Bleach 521 – A Delicious Cycle »« Bleach 519 – Badass

Bleach 520 – The Strongest Shinigami

Bleach Manga   520   01

As many people predicted from the way Kyouraku handled the aftermath of the first Vandenreich invasion, he has indeed been appointed to the first squad as the new Captain Commander. And I have to say, with this development things are getting quite exciting. He appoints Nanao to be his vice-captain under the 1st dvision along with the former 3rd seat, and in doing so defying the Central 46 (which I’m rather disappointed still exists). His second action also runs in the face of the Central 46 when he decides to have Kenpachi taught in the real art of killing. Kenpachi wasn’t taken to the Spirit Palace like the others, so it’s possible he isn’t in bad shape. I’m not sure if they intend to teach him the art of sword fighting or make him learn the name of his zanpakutou, but I don’t think anyone doubts that doing either will make him ridiculously powerful. If holding his blade with two hands allowed him to cut Nnoitra in half with one blow, then one can only imagine how much this would power him up.

To top everything off, Kyouraku reveals that it will be Unohana teaching Zaraki, as she was the first “Kenpachi”, implying that she was also the first captain of the 11th division. Many readers have suspected that she hid monster killing power under that sweet smile of hers, and if this wasn’t enough to confirm it, then there’s also the fact that she was formerly known as Unohana Yachiru. This means that she was the only person Zaraki ever admired, and so much so that he used it as the namesake for everyone’s favorite pink-haired lieutenant. It says a lot about the only two female members known to have been in the 11th division, and definitely seems quite the shame to have Unohana assigned to healing and being ordered to sit out of the battles. With the way things are progressing though, that will change soon. I have high hopes that the next round of battles will not be the disaster it was last time.

December 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm
  • December 13, 2012 at 12:06 amDrift

Finally, the focus on Unohana we’ve all waited for! In interviews and such its been hinted she is not only a amazing healer but a powerful fighter also. I never expected her to have this much connection with Zaraki but these 2 are amazing together and cannot wait to see what will happen with them next.

Also guess it’s an amazing thing how Ichigo, Rukia, Renji and Byakuya survived the hot spring while they were all naked. Heck, 3 of them were unconscious yet they still didn’t get damaged by the hot spring. Just shows they aren’t the “weak” character in Bleach and that they all have an amazing spiritual ability to fight and survive.

• December 13, 2012 at 12:48 amHorus

To be honest, I didn’t see that coming…but when I did I was like “@#%& YES! Badass Unohana is going to town on you! Not only will she beat you to almost death but heal you up all good and then beat you down again! Damn it I love her!”

• December 13, 2012 at 12:29 pmAnonymous

Cue in memories of HALO.
        Marine: Get up so I can kill you AGAIN!
        Ah yes, the good time are coming back

• December 13, 2012 at 7:51 pmrufe

Are you kidding? They’ve been dropping hints that Unohara is dangerous since the very beginning. Everybody steps lightly around her, even people outside of the shinigami.

• December 14, 2012 at 3:00 pmGermanguy

Even her Vice-Captain runs a chill down the Spine, when She have “this” Look. And she must know it better..

Well She is one of the 3 “Oldest” Captains

• December 13, 2012 at 2:20 amL002

To be honest, I find the fact that the “Hot Spring Demon” as her teacher to be more of a shock. It would make sense since that guy, who’s hairdo is exactly the same as a certain Shaman named Ryu, would only pick a demonicalky strong person to be his disciple.

What is more shocking is how Squad 4 is always looked down upon by Squad 11. The First Kenpachi must have been top secret.

• December 14, 2012 at 7:50 amschwegburt

Considering how the 11th division all fears Unohana getting mad, I think they know.

I get the impression they’re more hostile to the 4th for a reason. The fact that the 4th took their original Captain and turned her into a glorified nurse probably breeds more hostility amongst the 11th. They probably take a look at the 4th Division members and go “Kenpachi left us for these shits?!”

• December 13, 2012 at 12:09 amVivace

How the hell did they just found another 46 random idiots to fill in the Central 46 positions?

• December 13, 2012 at 12:43 amDigid

They went to each town and asked the people there: “Whose the biggest jerk here you all want to get rid off?”

• December 13, 2012 at 1:04 amL002

to be honest, that’s exactly how I thought about it. I really want the enemy to WIPE OUT central 46 and the one who would later make the decisions is the lazy captain we all know and love.

