Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 06 »« Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 04

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 05

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   01 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   02 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   03
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   04 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   05 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   06
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   07 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   08 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   09
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   10 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   11 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   12
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   13 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   14 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   15
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   16 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   17 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   18
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   19 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   20 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   21
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   22 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   23 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   24
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   25 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   26 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   27
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   28 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   29 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   30
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   31 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   32 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   33
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   34 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   35 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   36
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   37 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   38 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   39

「束縛の…十字架(ハード・スタディ)」 (Sokubaku no … Juujika (Hado. Sutadei))
“The Shackles…of Studying Hard”

Romance engage! As expected (and hoped, oh so dearly hoped!), now that the cast is all together it’s time to pivot into romance-mode. It’s starting light – just a little, just a taste! – but I can already feel the ramp up that is to come. This is good, subtle, and slow, allowing us time to taste the gentle wonder of an innocent new relationship blossoming amidst the streets and hallways of youth. Lean back and let it sink in, let it suffuse you…this is some good juju, my friends.

As my overly dramatic intro would seem to indicate, there were a lot of good things about this episode. The humour was still there, and it was funny, but it wasn’t punching as hard as it was in past offerings – the laughs I gave were more from deft execution of jokes than big unexpected reveals, like how they quickly whipped out Kumin-sempai’s pencil gambit, only to have it fail with lightning speed a few seconds later. Great stuff!…but it didn’t have the punch of prior episodes, which were comedy bonanzas. No worries though, because any show that has super smart Dekomori and Yumeha and Touka getting divorced is still punching way above its weight class. “Not as good” for chu2koi is still far above what other show’s can manage, so I’ll take it with a smile on my face.

No, where this episode shined was in the subtle changes of the characters, both hinted at and shown. First of all were the changes in our two chronically embarrassed former chuunibyous, Yuuta and Shinka. They still protest about it so much…but as Kumin-sempai so perceptively pointed out, Shinka apparently complains (albeit off-screen) about cheerleading more than anything else, while Rikka and Dekomori are having a lot of fun being chuunibyou. Be true to yourself, young ones! But that’s coming, because though Shinka may protest, she keeps hanging out with this hobby group that she doesn’t even technically belong to, and Yuuta had his moments of reverting to chu2-mode before he realized and stopped himself. They’re still tsundere, they still protest…but I think they’ll learn to play along more and more, at least among their little group.

But the real treat was the soft, sweet moments that the threat to their chu2 society brought about between Yuuta and Rikka. We all knew the reason Yuuta wanted to stop being chuunibyou – embarrassment aside, he wanted friends. He was lonely. He was never lonely at home though, not with a family like his. Alas, that’s not something that Rikka has. That’s not a slight against Touka – she has to work, and apparently quite long hours at that. Yet even so, Rikka spends the nights alone. Yuuta may have helped solve Rikka’s loneliness problem during the day – and his own as well, by the way – but not the one at night. Here we saw glimmers of that.

Fortunately, Rikka is beginning to open up not only to Yuuta, but Shinka and Kumin-sempai as well. That’s what made Yuuta realize – it made him realize what he had in this group, or more correctly, what Rikka had, and needed. Determination, engage! Yuuta is a good guy, and he shows it in moments like these, where he does what is needed – like bribing Rikka with little chu2 treats to keep her studying – to teach her enough to clear this challenge. More than his lapses back into chuunibyou-mode, that’s what makes me think he’ll come to fully embrace his past, to accept it, and maybe even play along a bit, at least among his friends. And if not, he can always just embrace Rikka :3

And it looks like that’s what we’re heading for! At least by the looks of that last scene. Ohhhhhh man, so silly, but so cute! Like with the other show I’m covering this season, chu2koi deftly used warm pinks and yellows and a light, cheery glow to cast an idealistic air about the scene. It sucks you in and sets you adrift in the lake of innocent emotions flowing out of the screen. Any episode I end with a heartwarming smile on my face and an uplifting sense that the world really is kind and loving is a good one in my book. This is one of those. Case closed!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – As the tsundere frost melts from Yuuta & Shinka, Rikka’s loneliness is swept away with it. Divine Exseed Freya Magna!! #chu2koi

Random thoughts:

