chunnibyou, and just hasn’t told anyone yet. That would truly make the club complete.

Lastly… RIKA!!! WHY THE BAG OF FLOURS, I LITERALLY FLIPPED WHEN SHE DID IT NOT ONLY ONCE, BUT TWICE!!!! These girls… I feel so emotionally attached and invested in them @_@.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:30 pmStilts

I was waiting for a dust explosion to go off each time >_< That’s dangerous, Rikkachi! Be careful!

• October 25, 2012 at 2:06 amPasserby

I feel like Kyoani doing Chunnibyou instead of Little Busters is symbollic of something. Of what I’m not entirely sure. But the two shows make for good thematic juxtaposition.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:06 amCybersteel

Chuunibyou book is published under KyoAni.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:38 amPasserby

That was not really my point, but hey. I was more talking comparing the two shows thematically.

• October 25, 2012 at 2:15 amMutare

Well, we all knew Nibutani was a former chuunibyou, AND WOW THAT 180 CHARACTER FLIP, my illusion of her was shattered, though I must admit she did very well trying to fit in XD

• October 25, 2012 at 4:06 amCybersteel

Imagine BRAAAKER!!!

• October 25, 2012 at 12:12 pmviss

If I were Yuuta I wouldn’t suggest Shinka to play along with Deko’s chuuni. Instead, I would say, “Hay, Nibutani, I you really want Dekomori to hand over all her copies you must first destory her illusion, Touma style.”

• October 25, 2012 at 3:31 pmStilts

Naw, then she’s just call him a loser. Again. XD

• October 25, 2012 at 2:26 amU Doh

The end card shows…
    Even a chuunibyou girl loves to read porn books.

• October 25, 2012 at 2:26 amKinny Riddle

Chuuni/Zero OP2

Expect a remake once more footage of epic battle scenes are shown.

Looking at all these “battle” scene animations so far, you do have to wonder what the quality would be like if it was Kyo-Ani that did Fate Zero.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:35 amc2710

what did i just watch???

that’s just so awesome. you could easily fool anyone with that

• October 25, 2012 at 3:34 pmStilts

I would watch that. I would watch the fuck out of that. It was almost as good as Yuru/Zero!

• October 25, 2012 at 10:49 pmc2710

If there’s a fate/chuuni spin off, i’d instantly follow it

• October 26, 2012 at 6:18 amLayfon

That was amazing!

• October 25, 2012 at 2:45 amFiShar

Rikka trying to look badass with those black sunglass.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:03 ammegalith

First superheroes with colored underwear over pants then Rikka with eyepatch over sunglasses.

A good try for trend setting nonetheless.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:53 amD-LaN

The next Men In Black is moe chuuni. Be very afraid :P

• October 25, 2012 at 9:36 amc2710

We alreadythave Remon from Ano Natsu being one of MIB agents…

I’m guessing Rikka is her protoge

• October 25, 2012 at 3:38 amZen

Delusions so cringe-worthily severe that they induce a state of petrifying stupor in any normal observer…hmm, this show reminds me of a WoW RP server…(Godd*mn Moon Guard/Goldshire) – well, at least this show’s PG-13, more or less…XP

• October 25, 2012 at 4:06 amLGrey

Anyone else notice little difference in the opening? The L/R flashing?

• October 25, 2012 at 4:12 amZhinvu

Had to rewatch it. Yeah the L/R flashing only happens on 1 side now.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:46 amKinny Riddle

Yes, probably even Kyo-Ani themselves found the epilepsy-inducing screen flipping OP too much for their own liking, and so we have a toned down version for easier viewing.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:12 amPasserby

Ironically, if you watch it with only one eye it’s completely fine.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:36 pmStilts

Oh, nice catch! I watched the OP and didn’t even notice that.