• December 13, 2012 at 7:27 amLogan

Im sure that the Central 46 Devision is composed of bureaucrat shinigami that never made it well in combat although did great with paper work. Also retired shinigami maybe? same as any other military organization.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:43 pmhaseo0408

Why would the Quincy want the Central 46 dead? Those bastards are more trouble for the Shinigami than a help, I´m surprise Kyoraku manage to mantain composture in front of those jerks.

• December 13, 2012 at 5:05 pmKarmafan

We do the same thing in the real world. Instead of the 46, we call them congressmen and senators.

• December 13, 2012 at 8:09 amTez

The new 46 are probably all sons/daughters of the previous 46. Soul society has a aristocratic/royalty that rules and the shinigami are more in enforcers than rulers.

If you recall Yoruichi is a part of this aristocrosy

• December 13, 2012 at 12:19 amFenFen

@Vivace
    it was easy, idiots are everywhere

• December 13, 2012 at 12:20 amZero Hour 17

Mind=Blown

We all knew Unohana was hiding something, but she was the first Kenpachi? Did not see that coming.

And the spirit king “fell for” Ichigo? Really hope that’s a mistake with the fan translation

• December 13, 2012 at 2:01 amComM3

I guess he swings both ways.

• December 13, 2012 at 5:28 amJello

I always knew Unohana liked raisins.

As for the Spirit King…maybe by “falling” he’s willing to give up his position to Ichigo? I dunno.

• December 13, 2012 at 12:36 pmLaughingMan

Mangapanda’s translations are usually awful. Mangastream hasn’t been much better lately either. They can translate properly but they use way too many nonsensical idioms in the translations. Thank god Shonen Jump Alpha is gonna be releasing new chapters simultaneously with Japan.

• December 14, 2012 at 1:05 pmMisk

• December 15, 2012 at 3:18 amrufe

Most likely it is a translation for “horeru” (I stopped reading Bleach a long time ago so I’m not sure and I’m too lazy to make sure…)

Usually this means to fall in love with, but it can also be used to refer to somebody you’ve come to admire outside of romantic interests. It’s perfectly reasonable for a straight man to “fall for” another man if this is the word being used.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:08 amFalmung

Or maybe she’s a spirit queen? wuahahahaha

• December 13, 2012 at 12:36 amL002

I am shocked to some extent, to think Kenpachi’s fighting style was 98 percent made by simply pure talent, the rest of the two percent was simply a Kendo swing. To the point where Central 64 had banned Kenpachi from learning martial arts, or let someone to teach him. If Kenpachi was taught Watojutsu the he would likely reach Aizen’s level.

As or Unohana, I get the feeling that Central 46 must have put some sort of seal on her. If she is the first “Kenpachi” then she would indeed have the power to easily put down all 10 espada, but those idiots of Central 46 likely feared her power to a great extent to the point where they had placed a seal on her if they wanted to trust her.

As for the Soul King, I am curios in how long has the guy been watching Ichigo. I wonder if he ever laughed when he saw Ichigo pulled stunts like this.

• December 13, 2012 at 12:43 amSortedevaras

So Ichigo reflected that punch with his face how exactly?

• December 13, 2012 at 12:53 amL002

i think it is in the same manner as how Kenpachi blocked IChigo’s weak attacks when they first met.

• December 13, 2012 at 1:27 amPsithief

He flinched forward into the punch, effectively head-butting the hand?
      I feel like I need to read 2-3 separate translations to really get the nuances. As that sounds like work, I just guess instead.

• December 13, 2012 at 1:08 amAnanas

It only took 520 chapters.

• December 13, 2012 at 1:28 amwoope

what was that Tenjirou was saying about Ichigo ? when he send Ichigo and Renji ? ny english is poor to get it…

• December 13, 2012 at 1:39 amDa5id

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:22 amjunglepenguin

You take the words of the man most qualified to be the next Captain Commander too lightly my friend.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:24 amDa5id

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:35 amjunglepenguin

How to control his power? Rather than letting it radiate off? I dunno. Do you see an assassin wave his blade around in front of the target face, laughing at the thought of his target’s imminent demise?