• The best baka around, supported by the best cheerleader. Nap time, ra ra!
  • Panicked Rikka is adorable. Awu~
  • Punishing Dekomori is one thing, but don’t hurt Naptime-sempai, Shinka! You deserved to get sleep insulted and accidentally judo chop the ground >:
  • Seriously, I loved Shinka and Yuuta losing faith in the world because Dekomori is at the top of her class. Also, dat evil laugh! GEHUHUHUH >:D
  • I liked how Rikka subtly expressed her disapproval that Yuuta was paying too much attention to Shinka. D’aaaww!
  • Say what you will, but Dekomori has skills.
  • Seriously, not sure who is making the biggest mistake between Touka and Yumeha. I know if I were married to Touka, there’s no way I’d let her get away! As for Yumeha…well, if she’s going to turn out anything like her mother or sister, give her (quite) a few years and the same applies!
  • Chu2 test-o? I wasn’t sure how they were going to work chu2-mode into this episode, but that was an innovative one. I’ll admit, I laughed!
  • It was so cute how Rikka had to run off and mail Yuuta her thanks. D’aaaww, she’s embarrassed! But we still got the sweet smile at the end, so all is well in the world. D’aaaaww x2!

Full-length images: 16, 22.

End Card

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai   05   End Card
October 31, 2012 at 9:36 pm
  • October 31, 2012 at 9:43 pmNadester

I can’t help but laugh at every episode of this series. XD

• November 1, 2012 at 2:42 ammegalith

Agreed. This series even though it was starting to develop Rikka and Yuuta’s relationship managed to deliver hilarious scenes.

Anyway pardon for the out of line comment but I need some opinion about something I’ve noticed.

Anyone else here noticing Rikka’s getting jealous at some point(or even possessive)? I’ve already tried to bring this up on animesuki but I guess I wanted to see more opinions about this matter.

I’ll just reiterate it here.

Basically I wasn’t really getting this notion up until the ep 3. People were saying the reason why she kept putting up a defensive stance during Kumin’s and Nibutani’s introduction. I’m not really inclined on thinking that it is a form of possessiveness but rather a gag regarding her Chuunibyou.

However I noticed something strange during ep 4. Notice how Rikka’s reaction was when Yuuta got punished. It depicts her mocking Yuuta. However when the focus shifted to Nibutani her expression was completely different. I didn’t know what to make off it since I thought these two cuts had errors on their part hence why I never really bothered to bringing up.

To my surprise Rikka does something odd again in a particular scene of this episode. She lightly tags Yuuta with the stick end of the brush and just said her hand slipped then continues to brush the pool floor. I found it less subtle than usual.

Anyway what do you guys think of that scene in ep 4? An error or not?

Although now that I look back at it and disregarded the gag, Rikka’s line on the scene where she finds Yuuta’s dirty magazine saying

you shouldn’t be looking at stuff like this

it now suggests a different thing with this notion.

Oh well that’s that. Hope to here some opinions if I’m just blowing things out of proportion.

• November 1, 2012 at 8:01 amKarmafan

I definately see a triangle forming between Yuuta, Rikka, and Shinka.

I did not expect this series to be so good. Same with Girls Und Panzer, Kamisama Hajimemashite, and Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo.

• November 1, 2012 at 8:37 amStilts

Yeah, she’s jealous. I don’t know about a triangle, though. I’m not sensing any rabu-rabu from Shinka at all…which is how I prefer it. Not every girl has to fall for the main character, after all!

• November 1, 2012 at 10:29 ammegalith

I definately see a triangle forming between Yuuta, Rikka, and Shinka.

I don’t see that happening. Well if six episodes(when next episode airs) in and we’re already clear of Yuuta daydreaming about Nibutani, then that’s that. After seeing Nibutani’s true color I don’t think Yuuta’s gonna pull anything stupid.

• November 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm†Croos†

@Stilts
        I think Shinka will develop feels if Yuuta tells her that being Chuunibyo is embarrassing but “being yourself isn’t bad”.
        I’m just guess what might possibly happen.

• November 1, 2012 at 5:30 pmKarmafan

In To Love Ru the main character is in love with 2 girls at the same time (Lala and Haruka). I just don’t see Yuuta being such an important person to Rikka and she not feel bad that he likes Shinka.

Then again most likely Yuuta will end up with no one as thats how these series usually go.

• November 2, 2012 at 5:04 amWTFisThisSHIT?!

@Karmafan: Would be more interesting in order to see more of Rikka’s jealous sides and see Shinka’s dere side, but as the title of the show and even a lot of the synopsis that came out for the series, it’s already set that Yuuta will date Rikka. The title of the show is: ” She’s a Chuunibyou, but I want to love her!” and Rikka is still a chuunibyou whom is close to Yuuta, dekomori is only friends with Yuuta, and Shinka barely talks to Yuuta directly even now that Yuuta knows her past and she as well knows his.