• October 26, 2012 at 7:19 pmbertman4

You’re right! I was still mesmerized by Rikka’s movements to notice the change.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:09 amZhinvu

- Looks like Rikka got some payback from last week by hitting Yuuta with a bigger message, with an improvised slingshot even.
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2002.jpg LOL at the Men in Black impersonation you two.
    - Slayers reference FTW! Bless you Sanae.
    - Kumin-sempai sure knows how to steal the show despite not having the most lines in this episode, just by being her usual napping self.
    - Thanks to Yuuta for clearly spelling out the word play on Shinka’s Mori Summer alter ego. While Shinka is now at more than simply just the class’s cutest and all-around good girl, ransacking Yuuta’s room was too much. Can’t believe she was willing to do that so somebody else’s room just to get rid of evidence.
    - Traces of Yasuna were coming out of Shinka when she freaks out.
    - Man Shinka was pounding so hard the ground(and screen) was shaking. First thing that came to mind was (she)HULK SMASH when I saw this http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfmbrrEAi1rgz8h3o1_1280.gif. Then I remembered her rage is towards a Mjolnir wielding blonde. Seeing that calling her tiny ticks Sanae off, which Shinka will maybe capitalize on a lot, gonna expect more “Hulk vs Thor” moments from these two. Shinka will probably lose a lot though, with Shinka’s weakness being her own blog entries said out loud.
    - I guess we don’t need to worry about Sanae getting hurt by Shinka Stilts, with her hard head and all. Shinka found out quite painfully with her headbutt.
    - In addition to how Chimaera can stay on top of her head Stilts, I’m wondering more how much neck strength Rikka has to keep the cat on her head.

• October 25, 2012 at 6:37 amKinny Riddle

Good work observing the Hulk vs Thor link.

And yes, that’s totally Akasaki Chinatsu in her Yasuna-mode when Nibutana lost it completely. Her “Yasuna-mode” reminds me a lot of Toyosaki Aki whenever she’s doing her “Yui” type characters.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:21 amZannafar

Great, now I can’t get the line from the preview from kill me baby out of my head.

“Saa, dou suru, Nibutani Shinka!”

• October 25, 2012 at 4:23 ammegalith

2: Storyboards: Ishihara, Director: Kigami, Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno
    3: Storyboards/Director: Noriyuki Kitanohara, Animation Director: Nobuaki Maruki
    *4: Storyboards/Director: Eisaku Kawanami, Animation Director: Kayo Hikiyama (same as episode 1)
    *5: Storyboards/Director: Hiroko Utsumi, Animation Director: Miku Kadowaki
    *6: Storyboards/Director: Hiroko Utsumi, Animation Director: Miku Kadowaki

* – Animation Do

source

So apparently this was done by the same staff who did ep 1. Wow.. Animation Do is really handling this well. Next episodes will be done by the same staff who did Hyouka ep 21(which sadly wasn’t covered). It strikes me odd that the same Episode/Animation Director are used consecutively. Not to mention 3 episodes in a row coming from Animation Do. Could it be that the main studio studio is currently busy doing something big?

Oh well, aside from that false alarm on FMP news who knows what’s gonna happen next.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:48 amD-LaN

Lol LMAO all the while Chuunibyou is playing. Best comedy of the season IMO. Now I am truly convinced tht those Chuunies own a reality marble invisible to those mugggles lol..

Shinka = Mori Summer was a SHOCKING PLOT TWIST but its still interesting nevertheless. Yuuta has open up the Shinka route XD Congrats. (Dem, now I ship Rikka/Shinka x Yuuta.) Its nice seeing Yuuta have some1 to relate to lol. (Also gimme back the non-bitchy Shinka!!! But I admit she fun to watch though.)
    Nice tidbit on the hair clip to differentiate Chuuni-Shinka and Reform-Shinka.

Hmm…Its seems like Nibutani blog is a place where chuuni gather and/or influence a lot of ppl into chuuni… And chuuni Nibutani sure is channelling some1 here…. (I forgot >.<)

Lol fate/ servant summoning. (Kumin-sempai!!) I wonder wht heroic servant is the closest to chuuni lol.

Why does this reminds me of Keroro Gunsou / Sgt Frog??

EXCALIBUURRRR

• October 25, 2012 at 4:51 amphawq

I’m convinced this is the best series KyoAni has worked on in years.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:46 amG-4L

well look like more cat out of the bags on it.

so yuuta trying to figure why nibutani join in so get both rikka & sanae on some travel book of his give rikka saw his “milk stash”.

yep nibutani jon cause tried find book of mori summer that yuuta got of summer magic cause she wrote & tired keep it her past life hidden.

but sanke got copies if all give calling her a FAKE so cue “battle” keep mention mori summer nibutani keep WHY?!

yea another day “same as usual”.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:48 amstarss

We finally get some character from Nibutani…. and I got to say… it’s not good. She comes off as bitchy once we discover that, yes, she’s humiliated over her own eight-grade syndrome just like Yuuta, which is itself the most predictable paths the mangaka could’ve taken it, and I admit I hate her character more this way.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:57 amVaan

“Love you Forever”

Now my sides hurt…

• October 25, 2012 at 12:10 pmFT5Havok

I died on that scene AHAHAHAHA

• October 25, 2012 at 1:37 pmSaturo

Did I miss something? ^^
      Who said that?