• December 13, 2012 at 4:17 amDa5id

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 13, 2012 at 11:54 amShiden

@^ And if his power up move is using the most basic strike in kendo, imagine if he’s actually taught something. Kenpachi is nigh unstoppable in a completely raw, unrefined form. Taking that and refining it would create a real monster.

• December 13, 2012 at 4:38 amMarkBadong

You do know he doesn’t even know his Bankai yet right? There’s still a lot Zaraki can learn.

• December 13, 2012 at 7:26 amSharingod

Hell, he doesn’t even know his shikai. I’d say theres A LOT that Kenpachi can learn =D

• December 13, 2012 at 11:51 amKarma

I’m pretty sure that Kubo in some of his art books stated that Kenpachi’s Shikai is permanently released (tho’ he doesn’t know it’s name) and that it’s power is to become equal with it’s opponent + his own strength which sorta makes sense how he’s able to wipe out 99% of everything.

But I might also mistaken but it’s something I’ve read.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:08 amDamrod

Hmm, somehow i am not believing it that she is the first kenpachi.

To get that title of being the kenpachi, one would have to kill the previous kenpachi to get it.
    So how did she survive the passing of the title kenpachi if it could only be transferred through killing the previous kenpachi?

• December 13, 2012 at 2:27 amjunglepenguin

She doesn’t seem like someone who would want such a title bestowed upon her. I mean she seems to find fulfillment in being the captain of a squad that is in charge of the welfare of Soul Society. One may have power, but it doesn’t mean that one enjoys using it.

I get the feeling that she wanted to have nothing to do with being the Kenpachi, and that she had never intended for such a tradition to exist.

• December 13, 2012 at 5:59 amyoyo

To me the most likely thing would be that she was part of Captain Commander squad before it became the gotei 13. Plus given how they where fighting the Quincy war and all the other wars that we don’t know about could have well given her the title of Kenpachi by Captain Commander. So after that war she probably like what she saw and so gave up her killing ways and became a healer and thus the title was given to someone else who she thought was strong enough to be given the title of kenpachi.

• December 13, 2012 at 4:20 pmTyKH

I think you’re making a mistake here. The title Kenpachi is giving to the strongest Shinigami. You have three ways to become a captain; 1. Do a test with showing of your bankai, the general and two other captains must witness this. 2. Get a reccomendation of six captains. 3. Kill a captain.

Kenpachi did the third method. That he also is the strongest is just a nice feat so the speak.

A second thing I’m pretty sure Kenpachi does not have his sword released even though his swords looks weird. Because if it’s so, what is the ability of his sword?

• December 14, 2012 at 2:55 pmGermanguy

His Sword dont speak with him, And this weired shape is just an “Worn out” Blade. He never took “Care” of his Sword, the Sword itself just dont broke himself. Only a small glimpse when read after he was Defended.. “Why are you struggle, This World is done for”. I think that was the first time the Sword spoke

But then again, is a “Sword” not a part of the Owners Soul? Why, then this Sword still exist? And the “Hilt” from old Captain commander… Has the Sword the “power” to Resurrect their old Owner, through “Soul Link”?

• December 13, 2012 at 2:23 amgawrshness

while it was a very nice twist to find out who the ‘real’ Yachiru actually was which may later on result in Kenpachi being shipped with Unohana (now that’s a crack pairing…) what took me really off was when the Yakuza dude said Spirit King might fall for Ichigo which made me immediately think; so the king of all spirits and supreme ruler of Soul Society is…gay?

• December 13, 2012 at 5:33 amvjott

Oh HELL YEAH!!!

• December 14, 2012 at 2:57 pmGermanguy

..or he is like a God. Gods dont have a Gender. They can be both or none

• December 13, 2012 at 2:54 amYanDaMan

I always had a feeling that Unohana was secretly an uber-powerful captain, but I did not expect her to be the first Kenpachi. Now THATs something. I really wanna see her fight now.

• December 13, 2012 at 3:15 amjunglepenguin

The first few pages with Kyouraku speaking to Nanao were shockingly poignant, as if I could feel the weight of Kyouraku’s sadness as he spoke of them parting ways.

Thinking back, the relationship between the two seemed casual, and the captain liked being a little mischievous around the vice-capt, who in turn made sure he wasn’t let off without reprimanding. It was subtle, but you could see that they enjoyed each others’ company, and that they cared for each other a little more than most. It didn’t occur to me then, but with this chapter, I find myself imagining (if not being reminded) of an image where Nanao is serving Kyouraku tea. I wouldn’t call it love just yet, but the two are definitely bound to each other more than just squad positions or even camaraderie.

