Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 04
「痛恨の…闇聖典(マビノギオン)」 (Tsuukon no…Yami Seiten (Mabinogion))
“The Mabinogion…of Regrets”
There were so many good things about this episode! I could list out everything I found funny, but then we’d be here all night because I’d have to talk about out every single scene! (Though I will mention some in the Random Thoughts section below.) Let me just say that the gags in the first part of the episode, prior to the whole dynamic of the show shifting, were the same sort of ones we’ve been getting the last few episodes…but they diminished none in hilarity. The magic circle, Kumin-sempai napping, and Dekomori getting shoved into a locker were all hilarious! I think it was because, though the dynamic was the same, most of the gags were executed n rapid order, hardly ever giving the viewer time to rest before another joke came along. As is with horror, so is with comedy – it’s best to keep the frights/laughs coming quickly, so our brain don’t have time to turn back on and get in the way of the fun. This was done, and it was done well!
The key to the episode was the revelation of Nibutani’s dark past. A lot of you figured this out last week, but Mori Summer is just another way of saying the kanji that make up Nibutani’s given name, Shinka, so the reveal was not a surprise to me. Once again though, this diminished nothing! The key was expectations. Though this is primarily a comedy (so far), I was foolish enough to think that the sensible Nibutani would search Yuuta’s room in the sensible way. Thankfully, I was wrong! Seeing the class’s cutest, most “perfect” girl totally lose her shit was hilarious, and only made better by the fact that we’ve heard Yuuta say the exact same lines! Scary Nibutani, shocked Nibutani…the contrast between her normal “good girl” personality and the true (or just desperate) Nibutani was one of those surprising treats that smacks the funny bone like it’s a three-mile tall gong. I must say, I’m supremely pleased to see that we have another character to join Yuuta in being exasperated at everyone else…and that she’s not cool-headed enough to handle it!
A few quick comments on some storytelling matters. Once again KyoAni showed us some ways to move the story along without ridiculous conveniences, and in mundane and obvious ways that are only surprising insomuch that more writers don’t use them. I had wondered how Dekomori came across the Mabinogion, and worried that it would be some ridiculous contrivance, possibly involving dumpster diving. But Nibutani just having a blog which Dekomori printed out? It’s simple, it makes sense, and it’s perfectly understandable given both Dekomori and younger Nibutani’s chuunibyou-level ridiculousness. Also, I liked that the reason Nibutani joined the group has absolutely nothing to do with Yuuta. I just get tired of girls falling for the main character at the drop of a hat. If that develops, cool, but this was a great way to keep Nibutani around long enough for that to have the time to come about. Really, the only egregiously convenient thing about this show so far was Nibutani seeing Dekomori with the Mabinogion last episode, but I’ll let an occasional one slide as long as most things are justified. Chu2koi has earned that so far.
Last thoughts (okay, we all know that’s a lie). Last episode I said that the battle didn’t work as well as the one in the episode prior, and that I was worried the delusional battle mechanic would get overused. This episode illustrated why the previous one didn’t work as well, while this one did – last time, there were no stakes. Here, just like as with Rikka’s duel with Touka, there were, so even if the action was overblown and silly, at least there was a battle of some sort going on beneath KyoAni showing off their animation budget. And the result…well, a triumphant Dekomori is fine too :3
Now that Nibutani–no, Shinka is in the group to stay (make lots of backups, Dekomori!), the main cast has been assembled. KyoAni did it all smoothly, with none of the introductions feeling like a drag because we were having fun the whole time. Now it’s time to dial up the Kumin-sempai and get to work. Make us laugh more, KyoAni. I dare you!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The nicest, cutest girl in class…ends up losing her shit as her dark past is revealed. Hilarious! XD #chu2koi
- I liked the sunglasses behind her eyepatch. Very kakkoii, Rikkachi ^^
- Strongest. Servant. EVAR!! Bring it on, Iskander. Your match has been met!
- Anyone who didn’t catch that Dekomori was casting the Dragon Slave has insufficient Lina Inverse in their lives. Fix it. Fix it now!
- Do I sense a yuri coupling?? *scrambles for his goggles*
- It keeps saying Dark Flame Master and its going to shoved in the locker again! But creepy references aside, I don’t know if Dekomori knew what she was doing, but that was more than half of the fun! XD
- Nibutani, you can’t say things like that to a young man. It’s just too much to bear! By the way, I’m talking about me. Yuuta seemed to handle it just fine.)
- Dat mutual blush was almost as cute as Rikka’s “awu~”. I could loop that all day!
- This is a time for stealth, aaaaand…SURPRISE SEX!!
- Man, Yuuta can be really mean. He really is the dreaded Dark Flame Master! >:3
- How does Chimera stay on her head? o.O
- In all seriousness, I liked how Yuuta was concerned about Nibutani going overboard…not for her, but for Dekomori. Even if he thinks Dekomori (and Rikka) are bothers, even if he’ll tsukkomi them at the drop of a hat, he would never want to actually hurt them. Good on you, sir!
- An unjustifiably judgmental Shinka is fine.
- So wait, Shinka is staying around because of Dekomori. That means if Yuuta (former chuunibyou) and Rikka (current chuunibyou) get together, then Shinka (former chuunibyou) and Dekomori (current chuunibyou)… *whips out his goggles* I SMELL A NEW YURI COUPLE!! *starts shipping furiously*
- Ohandalso, a catty Shinka is fine too :3
Full-length images: 28.