• November 3, 2012 at 1:40 amColentas

It’s obvious that him and Shinka are in two near-identical situations. This is just a recipe for a love triangle with the crazy opposite. There’s no way this show will finish without Shinka showing some (probably rather obvious) feelins for Yuuta.

Unfortunately for her, opposites attract. Yuuta x Rikka!

• October 31, 2012 at 9:51 pmDualash

I can see the answers… not.

• October 31, 2012 at 9:58 pmdimasok

This childhood innocence is unfortunately what is robbed from adults when they grow up.. so, eigth-syndrome or not, as long as they’re happy and grow to like one another, that’s a recipe for success at any age even if their antics remain the same

• October 31, 2012 at 11:23 pmStilts

*wipes away a tear* So true!

• November 1, 2012 at 9:10 pmShadow74

That sentence touched my heart, my friend T_T

• October 31, 2012 at 9:59 pmEntrav

DARK FLAME MASTER STRIKES AGAIN!!!

• November 1, 2012 at 8:57 amAni_BEE

I can’t get enough of Lelouch I’m mean DARK FLAME MASTER!!! with such and awesome voice why hid it. lol

• October 31, 2012 at 10:09 pmPopo

POOL VERSION SHINKA. SKFJSKDFKDFSN MY HEART

• November 1, 2012 at 1:20 amPtolemaios00

MORI SUMMAA!

• October 31, 2012 at 10:12 pmDarkuFlaimeMeister

(Dat Smile) OMG, MY HEART.

• October 31, 2012 at 10:18 pmMike

My heart exploded once every frame during that smile at the end.

• November 1, 2012 at 4:34 amcelebrinen

Oh yeah. It goes down in my book as one of those special, sweet moments in anime.
      I’m kinda in the Mori Summer camp but that smile made my compass swing due Rikka.

• October 31, 2012 at 10:12 pmDarkuFlaimeMeister

OMG, MY HEART.

• October 31, 2012 at 10:26 pmZen

Loneliness, huh? I’ve read articles about children creating imaginary friends, (Or whole enclaves of imaginary friends) to fill the loneliness in their hearts. I guess Rikka’s Chuunibyou Syndrome is something similar; she’s created a fantasy for herself in which she is an all-powerful being, and ever the center of attention- contrasted against reality where she’s often home alone during the day. And with a sister who’s so much older than her, I’d imagine she was technically a single child for most of her childhood after Touka left home (I know nothing of her back story, so I’m just speculating). With Yuuta filling that void in her life, I imagine that she might even begin to have moments of lucidity by the end of the season…

• October 31, 2012 at 11:25 pmStilts

There’s probably some truth to that…though I’m not about to discount her genuinely thinking all that chu2 stuff is cool as well. It can be both, right? ^^

• November 1, 2012 at 2:07 amZen

Lol, actually I’m pretty sure it that it is both. Children try to fill the voids in their lives with things that they enjoy/think are cool- if Little Johnny used to play a lot of baseball with his brother (Who’s 5 years older.) back in kindergarten and grade school, he’s liable to end up joining the baseball club to quell his loneliness when he gets to middle school and his brother leaves for college.

Little Rikka on the other hand watched a lot of anime and read a shipping container’s worth of manga back in grade school- (Going by her interests, of course) no prizes for guessing what she decides to do to fill the void when her beloved onee-chan Touka leaves home. This dichotomy of sympathetic circumstances and extreme dorkiness is what makes Rikka such an adorable character- to me at least…XP

• October 31, 2012 at 10:31 pmFiShar

“black raison d’etre”
    Welcome back, Lelouch!

• October 31, 2012 at 10:42 pmos

why is this the same as the name of the band that sings the ED song?

• November 1, 2012 at 10:08 pmbertman4

The band members are the girls from the show.

• October 31, 2012 at 10:46 pmVaan

• October 31, 2012 at 11:16 pmTez

Between this and Kora wa Zombie OVA I was rofl’ing all night!!

• October 31, 2012 at 11:17 pmTez

OH.. and also moar Touka please!!

• November 1, 2012 at 12:08 amFT5Havok

Epic ending ! Anything with Zero is epic xD

• November 1, 2012 at 12:25 amkondeelai

Did anyone else thought that Shinka would deck Dekomori hard on the head after she spat out spoiled milk at her only to find that she decked Kumin instead? In fact, throughout this episode she is taking her aggression more towards Kumin than anybody else.