Which is why I’m here, sharing these strange thoughts with you guys, hoping that someone else saw the emotions contained within those 3 simple pages. I never did care about romance in Bleach (well, maybe a little with that orange-haired dude and the petite girl who mooned us in the previous chapter), but I now find myself a little interested in this relationship, and I’m hoping that we’ll get to see a little more interaction between Kyouraku and Nanao. I’m glad Kyouraku made sure that she was to be his vice-captain again, and also a little excited to know that he found her company to be that important, that he would risk going against authority for it.

Oh boy, yeesh, I sound like a girl. I’M A MAN! GIMME MORE ACTION! GARRR!

——

I choose to believe that Unohana decides to sit out of fighting of her own will. It’s the other way around for me: As much as I’d like to see Unohara going berserk and unleashing power beyond our imaginations to smite puny Quincies, it’s a shame to see that she has to use her powers to do harm once more.

It would be crushing to know that the captain of a squad that is trained to care for people actually enjoys wielding such power that brings her the title of the first Kenpachi.

• December 13, 2012 at 3:31 amjunglepenguin

Also, while I’m as doubtful about the ability of the Central 46 to govern, it’s easy to understand why it cannot be abolished. They hold the authority to give authority. Without them, Kyouraku couldn’t be officially sworn in as Captain Commander. Sure, they could and probably would have picked him as the Commander even without the decision of the Central 46, but I can imagine that it would have been a lot messier that way.

Having Soul Society go without the Central 46 would be akin to allowing a country that has recently pulled through a war run without a government. They may not make the best decisions, but the decisions will nonetheless give direction for Soul Society, and opportunities to reunite and recover. That aside, I think the decision to make Kyouraku Commander immediately after all this was, while a pretty easy and obvious decision, also a good one. It’s a start.

• December 14, 2012 at 2:48 pmGermanguy

Well, the Captains could agree to someone that Leads them. To Many Captains destroy the Dish.

• December 18, 2012 at 4:06 amPoke

I really enjoyed reading the way you analysed the interaction between Kyouraku Shunsui and Ise Nanao. It was a really detailed insight into the emotions being played out on the 3 pages. Thanks.

• December 13, 2012 at 3:18 amP Ko

Brace for impact! Crazy pink streaks dashing around everywhere! Yoda Yachiru awesomeness is coming!

…hopefully.

• December 13, 2012 at 3:21 amCelecia01

Unohana…I mean wow, I had always hoped this would happen. To think as well, if she is stronger than Kenpachi (or as strong) and has these incredible healing powers, she’s like the ultimate fighting force! This is bound to be good.

Also, glad that there is some focus on Renji as well, seeing as how he technically moved up to the main cast during the end of the ss arc and the hm arc, plus since he seemed to have gotten so much stronger during the fullbring arc it was a shame to see him defeated so easily during the quincy invasion.

Bleach finally seems to be getting interesting again, maybe all it needed was some serious story-work and less back to back battles, which is what it has favored in the past. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

• December 13, 2012 at 10:26 amGermanguy

Well, if you “reverse” the Skills or a Very Good Healer, what you get? a Very Good Killer?
      Perhaps this is why we never saw her Bankai

• December 13, 2012 at 5:03 pmtasa

Although her shikia is a healing manta ray so in theory her bankia should be a stronger healing type of zanpakuto. But then again who said that a bankia should be a stronger version of a shikia.

• December 13, 2012 at 9:29 pmKizamikun

@tasa “Knock Knock* Soifon’s pimp rocket is calling.”

• December 14, 2012 at 12:58 amDamrod

@kizamikun:
        Soifon her bankai is technically a stronger version of her shikai.
        Her shikai is a two-hit kill thing while bankai is supposed to be a one-hit kill thing…

• December 14, 2012 at 2:46 pmGermanguy

Well, Imagine. A Healer heals his “Prey” and in the same time “Inflict Critical Life force Damage”…

So while Healing she is killing… But i bet the Pain is real… and so the Loop continue

Dont Anger the Healer :)

• December 13, 2012 at 3:49 amMisk

Kyoraku and Unohana should be the main characters. I really enjoy any chapter that doesn’t involve Ichigo (too much…)

I also like how you haven’t mentioned him in your post at all xD

• December 13, 2012 at 5:29 amJello

Kubo should quit his job already and be a music critic/collector or something.

