Bleach 525 – Demon Child »« Bleach 523 – Endless Hell

Bleach 524 – What Kills You Makes You Stronger

Bleach Manga   524   01

Not surprisingly, Zaraki is quickly overwhelmed by Unohana as she effortlessly evades his strikes and wounds him multiple times. Along with her katana, Unohana also uses some small blades for combat, possibly as a throwing weapon, and her tactics are brutally effective as she soon has Zaraki backed in a wall with a blade at his throat. Zaraki clearly respects her alot (likely the only person he ever respected and feared) due to her sheer combat prowess, to the point that he sheds tears. Of course the whole thing would be rather meaningless if he was killed right there, but at one point it does seem as if Unohana had run her sword through his throat. Zaraki notices this as well and possibly loses consciousness, but in the next moment his own sword is back in his hand, blocking Unohana’s blade. Given the consistency of the location of the blood splatters on her face, I don’t think this was just some trick of the mind. I’m guessing this is all part of the “training”, as Unohana is somehow forcing him back from death as a way to make him stronger. In her inner monologue, she cryptically mentions his oversight over her “sin”, which could be some mistake she made in the past that’s related to how he’s able to return from the dead. Without further explanation it will be hard to judge exactly what’s going on, but I am really, really praying that neither of them will actually die; it doesn’t help that Isane is grieving as if the note from Unohana was a farewell. Either way, I’m glad that their fight was not skipped over, and I hope that more of it will be shown.

January 24, 2013 at 9:52 am
  • January 24, 2013 at 9:56 amJenanime4eva

Clash of the titans.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:29 pmNatsu

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:41 pmJenanime4eva

LOL it’s the troll dude again :P.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:43 pmNatsu

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• January 24, 2013 at 4:23 pmKarmafan

Ya you aren’t a troll. Its just that just about every single post you make ends up being hidden for one reason or another. Yep you aren’t a troll.

• January 24, 2013 at 8:09 pmPuffy

“……. really” is hardly an opinion, it’s just a way of winding people up.

• January 25, 2013 at 5:31 pmLaughingMan

Fuck off…

• January 24, 2013 at 8:12 pmMoridin

Dude you’re a troll of EVERY manga post of Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail you comment ALWAYS on the first post, and invariably it is negative and designed to incite a flame war. That is the DEFINITION of trolling. I haven’t looked at the Naruto post yet but I’d bet you posted their too. Tomorrow or Saturday when Fairy Tail comes out I’m sure you’ll post there as well unless you read this and decide to skip.

• January 24, 2013 at 9:50 pmNatsu

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• January 24, 2013 at 10:02 amRandomRam

So Ken-chan is a Saiyan :)

• January 24, 2013 at 11:25 amRamen

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

• January 24, 2013 at 12:11 pmnaske

Lol you beat me to it :p
      next well find out that unohana was secretly on coolers ship and let Ken get away with goku aha

• January 24, 2013 at 10:11 amP Ko

If they do kill one of them off it isn’t going to be Kenpachi because of the fan base.

• January 24, 2013 at 11:44 amSortedevaras

Well they haven’t killed anyone else off besides vice-captain mustache and Yamamoto so I think its safe to assume Zaraki has zero chance of dying.

Badass Unohana sure would have been useful for say a Espada or Quincy invasion, so why wasn’t she allowed to fight then?

• January 24, 2013 at 12:43 pmShiden

Godzilla Threshold. Though, realistically, they should have crossed that point several times over by now.

• January 24, 2013 at 4:26 pmKarmafan

If there is any one thing I want to see in Bleach (that we have not already seen) its her bankai.

• January 24, 2013 at 10:20 amNadester

My Word, Kenpachi dead? I don’t think so. :P

• January 24, 2013 at 10:27 amMisk

…but at one point it does seem as if Unohana had run her sword through his throat. Zaraki notices this as well and possibly loses consciousness, but in the next moment his own sword is back in his hand…

This reminds me of: http://i46.tinypic.com/5x4dft.png and http://i49.tinypic.com/1zof191.png

• January 24, 2013 at 2:52 pmKeranu

yeah, its killing intent. the same thing ichigo felt when he first faced kenpachi

• January 24, 2013 at 10:39 pmPuffy

It might be killing intent, however if we look more closely we see drops of blood land on Unohana’s face as she stabs Zaraki, which doesn’t disappear when Zaraki regains consciousness. It leads me to believe that it may have been more than just killing intent.