All she wants to do is nap…

• November 1, 2012 at 8:38 amStilts

I know, right? Leave Kumin-sempai alone ;_;

• November 1, 2012 at 12:48 amTaiakun

There was one thing which I noticed which stuck in my head for the rest of the episode for some weird reason. When Yuuta returned to his room after putting Rikka to bed, it was 1:35am in the morning. Why is Yumeha still up and so lively?

My favourite scene had to be the shrine seen. Dekomori totally owned Rikka with her math ability, which was made even more funny by the fact that she wasn’t even intending too! Rikka, your servant has surpassed you with flying colours…

• November 1, 2012 at 8:00 amgoodstuffs

todddlers her age tend to nap during the day and stay up late playing! because the slept so much in the day!

• November 1, 2012 at 12:49 amskyreno

Awesome Episode!

• November 1, 2012 at 1:18 amPtolemaios00

Now, who can actually figure out the “basic problem” that Yuuta gave: if you throw 2 dice, what is the probability of getting a sum of 3?

• November 1, 2012 at 1:43 amFiShar

I know! *does what Rikka did* There!

• November 1, 2012 at 2:02 amMIT_ron

Total number of cases. 6*6=36.
      Favourable cases to get a sum of 3: 1 on first and 2 on second die, or vice versa.
      so 2 favourable cases,
      hence= Favourable cases/total number of cases= 2/36= 1/18 = 5.55% probability

• November 2, 2012 at 8:03 amStilts

Neeeeeeeeeeeeerds!!

…who are better at math than me, Orz

• November 3, 2012 at 2:56 amMIT_ron

Truly speaking, I’m confounded that the first concept that yuuta started rika’s training with, was probability.
      Probability unlike the rest of mathematics doesnt adhere to any predefined theorems,
      So I couldn’t help but laugh whennyuuta announced “we will start with the very basics”
      ….. and started with PROBABILITY. Haha

• November 3, 2012 at 3:33 amFling

Not to mention how that maths test was clearly related to probability

• November 1, 2012 at 1:20 amWhy

Kinda hurts tomorrow wouldn’t talk to Rikka anymore.

• November 1, 2012 at 1:23 amgsharp

Awesome ep, this ep felt very much longer than the other ep. Love her smiles, Rikka’s so cute.

• November 1, 2012 at 1:46 amKinny Riddle

OMG Rikka is too cute this episode. 六花ちゃん可愛い過ぎ! (There, this show has just awakened my inner “moeshit” Chuunibyou. Normally I’m quite mild mannered. lol )

The literal translation of this series’ title is “I have 8th Grader Disease But I Still Want To Fall In Love”. This episode is now showing signs of performing the second part of the title.

Yuuta no doubt sees a lot of his past self in Rikka, and it pains him to see Rikka being a loner like he once was due to his Chuunibyou. Even more so as Rikka is 3 years behind Yuuta (and Nibutani) in attempting to “reintegrate” into normal society.

Dekomori shows there’s a thin line between a genius and a lunatic, which probably justifies why her delusions exceed even that of her Master. (Leading to Rikka feeling inferior and depressed. XD )

There seems to be a subplot going on for Nibutani, about how she’s not getting along well with her cheerleader team seniors, suggesting she’s more happy to be in the company of ex and present Chuunibyous, even if she’ll never admit it.

Oh and there’s Tooka looking awesome with her bun of hair while teaching Yumeha the basics of getting divorced. Could it be Tooka was once married? But she looks quite young, so I’ll probably guess she was just trolling Yumeha for fun.

• November 1, 2012 at 5:35 ambear

Just look at the OP and see who Yuuta is holding hands with.

• November 1, 2012 at 9:39 amPasserby

I think Tooka was supposed to contast Rikka, since she is her foil. Even when playing house with a kid, Tooka prefers cruel and cold realism. Rikka, obviously, does not.

• November 2, 2012 at 8:05 amStilts

Quoted for truth. One of the reasons I’m enjoying Deko-chan’s character so much. Evil genius baka is a great combination :3

And yes, Touka’s bun = winning. Moar plz~

• November 1, 2012 at 1:47 amKinny Riddle

LITE 6 – Dekomori trolling Nibutani, then making up together in the public bath. My yuri goggles are seeing a new couple being born. :)

• November 1, 2012 at 3:18 ammegalith

This is the last one right?