Dem chapter titles. >_>;;;

• December 13, 2012 at 6:04 amSeishowmeu

“Central 46 (which I’m rather disappointed still exists).” -Agreed.

• December 13, 2012 at 6:32 amspikerman87

I hope he plans to make everyone stronger and not just Kenpachi. Some of them have stolen Bankai’s, so they should probably start learning as much kido as they can. If they can all preform level 90′s kido it’ll help, and some characters still haven’t achieved Bankai yet.

• December 13, 2012 at 8:03 amZaku Fan

My guess is that she lost someone close to her and realised that healing is harder than killing, then volunteered to take up the post for squad 4

• December 13, 2012 at 8:43 amJaha

Tsunade

• December 13, 2012 at 9:00 amCamora

I loved this week’s release. First we have Kyouraku as the new head captain and then we finally get to see Uhnohana’s past opened up a bit, and holy crap…look at those eyes! On top of all that, they are gonna teach Zaraki the “art of killing” as if he doesn’t know anything about it! I’m really liking the way things are heading. It was worth the wading through weeks of trollish suprises.

• December 13, 2012 at 11:54 amKarma

I really like that both Renji and Rukia have leveled up with their powerlevels as it seems, by the words of a Zero Squad member, they are actually powerful. Huge potential hidden there.

• December 13, 2012 at 12:38 pmAs Nodt

What a fine young lady.

• December 13, 2012 at 3:09 pmClinton

Central 46 last showed up to sentence Aizen we already knew they were still around.

• December 13, 2012 at 6:27 pmAtenz

Even Daimyōs in Naruto have more competence than Central 46… .

• December 14, 2012 at 12:31 amherpderp

Is it just me, or do others also think it was ridiculous when they decided to teach Zaraki “the art of killing”? He seems pretty well capable of that on his own.

• December 14, 2012 at 4:25 amjunglepenguin

It’s not just you. That said, you’re part of a minority. Apparently, a lot of people don’t find it ridiculous, myself included.

Need we all remind you that the capable Kenpachi was taken out in the recent attacks by the Vandenreich.

• December 14, 2012 at 7:09 amArky

i think that was a mistranslation i read somewhere else that Shunsui meant to teach the Art of the Sword wich mean Zanjutsu, basically how to control his sword, heck maybe shikai or Bankai, and thats why central 46 and old man were against it, as it is Kenpachi can hold his own, with Bankai he may be reaching Mugetsu Levels.

main problem would be what kind of abilities will his sword will obtain, if he is more like Ichigo a Getsuga of kenpachi can obliterate the entire sereitei

• December 14, 2012 at 1:59 amSkye

unohana’s coming to town~

• December 14, 2012 at 5:01 amNine

I still can’t picture Unohana teaching Zaraki, as she was the first “Kenpachi.

• December 14, 2012 at 8:54 amDamrod

Ah, but who would be a better choice than the first kenpachi to teach the new kenpachi?

• December 14, 2012 at 12:49 pmNine

Yeah you are right… but it just…hard for me to picture it. it is like a school girl try to teach a gangster about killing tech with butter knife. @_@. Although it does sounds cool… kinda

• December 14, 2012 at 9:54 amCamora

If Zaraki learns bankai then all they have to do is air drop him in on he vanderiech and gtfo.

• December 14, 2012 at 2:42 pmGermanguy

First, they need to find this “Vandereich”. They access it trough their own “Shadow Gate Step thing”. Let first get the “Heroes” their Power up. In the meanwhile they surly find a Way to “Knock on the Vandereichs Door”

• December 14, 2012 at 7:43 pmCamora

Then again we don’t even know if Zaraki’s bankai would be some Op gamebreaker thing like everyone is thinking. For all we know it could turn him into a carrot

• December 14, 2012 at 9:50 pmCamora

It would actually work out well, if they stole his bankai and used it, they would become carrots. Problem solved

• December 15, 2012 at 8:17 amKarma

They’re in Huenco Mundo.

• December 14, 2012 at 7:59 pmjunglepenguin

“What’s that thing out in the distance? It’s kinda orang… OH SHIT ITS A CARR-”

The end.