• January 24, 2013 at 10:30 amEmD

She’s killing him and bringing him back to life over and over again to make him stronger.

Damn.

• January 24, 2013 at 10:53 amcaramel_cod

So… Unohana, a very capable fighter, might sacrifice herself in the hopes that Kenpachi becomes an even better warrior than she is? It’s a weird tactical decision to trade one captain’s life for another’s, but it does fit with the concept of killing off everyone from Yama’s generation.

• January 24, 2013 at 4:29 pmKarmafan

I don’t think she is sacrificing her life. I think she is going down a dark path that will lead to her never coming back as Captain of the 4th healer squad.

• January 24, 2013 at 9:01 pmTez

Yeah I don’t see it happening, but it would be really cool if Urohana comes back as the New-Old Kenpachi.

• January 24, 2013 at 11:01 amLogan

I think that glimpse where Zarachi sees the sword in his throat and then realize it was a strange moment or illusion, might be zarachi’s sword ability. maybe some kind of foresight power? where when he is about to die his instinct comes to life and prevents it. That could be a crazy powerful ability for the Kenpachi to have.

• January 24, 2013 at 2:55 pmKeranu

no its unohana’s killing intent, remember when ichigo first faced kenpachi and felt like he had been stabbed when in realilty kenpachi didnt even do anything yet? its the same thing here. unohana’s bloodlust is so strong that kenpachi feels like he had been stabbed by her

• January 24, 2013 at 11:13 amAnanas

CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA~

• January 25, 2013 at 1:10 amEamonX

Kill me Dende! Then heal me! So I can beat Frieza!

• January 24, 2013 at 11:28 amCamora

That moment of brief unconsciousness that Zaraki had could have been him actually hearing his zanpakto.

• January 24, 2013 at 12:31 pmNaske

Oh yea and any comments on Yachiru’s random reappearance after like 200 chapters of virtual non existence .-.

• January 24, 2013 at 5:26 pmssj4jw

She was shown when Ichigo got his powers in the fullbring arc.

• January 24, 2013 at 1:54 pmspikerman87

My guess is that Unohana’s Bankai gives people immortality and she used it on Kempachi in the past, but Unohana considers immortality to be the worst thing you could do to someone because it’s cheating death…which they represent. Kempachi doesn’t know that he can’t die because he’s never been in that kind of situation where things were too desperate. My guess is based on how Kubo writes and wishing for a good development.

• January 24, 2013 at 2:08 pmCelecia01

To think that Unohana is strong enough to beat the crap out of Kenpachi without breaking a sweat…and she’s not only got a Shikai whose powers aren’t yet known, but a Bankai as well? It would have been easier to just unleash her upon every enemy so far, that would have saved a lot of time. Now, at least, we know that back at the beginning, Aizen didn’t run from her for no reason.

Funnily enough, I’m more interested in this than I am in Ichigo and Renji’s story. Maybe because it feels more like Bleach used to than what it has become now. Glad we’re finally beginning to revisit and develop the characters who have missed out since the first arc (Unohana, I mean).

• January 24, 2013 at 2:58 pmKeranu

Yeah, now it makes sense why the exequias ran away from her in hueco mundo. I mean, I knew she was strong but I never would of imagined her on this level

• January 24, 2013 at 7:12 pmVivace

Thats how she become my most favourite captain all the time.

• January 25, 2013 at 7:02 amRex

She was likely kept out of battle because:
      1: She is the ultimate ace in the sleeve
      2: She is so “crazy” that once she is unleashed, she wont revert to normal again.
      3: The captain commander wanted to keep at least one strong fighting asset in a safe place, in case shit hits the fan. Which it did.
      4: Some other explanation.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:04 pmMagoiichi

Kenpachi…shed…tears….

The Bleach is a lie.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:06 pmXNihili

Probably cursed to be unable to kill anybody, every time she kills someone, he comes back to life. And it would be the reason she is on the medical team.

• January 24, 2013 at 4:32 pmKarmafan

Thats a very good guess. It would make sense. We will see in the coming weeks.

• January 24, 2013 at 7:20 pmCamora

It could be that her nature as a bloodlusting sadist makes it so her abilities revive you enough just so she can kill you over and over again.

• January 24, 2013 at 9:33 pmjunglepenguin

Friends, do not follow the advice given here seriously.
    What kills you does NOT make you stronger. It makes you dead.
    Just making sure. That is all.