;_;

• November 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm†Croos†

Lets start with “Best Friends” first, OK? ok? :D

• November 2, 2012 at 2:34 amKinny Riddle

Well, as I’m going to ride the Yuuta and Rikka ship, it’d be cruel for Nibutani to end up with no ship, so I’ve decided to transfer her to the yuri ferry route with Dekomori. XD

• November 1, 2012 at 7:50 pmmegalith

So the title also applies to Shinkai and Dekomori?

D:

• November 2, 2012 at 8:07 amStilts

The yuri…*slides his goggles into place* I CAN SEE IT!!

• November 2, 2012 at 8:18 amThe Moondoggie

My goggles are busted: I can’t see :(

• November 1, 2012 at 2:06 amKinny Riddle

BTW, anyone notice the Evangelion reference when Dekomori mentions Blood Type Blue and then goes into Evangelion BGM? LOL

• November 1, 2012 at 2:27 amiyArashi

Wild Chuunibyou used Charm! It’s super effective! *faints*

• November 1, 2012 at 2:34 amgawrshness

awww when realization hit Yuuta that Rikka was just lonely I was actually waiting for a ‘I understand’ hug. I wonder how far the romance is gonna go in this series. BTW It was somewhat sudden or I somehow missed it, did anyone notice that Yuuta started calling Rikka by her first name?

• November 2, 2012 at 2:32 amKinny Riddle

He’s been calling her Rikka since around the end of episode 3, and more importantly, he doesn’t even realize he’s switched to first name terms. A bit like how Kyon, without even realizing it, started calling Haruhi by her name instead of Suzumiya, it just came out naturally.

• November 2, 2012 at 4:51 ammegalith

I think that’s because Rikka kept telling Yuuta to call her by her given name.

• November 2, 2012 at 8:09 amStilts

Yeah, the change over was subtle (so much so that I didn’t even notice when it happened myself…it was you guys who pointed it out to me!), but I prefer it that way. It wouldn’t have worked so well had they made a big deal about it.

• November 2, 2012 at 9:41 ammegalith

I never really noticed it actually up until someone pointed it out in animesuki. I mean I really completely forgot about it. Yuuta barely calls her by her name. I only noticed one during this episode and that was a narration.

• November 1, 2012 at 2:38 amgsharp

probably last ep, he call her name like twice or so, I don’t remember. it’s good sign that their relationship is going to be full of happiness and lovey dovey

• November 1, 2012 at 2:42 amZhinvu

- You weren’t kidding Stilts with Dekomori having skills. Aside from deflecting water with one hand, she can open a bottle of milk in one swipe
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2002.jpg I’m impressed Shinka didn’t get the urge to go berserk after Sanae did that…I stand corrected. After seeing Kinny Riddle’s youtube link, World War Hulk was inevitable.
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2006.jpg I really wonder if Kumin-sempai was really asleep when she called Shinka chubby. Still, Kumin-sempai is awesome.
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2010.jpgThe revelation of Dekomori being a genius was a shocker. This scene almost feels like a declaration of world domination.
    - Special mention to Nana-chan sensei again in this episode. That teacher’s innocent smile hides a genius in dealing with Rikka.
    - Yuuta’s mom’s antics were a riot. Though his dad wasn’t there, based on his mom’s conversation they have quite a playful nature.
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2029.jpg I really wonder what kind of house Touka was playing with Yumeha at the time. Divorce was too early to teach Yumeha.
    - Yuuta actually looked cool when did his Dark Flame Master act.
    - http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2033.jpg
    http://randomc.net/image/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai/Chuunibyou%20Demo%20Koi%20ga%20Shitai%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2039.jpg Not just 1, but 2 gorgeous smiles coming Rikka this episode. Just. Simply. Amazing.

• November 1, 2012 at 3:13 ammac65

First, the art is still top notch. I know I relented last episode about Yuuta hitting Rikka, but I glad to see there was
    less (something about hitting a girl has always seemed very wrong, IMHO) in this episode.

Yuuta slipped a couple of times too. It was so funny when Dekomori turns the “light” back on and Yuuta, for a monent,
    gets caught up in Rikka’s chant!

There’s a contrast brewing about lies in this series – is it better to have a fantasy about being a Dark Flame Master
    who has crystallized the Dark Power to help a comrade reach a tangible and meaningful goal in her life, or Shinka
    who seems to be unhappy trying to be something that doesn’t seem to be working out for her. But the sleepy voice
    of reason by Kumin-sempai lays it on the line.