• October 25, 2012 at 3:42 pmStilts

Yuuta’s chuuni-text back in middle school.

Note: do not use that line on real women. It will not work!

• October 26, 2012 at 4:40 pmLayfon

Challenge Accepted.

• October 27, 2012 at 4:40 pmLayfon

Challenge Failed.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:20 pmmegalith

Well at least we know he’s not beta and that thick layered Chunibyou “courage” did help him confess…

The line being Cheesy as hell is another thing.

• October 25, 2012 at 6:00 amKiria

I’m a little disappointed Shinka turned out to have a dark side that was so mean, but I know I’ll grow to love it all the same.
    Yuuta’s expressions again were absolutely priceless. I burst out laughing no matter how many times I watch it!

• October 25, 2012 at 6:10 amPopo

“LOVE YOU FOREVER.”

-Dark Flame Master

• October 25, 2012 at 6:40 amjrj

I guess many have said this already, but I am disappointed at how Nibutani turns out… I guess I am not supposed to look for a “normal girl” to counter balance all the chuunibyou or ex-chuunibyou patients (Yuuta doesn’t count)… so I guess I will jump ship to that strongest servant… sleepy senpai, you are the hope now xD

• October 25, 2012 at 3:43 pmStilts

Kumin-sempai is the normal girl! Uhm, sort of normal…

• October 28, 2012 at 8:37 amKit-A-Ron-Ron-Kat

Normal ? Really ?

Napping as a hobby is something I can relate to, and quite mundane by itself. But our Kumin-sempai here set out to form a club dedicated to that activity (!). Let that sink for a minute: she was seeking official recognition for sleeping at school (granted that’s not the same as sleeping during lessons, but still). It’s like, I don’t know, an anarchist political party getting public fundings. It is not only insane, it is AWESOME !

Also, dat ED of the Lite episodes. Can’t get it out of my head now…

• October 25, 2012 at 6:55 amHagiri

I wonder if Shinka still has her old artifacts stored away like Yuuta does…
    and this really cracked me up,

“LOVE YOU FOREVER.” by Dark Flame Master

• October 25, 2012 at 7:18 amMukyuu

Good ep. imo, this show is needs more Touka-nee-san still! XD

Seriously though…when I saw Rikka with Sunglasses and her eyepatch, OH MAN MY SIDES. I can’t believe that was only in the first few minutes too. Rikka + Dekomori are great together.

Still can’t believe it though…who would refuse a pillow of friendship…? Oh wait Chunnis would, probably believe it to be some power sucking device or something. >_>

Oh and Stilts…tsk tsk, you should always keep your yuri goggles on your head or something, I am slightly disappointed you left them somewhere time consuming to retrieve.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:45 pmStilts

Gotta keep em clean for perfect, crystal-clear shipping! :3~

• October 25, 2012 at 7:26 amKinny Riddle

Dekomori refusing to acknowledge Nibutani as the author of the magick tome which she has been idolising and worshipping may be a satire on how fans of fictional stories can be so engrossed in their fantasies, that any perceived change in story direction or just lost/shifting of interest from the author (perhaps hoping to work on some other story) would be seen as a betrayal, and any subsequent “Word of God” justifying said changes would be ignored as they would be condemned as false gods.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:16 amPockyG

How does it feel covering the one of the most hilarious/best animes in history Stilts? Lulz per minute (LPM) of this series is insane. Funniest KyoAni anime ever. Even better than Fumoffu and that’s saying a lot.

• October 25, 2012 at 12:17 pmmoridin84

This isn’t Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo blog post.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:46 pmStilts

Zam! No, but seriously, I lucked out this season. Getting to cover such awesome shows!! *squeals*

• October 25, 2012 at 8:48 ameuler271

what was that scene at the beginning then? shinka was just toying with the poor guy? kawaiso dark flame master. XD

• October 25, 2012 at 8:58 amrh75

Yuuta, word of advice man.