• January 25, 2013 at 1:30 amZahha

I am not sure exactly why but I got this inescapable feeling that Unohana is Kenpachi’s mother. R I crazy? xD

• January 25, 2013 at 2:53 amYanDaMan

Why the hell was Unohana even ordered to sit still during the Quincy invasion? She looked like she could’ve just slaughtered them all except for Juha and the other top dogs.

• January 25, 2013 at 6:48 amSeishowmeu

I think it’s about the sword she is using. It’s been shown in the past in shikai form that it can heal. The question is: Does her sword have multiple abilities or goes she have multiple swords? Being that she is the Master of All Sword Styles it could be both! I know one only thing.. Her Bankai WILL BE PURE FAN SERVICE! #NoComplaintsHere

• January 25, 2013 at 7:00 amRex

Well “heal”, is a slight stretch. We have only seen that giant flying manta ray thing, which can heal people in its mouth. But think about this, it could very well be that the flying manta ray is just keeping the healing water from the zero division, in its mouth.

• January 25, 2013 at 9:42 amDamrod

How come her bankai would be pure fanservice if you don’t mind me asking?

• January 25, 2013 at 6:58 amRex

Well we know that they have clashed some time in the past. And that was enough of a battle to make Kenpachi idolize Unohana.

Remember that Kenpachi said he was a man with no name and no past, just killing to pass the time, until Unohana came along. Her sin, is very likely that she is the reason Kenpachi lives for the battle.

She was a murderous maniac in the past, and something made her stop and do a 180 and become a healer. She see’s her sin as turning Kenpachi into what he is now. Also why she critizes his fighting style, he rampages on not giving a second thought.

That is my two cents.

• January 25, 2013 at 9:17 amLith

So, I am a little interested in how Zaraki landed a decisive blow(The only wound she has ever had ) that allow him to gain the tile of Kenpachi When this fight seemed to one sided. Further, what is it about Zaraki that lead the old man to the conclusion he could never be trained in the art of killing?

I also would like to know how the old man would have stacked up against the zero division members

• January 25, 2013 at 9:45 amRex

it is highly likely that yamaji is/was on par with the zero squad. Maybe he is potentially a zero squad member. Because look at it like this: One of them has to stay behind to lead SS, right?

Also, he might have given up on Kenpachi because he didnt have enough patience, or he didnt look further than his first impressions. “This brute will never be a proper fighter!”, but of course still keep him around because, well he does pack a punch.

• January 25, 2013 at 5:27 pmLaughingMan

That scene where the blade is ran through Kenpachi’s throat was actually an illusion. Remember when Ichigo and Kenpachi first fought and Ichigo imagined being stabbed due to the sheer amount of bloodlust that exuded from Kenpachi?: http://youtu.be/kP14oES6gsA?t=41s
    That’s basically what Unohana did to Kenpachi.

• January 26, 2013 at 4:25 amRex

Although your theory is understandable, it is debunked because Unohana still has the blood on her face afterwards. There are other powers at play.

• January 28, 2013 at 1:26 pmLith

Well, is seems Zaraki has to “cross” the border of death. However, even Zaraki cant explain wtf happened – just decides to not give a damn, and move forward… this week’s should be great. I have to say with Zaraki being a fan favorite this is bound to be an interestng sub-plot. Looking back Uno’s Job isnt to kill Zaraki anyway, its to train him, and after re-reading this chapter. My assesment is she is doig exactly that. I would like to know if Zaraki has gotten comfortable and “weaker”, as Uno’ states she didnt have timt to use the “cheap tricks” last time. Honestly I am far more invested in this sub of the arc than I think I will be in Ichigo’s hertitage questsions. All I know is they both better come out of there, and Juha Bach needs to get severed by one of the Kenpachi and not Ichigo… hrmm or GrimmJaw- who wasn’t waiting for his epic return. I do however predict a DBZ style ” Only I can kill him ” intro… damn I digress, this is what a long day @ work typo code will do to an Otaku… Fortunately I can drink on the job :) and now back to work

• March 28, 2013 at 10:18 pmLim Lynn

Now I understand why Yamaji said Zanjustsu isn’t suitable for Zaraki Kenpachi because he doesn’t show his patience because he already conceal his real self compared to Yachiru Unohana 1st incident hurting her. After he show his real self then he’s ready for Zanjutsu learning the art to use the Zanpakuto efficiently not simply swinging swords for pleasure.