I really hope they’re able to keep up this wonderful, cute energy in this series.

Stilts – a very funny coincidence here between this series and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, did you notice?
    Both girls have had a name change this week. But in this case, in the future you should refer to Rikka as

Black Reason for Existence

from here on out, ’cause I wouldn’t want to see you at the business end of some Crystallized Dark Power™ wielded
    by the Dark Flame Master himself. As for Mashiro, you can call her mine (note the lack of a smiley)!

• November 1, 2012 at 7:01 ambear

Shinka not fitting in with the cheerleaders was interesting.

Kumin-sempai seems to have a lot of information for someone who naps a lot and is very perceptive.

• November 1, 2012 at 4:14 ammegalith

This ep was pretty good. It was a bit different from the past 4 episodes but I’m ok with it. The development is starting and I couldn’t be even more pleased.

Well this episode was full of surprises. Dekomori being a top student, Yuuta’s edgy e-mail and Touka and Yumeha playing realistic house. What surprises me the most is the role play of Touka and Yumeha. That’s a bit too much isn’t it even for foreshadowing…

Regarding the technical side, Hiroko Utsumi once again delivered. Even though it’s not a climactic episode, the storyboarding and direction was done well. The cuts were really good. The Animation Director(Miku Kadowaki) also did a fine job keeping the characters animated with so much life and making them interesting to watch. Not to mention using the killer move in the end. I’m really really pleased with this duo.

Can’t wait to see how things unfold.

• November 1, 2012 at 4:29 amFeni

God I think may favourite moment in this show so far and one that will definitely be in my top list forever was when they cut to Rikka’s email address – her name followed by random digits. I thought to myself, ‘Wait a second, isn’t Yuuta’s more interesting?’, and it suddenly reminded me of when I had to change my own email address. They hovered over it for barely a second but it felt so goddam poignant for me.

• November 1, 2012 at 5:21 amGouka Ryuu

You know, thanks to your images I just noticed that Shinka looks a lot like Yuuta’s Mom. Maybe it’s that old saw about falling for someone like your parent. PErhaps she was once Chuunibyou herself.

• November 2, 2012 at 8:14 amStilts

There’s a little similarity there, but I still don’t think Yuuta will fall for Shinka (or vice versa). Rikka ship all the way!

• November 1, 2012 at 5:32 amJaden

Have you hailed your emperor lately?
    Lelouch is back, and this time he’s actually interested on the girls that surround him. Yay for potential romance!

Lesser laughs overall than previous eps but it was still lots of fun, the Touka-Yumeha divorce was just pure gold.

• November 1, 2012 at 5:34 amharo

spotted some parodys that i can recognize.

level upper: from toaru railgun
    300% damage: super smash bros.

i think there’s more but i can’t break the codes.

lol at the part where dekomori cleans the pool floor & rikka slides across
    and yuuta’s mom sure have some funny fantasies
    and for the probability question… i don even know the answer.

• November 2, 2012 at 8:16 amStilts

Ah, thanks. I originally noted the Level Upper in my post, but it got cut somewhere. I chuckled ^^

• November 1, 2012 at 6:05 amHagiri

Been a while since I’ve seen Yuuta being Dark Flame Master~

Yoshii Akihisa’s Special Move, Striker Sigma Five !!!

• November 1, 2012 at 5:24 pmZero

“A superior baka walks amongst us.”

• November 1, 2012 at 6:12 ambonnie

love is in the air for out two leads!!!

• November 1, 2012 at 6:19 amName (required)

i’m curious about rikka family

• November 1, 2012 at 6:19 amjrj

as much as I hate to admit it… I have jumped to Rikka’s ship… Rikka is awesome this episode!

• November 1, 2012 at 6:40 amSaturo

This anime just gets better and better with every episode.
    Rikka also is starting to grow more lively, more cheerful but also shows signs of envy towards Shinka. I somehow like anime-characters who need some kind of support and warmth to overcome a loneliness they maybe not even realize for themselves.

• November 1, 2012 at 7:08 amTingster013

If only I can sleep and wake up and fall asleep immediately all the time… I envy Kumi-senpai a lot!!!
    I can see that Yuuta’s sister is getting a little jealous there when her mum is talking to her.
    I find it weird that Shinka does not care about the survival of the circle, seems like she forgot that the circle is the only way she can get to erase her past completely.
    The smile at the end totally justify why Rikka is better than Shinka. Rikka FTW!