Put Nibutani in the dog house and leave her there. Ignore the sad, puppy dog eyes that she’ll shoot your way from time to time and remember her true nature. You’ll never know if the whimpers will turn to a biting of the hand. Hopefully, you won’t fall back onto the delusions of her being interested in you since she stated she wasn’t with her true personality. Once someone shows they are two-faced, you’ll never be able to trust what is being shown to you.

Stick with Rikka, she won’t hurt you.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:47 pmStilts

I agree that he should stick with Rikka, but in my experience most people are two-faced. Besides, Yuuta himself freaked out on Rikka pretty bad back in Episode 1, so it’s not like he’s immune to it himself.

Still, Rikka is the superior choice for Yuuta for sure :3

• October 25, 2012 at 9:09 ameuler271

totally agree with that.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:11 amZannafar

Dekomori casting the Dragon Slave just cracked me up.
    But wait…
    If Dekomori is Lina Inverse, does that mean Nibutani is Naga the Serpent?
    I demand fan-art of that! Now!

• October 25, 2012 at 3:48 pmStilts

Seconded!

• October 26, 2012 at 1:01 pmGreg

When I watched the episode I thought those lines sounded very familiar. :)

• October 25, 2012 at 9:17 amMegas

Leaving aside the ridiculously hilarious episode & the bitchy Shinka, I think Rikka will have to wake up from this disease by the end of this – that’s the only way this series can move on to the point where Yuuta can see Rikka as a love interest, instead of a puppy on a leash which runs off every now & then. It’ll be fine even if she doesn’t recover but those antics might get a bit boring near the end.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:21 amNeo

-I like the special effect in the club room.
    -How could there are no screenshoot of Rikka and Dekomori trying to open portal to another dimension.
    -I like how they open the portal to delusional battle.
    -Dekomori defeat Shinka using talk-no-jutsu.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:33 amBear

Seeing Yuuta in pain from his memories is hard for me to watch, but after seein Nibutani’s true personality I’m going to watch her suffering with a lot of enjoyment.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:41 amc2710

Oh man… Rikka’s sling-shot gun is exactly similar to the one I confiscated from my student.

But that aside, the show left me in stitches and fake Forest Summer had her cute levels went up by a few notches

• October 25, 2012 at 12:15 pmCybersteel

IMPOSSIBIRU

• October 25, 2012 at 9:43 amnagi

I love the detail of KyoAni, even drew in that Yuuta fixed his bookshelf after Rikka snapped it in half.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:45 amPassingThrough

Everyone involved in the making of this anime is clearly having a lot of fun. Love you forever, guys.

By the way, it feels like there is something different watching this after watched Sucker Punch. I can’t stop imagining these girls fighting mecha with their respective delusional phantasms. Hey, is that a good idea for a fanfiction?

• October 25, 2012 at 11:01 amgawrshness

with that said Tsuyuri is the only ‘normal’ member of the group; she’s there for the lols and some nap while she’s at it. Ah it would be hilarious if Touka gets her hands on some of Shinka’s ‘Forest Summer’ voice.

• October 25, 2012 at 11:03 amGermanguy

I Dunno, i can not “read” the Red Line so far. Sure it is Funny to Watch (and i still stick to it). But from the “Story”, i dont get a grip until now…. And i only need 2-3 Episodes to figured it out…

Thia Anime outsmarted me :)

Perhaps i should just enjoy this Funny Parts and Imagine Fights ot the Girls :)

What would they say? “it is a No Brainier, just enjoy the Show!”. They are right :)

• October 25, 2012 at 11:04 amharo

come to think of it, Rikka’s seiyuu also starred in another delusional series, akibarangers.

at least this show isn’t going thru the usual harem route. the only noticeable flag triggered so far is Rikka’s. the rest will most likely end up as Dark Flame Master’s allies.

can’t wait for the delusional battle for DFM. BURN EVERYTHING WITH THE FLAMES OF DARKNESS.

• October 25, 2012 at 3:53 pmStilts

Agreed on both counts. Especially the time we finally get to watch Yuuta go all Dark Flame Master in a chuuni fight. Can’t waaait!!