• November 1, 2012 at 7:52 amSceptile

I was amazed to hear how much the anime changes from the light novel in terms of creating characters out of whole cloth, but the show is so much better for it.

• November 1, 2012 at 7:56 amchuu-ko

by look of it hmm look things are slowly hmm something to happen.

give mostly on rikka’s probs with math cause if get yikes so long the club so trying shrine praying then pool cleaning but nope.

so yuuta give math training for rikka give she trying to not working then after some determine & talk well she barely made it.

with dark flame speech all smile on rikka.

• November 1, 2012 at 8:00 amCarVac

I just noticed that Rikka and her sister are named similarly: 六花 and 十花.

• November 1, 2012 at 5:35 pmRedjuiceFan

Yasuri Shichika from Katanagatari 七花

• November 1, 2012 at 8:41 amWatermelon

So, Rikka said that noone except her sister and Deko know her mail address, right? Then, what about her friend from lite? Mistake or did something happen…?

• November 1, 2012 at 8:49 amTheLastMan

damn it… 8 eps to go (if its true they will go for 13 episodes only). an anime this great should be 24 eps… more delusions, more fun. IMHO chuu2 is the kind of anime we need to get over with this boring real world.

• November 1, 2012 at 9:17 amJ-Luke

• November 1, 2012 at 9:27 amThe Moondoggie

Why is this scene keep reminding me of AIR? I dunno if it’s the gentle eyes, the wind-blown hair, the awesome sunset background or it was a mix of everything.

• November 1, 2012 at 9:45 amAoihoshikage

Well, KyoAni did animate AIR after all. AIR was when I fell in love with KyoAni’s art. Today, I’m still a fan.

• November 1, 2012 at 9:32 amPasserby

While Rikka’s mannerisms are cute, I do hope that she eventually makes peace with reality. Her persistent and delusional escapism hints at something deep and traumatic in her past. It does feel like there’s something about life (or perhaps just life in general) that she’ll eventually have to come to terms with. It’d be unfortunate if this becomes the kind of serious anime where she’d need to start on the meds.

• November 1, 2012 at 10:04 amAoihoshikage

Well, I believe the opening does flash a picture perfect family, which is most likely Rikka’s (mom and dad with younger Rikka and Touka). With Touka’s “urayamashii” (wish I were you) comment implying a strained sibling relationship and your observation that Rikka may be using her Chuunibyou for escapism certainly hints at problems with Rikka’s family. Possibly divorce or dead parents? Rikka did ask about Yuuta’s dad early in their interaction, so the probability of a traumatic past is high.

I doubt that the series will whittle down to Rikka taking meds though…most kids grow out of their Chuunibyou fantasies, even if it is used for escapism. Besides, we expect Rikka to find romance despite being a Chuunibyou :) (It’s the title of the series!)

• November 1, 2012 at 10:05 amPasserby

Oh, it’s also interesting that Japan has apparently not embraced the New Math. The maths paper was only interested in answers, but not at all in how one gets there.

Also, pointless trivia: the kind of thing that trips up Yuuta is the expansion of (x-5)^2–the easiest question on the test.

• November 1, 2012 at 10:31 amAoihoshikage

Sorry if I have duplicate comments, I tried submitting my comments, but do not seem to be showing up. Please feel free to delete the duplicates.

What I meant to say was:
    I’m loving this series more and more with each episode. This series may even be a top contender for my all-time favorite Anime. For me, every character is fun and likable (even the “two-faced” Shinka). I admit, I was a Chuunibyou in elementary school and a closet Chuunibyou in middle school/high school, so this series really hits home.

In any case, a few comments/observations:
    1. Yumeha is allowed to stay up past 12am? Or better yet, she CAN stay up past 12am? Most kids her age are out by 9pm…
    2. In the two scenes Yumeha is in, she is totally adorable, had to get it out there…
    3. Man, Yuuta’s mom is also adorable(Stilts pointed that out in the first ep). When Rikka pulled out her gun during the study session, I wondered if Yuuta’s mom and Kuzuha were actually peeking in.
    4. I was actually surprised with the level of math Yuuta’s class is doing. Trinomial x trinomial x binomial? Trinomial^2? Trivial problems, but A LOT of busy work/keeping track of factors to get the correct answer, not to mention no partial credit with the way the test is scored. The 50% average is not surprising…dude, I just realized how much attention to detail KyoAni pulled on the math test.
    5. I loved the pacing of this episode. However, my only nit-picky complaint is: All the characters need more screen time!

• November 1, 2012 at 10:14 pmbertman4

Agreed. Yumeha is totally adorable.

• November 2, 2012 at 9:19 amSmithCB

Not too surprised on the math thing. (x^3-8) doesn’t lend itself to fantasy (depression- yes, fantasy – no). Her other scores are good, and maybe her fantasy can provide her with memory cues for language, history, etc, but math doesn’t work that way as she found when she tried naming the various levels of multiplication. Yuuta’s help should provide the doorway to handling the realities of math and then maybe her own realities.

• November 3, 2012 at 3:23 amFling

I was bored so I tried doing some of those right column questions :P

I like that 11^4 = (1+10)^4 question. Now we know a fast way of calculating it by hand :P

Question 3)
      1) Use different of 2 squares on the last 2 brackets so it simplifies to[(x^2 + 2)^2 - 4x^2] = (x^4 + 4), and finally, you end up with (x^4 – 4)(x^4 + 4) = x^8 – 16
      2) Use difference of 2 squares on the first 2 brackets and the last 2 brackets and you end up with 4a(b+c)+4a(b-c) = 8ac
      3) Kyoani screwed up the question. It should be (x^2 – 3x + 2)(x^+ 3x + 2) if Yuuta’s answer is indeed correct
      4) Make (x^2 + y^2)(x – y)^2(x + y) = (x^2 + y^2)(x^2 – y^2)(x – y) = (x^4 – y^4)(x – y) and then expand everything from there. This one seems like a pain in the ass. There’s probably a faster way. Anyone willing to share? :P

Then the rest seem trivial again.

No partial marks is just unfair lazy marking though.

• November 1, 2012 at 10:51 amKira526

Even though the humor wasn’t as rampant in this episode, I still think it might be my favorite so far. I can’t help the fact that I’m a sucker for romance ^^ And that scene at the end was so heartwarming and nostalgic. It makes me want to go back in time and re-live those days!

• November 1, 2012 at 1:45 pml3reezer

Personally felt this was the best episode so far. It retained the comedic value (even delivered the best gags for me, because I was laughing out loud this time around) as well as stepped character development up. And although the fantasy fight scenes are good visual candy, I’m glad it’s not being implemented in a formulaic, “every episode” rate.

• November 1, 2012 at 3:48 pmtrunkmonkey

Rikka gets cuter and cuter <3

• November 1, 2012 at 9:39 pmLayfon

I just finished watching this. My heart exploded.

• November 2, 2012 at 5:07 amRyner

Love how Yuuta would go back to his Dark Flame Master persona just for Rika! Love the two together! Definitely love Rika’s jealous side and her moe moments of asking for help.

BTW for FYI, Dark Flame Master probably refers (as a parody I think) to the anime character:

Hiei from the anime YuYu Hakusho (it’s a classic anime, and still LOVE IT, if you havent heard or watched it, definitely a good anime to watch!)

• November 3, 2012 at 2:33 amFling

lol at Rikka’s base 0 number system cop out.

• November 3, 2012 at 3:20 ammegalith

I just noticed….

Hyouka ep 15
    Chu2koi ep 5

Both episodes are handled by the same team. I guess the episode director loves this pose?

• November 3, 2012 at 8:56 amahbonk

I say nothing, NOTHING beats the Shining Answer of BakaTest!

• November 3, 2012 at 12:14 pmzeroyuki92

Am I the only one who picked up some foreshadowing when I saw that Rikka’s previous email address is a normal one? I think Rikka would write something chuuni (if she was able to write one freely)… if the past Rikka is the same with the current Rikka that we know today.

• November 7, 2012 at 4:05 amshuin_exe

I love the BGM when Yuuta and Rikka talked in kitchen…

• November 7, 2012 at 7:57 amIcarusFW

In all honesty, I think it’s a given that the two who are in chu2-denial will be rejoining the dark side eventually, since one of the subtle messages in this series is “grow up and be mature, but never let go of your childish, fun-loving side”. Yuuta’s playful parents, and Kumin’s casual but spot-on observations, are a good example of that.

• November 10, 2012 at 12:01 pmOreI

End Card so cute

• December 4, 2012 at 6:11 pmNoSicko

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this already, but…

Stilts, that first paragraph was gold. PURE GOLD!!!

P.S.: I even learned a new word: “suffuse”!