• October 25, 2012 at 12:13 pmFadingMoon

“With our past and future lives in mind, I have filled this text with all the magic I could muster. Love you forever”

-Dark Flame Master

just priceless

• October 25, 2012 at 3:35 pmJulio

There was a scene outside that reminded me of how Hyouka looks like.

• October 25, 2012 at 4:27 pmmac65

Again, the art is top notch in this episode!

I don’t know if I feel happy for him or sad for him… Yeah, he’s off to a good
    start with a harem, but is this the kind of harem a guy would want???

Nibutani is the kind of a girl to be avoided at all costs – and I hope she becomes the
    butt of many a joke. I suspect we’ll see her do “battle” again before the series is done.
    Such a marked antagonist – a clear dissenter in the circle, but I suspect already,
    someone not to be taken too seriously (mainly because of her gullibility -
    did Yuuta tell her to battle as a form of revenge for betraying his trust?) I mean,
    after all, her revelation that she’s not in the least interested in him, a little mischief
    making in him, perhaps….

Anyway, she ain’t getting my (autographed) copy of the Mabinogion!

• October 25, 2012 at 4:28 pmPasu

• October 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm†Croos†

OMG! I was right.

• October 25, 2012 at 5:53 pmShadow74

Aniki Stilts, I worry that you see yuri couples without rason some, worse and think of yaoi, incest or … wait … o_o … you said it saw “Oniichan Dakedo”?, oh no, the perversion of Aniki-Stilts grew!
    No, enough of jokes (really bad). Thank you very much for posting, really fun anime and his blog, good job Stilts. I look forward to the next episode

• October 25, 2012 at 9:55 pmStilts

TBH, I don’t actually yuri ship that hard. I just noticed the first picture and thought it’d be a fun joke to make ^^ But shhhhh, don’t tell anyone!

• October 25, 2012 at 7:19 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Wow, Shinka is channeling Tsukasa, lol.

• October 25, 2012 at 7:38 pmskylion

Good gravy. I was quite afraid that they would reveal Shinka as a “reformed” chu2; but the way they played into expectations in making her not just that, but the Raging Chu2 Queen was just masterful. And shooting down any relationship between her and Yuuta at the same damn time was just puddi after the meal.

I predict an all out battle royale between all four by the end of it. And the Napping Princess will be the one to tell the tale.

THIS. IS. CHUUUUUUUUUNIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!1two.

• October 25, 2012 at 7:48 pmPi Face 314

I’m trying to figure out what “*starts shipping furiously*” means.

• October 25, 2012 at 8:21 pmKaosu

“Doing what, Dark Flame Masterrrrrrrrr…..r?” o.o?
    “Dark Flame Master!” ^_^
    *gets shut in locker*

Oh Yuuta XD It would be hilarious if Dekomori made a copy of his “Yami Note” after he handed it over to her and Rikka >:]

• October 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm†Croos†

@Stilts
    I bet there were many caps you wanted to included here.
    It must have been hard to chose in between of all of them.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:56 pmStilts

YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I originally took like 200+ caps. I…may have a problem :X

• October 25, 2012 at 9:39 pmG-4L

so now with nibutani pulling a toradora’s ami kawashima & sakura ichigo’stittyko on everyone sure let see what she might pull next?

• October 25, 2012 at 10:19 pmAkumaten

• October 26, 2012 at 8:01 amStilts

And a neko too :3

• October 25, 2012 at 10:22 pmRiilme

After watching this week’s Chu2koi episode and ONA, I can’t help but think about something like this about the dynamics between the casts:
    Rikka = Yui
    Shinka _ Mio
    Kumin = Mugi
    Dekomori = Ritsu
    Yuuta = Azusa

• October 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm†Croos†

I just wanted to post this gif.

• October 26, 2012 at 12:15 amGiovanni

I don’t get some of the negativity towards Shinka’s hidden character—I thought she was hilarious and her actions quite understandable. She wants to escape her chuunbyou past (which is arguably a little worse of than Yuuta’s since she took hers online which as many of us know never forgets anything) and is willing to do go as far as she needs to do that–she’s not being mean for its sake alone; when Sanae started “crying” she looked like she felt pretty bad about it. Most of the “bitchiness” is, I think, coming more from her embarrassment over the kind of person she was before than any mean-spiritedness and Sanae’s lulzy character isn’t helping her situation. She’s not trying to fool everyone for the sake of some advantage or out of some sense of superiority–she just wants to forget her past.

• October 26, 2012 at 3:13 amTingster013

This show have shown me 2 proverbs.
    1. A leopard can never change its spots.
    2. Bird of the same feather flock together.
    There is NO escape, Yuuta. NO ESCAPE!

• October 26, 2012 at 8:12 amKinny Riddle

That would make Kumin-sempai the odd one out though, though she’s quite eccentric herself, she’s still grounded in reality instead of actually believing she’s living in some Quixotic Chuunibyou delusion from her mind.

• October 26, 2012 at 5:26 ammegalith

Hmm I’m quite curious how Nibutani will convince Dekomori that she is indeed Mori Summer.

• October 26, 2012 at 7:10 am†Croos†

When she already has a real power before them I guess.

• October 26, 2012 at 10:15 ammoridin84

She obviously won’t. So she’ll have an excuse to stay there forever.

• October 26, 2012 at 7:57 pmbear

The one way I can think of is not to convince her that she’s Mori Summer but to get on line as Mori Summer in her blog and convince Dekomori to destroy all the copies because that is the only way to save the world. She was on the right track with the battle, but she couldn’t keep it up. Dekomori should believe her online persona.

• October 26, 2012 at 8:22 amKinny Riddle

Kyo-Ani just has full of Easter Eggs in this series.

It turns out Dark Flame Master’s catchphrase “Be engulfed by the flames of darkness and begone!” is actually taken straight out from Tales of Destiny 2, the original quote being uttered by Judas (voiced by Midorikawa Hikaru in the anime FMV inserts).

• October 26, 2012 at 10:22 amCybersteel

Where do you think Yuuta got the phrases from a game of course

• October 27, 2012 at 5:37 amThe Moondoggie

That magic circle scene could be anything but I feel like it’s more like FMA….

• October 26, 2012 at 9:26 amSmithCB

An incredible number of comments on this. Great!!!! What I’d like to see is an argument between Yuuta and Nibutani that devolves into a Chuunibyou battle every bit as heroic as that of Rikka and her sister, with Rikka and Dekomori looking on. THAT is something I’d pay to watch! It would be cathartic and maybe a step toward making peace with themselves. Nana-chan sensei is the balance level Yuuta is looking for, not trying to violently suppress the fantasies, yet accepting that they exist. I guess the word I’m looking for is ‘maturity’, and it doesn’t come easily to a teenager. Light! Dark! Coil upon me! Bring Truth, Bring Right, Bring…er, where was I? Hummmph. Never mind….

• October 26, 2012 at 10:06 amlegwkio

Something that I would like to see that probably won’t happen:

A Haganai, or more specifically, a Kobato Hasegawa cameo. Wouldn’t you like to see Reisis VI Felicity Sumeragi face off against the Dark Flame Master and friends?

• October 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm†Croos†

I can’t wait until Dark Flame Master says the “Burst Reality” line(if that happens that is). It might be like Leleouch or something.

Anyway jrj found something interesting:
    Code Geass X Chuunibyo video

• October 26, 2012 at 8:44 pmjrj

croos, thanks for posting that vid here… it is quite funny xD
      in case anyone want to watch it and is distracted or annoyed by all the floating comments, just click on that talk bubble looking icon on the time bar once to turn off the comments :)

• October 27, 2012 at 5:35 amThe Moondoggie

I remember one poster here wishing she too had an 8th grade syndrome. Looks like his/her wish got heard! have a cookie, mysterious-poster-I-can’t-remember! :)

Anyway so she’s like what? A White Mage in her imagination? Forest Summer, was it?(how do you translate “Mori”?)

• October 27, 2012 at 7:08 am†Croos†

森(Mori/Forest)
      夏(Natsu/Summer)

Therefore Mori Natsu or Mori summer or Forest Summer

• October 27, 2012 at 5:44 amLeticia

Hahaha, Nibutani’s transformation was so hilarious, now I like her more! And the rest of the characters are so unique, I love this series!

• October 27, 2012 at 8:54 amLiche

Best reaction SHOT ever.

• October 27, 2012 at 2:49 pmposeidonhands

i wanna see Yuuta fight as
    DARK~KUU FLAMUU MAS~TTAA